**OFFICIAL** 2017 SONY XBR-X930E (Owner's Thread)(No Price Talk) - Page 176 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 15273Likes

post #5251 of 11070 Old 02-09-2018, 09:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyoid View Post
Apparently, I just lost the panel lottery after winning it at first. I've had my 65-inch 930E for a little over a month. I just noticed that there's a distinct vertical region running in a straight line corresponding to the location of the left support on the base. Unfortunately it's centrally located, but doesn't run entirely from top to bottom. This region is faint, but easily seen on relatively uniform backgrounds like the sky or solid colors. It's similar to the distinct line on the right side of the region shown in the photo in Post 3582, but not nearly as bad as that photo. If it weren't for the fact that the area is defined by a distinct straight line, it probably wouldn't be noticeable. I doubt that I'd be able to post a photo that clearly shows the defect.

I'm pretty sure I would have noticed this in the first few days of ownership since I checked the panel for uniformity, dead/stuck pixels, etc. I can only assume that it developed over time, and I hope it doesn't get worse. I've read other complaints about the same problem on Amazon, and they always seem to correspond to the areas that divide the screen roughly into thirds. It almost seems structural in nature, and may be related to the way the edge lit display transmits light from the top and bottom edges. Or it may be some other form of vertical banding.

I don't know what options I have. The TV is beyond the return period to the retailer. I've heard that Sony support is not all that helpful. I did purchase an extended warranty with Square Trade, but they'll probably require I pursue a remedy with Sony during the first year, so that seems to be my initial recourse.

Any ideas?

EDIT: No need to reply to this. I've decided I can live with it for now. It's subtle enough that most people probably wouldn't see it unless I pointed it out. I remember the days of the Sony Trinitron which had those two thin horizontal support wires that were visible on screen, and you just stopped noticing them.
Sorry in advance for replying to my own post, but I wanted to provide an update in context. I'd like to thank whoever it was that discovered that the cause of this display problem might simply be a physically dirty screen -- perhaps some leftover residue from protective film used in assembly or shipping. I gave my screen a good cleaning yesterday, and I can't see any sign of the straight vertical border that was located on the left third of the screen. I've seen others post about this, and simply cleaning the screen solves the problem. This was the only problem I've had with this TV, and I'm still in awe of how good the picture is.
leonmckee, aflorida and WinMod21 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5252 of 11070 Old 02-09-2018, 10:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
I gave my screen a good cleaning yesterday, and I can't see any sign of the straight vertical border that was located on the left third of the screen.
Nice!
post #5253 of 11070 Old 02-09-2018, 01:19 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 69
https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarc.../#4e3e12cb4741

I wouldn't be surprised if OPPO is just like, "screw it, we aren't going to release an update for these Sony TV's. Who knows if Europe will even get the update?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5254 of 11070 Old 02-09-2018, 02:52 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khansolo View Post
Hello, I recently got my X930E 65” and I’m having trouble with it, and an Apple 4k tv. I downloaded the Dolby Vision update for the tv, and i downloaded a beta software update for the Apple TV and it’s now at tvOS 11.3. My problem is, whenever I try to play a movie from iTunes that has either Dolby Vision, or just HDR, the HDR does not work. Only content from Netflix, Amazon Prime play in HDR or Dolby Vision. The only movie that plays in Dolby Vision from ITunes is Spider-Man:Homecoming. Now I already set settings to Match Dynamic range and frame rate. Now I have no idea why it’s not working. The freaking menu plays Is in Dolby Vision, I don’t know what I’m doing wrong.
tvOS 11.3 is in beta testing. If you are sure you own the HDR versions of movies in iTunes and aren't getting HDR playback, you should be reporting the problem to Apple so they can fix it before the release comes out.
post #5255 of 11070 Old 02-09-2018, 02:54 PM

Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khansolo View Post
Hello, I recently got my X930E 65” and I’m having trouble with it, and an Apple 4k tv. I downloaded the Dolby Vision update for the tv, and i downloaded a beta software update for the Apple TV and it’s now at tvOS 11.3. My problem is, whenever I try to play a movie from iTunes that has either Dolby Vision, or just HDR, the HDR does not work. Only content from Netflix, Amazon Prime play in HDR or Dolby Vision. The only movie that plays in Dolby Vision from ITunes is Spider-Man:Homecoming. Now I already set settings to Match Dynamic range and frame rate. Now I have no idea why it’s not working. The freaking menu plays Is in Dolby Vision, I don’t know what I’m doing wrong.

Unless you buy 4k blurays with a digital version, are buying directly from iTunes, or buying 4k copies from other “movies anywhere” providers you will only get the lower quality versions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5256 of 11070 Old 02-09-2018, 02:57 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by isarafan View Post

I wouldn't be surprised if OPPO is just like, "screw it, we aren't going to release an update for these Sony TV's. Who knows if Europe will even get the update?"
Odd I haven't noticed any beeps since upgrading. I had noticed occasional beeps in the YouTube app, but that has happened since I got the TV back in November.
aflorida likes this.
post #5257 of 11070 Old 02-09-2018, 03:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Is there a way to sort or otherwise manage the Featured Apps and Apps section on the home screen?

Every time I go there they’re all in a different order. And most of them I don’t even need. Clutter clutter.

Mark

"We named the dog Indiana."
Directv since '03
post #5258 of 11070 Old 02-09-2018, 03:12 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Showtime question: Is the android native app for Showtime or Showtime Anywhere -- as good as any other source, PQ & UI wise, for streaming Showtime. Or are those thingamajiggers like Chromecast Ultra . . or Amazon Fire TV Stick w/Allegra better in any way? Thanks for all replies.

Last edited by WinMod21; 02-09-2018 at 05:03 PM.
post #5259 of 11070 Old 02-09-2018, 03:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Sorry in advance for replying to my own post, but I wanted to provide an update in context. I'd like to thank whoever it was that discovered that the cause of this display problem might simply be a physically dirty screen -- perhaps some leftover residue from protective film used in assembly or shipping. I gave my screen a good cleaning yesterday, and I can't see any sign of the straight vertical border that was located on the left third of the screen. I've seen others post about this, and simply cleaning the screen solves the problem. This was the only problem I've had with this TV, and I'm still in awe of how good the picture is.
Your welcome lol, to be honest only reason I knew that was it happened to me and someone else just had it recently as well. Glad it worked out

Last edited by fssfguy; 02-09-2018 at 03:38 PM.
post #5260 of 11070 Old 02-09-2018, 03:22 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morac View Post
Odd I haven't noticed any beeps since upgrading. I had noticed occasional beeps in the YouTube app, but that has happened since I got the TV back in November.
I have certainly noticed the sound. Until reading the referenced article, I didn't realize it was likely due to the software update. The sound is not really a beep; it is like a high pitched interference type of sound. As if the speakers "shorted out" for a very brief moment.

I have DirecTV. The sound seems to only occur when I go from watching a recorded show to normal programming. I will pay closer attention to the the occurrence now.

I am certainly contacting Sony to hear their response and possible resolution.
post #5261 of 11070 Old 02-09-2018, 03:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drelldrell View Post
I have certainly noticed the sound. Until reading the referenced article, I didn't realize it was likely due to the software update. The sound is not really a beep; it is like a high pitched interference type of sound. As if the speakers "shorted out" for a very brief moment.

I have DirecTV. The sound seems to only occur when I go from watching a recorded show to normal programming. I will pay closer attention to the the occurrence now.

I’m experiencing exactly the same with Directv HR54.

Mark

"We named the dog Indiana."
Directv since '03
post #5262 of 11070 Old 02-09-2018, 04:23 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarpSpeed2013 View Post
That's what I was hoping, but I couldn't find any evidence anywhere that they were indeed using a different 65-inch panel in the X930E vs the Z9D. Someone on the Z9D forum thought the 930E/Z9D used the same panel and had the same response time.

I assume you run your Xbox One X in game mode? So there is no motion interpolation potentially hiding motion blur?

The 65” X930E and 65” Z9D definitely do not use the same panel, as the pixel response specs are quite different (to the benefit of the X930E). From what I have seen, the X930E and the X900E seem to be the 2017 Sony TVs with the fastest pixel response, with the Z9D and X940E being significantly slower (except, apparently, for the Z9D in sizes larger than 65”). I don’t know why Sony would have such variation between models, with no apparent rhyme or reason.

I do run the TV in game mode when using the Xbox, but I sometimes forget to switch to game mode and haven’t noticed any difference, other than the natural difference in input lag. Visually, both modes (Cinema Home and Game) look great with no detectable blurring.

For what it’s worth, this is my first LED/LCD TV after having owned one of Samsung’s 2007 LED light engine-based DLP TVs for several years. As one of DLP’s strengths is its extremely fast pixel response, I was concerned that I would notice motion blur on the X930E by comparison. After now having owned the X930E since October, I don’t think I can make out any significant difference. The X930E (as for any LED/LCD) does have to be slower responding than my DLP, just because of the difference in technology, but I think Sony’s processing covers for it so well that it’s not noticeable.

I’m very picky when it comes to picture defects or performance issues and I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend the 65” X930E.

Last edited by Logan5; 02-09-2018 at 04:27 PM.
post #5263 of 11070 Old 02-09-2018, 04:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:
no beeps here either (I have the OPTIMUM Cable Box) ...I believe you can turn off the YOU TUBE beeps under the YOU TUBE SETTINGS....
post #5264 of 11070 Old 02-09-2018, 04:39 PM

Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Lynch View Post
Wondering if I should get a Bluray player.

Is the difference that drastic over Netflix with a good connection?
To be honest I don't see any difference between the various formats when streaming 1080, SDR, HDR, DV content from Netflix, Prime on ATV 4K or Android. The picture quality is great but there's no visible difference between the formats when streaming. I use Cinema Pro and have a fast connection 30-40 mps.

4K HDR Blu-ray disk on the other hand is far superior to streaming, plus you better audio including Dolby Atmos. To get the most out of the 930E I highly recommend a 4K Blu-ray player such as the X800 or newer X700.

Last edited by Canuck Sonido; 02-09-2018 at 04:54 PM.
post #5265 of 11070 Old 02-09-2018, 05:15 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drelldrell View Post

I also have noticed it since the latest update. Glad to hear you are going to be in contact with Sony. Thanks! Any updates would be apprciated.
post #5266 of 11070 Old 02-09-2018, 05:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan5 View Post
The 65” X930E and 65” Z9D definitely do not use the same panel, as the pixel response specs are quite different (to the benefit of the X930E). From what I have seen, the X930E and the X900E seem to be the 2017 Sony TVs with the fastest pixel response, with the Z9D and X940E being significantly slower (except, apparently, for the Z9D in sizes larger than 65”). I don’t know why Sony would have such variation between models, with no apparent rhyme or reason.

I do run the TV in game mode when using the Xbox, but I sometimes forget to switch to game mode and haven’t noticed any difference, other than the natural difference in input lag. Visually, both modes (Cinema Home and Game) look great with no detectable blurring.

For what it’s worth, this is my first LED/LCD TV after having owned one of Samsung’s 2007 LED light engine-based DLP TVs for several years. As one of DLP’s strengths is its extremely fast pixel response, I was concerned that I would notice motion blur on the X930E by comparison. After now having owned the X930E since October, I don’t think I can make out any significant difference. The X930E (as for any LED/LCD) does have to be slower responding than my DLP, just because of the difference in technology, but I think Sony’s processing covers for it so well that it’s not noticeable.

I’m very picky when it comes to picture defects or performance issues and I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend the 65” X930E.
Just set it to game them put it on auto 24fps. It will automatically switch to cinema home when it detects content in 24fps.
post #5267 of 11070 Old 02-09-2018, 06:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 2533 Post(s)
Liked: 2851
Just added the single strip Medialight bias lighting kit to my 65 inch X930E and wanted to show how I did the install as an easily movable product to another future TV set if desired. Those clear plastic clips are from another users recommend and they worked out great . I also used the 2 included bias lighting cable clips on the inputs aside to take the weight of the excess rolled up USB cable from the connector into USB 3 on the TV. Took all of about 20 to 30 minutes and I only had to cut down just a single LED light from the whole strip.

idntknw and aflorida like this.

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html
post #5268 of 11070 Old 02-09-2018, 07:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Warranties

Would you recommend buying a well known but more expense multi-year warranty from Best Buy or the much lower priced warranty from Costco? The lower cost is attractive but not at the sake of poor service. Btw, I've had warranties from both but never needed to place a claim?

Sony 4K XBR55X930E, Sony 4K UBPX800 Blu-Ray Player, Sony HTST 5000 SoundBar, DirecTV 4K HS17 w/2 Mini Genies, Panamax MR5100 Power Manager, Harmony Elite Remote, Monoprice Cables
post #5269 of 11070 Old 02-09-2018, 09:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked: 134
930 installed and running

Extremely happy with our new Sony 55" 930 along with Sony HT-ST 5000 Soundbar and Sony UBP X800 4K Blu-Ray. Video and Audio is extremely awesome. Best Buy Geek Squad did a superb installation. The only challenge is programming our Harmony 130 to match commands with the new Sony components. Did go with all Monoprice Ultra Slim HDMI's.

Sony 4K XBR55X930E, Sony 4K UBPX800 Blu-Ray Player, Sony HTST 5000 SoundBar, DirecTV 4K HS17 w/2 Mini Genies, Panamax MR5100 Power Manager, Harmony Elite Remote, Monoprice Cables

Last edited by 49Merc; 02-09-2018 at 09:07 PM.
post #5270 of 11070 Old 02-09-2018, 10:26 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi guys, sometimes i get no signal either in hdmi 2 and 3 when i turn on ps4 pro or Xbox one s. One time I got the signal come and go intermittently. Could it be both faulty HDMI? Or is it random HDMI handshake problem?
post #5271 of 11070 Old 02-09-2018, 10:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Grey Bars in 4k HDR content on Amazon Video(internal apps)

Hi guys,
I just rented Baby Driver on Amazon Video on the android tv on the x930e(internal apps). Instead of being inky black as with other apps, its bright grey. It's really bothersome and really takes me out of the film. I then checked to see if this was just the transfer for Baby Driver, and it turns out many of the HDR options on Amazon have bright grey letterbox bars. I tried Manchester by the sea(Prime HDR), and it had the same grey letterbox bars. However, Goliath has inky black 2:35 letterbox bars and so did Elysium in Dolby Vision. Anybody have an answer for this? It seems to be mostly HDR sources, since Spectre in 4k SDR worked on Amazon, and so did Goliath and Elysium. Does this do the same thing on external streamers, like Apple TV 4k. Please let me know. I want to get to the bottom of this. Thanks.
post #5272 of 11070 Old 02-09-2018, 11:54 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
I tried to turn on my TV today and it wouldn’t turn on. I unplugged the TV, waited about 30 seconds and tried to turn in on with the remote and it still wouldn’t turn on. I then tried the power button on the back of the TV and that worked.

It seems fine now as I can turn it back off and on with the remote, but I’ve never seen this before. Has this happened to anyone else?
Happened to me once as well
post #5273 of 11070 Old 02-09-2018, 11:55 PM

Quote:
I tried to turn on my TV today and it wouldn’t turn on. I unplugged the TV, waited about 30 seconds and tried to turn in on with the remote and it still wouldn’t turn on. I then tried the power button on the back of the TV and that worked.

It seems fine now as I can turn it back off and on with the remote, but I’ve never seen this before. Has this happened to anyone else?
Happened to me once as well
post #5274 of 11070 Old 02-10-2018, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isarafan View Post

I cut the cord along time ago
post #5275 of 11070 Old 02-10-2018, 02:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 2299 Post(s)
Liked: 1583
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49Merc View Post
Extremely happy with our new Sony 55" 930 along with Sony HT-ST 5000 Soundbar and Sony UBP X800 4K Blu-Ray. Video and Audio is extremely awesome. Best Buy Geek Squad did a superb installation. The only challenge is programming our Harmony 130 to match commands with the new Sony components. Did go with all Monoprice Ultra Slim HDMI's.
Since all your equipment is Sony, have you tried Bravia Sync?
Settings/BRAVIA Sync Settings/BRAVIA Sync control=on/Device auto power off (on or off depending on your requirements). Then go to BRAVIA Sync device list and click Enable. Then set Device control keys to Tuning keys (or Normal if you prefer).
If you don’t like Bravia Sync you might check the Harmony threads in the AVS Remote forum.

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 2-32GB 5th Gens | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2019 | Logitech Harmony Elite
post #5276 of 11070 Old 02-10-2018, 04:18 AM

Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmax67 View Post
Just added the single strip Medialight bias lighting kit to my 65 inch X930E and wanted to show how I did the install as an easily movable product to another future TV set if desired. Those clear plastic clips are from another users recommend and they worked out great . I also used the 2 included bias lighting cable clips on the inputs aside to take the weight of the excess rolled up USB cable from the connector into USB 3 on the TV. Took all of about 20 to 30 minutes and I only had to cut down just a single LED light from the whole strip.

i see people mounting strip lights close to the outer edges of the tv, you are mounting it a good deal below the top edge with ample space from the top, any specific reason?
post #5277 of 11070 Old 02-10-2018, 05:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 2533 Post(s)
Liked: 2851
Quote:
Originally Posted by rene2kx View Post
i see people mounting strip lights close to the outer edges of the tv, you are mounting it a good deal below the top edge with ample space from the top, any specific reason?
On the biaslighting.com website they say in the faq/install section it's best to place the lights 1/3rd of the way down the back if not wall mounting it and 2 inches in from the sides to allow for any wiring to be angled down out of the way. I think it's less dispersed the closer it is to the edges on some of the pictures I've seen but they still look nice. Plus this saved me the added cable mgmt. of the Quad as well as the added cost since I wasn't wall mounting mine. It puts out plenty of light as I have it set to 20% based on casting their neutral greyscreen YouTube link on their website to set the bias lighting's brightness.

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html
post #5278 of 11070 Old 02-10-2018, 05:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLM87 View Post
Hi guys,
I just rented Baby Driver on Amazon Video on the android tv on the x930e(internal apps). Instead of being inky black as with other apps, its bright grey. It's really bothersome and really takes me out of the film. I then checked to see if this was just the transfer for Baby Driver, and it turns out many of the HDR options on Amazon have bright grey letterbox bars. I tried Manchester by the sea(Prime HDR), and it had the same grey letterbox bars. However, Goliath has inky black 2:35 letterbox bars and so did Elysium in Dolby Vision. Anybody have an answer for this? It seems to be mostly HDR sources, since Spectre in 4k SDR worked on Amazon, and so did Goliath and Elysium. Does this do the same thing on external streamers, like Apple TV 4k. Please let me know. I want to get to the bottom of this. Thanks.
Have you checked your settings? Apps have there own profiles. Apps, apps video, apps picture, and all HDMI ports all each have individual settings profiles.
post #5279 of 11070 Old 02-10-2018, 05:39 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by rene2kx View Post
I mount mine very close to the edge since my TV is wall mounted and the back is so close to the wall. When I had a KS8000 I had the strip about 2-3 inches from the edge to get full coverage, but there was more space between the TV and wall so I still got a good amount of light around the TV. Even with right at the edge now, I have less light around the TV because it sits much closer to the wall than the KS8000 did.

When there is more space behind the TV there is more room for the light to travel and illuminate a larger area around the TV. So some can get away with a single strip toward the middle of the TV, some may need 2 strips and others may need all edges covered.
Madmax67 likes this.

Sony XBR-65X930E (w/luminoodle)/Sony UBP-X800M2/Apple TV 4K/PS4 Pro/Xbox One X
Denon AVR-X6200W(Surround/Height)/Emotiva XPA-3(L/C/R)/AC Infinity Aircom T8 x2
DefTech SM 65 x3(L/C/R)/DefTech PM 1000 x4(Surround)/DefTech DI5.5R x4(Atmos/DTS X)
SVS PC-2000 x2(Subs)/Panamax M4300-PM(Main) & MD2(Subs)/Logitech Harmony Elite
post #5280 of 11070 Old 02-10-2018, 07:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmax67 View Post

my installation of my Medialight is exactly the same as yours...placed in the same area on my 930E...which is on a stand...not too close to the back wall...therefore producing plenty of bias lighting with just 1 strip...tho I dont have the clips for attachment...my strip is on the back of my 930E using its own self adhesive....no problem at all since installed since December.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
jimmyhigh; solzun; zachfeen; johnerz

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page