**OFFICIAL** 2017 SONY XBR-X930E (Owner's Thread)(No Price Talk) - Page 127 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 15273Likes

post #3781 of 11070 Old 01-02-2018, 09:24 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale124 View Post
So, I installed my "Luminoodle" bias lighting that I received for Christmas yesterday, and I must say, it looks very cool! I had never heard of bias lighting until I got onto this forum, so, thank you, fellow forum members.

Now, if only Sony could rectify the lights randomly coming on when the tv is off. I read earlier on this forum that someone suggested there will be a firmware fix for this issue coming out. Here's to hoping that is correct.

Dale

Which version of the luminoodle lighting did you get? If you got the color switch version, contact luminoodle support as there is a newer model that came out recently that doesn’t blink when power is applied. They sent me this for free, though I haven’t bothered to install it since I just plugged the one I had into a USB power adapter and didn’t feel like ripping the old lighting off and putting the new one on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3782 of 11070 Old 01-02-2018, 09:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morac View Post
Which version of the luminoodle lighting did you get? If you got the color switch version, contact luminoodle support as there is a newer model that came out recently that doesn’t blink when power is applied. They sent me this for free, though I haven’t bothered to install it since I just plugged the one I had into a USB power adapter and didn’t feel like ripping the old lighting off and putting the new one on.
Thanks for the suggestion, but I only have the basic white version. I looked on Amazon to see if there was an inline switch to install, which there was, but currently not available on the Canadian Amazon site. I might just contact luminoodle anyway to see what else they suggest.
post #3783 of 11070 Old 01-02-2018, 09:45 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morac View Post
How do you control the power on and off for the usb power adapter?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3784 of 11070 Old 01-02-2018, 10:03 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drelldrell View Post
I have an Amazon echo and Google Home speaker plugged into a tplink smart plug for my bias lighting. I turn it off and on by voice. It's so convenient.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
post #3785 of 11070 Old 01-02-2018, 10:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Very close to pulling the trigger on the XBR-55X930E. I've got Directv and understand this TV is Directv 4K Ready. I understand this to mean I wouldn't need a separate D* 4K box as my HR54 Genie would output 4K directly to the TV. Can any other D* 4K customers with a 55 or 65X930E confirm my assumption of no separate D* 4K box being needed?

Also, how is the D* 4K on these sets both in terms of PQ and user interface? Is watching 4K content a seamless experience and no different than watching an HD channel?

Mark

"We named the dog Indiana."
Directv since '03
post #3786 of 11070 Old 01-02-2018, 10:14 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD23 View Post
You presented a plausible technical reason for keeping Enhanced Mode disabled by default, but I still think Sony has not communicated this clearly. Where do you see Enhanced Mode described in the x930e manual? I see an asterisk on page 21 of the reference guide indicating that only HDMI 2 and 3 support 4096x2160p @ 60Hz, but there is no mention of Enhanced Mode in the document. Realistically, I doubt that more than 5% of consumers will even read and comprehend the technical information presented in these tables. The number of times the same question regarding [email protected] has been posed in this thread supports my assertion.
Search the built in "Help Guide" for "Settings for viewing pictures in 4K resolution with higher quality". The same "Help Guide" document is also available for download here:

https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model...ls#/manualsTab

Leon McKee

LR: XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB 5th Gen | UBP-X700 | URC MX-890 | SoundTouch 300 | Luminoodle Bias Lighting
MBR: KDL-65W850A | ATV4K-64GB 5th Gen | URC MX-890 | Luminoodle Bias Lighting
4K HDR/DV Chains: ATV4K/UBP-X700>3ft Monoprice Certified Premium Cables>65X930E
Computing, Truck & Communication Devices: Proud Apple Customer Since 1979
post #3787 of 11070 Old 01-02-2018, 10:15 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
You presented a plausible technical reason for keeping Enhanced Mode disabled by default, but I still think Sony has not communicated this clearly. Where do you see Enhanced Mode described in the x930e manual? I see an asterisk on page 21 of the reference guide indicating that only HDMI 2 and 3 support 4096x2160p @ 60Hz, but there is no mention of Enhanced Mode in the document. Realistically, I doubt that more than 5% of consumers will even read and comprehend the technical information presented in these tables. The number of times the same question regarding [email protected] has been posed in this thread supports my assertion.
I was going by the Help Guide on their webpage for the 930E. It's on page 68 in the printable .pdf copy, but the online version has it here: http://helpguide.sony.net/tv/eusltn1...ml?hl=enhanced

I don't disagree at all that Sony makes this a very esoteric thing to identify and configure, like Nintendo I just assume Sony likes to maintain that old-style Japanese corporate mentality of minimal customer messaging and documentation. My only point about the Enhanced setting is that the other manufacturers (Samsung/LG) appear do it as well, although I'm not sure how effectively they communicate that to the end-user as I don't own their sets (I just know from review sites that you have to further enable additional HDMI settings, that are disabled by default, to support HDMI 2.0 full-bandwidth on those other models.)

As bad as this issue comes up, I'm even more impressed by the amount of people across forums I've seen (reddit, neogaf, PSN/Xbox Live) that still can't seem to comprehend purchasing correct HDMI high-speed cables (if I had a nickel for every person who swore they had correct cables until they found out they didn't.) With HDMI 2.1 coming out next year, which requires new cabling (48G), and maintaining backwards compatibility, it's probably just going to get worse. Do manufacturers now have to drop in settings for HDMI 1.4 clocks, 2.0 clocks, and 2.1 clocks now? Standard/Enhanced/48G? Don't expect Sony to get any better
post #3788 of 11070 Old 01-02-2018, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
I checked for the first time this past weekend. It was on. I just don't remember turning it on. Things like that happen when you get old. Like putting ice cream in the refrigerator. Or, it is possible in one of the recent firmware updates they set the default to 'on.' One of the first things I did upon delivery was update the firmware.
post #3789 of 11070 Old 01-02-2018, 12:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1076 Post(s)
Liked: 849
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonmckee View Post
Search the built in "Help Guide" for "Settings for viewing pictures in 4K resolution with higher quality". The same "Help Guide" document is also available for download here:

https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model...ls#/manualsTab

Leon McKee
Thanks, I see it now. I think it would have taken me a long time to find this if I hadn't already known that the setting is called "Enhanced Mode" and searched the document accordingly.
post #3790 of 11070 Old 01-02-2018, 12:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1037 Post(s)
Liked: 897
Quote:
Thanks, I see it now. I think it would have taken me a long time to find this if I hadn't already known that the setting is called "Enhanced Mode" and searched the document accordingly.
The amount of friends I've had to help with these settings are crazy Add in the AVR companies are just as bad. With my old Yamaha AVR, you didn't even have an on screen setting to switch modes. You had to do it though a combo of key presses and the display on the front. At least my Denon has a section to change it.
post #3791 of 11070 Old 01-02-2018, 12:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1076 Post(s)
Liked: 849
Quote:
Originally Posted by solzun View Post
With HDMI 2.1 coming out next year, which requires new cabling (48G), and maintaining backwards compatibility, it's probably just going to get worse. Do manufacturers now have to drop in settings for HDMI 1.4 clocks, 2.0 clocks, and 2.1 clocks now? Standard/Enhanced/48G? Don't expect Sony to get any better
I agree that HDMI has become a mess and is only going to get worse. Don't even get me started on HDMI CEC. I think it would have been beneficial to create a new standard and completely decouple HDMI 2.1 from previous versions and eliminate backward compatibility. Such a decoupling would have also allowed design of a new connector that is optimized for extremely high bandwidth applications.
post #3792 of 11070 Old 01-02-2018, 03:01 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Menu Settings

Can someone direct me to some posts in this thread that have optimal picture settings? I have pretty much settled on Cinema Pro for any film based material, such as Blu-ray discs, but I am still going back forth between Cinema Pro and Standard for all other sources, such as HD from my Verizon FIOS receiver, and video streaming, much of which is 4K

Thanks
post #3793 of 11070 Old 01-02-2018, 03:20 PM

Anyone who has an Apple TV 4K what motion settings are you using to eliminate judder and motion artifacts. No matter what I set it to I get either or both.

post #3794 of 11070 Old 01-02-2018, 03:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 488 Post(s)
Liked: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana627 View Post
Very close to pulling the trigger on the XBR-55X930E. I've got Directv and understand this TV is Directv 4K Ready. I understand this to mean I wouldn't need a separate D* 4K box as my HR54 Genie would output 4K directly to the TV. Can any other D* 4K customers with a 55 or 65X930E confirm my assumption of no separate D* 4K box being needed?

Also, how is the D* 4K on these sets both in terms of PQ and user interface? Is watching 4K content a seamless experience and no different than watching an HD channel?

Yes, you can use the RVU app that comes with the tv and not need the separate D* box to view the 4K channels. Be aware that there are some RVU users out there that are having difficulty viewing the HDR content using the RVU app. I'm not sure if this applies to the 930E as I use the separate box for viewing 4K content. Also know that D* will still charge the 7.99 monthly fee when you activate the RVU app.

For the most part D* 4K content looks good and has gotten even better with the addition HDR. The live sports in 4K w/HDR are awesome! Yes, when everything is working like it should, it's just a matter of tuning to the 4K channel like you would a regular HD channel.
Indiana627 likes this.
post #3795 of 11070 Old 01-02-2018, 03:36 PM

Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drelldrell View Post
I bought the Hue light strip + extensions and installed it on the back of my 930E. I have Hue lights and the hub for controlling pretty well all the lights in my home. I can control my lights from any smart device such as iPhone, iPad, Mac/PC using apps or Siri or even using the TV itself. Icing on the cake now with latest tech addition being a Google Home Mini, I just say "OK Google, TV lights" and voila the bias lights are turned on:

post #3796 of 11070 Old 01-02-2018, 06:40 PM
DrA
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
I was going by the Help Guide on their webpage for the 930E. It's on page 68 in the printable .pdf copy, but the online version has it here: http://helpguide.sony.net/tv/eusltn1...ml?hl=enhanced

I don't disagree at all that Sony makes this a very esoteric thing to identify and configure, like Nintendo I just assume Sony likes to maintain that old-style Japanese corporate mentality of minimal customer messaging and documentation. My only point about the Enhanced setting is that the other manufacturers (Samsung/LG) appear do it as well, although I'm not sure how effectively they communicate that to the end-user as I don't own their sets (I just know from review sites that you have to further enable additional HDMI settings, that are disabled by default, to support HDMI 2.0 full-bandwidth on those other models.)

As bad as this issue comes up, I'm even more impressed by the amount of people across forums I've seen (reddit, neogaf, PSN/Xbox Live) that still can't seem to comprehend purchasing correct HDMI high-speed cables (if I had a nickel for every person who swore they had correct cables until they found out they didn't.) With HDMI 2.1 coming out next year, which requires new cabling (48G), and maintaining backwards compatibility, it's probably just going to get worse. Do manufacturers now have to drop in settings for HDMI 1.4 clocks, 2.0 clocks, and 2.1 clocks now? Standard/Enhanced/48G? Don't expect Sony to get any better
my appleTV 4K is connected to HDMI 3 with an expensive cable I bought from their store. It is very thin and I don't know what speed it supports but in TV menu it reads HDR in Action menu>Picture adjustments on right top.
My DirecTV Genie client reciever is connected to input 2 with old, thick cable and 4K channels 104, 105 and 106 make the HDR to turn on the same TV menu. Do I need a new HDMI cable? Is this a reliable test for determining cable speed?
Also how do you know if the original source is HDR in apple TV? If I buy a 4K player I will be limited to 30fps on inputs 1 &4?

Improvise, adapt to the environment, Darwin, **** happens, I Ching.
post #3797 of 11070 Old 01-02-2018, 08:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck Sonido View Post
I bought the Hue light strip + extensions and installed it on the back of my 930E. I have Hue lights and the hub for controlling pretty well all the lights in my home. I can control my lights from any smart device such as iPhone, iPad, Mac/PC using apps or Siri or even using the TV itself. Icing on the cake now with latest tech addition being a Google Home Mini, I just say "OK Google, TV lights" and voila the bias lights are turned on:
Hue is good stuff. I just have the bulbs and much prefer them over standard lighting. And you can set them to whatever color you want (provided you have the color bulbs). My room is bright and don't do much nighttime viewing on the Sony. But I'll keep my eye on those strips and maybe I'll be tempted by a sale price. I use IFTTT to auto turn my lights on weekday mornings as I get up when it's still dark. And tell Alexa to shut 'em down before bedtime.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
post #3798 of 11070 Old 01-03-2018, 03:18 AM

Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoWeb13 View Post
Anyone who has an Apple TV 4K what motion settings are you using to eliminate judder and motion artifacts. No matter what I set it to I get either or both.

I'm also interested in what settings people are using for this. I notice some judder when Apple TV's screen saver Aerial comes on. Otherwise no issues.

Last edited by Canuck Sonido; 01-03-2018 at 03:54 AM.
post #3799 of 11070 Old 01-03-2018, 07:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 1428 Post(s)
Liked: 1154
With DV behind door for our TV's I want to be 100% ready so I just purchased from Jason @Scenic Labs MediaLight Quad 6500K Bias Lighting System. Very nice guy to talk with I recommend to contact him first if someone thinking to get those. I know it will be excellent product can't wait to install it.

Denon X6200W
Klipsch RF-7II's, RC-64II, RB-81II's, RS-62II's
SVS 2x PC12-Pluses, Emotiva XPA-200
Sony XBR65X930E , Oppo 203
Apple 4K TV, Mac mini, Sony UBP-X800, PS3
post #3800 of 11070 Old 01-03-2018, 10:59 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7646 Post(s)
Liked: 7709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck Sonido View Post
Looks good and very slick
Canuck Sonido likes this.
post #3801 of 11070 Old 01-03-2018, 01:27 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejmrx View Post
Earlier today, I paired via Bluetooth B2 bone conducting headphones to my 65 Inch 930E. My wife was very pleased at how well they worked. However, whenever she connected with them to the TV, it cut out the speakers on the TV such that she is the only one that could hear the TV. My question is whether this is supposed to happen when pairing with a bluetooth device and if so, is there a workaround such that the TV will produce normal sound thru the speakers at the same time as providing sound thru Bluetooth. If not, is anyone aware of a bone conducting headphone that will allow this?
HOME > Settings > Sound > Audio to both TV speakers & other device
post #3802 of 11070 Old 01-03-2018, 01:40 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Now It's my time to ask you an advice for a Bias lighting LED strip, I would like to buy the Luminoodle one (118 inches/3 meters size), but it's enough to cover entirely the 4 sides of the TV (Sony 55" X930E)? I guess not.
Thank you guys
Canuck Sonido likes this.
post #3803 of 11070 Old 01-03-2018, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmix93 View Post
Now It's my time to ask you an advice for a Bias lighting LED strip, I would like to buy the Luminoodle one (118 inches/3 meters size), but it's enough to cover entirely the 4 sides of the TV (Sony 55" X930E)? I guess not.
Thank you guys
It almost covers the entire TV on my 930e but I'd estimate about a foot or foot and a half too short.

Last edited by MoWeb13; 01-03-2018 at 02:10 PM.
post #3804 of 11070 Old 01-03-2018, 02:07 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by 400MHz MAN View Post
HOME > Settings > Sound > Audio to both TV speakers & other device
Thank you! I am away for 3 weeks and will try it then. I am curious as to how it handles volume on the speakers, because it says, when the headphones are attached, speaker volume goes to 90+ !. We'll see what happens.
400MHz MAN likes this.
post #3805 of 11070 Old 01-03-2018, 05:31 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrA View Post
my appleTV 4K is connected to HDMI 3 with an expensive cable I bought from their store. It is very thin and I don't know what speed it supports but in TV menu it reads HDR in Action menu>Picture adjustments on right top.
My DirecTV Genie client reciever is connected to input 2 with old, thick cable and 4K channels 104, 105 and 106 make the HDR to turn on the same TV menu. Do I need a new HDMI cable? Is this a reliable test for determining cable speed?
Also how do you know if the original source is HDR in apple TV? If I buy a 4K player I will be limited to 30fps on inputs 1 &4?
I do not have an Apple TV (waiting to see if Roku/Nvidia will just push Dolby Vision to their devices or issue new hardware this year) so I can't confirm how the Apple TV issues HDR media in the UI. On my Roku, all the streaming apps I use (Amazon, Netflix, YouTube) all display 'UHD' or 'HDR' specifically to note if it has that available, and of course the 930E displays HDR in the picture adjustments menu (along with a darker gray color motif) once it detects HDR10 is being passed.

For the 930E, as far as the manual displays, HDMI 2 and HDMI 3 are the only two HDMI inputs that, when set to Enhanced, support the full 18Gbps bandwidth of HDMI 2.0.

Technically, you can pass 4K video at 60hz over non-enhanced bandwidth (10 Gbps), but only at 8-bit color. This isn't listed in Sony's section of the manual, so who knows whether it is actually supported or whether Sony just assumes you wouldn't do it: http://helpguide.sony.net/tv/eusltn1...3.html?hl=2160

Now, my Roku's display setup, it specifically lists the different modes that it can push ([email protected], [email protected], [email protected] HDR, [email protected] HDR, etc...), the PS4 Pro/X1X will display the same.

If your Apple TV specifically lists something similar (4K resolution, 60Hz, and HDR) that it is using for your TV, then you know your cable is good, since this mode uses almost the full HDMI 2.0 bandwidth (17.82Gbps.)

The PS4 Pro, when it's not playing an HDR game, will switch over to use the full HDMI bandwidth to push full chroma instead, so it will display 4K resolution, 60hz, and RGB (4:4:4) chroma subsampling, which also uses up the full bandwidth (17.82Gbps.) However, once you switch into a game that uses HDR, it drops from full RGB chroma subsampling to YUV422 (or YUV420 on some other TVs) to instead use the additional bandwidth for HDR support. Any of these modes will confirm your setup and your cable is correct.
post #3806 of 11070 Old 01-03-2018, 10:33 PM
DrA
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Quote:
I do not have an Apple TV (waiting to see if Roku/Nvidia will just push Dolby Vision to their devices or issue new hardware this year) so I can't confirm how the Apple TV issues HDR media in the UI. On my Roku, all the streaming apps I use (Amazon, Netflix, YouTube) all display 'UHD' or 'HDR' specifically to note if it has that available, and of course the 930E displays HDR in the picture adjustments menu (along with a darker gray color motif) once it detects HDR10 is being passed.

For the 930E, as far as the manual displays, HDMI 2 and HDMI 3 are the only two HDMI inputs that, when set to Enhanced, support the full 18Gbps bandwidth of HDMI 2.0.

Technically, you can pass 4K video at 60hz over non-enhanced bandwidth (10 Gbps), but only at 8-bit color. This isn't listed in Sony's section of the manual, so who knows whether it is actually supported or whether Sony just assumes you wouldn't do it: http://helpguide.sony.net/tv/eusltn1...3.html?hl=2160

Now, my Roku's display setup, it specifically lists the different modes that it can push ([email protected], [email protected], [email protected] HDR, [email protected] HDR, etc...), the PS4 Pro/X1X will display the same.

If your Apple TV specifically lists something similar (4K resolution, 60Hz, and HDR) that it is using for your TV, then you know your cable is good, since this mode uses almost the full HDMI 2.0 bandwidth (17.82Gbps.)

The PS4 Pro, when it's not playing an HDR game, will switch over to use the full HDMI bandwidth to push full chroma instead, so it will display 4K resolution, 60hz, and RGB (4:4:4) chroma subsampling, which also uses up the full bandwidth (17.82Gbps.) However, once you switch into a game that uses HDR, it drops from full RGB chroma subsampling to YUV422 (or YUV420 on some other TVs) to instead use the additional bandwidth for HDR support. Any of these modes will confirm your setup and your cable is correct.
I just discovered something that will remove any doubt about your HDMI cable speed and quality. It will save money by preventing you from buying unnecessary cable.

This is Great news for me and must be very useful for others.
Apple TV tests your HDMI cable specially for 4:2:2 chroma.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EFE07337-3E63-4E46-9552-76FCB499F573_1515047610558.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	2340056  

Improvise, adapt to the environment, Darwin, **** happens, I Ching.
post #3807 of 11070 Old 01-03-2018, 11:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I just replaced my Samsung TV by a Sony 55XE9305 and I am looking for a recommendation on the HDMI setup.

I have a Yamaha RXV677 audio receiver and previously I connected my digital set top box and my blu-ray player via HDMi to my receiver and then from my receiver to my TV HDMI ARC connection. Just before replacing my TV I bought a Nintendo Switch and I also connected it via the receiver.
When setting up the Sony, I kept the same connection setup connecting to HDMI 3 ARC Now as I understand it, you can only set picture settings per input. In my case this means I use the same settings for digital set top box, blu ray and Nintendo Switch.

Hence my question: what is the best way to connect these devices to my Sony TV, if I want the best picture quality for each source and use my receiver to get surround sound for Netflix, blu-ray and Nintendo Switch?
post #3808 of 11070 Old 01-04-2018, 12:18 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Does anybody know if there is a way to force the TV to output in stereo vice 5.1 ? I am attempting an experiment where I am using a SMSL AD18 amp with sub out to replace my soundbar for better sound but it is not able to decode 5.1 signals only stereo.

I looked through settings but did not see anything to switch to stereo output. I did find Auto 1 /Auto 2/ PCM audio modes. Is PCM 2.0? Otherwise I can use a seperate decoder but don't want to if I don't need to.

Last edited by Zachfeen; 01-04-2018 at 12:28 PM.
post #3809 of 11070 Old 01-04-2018, 12:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
I just discovered something that will remove any doubt about your HDMI cable speed and quality. It will save money by preventing you from buying unnecessary cable.

This is Great news for me and must be very useful for others.
Apple TV tests your HDMI cable specially for 4:2:2 chroma.

I don’t know about Apple TV, but I’ve found that if I have my Roku Premiere set to use 4:2:2 chroma, that it periodically freaks out and starts dropping audio or complains that my TV isn’t HDCP 2.2 compliant. I switched it to 4:2:0 and it’s been stable since at 4K 60 fps. It’s connected to the HDMI 2 port with a high speed cable with enhanced turned on.

From what I’ve read there’s no reason to use 4:2:2 on anything other than a gaming device because movies and TV are all encoded at 4:2:0.
N3O likes this.
post #3810 of 11070 Old 01-04-2018, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Subbed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
jimmyhigh; solzun; zachfeen; johnerz