**OFFICIAL** 2017 SONY XBR-X930E (Owner's Thread)(No Price Talk) - Page 325 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 15239Likes

post #9721 of 10883 Old 12-13-2018, 08:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2348 Post(s)
Liked: 2645
Quote:
Originally Posted by aKa DaShiznit View Post
I mean I suppose it could just be a quirk with my harmony maybe. I could always try the IP thing since they fixed it or even just try the stock remote for a bit and see if it ever doesn’t respond to that.
I use a Harmony Home Companion and no IP control and have never had the startup issues you're describing. May be a a sensor issue with the TV. You could give IP control a try and see if thst sidesteps the problems you're having. Hopefully nothing is going bad hardware wise.

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9722 of 10883 Old 12-13-2018, 08:59 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_snow View Post
I saw the update waiting and went to the Nvidia Shield forum AVR didn’t see a lot of complaints, mostly nits. What major issues are you referring to?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This: https://forums.geforce.com/default/t...e-upgrade-7-2/

A lot of people's units don't work anymore, and some believe theirs is bricked. We'll see. I'm definitely not upgrading yet until they've got everything sorted out.
jb442386 likes this.

Sony XBR-65X930E | NVIDIA SHIELD TV | Apple TV 4K | Samsung BD-P1600
Yamaha TSR-7810 | Energy C-100 / Energy C-C100 / Energy S10.3 / Polk RC60i
Logitech Harmony 950 / Smart Control w/ Harmony Hub
post #9723 of 10883 Old 12-13-2018, 09:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fssfguy View Post
I just returned my Apple TV 4k and hot shield last week. I’m loving it so far, only issue I have is having to manually change resolution to get the tv to do better upscaling the the shield

I can for sdr 4k on my google play movie in rec709 so I’m happy, I signed up for preview program and got 7.2 but am not allowed access to the section of forums yet.

What issues it seems fine to me ? Could you post link please

Cheers
Posted just above.

I love my Apple TV 4K. Dolby Vision, Dolby Atmos, HDR10, all the apps I need... the only reason I have the SHIELD is for the Tablo Engine app which lets me DVR with my HD antenna. However, I just read something that I might be able to do that with Apple TV now. I'll need to research that. If I can do that with the ATV, that's all I'd need.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9724 of 10883 Old 12-13-2018, 09:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2013 Post(s)
Liked: 1287
Quote:
Originally Posted by atbear View Post
This: https://forums.geforce.com/default/t...e-upgrade-7-2/

A lot of people's units don't work anymore, and some believe theirs is bricked. We'll see. I'm definitely not upgrading yet until they've got everything sorted out.

Yeah I read all that. It’s typically all over the place but the people that count say it’s ok. Having said that, I’m with you on waiting a few days to get a consensus. I was impressed that they did a lot of core Linux fixes such as SMB 3 that they’ve been promising plus a ton of other fixes, enhancements and improvements. Time will tell.

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 2-32GB 5th Gens | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2019 | Logitech Harmony Elite
post #9725 of 10883 Old 12-14-2018, 07:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 575 Post(s)
Liked: 339
Quote:
I saw the update waiting and went to the Nvidia Shield forum AVR didn’t see a lot of complaints, mostly nits. What major issues are you referring to?

I consider the Shield no longer working on the upper 5GHz Wifi channels a major issue. I am not going to compromise my entire network throughput by moving to a lower channel just to satisfy one streaming box.
post #9726 of 10883 Old 12-14-2018, 07:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD23 View Post
I consider the Shield no longer working on the upper 5GHz Wifi channels a major issue. I am not going to compromise my entire network throughput by moving to a lower channel just to satisfy one streaming box.

I read that too but I’m wired so it didn’t impact me. Also the mod said to move it to a different channel as a workaround. Not sure how or why that would impact throughput but if it’s an issue for you I agree it’s not worth the aggravation.

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 2-32GB 5th Gens | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2019 | Logitech Harmony Elite
post #9727 of 10883 Old 12-14-2018, 07:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 575 Post(s)
Liked: 339
Quote:
I read that too but I’m wired so it didn’t impact me. Also the mod said to move it to a different channel as a workaround. Not sure how or why that would impact throughput but if it’s an issue for you I agree it’s not worth the aggravation.

It will reduce throughput because the lower 5G channels are far more crowded in my neighborhood, whereas the upper channels, which Shield can no longer detect, are completely clear besides my network. To accomodate Shield, I would have to switch my router to a lower, more crowded channel and reduce the speeds of all devices connected to the 5GHz network. I understand why this is irrelevant for those who connect via ethernet, but it is a significant problem for Wifi users. I am definitely going to wait to update until this is fixed.
post #9728 of 10883 Old 12-14-2018, 08:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD23 View Post
It will reduce throughput because the lower 5G channels are far more crowded in my neighborhood, whereas the upper channels, which Shield can no longer detect, are completely clear besides my network. To accomodate Shield, I would have to switch my router to a lower, more crowded channel and reduce the speeds of all devices connected to the 5GHz network. I understand why this is irrelevant for those who connect via ethernet, but it is a significant problem for Wifi users. I am definitely going to wait to update until this is fixed.

Understood. In my neighborhood only the 2.4G WiFi signals are able to get from house to house as 5G are out of range so my only network contention is interval to my own 5G network. I agree with you, waiting makes sense.

Mike
post #9729 of 10883 Old 12-14-2018, 03:10 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Until today, I haven't had a chance to watch my TV while powered off for a long period of time since updating to the Oreo release, but I found that despite the fact that Sony claims they fixed the issue with the TV randomly turning receivers on and off while in standby, the issue isn't actually fixed.

Over the course of 8 hours, my Onkyo receiver turned on 3 times all by itself and turned off a minute later each time. That's not any different than how it behaved prior to the Oreo release.

Is this still an issue for other people?

Last edited by Morac; 12-14-2018 at 03:23 PM.
post #9730 of 10883 Old 12-14-2018, 03:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 2314 Post(s)
Liked: 2666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morac View Post
I found that despite the fact that Sony claims they fixed the issue with the TV randomly turning receivers on and off while in standby, the issue isn't actually fixed.

Is this still an issue for other people?
It seems to have fixed it for my 930E as I haven't seen the AVR connected it turn on since the update but it is still definitely happening on my Z9D.
post #9731 of 10883 Old 12-14-2018, 04:20 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I noticed people are switching xtended dynamic range off? I’m assuming this is for SDR content? A lot of sites mention to turn it on for normal viewing and to me it really makes the whites pop and blacks at times deeper though not as much as the whites.

Turning it off really makes the image look “SDRish”, although I’ve only tested it yesterday with games since I’ve always had it on for everything. Is there a reason to keep xtended range off? I don’t really notice it washing blacks but definitely turning it on shows more detail in say like snow areas?

Maybe for movies or shows it’s a completely different story?
post #9732 of 10883 Old 12-14-2018, 05:51 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Governor View Post
I noticed people are switching xtended dynamic range off? I’m assuming this is for SDR content? A lot of sites mention to turn it on for normal viewing and to me it really makes the whites pop and blacks at times deeper though not as much as the whites.
Turning it off really makes the image look “SDRish”, although I’ve only tested it yesterday with games since I’ve always had it on for everything. Is there a reason to keep xtended range off? I don’t really notice it washing blacks but definitely turning it on shows more detail in say like snow areas?
I think a lot of users run it at Low or Med. We've been running ours at Med for over a year and can't really imagine liking our PQ any more than we already do. Also, unlike many of the other picture settings, it doesn't seem to change when playing 4K UHD, HDR, or Live Football Mode, etc.
post #9733 of 10883 Old 12-14-2018, 05:54 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morac View Post
Until today, I haven't had a chance to watch my TV while powered off for a long period of time since updating to the Oreo release, but I found that despite the fact that Sony claims they fixed the issue with the TV randomly turning receivers on and off while in standby, the issue isn't actually fixed.
Over the course of 8 hours, my Onkyo receiver turned on 3 times all by itself and turned off a minute later each time. That's not any different than how it behaved prior to the Oreo release. Is this still an issue for other people?
Nothing has ever turned-on at our place while the tv is powered off.
post #9734 of 10883 Old 12-14-2018, 05:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutelight View Post
It seems to have fixed it for my 930E as I haven't seen the AVR connected it turn on since the update but it is still definitely happening on my Z9D.

I contacted Sony and they told me to do a power reset by disconnecting all cables from my TV for 2 minutes. I may try unplugging the TV for 2 minutes, but I can’t disconnect all the cables.
post #9735 of 10883 Old 12-15-2018, 04:03 AM

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Anyone having an issue with ip control power on/off since the update? Specifically Voice control. I am getting a response "I am having trouble with the provider." on Madam A and "unable to communicate at this time." from Gumby
* Disregard..I had to unlink all the TV's and disable the skill. Ran setup again and its good to go now...apologizes

Last edited by u8mycrackers; 12-15-2018 at 07:47 AM.
post #9736 of 10883 Old 12-15-2018, 06:14 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonmckee View Post
Just an update that 24 hours after my factory reset I'm having no issues other than the known bugs. Seems to have been an update bug only affecting a small number of users. No idea as to the cause, but a factory reset seems to be the cleanest fix.

Hint: Use your phone to take pictures of your settings BEFORE you do a factory reset. Makes resetting your Picture Adjustments a lot faster.

Leon McKee
I was watching MI: Fallout last night and kept thinking the image looked "processed" but per the reviews it is soft intentionally. Finally after the opening action i checked my TV. Turns out while i made sure my settings did not change after thd Oreo update this input defaulted to standard. I cannot believe how awful standard is!

Now i need to stop the sporadic no audio from apps. It has to be a setting since i still get android beeps but no audio from apps. I had it again last night and i fixed it with changing settings and no reboot required. It does not happen everytime I use the TV either so i cannot recreate it.

TV - Sony 65XBR-930e | Receiver - Yamaha RX-V577 | 4K player - Sony UBP-X700 | PS3 | Router - Asus RT-AC86U | SVS SB-2000 sub | Paradigm Monitor SE 6000F L/R | Paradigm Monitor SE 2000C center | Paradigm ADP-170 v.3 rears
post #9737 of 10883 Old 12-15-2018, 07:09 AM

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 34
How do you close running apps now in Oreo? I tried holding down the menu button but that method no longer works.
post #9738 of 10883 Old 12-15-2018, 08:33 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Kiler View Post
I was watching MI: Fallout last night and kept thinking the image looked "processed" but per the reviews it is soft intentionally. Finally after the opening action i checked my TV. Turns out while i made sure my settings did not change after thd Oreo update this input defaulted to standard. I cannot believe how awful standard is!
All of my inputs changed back to the default after the factory reset. Lots of fun resetting them all

Leon McKee

LR: XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB 5th Gen | UBP-X700 | URC MX-890 | SoundTouch 300 | Luminoodle Bias Lighting
MBR: KDL-65W850A | ATV4K-64GB 5th Gen | URC MX-890 | Luminoodle Bias Lighting
4K HDR/DV Chains: ATV4K/UBP-X700>3ft Monoprice Certified Premium Cables>65X930E
Computing, Truck & Communication Devices: Proud Apple Customer Since 1979
post #9739 of 10883 Old 12-15-2018, 09:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by u8mycrackers View Post
How do you close running apps now in Oreo? I tried holding down the menu button but that method no longer works.

The only way I’m aware of is to go to the apps screen, find the app you think is running and press and hold select. You can open the config screen for the app and then choose force stop.

There’s no way to get to the running apps screen with the remote, though I’ve read if you plug in a keyboard you can get to it using a keyboard shortcut.

What’s puzzling about the holding home shortcut change, is most of the time it doesn’t work when watching TV. I hold home down and nothing happens until I release it at which point I’m taking to the TV home screen. Holding home there does open the apps pop up. Going back to TV and holding home works as well, but not if I haven’t been in the menus for awhile. The Discover menu is more reliable.
post #9740 of 10883 Old 12-15-2018, 09:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Kiler View Post
Now i need to stop the sporadic no audio from apps. It has to be a setting since i still get android beeps but no audio from apps. I had it again last night and i fixed it with changing settings and no reboot required. It does not happen everytime I use the TV either so i cannot recreate it.
Yeah, this is the only significant issue I'm having after the update with my HDMI/ARC connection. This never happened, I mean never, before Oreo. It almost always happens when I go from watching TV to an app (Netflix or YouTube). Sometimes I still have Android sounds but not always. Sometimes turning the TV off/on restores audio, but mostly not. What always works is unplugging the set for a minute or so to force a reboot. A piece of this that's so strange is that when I'm not getting any audio my AVR front panel display reports that it's still receiving 5.1 sound from the TV.

BTW, I have cleared data from the BraviaSyncService and Bravia Sync Settings apps as someone in another forum suggested but this had no effect. Also my understanding from others' reported experiences is that a factory reset does not correct the problem.

Anyway, what settings did you change to fix the problem - and I assume this was a just temporary fix?

Thanks a lot.

TVs: Sony XBR65X930E (2017), v8.0.0 (6.6510) / Samsung UN50JU7100 (2015) w/ IA02 panel, sw v.1530.1
AVR: Yamaha RX-v581, sw v.2.65
Speakers 5.1.2: Polk Audio RM6750 (surround) + Pioneer SP-T22A-LR Atmos height
post #9741 of 10883 Old 12-15-2018, 04:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Governor View Post

What looks good to you is what matters... but yeah, having X-tended Dynamic Range off for SDR content is most accurate. Of course, it'll be on for HDR content.

post #9742 of 10883 Old 12-15-2018, 04:21 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
What looks good to you is what matters... but yeah, having X-tended Dynamic Range off for SDR content is most accurate. Of course, it'll be on for HDR content.
Is having x-tended dynamic range on for hdr a given? I have it off, and hdr is still hdr. I don't like the way xdr makes the brightest part in a scene max out the brightness of the display. A table lamp in one scene shouldn't be as bright as an explosion or some car headlights shining right at you in the next scene. At least IMHO
post #9743 of 10883 Old 12-15-2018, 04:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 2314 Post(s)
Liked: 2666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onward74 View Post
Quote:
Is having x-tended dynamic range on for hdr a given? I have it off, and hdr is still hdr. I don't like the way xdr makes the brightest part in a scene max out the brightness of the display. A table lamp in one scene shouldn't be as bright as an explosion or some car headlights shining right at you in the next scene. At least IMHO [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/IMG]
It is on by default and should remain on for proper accuracy to the source.
m_snow likes this.
post #9744 of 10883 Old 12-15-2018, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutelight View Post
It is on by default and should remain on for proper accuracy to the source.
Says who? Sony? To me it looks like xdr is additional processing done to the hdr signal, but finding any actual info other than marketing fluff on sonys jumbled web pages is hard. Would love to see a link
post #9745 of 10883 Old 12-15-2018, 04:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Is having x-tended dynamic range on for hdr a given? I have it off, and hdr is still hdr. I don't like the way xdr makes the brightest part in a scene max out the brightness of the display. A table lamp in one scene shouldn't be as bright as an explosion or some car headlights shining right at you in the next scene. At least IMHO
Yes, it needs to be on for full HDR.

post #9746 of 10883 Old 12-15-2018, 07:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mine is now having the issue where it won't turn on / off though IP Control 100% if the time on the first try after the update and reset. I'll keep playing with the settings, etc., but so far static IPs and Bravia Sync off hasn't remedied the problem 100%. Before the update / reset it worked perfectly. Haven't spoken to Harmony Support yet.

post #9747 of 10883 Old 12-16-2018, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Yes, it needs to be on for full HDR.
Again, says who? To me HDR content looks more natural and closer to the directors intent with XDR off, but if you have a link to anything that says you need to have xdr on to have "full" HDR I'd love to see it.
post #9748 of 10883 Old 12-16-2018, 04:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Again, says who? To me HDR content looks more natural and closer to the directors intent with XDR off, but if you have a link to anything that says you need to have xdr on to have "full" HDR I'd love to see it.
The specs of the TV. If you want the TV to perform as designed for HDR, X-tended Dynamic Range needs to be on.
Morac, leonmckee, gomo657 and 3 others like this.

post #9749 of 10883 Old 12-16-2018, 07:22 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by jev7266 View Post
Yeah, this is the only significant issue I'm having after the update with my HDMI/ARC connection. This never happened, I mean never, before Oreo. It almost always happens when I go from watching TV to an app (Netflix or YouTube). Sometimes I still have Android sounds but not always. Sometimes turning the TV off/on restores audio, but mostly not. What always works is unplugging the set for a minute or so to force a reboot. A piece of this that's so strange is that when I'm not getting any audio my AVR front panel display reports that it's still receiving 5.1 sound from the TV.

BTW, I have cleared data from the BraviaSyncService and Bravia Sync Settings apps as someone in another forum suggested but this had no effect. Also my understanding from others' reported experiences is that a factory reset does not correct the problem.

Anyway, what settings did you change to fix the problem - and I assume this was a just temporary fix?

Thanks a lot.
My Yamaha shows as analog when the audio stops. I had it again today so I have yet to fix it. I did get it to work today without a reboot and playing with settings and turning my receiver off then on again. I did turn off the TV but did NOT do a reboot. I will let you know if I find a fix. I am I under warranty so I should contact Sony for a fix. Despite this issue I still prefer Oreo.

TV - Sony 65XBR-930e | Receiver - Yamaha RX-V577 | 4K player - Sony UBP-X700 | PS3 | Router - Asus RT-AC86U | SVS SB-2000 sub | Paradigm Monitor SE 6000F L/R | Paradigm Monitor SE 2000C center | Paradigm ADP-170 v.3 rears
post #9750 of 10883 Old 12-16-2018, 08:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Mine is now having the issue where it won't turn on / off though IP Control 100% if the time on the first try after the update and reset. I'll keep playing with the settings, etc., but so far static IPs and Bravia Sync off hasn't remedied the problem 100%. Before the update / reset it worked perfectly. Haven't spoken to Harmony Support yet.
Harmony Support requested that I de-register the Harmony from the Sony's settings, then delete the Sony from the Harmony app before adding it back. I did that and am now testing. The first time after doing that it didn't turn off the TV, but it has done it every time since. I'll report back if it fails again.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
jimmyhigh; solzun; zachfeen; johnerz

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page