**OFFICIAL** 2017 SONY XBR-X930E (Owner's Thread)(No Price Talk) - Page 110 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 15233Likes

post #3271 of 10841 Old 12-08-2017, 09:00 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEXTERITY77 View Post
lol, thanks...finally found someone that knows what they are talking about - you get the genie 2 (vertical) and two 4k mini’s - the mini replace the hr44 or hr54 (no longer available in my area - NJ) and the cs31 I have upstairs.

So three pieces of equipment - replace the two pieces - 400 something hours hd record time and 7 shows at once
Hmm, they told us a Genie2 + one 4K Mini, after they had asked how many 4K tv's we had. Saying that the none-4K tv's would keep using their existing HD Mini's. You must have three 4K tv's?

So the vertical Genie2 replaces our HR's, but where does it go, anywhere? Not necessarily next to a tv? Maybe sits next to our network routers? And doesn't have to be ethernet wired to a tv?

Btw, I forgot to mention yesterday that they only asked us for an additional (1) year commitment, w/equip. & install free. So you might ask them why (2 yrs) for you? Thanks very much for the info, and for asking them about system features/info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3272 of 10841 Old 12-08-2017, 09:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by aflorida View Post
Since I am a recent owner of the 65 inch SONY 930E ( 1week) I am about to install some MEDIALIGHT Bias Lighting and was just asking owners how they are "dealing" with the sometimes annoying letterbox issue on 4K HDR Blu Rays (and any letterbox for that matter) and the slight light bleed into the top letterbox (mostly top I find) when a bright object appears near the top of any scene as if someone took a flashlight to that area of the letterbox for a brief moment. It's not always there....black bars are mostly black for the majority of the time...but sometimes however brief it is it can be distracting.
Also--
the blooming/haloing of white credits against black backgrounds.
Don't get me wrong. If you read my many posts this week I find my 930E to be quite amazing. Never have I seen such images on any TV I have ever owned. Bright..crystal clear...colors pop...real depth...no motion to speak of...upscaling is in a class by itself...I am a real proud owner.
Just curious how others are dealing with it's shortcomings.
I was considering an exchange for the 65 inch Z9D but it would be "double" of what I paid for my 930E ( I got the 930E Black Friday and my friend the mgr. at my local PC Richards even deducted some addl bucks off the Black Friday sales price so I really got my 930E at an incredible price !!!). So even tho I would like the 65 inch Z9D which I hear has none of the 930E shortcomings I just spoke about I cannot justify more than "double" the price I paid for my 930E. And OLED's in my opinion are not ready for prime time yet.
So I am a keeper and dealing with its shortcomings and today installing some MEDIALIGHT bias lighting.
I would like any opinions from you guys on your 930E observations.
Thanks in advance.

Dude, there are 300+ pages of opinions and observations on the 930e....my opinion on the 930e is its and incredible tv and an absolute joy to watch on a daily basis. I am not one to let a little blooming bother me though, I honestly don't even really notice any.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tmdorsey and kbmb like this.
post #3273 of 10841 Old 12-08-2017, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynos13 View Post
Received this TV today and like other's have posted, I'm not impressed with the quality of my Directv. I've been tinkering with the settings but my old Samsung LED looked better. Maybe going from a 55 to a 65 is causing it to look worse because I'm not used to it. I'm getting ready to watch some 4K blu rays now so we'll see how that goes
Hmm. Except during a few thunderstorms, we've never received a sub-par or poor quality DirecTV signal; so far, we haven't received anything but an excellent and amazing DTV signal.

Quote:
Join the club

Quote:
That’s true - anything non direct TV looks great. And now apple tv has amazon prime so thats one more non direct tv source for me.
Hmm. All picture quality sources look the same for us. DirecTV looks just as good, (well, as good as you can hope for a compressed tv signal).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck Sonido View Post
Not sure what you all mean by directTV...cable? OTA looks stunning on the 930E. Actually everything looks great. My sources are ATV 4K (iTunes, YT, Netflix), Sony X800 (streaming and Bluray) and of course Android TV apps on the set itself.

I am finding the 930E extremely bright and looking for settings to tone it down a bit, so far just using the default "Standard" settings.
Be sure to record all of your 'Standard' OOB (out-of-box) default settings... before you change any of them! So if you don't like your settings changes---without having to hit 'Reset' and pray/hope that they all go back to the correct standard/oob defaults---you can change them back to the OOB settings/defaults you know you liked, etc. Just sayin ....

Last edited by WinMod21; 12-08-2017 at 09:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3274 of 10841 Old 12-08-2017, 09:30 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6854 Post(s)
Liked: 6858
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbasch925 View Post
Dude, there are 300+ pages of opinions and observations on the 930e....my opinion on the 930e is its and incredible tv and an absolute joy to watch on a daily basis. I am not one to let a little blooming bother me though, I honestly don't even really notice any.
Yep, I agree. There are glitches with every TV made, pic your demon and then roll with her
vtalon, aflorida and WinMod21 like this.
post #3275 of 10841 Old 12-08-2017, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FastImpala View Post
Well I bit the bullet and bought the 65" X930E along with the Sony X800 Blu Ray and Sony HT-ST9 Soundbar. I'm coming from an older Samsung that is about 5-6 years old and am sure this is a big step forward in quality and overall picture.

I do have a few questions though that maybe you guys can help me with.
I plan on mounting the TV and the soundbar on the wall which will look awesome when done. I planned on running HDMI cables from the Directv box (HR54-500) and the X800 direct to the TV. I was then going to run the ARC setup from the soundbar to the TV. Would it be beneficial to run a separate HDMI from the X800 directly to the soundbar for the audio only?

If this is not recommended then I was going to just run an optical cable from the TV to the soundbar and call it a day. I know I will lose some audio quality but I am sure I would not notice.

I will be controlling all of these devices using the Harmony 950.
Thanks in advance!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FastImpala View Post
Installing tomorrow. Any recommendations?
As far as I know, I'm not sure. But you should have a Sony 'Quick Start Guide' that you can download via .pdf like this.

Surely several others who do know and can make 'recommendations' will be along.
post #3276 of 10841 Old 12-08-2017, 09:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Yep, I agree. There are glitches with every TV made, pic your demon and then roll with her
Thanks for your encouragement.
I know it's just not my TV...and I don't believe my TV suffers anymore than others therefore possibly needing a replacement because many owners have said the same about the 930E shortcomings and use bias lighting to relieve most if not all of the 930E shortcomings (not to mention Vincent Teoh's honest and informative review both on YOU TUBE and in print from HDTV Reviews and reviews from other reputable reviewers/sources such as this forum).
It's just that the brightness level ( tho its beautiful) and being edge lit and the implementation of the edge lit being on top and bottom as opposed to the sides can create it's own problems.
I guess the reason for my post today is just to be sure I am not expierencing more of this on my 930E than others because my TV may be defective while I am still in any return window. I guess I am not expierencing any more of these shortcomings than others and my TV is fine but I just need to make sure. By the way I seem to have a perfect panel(no dead pixels ..no extra cloudiness than what I believe to be normal....no lines down the middle of the screen that you need a microfiber cloth to remove as others have reported on this forum recently)...and according to the label on the back of my 930E it was just manufauctured NOVEMBER 2017--only a few weeks ago--so that maybe a good sign to start off with.
Thanks again to all!
post #3277 of 10841 Old 12-08-2017, 10:04 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtSOL View Post
Ok that is great to hear, just to double check have you actually played this back yourself and seen it work well? Sorry for second guessing you its just the other information I have found re this usage suggests it doesn't play back so nicely.
I do it all the time!

Sony XBR-65X930E | NVIDIA SHIELD TV | Apple TV 4K | Samsung BD-P1600
Yamaha TSR-7810 | Energy C-100 / Energy C-C100 / Energy S10.3 / Polk RC60i
Logitech Harmony 950 / Smart Control w/ Harmony Hub
post #3278 of 10841 Old 12-08-2017, 10:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Not sure what you all mean by directTV...cable? OTA looks stunning on the 930E. Actually everything looks great. My sources are ATV 4K (iTunes, YT, Netflix), Sony X800 (streaming and Bluray) and of course Android TV apps on the set itself.

I am finding the 930E extremely bright and looking for settings to tone it down a bit, so far just using the default "Standard" settings.
Get off of Standard and try Cinema Pro and Cinema Home. It might look dull at first since you're used to Standard, but you'll get used to it and will probably end up liking it better since it's a more accurate picture. Good luck!

Edit - here's a repost of the settings I'm using:

Picture Mode: Cinema Pro
Auto Picture Mode: Off
Brightness: 19
Color: 55
Light Sensor: Off

Contrast: 90
Gamma: -2
Black Level: 50
Black Adjust: Off
Adv. Contrast Enhancer: Off
Auto Local Dimming: Medium
X-tended Dynamic Range: Off

Hue: 0
Color Temperature: Expert 1
Adv. Color Temperature: Default
Live Color: Off

Sharpness: 50
Reality Creation: Off
Resolution: 20 (Gray)
Mastered in 4K: On (Gray)
Random Noise Reduction: Off
Digital Noise Reduction: Off
Smooth Gradation: Medium

Motionflow: True Cinema
CineMotion: Low

HDR Mode: Auto
HDMI Video Range: Auto
Color Space: Auto

For HDR content, I let the TV go into its auto settings which raises the Brightness and X-tended Dynamic Range but leaves most everything else alone. You can adjust your SDR brightness to taste based on how bright your room is.
WinMod21 likes this.

Last edited by atbear; 12-08-2017 at 10:13 AM.
post #3279 of 10841 Old 12-08-2017, 10:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aflorida View Post
Since I am a recent owner of the 65 inch SONY 930E ( 1week) I am about to install some MEDIALIGHT Bias Lighting and was just asking owners how they are "dealing" with the sometimes annoying letterbox issue on 4K HDR Blu Rays (and any letterbox for that matter) and the slight light bleed into the top letterbox (mostly top I find) when a bright object appears near the top of any scene as if someone took a flashlight to that area of the letterbox for a brief moment. It's not always there....black bars are mostly black for the majority of the time...but sometimes however brief it is it can be distracting.
Also--
the blooming/haloing of white credits against black backgrounds.
Don't get me wrong. If you read my many posts this week I find my 930E to be quite amazing. Never have I seen such images on any TV I have ever owned. Bright..crystal clear...colors pop...real depth...no motion to speak of...upscaling is in a class by itself...I am a real proud owner.
Just curious how others are dealing with it's shortcomings.
I was considering an exchange for the 65 inch Z9D but it would be "double" of what I paid for my 930E ( I got the 930E Black Friday and my friend the mgr. at my local PC Richards even deducted some addl bucks off the Black Friday sales price so I really got my 930E at an incredible price !!!). So even tho I would like the 65 inch Z9D which I hear has none of the 930E shortcomings I just spoke about I cannot justify more than "double" the price I paid for my 930E. And OLED's in my opinion are not ready for prime time yet.
So I am a keeper and dealing with its shortcomings and today installing some MEDIALIGHT bias lighting.
I would like any opinions from you guys on your 930E observations.
Thanks in advance.
You answered your own question... the bias light.

Also, there's no way I'd get a ZD9 over the X930E. Rtings even rated the X930E higher than the ZD9. I don't know if that's accurate or not, but there's no way I'd pay that much extra.
aflorida and WinMod21 like this.

post #3280 of 10841 Old 12-08-2017, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atbear View Post
Get off of Standard and try Cinema Pro and Cinema Home. It might look dull at first since you're used to Standard, but you'll get used to it and will probably end up liking it better since it's a more accurate picture. Good luck!
Hiya atbear, so this I guess I don't really get, yet. If we like our 'Standard Mode' settings---or with the several tweaks we've made to the std-mode-settings---why might it be better to change to Cinema Pro and/or Cinema Home... even if those modes 'might look dull at first' but we'd have to 'get used to it' and would 'probably end up liking it'? Is it primarily because those modes are so much 'more accurate' for movie watching & streaming etc? Thanks.
post #3281 of 10841 Old 12-08-2017, 10:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinMod21 View Post
Hiya atbear, so this I guess I don't really get, yet. If we like our 'Standard Mode' settings---or with the several tweaks we've made to the std-mode-settings---why might it be better to change to Cinema Pro and/or Cinema Home... even if those modes 'might look dull at first' but we'd have to 'get used to it' and would 'probably end up liking it'? Is it primarily because those modes are so much 'more accurate' for movie watching & streaming etc? Thanks.
Yes, it's due to accuracy and the fact that most people on these forums actually do like Cinema Pro (or Home) better than Standard, once their eyes adjust. It goes both ways... if you go from Standard to Cinema Pro, CP will at first look a little dull. If you go from CP to Standard, Standard will look blue and oversaturated. I was under the impression that you did NOT like Standard. If you do like Standard and don't want to try CP, then turn down your Brightness, turn off X-dynamic Range (or lower it), check your Live Color settings, etc. What exactly do you like and dislike about Standard?

P.S. Give Cinema Pro (or Home) a try for a full day and report back.
WinMod21 likes this.

post #3282 of 10841 Old 12-08-2017, 10:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked: 851
Quote:
There are typically two camps of people for TV settings and neither are right or wrong:

- those that try to make colors etc look as "correct" or natural as possible
- those that just make the TV look good to them

In the end.....make it look good to you and your family, even if technically it's not as accurate as other settings. For me, I tend to lean towards more accurate colors with then a little tweak to my liking.
aflorida and WinMod21 like this.
post #3283 of 10841 Old 12-08-2017, 11:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmb View Post
There are typically two camps of people for TV settings and neither are right or wrong:

In the end.....make it look good to you and your family, even if technically it's not as accurate as other settings. For me, I tend to lean towards more accurate colors with then a little tweak to my liking.
Me too.

post #3284 of 10841 Old 12-08-2017, 02:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked: 425
Quote:
Do you think going back down to the 55" will make a difference? I dunno if the larger size is just exaggerating the crappy signal or maybe it won't matter. The majority of what we watch is Directv, especially sports...not sure what to do
You hit the nail on the head. It's the larger screen size of the 65" at the same viewing distance you had with your 55" that's exaggerating the flaws with the compressed signal from Directv. Low bitrate 720p and 1080i (which all sports are broadcast in from the major networks) is going to look worse on a 65" tv as opposed to a 55" set. I've seen 4K sports broadcasts on this set and it's almost a night and day difference between those broadcasts and the regular sports programming we get.
post #3285 of 10841 Old 12-08-2017, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Yes, it's due to accuracy and the fact that most people on these forums actually do like Cinema Pro (or Home) better than Standard, once their eyes adjust. It goes both ways... if you go from Standard to Cinema Pro, CP will at first look a little dull. If you go from CP to Standard, Standard will look blue and oversaturated. I was under the impression that you did NOT like Standard. If you do like Standard and don't want to try CP, then turn down your Brightness, turn off X-dynamic Range (or lower it), check your Live Color settings, etc. What exactly do you like and dislike about Standard?

P.S. Give Cinema Pro (or Home) a try for a full day and report back.
Thanks atbear. That's interesting, maybe I will try those settings, as I just turned it on and the Cinema Home Mode actually seems a bit brighter and more vivid then our standard/tweaked settings*. Cinema Pro on the other hand, does seem duller/darker. Btw, it wasn't me who did not like std, you must be thinking of someone else. We've been really enjoying our tweaked Std mode

*Our standard/tweaked settings: Std Mode, Brightness 15, Color 60/50, Light Sens Off --[Adv Brightness]-- Brightness 15, Contrast 90, Gamma 0, Black Level 50, Adv Contrast High/Med, Auto Local Dimming Med, X-Dyna-range Med/Off --[Adv Color]-- Color 60/50, Hue 0, Color Temp Neutral, Adv Color Temp N/A, Live Color Med --[Adv Clarity]-- Sharpness 60, Reality Creation Auto, Resolution 65, Mastered in 4K Off, Random Noise Reduction Auto, Digital Noise Reduction Auto, Smooth Gradation Low --[Adv Motion]-- Motion Flow Std, Smoothness 3, Clearness Min, CineMotion High --[Adv Video Options]-- HDR Mode Auto, HDMI Video Range Auto, Color Space Auto.
So pretty close to OOB defaults, however we do experiment/play around a bit with the: Brightness, Color, Live Color, Adv Contrast, Auto Local Dimming, X-Dyna-range, Color Temp, Sharpness, Smooth Gradation, etc-etc. Thanks very much for info & reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmb View Post

Thanks kbmb. I guess we'd fall into both camps. We do "try to make colors etc look as "correct" or natural as possible", to us, and by doing so we're of course trying to "make the tv look good" to us. That said, we've been really enjoying our tweaked Std mode, with all watching agreeing that overall PQ---& colors etc---is amazing & fantastic etc. Our main tweaks being to brightness and contrast.

Perhaps when it comes to "accurate colors" . . . we may need to confess to being, somewhat, like how Bobby Jones thought/felt after watching Jack Nicklaus win the 1965 Masters, when he famously said: "Nicklaus played a game with which I am not familiar."
Nevertheless, after tweaking to our liking, we have been thoroughly enjoying the PQ---as it does look so good to us---which as you say, is what matters in the end. But now you & atbear have peaked my interest to experiment, so thanks very much for feedback and reply.

Last edited by WinMod21; 12-08-2017 at 07:27 PM.
post #3286 of 10841 Old 12-08-2017, 02:56 PM

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:

Edit - here's a repost of the settings I'm using:

Picture Mode: Cinema Pro
Auto Picture Mode: Off
Light Sensor: Off

Contrast: 90
Gamma: -2
Black Level: 50
Black Adjust: Off
Adv. Contrast Enhancer: Off
Auto Local Dimming: Medium
X-tended Dynamic Range: Off

Hue: 0
Color Temperature: Expert 1
Adv. Color Temperature: Default
Live Color: Off

Sharpness: 50
Reality Creation: Off
Resolution: 20 (Gray)
Mastered in 4K: On (Gray)
Random Noise Reduction: Off
Digital Noise Reduction: Off
Smooth Gradation: Medium

Motionflow: True Cinema
CineMotion: Low

HDR Mode: Auto
HDMI Video Range: Auto
Color Space: Auto

For HDR content, I let the TV go into its auto settings which raises the Brightness and X-tended Dynamic Range but leaves most everything else alone. You can adjust your SDR brightness to taste based on how bright your room is.
Thanks. I did try Cinema Home but ended up going back to Standard. I find the blacks are darker. But to be honest I just used the default settings when I tried Cinema Home. I'll give CP a try with your settings.

Seriously though, why are people always complaining about minor blooming?? Yeah, it's there for a few seconds then you get to enjoy the best LCD picture quality available on the market. No issues whatsoever and this reenforces that I made the right purchase decision. I absolutely love the 930E. Things are even better since the rest of my HT rig is Sony, except for my ATV 4K; AVR is STR-DN1080, Bluray UBP X800. Using ARC to AVR, everything else straight to receiver. It's so cool to turn on the ATV 4k using its remote and my TV and AVR are turned on with one click. :-)
post #3287 of 10841 Old 12-08-2017, 03:15 PM

@atbear @kbmb @Canuck Sonido

. . .think I'll need to make an Excel spreadsheet to keep up with all these different settings suggestions!
vtalon and Canuck Sonido like this.
post #3288 of 10841 Old 12-08-2017, 04:01 PM

Hey! ...whilst reading about another poster's Lasik surgery... it just occurred to me why (except for a few tweaks) the 930E 'Standard Mode' settings might look pretty good to me ?!?
I was told I needed a light prescription about five years ago, but to date still haven't gotten prescrip glasses as yet. Still using crappy grocery store 'readers', though not while watching tv. Nevertheless I wonder if typical Standard Mode & etc settings look okay---or good to me---due to diminished/aging eyesight ?!?
post #3289 of 10841 Old 12-08-2017, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Hey! ...whilst reading about another poster's Lasik surgery... it just occurred to me why (except for a few tweaks) the 930E 'Standard Mode' settings might look pretty good to me ?!?
I was told I needed a light prescription about five years ago, but to date still haven't gotten prescrip glasses as yet. Still using crappy grocery store 'readers', though not while watching tv. Nevertheless I wonder if typical Standard Mode & etc settings look okay---or good to me---due to diminished/aging eyesight ?!?
My eyesight is pretty good I don't wear glasses and Standard looks good to me. My issue is brightness. I sit 10' away and feel like I'm getting a sun tan from the 930E.
WinMod21 likes this.
post #3290 of 10841 Old 12-08-2017, 04:15 PM

Quote:
My eyesight is pretty good I don't wear glasses and Standard looks good to me. My issue is brightness. I sit 10' away and feel like I'm getting a sun tan from the 930E.
Need 50spf sunblocker lotion and sunglasses huh? Have you tried cranking down the brightness? In the evenings we were running at 10, which seemed a little dark at first, but then your eyeballs adjust to it pretty quick like. I think we leave it around 15 now, and don't adjust.
post #3291 of 10841 Old 12-08-2017, 04:18 PM

Quote:
I do it all the time!
Do what?
post #3292 of 10841 Old 12-08-2017, 06:27 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Do you think going back down to the 55" will make a difference? I dunno if the larger size is just exaggerating the crappy signal or maybe it won't matter. The majority of what we watch is Directv, especially sports...not sure what to do
I thought moving from a 55” to 65” may have something to do with my experience as well. However, if I find something that looks off while watching DTV, I run upstairs and compare it to my non 4ktv (4 yrs old) and it looks worst there.

So, I think as someone else said, the TV is so good you just see the content flaws more than on a older TV. I know sounds off and shouldn’t be that way. My biggest issues is sports and some shows look washed out.

I wouldn’t go back down especially if you need a bigger tv based on distance to TV calculations.

Quote:
Hmm, they told us a Genie2 + one 4K Mini, after they had asked how many 4K tv's we had. Saying that the none-4K tv's would keep using their existing HD Mini's. You must have three 4K tv's?

So the vertical Genie2 replaces our HR's, but where does it go, anywhere? Not necessarily next to a tv? Maybe sits next to our network routers? And doesn't have to be ethernet wired to a tv?

I’m not exactly sure where the vertical goes. I think it goes near one of the minis. It is purely wireless. I only have one 4k tv but they are giving me to mini 4k’s (one for each tv). Wish, I knew about the one year lol, but doesn’t matter I despise my other options (cablevision and dish).

You’re welcome, assuming they come out in the snow, I will let you know how it goes and what I learn.

Btw, I forgot to mention yesterday that they only asked us for an additional (1) year commitment, w/equip. & install free. So you might ask them why (2 yrs) for you? Thanks very much for the info, and for asking them about system features/info.
post #3293 of 10841 Old 12-08-2017, 06:28 PM

Quote:
I thought moving from a 55” to 65” may have something to do with my experience as well. However, if I find something that looks off while watching DTV, I run upstairs and compare it to my non 4ktv (4 yrs old) and it looks worst there.

So, I think as someone else said, the TV is so good you just see the content flaws more than on a older TV. I know sounds off and shouldn’t be that way. My biggest issues is sports and some shows look washed out.

I wouldn’t go back down especially if you need a bigger tv based on distance to TV calculations.

Quote:

I’m not exactly sure where the vertical goes. I think it goes near one of the minis. It is purely wireless. I only have one 4k tv but they are giving me to mini 4k’s (one for each tv). Wish, I knew about the one year lol, but doesn’t matter I despise my other options (cablevision and dish).

You’re welcome, assuming they come out in the snow, I will let you know how it goes and what I learn. Thanks as well for the info.
post #3294 of 10841 Old 12-08-2017, 08:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Oh, okay! I was just typing my above post.

Are you getting the 4K Genie2 & install for free? If not, perhaps you might want to renegotiate with them; (see my last abv).
And did they tell you if it's completely wireless to the tv (client) and 4K Mini (clients)? And do we keep our HRxx servers? Etc...etc?

Receiving the 4K Genie2 + install for free only seems fair, as last I read it's still in beta testing.
I don't recommend anyone get the 4k Genie 2 at this time. Just one channel and another with occasional sports I had major problems yesterday with constant buffering and still some studdering today. I didn't research it. DTV offered it for free but I think it's still buggy. If I continue to have problems I'm going to ask for my old equipment back. They also botched the install by giving me 2 non 4k minis and it was a major issue getting them back out to my house. They claimed I never asked for 4k equipment. Then why install the hs17 in the first place? At&t is awful with customer service.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
DEXTERITY77 and WinMod21 like this.
post #3295 of 10841 Old 12-09-2017, 08:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 332
I also started with Standard and switched to Cinema Pro. Particularly in SDR content, Standard seemed far too bright and oversaturated with a cool color temperature. Cinema Pro provides a more accurate picture that appears closer to the picture of my still excellent 55" plasma.
WinMod21 likes this.
post #3296 of 10841 Old 12-09-2017, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD23 View Post
I also started with Standard and switched to Cinema Pro. Particularly in SDR content, Standard seemed far too bright and oversaturated with a cool color temperature. Cinema Pro provides a more accurate picture that appears closer to the picture of my still excellent 55" plasma.
Are you just using the default settings with CP?
post #3297 of 10841 Old 12-09-2017, 08:23 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 102
I’m having an issue. I set up a USB thumb drive as extended storage, but any time I turn the TV off, the TV ejects the USB drive. Unplugging an replugging it doesn’t fix this, I have to unplug the USB stick, have the TV forget it and plug it in and set it up again. That kind of defeats the purpose of allowing extended storage. Anyone else use this and have this problem?
post #3298 of 10841 Old 12-09-2017, 09:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 332
Quote:
Are you just using the default settings with CP?
I'm using the default except for brightness. I turned down brightness to 25 for SDR and 30 for HDR, though both will be dependent upon the ambient light in your room.
post #3299 of 10841 Old 12-09-2017, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanP View Post
I don't recommend anyone get the 4k Genie 2 at this time. Just one channel and another with occasional sports I had major problems yesterday with constant buffering and still some studdering today. I didn't research it. DTV offered it for free but I think it's still buggy. If I continue to have problems I'm going to ask for my old equipment back. They also botched the install by giving me 2 non 4k minis and it was a major issue getting them back out to my house. They claimed I never asked for 4k equipment. Then why install the hs17 in the first place? At&t is awful with customer service.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Thanks, I ended up cancelling as I read others state the same issues. However, after cancelling a few people in the hdtv direct tv thread say a software update fixed their issues.

I’m just going to wait as there are only three 4k channels, so whats the benefit when it comes to the other channels. It would probably look the same as my hr44 (I assume). Sounds like more of a potential headache than anything. Plus, the standalone unit looks obtrusive.
DanP and WinMod21 like this.
post #3300 of 10841 Old 12-09-2017, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanP View Post
Thank you so much, DanP ! I had install on hold due to lack of info from AT&T/DTV, but now will definitely cancel, or if possible put on a perpetual hold so as not to loose free offer etc. DEX and I were about to allow installs. So phew! Really really appreciate your heads up!

Quote:
Thanks, I ended up cancelling as I read others state the same issues. However, after cancelling a few people in the hdtv direct tv thread say a software update fixed their issues.

I’m just going to wait as there are only three 4k channels, so whats the benefit when it comes to the other channels. It would probably look the same as my hr44 (I assume). Sounds like more of a potential headache than anything. Plus, the standalone unit looks obtrusive.
Ditto
DanP likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
jimmyhigh; solzun; zachfeen; johnerz

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page