***Official*** LeEco 2016 UMax85 Owners Thread (UHD/HDR/DV) No Price Talk Please - Page 71 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1531Likes

post #2101 of 3216 Old 02-02-2018, 06:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked: 552
Do you have an idea of how many of these TV's exist?

It might provide incentive for your Tech if after you all have his firmware, for him to be able to copyright and offer to sell that file to other owners.

There's no doubt owners reluctant to pay anything on speculation but would be eager to purchase after it's proven and reported for specific improvement by you pioneers.

This price should logically be greater than what you paid.
Art
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2102 of 3216 Old 02-02-2018, 07:26 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotart View Post
Do you have an idea of how many of these TV's exist?

It might provide incentive for your Tech if after you all have his firmware, for him to be able to copyright and offer to sell that file to other owners.

There's no doubt owners reluctant to pay anything on speculation but would be eager to purchase after it's proven and reported for specific improvement by you pioneers.

This price should logically be greater than what you paid.
Art
For a fully tested and proven working update, I would pay. I have been working in the database world for the last 4 years and have risen into consulting. I work with developers on a daily basis as well as am learning coding in the database I work with. My experience with things like this is they often have bugs during internal and predeployment user acceptance testing due to the developer not being able to put the work through everything an end user will. It is just the nature of the beast. He sounds like a good guy though.

Receiver: Denon AVR-X6300H, 7.3.4 Atmos: Subs: PSA 1 S7201, 2 V3611, Fronts: SVS Ultra Towers, Center: SVS Ultra Center, Surrounds: 4 SVS Ultra Bookshelves, Ceilings: 4 JBL 81C
TV: LeEco uMax85, Disc Player: Sony UBP-X700
HTC: Water Cooled, MB: Z170 Gaming G1, CPU: 6700K @ 4.5GHz, RAM: 64GB DDR4 3600, SSD: 1TB 960 EVO, 1TB M8Pe(G), HDD: 2x 12 TB, PSU: SuperNOVA 1000, GPU: 2080ti, Case: 909
post #2103 of 3216 Old 02-02-2018, 08:01 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfish234 View Post
Me - $150
@Eric Van Boven - $150
@Todd Schramek - $150
@pep - $150
@bennutt - $150
@Game Fan - $150
@smjbj - $150
@Punks - $150
@IBNR - $150
@sdchrgrboy - $150
@amocomedia - $150
@snpanago - not sure how much
@toomanytvstosee - Willing to have him travel to his location

Total - $1,650

I hear everyone's concerns and agree as far far as half upfront and half when complete. Personally I feel like to motivate him to spend the time and effort we'd have to be willing to part with 1/2 even if he is not fully successful. I'm not trying to be condescending but if anyone has strong objections to potentially throwing $75 bucks down the drain, please let me know.

If he's willing to travel then a chunk of this would go toward travel / room & board. I'll pm him tomorrow and see what his thoughts are on all these specifics that I'll present to him, ask him for a timeline, etc. and then report back here. He typically takes a few days to get back to me and generally doesn't reply on weekends so we should have a better idea of where we stand some time next week.

I'm continually open to more feedback and suggestions.
@mfish234 , just a suggestion here. Going forward, it may now be time to take this discussion to a pm basis.
bennutt likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2104 of 3216 Old 02-02-2018, 03:55 PM
pep

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Game Fan View Post
Until you guys get your spare remotes, click on this link, http://eui.le.com/tv.html, scroll down the page to the qr code. The qr will take you to the app store and you can download the LeEco remote app to your iPhone. It's all in Chinese, but I think you can compare it to the actual remote and figure it out.
When I try this I get an invalid address error.

On a side subject, it is sad that LeEco ran into issues. It looks like they had a lot of potential in the set. I can't read Chinese but I get the impression the camera mount would allow video calls along with gesture recognition.
post #2105 of 3216 Old 02-02-2018, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pep View Post
When I try this I get an invalid address error.

On a side subject, it is sad that LeEco ran into issues. It looks like they had a lot of potential in the set. I can't read Chinese but I get the impression the camera mount would allow video calls along with gesture recognition.
No idea on the address error, but you might try turning it off and back on with the switch, on the back of the TV, and trying again. Mine just worked, after I selected the android device. My TV is connected by ethernet, not wifi. The app works just like the remote. I think some people, early on in the forum, while on US firmware, sideloaded Skype and got it to work.
post #2106 of 3216 Old 02-02-2018, 06:56 PM
pep

Quote:
No idea on the address error, but you might try turning it off and back on with the switch, on the back of the TV, and trying again. Mine just worked, after I selected the android device. My TV is connected by ethernet, not wifi. The app works just like the remote. I think some people, early on in the forum, while on US firmware, sideloaded Skype and got it to work.
I think I got confused. I thought the was a remote app for the iPhone. I used my iPhone camera to read the QR code. Now it sounds like you are saying his is something you load on the TV? How too you get the TV to recognize the QR code? Sorry, I know I'm missing something.
post #2107 of 3216 Old 02-02-2018, 08:45 PM

Quote:
I think I got confused. I thought the was a remote app for the iPhone. I used my iPhone camera to read the QR code. Now it sounds like you are saying his is something you load on the TV? How too you get the TV to recognize the QR code? Sorry, I know I'm missing something.
You were correct about the iPhone. The qr code takes you to the app store, where you download the app. It's called LeControl. Once you download it, open the remote app. You have to find your android device, which is your TV, tap on it and it will be selected and a green check mark will show beside it. Once that happens, the remote app works on your phone, exactly as the actual remote does. That's how I did it, anyway.
IBNR likes this.
post #2108 of 3216 Old 02-02-2018, 10:28 PM
pep

Quote:
You were correct about the iPhone. The qr code takes you to the app store, where you download the app. It's called LeControl. Once you download it, open the remote app. You have to find your android device, which is your TV, tap on it and it will be selected and a green check mark will show beside it. Once that happens, the remote app works on your phone, exactly as the actual remote does. That's how I did it, anyway.
The QR code didn’t work but a search in the App Store for Lecontrol did. Now I need to figure out how to make it connect. What did you mean about sideloading Skype.?
post #2109 of 3216 Old 02-03-2018, 05:49 AM

Quote:
The QR code didn’t work but a search in the App Store for Lecontrol did. Now I need to figure out how to make it connect. What did you mean about sideloading Skype.?
Glad you found it. Maybe my instructions weren't best on how to do this. Sorry for the confusion.

I can't read Chinese but I get the impression the camera mount would allow video calls along with gesture recognition.[/QUOTE]

^The Skype comment was in reference to this point you made.
post #2110 of 3216 Old 02-03-2018, 07:31 AM
pep

Quote:
Glad you found it. Maybe my instructions weren't best on how to do this. Sorry for the confusion.

I can't read Chinese but I get the impression the camera mount would allow video calls along with gesture recognition.
^The Skype comment was in reference to this point you made.[/QUOTE]

Got it now I have to figure how to make the app find the TV. I am on US firmware. Is that a problem?
post #2111 of 3216 Old 02-03-2018, 08:01 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Got it now I have to figure how to make the app find the TV. I am on US firmware. Is that a problem?[/QUOTE]

I played around the LeControl app some more last night and still can't get it to find my TV. TV is on the same WIFI network as my iPhone, so who knows. I'm also on the US firmware -- maybe it's looking for the CN firmware?
post #2112 of 3216 Old 02-03-2018, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Got it now I have to figure how to make the app find the TV. I am on US firmware. Is that a problem?[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewMahon View Post
Got it now I have to figure how to make the app find the TV. I am on US firmware. Is that a problem?
I played around the LeControl app some more last night and still can't get it to find my TV. TV is on the same WIFI network as my iPhone, so who knows. I'm also on the US firmware -- maybe it's looking for the CN firmware?[/QUOTE]

I bet that's it. I'm on CN firmware & you two aren't. Maybe some more folks on the CN firmware can try the app to confirm.
post #2113 of 3216 Old 02-03-2018, 09:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I'm on the CN firmware. When I'm on Hdmi 1 and I turn the TV off, then turn the TV back on the TV starts out on the network home page of the TV. Is this normal? Anyway to get the TV to start in HDMI 1?
post #2114 of 3216 Old 02-03-2018, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockokma View Post
I'm on the CN firmware. When I'm on Hdmi 1 and I turn the TV off, then turn the TV back on the TV starts out on the network home page of the TV. Is this normal? Anyway to get the TV to start in HDMI 1?
Quote:
Here's how you did it: Arrow up, then right arrow over to last option on the right. It looks like a house with a gear in the bottom right corner. Then hit select (big center button) which brings you to the inputdesktop screen. Here you choose input and set it as your default screen. Then back out from there and you're done. Maybe this will help some others too.
@Rockokma , if this is what you're trying to do, it should work. Give it a try. You can set it to either of the 3 inputs and it will then be your home page.
IBNR likes this.
post #2115 of 3216 Old 02-03-2018, 04:52 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 191
If you want some Dolby Vision eye candy to exercise the LeEco, check out Altered Carbon on Netflix. Awesome stuff!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Game Fan, snpanago and IBNR like this.
post #2116 of 3216 Old 02-04-2018, 09:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennutt View Post
If you want some Dolby Vision eye candy to exercise the LeEco, check out Altered Carbon on Netflix. Awesome stuff!

How do you get Dolby Vision to kick in using streaming? Are you using some streaming box that is recognized by the UMAX through HDMI? Are you using the Chinese firmware? I have not found a way to do this.
Also, I have been noticing some behavior of the UMAX with the new XFinity XG1v4 cable box. Does anyone else have this XFinity box? What I am seeing is that for regular programming I need to change my UMAX advanced setting for "Movies" (the setting I use for most things) from native to Rec 709 to get good looking colors (especially reds) if I set the XG1v4 to 2160 60 fps (best available). Also, I'm not at all sure I am getting HDR from the XG1v4 box since I never see the HDR logo. Also, the XG1v4 Netflix never shows programs to be HDR. I therefore assume that I am not getting Netflix HDR from the XG1v4. I do have my XG1v4 and my Shield plugged into my Denon AVR X3200w which is supposed to be fully HDMI 2.2 compliant. I get Netflix HDR programming on my Shield this way.
To get HDR to engage, other that through the UMAX Netflix, I have start the HDR program on my NVidia Shield (Netflix or Amazon) or from my server, pause the program, go to the UMAX Netflix, start an HDR program, pause the program, change back to Shield or server. Then I have glorious HDR. I never see the HDR display on screen but if I go into the settings it does show "HDR".
I have to repeat the process to get the Shield to display non HDR material that is not oversaturated. I have perfected this process but it is still an annoyance and still no Dolby Vision. I am never able to get Dolby Vision through streaming. The only way I have been able to get Dolby Vision is with a Dolby Vision file on a USB thumb drive or server plugged directly into the UMAX. Now, I have my server plugged into my Shield to allow for 7.1 DTS-TrueHD or Master sound for some of my 4k HDR movies. I can only get Dolby DTS 5.1 through the optical return from the UMAX.
I really do love the UMAX 85 even with it's flaws. Anyone have something to add?
post #2117 of 3216 Old 02-04-2018, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Howard View Post
How do you get Dolby Vision to kick in using streaming? Are you using some streaming box that is recognized by the UMAX through HDMI? Are you using the Chinese firmware? I have not found a way to do this.

Also, I have been noticing some behavior of the UMAX with the new XFinity XG1v4 cable box. Does anyone else have this XFinity box? What I am seeing is that for regular programming I need to change my UMAX advanced setting for "Movies" (the setting I use for most things) from native to Rec 709 to get good looking colors (especially reds) if I set the XG1v4 to 2160 60 fps (best available). Also, I'm not at all sure I am getting HDR from the XG1v4 box since I never see the HDR logo. Also, the XG1v4 Netflix never shows programs to be HDR. I therefore assume that I am not getting Netflix HDR from the XG1v4. I do have my XG1v4 and my Shield plugged into my Denon AVR X3200w which is supposed to be fully HDMI 2.2 compliant. I get Netflix HDR programming on my Shield this way.

To get HDR to engage, other that through the UMAX Netflix, I have start the HDR program on my NVidia Shield (Netflix or Amazon) or from my server, pause the program, go to the UMAX Netflix, start an HDR program, pause the program, change back to Shield or server. Then I have glorious HDR. I never see the HDR display on screen but if I go into the settings it does show "HDR".

I have to repeat the process to get the Shield to display non HDR material that is not oversaturated. I have perfected this process but it is still an annoyance and still no Dolby Vision. I am never able to get Dolby Vision through streaming. The only way I have been able to get Dolby Vision is with a Dolby Vision file on a USB thumb drive or server plugged directly into the UMAX. Now, I have my server plugged into my Shield to allow for 7.1 DTS-TrueHD or Master sound for some of my 4k HDR movies. I can only get Dolby DTS 5.1 through the optical return from the UMAX.

I really do love the UMAX 85 even with it's flaws. Anyone have something to add?

Can’t help with the rest of that, but I’ll confirm I’m using the Chinese firmware. I’ve made my peace with Al Pacino.

IBNR likes this.
post #2118 of 3216 Old 02-04-2018, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am looking to use a Logitech Harmony companion remote with this. My problem is when trying to watch any built in apps. I cant figure out how to get the logitech to go to the tvs home page. This might be covered already and if so, I am sorry. I spent a few hours searching and didnt find any good fixes.

Also, I am willing to pitch in for an updated firmware
IBNR likes this.
post #2119 of 3216 Old 02-04-2018, 12:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfish234 View Post
XDA Dev Response - Please reply with how much $$ you can contribute / any other useful feedback

Hi Everyone - I just heard back from the Dev. I think I got us full feedback on everything that we all chimed in on except HLG HDR and I'll mention that in my reply.

Please see below. Essentially he's a busy guy so it will take some time - totally fine by me. It's a miracle this is even possible and we have someone with the talent who is potentially willing to help

Feel free to give me any feedback you think is useful.

Also, it sounds like if he has physical access to a set that would really grease the wheels on HDR and DV related progress. He lives in Quebec Canada - is anyone close by? If not, someone (may not me this time. LOL) would more than likely have to be the guinea pig to test changes, report big, rinse repeat. Or maybe buy him a plane ticket if he's willing to do a house call.

Lastly, I'd like to offer a somewhat specific $$$ figure to make it worth his while. I wonk a few of you have chimed in but I honestly didn't track it but I will now. Personally I'm in for $150. Please let me know who else will contribute and how much.

Below is the full response I got from him:

Mstar do not share their sources. So it is extremely difficult to find information and sources. I found a nice Chinese guy who worked in a small tv software company in China (He does not work there any more) So he shared some code for older models (for 6a928 and older, your cpu is 938). I spent a lot of time to analyze the sources.
Their code consists of four big parts:

- MBOOT Basically it is a custom bootloader, which is based on opensource uboot (There is also tiny proprietary low level bootloader called sboot, which makes all initial configuration of the cpu and other hardware. Sboot is the very first entry point of the boot sequence)
- So called "Supernova". It's a huge additional proprietary abstract device related layer between hardware and the system (android)
- Android, which has whole bunch of libraries to work with supernova and NUTTX.
- There is also NUTTX. It's a small real-time OS which is always running. It does all security things and runs in special security area of the CPU. There is no any direct access to that area.

Now about your wishes.

1. Enable full Dolby Vision support (via HDMI and streaming apps). Again it does fully function in the Chinese firmware. I know you said you'd need physical access to a UMAX85 but is there any way possible to accomplish this without physical access? This is the most desired feature.
As I said I do not have sources, for your mst6a938 The only option here is to play with binary libraries, ie extract all what we need from the Chinese firmware and move it to US rom. I did something similar for X3-65Pro. So I believe it can be done. Ideally I need access to the tv, but it can be done without, just will require much more time for testing every single change.

2. Change settings menu to Chinese layout while maintaining the exact functionality and all options in the US menu. Or if you could just completely remove the shaded background in the US menu that darkens half the screen (basically make the menu background 100% transparent that would serve the same purpose)
It is doable. I can simply unpack settings APK and do any cosmetic and/or layout change you want. Do not think I need access to the TV in that case.

3. Update to Android version 7.1.2 (allegedly fixes many audio related bugs)
Can not be done without sources.

4. I personally get this random flicker regardless of HDMI source or viewing content with native apps. Most others don't have this. I'm thinking it might be faulty hardware (t-con board, mainboard, lvds cable??) But maybe not? Any way to fix this with software or can you tell definitively what hardware component malfunction would cause this.? You can see this in the following Youtube video I made. It's not the first "flicker" - that's a legit abrupt change in lighting in the content. But the 2nd one around the 2 second mark is what I'm talking about. [I left the link out as to not clutter this post)
I may be wrong, but it seems a hardware issue. What I would do very first is to open the back panel and unplug and clean all cables, connectors etc and then just plug it back. That is just to exclude that obvious "bad cable connection reason".
If it does not help I would also try to change wire position in the tv, interference of a power source can case something similar. Usually there are two boards inside. Bigger one is an android board and a smaller one is a power supply board.
If these simple steps do not help then it needs deeper investigation

5. HDR10 bug fix. When initially playing a HDR10 content usually the colors are washed out and the fix is to switch to another HDMI input and then switch back to input one you were originally on playing the HDR10 content on and then it works. Other users report this is fixed on Chinese firmware but I still had the bug and actually it was worse on Chinese firmware for me. In addition to the bug where you have to change inputs, HDR10 would only play @ 4k/30hz via my Roku Ultra whereas on US firmware it worked fine at 4K/60hz, which the set is capable of.
Same as for #1. I can play with binary libs or the simplest software "hack" I can do is to quickly switch between HDMI inputs (same as you do manually)

6. Keep functionality of the United States Over the air tuner (Chinese firmware "breaks" this)
It is doable.

7. Keep ability to install apps from the United States Google Play Store
It is doable.

Honestly, I'm not really sure when I will be available work on your project. Except of my main job I have a couple other projects. I just got a new interesting project which takes a lot of my time.
FYI I have this occasional flicker on my Umax 85 as well, regardless of source. Maybe once every 10-15 minutes.
IBNR likes this.

post #2120 of 3216 Old 02-04-2018, 01:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Add me to the $150 pool for updated firmware.

legolad, can you add how to update to CN firmware on the first page? It is difficult to find the process in this long thread!
IBNR likes this.

post #2121 of 3216 Old 02-04-2018, 03:11 PM
Advanced Member

***Official*** LeEco 2016 UMax85 Owners Thread (UHD/HDR/DV) No Price Talk Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearse View Post
Add me to the $150 pool for updated firmware.

legolad, can you add how to update to CN firmware on the first page? It is difficult to find the process in this long thread!

Chrisfsk is credited with CN instructions. Search for his posts in this thread.

IBNR likes this.
post #2122 of 3216 Old 02-04-2018, 10:56 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
1) Apple TV or Chromecast Ultra or Oppo net a nice DV on the Umax with CN Firmware.

2) I also have the XG1v4, never could get the colors working nicely above 1080p being set.
The XG1v4 does not currently have HDR is my understanding and only netflix with 4k.
Didn't know to try REC 709 to fix that. Wonder if regular cable tv pic looks better with the XG1v4 being set to 4k vs 1080p? I will look to see if the CN Firmware has a REC 709 setting, I don't think it does? Anyone found it?

Thanks!
IBNR likes this.
post #2123 of 3216 Old 02-05-2018, 08:09 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
1. Currently, getting DV to work with *any* source over HDMI requires that you run the TV on the latest CN firmware. Unless LeEco provides an official update of the US firmware to implement DV (which at this point we all must assume will never happen) or the XDA Dev Project is able to make it work through the existing US firmware (which at this point very much remains to be seen), using the CN firmware is the *only* way to get DV through HDMI. I'm running CN and DV-enabled content through the new Apple TV 4K works perfectly and is really amazing.

2. Can't help with the cable box question as I do not have that device. Note that the CN firmware does not have a color space setting option under any of the picture modes; you lose that when you go off the US firmware.

3. What you are describing regarding HDR sounds a lot like the "HDR Bug" that plagues these sets...i.e., the TV does not seem to handshake properly with an incoming HDR10 signal via HDMI, and you have to cycle the TV to another input and then back to the HDMI input with the HDR content running to get the TV to recognize it and switch into HDR mode. Based on the reports of other users on this thread, I do not believe there is a consistent, fool-proof way to fix this. I had this bug with the US firmware, and still have it with the CN firmware (but only with HDR10...on the CN firmware my TV correctly switches in and out of DV mode automatically every time).

4. On the US firmware, there is no "HDR" display or info bubble that appears on the screen...that happens only on the CN firmware. On the US firmware, the only way to confirm that the TV is in HDR mode is to open the settings menu while the content is playing and check the Picture Mode...if the TV is properly displaying HDR10, the Picture Mode will say "HDR" and that will be the only picture mode available.

5. I'm not sure about this but I think that Dolby 5.1 is the highest level of surround sound encoding that optical is capable of passing? I do know that optical cannot pass any sort of Atmos or DTS:X encoding.

Last edited by IBNR; 02-05-2018 at 09:20 PM.
post #2124 of 3216 Old 02-05-2018, 08:19 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebaum View Post
I am looking to use a Logitech Harmony companion remote with this. My problem is when trying to watch any built in apps. I cant figure out how to get the logitech to go to the tvs home page. This might be covered already and if so, I am sorry. I spent a few hours searching and didnt find any good fixes.

Also, I am willing to pitch in for an updated firmware
Sounds like you're on the US firmware, right? If so I think the consensus is that the "LeEco uMax85" Harmony profile works best for purposes of programming your Harmony remote for this TV, but even then you may have to manually "teach" the Harmony certain commands off the original LeEco remote during the Harmony setup process. You should be able to teach it the "Home" button, which looks like a little house on the LeEco remote.

Note FYI that if you ever move to the CN firmware, the "LeTV X50 Air" Harmony profile will work much better post-update.
post #2125 of 3216 Old 02-05-2018, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by game fan View Post
@rockokma , if this is what you're trying to do, it should work. Give it a try. You can set it to either of the 3 inputs and it will then be your home page.
thank you!!!
post #2126 of 3216 Old 02-05-2018, 10:29 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Is the Umax Directv ready?
post #2127 of 3216 Old 02-05-2018, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Hi all, I have discovered some behavior related to the UMAX 85, my NVidia Shield and YouTube. I have been unable to get the UMAX YouTube app to display HDR. When I play a YouTube clip that is supposed to be HDR I never can get the settings to show HDR. I have found that I can get HDR on YouTube on my Shield. It is a little convoluted but here is how I have done it. First I need to go to the Netflix app on the Shield. I then start a program that is in HDR. I pause that program, go back to the UMAX main menu and select the Netflix app. I start a program on the UMAX Netflix that is HDR. I pause that program and return to my Shield. The Shield Netflix app is now in HDR. I close the Shield Netflix app and the Shield main menu remains in HDR. I initiate the YouTube app and everything I play in YouTube is in HDR. For HDR programming that is great and the videos are incredible. Of course, the non-HDR videos look oversaturated. I can just go to the UMAX menu and select another input and return to the Shield to return to non HDR. The Shield will not convert to HDR if you do the above process in the Shield menu. When you return from the UMAX Netflix the Shield menu remains "Movies" or whatever you are using for the Shield. Thought some that have the Shield and haven't found this quirk might want to know about it. For other android boxes it might work the same way.
post #2128 of 3216 Old 02-05-2018, 11:25 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 114
cant wait to watch the olympics in 4k on the 85
IBNR likes this.
post #2129 of 3216 Old 02-05-2018, 11:36 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Hi all, I have discovered some behavior related to the UMAX 85, my NVidia Shield and YouTube. I have been unable to get the UMAX YouTube app to display HDR. When I play a YouTube clip that is supposed to be HDR I never can get the settings to show HDR. I have found that I can get HDR on YouTube on my Shield. It is a little convoluted but here is how I have done it. First I need to go to the Netflix app on the Shield. I then start a program that is in HDR. I pause that program, go back to the UMAX main menu and select the Netflix app. I start a program on the UMAX Netflix that is HDR. I pause that program and return to my Shield. The Shield Netflix app is now in HDR. I close the Shield Netflix app and the Shield main menu remains in HDR. I initiate the YouTube app and everything I play in YouTube is in HDR. For HDR programming that is great and the videos are incredible. Of course, the non-HDR videos look oversaturated. I can just go to the UMAX menu and select another input and return to the Shield to return to non HDR. The Shield will not convert to HDR if you do the above process in the Shield menu. When you return from the UMAX Netflix the Shield menu remains "Movies" or whatever you are using for the Shield. Thought some that have the Shield and haven't found this quirk might want to know about it. For other android boxes it might work the same way.
I do the same thing, works great!!
post #2130 of 3216 Old 02-05-2018, 08:23 PM
pep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TITCOBRA00 View Post
Is the Umax Directv ready?
What do you mean by this?
IBNR likes this.