**OFFICIAL** 2017 SONY XBR-X930E (Owner's Thread)(No Price Talk) - Page 334 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 15250Likes

post #9991 of 10983 Old 01-15-2019, 06:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana627 View Post
What does holding the Home button do?
Holding it down for about 5 seconds or so will bring up which applications are running (bit like an apple device). You can than use the down arrow to highlight the X underneath to close the application. Better than rebooting the whole TV. Unless you have updated to Oreo than I don't know what the procedure is the update has not hit my region (Australia).
Paul in Maryland likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9992 of 10983 Old 01-15-2019, 08:10 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Is there any way to see what resolution AND refresh rate the 65X930E is using at any given time? I'm trying to troubleshoot a problem with an AppleTV 4k, where I don't think the AppleTV is switching the TV to 24Hz when it's supposed to (yes, frame rate matching is enabled on the aTV). Pressing 'Display' on the TV's remote only shows me the resolution, at least for 4k content. How can I tell if the TV is actually switching to 4k 24Hz?
post #9993 of 10983 Old 01-15-2019, 09:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenegg View Post
Is there any way to see what resolution AND refresh rate the 65X930E is using at any given time? I'm trying to troubleshoot a problem with an AppleTV 4k, where I don't think the AppleTV is switching the TV to 24Hz when it's supposed to (yes, frame rate matching is enabled on the aTV). Pressing 'Display' on the TV's remote only shows me the resolution, at least for 4k content. How can I tell if the TV is actually switching to 4k 24Hz?

For 4K I don’t think there is any way to tell. For 1080p it will show 24, but not for 4K.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9994 of 10983 Old 01-15-2019, 10:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knownasgyates11 View Post
Holding it down for about 5 seconds or so will bring up which applications are running (bit like an apple device). You can than use the down arrow to highlight the X underneath to close the application. Better than rebooting the whole TV. Unless you have updated to Oreo than I don't know what the procedure is the update has not hit my region (Australia).
There is currently no way to close open apps on Oreo on these sets unless you manually force close them. Holding it down now brings up a list of downloaded or installed apps.

It’s weird because on my shield with Oreo if you hit the back button quick twice it will bring up the open apps like before.

I’ve tried everything on 930 remote but nothing works
post #9995 of 10983 Old 01-16-2019, 04:34 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have some questions about the latest firmware update.
I've tried all my USB's and my tv says "System software cannot be updated using thus USB device"
I've done a reboot and factory reset, as well as tried using fat32 and exfat multiple times.
Also, with oreo (if that's the firmware i'm gonna get) does it come with atmos or trueHD 7.1+atmos support at all?
And last but not least, is it worth upgrading?
post #9996 of 10983 Old 01-16-2019, 04:53 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Cronstedt View Post
I have some questions about the latest firmware update.
I've tried all my USB's and my tv says "System software cannot be updated using thus USB device"
I've done a reboot and factory reset, as well as tried using fat32 and exfat multiple times.
Also, with oreo (if that's the firmware i'm gonna get) does it come with atmos or trueHD 7.1+atmos support at all?
And last but not least, is it worth upgrading?
Nevermind I just realized it hasn't rolled out in Europe just yet. Anyways how long does it usually take until Europe gets the firmware updates? Nougat is the worst.
post #9997 of 10983 Old 01-16-2019, 05:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 2359 Post(s)
Liked: 2733
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenegg View Post
As Morac mentioned, you can only see if it is 24Hz with a 1080p signal. To be able to tell with 4K you'd need to have an AVR that sees the signal or enable the developer HUD on the Apple TV via Xcode.

Apps on the Apple TV must respect the dynamic range and frame rate matching flags and not all do.

I have put together this spreadsheet of the apps I and others have tested. If you don't see an app there, I can test one out for you.
post #9998 of 10983 Old 01-16-2019, 09:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knownasgyates11 View Post
Thanks!

Mark

"We named the dog Indiana."
Directv since '03
post #9999 of 10983 Old 01-17-2019, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 18
To all of the who already made the update to Android Oreo: is it still possible to use a active subwoofer in combination with the build in TV speakers via headphone input? Could you please have a look if you find the menu item: Home > Settings > Audio > Headphones > Subwoofer.

The late 2018 models under oreo doesen't have it anymore....

Thank you very much

Last edited by Shaoran; 01-17-2019 at 03:35 PM.
post #10000 of 10983 Old 01-17-2019, 02:37 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaoran View Post
To all of the who already made the update to Android Oreo: is it still possible to use a active subwoofer in combination with the build in TV speakers via headphone input? Could you please have a look if you find the menu item: Home > Settings > Audio > Headphones > Subwoofer.

The late 2018 models under oreo doesent have it anymore....

Thank you very mch
Yeah, it’s there under: Home - Settings - Sound - Headphone/Audio out

You then have 4 choices:
Headphone
Audio out (Fixed)
Audio out (Variable)
Subwoofer
post #10001 of 10983 Old 01-17-2019, 03:39 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Thank you very much
post #10002 of 10983 Old 01-18-2019, 06:23 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Wow! 10,000 posts. Amazing!
post #10003 of 10983 Old 01-18-2019, 01:18 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Lot of great info in this thread, close to pulling the trigger on getting a 65" of this model, found one on amazon certified refurbished with 4 year warranty through square trade for $1400 including shipping
BrianPK likes this.
post #10004 of 10983 Old 01-19-2019, 08:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshBaskinRobins View Post
Lot of great info in this thread, close to pulling the trigger on getting a 65" of this model, found one on amazon certified refurbished with 4 year warranty through square trade for $1400 including shipping
That’s an excellent deal for an excellent TV’
post #10005 of 10983 Old 01-19-2019, 08:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 129
I got my 55" from the AAFES Exchange online for $1,000, no tax, free shipping. Thats for military or ex-military for those who don't know.
post #10006 of 10983 Old 01-21-2019, 01:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by jev7266 View Post
Let me say up-front that if your issue is exclusively related to controlling the set with your Harmony Hub then I can't be certain you're having the same problems that I am. Also, my tv shares an ARC connection with my receiver which has fully up-to-date HDMI firmware. If you're using an optical-audio connection then we're talking apples and oranges.

In my tv's sound settings "Audio System" mode is selected yet Oreo introduced a couple of new issues with sound that I had never experienced under the previous OS. First, like you, I've had to deal with the set's "mind-of-its-own" when controlling sound output. When powering on the set, which should exclusively use the audio system, it sometimes switches to internal speakers. I always make sure that the receiver is fully started so that it and the tv can complete the HDMI handshake process. Again, this switching to internal speakers never happened prior to Oreo.

Second, when switching from watching TV to using any internal apps (e.g., Netflix, YouTube, MX Player, Spotify) almost 100% of the time I get no sound through my audio system. The only way to hear audio is to switch the tv to internal speakers. It's important to emphasize that when watching TV, which does not use the ARC system because the cable box sends audio directly to the receiver, this problem does not occur. So this only happens when the TV is supposed to send audio from internal apps via ARC to the receiver. Sometimes rebooting the set will restore audio through the receiver but mostly not. Rebooting the receiver has never restored sound.

My conclusion is that these problem were introduced by Oreo and that it's the result of faults in the ARC programming. I posted these issues on the Sony Community Televisions forum and received some guidance from one of the moderators who referred me to a rash of Sony suggested fixes for various audio issues. You may find one or more of these helpful to solving your issue. For me one in particular suggests clearing the data and cache of the tv's System app "External Input Services." I assume this has something to do with ARC because after doing this I can more consistently (90% of the time) switch from TV to internal apps and continue to hear audio through my receiver. I've also noted about a 95% reduction of instances of the TV autonomously switching to its internal speakers on startup.

I hope this is of at least some help. I think we're all waiting for Sony to issue updates that will correct some of the problems introduced with Oreo.

One other small item. After the Oreo update I noticed that the setting (while in an internal app) Action Menu -> Sound adjustments -> Advanced Settings -> Common -> Digital audio out volume somehow got set to Off or Minimum. Anyone who has updated and is having loss of audio in apps might want to check this setting and move that slider toward, if not all the way to, "MAX."
I believe i fixed the second problem of no audio from HDMI ARC. I had the same issues and called tech support since i am under warranty. He took remote control of my set (which i did not realize was possible but is cool). He had me disconnect all HDMI connections to the TV and went into the bravia sync list (under external inputs) and turned off bravia sync. Then we connected my receiver and enabled Bravia sync (my yamaha v577 is not on the sony list but is shown on the TV sync list). Then we connected my UBP-X700 player and checked the list again. i then turned off the TV for one minute and turned it on and audio worked the first time. Yamaha shows the format as analog when it does not work and PCM when it does work. he said the bravia sync list needed to be cleared. Try it out and i hope you can get it working, let us know!

TV - Sony 65XBR-930e | Receiver - Yamaha RX-V577 | 4K player - Sony UBP-X700 | PS3 | Router - Asus RT-AC86U | SVS SB-2000 sub | Paradigm Monitor SE 6000F L/R | Paradigm Monitor SE 2000C center | Paradigm ADP-170 v.3 rears
post #10007 of 10983 Old 01-21-2019, 04:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Kiler View Post
I believe i fixed the second problem of no audio from HDMI ARC. I had the same issues and called tech support since i am under warranty. He took remote control of my set (which i did not realize was possible but is cool). He had me disconnect all HDMI connections to the TV and went into the bravia sync list (under external inputs) and turned off bravia sync. Then we connected my receiver and enabled Bravia sync (my yamaha v577 is not on the sony list but is shown on the TV sync list). Then we connected my UBP-X700 player and checked the list again. i then turned off the TV for one minute and turned it on and audio worked the first time. Yamaha shows the format as analog when it does not work and PCM when it does work. he said the bravia sync list needed to be cleared. Try it out and i hope you can get it working, let us know!

Does turning off sync clear the list?

At this point I’ve cleared the external inputs cache and data, but about half the time the TV does not recognize that it is connected to a receiver when I turn the TV on and sets the sound output to its own internal speakers. The result is that sound comes out of both the TV and my receiver. I have to then switch the TV to my receiver via the menus which works.

If I switch the audio back to TV, my receiver stops outputting audio so the problem appears to be that the TV and receiver aren’t talking to each other properly when the TV is turned on which is odd since the TV will turn the receiver on, so that works.
post #10008 of 10983 Old 01-21-2019, 06:37 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Brooklyn here....no ota update yet.......anybody else?
post #10009 of 10983 Old 01-21-2019, 06:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morac View Post
Does turning off sync clear the list?

At this point I’ve cleared the external inputs cache and data, but about half the time the TV does not recognize that it is connected to a receiver when I turn the TV on and sets the sound output to its own internal speakers. The result is that sound comes out of both the TV and my receiver. I have to then switch the TV to my receiver via the menus which works.

If I switch the audio back to TV, my receiver stops outputting audio so the problem appears to be that the TV and receiver aren’t talking to each other properly when the TV is turned on which is odd since the TV will turn the receiver on, so that works.
I spoke too soon, it worked at first but now I am back to nobsudio until I turn my tv off and on a second time. I will have to call support again.

TV - Sony 65XBR-930e | Receiver - Yamaha RX-V577 | 4K player - Sony UBP-X700 | PS3 | Router - Asus RT-AC86U | SVS SB-2000 sub | Paradigm Monitor SE 6000F L/R | Paradigm Monitor SE 2000C center | Paradigm ADP-170 v.3 rears
post #10010 of 10983 Old 01-21-2019, 08:30 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
I hope you’ve pulled that trigger...fabulous pic.quality
I’ve had mine for 14 months.Best tv I’ve ever seen.
post #10011 of 10983 Old 01-21-2019, 10:49 PM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Kiler View Post
I believe i fixed the second problem of no audio from HDMI ARC.
I stepped through the process you described three times without success.

I disconnected the HDMI(ARC) cable from the set and turned off Bravia Sync. I checked the Bravia Sync device list to confirm it was empty. I reattached the HDMI(ARC) cable to the set, turned Bravia Sync back on and "enabled" my receiver on the Bravia Sync device list page. I then turned off the set for a few minutes, powered it on again with the TV button on the remote so the set is receiving video input from my cable box via HDMI(ARC) and audio is being sent from the cable box directly to the receiver. This all works fine.

I then hit the "Home" button on the remote, opened Netflix and got no audio. The same thing happens if I simply use the Netflix button on the remote. The input to the receiver gets correctly set to "Sony Home," which is the receiver's HDMI (ARC) port. When switching from watching cable to using one of the set's apps, audio simply does not play through the receiver. However, if I have the set on the Home screen or in one of the set's apps when I power it down, turning it on again it goes to the Home screen or directly to the app that was active and I do get audio through my receiver. I can open and close apps all day and audio through the receiver works perfectly. So, audio to the receiver via HDMI(ARC) isn't completely broken -- it's only when switching from watching cable to using the set's apps that audio via HDMI(ARC) fails.

Finally, I cleared data/cache of the two BraviaSync System Apps (Bravia Sync Settings and BraviaSyncService), rebooted the set and worked through the steps again but this also did not correct the problem. It's so strange because our receivers are so closely related that you'd think the same approach would work with my setup. And maybe it should but I'm missing a step or something. Anyway, I'll have to get Sony on the phone and have them do a remote connection like they did with you to see if they can come up with a solution.

I appreciate your trying to help, Jim, and glad your setup is working well. Thanks a lot.

TVs: Sony XBR65X930E (2017), v8.0.0 (6.6510) / Samsung UN50JU7100 (2015) w/ IA02 panel, sw v.1530.1
AVR: Yamaha RX-v581, sw v.2.65
Speakers 5.1.2: Polk Audio RM6750 (surround) + Pioneer SP-T22A-LR Atmos height
post #10012 of 10983 Old 01-22-2019, 12:22 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 6
post #10013 of 10983 Old 01-22-2019, 06:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsFan78 View Post
[/QUOTE]

It does not fix my external audio issue. I still have to turn off the TV and turn it back on in order to get ARC over HDMI since the Oreo upgrade.

Last edited by Jim Kiler; 01-22-2019 at 06:42 AM. Reason: changed me to my
post #10014 of 10983 Old 01-22-2019, 08:35 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Have any of you guys seen an issue with a "CSP audio device" wanting to connect over bluetooth? I just click cancel every time. It may be related to someone in my apartment pairing to the wrong device but i've also heard of "phantom" bluetooth devices trying to connect. Not a huge deal, but more of an annoyance and seeing if anyone here has seen it happen as well
post #10015 of 10983 Old 01-22-2019, 09:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked: 1421
Quote:
[/QUOTE]

Doesn’t fix the YouTube color space issue as far as I can tell and it doesn’t fix Vudu from stopping play when you go to Picture Settings. I guess those will have to be fixed by Google and Vudu themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 2-32GB 5th Gens | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2019 | Logitech Harmony Elite
post #10016 of 10983 Old 01-22-2019, 11:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
[/QUOTE]

Looks like Sony fixed the brightness problem which required a factory reset to fix. I guess that helps people who never got the Opus update, but those who did likely factory reset.

Other than that it likely doesn’t do much. I’ll have to test the 5 bugs I’ve listed previously to see if they are fixed.

Lately my biggest issue is the TV outputting audio at the same time as my receiver.
post #10017 of 10983 Old 01-22-2019, 12:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jev7266 View Post
I then hit the "Home" button on the remote, opened Netflix and got no audio. The same thing happens if I simply use the Netflix button on the remote. The input to the receiver gets correctly set to "Sony Home," which is the receiver's HDMI (ARC) port. When switching from watching cable to using one of the set's apps, audio simply does not play through the receiver. However, if I have the set on the Home screen or in one of the set's apps when I power it down, turning it on again it goes to the Home screen or directly to the app that was active and I do get audio through my receiver. I can open and close apps all day and audio through the receiver works perfectly. So, audio to the receiver via HDMI(ARC) isn't completely broken -- it's only when switching from watching cable to using the set's apps that audio via HDMI(ARC) fails.
I had almost the exact same issue as you're describing (no sound on Netflix). My 930e is synced via ARC to my Sony STR-ZA1100ES receiver. I've had both for about a month and supplied all new Monoprice Certified Premium HDMI cables. After being frustrated and trying numerous things and settings, I found out it was my HDMI ARC cable where I was losing sound. As soon as I switched the cable, all was well. Something to think about.
post #10018 of 10983 Old 01-22-2019, 01:29 PM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfdaxe View Post
After being frustrated and trying numerous things and settings, I found out it was my HDMI ARC cable where I was losing sound. As soon as I switched the cable, all was well. Something to think about.
Audio over HDMI(ARC) works fine if the set powers on into the Home screen. It's only when switching from watching cable tv to using the set's internal apps that I lose audio to the receiver. So I don't think it's the HDMI(ARC) cable. If the cable was inadequate or faulty I assume it wouldn't work at all. And, prior to installing Oreo everything worked as it should.
Jim Kiler likes this.

TVs: Sony XBR65X930E (2017), v8.0.0 (6.6510) / Samsung UN50JU7100 (2015) w/ IA02 panel, sw v.1530.1
AVR: Yamaha RX-v581, sw v.2.65
Speakers 5.1.2: Polk Audio RM6750 (surround) + Pioneer SP-T22A-LR Atmos height
post #10019 of 10983 Old 01-22-2019, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianPK View Post
I hope you’ve pulled that trigger...fabulous pic.quality
I’ve had mine for 14 months.Best tv I’ve ever seen.

I did. I ordered a Certified Refurbished 65" off of Amazon with 4 years of Square Trade Warranty. I should get it by next week
BrianPK likes this.
post #10020 of 10983 Old 01-22-2019, 02:49 PM

Quote:
I did. I ordered a Certified Refurbished 65" off of Amazon with 4 years of Square Trade Warranty. I should get it by next week
I actually almost bought a Sony XBR 900F, the display model at best buy was impressive.

Brand new @ Best Buy the 900F was $1750 with Tax, but I got the 930E Refurbished for $1450 with 4 year warranty
andyadler likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
jimmyhigh; solzun; zachfeen; johnerz

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page