Bias Lighting? - Page 14 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 280Likes

post #391 of 643 Old 04-05-2018, 10:48 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Great information on this thread. Thank you.

I am getting my home theater ready and decided I need to get bias lighting.

One problem is that the way I have things designed the TV is going to be wall mounted and the center speaker will over lap the TV a little bit to avoid any wires from being seen. Unfortunately I did not run a tunnel in the wall. I also want to keep the TV low enough to be at eye level.

Is this going to be a big problem with bias lighting? The speaker is not as large as the TV so I should still have some light at the bottom.

Zoof

Theater || 82NU8000 | Pioneer SC-LX901 | Paradigm 85F - 55C - 15B - E80R | Syzygy SLF870
Rec || Pioneer KRP 500m | Pioneer SC-25 | PSB B25
Casual || LC-65LBU591C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 643 Old 04-05-2018, 11:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 332
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheZoof View Post
Great information on this thread. Thank you.

I am getting my home theater ready and decided I need to get bias lighting.

One problem is that the way I have things designed the TV is going to be wall mounted and the center speaker will over lap the TV a little bit to avoid any wires from being seen. Unfortunately I did not run a tunnel in the wall. I also want to keep the TV low enough to be at eye level.

Is this going to be a big problem with bias lighting? The speaker is not as large as the TV so I should still have some light at the bottom.
None of the particulars you mention prevent the reasonably successful implementation of bias lighting. I am not a proponent of mounting TVs on the wall if it is to be the primary theater display in the home. This mounting technique usually makes implementing correct bias lighting more difficult and/or diminishes the final effectiveness of imaging science recommended best practices. The popularity of trends and their practical validity are not mutually inclusive. Sadly, the implementation of such fundamental viewing quality recommendations as bias lighting, etc., frequently end up as a system design afterthought in the consumer space.

Best regards and beautiful pictures,
G. Alan Brown, President
CinemaQuest, Inc.
SMPTE, THX, ISF, Lion AV Consultants

"Advancing the art and science of electronic imaging"
Madmax67 likes this.
post #393 of 643 Old 04-05-2018, 11:33 AM

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeAB View Post
None of the particulars you mention prevent the reasonably successful implementation of bias lighting. I am not a proponent of mounting TVs on the wall if it is to be the primary theater display in the home. This mounting technique usually makes implementing correct bias lighting more difficult and/or diminishes the final effectiveness of imaging science recommended best practices. The popularity of trends and their practical validity are not mutually inclusive. Sadly, the implementation of such fundamental viewing quality recommendations as bias lighting, etc., frequently end up as a system design afterthought in the consumer space.

Best regards and beautiful pictures,
G. Alan Brown, President
CinemaQuest, Inc.
SMPTE, THX, ISF, Lion AV Consultants

"Advancing the art and science of electronic imaging"
Thanks for the feedback George.

Unfortunately wall mounting is the only option I have for this scenario due to the size of the TV and the layout of the room.

I look forward to playing around with options for what works for my scenario.

Zoof

Theater || 82NU8000 | Pioneer SC-LX901 | Paradigm 85F - 55C - 15B - E80R | Syzygy SLF870
Rec || Pioneer KRP 500m | Pioneer SC-25 | PSB B25
Casual || LC-65LBU591C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #394 of 643 Old 04-05-2018, 03:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheZoof View Post
Thanks for the feedback George.

Unfortunately wall mounting is the only option I have for this scenario due to the size of the TV and the layout of the room.

I look forward to playing around with options for what works for my scenario.
Most systems end up requiring a balance of compromises. The art of system design is anticipating what to include and what do without, with a minimum of consequences to performance.
post #395 of 643 Old 04-10-2018, 09:35 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Most systems end up requiring a balance of compromises. The art of system design is anticipating what to include and what do without, with a minimum of consequences to performance.
Hey George, got my IdealLume LED setup and after one night I'm already enjoying the change...it makes things pop and the blacks are cleaner. I do have a question regarding how to set the intensity/brightness of the backlight. I have it mounted on the bottom of the TV stand, and I get an even spread of light on both sides and above the TV. It is brighter on the bottom middle of the TV as there's a gap and it's closest to where the bulb is. When I use the DVE pattern for maximum ambient light, should I match the brightest spot to the pattern? The overall light level? Or just use personal preference as long as I don't exceed the pattern brightness level?

Thanks!
post #396 of 643 Old 04-10-2018, 12:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnytheSkin View Post
Hey George, got my IdealLume LED setup and after one night I'm already enjoying the change...it makes things pop and the blacks are cleaner. I do have a question regarding how to set the intensity/brightness of the backlight. I have it mounted on the bottom of the TV stand, and I get an even spread of light on both sides and above the TV. It is brighter on the bottom middle of the TV as there's a gap and it's closest to where the bulb is. When I use the DVE pattern for maximum ambient light, should I match the brightest spot to the pattern? The overall light level? Or just use personal preference as long as I don't exceed the pattern brightness level?

Thanks!
Try to minimize hot spots, then try adjusting the brightest region on the wall to match the window pattern. The latest SMPTE standards revision for a reference viewing environment specifies an ambient light level of 5 nits (candellas per square meter) with a tolerance of +/- 0.5 nits. That is lower than the previous 10% of peak white recommendation from about 30 years ago. To achieve 5 nits reflection off of the wall requires a spot luminance meter or a spectroradiometer to measure. A visual match to a test pattern won't work for that purpose.

There is most of an entire page in the published document dedicated to the reasoning and history that the standards committee used to justify the revised specification in SMPTE ST 2080-3:2017, "Reference Viewing Environment for Evaluation of HDTV Images." Essentially, a thumb nail summary could say the change is due to prevailing professional practice since the demize of NTSC SDTV and ATSC HDTV CRT professional monitors. Over time, colorists were prefering a reduced ambient light level when using new generations of professional video monitors for critical analysis of images.
Madmax67 likes this.
post #397 of 643 Old 04-19-2018, 06:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerHarley View Post
Ordered: MediaLight 6500K Single 140 cm Strip.

Thanks for the help people...Very much appreciated-->
Do you have noticed a flickering light if u set the strip to 10 or 20%?

Inviato dal mio SM-N950F utilizzando Tapatalk
post #398 of 643 Old 04-19-2018, 06:33 PM
Biased (but nice)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Send a message via Skype™ to Scenic Labs
You really shouldn't. It is possible out of the corner of your eye to sometimes see something almost as with a DLP projector. That's because the duty cycle is shortest at 10%. My left eye is super-sensitive to flicker due to a retina operation, and i'm fine at 10%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmix93 View Post

Jason Rosenfeld
Scenic Labs, LLC
Publisher of Spears & Munsil Benchmark UHD HDR Benchmark.
Maker of The ISF-certified MediaLight 6500K Bias Lighting System
post #399 of 643 Old 04-19-2018, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scenic Labs View Post
You really shouldn't. It is possible out of the corner of your eye to sometimes see something almost as with a DLP projector. That's because the duty cycle is shortest at 10%. My left eye is super-sensitive to flicker due to a retina operation, and i'm fine at 10%.
Mine quad system is powered directly from the DC power supply, and I connected the four strips all togheter with the 90° 2 pin connectors, if I set the system to 10 or 20% the flicker is pretty noticeable, the lower I go, the better I can see it, at 40% the flicker is gone.

What your systems are set to?
post #400 of 643 Old 04-19-2018, 07:17 PM
Biased (but nice)

I use an Eclipse on my Bravia. It's on a stand.

But sounds like you need a new dimmer. This isn't the norm and if you are recently noticing it, maybe it's starting to fail. contact me via our site www.biaslighting.com. the part is covered under warranty.
Madmax67 likes this.

Jason Rosenfeld
Scenic Labs, LLC
post #401 of 643 Old 04-20-2018, 07:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:

I keep mine on 100%. I did try 10% 20% 40% 60% 80% none of them are flickering.
post #402 of 643 Old 04-20-2018, 04:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking to buy a new 65" tv in a upstairs room with a knee wall that is approx 48" tall. Because of that, I have to pull the entertainment stand and tv out from the wall a bit (~2 feet). I can't get a good picture right now so I have a poor ascii representation below.

Bias lighting would hit off both the wall and a portion of the slanted ceiling (without having the tv and stand setup it's hard to say, but i imagine the wall would slope at around the top 1/3 of the tv). Any special considerations with this set up? I am hoping to go with a light strip setup. Since the stand is out a bit, the one side of the room would see a lamp.

Code:

// 
   //
//      |
|       |
|       |
|      _|_
|     |    |
|     |    |

Last edited by hinkbot; 04-20-2018 at 04:27 PM.
post #403 of 643 Old 04-20-2018, 07:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinkbot View Post
I am looking to buy a new 65" tv in a upstairs room with a knee wall that is approx 48" tall. Because of that, I have to pull the entertainment stand and tv out from the wall a bit (~2 feet). I can't get a good picture right now so I have a poor ascii representation below.

Bias lighting would hit off both the wall and a portion of the slanted ceiling (without having the tv and stand setup it's hard to say, but i imagine the wall would slope at around the top 1/3 of the tv). Any special considerations with this set up? I am hoping to go with a light strip setup. Since the stand is out a bit, the one side of the room would see a lamp.

Code:

// 
   //
//      |
|       |
|       |
|      _|_
|     |    |
|     |    |

I suggest considering a light on the floor at the back of your stand.
post #404 of 643 Old 04-21-2018, 03:40 AM

Quote:
100%? Oh boy

Yesterday the flicker was pretty visible even at 100%. I also tried to change the power supply with one with more amperage (2,1 vs 3,0) but the problem still there.

Honestly this is driving me in full OCD mode, if there will be no solution to this I'll be forced to remove the quad light.
post #405 of 643 Old 04-21-2018, 05:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
100%? Oh boy
Yep, 100%...The set with the single strip ML is located in a room that has a lot of light...In our Home Theater, I have a Bias Light dimmed to almost off, same for our bedroom!
post #406 of 643 Old 04-24-2018, 10:16 PM

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Do bias lighting work of the light are not at the back of the tv? I am asking this because my Q9fn is wall mounted using the no gap wall mount. I am trying to figure out how to make the bias lighting work on my current setup. TIA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #407 of 643 Old 04-25-2018, 07:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Lightbulb

Quote:
Yep, 100%...The set with the single strip ML is located in a room that has a lot of light...In our Home Theater, I have a Bias Light dimmed to almost off, same for our bedroom!
Bias lighting is recommended for viewing in an otherwise dark room. If there already is ambient illumination form other sources used in the room, bias lighting isn't necessary.
post #408 of 643 Old 04-25-2018, 07:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Garcia View Post
Do bias lighting work of the light are not at the back of the tv? I am asking this because my Q9fn is wall mounted using the no gap wall mount. I am trying to figure out how to make the bias lighting work on my current setup. TIA....
The point of locating bias lighting behind the TV is to prevent the illumination from bouncing off the screen. A no-gap wall mount should not be used if bias lighting is planned in the installation. The only other alternative for providing supplemental illumination around the TV would be having a wall that glowed.
post #409 of 643 Old 04-25-2018, 10:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Bias lighting is recommended for viewing in an otherwise dark room. If there already is ambient illumination form other sources used in the room, bias lighting isn't necessary.
I don't always have light spilling in...When I'm alone in the evening/night the light is a must for me.The room gets very dark until the Boss shows up!!!...That is why I purchased it-->
post #410 of 643 Old 04-25-2018, 12:59 PM

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
The point of locating bias lighting behind the TV is to prevent the illumination from bouncing off the screen. A no-gap wall mount should not be used if bias lighting is planned in the installation. The only other alternative for providing supplemental illumination around the TV would be having a wall that glowed.
Quote:
I suggest considering a light on the floor at the back of your stand.
About 2 months ago I had my Antec bias light break on me when I was moving my media room. On a whim I purchased this Vanksy bias strip. The Vansky is much brighter and it's causing lots of ambient light to reflect off the wall behind my TV, which is resulting in reflection on my TV I'd not had previously.

Outside of purchasing a new light strip (or an Ideal-Lume), would moving the Vansky to the floor, behind my open-glass TV stand, be a good solution? I hesitated before, because it's a veritable rat's nest with all the cables (organizing is something I'll do someday ).
post #411 of 643 Old 04-25-2018, 05:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2050 Post(s)
Liked: 2372
Quote:
100%? Oh boy

Yesterday the flicker was pretty visible even at 100%. I also tried to change the power supply with one with more amperage (2,1 vs 3,0) but the problem still there.

Honestly this is driving me in full OCD mode, if there will be no solution to this I'll be forced to remove the quad light.
Jason said to hit him up through the website to warranty the kit. Are you just dreading the removal and replacement aspect? I had an intermittent flashing issue with mine but I went to the included wall wart for power over the USB and that went away.

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html
post #412 of 643 Old 04-25-2018, 08:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Lushious View Post
About 2 months ago I had my Antec bias light break on me when I was moving my media room. On a whim I purchased this Vanksy bias strip. The Vansky is much brighter and it's causing lots of ambient light to reflect off the wall behind my TV, which is resulting in reflection on my TV I'd not had previously.

Outside of purchasing a new light strip (or an Ideal-Lume), would moving the Vansky to the floor, behind my open-glass TV stand, be a good solution? I hesitated before, because it's a veritable rat's nest with all the cables (organizing is something I'll do someday ).
The Vanksy product does not even claim to be the correct color of white for video use, plus they don't include a dimmer to adjust the brightness. If you prefer the flexible strip form factor, go with the MediaLight. If you want a rigid fixture, look at the Ideal-Lume LED. You could drape a piece of black fabric down the back of your equipment rack to hide any light coming through and/or highlighting the wires.
post #413 of 643 Old 04-25-2018, 08:51 PM

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 185
MEDIA LIGHT Bias lighting Quad kit. On 75" Sony 900e wall mounted. Using wall plug and remote since issues with USB not shutting down with TV.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
HuskerHarley and BIGJOHNB20 like this.
post #414 of 643 Old 04-30-2018, 09:28 AM

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Any active coupon codes for bias lighting.com?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #415 of 643 Old 04-30-2018, 08:22 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Just installed bias lighting on the 75z9d. Can't live without them now.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
post #416 of 643 Old 05-17-2018, 08:32 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I finished installing and calibrating the MediaLight Eclipse on my 60" pioneer plasma. I have had bias/accent lights in the past but this is the first one that was dimmable and it makes a huge difference! I will never use a bias light that cannot be adjusted to my room.

The dimmer is set at ~50%. There is also a 30% off coupon for first time customers. (I had to use google to find it)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180516_212111.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	594.7 KB
ID:	2403974  
post #417 of 643 Old 05-17-2018, 09:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKIII View Post
I finished installing and calibrating the MediaLight Eclipse on my 60" pioneer plasma. I have had bias/accent lights in the past but this is the first one that was dimmable and it makes a huge difference! I will never use a bias light that cannot be adjusted to my room.

The dimmer is set at ~50%. There is also a 30% off coupon for first time customers. (I had to use google to find it)
SMPTE has traditonally recommended that bias lighting be adjusted to the output of the display (10% or less of peak white), not to the room. The recently revised SMPTE standard specifies setting the illumination on the wall behind the display to 5 nits (candelas per square meter), to a tolerance of +/- 0.5 nits, which requires proper instruments to set.
post #418 of 643 Old 05-17-2018, 11:38 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
SMPTE has traditonally recommended that bias lighting be adjusted to the output of the display (10% or less of peak white), not to the room. The recently revised SMPTE standard specifies setting the illumination on the wall behind the display to 5 nits (candelas per square meter), to a tolerance of +/- 0.5 nits, which requires proper instruments to set.
By room I meant that the bias light can not only be adjusted to the output of the display, but also adjust the brightness to account for the distance the display is from the wall and the reflected luminance from the wall (if the walls are a darker or lighter). Sorry for the confusion.
post #419 of 643 Old 05-17-2018, 12:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKIII View Post
By room I meant that the bias light can not only be adjusted to the output of the display, but also adjust the brightness to account for the distance the display is from the wall and the reflected luminance from the wall (if the walls are a darker or lighter). Sorry for the confusion.
Thanks for the clarification. A reminder might also be in order for users to understand the only time the dimmer is needed is for the intitial setup. After that a simple on and off procedure is required to return to the initial brightness.
post #420 of 643 Old 05-27-2018, 08:08 AM
Biased (but nice)

Quote:
100%? Oh boy

Just catching this bit now. At 100% the duty cycle is 100% (same as no dimmer) so if something is flickering, it's probably not the dimmer. Please remove the dimmer and let me know if you still see a flicker. If so, the entire system should probably be swapped out under warranty.
jimmix93 likes this.

Jason Rosenfeld
Scenic Labs, LLC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page