**OFFICIAL** 2017 SONY XBR-X930E (Owner's Thread)(No Price Talk) - Page 304 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 15195Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #9091 of 10699 Old 10-26-2018, 07:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ronomy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 3,166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMEANS View Post
What scared me about the whole thing was the box was strapped upright but vertically in a truck driving around for 2 days. On the box it’s shows to store TV upright but horizontally. But again so far so good.
Well I bought my 930e at best buy and they put the tv in my truck face down flat. They never let me look at the package closely and didn't know it needed to be vertical. Luckily I only had to drive 20 miles. Tv was fine. Packaged so well that the glass was supported there was plenty of dense foam supporting it.

You can't trust any retailer to do the right thing.
shark91962 likes this.
Ronomy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #9092 of 10699 Old 10-26-2018, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 733
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMEANS View Post
What scared me about the whole thing was the box was strapped upright but vertically in a truck driving around for 2 days. On the box it’s shows to store TV upright but horizontally. But again so far so good.
Lol I worked for a Best Buy and other electronic stores, your nutz if you don’t think that tv was on Dolly’s and flipped every which way during transport lol just saying. Ppl don’t care
fssfguy is offline  
post #9093 of 10699 Old 10-26-2018, 08:45 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 733
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut1015 View Post
I’ve been testing the hdr and dv A LOT! Sources include Sony 800 uhd player, apple 4k, Xbox one x, ps4 pro, apps within the tv, and a usb of downloaded in store 4K hdr/dv demos by lg, Samsung, and Sony. Indeed, some footage is better than others. When viewing and switching a movie, regardless of the source or device, the results are consistently disappointing. I’ve read in earlier posts that the 930 has a dimming issue with d.v., However the issue seems to be with some hdr content as well. I have seen some hdr10 videos that seem to look better in hdr than sdr, such as a Xbox game, or man in the high castle through Amazon. Of course, the test footage looked good from the demo usb. Rather than constantly switching picture modes I’ve found it just easier to leave it in sdr, where this tv still looks damn great.
I’m the same way, I have a 850c in my spare room and the hdr on that is unwatchable imo, I’m not impressed with it on this set either no matter what settings I try. I think if you like a rgb picture that pops dv and hdr is not for you. Goal is natural colours and a duller life like appearance. To me it’s not impressive, with the oled blacks I’m happy with sdr 4k with that pop that suits me fine. I have hdr off on my pro and one x so my 4k disc play sdr and any dv or hdr on prime or Netflix I can watch in sdr on the systems as well as the native apps push it. Just my preference.. I know ppl think I’m wasting the tvs potentials but hey I like what I like
fssfguy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #9094 of 10699 Old 10-26-2018, 09:02 AM
Member
 
peanut1015's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 168
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fssfguy View Post
I’m the same way, I have a 850c in my spare room and the hdr on that is unwatchable imo, I’m not impressed with it on this set either no matter what settings I try. I think if you like a rgb picture that pops dv and hdr is not for you. Goal is natural colours and a duller life like appearance. To me it’s not impressive, with the oled blacks I’m happy with sdr 4k with that pop that suits me fine. I have hdr off on my pro and one x so my 4k disc play sdr and any dv or hdr on prime or Netflix I can watch in sdr on the systems as well as the native apps push it. Just my preference.. I know ppl think I’m wasting the tvs potentials but hey I like what I like
If I’m not mistaken, the 850c doesn’t display hdr, it only accepts the signal. This tv came out before hdr was a thing, and Sony updated it to make it hdr ‘ready’. To make it more confusing, there are now labels that state what hdr level you can expect. HDR 800, hdr 600, hdr 1000 etc.
peanut1015 is offline  
post #9095 of 10699 Old 10-26-2018, 01:47 PM
Senior Member
 
Lend27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Georgia
Posts: 402
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Sony 930E vs. 9 year old Panny Plasma

I upgraded to the 930E from a 50” Panasonic Plasma. I moved the Plasma to the bedroom.
My 930E looks absolutely great, but I have to admit that the Plasma looks a bit more “Natural”.
To those of you who upgraded from a plasma, how do you feel the 930E picture compares?
Lend27 is offline  
post #9096 of 10699 Old 10-26-2018, 06:43 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi I'm very new to all of this and I was wondering if there was anyone willing to help me understand how the Dolby vision works and how can you tell if your watching ot or just the hdr10. I have the 65 inch version of the 930e and just bought the lg ubk90 4k player but I've just seen a few articles that they may not be compatible with each other please help
srfrant is offline  
post #9097 of 10699 Old 10-26-2018, 07:04 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 253
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMEANS View Post
What scared me about the whole thing was the box was strapped upright but vertically in a truck driving around for 2 days. On the box it’s shows to store TV upright but horizontally. But again so far so good.
Mine came double-boxed but laying flat. I contacted the seller to have that on record as I'm not setting it up until tomorrow to check it. Probably OK, but I let the seller know it's their fault because they put no orientation arrows or "this side up" on the outside box.
shark91962 is offline  
post #9098 of 10699 Old 10-26-2018, 07:21 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 253
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by srfrant View Post
Hi I'm very new to all of this and I was wondering if there was anyone willing to help me understand how the Dolby vision works and how can you tell if your watching ot or just the hdr10. I have the 65 inch version of the 930e and just bought the lg ubk90 4k player but I've just seen a few articles that they may not be compatible with each other please help
Sony should be ashamed by how they completely botched the Dolby Vision implementation to the point that no one seems to definitively know exactly which devices fully support the Sony firmware profile besides the X700. The Oppos work, but "supposedly" don't offer "full" support. Ridiculous.
shark91962 is offline  
post #9099 of 10699 Old 10-26-2018, 08:00 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 124
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by shark91962 View Post
Sony should be ashamed by how they completely botched the Dolby Vision implementation to the point that no one seems to definitively know exactly which devices fully support the Sony firmware profile besides the X700. The Oppos work, but "supposedly" don't offer "full" support. Ridiculous.
Alternatively you could own a Samsung and never know.

Why don’t more vendors support HDR10+?

Why don’t more vendors support DV profile 5?

Why does Xbox only support DV on Netflix and nothing else?

Oppo yeah there is a genuine Chinese company. Left a whole bunch of people with a soon to be unsupported products.

You have another camp that says any HDR is garbage. Too dark.

Honestly if you look hard enough you can find faults everywhere with every vendor.
Knownasgyates11 is offline  
post #9100 of 10699 Old 10-26-2018, 08:46 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 253
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 102
^^^ Agreed. I was pointing out a glaring Sony debacle because I now own one. Can't wait to set up this bad boy tomorrow morning. It's like being a kid again on Christmas Eve! If I could safely lift this 84.22 pound behemoth myself I'd be enjoying Altered Carson's fantastic HDR presentation now instead of posting. At least I put the stand together lol.
BrianPK likes this.
shark91962 is offline  
post #9101 of 10699 Old 10-26-2018, 09:47 PM
Advanced Member
 
mgh26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 524
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mookeylama View Post
sucks about the softer image. did the update improve motion? i play alot of vid games so was hoping for improvement
Well I don't play video games but I also use custom motion settings almost maxed out. A bit of the soap opera effect that I personnaly perfer but very smooth motion before and after this latest update. Can't really say it has improved but no complaints with my 930 in this regards for streaming, cable TV as well as my sony 800X blu-ray player. Maybe a gamer can chime in who has done this update for a better answer.
mgh26 is offline  
post #9102 of 10699 Old 10-26-2018, 10:08 PM
Senior Member
 
Mookeylama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 225
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 10
okay finally made my decision! gonna buy the 930e in next couple days. but i really know nothing about the 4k thing. so i could use advice on what other accessories i need to get it up and running.
i hear ya need a special HDMI cable. what's a good cable. anything else i need off the bat? heard i might get away without a sound bar. was gonna use Playstation for blurays or maybe buy an xbox one. i watch mainly cable and game
advice greatly appreciated!
Mookeylama is offline  
post #9103 of 10699 Old 10-26-2018, 10:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Madmax67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Mckinney,Texas
Posts: 4,613
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2028 Post(s)
Liked: 2342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mookeylama View Post
okay finally made my decision! gonna buy the 930e in next couple days. but i really know nothing about the 4k thing. so i could use advice on what other accessories i need to get it up and running.
i hear ya need a special HDMI cable. what's a good cable. anything else i need off the bat? heard i might get away without a sound bar. was gonna use Playstation for blurays or maybe buy an xbox one. i watch mainly cable and game
advice greatly appreciated!
These are recommended for 4K HDR passthrough. They also make a bit thinner of the same Certified Premium cable that you could use for the source to receiver cable if you're cramped for space behind an AV receiver. 6 feet is the recommended length for the shortest CP cables and 20 feet for the longest if possible. Otherwise they are available up to 30 feet in length.
Mookeylama and retro124 like this.

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html

Last edited by Madmax67; 10-27-2018 at 12:28 PM.
Madmax67 is online now  
post #9104 of 10699 Old 10-27-2018, 06:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
retro124's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 3,241
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1427 Post(s)
Liked: 1154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mookeylama View Post
okay finally made my decision! gonna buy the 930e in next couple days. but i really know nothing about the 4k thing. so i could use advice on what other accessories i need to get it up and running.
i hear ya need a special HDMI cable. what's a good cable. anything else i need off the bat? heard i might get away without a sound bar. was gonna use Playstation for blurays or maybe buy an xbox one. i watch mainly cable and game
advice greatly appreciated!
You will really enjoy this TV. I still love it a lot. Good luck with your purchase. Since you will have real deal 4K HDR DV TV I would recommend use for sure Netflix( if you have it just upgrade to 4k with couple extra $$$) or Amazon Prime or get streaming box like Apple TV 4k (what I use a lot) so you can experiance full potential of this TV.

PQ is excellent even your Blue Rays from PS will look beter now.

Denon X6200W
Klipsch RF-7II's, RC-64II, RB-81II's, RS-62II's
SVS 2x PC12-Pluses, Emotiva XPA-200
Sony XBR65X930E , Oppo 203
Apple 4K TV, Mac mini, Sony UBP-X800, PS3
retro124 is offline  
post #9105 of 10699 Old 10-27-2018, 08:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mutelight's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 3,184
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2171 Post(s)
Liked: 2456
Quote:
Originally Posted by shark91962 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by srfrant View Post
Hi I'm very new to all of this and I was wondering if there was anyone willing to help me understand how the Dolby vision works and how can you tell if your watching ot or just the hdr10. I have the 65 inch version of the 930e and just bought the lg ubk90 4k player but I've just seen a few articles that they may not be compatible with each other please help
Sony should be ashamed by how they completely botched the Dolby Vision implementation to the point that no one seems to definitively know exactly which devices fully support the Sony firmware profile besides the X700. The Oppos work, but "supposedly" don't offer "full" support. Ridiculous.
Can confirm you’re incorrect regarding “full” support with the Oppo. I have two players on two different TVs and it works perfectly. Same goes with the Apple TV and Xboxes on all three of my TVs, in regards to Dolby Vision.
mutelight is online now  
post #9106 of 10699 Old 10-27-2018, 09:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ronomy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 3,166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I recently noticed that HDR content plays back much brighter and with more contrast on my tvs android apps when compared to playback via my apple tv set to HDR output. I use VLC app on both to access my HDR videos from my NAS. VLC and even the Sony video app is much brighter than through my apple 4k.
Ronomy is offline  
post #9107 of 10699 Old 10-27-2018, 12:48 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 124
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by shark91962 View Post
^^^ Agreed. I was pointing out a glaring Sony debacle because I now own one. Can't wait to set up this bad boy tomorrow morning. It's like being a kid again on Christmas Eve! If I could safely lift this 84.22 pound behemoth myself I'd be enjoying Altered Carson's fantastic HDR presentation now instead of posting. At least I put the stand together lol.
Really is a great tv. It’s heavy for sure. Altered Carbon is good. Another good example is lost in space if sci fi is your interest. Watching the new Sabrina last night not bad either kinda of a cross between buffy and supernatural. The DV implementation looks really good.
shark91962 likes this.
Knownasgyates11 is offline  
post #9108 of 10699 Old 10-27-2018, 02:12 PM
Newbie
 
joseb101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Why does it look so dark when playing Dolby Vision movies from Netflix on the Xbox One X if turn off Dolby Vision on the Xbox settings and play a movie on HDR it looks a lot brighter.
Is there something on the Tv settings or the Xbox settings i have to change for Dolby Vision to look brighter
joseb101 is offline  
post #9109 of 10699 Old 10-27-2018, 04:48 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronomy View Post
I recently noticed that HDR content plays back much brighter and with more contrast on my tvs android apps when compared to playback via my apple tv set to HDR output. I use VLC app on both to access my HDR videos from my NAS. VLC and even the Sony video app is much brighter than through my apple 4k.

I have been saying this for awhile now. I just posted again about it a couple pages back. Apple TV, Xbox one X, Roku... Anything over HDMI just doesn’t have the same pop with contrast or brightness that the native tv apps have. There was someone else on here that saw the same thing as well a couple months back. Actually our conversation on the Vudu forum about it got deleted. Not sure why. I can’t figure it out. I messed around with a lot of different picture settings and can’t get it to match the native apps(Vudu,Netflix,Prime). Nobody else on here wants to chime in on it, so don’t hold your breath.
JakeS550 is offline  
post #9110 of 10699 Old 10-27-2018, 04:56 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronomy View Post
I recently noticed that HDR content plays back much brighter and with more contrast on my tvs android apps when compared to playback via my apple tv set to HDR output. I use VLC app on both to access my HDR videos from my NAS. VLC and even the Sony video app is much brighter than through my apple 4k.
One night I was bored and spent a couple hours going back and forth between the Apple TV, Xbox, and the Android apps(Vudu, Netflix)comparing the same movie on the same scene, and definitely noticed the difference. The android apps definitely looked brighter.
JakeS550 is offline  
post #9111 of 10699 Old 10-27-2018, 06:08 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 733
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseb101 View Post
Why does it look so dark when playing Dolby Vision movies from Netflix on the Xbox One X if turn off Dolby Vision on the Xbox settings and play a movie on HDR it looks a lot brighter.
Is there something on the Tv settings or the Xbox settings i have to change for Dolby Vision to look brighter
Because it kinda crap.. I put on the dv on my one x and it like push fake DV for all content that’s not actually dv. Was pretty underwhelmed on actual dv content. Only I saw better is there was no polarizing like there is on native app
fssfguy is offline  
post #9112 of 10699 Old 10-27-2018, 09:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ronomy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 3,166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeS550 View Post
One night I was bored and spent a couple hours going back and forth between the Apple TV, Xbox, and the Android apps(Vudu, Netflix)comparing the same movie on the same scene, and definitely noticed the difference. The android apps definitely looked brighter.
Not seeing a brightness difference when watching SDR. But with HDR both peak white and black level are different. Black level is raised up when playing HDR video via the apple 4k. So the image is not as dynamic. Contrast is reduced. So its HDR that does not look right via HDMI. SDR is ok... I am still testing different formats to see if I see any more changes.
Ronomy is offline  
post #9113 of 10699 Old 10-27-2018, 11:26 PM
Senior Member
 
Mookeylama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 225
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmax67 View Post
These are recommended for 4K HDR passthrough. They also make a bit thinner of the same Certified Premium cable that you could use for the source to receiver cable if you're cramped for space behind an AV receiver. 6 feet is the recommended length for the shortest CP cables and 20 feet for the longest if possible. Otherwise they are available up to 30 feet in length.
thank you! ordered those hdmi cables. and i think i'm correct in needing an PS4 PRO and/or Xbox ONE S or X if i get those eventually. i have my PC hooked to my tv and i think it's capable of 4K. it's a 1080ti vga and 6700k. think that'll do 4k?

and do i need a Sound Bar? i've heard u can get by without one on the tv but would like advice there. best buy has a deal on some bars when buying the tv
Mookeylama is offline  
post #9114 of 10699 Old 10-28-2018, 09:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ronomy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 3,166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mookeylama View Post
thank you! ordered those hdmi cables. and i think i'm correct in needing an PS4 PRO and/or Xbox ONE S or X if i get those eventually. i have my PC hooked to my tv and i think it's capable of 4K. it's a 1080ti vga and 6700k. think that'll do 4k?

and do i need a Sound Bar? i've heard u can get by without one on the tv but would like advice there. best buy has a deal on some bars when buying the tv
Sound isn't bad on this TV but if you want bigger sound with bass you'll need at least a sub. Many sound bars today offer big sound and have the ability for atmos surround with some of them.

My TV is flush mounted to the wall behind my bar and for that location the TV speakers are good enough for that type of setup. I go in my theater when I want to watch a movie.
Ronomy is offline  
post #9115 of 10699 Old 10-28-2018, 11:05 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 253
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 102
This is a great TV, especially from a value standpoint. If you feed it a decent source, the Sony upsccaling is unrivaled. My highly compressed Spectrum feed is really bad, especially for sports, but play the same game in an app and you can dial it in nicely. Wish they offered NFL RedZone online in my area. Great tips on this forum.
shark91962 is offline  
post #9116 of 10699 Old 10-28-2018, 12:42 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronomy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeS550 View Post
One night I was bored and spent a couple hours going back and forth between the Apple TV, Xbox, and the Android apps(Vudu, Netflix)comparing the same movie on the same scene, and definitely noticed the difference. The android apps definitely looked brighter.
Not seeing a brightness difference when watching SDR. But with HDR both peak white and black level are different. Black level is raised up when playing HDR video via the apple 4k. So the image is not as dynamic. Contrast is reduced. So its HDR that does not look right via HDMI. SDR is ok... I am still testing different formats to see if I see any more changes.

I really don’t see a difference in SDR as well. Just the HDR over HDMI. I just compared another two movies this morning. The first 5 minutes of infinity Wars, with Thanos on the ship. The internal Vudu app against the Apple TVs Vudu and movies. Peak brightness and contrast looks reduced from the Apple TV. Also a scene in the Justice League when Superman was talking to his mom outside at the house a little over half way through the movie. Again the reduced contrast and brightness in the Apple TV. The sky looks definitely darker. Definitely raised black levels. The best way for me to describe it, is it looks like it was filmed with a lens filter compared to the native apps.
JakeS550 is offline  
post #9117 of 10699 Old 10-28-2018, 03:03 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 253
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 102
^^^That's an interesting result. Did you happen to check if both apps have the same version number?
shark91962 is offline  
post #9118 of 10699 Old 10-28-2018, 04:29 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by shark91962 View Post
^^^That's an interesting result. Did you happen to check if both apps have the same version number?
They can’t have the same version #. The Vudu app on the tv is for Android, and the one the Apple TV is TVOS. Now the Apple movies app and Vudu on the ATV looked the same. All apps are up to date with latest version. But I have noticed this on multiple versions of all the apps. I believe it has something to do with HDR and DV over HDMI. My Roku and Xbox one X also looked the same as th ATV. Also just compared the Xbox Netflix DV, and the TVs Netflix app. I compared different scenes in the movie Bright. Near the end when they bring the elf into the pool. The Xbox again was darker than the tv app. The tv Netflix app definitely had way more pop to the colors and brightness. Watching it in the dark, the pool scene on my tv Netflix almost hurt to look at it was so bright. Loved it lol.
JakeS550 is offline  
post #9119 of 10699 Old 10-28-2018, 07:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
49Merc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: North Texas
Posts: 2,424
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 675 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Sony 4K XBR55X930E does not recognize 4K

When trying to watch a 4k movie from DirecTV my Sony 4K XBR55X930E will post that the highest resolution is 720p. The DirecTV MiniGenie has all resolutions checked. Question, how do I get the 930E to display 4K?

Sony 4K XBR55X930E, Sony 4K UBPX800 Blu-Ray Player, Sony HTST 5000 SoundBar, DirecTV 4K HS17 w/2 Mini Genies, Panamax MR5100 Power Manager, Harmony Elite Remote, Monoprice Cables
49Merc is offline  
post #9120 of 10699 Old 10-29-2018, 03:34 AM
Senior Member
 
Artzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 235
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49Merc View Post
When trying to watch a 4k movie from DirecTV my Sony 4K XBR55X930E will post that the highest resolution is 720p. The DirecTV MiniGenie has all resolutions checked. Question, how do I get the 930E to display 4K?
As I understand it the 930e is displaying 4k - upsampling all lower res signals internally. It's likely that the Sony is telling you that the input signal is 720p. It's a bit early for me to dive into the menu's on the tv but I believe all of the hdmi inputs accept 4k (assuming you are using HDMI input here) I think you need to look at your source signal.


There's also a spot in the settings where you have to designate HDMI input as "enhanced" or something like that. I doubt that will change anything as I believe that is only to engage HDR10 and Dolby Vision capabilities but might be worth making sure you've done that as well.
Artzilla is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
jimmyhigh; solzun; zachfeen; johnerz

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off