Forum Jump: 
 288Likes

post #661 of 677 Old 09-14-2019, 08:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Any discount codes coming up for the MediaLight Quad 6500K Bias?

"You’re KILLIN’ ME Smalls! "

Sony 55EX500 Settings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #662 of 677 Old 09-14-2019, 08:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 28
They have Open Box Deals on their website that come with the standard 5-year warranty.
post #663 of 677 Old 09-19-2019, 03:48 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I have a decidedly UN-neutral wall behind my TV but I cannot change it b/c...she likes it. I just got the Vizio Quantum P75-F1 and it's great but I've always been intrigued by bias lighting. My questions are:

1. Will a bright blue-ish wall take away all positive effects of bias lighting (contrast improvement, eye strain)?

b) Do I need to strip around all 4 sides or one down the middle?

Both of these pics are daytime. The room can be very dark at night.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BiasOnBlue.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	1.28 MB
ID:	2617636   Click image for larger version

Name:	BiasOnBlue2.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	2617638  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #664 of 677 Old 09-19-2019, 09:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 343
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankdan View Post
I have a decidedly UN-neutral wall behind my TV but I cannot change it b/c...she likes it. I just got the Vizio Quantum P75-F1 and it's great but I've always been intrigued by bias lighting. My questions are:

1. Will a bright blue-ish wall take away all positive effects of bias lighting (contrast improvement, eye strain)?

b) Do I need to strip around all 4 sides or one down the middle?

Both of these pics are daytime. The room can be very dark at night.
Contrast enhancement and relief of eye strain and viewing fatigue will still be realized. They are independent of wall color. I would recommend getting an LED strip that will go all the way around the back of the TV.

I also suggest if you are going to have a vividly colored accent wall in the room that it NOT be the wall behind the TV! Women have more sensitive color vision than men because their retinas have more cones. This explains why women tend to pay closer attention to color issues. Having the vividly colored wall behind surrounding your TV will unavoidably distort your color perception of everything you and your wife watch on the screen! Here is a link that offers an explanation of this perceptual phenomenon along with demonstrations:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-d...l#post56820182

Best regards and beautiful pictures,
G. Alan Brown, President
CinemaQuest, Inc.
SMPTE, PVA, THX, ISF, Lion AV Consultants
www.cinemaquestinc.com

"Advancing the art and science of electronic imaging"

Last edited by GeorgeAB; 09-19-2019 at 09:16 PM.
post #665 of 677 Old 09-20-2019, 07:14 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeAB View Post
I also suggest if you are going to have a vividly colored accent wall in the room that it NOT be the wall behind the TV! Women have more sensitive color vision than men because their retinas have more cones. This explains why women tend to pay closer attention to color issues. Having the vividly colored wall behind surrounding your TV will unavoidably distort your color perception of everything you and your wife watch on the screen!

Thanks for the input! She reminds me about the whole cones thing often (in general life) but she loves that color on the wall, and it's also the only wall the tv can go on. I guess we'll have to struggle through it...while I watch on my brand new 75" 4k tv. When I was looking to buy, the 65" was on my radar but when I brought her to the store she immediately asked why I wasn't interested in the 75. That's when I knew she was the one.
post #666 of 677 Old 09-23-2019, 03:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I have a media room where I view movies only in near darkness on a display with very good contrast. I have a living room that is rarely bright and usually somewhat darkened where I watch sports, netflix, etc. on a display with less contrast. Both rooms have neutral colors. Where would a bias lighting strip be more effective?

Sony XBR-75X940D
Oppo BDP-103D
Denon X4200W
Custom UFW-15 (2)
Rocket RS850 (2), Rocket Bigfoot Center, Rocket RSS300 (2), Rocket RS250MKII (4)
post #667 of 677 Old 09-23-2019, 04:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by paligap View Post
I have a media room where I view movies only in near darkness on a display with very good contrast. I have a living room that is rarely bright and usually somewhat darkened where I watch sports, netflix, etc. on a display with less contrast. Both rooms have neutral colors. Where would a bias lighting strip be more effective?
Bias lighting is suitable for use in an otherwise dark room. Much would depend on what exactly "near darkness" and "somewhat darkened" mean. Can you be more detailed in describing the viewing conditions in the rooms you mentioned?
post #668 of 677 Old 09-23-2019, 04:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Bias lighting is suitable for use in an otherwise dark room. Much would depend on what exactly "near darkness" and "somewhat darkened" mean. Can you be more detailed in describing the viewing conditions in the rooms you mentioned?
Well, the media room is not a home theater, so it isn't light controlled and doesn't have black walls. However, I usually watch only 3D and 4K UHD blu rays there on weekend nights, with only starlight and the light from an adjacent room with the door barely cracked open. I guess I meant near total darkness.

The living room, on the other hand, is where I do most of my viewing during the day and on weeknights. I try to keep lights at a minimum, especially if they shine on the display. I have a 3-way light to the left and slightly behind the display that I usually have on its lowest setting.

The display in the media room has very good contrast, while the one in the living room has less good contrast.

Sony XBR-75X940D
Oppo BDP-103D
Denon X4200W
Custom UFW-15 (2)
Rocket RS850 (2), Rocket Bigfoot Center, Rocket RSS300 (2), Rocket RS250MKII (4)
post #669 of 677 Old 09-23-2019, 06:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by paligap View Post
Well, the media room is not a home theater, so it isn't light controlled and doesn't have black walls. However, I usually watch only 3D and 4K UHD blu rays there on weekend nights, with only starlight and the light from an adjacent room with the door barely cracked open. I guess I meant near total darkness.

The living room, on the other hand, is where I do most of my viewing during the day and on weeknights. I try to keep lights at a minimum, especially if they shine on the display. I have a 3-way light to the left and slightly behind the display that I usually have on its lowest setting.

Thanks for the added details. The display in the media room has very good contrast, while the one in the living room has less good contrast.
It sounds like the media room would be the place to implement bias lighting but not the living room.
post #670 of 677 Old 11-16-2019, 10:43 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Question: I have a MediaLight single strip I bought a while back and its been great, however I recently wall mounted my television and now would love to have it illuminate around the TV. Is there anyway to upgrade the single strip to quad or are there any other options? I have a PQ65 Vizio is that matters at all. Thanks all!
post #671 of 677 Old 12-01-2019, 02:46 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 776 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Allot of TV’s on this thread seem to be LED/LCD. What about OLED, does it also benefit from bias lighting?

I have a 65inch Sony AF9 OLED wallmounted.
My wall is painted light green.

Currently watch in dark room at night. Would I benefit?
post #672 of 677 Old 12-01-2019, 03:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundizer17 View Post
Allot of TV’s on this thread seem to be LED/LCD. What about OLED, does it also benefit from bias lighting?

I have a 65inch Sony AF9 OLED wallmounted.
My wall is painted light green.

Currently watch in dark room at night. Would I benefit?
Bias lighting is recommended for any direct-view video display use. The latest studies by the Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers (SMPTE) published a standards document for reference video viewing environment conditions for program mastering professionals. An increasing number of the top professional studios are using OLED monitors. These monitors are used in dark rooms with D65 (6500K) bias lighting as standard practice. Emulating professional practice in home video systems will help the consumer approach reference performance in picture quality and viewing comfort.

Another SMPTE standard practice is to provide a neutral gray surround (wall behind the display) within the user's field of view while watching the display. This technique helps preserve correct color perception of the image on the screen. Here's a forum link that demonstrates this phenomenon: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-d...l#post56820182

Best regards and beautiful pictures,
G. Alan Brown, President
CinemaQuest, Inc.
SMPTE, PVA, THX, ISF, Lion AV Consultants
Over 20 years of excellence in viewing environment education and solutions.

"Advancing the art and science of electronic imaging"
Soundizer17 likes this.

Last edited by GeorgeAB; 12-01-2019 at 03:21 PM.
post #673 of 677 Old 12-01-2019, 03:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by guacamoleparty View Post
Question: I have a MediaLight single strip I bought a while back and its been great, however I recently wall mounted my television and now would love to have it illuminate around the TV. Is there anyway to upgrade the single strip to quad or are there any other options? I have a PQ65 Vizio is that matters at all. Thanks all!
This guide can help you select a suitable upgrade.
post #674 of 677 Old 12-04-2019, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Lifx Strip lighting has been the best for us. We have a 75” on the wall and this allows us to change the color to any range and intensity and compensate for paint color on the wall to get to 6500k. Also have it set to come on at sunset and off at anytime. All through an app. Great product have used it for 2 years without a hiccup. Ordered an 82” and will be applying to that also. Great sales going on
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4D93D36B-511A-4341-9C94-FA5A5B10D11A_1575481658759.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	2649280  

yubakram
------------------------------
My DIY Screen Endeavor!
post #675 of 677 Old 12-11-2019, 03:29 PM
Biased (but nice)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Send a message via Skype™ to Scenic Labs
There are problems with compensating with paint color to which GeorgeAB and I can attest. Bias lighting is not just about the dim surround. It becomes the primary ambient light source (aside from the TV) in the room. White reflected off of a beige wall is still white. If you offset with a bluer light, the reflected light will be blue. Both the surround and the ambient light play a role in chromatic adaptation. Ambient light is a somewhat bigger issue when you are sat further from the display.

We will be releasing, on a limited basis, RGB+D65 light strips for use in architectural applications, but we specifically caution against using them to offset the wall color. There will also be a warning to turn off any colors at least 30 minutes prior to any color-critical viewing. We held off on releasing them last year so that they can include the Colorgrade Mark II chip, which is going into all MediaLight units as of March 2020. (We also held off on them because we're not sure that they serve a useful purpose, although you can turn all of the RGB chips off and have accurate ambient light). I'm not convinced that people who would use RGB lights care about accuracy.

[edited for clarification]

Quote:
Originally Posted by yubakram View Post
Lifx Strip lighting has been the best for us. We have a 75” on the wall and this allows us to change the color to any range and intensity and compensate for paint color on the wall to get to 6500k. Also have it set to come on at sunset and off at anytime. All through an app. Great product have used it for 2 years without a hiccup. Ordered an 82” and will be applying to that also. Great sales going on

Jason Rosenfeld
Scenic Labs, LLC
Publisher of Spears & Munsil Benchmark UHD HDR Benchmark.
Maker of The ISF-certified MediaLight 6500K Bias Lighting System

Last edited by Scenic Labs; 12-11-2019 at 05:27 PM.
post #676 of 677 Old 12-11-2019, 03:31 PM
Biased (but nice)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Send a message via Skype™ to Scenic Labs
We will provide a code that you can use to get a discount on the upgrade so you aren't paying full price twice. You can use it on the Ideal Lume site or our own.

Quote:
This guide can help you select a suitable upgrade.

Jason Rosenfeld
Scenic Labs, LLC
Publisher of Spears & Munsil Benchmark UHD HDR Benchmark.
Maker of The ISF-certified MediaLight 6500K Bias Lighting System
post #677 of 677 Old 01-14-2020, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Interested in getting a bias light for my wall mounted 75" Q6 Samsung. Thinking about the Luminoodle pro with remote that has a 6500k true white setting, (think it's more like 6000k). I could go with that or the medialight but the Luminoodle is much cheaper and supposedly easier to make right angle turns when applying the LEDs. Anyone know if it's possible to apply either of these without taking the tv off the wall?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page