**OFFICIAL** 2017 SONY XBR-X930E (Owner's Thread)(No Price Talk) - Page 355 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 15195Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #10621 of 10699 Old 06-07-2019, 10:39 AM
Senior Member
 
Lend27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Georgia
Posts: 402
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Just wondering, do you guys vacuum the vents on the back of the tv regularly to remove any dust that might accumulate?
I have had my 930E about a year and thought that it might be a good idea to do it.
Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Len
Lend27 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #10622 of 10699 Old 06-07-2019, 02:30 PM
Advanced Member
 
Morac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: NJ
Posts: 922
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 97
I fixed the CEC issue by turning off CEC on my TV, disconnecting all HDMI cables, clearing the BraviaSetting App data, rebooting the TV and then connecting all my devices one at a time.


Another positive is all 6 of my devices are now showing up. Previously only 4 would ever show up at any time.
Morac is online now  
post #10623 of 10699 Old 06-07-2019, 02:33 PM
Member
 
squad22345's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 129
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Should I go with the Sony x930e ($999) vs the Sony x950G (1,299). I wanted to know if the Sony 930E is still a good TV that will last me for awhile. Please help me.
squad22345 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #10624 of 10699 Old 06-07-2019, 03:02 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 81
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I would definitely go with 930e. Even at the same price all in all the 930 is still a better tv.
Setzer and Maddog56 like this.
Majcric is offline  
post #10625 of 10699 Old 06-07-2019, 05:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JD23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Dallas
Posts: 1,987
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked: 288
X930E definitely has better PQ. Are you still able to find a new X930E?
JD23 is offline  
post #10626 of 10699 Old 06-07-2019, 07:55 PM
Member
 
squad22345's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 129
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD23 View Post
X930E definitely has better PQ. Are you still able to find a new X930E?
Yeah I could for 999.99 I thought it was a good price but the new one (950G) was only 300 bucks more, so I was confuse.
squad22345 is offline  
post #10627 of 10699 Old 06-12-2019, 02:27 PM
Member
 
HD in Ohio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Central FL and West MI
Posts: 149
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD23 View Post
X930E definitely has better PQ. Are you still able to find a new X930E?

Yes, Amazon still offers new X930E sets from a reseller in California. I have one on order.
HD in Ohio is offline  
post #10628 of 10699 Old 06-12-2019, 03:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JD23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Dallas
Posts: 1,987
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD in Ohio View Post
Yes, Amazon still offers new X930E sets from a reseller in California. I have one on order.

The advantage of the 950G over the X930E is that it has a newer, faster Mediatek SoC, resulting in a more responsive Android TV UI and streaming apps, and a better remote. If you buy a high-quality external streamer (ATV or Shield), that will compensate for the X930E's main weakness.
Madmax67 likes this.
JD23 is offline  
post #10629 of 10699 Old 06-12-2019, 05:51 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: New York City
Posts: 705
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD in Ohio View Post
Yes, Amazon still offers new X930E sets from a reseller in California. I have one on order.
...and the 55 inch 930E new and available at Walmart site $1198 from third party Video and Audio Center--at the moment only 7 left
aflorida is offline  
post #10630 of 10699 Old 06-12-2019, 05:56 PM
Member
 
jev7266's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 100
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD in Ohio View Post
Yes, Amazon still offers new X930E sets from a reseller in California. I have one on order.
I bought my 65" new through Amazon last year. The reseller was the same as the one offering the units now, Video and Audio Center (California). Delivery (to Florida), unboxing, getting it onto the stand and the set's condition after shipping were all perfect. I also paid $500 more than it's being listed for now, but I don't really care. Except for the Oreo glitches, which are now all resolved for me, I've had mine for an issue-free year and still absolutely love the quality. I doubt you'll be disappointed.
Madmax67 likes this.

TVs: Sony XBR65X930E (2017), v8.0.0 (6.6510) / Samsung UN50JU7100 (2015) w/ IA02 panel, sw v.1530.1
AVR: Yamaha RX-v581, sw v.2.65
Speakers 5.1.2: Polk Audio RM6750 (surround) + Pioneer SP-T22A-LR Atmos height
jev7266 is offline  
post #10631 of 10699 Old 06-15-2019, 11:38 AM
Member
 
BG624's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 92
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 22
White Zipper Lines

So 2 years ago Sony replaced my 65" 930D when it stopped working after 4 months with a 930E which was nice but now the 930E has a wide vertical white stripe made up of 14 zipper like lines (see photo) that shows on every input incl. streaming from an internal app. I did a factory reset and unplugged it for a few minutes but it's still there.
Called Sony support, told them they replaced a bad 930D with this one which they had a record of and now this one's bad but since it's out of the warranty period I'm on my own and sent me some articles on possible solutions and gave me the name of the local authorized repair shop if they didn't work.

I'm not someone who looks to get something for nothing, but based on my history with their tv products I think maybe they should have offered me a service call.

I have Samsung, LG and Sony tv's and like the picture on the Sony but have never had anywhere near these kinds of reliability issues with any other brand. I'm tempted to just chuck it and change brands.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	930E:zipper.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	3.68 MB
ID:	2580336  
BG624 is offline  
post #10632 of 10699 Old 06-15-2019, 07:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Madmax67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Mckinney,Texas
Posts: 4,615
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2028 Post(s)
Liked: 2342
Quote:
Originally Posted by BG624 View Post
So 2 years ago Sony replaced my 65" 930D when it stopped working after 4 months with a 930E which was nice but now the 930E has a wide vertical white stripe made up of 14 zipper like lines (see photo) that shows on every input incl. streaming from an internal app. I did a factory reset and unplugged it for a few minutes but it's still there.

Called Sony support, told them they replaced a bad 930D with this one which they had a record of and now this one's bad but since it's out of the warranty period I'm on my own and sent me some articles on possible solutions and gave me the name of the local authorized repair shop if they didn't work.



I'm not someone who looks to get something for nothing, but based on my history with their tv products I think maybe they should have offered me a service call.



I have Samsung, LG and Sony tv's and like the picture on the Sony but have never had anywhere near these kinds of reliability issues with any other brand. I'm tempted to just chuck it and change brands.
That sucks. Sorry that happened. I've had good luck with Sony TV's but bad luck with Samsung. For others like you it's the opposite. Luck of the draw I guess.

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html
Madmax67 is offline  
post #10633 of 10699 Old 06-16-2019, 04:56 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 81
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by BG624 View Post
So 2 years ago Sony replaced my 65" 930D when it stopped working after 4 months with a 930E which was nice but now the 930E has a wide vertical white stripe made up of 14 zipper like lines (see photo) that shows on every input incl. streaming from an internal app. I did a factory reset and unplugged it for a few minutes but it's still there.
Called Sony support, told them they replaced a bad 930D with this one which they had a record of and now this one's bad but since it's out of the warranty period I'm on my own and sent me some articles on possible solutions and gave me the name of the local authorized repair shop if they didn't work.

I'm not someone who looks to get something for nothing, but based on my history with their tv products I think maybe they should have offered me a service call.

I have Samsung, LG and Sony tv's and like the picture on the Sony but have never had anywhere near these kinds of reliability issues with any other brand. I'm tempted to just chuck it and change brands.


You're not alone on the Sony reliability issues. Like you I've always really liked the PQ of Sony TVs but have had problems with them lasting. Even in the Trinitron days. In 2018 I bit the bullet and decided to buy a Sony 930e and 900e. The 930e has been a little wonky with some of the firmware updates. I think I've had to pull the power cord a couple of times since I've owned it for it to start up. The 900e on the other hand has performed like a champ with no hint of any issues whatsoever. Anyway, hopefully I can at least get 4 or 5 years out of these before I upgrade to an OLED.


If Panasonic was still sold in the states that would be my go to brand for reliability. They are the Toyota of electronics.
Majcric is offline  
post #10634 of 10699 Old 06-16-2019, 12:30 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by BG624 View Post
So 2 years ago Sony replaced my 65" 930D when it stopped working after 4 months with a 930E which was nice but now the 930E has a wide vertical white stripe made up of 14 zipper like lines (see photo) that shows on every input incl. streaming from an internal app. I did a factory reset and unplugged it for a few minutes but it's still there.
Called Sony support, told them they replaced a bad 930D with this one which they had a record of and now this one's bad but since it's out of the warranty period I'm on my own and sent me some articles on possible solutions and gave me the name of the local authorized repair shop if they didn't work.

I'm not someone who looks to get something for nothing, but based on my history with their tv products I think maybe they should have offered me a service call.

I have Samsung, LG and Sony tv's and like the picture on the Sony but have never had anywhere near these kinds of reliability issues with any other brand. I'm tempted to just chuck it and change brands.
It’s a bummer when stuff should just reliably work. At least you got a replacement the first time.

We all have a vendor we don’t like for the reasons you just started. Mine is Samsung I just had reliability issues across a broad spectrum of goods I just can’t cough up money on them anymore. Had really good luck with LG and to a similar degree Sony. The 930e is my first Sony TV had other Sony products mostly consoles which are still working today.

Just follow your instincts. Maybe try extended warranty on whatever tv you purchase.
Madmax67 likes this.
geoffo11 is offline  
post #10635 of 10699 Old 06-16-2019, 07:15 PM
Advanced Member
 
Jim Kiler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: MN
Posts: 675
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majcric View Post
You're not alone on the Sony reliability issues. Like you I've always really liked the PQ of Sony TVs but have had problems with them lasting. Even in the Trinitron days. In 2018 I bit the bullet and decided to buy a Sony 930e and 900e. The 930e has been a little wonky with some of the firmware updates. I think I've had to pull the power cord a couple of times since I've owned it for it to start up. The 900e on the other hand has performed like a champ with no hint of any issues whatsoever. Anyway, hopefully I can at least get 4 or 5 years out of these before I upgrade to an OLED.


If Panasonic was still sold in the states that would be my go to brand for reliability. They are the Toyota of electronics.
I got a Panasonic Plasma in 2011 and had no idea they no longer make TV's but i see a message from 5/31/16 that they stopped making TV's. News flash to me!

TV - Sony 65XBR-930e | Receiver - Yamaha RX-V577 | 4K player - Sony UBP-X700 | PS3 | Router - Asus RT-AC86U | SVS SB-2000 sub | Paradigm Monitor SE 6000F L/R | Paradigm Monitor SE 2000C center | Paradigm ADP-170 v.3 rears
Jim Kiler is online now  
post #10636 of 10699 Old 06-17-2019, 10:25 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 81
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Panasonic still makes TVs. They are just not sold here in the states anymore.
Majcric is offline  
post #10637 of 10699 Old 06-17-2019, 10:34 AM
Member
 
ejmrx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I recently cut the cord and now use You Tube TV for most of my entertainment. Does anyone have a suggestion for a back up TV controller in case the Sony that came with my 930Es (I have 2 of them), that is reasonable priced and works well with You tube TV?
ejmrx is offline  
post #10638 of 10699 Old 06-17-2019, 10:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
joshua goard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 1,567
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1230 Post(s)
Liked: 631
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD23 View Post
The advantage of the 950G over the X930E is that it has a newer, faster Mediatek SoC, resulting in a more responsive Android TV UI and streaming apps, and a better remote. If you buy a high-quality external streamer (ATV or Shield), that will compensate for the X930E's main weakness.
This is true, but I would not let the faster SOC even for a moment impact a buying decision. If you make sure that you do not allow Samba TV to be enabled during the initial setup the UI performance is night and day different. Especially since the Oreo update. I've owned 7 Sony 4k Bravia tvs and don't have UI performance issues with any of them. Are they slower than other smart platforms, sure by a bit, but not to the point that it's cumbersome at all.

To clarify, disabling Samba TV in the apps section after the tv has been setup does not yield the same performance impact as not allowing to be enabled in the first place during the initial setup. For anyone who hates the laggy UI, it might be worth a factory reset so that you can ensure you do not have Samba TV enabled.

I have a Sony 900e and A1E and Z9D and I use the onboard apps for everything. Switching to another input for streaming apps would take more time than using the on board ones...

Sony 75xZ9D connected to Panasonic UB820 and Nakamichi Shockwafe 7.1 Pro Atmos
Sony 55x900e
Sony 55xA1E
Sony 75x940e (Returned :-( bad motion blur)
Sony 55x930d (Retired)
joshua goard is offline  
post #10639 of 10699 Old 06-17-2019, 11:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Southern California
Posts: 2,349
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1584 Post(s)
Liked: 886
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejmrx View Post
I recently cut the cord and now use You Tube TV for most of my entertainment. Does anyone have a suggestion for a back up TV controller in case the Sony that came with my 930Es (I have 2 of them), that is reasonable priced and works well with You tube TV?


Harmony Elite but it’s expensive. Any remote can be programmed to work with the ATV, it’s available in the Apple remote settings. Also, my wife uses the 930E remote with CEC enabled on the ATV. Works great.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 32GB 5th Gen | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Logitech Harmony Elite
m_snow is online now  
post #10640 of 10699 Old 06-17-2019, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member
 
Morac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: NJ
Posts: 922
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejmrx View Post
I recently cut the cord and now use You Tube TV for most of my entertainment. Does anyone have a suggestion for a back up TV controller in case the Sony that came with my 930Es (I have 2 of them), that is reasonable priced and works well with You tube TV?


You can install the Sony Video & TV slide remote or Android TV apps on your phone. The former does more than the latter, but the latter does not require IP control to be enabled.

The later is also buggy though. On my iPhone I need to enter the PIN for the Android TV iOS app any time I connect it. This happens even after uninstalling the app and reinstalling. On my iPad once I set it up, it connects on its own. From what I’ve read the Android TV app stores data in the iOS keychain which means to fix this I’d have to set my iPhone up as new which I refuse to do.
Morac is online now  
post #10641 of 10699 Old 06-17-2019, 02:37 PM
Member
 
ejmrx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morac View Post
You can install the Sony Video & TV slide remote or Android TV apps on your phone. The former does more than the latter, but the latter does not require IP control to be enabled.

The later is also buggy though. On my iPhone I need to enter the PIN for the Android TV iOS app any time I connect it. This happens even after uninstalling the app and reinstalling. On my iPad once I set it up, it connects on its own. From what I’ve read the Android TV app stores data in the iOS keychain which means to fix this I’d have to set my iPhone up as new which I refuse to do.
Thanks. I'll try your suggestions. I am android all the way.
ejmrx is offline  
post #10642 of 10699 Old 06-18-2019, 06:16 AM
Advanced Member
 
Jim Kiler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: MN
Posts: 675
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua goard View Post
This is true, but I would not let the faster SOC even for a moment impact a buying decision. If you make sure that you do not allow Samba TV to be enabled during the initial setup the UI performance is night and day different. Especially since the Oreo update. I've owned 7 Sony 4k Bravia tvs and don't have UI performance issues with any of them. Are they slower than other smart platforms, sure by a bit, but not to the point that it's cumbersome at all.

To clarify, disabling Samba TV in the apps section after the tv has been setup does not yield the same performance impact as not allowing to be enabled in the first place during the initial setup. For anyone who hates the laggy UI, it might be worth a factory reset so that you can ensure you do not have Samba TV enabled.

I have a Sony 900e and A1E and Z9D and I use the onboard apps for everything. Switching to another input for streaming apps would take more time than using the on board ones...
Actually i have a 3 year old Samsung 55" i bought at Sam's club, i think it is the equivalent of the 6 series at the time and that is one slow interface. Once i boot the TV it is a solid 5 minutes before i can get the network card to connect to the internet and that is a wired connection, not wireless. That thing has always been slower than molasses in January. At the time the Samsung Galaxy S7 phone was out and this TV was slower than a Galaxy S3 my wife still had. While i can live with it and I will continue to do so the fact that Samsung thought this was okay to sell is beyong belief and I will not consider a Samsung TV again for at least a decade.

TV - Sony 65XBR-930e | Receiver - Yamaha RX-V577 | 4K player - Sony UBP-X700 | PS3 | Router - Asus RT-AC86U | SVS SB-2000 sub | Paradigm Monitor SE 6000F L/R | Paradigm Monitor SE 2000C center | Paradigm ADP-170 v.3 rears
Jim Kiler is online now  
post #10643 of 10699 Old 06-18-2019, 08:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
joshua goard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 1,567
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1230 Post(s)
Liked: 631
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Kiler View Post
Actually i have a 3 year old Samsung 55" i bought at Sam's club, i think it is the equivalent of the 6 series at the time and that is one slow interface. Once i boot the TV it is a solid 5 minutes before i can get the network card to connect to the internet and that is a wired connection, not wireless. That thing has always been slower than molasses in January. At the time the Samsung Galaxy S7 phone was out and this TV was slower than a Galaxy S3 my wife still had. While i can live with it and I will continue to do so the fact that Samsung thought this was okay to sell is beyong belief and I will not consider a Samsung TV again for at least a decade.
Yeah, I had a samsung blu ray player that was like that. Honestly, Android TV doesn't deserve all the hate it gets. It isn't the fastest interface and isn't without some hickups, but you can do more with the Android TV interface than any other. Kodi, Plex, pretty much any streaming app known to man. Hell, I've even installed video game emulators right on the tv and played super mario brothers with a PS4 controller with 0 issues. I even made a video a while back to demonstrate how easy Android TV is if you do not enable Samba TV during the setup.

Jim Kiler likes this.

Sony 75xZ9D connected to Panasonic UB820 and Nakamichi Shockwafe 7.1 Pro Atmos
Sony 55x900e
Sony 55xA1E
Sony 75x940e (Returned :-( bad motion blur)
Sony 55x930d (Retired)
joshua goard is offline  
post #10644 of 10699 Old 06-18-2019, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member
 
leonmckee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bend, Oregon
Posts: 805
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Liked: 553
Helpful video. Do you know how to determine if someone enabled Samba during the setup? Anything that can be checked to verify? I'm trying hard not to dislike Android TV

Leon McKee

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua goard View Post
Yeah, I had a samsung blu ray player that was like that. Honestly, Android TV doesn't deserve all the hate it gets. It isn't the fastest interface and isn't without some hickups, but you can do more with the Android TV interface than any other. Kodi, Plex, pretty much any streaming app known to man. Hell, I've even installed video game emulators right on the tv and played super mario brothers with a PS4 controller with 0 issues. I even made a video a while back to demonstrate how easy Android TV is if you do not enable Samba TV during the setup.

https://youtu.be/lFp0SyoTUK8

LR: XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB 5th Gen | UBP-X700 | URC MX-890 | SoundTouch 300 | Luminoodle Bias Lighting
MBR: KDL-65W850A | ATV4K-64GB 5th Gen | URC MX-890 | Luminoodle Bias Lighting
4K HDR/DV Chains: ATV4K/UBP-X700>3ft Monoprice Certified Premium Cables>65X930E
Computing, Truck & Communication Devices: Proud Apple Customer Since 1979
leonmckee is offline  
post #10645 of 10699 Old 06-18-2019, 09:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
joshua goard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 1,567
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1230 Post(s)
Liked: 631
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonmckee View Post
Helpful video. Do you know how to determine if someone enabled Samba during the setup? Anything that can be checked to verify? I'm trying hard not to dislike Android TV

Leon McKee
I would say if you are experiencing lots of lag and you don't remember, you probably enabled it. It's part of the things you would have to agree to to complete the setup process. Most people just click "Yes" to get through that crap without realizing it. If you don't want to factory reset, you can ADB into the tv from your computer if you are comfortable using command line and remove it altogether. It's not as complicated as it sounds honestly. Or the easier way is to factory reset. Yes, you'll have to log back in to everything and readjust your picture settings, but a 20 minute process to not hate the expensive tv you want to love is worth it to me...

Sony 75xZ9D connected to Panasonic UB820 and Nakamichi Shockwafe 7.1 Pro Atmos
Sony 55x900e
Sony 55xA1E
Sony 75x940e (Returned :-( bad motion blur)
Sony 55x930d (Retired)
joshua goard is offline  
post #10646 of 10699 Old 06-18-2019, 09:31 AM
Advanced Member
 
leonmckee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bend, Oregon
Posts: 805
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Liked: 553
Thanks for the feedback! I'm pretty sure I disabled Samba during my last factory reset, but wanted to verify. I seem to remember that not enabling it was easier than when I first did the setup back in 2017. I'm sure we'll have another OS update in the future that requires a reset so I'll keep this info tip of mind. Thanks!

Leon McKee

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua goard View Post
I would say if you are experiencing lots of lag and you don't remember, you probably enabled it. It's part of the things you would have to agree to to complete the setup process. Most people just click "Yes" to get through that crap without realizing it. If you don't want to factory reset, you can ADB into the tv from your computer if you are comfortable using command line and remove it altogether. It's not as complicated as it sounds honestly. Or the easier way is to factory reset. Yes, you'll have to log back in to everything and readjust your picture settings, but a 20 minute process to not hate the expensive tv you want to love is worth it to me...

LR: XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB 5th Gen | UBP-X700 | URC MX-890 | SoundTouch 300 | Luminoodle Bias Lighting
MBR: KDL-65W850A | ATV4K-64GB 5th Gen | URC MX-890 | Luminoodle Bias Lighting
4K HDR/DV Chains: ATV4K/UBP-X700>3ft Monoprice Certified Premium Cables>65X930E
Computing, Truck & Communication Devices: Proud Apple Customer Since 1979
leonmckee is offline  
post #10647 of 10699 Old 06-18-2019, 11:56 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 53
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 22
What is the prompt like with Oreo when asked to enable Samba during initial setup? Is it the same thing as when they ask to agree to Google Privacy Policy?
ForecastV is offline  
post #10648 of 10699 Old 06-18-2019, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member
 
Jim Kiler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: MN
Posts: 675
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua goard View Post
Yeah, I had a samsung blu ray player that was like that. Honestly, Android TV doesn't deserve all the hate it gets. It isn't the fastest interface and isn't without some hickups, but you can do more with the Android TV interface than any other. Kodi, Plex, pretty much any streaming app known to man. Hell, I've even installed video game emulators right on the tv and played super mario brothers with a PS4 controller with 0 issues. I even made a video a while back to demonstrate how easy Android TV is if you do not enable Samba TV during the setup.

https://youtu.be/lFp0SyoTUK8
1. They fixed the lag with Oreo so i am not sure disabling samba is relevant anymore. But i don't think i enabled it so i cannot confirm.

2. There is no way to turn it off after the initial setup? Crazy?

TV - Sony 65XBR-930e | Receiver - Yamaha RX-V577 | 4K player - Sony UBP-X700 | PS3 | Router - Asus RT-AC86U | SVS SB-2000 sub | Paradigm Monitor SE 6000F L/R | Paradigm Monitor SE 2000C center | Paradigm ADP-170 v.3 rears
Jim Kiler is online now  
post #10649 of 10699 Old 06-18-2019, 01:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
joshua goard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 1,567
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1230 Post(s)
Liked: 631
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Kiler View Post
1. They fixed the lag with Oreo so i am not sure disabling samba is relevant anymore. But i don't think i enabled it so i cannot confirm.

2. There is no way to turn it off after the initial setup? Crazy?
I would agree that Oreo is a much smoother experience. I would definitely disable samba as it is a resource hog. Android 7 was pretty laggy and choosing not to enable Samba fixed that. So I would imagine even on Oreo making sure Samba was never enabled would still get performance gains. But if you are on Oreo and don't have any issues with lag I wouldn't worry about it.

Sony 75xZ9D connected to Panasonic UB820 and Nakamichi Shockwafe 7.1 Pro Atmos
Sony 55x900e
Sony 55xA1E
Sony 75x940e (Returned :-( bad motion blur)
Sony 55x930d (Retired)
joshua goard is offline  
post #10650 of 10699 Old 06-19-2019, 09:19 AM
Member
 
BG624's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 92
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffo11 View Post
It’s a bummer when stuff should just reliably work. At least you got a replacement the first time.

We all have a vendor we don’t like for the reasons you just started. Mine is Samsung I just had reliability issues across a broad spectrum of goods I just can’t cough up money on them anymore. Had really good luck with LG and to a similar degree Sony. The 930e is my first Sony TV had other Sony products mostly consoles which are still working today.

Just follow your instincts. Maybe try extended warranty on whatever tv you purchase.
I have an aversion to extended warranty's since i think of these types of products as disposables and the profit margin on those warranties is absurdly high. I still have my Pioneer Kuro with no issues but maybe i should re-think extended warranty's since as they say, they don't make this stuff like they used to.
Jim Kiler likes this.

Last edited by BG624; 06-19-2019 at 09:23 AM.
BG624 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
jimmyhigh; solzun; zachfeen; johnerz

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off