Bias Lighting? - Page 13 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 287Likes

post #361 of 670 Old 03-23-2018, 11:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Has anyone figured out how to add Media Light's IR remote to Logitech Harmony? I bought their IR remote and Logitech doesn't recognize the On/Off buttons when I try to train the remote. Has anyone found a Brand/Model # that works for this remote?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 670 Old 03-23-2018, 11:21 AM
Biased (but nice)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Send a message via Skype™ to Scenic Labs
There is no quick code. You will have to teach the commands using the included remote control. We are working on a custom remote control solution and hope to have a quick code for it relatively soon. Would anybody here be terribly upset if we replaced the radio frequency remote with an infrared remote? We believe that doing so will offer more interoperability with home automation systems.

Jason Rosenfeld
Scenic Labs, LLC
Publisher of Spears & Munsil Benchmark UHD HDR Benchmark.
Maker of The ISF-certified MediaLight 6500K Bias Lighting System
post #363 of 670 Old 03-23-2018, 11:28 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scenic Labs View Post
There is no quick code. You will have to teach the commands using the included remote control. We are working on a custom remote control solution and hope to have a quick code for it relatively soon. Would anybody here be terribly upset if we replaced the radio frequency remote with an infrared remote? We believe that doing so will offer more interoperability with home automation systems.
Thanks for the reply!

So I have the RF remote that came with the LED strip, and then the IR remote that came with the IR box/dimmer. I'm assuming I use the IR remote to train the Harmony? I have a Harmony Hub, and when I use the IR remote to try to train the Harmony Hub it tells me it doesn't recognize the function after I press Off or On. Is there anything else you can think of that I can try? I can play around with pressing other buttons on the remote (like the 100 button), but I'm not sure what else to try. I tried connecting the Hub to my computer and use the MyHarmony app, as well as using the mobile app. It seems Logitech recognizes the model # of the remote, because when I type it in it alerts me that this is the model for a remote and to type the model # of the device instead, but I haven't found the winning combo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #364 of 670 Old 03-23-2018, 12:45 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3526 Post(s)
Liked: 2545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scenic Labs View Post
I still use the original remote that came with my MediaLight (LED Dimmer) but you sent me the new one (IRC240-S) sometime ago which I haven't used yet. The receiving unit for the remote is behind a cabinet door (tv is on a console) and the original remote works fine from across the room (sometimes I have to press the Power button twice before the lights come on). That's not usually a problem because I keep the remote in the console drawer and just power on the lights from about a foot away. The newer remote has many more options on it but in my case I can't use it. A small IR receiver that could be placed in a LOS position in my case would be great.
post #365 of 670 Old 03-23-2018, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerHarley View Post
Thanks.

Is yer avatar Kimi's new ride for this season?
Nah, that's the SF17. No Halo!
HuskerHarley likes this.
post #366 of 670 Old 04-01-2018, 11:39 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 91
@Scenic Labs

I feel dumb for asking this, but is there a way to set your bias light so that it turns on/off with the tv when plugged into the USB? I currently have it plugged into the usb port of my tv, but it only turns on and off with the physical switch and the remote.

LG OLED55C7P | Vizio M65‑E0 | Sony UBP-X700 | Apple TV 4K | Pioneer VSX-1121
post #367 of 670 Old 04-01-2018, 11:58 PM
Biased (but nice)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Send a message via Skype™ to Scenic Labs
It's the TV. I have a Bravia 800 series and I need to use the remote otherwise it turns on and off. Turning on and off with the TV would be nice, but it's not a feature of the lights, and not something that we promise. If you have a universal remote, the harmony upgrade (an IR dimmer) would recreate this experience. We are 90% sure that we will replace the RF remote with an IR remote for future versions of our lights. Not only does it work with universal remotes, it makes it easy to bridge with a lot of smarthome hubs. The only issue is that it requires line of sight with the dimmer module, but we're trying to customise the receiver.

We'll have a few updates to announce at NAB next week. If you are there, stop by and see us at the Flanders Scientific booth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeJHooK View Post
@Scenic Labs

I feel dumb for asking this, but is there a way to set your bias light so that it turns on/off with the tv when plugged into the USB? I currently have it plugged into the usb port of my tv, but it only turns on and off with the physical switch and the remote.
PeeJHooK likes this.

Jason Rosenfeld
Scenic Labs, LLC
Publisher of Spears & Munsil Benchmark UHD HDR Benchmark.
Maker of The ISF-certified MediaLight 6500K Bias Lighting System
post #368 of 670 Old 04-02-2018, 11:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorge View Post
I purchased the white Luminoodle lighting last week and wow, it makes a world of difference on my Samsung KS8500. Blacks seem deeper an it definitely reduces eye strain. I just ordered another strip for my bedroom TV. I know there's a big push towards these Medialight lights on this thread and I can honestly say the Luminioodle works great for those wanting to save some money.
I need a Remote + USB Powered...Amazon has several versions...Which version did ya purchase? Regrets?
post #369 of 670 Old 04-02-2018, 11:51 AM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
I need a Remote + USB Powered...Amazon has several versions...Which version did ya purchase? Regrets?
No regrets, still working great. The lights are USB powered but you shouldn't need a remote because they power on/off with your TV...at least it works that way for me. I purchased these https://www.amazon.com/Power-Practic...U?ref=ast_p_ep
post #370 of 670 Old 04-02-2018, 11:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
No regrets, still working great. The lights are USB powered but you shouldn't need a remote because they power on/off with your TV...at least it works that way for me. I purchased these https://www.amazon.com/Power-Practic...U?ref=ast_p_ep
I guess one of my sets (Sony 900e) does not shut down the power to the USBs, so I'll need an easy way to control power.

Need Bias lights for 3 sets, don't wanna gamble on USB ON/OFF.

I'll check the link, Thank-U.
post #371 of 670 Old 04-02-2018, 12:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Lightbulb

Quote:
No regrets, still working great. The lights are USB powered but you shouldn't need a remote because they power on/off with your TV...at least it works that way for me. I purchased these https://www.amazon.com/Power-Practical-Luminoodle-Bias-Lighting/dp/B01LR3RAVU?ref=ast_p_ep
How are you adjusting the brightness to the video industry recommended level?
post #372 of 670 Old 04-02-2018, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeAB View Post
I'm using them as is.
post #373 of 670 Old 04-02-2018, 12:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Lightbulb

Quote:
I'm using them as is.
There are international motion imaging industry standards and best practices for video viewing environment conditions that include how to best implement bias lighting. Most video consumers just go by intuition or guess what's necessary for experiencing the best picture quality. I have been studying reference image quality for over two decades and recommend that you review this "sticky" thread from the display calibration section of the forum:

'D65 Video Bias Lighting- Fundamental Theory And Practice'
https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1162578

Best regards and beautiful pictures,
G. Alan Brown, President
CinemaQuest, Inc.
SMPTE, THX, ISF, Lion AV Consultants

"Advancing the art and science of electronic imaging"
Madmax67 likes this.
post #374 of 670 Old 04-02-2018, 12:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2254 Post(s)
Liked: 2553
Quote:
I used this test pattern.

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html
post #375 of 670 Old 04-02-2018, 12:20 PM

Quote:
There are international motion imaging industry standards and best practices for video viewing environment conditions that include how to best implement bias lighting. Most video consumers just go by intuition or guess what's necessary for experiencing the best picture quality. I have been studying reference image quality for over two decades and recommend that you review this "sticky" thread from the display calibration section of the forum:

'D65 Video Bias Lighting- Fundamental Theory And Practice'
https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1162578

Best regards and beautiful pictures,
G. Alan Brown, President
CinemaQuest, Inc.
SMPTE, THX, ISF, Lion AV Consultants

"Advancing the art and science of electronic imaging"
Thanks, but I'm fine. I'm not a videophile by any means so the lighting looks good enough for me, that's all I care about.
rlindo likes this.
post #376 of 670 Old 04-02-2018, 12:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Lightbulb

Quote:
Thanks, but I'm fine. I'm not a videophile by any means so the lighting looks good enough for me, that's all I care about.
Everyone's entitled to their own priorities in life. For those in this forum who value image fidelity as a high priority, there are proven ways to achieve that.
Madmax67 likes this.
post #377 of 670 Old 04-02-2018, 12:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Everyone's entitled to their own priorities in life. For those in this forum who value image fidelity as a high priority, there are proven ways to achieve that.
I still don't understand why folks with this, "I'm good with no science" attitudes are signed up for a science based AV forum but oh well. Least you tried.
sebos13 and Airsculpture like this.

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html
post #378 of 670 Old 04-02-2018, 12:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Do the USB powered LEDs with PWM Dimmers cause Flickering when dialed down?...Any other problems associated with the LED + PWM Dimmers I should be aware of?

Last edited by HuskerHarley; 04-02-2018 at 12:59 PM.
post #379 of 670 Old 04-02-2018, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmax67 View Post
I still don't understand why folks with this, "I'm good with no science" attitudes are signed up for a science based AV forum but oh well. Least you tried.
Oh, I apologize. I didn't realize I needed to fulfill some kind of requirement in order to sign up for these forums. I must have missed that part of the sign up process. I'll delete my account immediately.

Actually, you know what? I'll do something better, I'll just put you and your other little friend there on my ignore list. That should solve this issue. Later, cats.
rlindo and christoofar like this.

Last edited by bjorge; 04-02-2018 at 01:16 PM.
post #380 of 670 Old 04-02-2018, 01:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmax67 View Post
The priorities and character of this forum have gradually changed over the decades it has been in existence. Any endeavor of this kind must seek to remain commercially viable in order to endure. Broadening its member and visitor base helps in this regard, I'm sure. I don't have a problem with that and rarely venture out of the display calibration section of the forum for that reason. There's also far less drama encountered there. Agreement isn't always necessary in public discussion boards, but clarity helps reduce confusion.

Last edited by GeorgeAB; 04-02-2018 at 01:24 PM.
post #381 of 670 Old 04-02-2018, 01:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Oh, I apologize. I didn't realize I needed to fulfill some kind of requirement in order to sign up for these forums. I must have missed that part of the sign up process. I'll delete my account immediately.
I'm sure you're a big boy and you can do what you want with regards to your account. I actually hope you don't follow through on that though as there's lots to learn here from many industry experts in various home AV specialities and I learn something new everyday. No offence meant.

post #382 of 670 Old 04-02-2018, 01:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

OK...I hope my last Q's didn't get buried!...I'm ready to just put Lamps behind my sets-->
rlindo likes this.
post #383 of 670 Old 04-02-2018, 01:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The priorities and character of this forum have gradually changed over the decades it has been in existence. Any endeavor of this kind must seek to remain commercially viable in order to endure. Broadening its member and visitor base helps in this regard, I'm sure. I don't have a problem with that and rarely venture out of the display calibration section of the forum for that reason. There's also far less drama encountered there. Agreement isn't always necessary in public discussion boards, but clarity helps reduce confusion.
I understand and I follow your posts on those threads as well. The point I was making with that "least you tried" comment was regarding that clarity. There is a noticeable difference though between going with whatever white point shows up in the box and shooting for a more contrast effective solution. I painted my back walls with an RGB neutral IQL 18% gray paint as well. With regular color content the difference is actually very noticeable.

post #384 of 670 Old 04-02-2018, 01:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Lightbulb

Quote:
Do the USB powered LEDs with PWM Dimmers cause Flickering when dialed down?...Any other problems associated with the LED + PWM Dimmers I should be aware of?
Generally speaking, likely not. However, each product should be evaluated individually. One thing is for sure, our human inclination to assume all tech behaves similarly has been proven false many times over in the marketplace. Do you have a specific product in mind?
post #385 of 670 Old 04-02-2018, 01:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Generally speaking, likely not. However, each product should be evaluated individually. One thing is for sure, our human inclination to assume all tech behaves similarly has been proven false many times over in the marketplace. Do you have a specific product in mind?
I'm trying to narrow my choices down...I still have yer Ideal-Lume lights but my new equipment doesn't have switched 120v capabilities. So looking at USB LED.

Was wondering about the MediaLight & Luminoodle Remotes?

Research has always been a pain...I used to be a Sound&Vision member (Back N the day) before finding AVS & a few other sites...Never gets easier!!
post #386 of 670 Old 04-02-2018, 03:37 PM

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
OK...I hope my last Q's didn't get buried!...I'm ready to just put Lamps behind my sets-->
I have a lamp with a Philips Hue White Ambiance bulb behind my Vizio P55. The bulb's height in the lamp comes to almost the exact middle of the tv so it's pretty even lighting all around. Works great.
rlindo likes this.
post #387 of 670 Old 04-02-2018, 03:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Ordered: MediaLight 6500K Single 140 cm Strip.

Thanks for the help people...Very much appreciated-->
post #388 of 670 Old 04-03-2018, 02:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Does anyone have a pic of a stand or floor mounted Ideal Lume light? I see that you can put it on the stand (75" TV) and I'd like a sense of how it looks/illuminates. I really don't want to stick a rope light or bulb on the rear of my TV.

Attached is a photo of my setup. The shelf above will prevent top illumination I'd imagine. Any suggestions?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
post #389 of 670 Old 04-03-2018, 02:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnytheSkin View Post
Does anyone have a pic of a stand or floor mounted Ideal Lume light? I see that you can put it on the stand (75" TV) and I'd like a sense of how it looks/illuminates. I really don't want to stick a rope light or bulb on the rear of my TV.

Attached is a photo of my setup. The shelf above will prevent top illumination I'd imagine. Any suggestions?

I tried to copy and paste a photo here but it didn't work. Maybe the drag and drop file upload will work. The image was sent to us by a customer but I don't have the TV size. It's definitely smaller than yours.

You could simply set the light on the back half of the pedestal stand, place it on the floor, attacihing to something behind your shelf unit, or suspend it from the shelf above the TV.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AVSForumBiasLightPic.png
Views:	128
Size:	829.8 KB
ID:	2384486  
post #390 of 670 Old 04-03-2018, 11:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Ordered the standard LED. Used to have a desk lamp behind my TV years ago and liked the backlight. We'll see how it goes!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page