**OFFICIAL** 2017 SONY XBR-X930E (Owner's Thread)(No Price Talk) - Page 351 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 15227Likes

post #10501 of 10805 Old 05-03-2019, 02:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hey, I have a small problem, my 65XE9305 (X930E) is missing a small dust cover/back panel piece from the bottom right of the tv (under the power/volume buttons). It's about 7cm x 18.5cm sized detachable piece.
I bought it as a demo model and it was supposed to be in "as new -condition". I've been trying to get the this sorted out with the store for about 4 months now.

Today they sent me the whole back panel without the detachable panels
I think I'm gonna handle this on my own with Sony, can someone tell me the part number for that missing piece?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10502 of 10805 Old 05-03-2019, 08:50 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Guys guys guys

I bought this tv since a week and i changed always the settings i am not satisfied

Can any share his settings i need to settle in just 1

I am using it as HTPC monitor and watching movies all the times on my mini pc
post #10503 of 10805 Old 05-03-2019, 10:29 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePenaxer View Post
Hey, I have a small problem, my 65XE9305 (X930E) is missing a small dust cover/back panel piece from the bottom right of the tv (under the power/volume buttons). It's about 7cm x 18.5cm sized detachable piece.
I bought it as a demo model and it was supposed to be in "as new -condition". I've been trying to get the this sorted out with the store for about 4 months now.

Today they sent me the whole back panel without the detachable panels
I think I'm gonna handle this on my own with Sony, can someone tell me the part number for that missing piece?

In the Service Manual they call it the "COVER SP L (2L PUC)"

You can see it for yourself here:

https://sony.encompass.com/shop/mode...XBR65X930E.pdf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10504 of 10805 Old 05-03-2019, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmadss View Post
Guys guys guys

I bought this tv since a week and i changed always the settings i am not satisfied

Can any share his settings i need to settle in just 1

I am using it as HTPC monitor and watching movies all the times on my mini pc
Sure. I don't have experience with using this TV as an HTPC monitor, but I do use it for movies and TV shows (mainly using an Apple TV 4K and a regular Blu-ray player), and video games (PS4 Pro – PS3).

I'll list my settings, and add explanations when I think it's needed.

---

Picture Mode:
Custom

- After a little more than a year with this TV, I find that one of the most influential setting for picture quality is the Picture Mode. Each mode has their own specific particularities and behaves a bit differently, even with the exact same settings applied to all of them. I use Custom because none of the other modes can achieve the same perceived picture sharpness, and Custom also handles gamma a bit differently. Combined with the right Reality Creation setting (see below), Custom has the potential to offer a very impressive picture quality. Impressive with 4K signals, but also especially impressive with upscaled content.

- As an interesting note, before the Oreo Android TV update I was using Cinema Pro because it didn't handle HDR the same way. Before the update, Custom mode wasn't doing any tone mapping (it was hard clipping anything above 1000 nits I think). After the update, I discovered that Custom now seems to do the same tone mapping as Cinema Pro.

Brightness:
SDR: Anything you judge is the best according to your viewing environment. I usually keep it somewhere between 15 and 25.
HDR: Max

Color:

Light sensor:
Off

Contrast:

Gamma:

Black level:

Black adjust:
Off

Adv. contrast enhancer:
Off

Auto local dimming:
Medium
- This setting highly depends on the panel of your specific X930E. Set it at Medium or at High depending on what looks best to you. Because it does gradually remove a bit of brightness the higher it is set at, select the lowest possible setting between Medium or High (but do not use Low or Off; the TV really was designed to use Medium or above.)

X-tended Dynamic Range:
SDR: Off
HDR: High

Hue:

Color temperature:
Expert 1

Adv. color temperature:
Everything default
- I don't have access to the right calibration tools to be able to properly modify anything under this section.

Live Color:
Off

Sharpness:

Reality Creation:
Auto
- The Auto value in combination with the Custom Picture mode gives an absolutely great perceived sharpness that, from my experience, cannot be achieved in any other way (including by manually modifying the Resolution slider).

Random noise reduction:
Off

Digital noise reduction:
Off

Smooth gradation:
Off
- I set this one Off because it kind of negatively affects the perceived sharpness a little bit, but Low is also an acceptable value. Choose what looks best to you.

Motionflow:
True Cinema

CineMotion:
Low

- Now these two settings took me the longest time to understand correctly. It's because they are heavily interacting with one another, and because CineMotion is used to control two different things with the same setting.
- Here's an explanation I found somewhere on Reddit that seems to explain what's happening with those two settings the best:

Quote:
If you set MotionFlow to True Cinema what it does [for 24p content] is duplicate frames instead of interpolating it. Since the panel has a 120 Hz refresh rate, it simply replicate each different frame 5 times, so each different frame will have the same duration, thus avoiding judder.

Now to CineMotion, it seems a cadence detection and deinterlacing algorithm. In its lowest and medium settings, it detects interlaced content and reconstructs the frame, enhancing the image's resolution. At its highest setting it also does reverse 3:2 pulldown (converting 60fps movie videos back to their original 24fps, where it can then use the True Cinema functionality to remove the judder). If it didn't do the reverse pulldown, the video would remain at 60fps and have the 3:2 cadence judder (though it's not so noticeable). If the video is originally 30 or 60fps, then there is no need for the pulldown and neither for the True Cinema effect, so the TV probably doesn't use them.
- I use CineMotion at Low because I found that the reverse 3:2 pulldown algorithm negatively interacts with some types of content by inserting unwanted judders in the picture.

HDMI video range:
Auto

HDR mode:
Auto

Color space:
Auto (or whatever is there by default. Don't modify this unless you really need to).

For Dolby Vision mode:
- Everything the same as above (using the HDR values when specified).
- With Dolby Vision you really don't want to enable Smooth Gradation at all, though. I don't know exactly why (bug?) bit it seems to negatively affects the perceived sharpness very heavily.

For video games:
Picture Mode: Game
Motionflow: Off
Everything else the same as above, including settings specific to SDR / HDR

There you go. I hope it can help. Let me know if you have any questions.
leonmckee and Onward74 like this.

Last edited by ForecastV; 05-03-2019 at 04:57 PM.
post #10505 of 10805 Old 05-03-2019, 12:32 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForecastV View Post
In the Service Manual they call it the "COVER SP L (2L PUC)"

You can see it for yourself here:

Thx man, I didn't know about that manual.
That piece cost's about 8 euros here in Finland, and they sent me the full back panel worth of 250e
Unfortunately I have no use for that huge piece of plastic.
post #10506 of 10805 Old 05-03-2019, 02:33 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked: 613
Just turned on my 65" 930E and have the android os symbols frozen on screen, remote is not responsive.

Anyone else experience this (not sure if I should unplug it)?

Thank you,
Jason

HT = BenQ HT3550 - Sony HW45ES @133" / Marantz SR6013 7.3.4 Atmos / B&K 5000 II amp / Boston VR2/VR12/CR67 speakers / Rythmik 12" x2 / CV 15" / Panasonic UB820 / Toshiba HD-A3
Media Room = Sony 65x930e / Denon x3300 /Klipsch speakers /Velodyne subs /Sony x700 /PS4 Pro + PSVR/WiiU/PS3/360/Wii/ 2080 TI - 9900K PC / Multi-Arcade / Virtual Pinball TRE45ON
post #10507 of 10805 Old 05-03-2019, 02:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post
Just turned on my 65" 930E and have the android os symbols frozen on screen, remote is not responsive.

Anyone else experience this (not sure if I should unplug it)?

Thank you,
Jason
Had this happen to me earlier this year - see my original post:

"Had a weird thing happen to my 65" 930e last night. Went to turn on my set as usual, through my Harmony One. All my other devices for this activity (AVR & DTV) powered on as usual, but the 930e stayed off. Tried a couple of starts with the Harmony with no success. Finally used the Sony remote to start the 930e and a screen image did appear = the 4 emojis (?) that usually are visible during the reboot process during an update. I had previously completed the current OTA update a few days ago, so I'm not sure what the TV was doing. Kept the emoji image on the screen for a few minutes - but there was no change in the image, so I tried to turn off the set using he Sony remote - no response, no matter what commands I tried on the Sony remote. Finally unplugged the 930e for 10 heart pounding minutes, plugged it back in, and fired up everything with the Harmony remote and everything was back to normal - no visible change to settings, sharpness, clarity, color balance - everything was honky dory. Just started everything up this AM and all is well.

Just wondering if anybody else has had a similar experience - especially on a Super Bowl Sunday!"

Hope this helps

post #10508 of 10805 Old 05-03-2019, 02:50 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked: 613
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsantafe View Post
Had this happen to me earlier this year - see my original post:

"Had a weird thing happen to my 65" 930e last night. Went to turn on my set as usual, through my Harmony One. All my other devices for this activity (AVR & DTV) powered on as usual, but the 930e stayed off. Tried a couple of starts with the Harmony with no success. Finally used the Sony remote to start the 930e and a screen image did appear = the 4 emojis (?) that usually are visible during the reboot process during an update. I had previously completed the current OTA update a few days ago, so I'm not sure what the TV was doing. Kept the emoji image on the screen for a few minutes - but there was no change in the image, so I tried to turn off the set using he Sony remote - no response, no matter what commands I tried on the Sony remote. Finally unplugged the 930e for 10 heart pounding minutes, plugged it back in, and fired up everything with the Harmony remote and everything was back to normal - no visible change to settings, sharpness, clarity, color balance - everything was honky dory. Just started everything up this AM and all is well.

Just wondering if anybody else has had a similar experience - especially on a Super Bowl Sunday!"

Hope this helps
Thank you, that was the assurance I needed to just go for it. I unplugged it for a few minutes, plugged back in, powered up and... it appears to be 100% functional.

I have to admit I was a little concerned there.

- Jason

HT = BenQ HT3550 - Sony HW45ES @133" / Marantz SR6013 7.3.4 Atmos / B&K 5000 II amp / Boston VR2/VR12/CR67 speakers / Rythmik 12" x2 / CV 15" / Panasonic UB820 / Toshiba HD-A3
Media Room = Sony 65x930e / Denon x3300 /Klipsch speakers /Velodyne subs /Sony x700 /PS4 Pro + PSVR/WiiU/PS3/360/Wii/ 2080 TI - 9900K PC / Multi-Arcade / Virtual Pinball TRE45ON
post #10509 of 10805 Old 05-03-2019, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePenaxer View Post
Thx man, I didn't know about that manual.
That piece cost's about 8 euros here in Finland, and they sent me the full back panel worth of 250e
Unfortunately I have no use for that huge piece of plastic.
Glad I could help! I hope you’ll be able to easily acquire the right piece. This manual really is interesting, isn’t it?
post #10510 of 10805 Old 05-04-2019, 04:18 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I had issues with some black colors not all but some

See picture from YouTube of my x930e

http://www.m9c.net/uploads/15569685891.jpg

Is something wrong with the tv or from setting
post #10511 of 10805 Old 05-04-2019, 09:15 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I finally just updated to Oreo, I do like it more except for 1 issue. I was using a cox universal remote and pressing the home button brought me to the pull down menu for picture settings.

Oreo now seems to shoot me to the home screen, yell at me to use the action menu button and I have to click the input to get back to the source.

I’m wondering if any of you use a universal remote (cox cable remote here) and where or if these remotes have an action button to get to the pull down menu and where it might be at.

I seem to have tried everything but maybe I missed something.
post #10512 of 10805 Old 05-04-2019, 10:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Does anyone know of 6.5850 is manual download only? I’m waiting to get it OTA since I’m not really having issues with audio, but I sort of expected to get it by now.
post #10513 of 10805 Old 05-05-2019, 06:28 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morac View Post
Does anyone know of 6.5850 is manual download only? I’m waiting to get it OTA since I’m not really having issues with audio, but I sort of expected to get it by now.
I received the update OTA the day after it was released.
I had to first look to see if there was an update to install on my 65 inch 930E......
the TV said there was a new update to install,
it downloaded in the background then it asked me if I wanted to install it now or later.
I chose now.
Updated OTA without a hitch.

Here in NYC

Last edited by aflorida; 05-05-2019 at 09:28 AM.
post #10514 of 10805 Old 05-05-2019, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morac View Post

To quote myself from a few pages ago:

Quote:
I always do a USB update. Depending on their rollout strategy for this particular firmware, if you wait for your TV to automatically update it can take anywhere from a few days to a few months.
post #10515 of 10805 Old 05-05-2019, 07:59 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 102
**OFFICIAL** 2017 SONY XBR-X930E (Owner's Thread)(No Price Talk)

Quote:
To quote myself from a few pages ago:

I know it can take awhile, but I read they will be releasing the update in Europe and Asia within a week. You’d think they’d want to finish with North America first.

I’m actually still on 5805 which is older than the 5830 release.
post #10516 of 10805 Old 05-07-2019, 04:55 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 92
An interesting article I came across that describes a hybrid form of HDR that is claimed to be performed by this series of TV’s

https://www.avnirvana.com/threads/hd...r-schemes.588/

Might explain why we owners are somewhat spoiled by this Active HDR and don’t see a tremendous difference with Dolby Vision.
Jim Kiler, Onward74 and ForecastV like this.
post #10517 of 10805 Old 05-07-2019, 08:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 558 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Does anyone use the PS Vue app on this TV? Although the guide was always laggy, video was perfectly smooth after the initial several second buffering period. Over the past couple of weeks, I have noticed periodic stuttering, which has become extremely annoying at times, especially when watching the NBA playoffs. I have not updated the firmware since an earlier version of the Oreo update from sometime in February. I have cleared the app cache and restarted the TV, to no avail. I have noticed no such stuttering on PS Vue using an Nvidia Shield and Amazon Fire TV on my other TVs. I am guessing a recent app update is not behaving well with our underpowered MediaTek SoC.
post #10518 of 10805 Old 05-07-2019, 03:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD23 View Post
Does anyone use the PS Vue app on this TV? Although the guide was always laggy, video was perfectly smooth after the initial several second buffering period. Over the past couple of weeks, I have noticed periodic stuttering, which has become extremely annoying at times, especially when watching the NBA playoffs. I have not updated the firmware since an earlier version of the Oreo update from sometime in February. I have cleared the app cache and restarted the TV, to no avail. I have noticed no such stuttering on PS Vue using an Nvidia Shield and Amazon Fire TV on my other TVs. I am guessing a recent app update is not behaving well with our underpowered MediaTek SoC.
I have noticed stuttering on NBA games carried by TBS using my DirecTV programming & thought perhaps it was a motion setting on the 930e - however multiple adjustments to the settings failed to correct the problem. I did not notice this situation on any other channels. Last night I was watching Rockets-Warriors on an older Sony (XBR 9) also through DirecTV & noticed the same problems - so I tempted to conclude that it's the TBS signal & not the TV. Anyone else have a similar experience?

post #10519 of 10805 Old 05-07-2019, 04:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2218 Post(s)
Liked: 2515
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGrana View Post
An interesting article I came across that describes a hybrid form of HDR that is claimed to be performed by this series of TV’s

https://www.avnirvana.com/threads/hd...r-schemes.588/

Might explain why we owners are somewhat spoiled by this Active HDR and don’t see a tremendous difference with Dolby Vision.
He doesn't offer any links or proof that this is true for the Sony sets other than his own statements so I'd take that with a grain of salt until he can say he spoke with a Sony engineer confirming this is true with the X1 Extreme chip.

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html
post #10520 of 10805 Old 05-07-2019, 06:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsantafe View Post
I have noticed stuttering on NBA games carried by TBS using my DirecTV programming & thought perhaps it was a motion setting on the 930e - however multiple adjustments to the settings failed to correct the problem. I did not notice this situation on any other channels. Last night I was watching Rockets-Warriors on an older Sony (XBR 9) also through DirecTV & noticed the same problems - so I tempted to conclude that it's the TBS signal & not the TV. Anyone else have a similar experience?

I have also tried all combinations of motion settings to no avail. I still do have some concern it is caused by the PS Vue app because I also noticed it on the NFL network scrolling ticker and a portion of this past week's episode of GoT exhibited terrible stuttering. I think I may just buy an Apple TV 4k if it doesn't clear up in the next week or two.
post #10521 of 10805 Old 05-07-2019, 11:54 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Finally got my ota update to Oreo. Ehhhh,it’s ok. Don’t notivce any pq difference.......
post #10522 of 10805 Old 05-08-2019, 12:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmartinijr1 View Post
Finally got my ota update to Oreo. Ehhhh,it’s ok. Don’t notivce any pq difference.......
That's because there wasn't any picture quality differences in the update. They fixed a screwup with ARC and certain AV receivers with this one.

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html
post #10523 of 10805 Old 05-08-2019, 12:53 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmax67 View Post
That's because there wasn't any picture quality differences in the update. They fixed a screwup with ARC and certain AV receivers with this one.
Still no sign of the updated Oreo release at this side of the Atlantic Ocean, so for its' EU cousin (KD-**XE9305). There were stories it would land end of April here. There are definitely more problems in the Oreo release than stuff like ARC (reboots etc).

Onkyo TX-NR676E | 5.1 speakers : Technology Master Audio Compact 10 & 20 + Klipsch RSW 12 sub | Philips 42PFL5038/H12 | PS4 Pro | Xbox One S | HTPC based on AMD A10-6700 APU and Win 8.1 x64 | Apple TV 4K | Amazon Fire TV 4K | Sonos: 2 x CONNECT:AMP + CONNECT | QNAP TS-451 + TS-131P
post #10524 of 10805 Old 05-08-2019, 12:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loekf View Post
Still no sign of the updated Oreo release at this side of the Atlantic Ocean, so for its' EU cousin (KD-**XE9305). There were stories it would land end of April here. There are definitely more problems in the Oreo release than stuff like ARC (reboots etc).
Got it. Not for me there isn't. Reboots have been brought up with this set since its launch . IP protocol was the cause of a lot of it. I had one power down event while paused for a long time a while back but never any random reboots. Bravia Sync is a hot mess. Why I don't use it anymore.

post #10525 of 10805 Old 05-08-2019, 01:14 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Got it. Not for me there isn't. Reboots have been brought up with this set since its launch . IP protocol was the cause of a lot of it. I had one power down event while paused for a long time a while back but never any random reboots. Bravia Sync is a hot mess. Why I don't use it anymore.
Hmm.... I'm using IP control with a Logitech Harmony now. Might switch to IR control to see it that helps. My theory so far was that it has to do with CI+ handshakes. Older releases had a similar issues, but there was a workaround if you disable interactive TV services.

Onkyo TX-NR676E | 5.1 speakers : Technology Master Audio Compact 10 & 20 + Klipsch RSW 12 sub | Philips 42PFL5038/H12 | PS4 Pro | Xbox One S | HTPC based on AMD A10-6700 APU and Win 8.1 x64 | Apple TV 4K | Amazon Fire TV 4K | Sonos: 2 x CONNECT:AMP + CONNECT | QNAP TS-451 + TS-131P
post #10526 of 10805 Old 05-08-2019, 01:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hmm.... I'm using IP control with a Logitech Harmony now. Might switch to IR control to see it that helps. My theory so far was that it has to do with CI+ handshakes. Older releases had a similar issues, but there was a workaround if you disable interactive TV services.
Yeah, i use a Harmony as well. IP control was an effing nightmare for me. Turning that piece of junk off was the second best thing I ever did. Turning off Bravia Sync was the first. This is a great TV set but a horrible networking one.

post #10527 of 10805 Old 05-08-2019, 06:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked: 2528
Quote:
I use IP control on my sets because it would be long runs for the IR blasters but I need to switch to IR controls. Someone did a power measurement and apparently these TVs take up to 20w in "standby" waiting on IP commands.

That is just insane considering that is over 3x the power consumption of something like the Apple TV 4K when it is under load decoding a 4K movie and this is with the TVs in "standby".
Madmax67 likes this.
post #10528 of 10805 Old 05-08-2019, 07:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutelight View Post
I use IP control on my sets because it would be long runs for the IR blasters but I need to switch to IR controls. Someone did a power measurement and apparently these TVs take up to 20w in "standby" waiting on IP commands.

That is just insane considering that is over 3x the power consumption of something like the Apple TV 4K when it is under load decoding a 4K movie and this is with the TVs in "standby".

Is this issue present for all Sony Android TVs running Oreo?
post #10529 of 10805 Old 05-08-2019, 07:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked: 2528
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD23 View Post
Is this issue present for all Sony Android TVs running Oreo?
The person that took the measurement used a meter on a Z9D so I am assuming that the 930E behaves the same since I use the exact same firmware file for those two TVs as well as my A1E.

I cannot confirm 100% it impacts the 930E but there is a good chance since it is the same software.
post #10530 of 10805 Old 05-08-2019, 10:33 AM

Quote:
He doesn't offer any links or proof that this is true for the Sony sets other than his own statements so I'd take that with a grain of salt until he can say he spoke with a Sony engineer confirming this is true with the X1 Extreme chip.
The x930e does tone map HDR. The “active HDR” they are discussing is actually about tone mapping.
tmdorsey likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
jimmyhigh; solzun; zachfeen; johnerz

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page