**OFFICIAL** 2017 SONY XBR-X930E (Owner's Thread)(No Price Talk) - Page 347 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 15222Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #10381 of 10774 Old 03-29-2019, 07:41 AM
Advanced Member
 
leonmckee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bend, Oregon
Posts: 832
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked: 576
Should support any 4K/UHD title that is directly purchased or ports into FandangoNOW as long as the title is 4K/UHD in their catalog. 4K/UHD support is up to each retailer.

Leon McKee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artzilla View Post
Does this only work with titles purchased through Fandango? Fandango indicates UHD not supported on all of the following titles.

LR: XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB 5th Gen | UBP-X700 | URC MX-890 | SoundTouch 300 | Luminoodle Bias Lighting
MBR: KDL-65W850A | ATV4K-64GB 5th Gen | URC MX-890 | Luminoodle Bias Lighting
4K HDR/DV Chains: ATV4K/UBP-X700>3ft Monoprice Certified Premium Cables>65X930E
Computing, Truck & Communication Devices: Proud Apple Customer Since 1979
leonmckee is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #10382 of 10774 Old 03-29-2019, 07:46 AM
Advanced Member
 
leonmckee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bend, Oregon
Posts: 832
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked: 576
My personal opinion would be the internal Vudu app. However, the ATV4K is my primary streamer so I only switch to the internal apps when a title is not supported in 4K/UHD on the ATV4K. Your milage may vary

Leon McKee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artzilla View Post
Which leads me to a second topic: Is there a concensus on which of the apps on the 930e provide the best 4k video experience?
m_snow likes this.

LR: XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB 5th Gen | UBP-X700 | URC MX-890 | SoundTouch 300 | Luminoodle Bias Lighting
MBR: KDL-65W850A | ATV4K-64GB 5th Gen | URC MX-890 | Luminoodle Bias Lighting
4K HDR/DV Chains: ATV4K/UBP-X700>3ft Monoprice Certified Premium Cables>65X930E
Computing, Truck & Communication Devices: Proud Apple Customer Since 1979
leonmckee is online now  
post #10383 of 10774 Old 03-29-2019, 08:50 AM
Senior Member
 
Artzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 240
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonmckee View Post
My personal opinion would be the internal Vudu app. However, the ATV4K is my primary streamer so I only switch to the internal apps when a title is not supported in 4K/UHD on the ATV4K. Your milage may vary

Leon McKee
Thanks for both replies Leon. I am guessing, but I think perhaps this is the first glitch I've had on any of the apps or the 930. If I pull up a movie on Fandango that I purchased as 1080p, I only see the option to play in HD. I do not see the "UHD not supported". That line only appears on movies that I purchased or ported as 4k. Maybe it's not a glitch, but I think it would be odd that not a single one of the titles is supported in 4k by Fandango - but it's certainly possible. I looked to see if perhaps I needed to upgrade Fandango but it simply says "installed". Not a big issue as I am satisfied enough with Vudu.

Thanks for your time today and your considerable past contributions to this thread.
Madmax67 likes this.
Artzilla is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #10384 of 10774 Old 03-29-2019, 10:46 AM
Member
 
jimmix93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 66
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmix93 View Post
Today I connected the x700 blu ray player on the HDMI 3 and the it wasnt showing any video input after the initial logo.

On the HDMI 2 input it's perfect. And I noticed that connecting it on the HDMI 3 input the icon (on the left column when you see all you different inputs) was blinking every 1/2 seconds, do you know what means?
Just a little update, seems that the Amazon Basics HDMI 2.0 cable is causing the issue, I'm buying some kabeldirekt pro series cables to see if the issues goes away. Will keep updated since I also need cables that truly support 4K HDR 4:4:4 and RGB output on the PS4 (with the amazon ones I get the white dots artifacts).

By the way I discovered also that with the oreo update they screwed up the HDR function on the internal apps, the image goes correctly to HDR but the current image settings do not change (luminosity not to the max for example), this happens with the YouTube app and Google Movies App. With netflix you get the dolby vision output which is still functioning correctly and with an external blu-ray player/hdd the hdr function again, still working correctly.
I saw the issue was being report on reddit too a month ago.
Paul in Maryland likes this.
jimmix93 is offline  
post #10385 of 10774 Old 03-29-2019, 01:16 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmix93 View Post
Just a little update, seems that the Amazon Basics HDMI 2.0 cable is causing the issue, I'm buying some kabeldirekt pro series cables to see if the issues goes away. Will keep updated since I also need cables that truly support 4K HDR 4:4:4 and RGB output on the PS4 (with the amazon ones I get the white dots artifacts).

By the way I discovered also that with the oreo update they screwed up the HDR function on the internal apps, the image goes correctly to HDR but the current image settings do not change (luminosity not to the max for example), this happens with the YouTube app and Google Movies App. With netflix you get the dolby vision output which is still functioning correctly and with an external blu-ray player/hdd the hdr function again, still working correctly.
I saw the issue was being report on reddit too a month ago.
You can't go wrong with the Monoprice Certified Premium High Speed (18Gbps, HDR, 4:4:4). It has the certified label on it.
leonmckee likes this.
gant1080 is offline  
post #10386 of 10774 Old 03-29-2019, 01:34 PM
Member
 
jimmix93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 66
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by gant1080 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmix93 View Post
Just a little update, seems that the Amazon Basics HDMI 2.0 cable is causing the issue, I'm buying some kabeldirekt pro series cables to see if the issues goes away. Will keep updated since I also need cables that truly support 4K HDR 4:4:4 and RGB output on the PS4 (with the amazon ones I get the white dots artifacts).

By the way I discovered also that with the oreo update they screwed up the HDR function on the internal apps, the image goes correctly to HDR but the current image settings do not change (luminosity not to the max for example), this happens with the YouTube app and Google Movies App. With netflix you get the dolby vision output which is still functioning correctly and with an external blu-ray player/hdd the hdr function again, still working correctly.
I saw the issue was being report on reddit too a month ago.
You can't go wrong with the Monoprice Certified Premium High Speed (18Gbps, HDR, 4:4:4). It has the certified label on it.
Yes you are right, but I'm in the EU, so no monoprice for the high custom fees. With the Kabeldirekt ones I should be good to go, otherwise I'll switch them with some other "certified" cables. Thank you for the input anyway, could be helpful for some other USA based users 😉
jimmix93 is offline  
post #10387 of 10774 Old 03-29-2019, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member
 
leonmckee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bend, Oregon
Posts: 832
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artzilla View Post
Thanks for both replies Leon. I am guessing, but I think perhaps this is the first glitch I've had on any of the apps or the 930. If I pull up a movie on Fandango that I purchased as 1080p, I only see the option to play in HD. I do not see the "UHD not supported". That line only appears on movies that I purchased or ported as 4k. Maybe it's not a glitch, but I think it would be odd that not a single one of the titles is supported in 4k by Fandango - but it's certainly possible. I looked to see if perhaps I needed to upgrade Fandango but it simply says "installed". Not a big issue as I am satisfied enough with Vudu.

Thanks for your time today and your considerable past contributions to this thread
I recommend the following resource for "helping" to clarifying your 4K streaming rights:

http://4ksheet.com

I've attached 3 images. The first image shows my MA transaction record for Mary Poppins Returns. The second image shows the 4ksheet.com entry for the title along with the FN filter, FN column and search box. The third image shows the title on my X930E within the FN app. The 4K Spreadsheet was created and is maintained by a moderator from several of the more popular 4K communities. I'm not currently aware of a better resource for researching and verifying 4K/UHD titles at this time.

Edit: Great resource to "help" verify any of the titles that you believe should be 4K in your FN account. However, like you said, Vudu is arguably a better choice for streaming. I've only had a few titles that are exclusively 4K in FN.

Edit: Another great resource is Official Redeeming 4K/UHD HDR Titles Thread - Redemption Only!

Leon McKee
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-03-29 at 2.01.30 PM.png
Views:	38
Size:	152.6 KB
ID:	2545950   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-03-29 at 1.59.20 PM.png
Views:	48
Size:	589.4 KB
ID:	2545952   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0460.png
Views:	61
Size:	7.38 MB
ID:	2545954  

LR: XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB 5th Gen | UBP-X700 | URC MX-890 | SoundTouch 300 | Luminoodle Bias Lighting
MBR: KDL-65W850A | ATV4K-64GB 5th Gen | URC MX-890 | Luminoodle Bias Lighting
4K HDR/DV Chains: ATV4K/UBP-X700>3ft Monoprice Certified Premium Cables>65X930E
Computing, Truck & Communication Devices: Proud Apple Customer Since 1979

Last edited by leonmckee; 03-29-2019 at 03:09 PM.
leonmckee is online now  
post #10388 of 10774 Old 03-29-2019, 04:34 PM
Senior Member
 
RobertCEO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 297
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonmckee View Post
Buggy and missing features, no doubt, but it's a start

Leon McKee

Something is definitely wrong here. This app has been in UHD/4K for me for at least a few months already; yesterday when I tried to open it I had to put in my username/password. Once I got in nothing was available in UHD. I never bought anything directly from Fandango, mostly all my moves I buy from VUDU but I would still be able to watch most of those movies in 4k on Fandango. There was a time when my VUDU app kept buffering so I was mostly using the Fandango app but now since nothings in 4K it useless for me. I did get a letter a day or two ago from Ultra Violet saying something about there going out business and I may to to link accounts or something so will have to look into this further.
RobertCEO is offline  
post #10389 of 10774 Old 03-29-2019, 09:32 PM
Advanced Member
 
Morac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: NJ
Posts: 934
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertCEO View Post
Something is definitely wrong here. This app has been in UHD/4K for me for at least a few months already; yesterday when I tried to open it I had to put in my username/password. Once I got in nothing was available in UHD. I never bought anything directly from Fandango, mostly all my moves I buy from VUDU but I would still be able to watch most of those movies in 4k on Fandango. There was a time when my VUDU app kept buffering so I was mostly using the Fandango app but now since nothings in 4K it useless for me. I did get a letter a day or two ago from Ultra Violet saying something about there going out business and I may to to link accounts or something so will have to look into this further.


I recall the Fandango Now app having 4K support for a while. According to the description it was last updated in October 2018.
Morac is online now  
post #10390 of 10774 Old 03-29-2019, 09:48 PM
Advanced Member
 
leonmckee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bend, Oregon
Posts: 832
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morac View Post
I recall the Fandango Now app having 4K support for a while. According to the description it was last updated in October 2018.
For some reason, not disclosed by FN, not everyone with the X930E had full support. I did not! Supposedly, we're all good to go now. The latest downloaded update to the app was 3/28/2019 with updated version 1.11.0 that's actually dated 10/17/2018 and shows as released 10/12/2016. Strange, but that's what happened!

I'm glad I'm not a loyal FN user or I would be... Not HAPPY!

Leon McKee

LR: XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB 5th Gen | UBP-X700 | URC MX-890 | SoundTouch 300 | Luminoodle Bias Lighting
MBR: KDL-65W850A | ATV4K-64GB 5th Gen | URC MX-890 | Luminoodle Bias Lighting
4K HDR/DV Chains: ATV4K/UBP-X700>3ft Monoprice Certified Premium Cables>65X930E
Computing, Truck & Communication Devices: Proud Apple Customer Since 1979
leonmckee is online now  
post #10391 of 10774 Old 03-29-2019, 10:20 PM
Senior Member
 
RobertCEO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 297
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonmckee View Post
For some reason, not disclosed by FN, not everyone with the X930E had full support. I did not! Supposedly, we're all good to go now. The latest downloaded update to the app was 3/28/2019 with updated version 1.11.0 that's actually dated 10/17/2018 and shows as released 10/12/2016. Strange, but that's what happened!

I'm glad I'm not a loyal FN user or I would be... Not HAPPY!

Leon McKee


Yeah that sounds right, mines switched to UHD probably around that time (10/18). Funny how looks like it switched; I had the 4k while you did not, now from 3/28/19 no longer works for me but does for you. Thankfully the VUDU app seems to be working better for me now.
RobertCEO is offline  
post #10392 of 10774 Old 03-30-2019, 06:49 AM
Advanced Member
 
Morac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: NJ
Posts: 934
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 102
**OFFICIAL** 2017 SONY XBR-X930E (Owner's Thread)(No Price Talk)

An Apps Spotlight promotional channel showed up on my home screen the other day. I removed it by customizing the channels.

Today not only did the Apps Spotlight come back, but now there is a “Sponsored” channel under Play Next with no way to remove it or move it anywhere. Not only can’t it be removed, but it’s always highlighted.

Based on the https://www.reddit.com/r/AndroidTV/c...sored_content/ Reddit thread, Google or Sony appears to be pushing this out to everyone.

Edit:

The recent update to the “Android TV Core Services” app is what made those 2 items into “Promotional” channels and made the “Sponsored” one permanent. Uninstalling the update will allow it to be removed. Though my guess is that it will come back.

Edit 2:

Sony is saying Google added it. If so that’s a pretty dick move on Google’s part.

https://www.sony.com/electronics/sup...icles/00225587

Last edited by Morac; 03-30-2019 at 07:19 AM.
Morac is online now  
post #10393 of 10774 Old 03-30-2019, 08:25 AM
Advanced Member
 
leonmckee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bend, Oregon
Posts: 832
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked: 576
Agreed! This also relates to my posts about FN. Strange updates this week!

Leon McKee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morac View Post
Sony is saying Google added it. If so that’s a pretty dick move on Google’s part.

LR: XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB 5th Gen | UBP-X700 | URC MX-890 | SoundTouch 300 | Luminoodle Bias Lighting
MBR: KDL-65W850A | ATV4K-64GB 5th Gen | URC MX-890 | Luminoodle Bias Lighting
4K HDR/DV Chains: ATV4K/UBP-X700>3ft Monoprice Certified Premium Cables>65X930E
Computing, Truck & Communication Devices: Proud Apple Customer Since 1979
leonmckee is online now  
post #10394 of 10774 Old 03-30-2019, 08:30 AM
Advanced Member
 
leonmckee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bend, Oregon
Posts: 832
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked: 576
Flame on... I've just got to say that I STRONGLY dislike Android! Flame off...

Leon McKee
Artzilla likes this.

LR: XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB 5th Gen | UBP-X700 | URC MX-890 | SoundTouch 300 | Luminoodle Bias Lighting
MBR: KDL-65W850A | ATV4K-64GB 5th Gen | URC MX-890 | Luminoodle Bias Lighting
4K HDR/DV Chains: ATV4K/UBP-X700>3ft Monoprice Certified Premium Cables>65X930E
Computing, Truck & Communication Devices: Proud Apple Customer Since 1979
leonmckee is online now  
post #10395 of 10774 Old 03-30-2019, 12:15 PM
Senior Member
 
Artzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 240
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonmckee View Post
Flame on... I've just got to say that I STRONGLY dislike Android! Flame off...

Leon McKee
Sorry to single you out Leon but you are among, if not the most informed about this set in this thread and I have a question that may be answered in the past pages but I'm looking for a shortcut. If it's not a quick simple answer just disregard this and I'll dig through the thread when time allows.

Prior to the Oreo update I turned off automatic updates due to the issues owners were reporting. I did upgrade to Oreo and have been fortunate to avoid any of them. Now after the Oreo update I can't find a way to check for system/Android updates. I've been through the Apps menus etc but am coming up empty. Am I missing something simple/not selecting the correct app? I don't know if updates are now fully automatic, fully off unless manually initiated (which I can't figure out how to execute) or I am getting dense.

Thanks regardless and of course despite singling out Leon I welcome suggestions from anyone.
Artzilla is offline  
post #10396 of 10774 Old 03-30-2019, 04:49 PM
Advanced Member
 
leonmckee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bend, Oregon
Posts: 832
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked: 576
Try: Settings > About > System software update > Software update

That'll get you Android system updates. 3rd party & Android app updates are all in the Google Play Store.

Leon McKee



Quote:
Originally Posted by Artzilla View Post
Sorry to single you out Leon but you are among, if not the most informed about this set in this thread and I have a question that may be answered in the past pages but I'm looking for a shortcut. If it's not a quick simple answer just disregard this and I'll dig through the thread when time allows.

Prior to the Oreo update I turned off automatic updates due to the issues owners were reporting. I did upgrade to Oreo and have been fortunate to avoid any of them. Now after the Oreo update I can't find a way to check for system/Android updates. I've been through the Apps menus etc but am coming up empty. Am I missing something simple/not selecting the correct app? I don't know if updates are now fully automatic, fully off unless manually initiated (which I can't figure out how to execute) or I am getting dense.

Thanks regardless and of course despite singling out Leon I welcome suggestions from anyone.

LR: XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB 5th Gen | UBP-X700 | URC MX-890 | SoundTouch 300 | Luminoodle Bias Lighting
MBR: KDL-65W850A | ATV4K-64GB 5th Gen | URC MX-890 | Luminoodle Bias Lighting
4K HDR/DV Chains: ATV4K/UBP-X700>3ft Monoprice Certified Premium Cables>65X930E
Computing, Truck & Communication Devices: Proud Apple Customer Since 1979
leonmckee is online now  
post #10397 of 10774 Old 03-31-2019, 08:18 AM
Advanced Member
 
Morac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: NJ
Posts: 934
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 102
I want to pull logs off my TV to try and figure out why it’s networking doesn’t play nice with the latest firmware for my router. I’ve read how to do this, but I have a question about “developer mode”.

Does it make any other changes, other then showing the developer options menu in settings? Basically is there a downside to leaving it on?

I ask because I’ve read once it’s enabled, the only way to disable it is to do a factory reset which I don’t want to do.
Morac is online now  
post #10398 of 10774 Old 04-01-2019, 03:11 AM
Senior Member
 
Artzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 240
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonmckee View Post
Try: Settings > About > System software update > Software update

That'll get you Android system updates. 3rd party & Android app updates are all in the Google Play Store.

Leon McKee
Right on the money. Thanks
Artzilla is offline  
post #10399 of 10774 Old 04-01-2019, 08:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Southern California
Posts: 2,485
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1659 Post(s)
Liked: 947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morac View Post
I want to pull logs off my TV to try and figure out why it’s networking doesn’t play nice with the latest firmware for my router. I’ve read how to do this, but I have a question about “developer mode”.

Does it make any other changes, other then showing the developer options menu in settings? Basically is there a downside to leaving it on?

I ask because I’ve read once it’s enabled, the only way to disable it is to do a factory reset which I don’t want to do.


No. It’s easy to enable and disable. No reset necessary.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 32GB 5th Gen | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Logitech Harmony Elite
m_snow is offline  
post #10400 of 10774 Old 04-01-2019, 03:20 PM
Member
 
jrg22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmix93 View Post
One major problem that was also being reported to the Sony official UK forum it's the messing with the video sony app.
If you play a file (mkv) with DTS audio in it, the sound becomes choppy and video is unwatchable.
This happens even rebooting the set, clearing data and cache of the relative app and simply.
Basically they just ruined an entire app, which in my opinion is one of the most important. And all this after the Oreo update.
In addition, VC-1 (Microsoft's video codec that is on some blu-rays) no longer plays from MKV without stutter. I guess somehow they removed or broke hardware acceleration of VC-1 in the Video app.
jrg22 is offline  
post #10401 of 10774 Old 04-01-2019, 05:13 PM
Senior Member
 
keyoctave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 357
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Advice needed

Hello 930e owners.

I have an opportunity to purchase a factory new 55” 930e. I am looking to replace my 2014 Samsung 55hu8550 (with the 2015 sek-3500 upgrade box). I am wanting better black levels and improved HDR performance vs what the Samsung has. The Sony would be used mostly for DTV viewing and 4K Bluray playback. My other thought was going with the new 55” Samsung q80 but the Sony can be had for much less. Any thoughts on this matter from owners would be most appreaciated!

LG 55”C8 OLED Oppo BDP-103 Sony X800m2
Denon X3300W 5.2.2 PSB/M&K speakers
Samsung 55HU8550/SEK-3500U
Sonos 5.1 Playbase/sub/surrounds
CalMAN Home Enthusiast/i1display pro oem/i1 pro 2/Videoforge HDMI-2 TPG
keyoctave is offline  
post #10402 of 10774 Old 04-01-2019, 05:39 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 23
That’s a tough one. But I’d say give the 930 a chance while you still can as I don’t think they will around much longer and especially when you consider price. I am very pleased will mine one of the better TVs I’ve ever had.
Majcric is offline  
post #10403 of 10774 Old 04-01-2019, 06:37 PM
Member
 
jimmix93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 66
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrg22 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmix93 View Post
One major problem that was also being reported to the Sony official UK forum it's the messing with the video sony app.
If you play a file (mkv) with DTS audio in it, the sound becomes choppy and video is unwatchable.
This happens even rebooting the set, clearing data and cache of the relative app and simply.
Basically they just ruined an entire app, which in my opinion is one of the most important. And all this after the Oreo update.
In addition, VC-1 (Microsoft's video codec that is on some blu-rays) no longer plays from MKV without stutter. I guess somehow they removed or broke hardware acceleration of VC-1 in the Video app.
Our hopes are all for the next update 😉
jimmix93 is offline  
post #10404 of 10774 Old 04-01-2019, 08:16 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 733
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by keyoctave View Post
Hello 930e owners.

I have an opportunity to purchase a factory new 55” 930e. I am looking to replace my 2014 Samsung 55hu8550 (with the 2015 sek-3500 upgrade box). I am wanting better black levels and improved HDR performance vs what the Samsung has. The Sony would be used mostly for DTV viewing and 4K Bluray playback. My other thought was going with the new 55” Samsung q80 but the Sony can be had for much less. Any thoughts on this matter from owners would be most appreaciated!
Lol it’s (or should say Was) a great set if you luck out and get one without hardware or physical issues 🤷🏻*♂️
fssfguy is offline  
post #10405 of 10774 Old 04-02-2019, 03:28 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by keyoctave View Post
Hello 930e owners.

I have an opportunity to purchase a factory new 55” 930e. I am looking to replace my 2014 Samsung 55hu8550 (with the 2015 sek-3500 upgrade box). I am wanting better black levels and improved HDR performance vs what the Samsung has. The Sony would be used mostly for DTV viewing and 4K Bluray playback. My other thought was going with the new 55” Samsung q80 but the Sony can be had for much less. Any thoughts on this matter from owners would be most appreaciated!
Personally I’d buy Sony over Samsung any day. 930e is a very good TV. Have no experience with the new Samsung’s the owners forums a still a little light on for feedback.

DV is still worth it for HDR. Upscaling is excellent. Motion is also better than average. It’s also A very bright TV good for well lit rooms.

My 930e has performed very well. Although we don’t have the Oreo update in Australia yet.
geoffo11 is offline  
post #10406 of 10774 Old 04-02-2019, 07:28 AM
Advanced Member
 
Jim Kiler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: MN
Posts: 691
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonmckee View Post
For some reason, not disclosed by FN, not everyone with the X930E had full support. I did not! Supposedly, we're all good to go now. The latest downloaded update to the app was 3/28/2019 with updated version 1.11.0 that's actually dated 10/17/2018 and shows as released 10/12/2016. Strange, but that's what happened!

I'm glad I'm not a loyal FN user or I would be... Not HAPPY!

Leon McKee
I installed FandangoNow last summer and it worked in UHD without HDR. When i switched to Oreo last December i no longer got UHD. I believe UHD was broken under Oreo only.
leonmckee likes this.

TV - Sony 65XBR-930e | Receiver - Yamaha RX-V577 | 4K player - Sony UBP-X700 | PS3 | Router - Asus RT-AC86U | SVS SB-2000 sub | Paradigm Monitor SE 6000F L/R | Paradigm Monitor SE 2000C center | Paradigm ADP-170 v.3 rears
Jim Kiler is offline  
post #10407 of 10774 Old 04-03-2019, 09:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mutelight's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 3,274
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2227 Post(s)
Liked: 2511
I got a "Sponsored" row on my home screen that I noticed yesterday but all the panels were gray because my Pi-hole was blocking all the ads.

If you get it on yours, here are the steps to get rid of it.
1- Remove updates to ATV Core Services
2- Go to menu and disable (-) Sponsored channel
3- Reinstall updates for Core Services

Credit goes to this user on Reddit.
Jim Kiler, leonmckee and Madmax67 like this.
mutelight is online now  
post #10408 of 10774 Old 04-03-2019, 12:57 PM
Advanced Member
 
leonmckee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bend, Oregon
Posts: 832
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked: 576
Worked! Thanks for posting this!

Leon McKee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutelight View Post
I got a "Sponsored" row on my home screen that I noticed yesterday but all the panels were gray because my Pi-hole was blocking all the ads.

If you get it on yours, here are the steps to get rid of it.
1- Remove updates to ATV Core Services
2- Go to menu and disable (-) Sponsored channel
3- Reinstall updates for Core Services

Credit goes to this user on Reddit.

LR: XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB 5th Gen | UBP-X700 | URC MX-890 | SoundTouch 300 | Luminoodle Bias Lighting
MBR: KDL-65W850A | ATV4K-64GB 5th Gen | URC MX-890 | Luminoodle Bias Lighting
4K HDR/DV Chains: ATV4K/UBP-X700>3ft Monoprice Certified Premium Cables>65X930E
Computing, Truck & Communication Devices: Proud Apple Customer Since 1979
leonmckee is online now  
post #10409 of 10774 Old 04-03-2019, 03:08 PM
Advanced Member
 
leonmckee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bend, Oregon
Posts: 832
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked: 576
Today's FN update (version 1.11.2 dated 04-01-19) gave me HDR. Still lacking, but they've made progress with my installation at least

Leon McKee

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_snow View Post
But oddly no HDR.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
m_snow likes this.

LR: XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB 5th Gen | UBP-X700 | URC MX-890 | SoundTouch 300 | Luminoodle Bias Lighting
MBR: KDL-65W850A | ATV4K-64GB 5th Gen | URC MX-890 | Luminoodle Bias Lighting
4K HDR/DV Chains: ATV4K/UBP-X700>3ft Monoprice Certified Premium Cables>65X930E
Computing, Truck & Communication Devices: Proud Apple Customer Since 1979

Last edited by leonmckee; 04-03-2019 at 03:31 PM.
leonmckee is online now  
post #10410 of 10774 Old 04-03-2019, 03:16 PM
Advanced Member
 
Morac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: NJ
Posts: 934
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutelight View Post
I got a "Sponsored" row on my home screen that I noticed yesterday but all the panels were gray because my Pi-hole was blocking all the ads.



If you get it on yours, here are the steps to get rid of it.

1- Remove updates to ATV Core Services

2- Go to menu and disable (-) Sponsored channel

3- Reinstall updates for Core Services



Credit goes to this user on Reddit.


I posted this a little while up the thread. Unfortunately it’s not a permanent fix as the Promo will come back when Google pushes it out again.
leonmckee likes this.
Morac is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
jimmyhigh; solzun; zachfeen; johnerz

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off