***Official*** LeEco 2016 UMax85 Owners Thread (UHD/HDR/DV) No Price Talk Please - Page 81 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1528Likes

post #2401 of 3152 Old 03-05-2018, 06:40 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by msheikh25 View Post
For anyone that has this mounted, how high did you mount this TV? The couch directly across from the TV is almost 20' to the back of the couch so using the optimal mounting height formulas, I get about 90" to the middle of the TV. That would put the top of the TV over 9' high and probably look crazy. I'm thinking of just making the bottom of the TV 42" from the floor so the top will be right at 7' (84"). That would be the same height of door frames in the house. It is going in a great room with 18' ceiling but maybe even that is too high since I'm planning to put an in-wall center channel speaker above it. Curious what height others have it mounted at?
I've got mine at 38" to the bottom of the TV and it is 13' away from the MLP. No neck strain, it looks good on the wall and gives enough room for a floating cabinet (had to have one made because I used the InWin 909 for the HTC I built and it is massive). If the couch's headrests didn't adjust for when they're reclined though I'm not sure the viewing angle would be perfect. It is perfect without reclining.

Receiver: Denon AVR-X6300H, 7.3.4 Atmos: Subs: PSA 1 S7201, 2 V3611, Fronts: SVS Ultra Towers, Center: SVS Ultra Center, Surrounds: 4 SVS Ultra Bookshelves, Ceilings: 4 JBL 81C
TV: LeEco uMax85, Disc Player: Sony UBP-X700
HTC: Water Cooled, MB: Z170 Gaming G1, CPU: 6700K @ 4.5GHz, RAM: 64GB DDR4 3600, SSD: 1TB 960 EVO, 1TB M8Pe(G), HDD: 2x 12 TB, PSU: SuperNOVA 1000, GPU: 2080ti, Case: 909
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2402 of 3152 Old 03-05-2018, 12:31 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 113
hey all. been away for a bit. Whats the latest with the XDA dev.
post #2403 of 3152 Old 03-05-2018, 01:42 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanytvstosee View Post

I’ll take “How to save a bunch of guys a wad of cash” for $150, Alex...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Game Fan and IBNR like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2404 of 3152 Old 03-05-2018, 02:17 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennutt View Post
I’ll take “How to save a bunch of guys a wad of cash” for $150, Alex...

^Now that's funny!^
IBNR likes this.
post #2405 of 3152 Old 03-05-2018, 03:30 PM

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Crickets and tumbleweeds blowing in the wind. He sent me a pm a few weeks ago that with his limited time he could root the android firmware. I asked him if that would let us get Us settings on top of CN firmware (with Dolby Vision) and didn't hear back and told him I would like the rooted firmware. Sent a pm last week to try and get a response and still haven't heard back.

I'll keep trying but not looking good. I could be wrong but I'm thinking if we're not getting into any low level chipset / hardware things (since the CN firmware has DV enabled fully) and we're more or less try to merge the best of the US and with the best of the CN then I have a feeling any old knowledgeable Android dev could accomplish that.

Maybe it's time to just post the bounty (maybe just say it's "generous" so we're not showing all our cards, although it wouldn't be hard to find it here) in one of the main XDA forums and see what kind of response we get.
post #2406 of 3152 Old 03-06-2018, 07:04 PM
pep

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by msheikh25 View Post
For anyone that has this mounted, how high did you mount this TV? The couch directly across from the TV is almost 20' to the back of the couch so using the optimal mounting height formulas, I get about 90" to the middle of the TV. That would put the top of the TV over 9' high and probably look crazy. I'm thinking of just making the bottom of the TV 42" from the floor so the top will be right at 7' (84"). That would be the same height of door frames in the house. It is going in a great room with 18' ceiling but maybe even that is too high since I'm planning to put an in-wall center channel speaker above it. Curious what height others have it mounted at?
I have two mounted. Here is a picture of the one in the family room. The bottom is 70" from the floor. I don't fully recline the couch. That would have my chin in my chest when watching. I do have the TV tilted down somewhat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6081.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	789.4 KB
ID:	2371642   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6080.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	881.4 KB
ID:	2371644  
IBNR likes this.
post #2407 of 3152 Old 03-07-2018, 07:52 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by pep View Post
I have two mounted. Here is a picture of the one in the family room. The bottom is 70" from the floor. I don't fully recline the couch. That would have my chin in my chest when watching. I do have the TV tilted down somewhat.
Amazing to se this monster mounted up above a fireplace like that, very cool!
post #2408 of 3152 Old 03-07-2018, 12:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBNR View Post
Amazing to se this monster mounted up above a fireplace like that, very cool!
I just receive mine last saturday and i also have the banding and dirty screen on lite background.
On mine you can see a small checker board pattern on the entire screen. When the camera pan
up or down you can see tiny square on the entire screen. I already update the latest us firmware
and local dimming is on. Any body have similar issues.
post #2409 of 3152 Old 03-07-2018, 05:01 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I?m learning to live with it.... most tv have some sort of these problems, besides that and the occasional flickering this tv is one of the best purchases I ever made the picture quality is incredible very close to the picture quality I had with the Sony 940e! the only difference is the brightness
post #2410 of 3152 Old 03-07-2018, 05:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1344 Post(s)
Liked: 1029
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfish234 View Post
Crickets and tumbleweeds blowing in the wind. He sent me a pm a few weeks ago that with his limited time he could root the android firmware. I asked him if that would let us get Us settings on top of CN firmware (with Dolby Vision) and didn't hear back and told him I would like the rooted firmware. Sent a pm last week to try and get a response and still haven't heard back.

I'll keep trying but not looking good. I could be wrong but I'm thinking if we're not getting into any low level chipset / hardware things (since the CN firmware has DV enabled fully) and we're more or less try to merge the best of the US and with the best of the CN then I have a feeling any old knowledgeable Android dev could accomplish that.

Maybe it's time to just post the bounty (maybe just say it's "generous" so we're not showing all our cards, although it wouldn't be hard to find it here) in one of the main XDA forums and see what kind of response we get.
This should not be an issue for a good developer, well most of it anyways. The problem is you really need one that has the device and also the energy to go at this full blast. Most of us Developers like a challenge so that's how you sell this project to one.

Current Sets: Sony XBR65A9F Master Series, Sony XBR75X940C, Sony XBR75X940D, Samsung UN65KS9800, TCL 65R617
Previous Sets: Samsung Q9FN, Sony XBR65X930D, XBR65X900B, XBR49X830C, Samsung KS8000, KU6500, UN55KS8500, UN49JS8500, JS9000, JU7090, JU6500, JU6400, HU9000, HU7250, PN64F8500, Vizio P65, LG 65EF9500, LG 55EC9300, Hisense 55H8C, TCL P-Series (55P607)
post #2411 of 3152 Old 03-07-2018, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper32 View Post
This should not be an issue for a good developer, well most of it anyways. The problem is you really need one that has the device and also the energy to go at this full blast. Most of us Developers like a challenge so that's how you sell this project to one.
Are you auditioning?
post #2412 of 3152 Old 03-07-2018, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunii View Post
I?m learning to live with it.... most tv have some sort of these problems, besides that and the occasional flickering this tv is one of the best purchases I ever made the picture quality is incredible very close to the picture quality I had with the Sony 940e! the only difference is the brightness
Thanks nunii . I guess i am not only one with the issue.
I will also try to live with it and not go to the hassle of returning it.
post #2413 of 3152 Old 03-07-2018, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoresidehd View Post
Thanks nunii . I guess i am not only one with the issue.
I will also try to live with it and not go to the hassle of returning it.
Have you tried turning the TV off then back on, with the switch on the bottom left, to see if that makes any difference?
post #2414 of 3152 Old 03-07-2018, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game Fan View Post
Have you tried turning the TV off then back on, with the switch on the bottom left, to see if that makes any difference?
Yes i tried and nothing seems to work.
I guess me and nunii did not win the panel lotery. Haha
post #2415 of 3152 Old 03-08-2018, 11:08 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Yes i tried and nothing seems to work.
I guess me and nunii did not win the panel lotery. Haha
Can you take a pic of the problem?
I do not have any issues that you mentioned.
post #2416 of 3152 Old 03-08-2018, 11:09 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlos0001 View Post
Can you take a pic of the problem?
I do not have any issues that you mentioned.
Is it happening on the other hdmi inputs as well?
post #2417 of 3152 Old 03-08-2018, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlos0001 View Post
Is it happening on the other hdmi inputs as well?
Yes it happens on all hdmi inputs. It is hard to show on still picture.
It is noticeable on panning shots either veticall or horizontal.
post #2418 of 3152 Old 03-08-2018, 07:53 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Yes it happens on all hdmi inputs. It is hard to show on still picture.

It is noticeable on panning shots either veticall or horizontal.

Try a factory reset.

post #2419 of 3152 Old 03-08-2018, 11:35 PM

Liked: 14
I have the same vertical banding and so do several others. It comes up in posts from time to time, but I don't think anyone has mentioned horizontal banding. I see the vertical banding all the time but my wife doesn't and since it is not talked about more, its either the panel lottery and/or people don't notice it. Last year someone posted they got a replacement due to this, but the replacement was just as bad. After over a year, my banding effect doesn't seem to have changed, so if you can accept it now, you should be OK.
post #2420 of 3152 Old 03-09-2018, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplington View Post
I have the same vertical banding and so do several others. It comes up in posts from time to time, but I don't think anyone has mentioned horizontal banding. I see the vertical banding all the time but my wife doesn't and since it is not talked about more, its either the panel lottery and/or people don't notice it. Last year someone posted they got a replacement due to this, but the replacement was just as bad. After over a year, my banding effect doesn't seem to have changed, so if you can accept it now, you should be OK.
Yea that is what i am thinking. Going to keep this tv, returning this monster
will be a big hasell. The sales price i got still make it a good deal.
Thanks for posting
post #2421 of 3152 Old 03-09-2018, 06:30 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 43
XDA Guy

It has been a long time since I have posted but have been following daily. Fish, I am in the warranty process with Visa to get my money back for this purchase as it is no longer supported and does not operate as advertised. I will keep everyone updated on this. I was one of the November 2016 purchasers of this set. Delivery was not until the end of January of 2017.

I have not switched over to the CN firmware because I use the apps loaded to the TV and I really don’t know enough to mess with the TV. I do work with a guy that is a Android Dev. I spoke with him on March 7th and gave him a run down of our issue. He got back to me today and said it would be easy to take the best of the CN and merge that with the American firmware. Due to the fact we live close to each other I have no problems with him using my set to get one good firmware.

Right now he has the US and the CN firmware and he is rooting them to compare them and then he is going to get back to me. I will keep everyone updated.
post #2422 of 3152 Old 03-09-2018, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Van Driessche View Post
It has been a long time since I have posted but have been following daily. Fish, I am in the warranty process with Visa to get my money back for this purchase as it is no longer supported and does not operate as advertised. I will keep everyone updated on this. I was one of the November 2016 purchasers of this set. Delivery was not until the end of January of 2017.

I have not switched over to the CN firmware because I use the apps loaded to the TV and I really don’t know enough to mess with the TV. I do work with a guy that is a Android Dev. I spoke with him on March 7th and gave him a run down of our issue. He got back to me today and said it would be easy to take the best of the CN and merge that with the American firmware. Due to the fact we live close to each other I have no problems with him using my set to get one good firmware.

Right now he has the US and the CN firmware and he is rooting them to compare them and then he is going to get back to me. I will keep everyone updated.
Cory, this is great news. Thanks for checking in and sharing this with the group. I look forward to what your friend can do for all of us. I sincerely hope you get that refund you're asking for.
post #2423 of 3152 Old 03-09-2018, 07:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked: 692
Quote:

Good luck with your warranty process. If you end up keeping your tv anyway, if you’d like, me or another can walk you through the CN fw process via telephone if your XDA guy isn’t successful in merging the fws.
post #2424 of 3152 Old 03-09-2018, 08:12 PM

Will Do

Quote:
Originally Posted by snpanago View Post
Good luck with your warranty process. If you end up keeping your tv anyway, if you’d like, me or another can walk you through the CN fw process via telephone if your XDA guy isn’t successful in merging the fws.
My hope is that he can use my tv and fix the issues we are all having. If that does not work I would be interested in moving over to the CN firmware, but I need to find a way to side load other apps to give me the smart TV functions. Will keep everyone updated.
post #2425 of 3152 Old 03-10-2018, 08:16 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

I am also one of the lucky few that purchased the set on the original flash sale day. Curious how are you pursuing a refund from the CC 1.5 years later? It woudl be awesome if you get your money back, but would that mean you would need to give up the set?? Great news on the Firmware development.
post #2426 of 3152 Old 03-11-2018, 10:12 AM

My Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by luiss2000 View Post
I am also one of the lucky few that purchased the set on the original flash sale day. Curious how are you pursuing a refund from the CC 1.5 years later? It woudl be awesome if you get your money back, but would that mean you would need to give up the set?? Great news on the Firmware development.
I originally tried to get my money back from Visa because the TV does not function as advertised. Visa responded and indicated that I was outside of the 180 day window for refunds. I was then instructed that I might be able to get my money back if I file a warranty claim with Visa. Apparently, when you use your Visa card the original manufacturer's warranty is extended by one year free of charge. I did not know this. I was told that I would have to have a TV repair technician come out and look at the TV and then provide evidence that the TV is not repairable. I explained to Visa that the only way for the TV to be "repaired" was for the manufacturer to provide us users in America a firmware update. The representative told me to have a tech come out and provide an invoice.

On Friday, I had the tech come out and he wrote on the invoice "TV is unrepairable." I have since submitted the documents to Visa and am awaiting their decision. If they give me my money back and they want to come get the TV then they can come get it. I will then use my $4300 dollar refund and pay up for the new Sony 900, which if my memory serves me correctly is going for about 7k. That is the plan for now, we shall see what happens and I will update everyone here as it happens.
post #2427 of 3152 Old 03-11-2018, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Quote:

@cory Van Drisessche - Sweet! This sounds very promising. I haven't heard from the XDA Dev I was speaking to since 02/15. Sounds like he's just too busy / not motivated by $$$. So by all means let's pursue with your guy. I'm still in for my $150 if he's looking for compensation.
post #2428 of 3152 Old 03-11-2018, 10:49 AM

Quote:
I originally tried to get my money back from Visa because the TV does not function as advertised. Visa responded and indicated that I was outside of the 180 day window for refunds. I was then instructed that I might be able to get my money back if I file a warranty claim with Visa. Apparently, when you use your Visa card the original manufacturer's warranty is extended by one year free of charge. I did not know this. I was told that I would have to have a TV repair technician come out and look at the TV and then provide evidence that the TV is not repairable. I explained to Visa that the only way for the TV to be "repaired" was for the manufacturer to provide us users in America a firmware update. The representative told me to have a tech come out and provide an invoice.

On Friday, I had the tech come out and he wrote on the invoice "TV is unrepairable." I have since submitted the documents to Visa and am awaiting their decision. If they give me my money back and they want to come get the TV then they can come get it. I will then use my $4300 dollar refund and pay up for the new Sony 900, which if my memory serves me correctly is going for about 7k. That is the plan for now, we shall see what happens and I will update everyone here as it happens.
I was successful with getting a full refund from VISA. My issues was the flickering. Basically I opened up the claim online and I called them to explain that although it appears I'm still within 1 year of the manufacturer's warranty, the company is out of business, so the reality is their warranty is no longer valid. It took a couple of weeks for them to confirm. I would imagine they tried their best to see if they could contact LeEco to confirm they're really for all intents and purposes out of business in the US.

Then the TV repair place provided an invoice stating the TV is not repairable due the part needed not being available. About a week after uploading the invoice I received a check for the first purchase price + the $100 diagnostic charge I paid the TV repair place.
post #2429 of 3152 Old 03-12-2018, 06:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfish234 View Post
I was successful with getting a full refund from VISA. My issues was the flickering. Basically I opened up the claim online and I called them to explain that although it appears I'm still within 1 year of the manufacturer's warranty, the company is out of business, so the reality is their warranty is no longer valid. It took a couple of weeks for them to confirm. I would imagine they tried their best to see if they could contact LeEco to confirm they're really for all intents and purposes out of business in the US.

Then the TV repair place provided an invoice stating the TV is not repairable due the part needed not being available. About a week after uploading the invoice I received a check for the first purchase price + the $100 diagnostic charge I paid the TV repair place.
Are they letting you keep the TV? Probably a write-off, not worth the hassle to arrange pickup and transport of the beast for them anyway. Pretty sweet deal. Have yet to get my room finished where mine will go so it's been sitting unboxed in the garage since December. I will remember this if there is any flickering or other things not working to spec. I also bought a SquareTrade warranty to go w/ as well. Hopefully I win the panel lotto and have no issues, but a refund is a nice backstop to know might be there for me in a pinch.
post #2430 of 3152 Old 03-12-2018, 09:54 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemav View Post
Are they letting you keep the TV? Probably a write-off, not worth the hassle to arrange pickup and transport of the beast for them anyway. Pretty sweet deal. Have yet to get my room finished where mine will go so it's been sitting unboxed in the garage since December. I will remember this if there is any flickering or other things not working to spec. I also bought a SquareTrade warranty to go w/ as well. Hopefully I win the panel lotto and have no issues, but a refund is a nice backstop to know might be there for me in a pinch.
Yes they didn't ask for the TV. So I do get to keep it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
dolbyvision , hdr10 , leeco , uhd , umax85

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page