**OFFICIAL** 2017 SONY XBR-X930E (Owner's Thread)(No Price Talk) - Page 306 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 15227Likes

post #9151 of 10805 Old 10-31-2018, 04:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Question

Does this TV support Dolby Digital from HDMI inputs?

Dolby Vision is working fine with the Netflex app. But when I use my BR player (Philips BDP7502/F7) the player says the disc is Dolby Vision but the output is HDR. Can anyone confirm that Dolby Vision works from HDMI inputs on this TV?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9152 of 10805 Old 10-31-2018, 06:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 102
**OFFICIAL** 2017 SONY XBR-X930E (Owner's Thread)(No Price Talk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUTB View Post

Dolby Vision is working fine with the Netflex app. But when I use my BR player (Philips BDP7502/F7) the player says the disc is Dolby Vision but the output is HDR. Can anyone confirm that Dolby Vision works from HDMI inputs on this TV?
It’s supports a Sony specific version of DV over HDMI, which is only supported by a handful of devices including Apple TV 4K, Sony UBP-X700 and Oppo 203 and 205. I don’t believe Philips supports Sony DV, unless it got an update to do so.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarc.../#1aec752f548c

Last edited by Morac; 10-31-2018 at 06:10 PM.
post #9153 of 10805 Old 10-31-2018, 07:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutelight View Post
I can confirm that I also noticed DV Blu-rays are much brighter than the Apple TV and are more like the internal apps.
It's not HDR played back through the apple 4k that's for sure. Hdmi range is not greyed out like it is playing back via the tv app.

Plus HDR looks amazing via the Android apps in TV.

Last edited by Ronomy; 10-31-2018 at 07:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9154 of 10805 Old 10-31-2018, 08:14 PM

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Hi guys, I have a question. I bought my 930E65" 10 months ago and it's perfect right out of the box this whole time. I have never updated the tv till now because I was afraid to mess it up. My question is, is the Dolby vision update a separate update that I will have to download from the website or is it included in the automatic update? Thanks for you help.
post #9155 of 10805 Old 10-31-2018, 08:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modicen View Post
Hi guys, I have a question. I bought my 930E65" 10 months ago and it's perfect right out of the box this whole time. I have never updated the tv till now because I was afraid to mess it up. My question is, is the Dolby vision update a separate update that I will have to download from the website or is it included in the automatic update? Thanks for you help.
The dolby vision update was released in the previous revision to the current one posted. But you can't download the previous release. Unless you can find someone who had downloaded it and has a copy of it.
Modicen likes this.
post #9156 of 10805 Old 10-31-2018, 09:39 PM
Advanced Member

Regarding DV looking too dark, one of the Vudu engineers posted about this back in May.

https://forum.vudu.com/forum/vudu/ge...721#post461721

Quote:
Dolby Vision is generally graded & displayed so that the darkest scenes may look darker when compared to an SDR version - the reason is that while technically SDR content is graded at a max of 100 nits, most TVs for years have been able to display more, and instead of displaying at the intended max level, they just scale it up to their maximum brightness. So in effect most old content was WAY brighter than the creators intended. If you want that same effect on HDR content you are free to turn up the TVs brightness settings, but it will not be what was intended by the director/colorist/etc.

Note we have identified some issues with dim HDR video (on Xbox1, which Microsoft is fixing very soon; on Android TV, which has already been fixed, and most recently on Roku TCL TV which we are working with Roku to investigate). But generally Dolby Vision *does* have both darker dark scenes and brighter bright scenes - the difference is there is still detail on the dark scenes - ie. in the case of the LG OLEDs we have tested on several TVs and confirmed with Dolby and Disney that the first two scenes are displayed as intended.
post #9157 of 10805 Old 11-01-2018, 02:24 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morac View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GUTB View Post

It’s supports a Sony specific version of DV over HDMI, which is only supported by a handful of devices including Apple TV 4K, Sony UBP-X700 and Oppo 203 and 205. I don’t believe Philips supports Sony DV, unless it got an update to do so.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarc.../#1aec752f548c
The Xbox one X and S support Sony’s DV as well only through Netflix. Hopefully soon through disc.
post #9158 of 10805 Old 11-01-2018, 05:56 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 25
So have a new 55” 930E Sept 2017 build, consistently asking me to update. No issues at all with the set, running and looking beautiful so leaning toward if it ain’t broke don’t fix. Should I update? If so why? If not anyway to disable the prompt window? Thanks in advance. Jim

"The Man Cave is the Warmest Place to Hide..."
post #9159 of 10805 Old 11-01-2018, 07:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Regarding DV looking too dark, one of the Vudu engineers posted about this back in May.

https://forum.vudu.com/forum/vudu/ge...721#post461721
For me I never think either HDR10 and DV are dark. They just look contrast ratio compressed on my 930e when viewed via the apple 4k. So peak white is reduced and black level is a little higher.

If you are someone who loves dynamic contrast and backlighting set relatively high on the 930e while watching SDR video then yeah you might think HDR and DV look dark.
post #9160 of 10805 Old 11-01-2018, 09:04 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronomy View Post
For me I never think either HDR10 and DV are dark. They just look contrast ratio compressed on my 930e when viewed via the apple 4k. So peak white is reduced and black level is a little higher.

If you are someone who loves dynamic contrast and backlighting set relatively high on the 930e while watching SDR video then yeah you might think HDR and DV look dark.
I agree something is definitely going on with the Apple TV and Sony 930e. The best picture I have seen has been UHD discs on my x700 player. It's not even close the UHD discs have better dynamic range, color, and clarity. I don't think there should be as big of a difference as I'm seeing esp with the dynamic range. The only way I can get a "correct" picture from what I can tell is by watching UHD discs. Pretty disappointing considering I bought the Apple TV to stream movies.
post #9161 of 10805 Old 11-01-2018, 10:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante172 View Post
I agree something is definitely going on with the Apple TV and Sony 930e. The best picture I have seen has been UHD discs on my x700 player. It's not even close the UHD discs have better dynamic range, color, and clarity. I don't think there should be as big of a difference as I'm seeing esp with the dynamic range. The only way I can get a "correct" picture from what I can tell is by watching UHD discs. Pretty disappointing considering I bought the Apple TV to stream movies.
BluRay UHD discs will always be the best...bit rate is much higher. Standard non-HDR 4K videos look fine via the Apple 4K. Just HDR that is off a bit. HDR looks worse than DV HDR in my Apple 4K setup.
post #9162 of 10805 Old 11-01-2018, 10:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2244 Post(s)
Liked: 2530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante172 View Post
It seems to be down to Apple's implementation of Dolby Vision Profile 5. The peak brightness is a bit lower on the Apple TV across my three Sony TVs whereas Dolby Vision from my Oppo on my TVs is retina searing bright.

There was speculation that HDMI implementation was darker for Profile 5 but most everyone I have seen reporting it are using the Apple TV as a source. After testing numerous discs in Dolby Vision versus the iTunes Dolby Vision version, I can safely say that it is almost certainly down to Apple's implementation.
tmdorsey, Ronomy and m_snow like this.
post #9163 of 10805 Old 11-01-2018, 02:05 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Still waiting on the update to fix dolby vision on apps. Dolby Vision is way to washed out and drab at stock settings based on Netflix viewing. Forced to use the roku app to get regular hdr with Netflix.
post #9164 of 10805 Old 11-01-2018, 02:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoboBrazil View Post
Still waiting on the update to fix dolby vision on apps. Dolby Vision is way to washed out and drab at stock settings based on Netflix viewing. Forced to use the roku app to get regular hdr with Netflix.
Which shows?

Unless I missed it, you are the first person to say the on board apps are washed out so it is unlikely that there will be a "fix".
post #9165 of 10805 Old 11-01-2018, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Which shows?

Unless I missed it, you are the first person to say the on board apps are washed out so it is unlikely that there will be a "fix".
Pretty much anything that uses dolby vision on netflix. Maniac being a newer example. Screen gets really dim and colors are dull. Maybe washed out was the wrong term.
post #9166 of 10805 Old 11-01-2018, 02:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Pretty much anything that uses dolby vision on netflix. Maniac being a newer example. Screen gets really dim and colors are dull. Maybe washed out was the wrong term.
Interesting, I haven't seen that myself but I will gladly test that specific show out on mine.
post #9167 of 10805 Old 11-01-2018, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Interesting, I haven't seen that myself but I will gladly test that specific show out on mine.

If you have another device that can play netflix with just hdr and not dolby vision, compare the difference. It's a huge difference in brightness and colors.
post #9168 of 10805 Old 11-01-2018, 04:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1720 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
Quote:

Which show(s)? I haven’t had DV problems on the Netflix internal app.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 32GB 5th Gen | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Logitech Harmony Elite
post #9169 of 10805 Old 11-01-2018, 05:37 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
I'd run your TV service box into HDMI 1 or 4 since you won't need the 18Gbps ports for TV, sound bar into HDMI 3 for ARC, then you could run your PC through the soundbar for 4K, that way you still have a 18Gbps port open (HDMI 2) should you ever add another 4K source.
thanks! shows how much i know...i figured Fioptics TV would need the better 18gbps ports.

1. so will the TV get use of the sound bar if ran directly to the TV? i had done that earlier and seemed the setbox was only using tv speakers

2. i had ran the PC into hdmi 2 18gps port earlier and i could not even get a picture. it was saying no source found or such. moving pc to port 4 worked tho. the pc is in another room, using an older hdmi cable (about 25-30 foot, ran thru the floor). could it not be working in HDMI 2 or 3 because it needs a newer high speed 18gbps cable?
post #9170 of 10805 Old 11-01-2018, 05:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mookeylama View Post
thanks! shows how much i know...i figured Fioptics TV would need the better 18gbps ports.

1. so will the TV get use of the sound bar if ran directly to the TV? i had done that earlier and seemed the setbox was only using tv speakers

2. i had ran the PC into hdmi 2 18gps port earlier and i could not even get a picture. it was saying no source found or such. moving pc to port 4 worked tho. the pc is in another room, using an older hdmi cable (about 25-30 foot, ran thru the floor). could it not be working in HDMI 2 or 3 because it needs a newer high speed 18gbps cable?
Unless your TV provider is pushing 4K video at 60Hz, you do not need the full bandwidth port.

You will get TV audio to your soundbar if it is connected to the HDMI 3/ARC port on the TV. If it was only using the TV speakers, hit the action menu, go to Speakers, then make sure "Audio System" is selected.

As far as not getting a picture from your PC, the reason you got picture on port 4 is because you were only stressing the cable to 9Gbps and for 4K you were using chroma subsampling. When you connected it to the full bandwidth port, the PC did a handshake and saw the TV on the other end could handle 18Gbps but your cable failed to pass the signal.

You need a 18Gbps cable for 4K 60Hz and ideally a Certified Premium one.
Mookeylama likes this.
post #9171 of 10805 Old 11-02-2018, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Unless your TV provider is pushing 4K video at 60Hz, you do not need the full bandwidth port.

You will get TV audio to your soundbar if it is connected to the HDMI 3/ARC port on the TV. If it was only using the TV speakers, hit the action menu, go to Speakers, then make sure "Audio System" is selected.

As far as not getting a picture from your PC, the reason you got picture on port 4 is because you were only stressing the cable to 9Gbps and for 4K you were using chroma subsampling. When you connected it to the full bandwidth port, the PC did a handshake and saw the TV on the other end could handle 18Gbps but your cable failed to pass the signal.

You need a 18Gbps cable for 4K 60Hz and ideally a Certified Premium one.
awesome! thank you so much. wish we could give kudos here.

i'll get that cable you linked to, or do you think for my long requirement of 30+ft i should get an active one (Redmere maybe?) like this...
https://smile.amazon.com/Monoprice-A...ed%2BHDMI&th=1

EDIT; actually, here's the cable i've been using for a year or so.
https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters...K%2BRated&th=1
i didn't even remember that it's active. surprised it's not allowing the signal since i thought it met all the specs

Last edited by Mookeylama; 11-02-2018 at 02:49 AM.
post #9172 of 10805 Old 11-02-2018, 07:31 AM

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 115
^^^If you read the product specifications section on Amazon for the Cable Matters active HDMI cable you are currently using, you'll see it's rated at 4K 30Hz, not the full bandwidth 4K 60Hz. It also does not appear to be "Certified Premium". You'll pay a little more for the Monoprice ($32.18 for 35 feet), but it's well worth the extra $5.
post #9173 of 10805 Old 11-02-2018, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark91962 View Post
^^^If you read the product specifications section on Amazon for the Cable Matters active HDMI cable you are currently using, you'll see it's rated at 4K 30Hz, not the full bandwidth 4K 60Hz. It also does not appear to be "Certified Premium". You'll pay a little more for the Monoprice ($32.18 for 35 feet), but it's well worth the extra $5.
thanks.
so should i get the Cert Premium one that Mutelight linked...
https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_...seq=1&format=2

or do you think the length requires an Active one...
https://smile.amazon.com/Monoprice-A...ed%2BHDMI&th=1
post #9174 of 10805 Old 11-02-2018, 07:38 PM

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 115
^^^ Definitely active at 30+ feet. On a different topic, ALL the HDR content on my internal Netflx app now says Dolby Vision. Movies, Netflix content, everything! No HDR10 content at all. I know that can't be right.
post #9175 of 10805 Old 11-03-2018, 01:29 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by shark91962 View Post
^^^ Definitely active at 30+ feet. On a different topic, ALL the HDR content on my internal Netflx app now says Dolby Vision. Movies, Netflix content, everything! No HDR10 content at all. I know that can't be right.
It’s been that way on my tv since I got it......
post #9176 of 10805 Old 11-03-2018, 06:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked: 328
I haven't updated my firmware in roughly six months, though I do have the DV update from early this year. Are there any significant known issues with the newest firmware?
post #9177 of 10805 Old 11-03-2018, 09:10 AM

Is the Dolby vision update done over the net or does it have to be downloaded onto a USB stick and done that way?
post #9178 of 10805 Old 11-03-2018, 10:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modicen View Post
Is the Dolby vision update done over the net or does it have to be downloaded onto a USB stick and done that way?

Either way works.
post #9179 of 10805 Old 11-03-2018, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Either way works.
Thanks Morac, that's what I figured but I wanted to check anyway.
post #9180 of 10805 Old 11-03-2018, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Really depends on the content. The best DV examples are Lost in Space and Altered Carbon. Daredevil can look grainy if that is a term. Watching Sabrina looks good to my eyes.

You probably know this but DV has its own settings. Maybe check all your picture settings they are how you like them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
jimmyhigh; solzun; zachfeen; johnerz

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page