**OFFICIAL** 2017 SONY XBR-X930E (Owner's Thread)(No Price Talk) - Page 328 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 15233Likes

post #9811 of 10838 Old 12-20-2018, 04:53 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmax67 View Post
~ and yes I think Die Hard is a Christmas movie. Anyway just sharing. Happy Holidays !
I like your capacity for abstract thought. Die Hard was sho'nuff a Christmas movie! And if that ain't the consensus view with most fellas here, then hell, let's put it to a vote.
Madmax67 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9812 of 10838 Old 12-20-2018, 06:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmartinijr1 View Post
Anybody in NYC get their update yet? Still waiting here in Brooklyn.

Still not available in Texas either.
post #9813 of 10838 Old 12-21-2018, 01:09 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD23 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmartinijr1 View Post
Anybody in NYC get their update yet? Still waiting here in Brooklyn.

Still not available in Texas either.

Not sure why it’s taking so long to roll out, typically I can auto update a day or so after the release date yet I don’t think I’ve heard anyone actually getting the update through their TVs online update. I’m from So. Calif. and the updater is still a no go. I wonder if there having issues with it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9814 of 10838 Old 12-21-2018, 04:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Governor View Post

Not sure why it’s taking so long to roll out, typically I can auto update a day or so after the release date yet I don’t think I’ve heard anyone actually getting the update through their TVs online update. I’m from So. Calif. and the updater is still a no go. I wonder if there having issues with it?
still waiting for the update in NYC...
all other updates I received the same day it was released. All I had to do was turn on my TV and a message read there was a new update to install. So I always installed upon receiving this notice for all my SONY TV's (including all my SONY Blu Ray players) and never had a problem with installing over the Internet/wired connection. Every time it went smoothly/successfully.
But no update yet here in NYC yet.
From what I have been reading most owners are installing via the USB option.
From what I can tell most are not receiving this update any other way except via USB.
There seems to be a very few receiving an update notification upon turning on their TV's and updating OTA over the internet
post #9815 of 10838 Old 12-21-2018, 06:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by aflorida View Post
all other updates I received the same day it was released. All I had to do was turn on my TV and a message read there was a new update to install. So I always installed upon receiving this notice for all my SONY TV's (including all my SONY Blu Ray players) and never had a problem with installing over the Internet/wired connection. Every time it went smoothly/successfully.
From what I can tell most are not receiving this update any other way except via USB.
There seems to be a very few receiving an update notification upon turning on their TV's and updating OTA over the internet
It has been my impression since roughly week 2 of the update announcement and I'm surprised it has not been brought up by others - unless I missed it: This smells to me like a pretty ballsy beta test by Sony using those bold enough to do the USB update despite the indemnifying warnings they made clear with the release. As far as I am aware no one has received the update via auto update - only by proactive download and usb.

I can understand the strategy but if this is the case I do not approve of - and more to the point - I resent it. Putting customers out there as guinea pigs with no recourse if there is a failure is not the way to refine your R&D. The Dolby Vision update debacle should have been a learning moment, and maybe it was, but I don't think they got it. This is two "update" stinkers in rapid succession as I see it - or at least one and a half -since the latest must be done via USB. I like my 930e and I'm glad Sony made it. That is only as lasting however as the parent companies support/advancement. I hope I'm wrong but don't see anything so far to convince me or suggest Sony is interested in longetvity of products over 12 months old.
post #9816 of 10838 Old 12-21-2018, 07:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artzilla View Post
It has been my impression since roughly week 2 of the update announcement and I'm surprised it has not been brought up by others - unless I missed it: This smells to me like a pretty ballsy beta test by Sony using those bold enough to do the USB update despite the indemnifying warnings they made clear with the release. As far as I am aware no one has received the update via auto update - only by proactive download and usb.

I can understand the strategy but if this is the case I do not approve of - and more to the point - I resent it. Putting customers out there as guinea pigs with no recourse if there is a failure is not the way to refine your R&D. The Dolby Vision update debacle should have been a learning moment, and maybe it was, but I don't think they got it. This is two "update" stinkers in rapid succession as I see it - or at least one and a half -since the latest must be done via USB. I like my 930e and I'm glad Sony made it. That is only as lasting however as the parent companies support/advancement. I hope I'm wrong but don't see anything so far to convince me or suggest Sony is interested in longetvity of products over 12 months old.
I, and many others, received the update notice online from our TVs the day it was released. Not sure what's taking so long elsewhere...

Also, the update is working just fine and is a HUGE improvement from the previous version and the original version that came with the TV when I bought it.

Sony XBR-65X930E | NVIDIA SHIELD TV | Apple TV 4K | Samsung BD-P1600
Yamaha TSR-7810 | Energy C-100 / Energy C-C100 / Energy S10.3 / Polk RC60i
Logitech Harmony 950 / Smart Control w/ Harmony Hub
post #9817 of 10838 Old 12-21-2018, 07:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quick update on the Harmony customer service discussions. After trying all the troubleshooting steps that were suggested, it's still not working but about 50% of the time turning the TV off on shutdown through IP Control. I told them that others on this thread were having similar issues, so they asked for the link to this thread. They'll read through and escalate it to their engineering team to develop a fix for the issue. They've been responsive and eager to help from the start.
njfoses and Madmax67 like this.

post #9818 of 10838 Old 12-21-2018, 07:54 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by atbear View Post
Quick update on the Harmony customer service discussions. After trying all the troubleshooting steps that were suggested, it's still not working but about 50% of the time turning the TV off on shutdown through IP Control. I told them that others on this thread were having similar issues, so they asked for the link to this thread. They'll read through and escalate it to their engineering team to develop a fix for the issue. They've been responsive and eager to help from the start.

I’m not sure if it’s actually a problem on Harmony’s end or Sony broke something in their firmware since the problem started after the Oreo update. Either way I’m hoping Harmony and Sony can work together to fix it or Harmony can work around it somehow by sending the commands twice or something.

For me after a pretty lousy start of both turning on and off fairly to work a majority of the time, I’m now seeing turning the TV on work roughly 80 to 90% of the time. Turning off works maybe 70% of the time.

The initial problem I was also frequently seeing where both the TV speakers and my receiver’s speakers would turn on (which should never happen), now only happens rarely.
post #9819 of 10838 Old 12-21-2018, 08:48 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Long Island, NY here..I got the update the day it was released. Upgraded through ethernet connection, so far so good...
Maddog56 likes this.
post #9820 of 10838 Old 12-22-2018, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apav554 View Post
Quote:
Long Island, NY here..I got the update the day it was released. Upgraded through ethernet connection, so far so good...
It sounds like people who got it via auto update got it only on release day. It’s almost as if Sony took it down right after because no one has got it online since, especially from people from NY got it the day of and then nothing. I know I didn’t try release day but I did a day or so after and have been trying every day or so since And it’s still a no go for me. I’m from Cali though.

Very strange.
post #9821 of 10838 Old 12-22-2018, 04:09 AM

Quote:
I, and many others, received the update notice online from our TVs the day it was released. Not sure what's taking so long elsewhere...

Also, the update is working just fine and is a HUGE improvement from the previous version and the original version that came with the TV when I bought it.
Thanks for the correction Atbear. Perhaps I should temper my posts after a rough day when indulging in a little self medication. I had forgotten that some received the update as they are usually delivered which is why many including myself have turned off auto update.

It is great that Sony is continuing to upgrade the unit but while you and many have received the update and employed it without issue, it seems a good number have hit some bumps - particularly the need for factory resets. Most of us engaged enough to be on this forum would gladly suffer that inconvenience for performance improvements. Had I been more on point I would have stated it more like The Governor. I was a little hard on Sony in my previous post but after the X700 HDMI-less Dolby vision update and this update apparently having been pulled after some had issues (absolutely the right thing to do), it seems 2 of Sony's recent updates have been released before they were ready for prime time and more internal testing might be in order before rollout.
post #9822 of 10838 Old 12-22-2018, 06:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 1889 Post(s)
Liked: 1196
Quote:
Thanks for the correction Atbear. Perhaps I should temper my posts after a rough day when indulging in a little self medication. I had forgotten that some received the update as they are usually delivered which is why many including myself have turned off auto update.

It is great that Sony is continuing to upgrade the unit but while you and many have received the update and employed it without issue, it seems a good number have hit some bumps - particularly the need for factory resets. Most of us engaged enough to be on this forum would gladly suffer that inconvenience for performance improvements. Had I been more on point I would have stated it more like The Governor. I was a little hard on Sony in my previous post but after the X700 HDMI-less Dolby vision update and this update apparently having been pulled after some had issues (absolutely the right thing to do), it seems 2 of Sony's recent updates have been released before they were ready for prime time and more internal testing might be in order before rollout.

I don’t think it was pulled. It’s a significant update and it makes sense to go slow to mitigate risk. Besides, you can always download it from Sony’s site and install via USB which, I suspect, the more adventurous of us did. If they had pulled it we wouldn’t be able to download it. I’m happy I did.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
mgh26 likes this.

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 2-32GB 5th Gens | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2019 | Logitech Harmony Elite
post #9823 of 10838 Old 12-22-2018, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_snow View Post
I don’t think it was pulled. It’s a significant update and it makes sense to go slow to mitigate risk. Besides, you can always download it from Sony’s site and install via USB which, I suspect, the more adventurous of us did. If they had pulled it we wouldn’t be able to download it. I’m happy I did.

Perhaps you are right. There seems to be little more we can do than speculate. I normally get the update within a few days of it's release. A poll might help but hardly seems worth the effort. For now I am erring on the side of caution in case it was pulled and is being tweaked to hopefully eliminate the need for factory resets, the random power on some are experiencing etc.
post #9824 of 10838 Old 12-22-2018, 06:33 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:

I'm just wondering if perhaps Sony has realized all the problems that some users are having with the update, through calls to them, or who knows, maybe they read this forum, and has slowed down the rolling out the update to the rest of the country. Sound feasible?
post #9825 of 10838 Old 12-22-2018, 06:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Perhaps you are right. There seems to be little more we can do than speculate. I normally get the update within a few days of it's release. A poll might help but hardly seems worth the effort. For now I am erring on the side of caution in case it was pulled and is being tweaked to hopefully eliminate the need for factory resets, the random power on some are experiencing etc.

Agree, do what you are comfortable with. I do think the posts about needing to factory reset due to dark pictures were overblown. I know I didn’t have to and the few that did may have had some confirmation bias that it actuality made it better. . The power off/on issues are concerning but I don’t know how widespread it is. I’m not having issues like that. I have one issue and that’s the YouTube 4K HDR not changing to the correct color space problem which I can work around.

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 2-32GB 5th Gens | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2019 | Logitech Harmony Elite
post #9826 of 10838 Old 12-22-2018, 06:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gant1080 View Post
I'm just wondering if perhaps Sony has realized all the problems that some users are having with the update, through calls to them, or who knows, maybe they read this forum, and has slowed down the rolling out the update to the rest of the country. Sound feasible?

If there was a serious problem with the update they would pull it for everyone.

Mike
post #9827 of 10838 Old 12-22-2018, 10:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

There’s nothing unusual about this update. It’s always taken at least a month to roll out to all customers. I would expect it will be available to all as an update by the first or second week of January.
post #9828 of 10838 Old 12-22-2018, 10:44 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
If there was a serious problem with the update they would pull it for everyone.

Agreed. Seriousness is a matter of degrees and I haven't seen any reports of bricked sets or unrecoverable problems. This has made me take a step back and look beyond yesterday's post ringing of entitlement: "I want my update and I want it now...and perfect".

The current pace of changes/advancements in this hobby is amazing by comparison to even 10 years ago. The complexity of integrating so many functions, services and technologies into what used to be a tv or monitor (not to mention the upstream gear) and the general success of them most of the time is astounding. I used to wish I had been born earlier so I could have lived through the creation of 50's-70's music, stereo sound etc, but recent tech innovations have me happy being born precisely when I was. Update or not I'm going to sit down, shut up, and enjoy some some of that tech. And maybe a little more of yesterday's medicine.
leonmckee, Modicen and m_snow like this.
post #9829 of 10838 Old 12-22-2018, 12:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
It sounds like people who got it via auto update got it only on release day. It’s almost as if Sony took it down right after because no one has got it online since, especially from people from NY got it the day of and then nothing. I know I didn’t try release day but I did a day or so after and have been trying every day or so since And it’s still a no go for me. I’m from Cali though.

Very strange.
I did it about 4-5 days after release. I always read first reports on an update before going forward with it. No idea how much longer it would have remained available, or if it would have been / has been taken down at all.

post #9830 of 10838 Old 12-22-2018, 01:03 PM
Advanced Member

I found another bug with the new release related to “auto” modem. Auto mode doesn’t work unless I turn it off and on again. For example if I launch a game on my PS4 on HDMI 4 it will stay on Custom mode (or whatever the default mode is) until I turn auto (or auto 24) off and back on again. That completely defeats the purpose of having an auto mode. Since going to the Home screen now switches away from the HDMI input, going back to the PS4 HDMI input reverts back to Custom. Basically auto mode is broken.

On a side note, any time I email Sony support, they never respond at all. They used to get back to me, now they don’t.
post #9831 of 10838 Old 12-22-2018, 03:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 2293 Post(s)
Liked: 2604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morac View Post
Speaking of Harmony Hub, they released a firmware update last week which broke some devices that weren’t officially supported anyway.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018...y-hub-systems/

This doesn’t affect controlling the TV or the TV’s Harmony skill app.
https://www.theverge.com/2018/12/21/...ome-automation
m_snow likes this.
post #9832 of 10838 Old 12-22-2018, 04:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Agree, do what you are comfortable with. I do think the posts about needing to factory reset due to dark pictures were overblown. I know I didn’t have to and the few that did may have had some confirmation bias that it actuality made it better. . The power off/on issues are concerning but I don’t know how widespread it is. I’m not having issues like that. I have one issue and that’s the YouTube 4K HDR not changing to the correct color space problem which I can work around.

So today after noticing that my contrast setting is not affected when HDR-10 is detected on any video source from disc to apps, I bit the bullet & did a full factory reset........ I know the U-Tube 4K HDR settings do not auto switch correctly but I thought I remembered my Netflix & X-800 HDR media asjusted the Brightness, Contrast, & X-tended Dynamic Range during HDR that went back to the SDR settings after ending the HDR material. Is my memory going bad or is this a new bug that is not changing the Contrast setting to MAX as it does with the Brightness setting and the X-tended Dynamic Range settings. After all this work re-entering all of my calibration & other information along with reinstalling my desired Apps like the VEWD Web Browser, I have the same results. If my memory is just plain weak, oh well, I really wanted to do this reset anyways since so many previous updates were completed with resetting. My old Samsung F-7100 screwed up on almost every update & established my habit of just resetting prior to updating. Sony has been MUCH better at not needing this but not perfect either as others have seen. Does the Contrast setting max out automatically with HDR content like the Brightness and the X-tended Dynamic Range is the real question? And................ Happy Holidays to All!!!!! Now back to the other settings I still need to re-program

Last edited by mgh26; 12-22-2018 at 04:21 PM.
post #9833 of 10838 Old 12-22-2018, 06:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
There have been two times recently where the TV doesn't turn on at startup of an Activity. So, I'd say 90% of the time the TV starts up fine when launching an Activity and 50% of the time it turns off when shutting down an Activity.
WinMod21 likes this.

post #9834 of 10838 Old 12-23-2018, 02:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morac View Post
I found another bug with the new release related to “auto” modem. Auto mode doesn’t work unless I turn it off and on again. For example if I launch a game on my PS4 on HDMI 4 it will stay on Custom mode (or whatever the default mode is) until I turn auto (or auto 24) off and back on again. That completely defeats the purpose of having an auto mode. Since going to the Home screen now switches away from the HDMI input, going back to the PS4 HDMI input reverts back to Custom. Basically auto mode is broken.

On a side note, any time I email Sony support, they never respond at all. They used to get back to me, now they don’t.

So I tried doing a factory reset, but that made no difference.

I do remember I recently hooked up a PS VR, which is basically a HDMI splitter box that sits between the PS4 and the TV. I don’t know if that is the issue or the Oreo update, but the fact that toggling Auto Picture mode (APM) off and on gets the TV to properly detect the mode indicates a bug. For now since I have to toggle the auto picture mode settings anyway, I set the default mode to Game and then enabled auto picture mode to “auto (24 fps)”, but I feel that won’t work when playing Blu-Rays and I’ll have to manually change it. That’s really annoying since toggling APM off and on when not in a game, the mode correctly stays in the default, while when in a game it switches to Game mode. Now I have to do that all manually.

I also tested my Apple TV which fakes a bit better in that it does seem to automatically select the picture mode when switching HDMI inputs, though it does not automatically switch when outputing a 24 fps video (tested with Netflix’s 24 fps test video) without me toggling Auto Picture mode off and on, so again not working correctly.

Is anyone else having issues with auto picture mode after the update?
post #9835 of 10838 Old 12-23-2018, 11:11 AM

Mgh26 - As far as I’m aware the contrast setting never changes with HDR and normal. Even on the previous versions (because I also found it to be weird). Only brightness and dynamic range are the only 2 settings that save and change when you switch from HDR and back from what I remember.
post #9836 of 10838 Old 12-23-2018, 01:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Mgh26 - As far as I’m aware the contrast setting never changes with HDR and normal. Even on the previous versions (because I also found it to be weird). Only brightness and dynamic range are the only 2 settings that save and change when you switch from HDR and back from what I remember.
Well thanks for the responce... I guess my memory is getting a bit weak. After doing the Factory reset, I thought this may be the case but I'm really glad I have finished up all of the reprogramming needed. I also hope Sony gets us a new update ASAP to correct the minor issues created with the Oreo update. For anybody that has NOT updated as of yet, maybe you should just wait this one out if you don't want to deal with these slight issues that come with this update. I do like the crisper image with my 1080i Cable STB with this version though. The other thing is that U-Tube now does support HDR with our Sonys and this new UI is faster to respond but still not perfect due to other suspected bugs I have experienced very intermitently. Sony could have done better with their testing prior to this release. It could have been worse though. One last thing I want to mention... During the factory update, when the TV finished up and re-booted, I got a very LONG period of time where all I saw was several large colored Circles rotating on the screen prior to the final Andriod LOGO displaying normally and then going into the TV setup screens. I REALLY thought my TV Bricked while all of this was going on. I have NEVER seen this color circles on any previous update for this TV. I think they are displayed during the firmware sequence of clearing out all information as I choose to do a full reset looseing all of my saved info including my network. This is just a guess though...
post #9837 of 10838 Old 12-24-2018, 12:15 AM

I haven’t updated yet (mostly because I only do online and it hasn’t rolled out for me) but now I’m having second thoughts. I run an Apple 4k for all my streaming and mostly plays console games so the snappier interface and menu everyone is mentioning would be nice when I go to change something.

So I’m not sure all these little bugs will affect me if they do exist? Hmm what to do...
post #9838 of 10838 Old 12-24-2018, 12:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I haven’t updated yet (mostly because I only do online and it hasn’t rolled out for me) but now I’m having second thoughts. I run an Apple 4k for all my streaming and mostly plays console games so the snappier interface and menu everyone is mentioning would be nice when I go to change something.

So I’m not sure all these little bugs will affect me if they do exist? Hmm what to do...

Most of the bugs are more annoyances than actual problems as most if not all have work arounds. If you don’t use the TV to play usb or network 5.1 audio files you should be fine.

I haven’t found the update to negatively impact the Apple TV or console gaming, other than not automatically switching to Game mode reliably which I’ve worked around by setting it manually.
post #9839 of 10838 Old 12-24-2018, 09:37 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Netflix Issue

Has anyone seen this issue before?

Recently when using the internal Netflix app, the Netflix red logo shows up, but the circle below it just keeps spinning and will never open. What I have to do is got to Settings/Apps, scroll all the way down to Netflix and do a Force Stop and then I can open it, however it's a pain because then it makes you log back in with User ID and PW. As long as you leave the TV on, it works fine, but the next day it repeats the same thing. I don't think it's my account because Netflix works on other devices in the house. Thanks
post #9840 of 10838 Old 12-24-2018, 10:24 AM
Advanced Member

**OFFICIAL** 2017 SONY XBR-X930E (Owner's Thread)(No Price Talk)

Quote:
Has anyone seen this issue before?

Recently when using the internal Netflix app, the Netflix red logo shows up, but the circle below it just keeps spinning and will never open. What I have to do is got to Settings/Apps, scroll all the way down to Netflix and do a Force Stop and then I can open it, however it's a pain because then it makes you log back in with User ID and PW. As long as you leave the TV on, it works fine, but the next day it repeats the same thing. I don't think it's my account because Netflix works on other devices in the house. Thanks

I haven’t seen that, but you can try clearing the cache and data for Netflix. That tends to fix random issues with apps that just pop up.

On a side note, there’s an easier way to get to the force stop option for an app if you are using the Oreo update. Go to the Apps menu (hold down home), go over the app and hold down select. Then choose info in the menu that pops up. You can also clear cache from there.

On the Nougat software you can just hold down home and kill the app that way.

Last edited by Morac; 12-24-2018 at 10:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
jimmyhigh; solzun; zachfeen; johnerz

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page