**OFFICIAL** 2017 SONY XBR-X930E (Owner's Thread)(No Price Talk) - Page 358 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 15222Likes

post #10711 of 10774 Old 07-23-2019, 05:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD23 View Post
I have been an X930E owner for almost two years and recently bought an A9G. I still have the X930E set up in another room and can provide a comparison between the X930E and an OLED for those considering an OLED as a replacement. The A9G is noticeably better for dark room viewing because of its perfect black levels and lack of blooming, but the X930E holds its own for all other types of viewing. I actually think it is a better all-purpose TV, given its lack of burn-in risk and dramatically higher HDR brightness. The X930E also has better color uniformity, with no tinting, unlike the OLED, which has a slight magenta tint on the edges of the screen, like most other 2019 OLEDs. Both TVs are more than bright enough for SDR content and I don't run either of them anywhere near max brightness.

The main point for X930E owners is that your TV is competitive with the TV that has arguably the best overall picture quality of 2019. I went with an OLED because I could not find an LCD that was significantly better than the X930E (unfortunately, the Z9D was already out of stock by the time I was shopping) and wanted to experience a different display type.
Thank you. I'm sure many of us (myself included) were wondering how the X930E would stand up in a direct comparison to a high end OLED.
mgh26 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10712 of 10774 Old 07-23-2019, 11:55 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodyslide View Post
I know about the 2 ways to reset. I still haven't done it yet. It's such a pain to redo all the settings. I'll update once I complete it. Thanks
And if you use google play music you are limited to 10 devices and while you can delete devices you are limited to deleting 2 per year. I did not realize that until last year and ran out. Luckily i somehow got Google support to give me more devices even though i asked for more deletions.

I may need a reset as well since google play music will not play my music unless i select song or playlist. If I do album or artist it should all music instead of the music i own.

Honestly after owning this TV i would have a hard time buying another TV unless it was a Sony android TV.

TV - Sony 65XBR-930e | Receiver - Yamaha RX-V577 | 4K player - Sony UBP-X700 | PS3 | Router - Asus RT-AC86U | SVS SB-2000 sub | Paradigm Monitor SE 6000F L/R | Paradigm Monitor SE 2000C center | Paradigm ADP-170 v.3 rears
post #10713 of 10774 Old 07-23-2019, 10:59 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD23 View Post
I have been an X930E owner for almost two years and recently bought an A9G. I still have the X930E set up in another room and can provide a comparison between the X930E and an OLED for those considering an OLED as a replacement. The A9G is noticeably better for dark room viewing because of its perfect black levels and lack of blooming, but the X930E holds its own for all other types of viewing. I actually think it is a better all-purpose TV, given its lack of burn-in risk and dramatically higher HDR brightness. The X930E also has better color uniformity, with no tinting, unlike the OLED, which has a slight magenta tint on the edges of the screen, like most other 2019 OLEDs. Both TVs are more than bright enough for SDR content and I don't run either of them anywhere near max brightness.

The main point for X930E owners is that your TV is competitive with the TV that has arguably the best overall picture quality of 2019. I went with an OLED because I could not find an LCD that was significantly better than the X930E (unfortunately, the Z9D was already out of stock by the time I was shopping) and wanted to experience a different display type.

Excellent Post. The one I’ve been waiting for...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10714 of 10774 Old 07-26-2019, 07:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Question for all who have installed the latest firmware... I am wondering if others are having issues like myself. I actually really loved that last picture quality/motion the previous update provided but decided to update since I was having browser lockups at times. I figured that the Wi Fi update as indicated by the Sony update notes may help so after some time waiting for any negative comments (didn't read any) I did the update. My results are disapointing. OK .. Here's the question... Does anybody notice a picture quality change sort of washing out the Cinema Pro picture? I have set my Gamma value to - 1 where I used to use a value of 0. I also have a symptom of the TV picture settings (contrast, black level, & many other settings) causing my sound Bar to drop it's sound output when changing these settings but only during the duration of the the change. As soon as I complete the desired new value change and release the remote, the sound instantly returns. This has NEVER happened in any other software release over the Two or so years I have owned this TV. SO... I did the Full Factory Reset which did resolve this weird sound drop out but did not help with my procieved Gamma setting change needed for the Cinema Pro picture I was used to. After a short time, the sound issue also returned. I then tried to do a Power Button Reset instead of a Factory full Reset and that corrected the sound issue once again. I have had to do a Power Button reset 5 times within the last 24 hours of usage to stop this weird sound drop out during picture setting changes & this is not good. I really do NOT want to have to try a Full Factory Reset again but I am at a loss right now.... Any suggestions or anybody else noticing this issue? & NO I do NOT have pictures to support this procieved picture washout. By the way It is not just Cinema Pro that has this procieved washout But this is the picture mode I normally use. All modes seem to display this on my TV. All suggestions are appreciated.....
post #10715 of 10774 Old 07-26-2019, 04:57 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgh26 View Post
Question for all who have installed the latest firmware... I am wondering if others are having issues like myself. I actually really loved that last picture quality/motion the previous update provided but decided to update since I was having browser lockups at times. I figured that the Wi Fi update as indicated by the Sony update notes may help so after some time waiting for any negative comments (didn't read any) I did the update. My results are disapointing. OK .. Here's the question... Does anybody notice a picture quality change sort of washing out the Cinema Pro picture? I have set my Gamma value to - 1 where I used to use a value of 0. I also have a symptom of the TV picture settings (contrast, black level, & many other settings) causing my sound Bar to drop it's sound output when changing these settings but only during the duration of the the change. As soon as I complete the desired new value change and release the remote, the sound instantly returns. This has NEVER happened in any other software release over the Two or so years I have owned this TV. SO... I did the Full Factory Reset which did resolve this weird sound drop out but did not help with my procieved Gamma setting change needed for the Cinema Pro picture I was used to. After a short time, the sound issue also returned. I then tried to do a Power Button Reset instead of a Factory full Reset and that corrected the sound issue once again. I have had to do a Power Button reset 5 times within the last 24 hours of usage to stop this weird sound drop out during picture setting changes & this is not good. I really do NOT want to have to try a Full Factory Reset again but I am at a loss right now.... Any suggestions or anybody else noticing this issue? & NO I do NOT have pictures to support this procieved picture washout. By the way It is not just Cinema Pro that has this procieved washout But this is the picture mode I normally use. All modes seem to display this on my TV. All suggestions are appreciated.....

I haven’t noticed any picture quality changes with the most recent update. I’m not sure what suggestion to give you considering you’ve already done a factory reset.
post #10716 of 10774 Old 07-26-2019, 10:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majcric View Post
Excellent Post. The one I’ve been waiting for...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morac View Post
I haven’t noticed any picture quality changes with the most recent update. I’m not sure what suggestion to give you considering you’ve already done a factory reset.
Well I do appreciate the response as I suspect somthing may have gone bad during my over the Air update. I have always downloaded the firmware & verified the file size before installing via the USB Flash Drive. Got lazy I guess... I have had in the past to do two seperate Factory Resets to correct issues similar to this. SO.... 1st I am going to do a Power Button Reset which temporally corrects my Sound Bar sound drop out while adjusting any picture setting. Next I'll try the Full Factory Reset & hope that corrects both issues I am having. If not, Sure hope another update comes out sooner than later.
post #10717 of 10774 Old 07-27-2019, 07:08 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I had picture quality issues on a prior update and resolved it with a full factory reset. The picture was very dull and faded.
This update went fine with no issues that I can tell.
post #10718 of 10774 Old 07-27-2019, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member

**OFFICIAL** 2017 SONY XBR-X930E (Owner's Thread)(No Price Talk)

Quote:
Well I do appreciate the response as I suspect somthing may have gone bad during my over the Air update. I have always downloaded the firmware & verified the file size before installing via the USB Flash Drive. Got lazy I guess... I have had in the past to do two seperate Factory Resets to correct issues similar to this. SO.... 1st I am going to do a Power Button Reset which temporally corrects my Sound Bar sound drop out while adjusting any picture setting. Next I'll try the Full Factory Reset & hope that corrects both issues I am having. If not, Sure hope another update comes out sooner than later.

I normally do a USB update simply because it takes so long to get an OTA update. Last time I did a OTA though.

I don’t think there’s any real difference between the two. In both cases the update has to be copied to the TV prior to updating. I’m also pretty sure Sony downloads the full update for OTA updates as opposed to just downloading what changed. Also any update mechanism should check the integrity of the update before installing so I’d be very surprised if Sony does not.

I’m not sure why multiple factory reset would be required. A factory reset doesn’t reinstall the software, it just wipes all files that are not part of the currently installed software and replaces all settings with the default ones from the currently installed software. If that didn’t fix a problem the first time, I wouldn’t expect it to do so a second time unless the first reset changed the way the reset works (which is reaching a bit). I guess it can’t hurt though.

I wouldn’t expect another update to come out any time soon. Sony has already put out a lot more updates this year than normal, primarily to fix the bugs in the Android N update. There’s still bugs that need fixing, but considering Sony hasn’t even acknowledged them, I don’t expect they will be.
Madmax67 likes this.

Last edited by Morac; 07-27-2019 at 06:20 PM.
post #10719 of 10774 Old 07-27-2019, 06:36 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Went ahead and did the full reset today. So i'm hopeful that the TV will turn on correctly from this point on.

4KTV: Sony 65 930E Receiver: Pioneer VSX-LX101 7.2 Channel ATMOS/DTS-X Speakers: JAMO S 807(2) Fronts, Andrew Jones SP-FS52 (2) Rears, Center:SP-C22, Klipsch R-14SA Atmos Subwoofer: SVS PB-3000 Subwoofer 4K Player and Misc: Panasonic UB-820, Sony X700, Sony X800, Samsung UBD-K8500, Comcast Arris AX014ANM and Extreme 150 Internet and PS4 (6TB Edition)
post #10720 of 10774 Old 07-27-2019, 10:21 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 219
Quote:
No picture quality update but my ARC is now malfunctioning. When I power on the TV after the update, my Denon receiver no longer recognizes the signal from the cable-box, so no picture or sound. I have to unplug the Denon, the plug it back in and restart to recognize the input from the cable box. Anyone else have this issue?

In case you're wondering, my setup: Sony 65x930E, Denon x3200W, 2 Martin Logan 35XT, 1 ML Motion 8 Center Channel, and 1 ML Dynamo 700W Sub.
post #10721 of 10774 Old 07-27-2019, 10:22 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by gant1080 View Post
Thank you. I'm sure many of us (myself included) were wondering how the X930E would stand up in a direct comparison to a high end OLED.
I kinda figured that the x930E would hold it’s own. I came from a Penny plasma then the x950b, and the x930E bests both in overall picture quality. With bias lighting, it’s hands down better than both of those TVs. I’d really love to upgrade to something more spectacular (i.e., with more wow factor... maybe what I mean is more intense and dynamic HDR... dunno), but I don’t think that it exists. Also, I’d love to have a 75” TV. If I had to upgrade, I’d just get an x950G.

In case you're wondering, my setup: Sony 65x930E, Denon x3200W, 2 Martin Logan 35XT, 1 ML Motion 8 Center Channel, and 1 ML Dynamo 700W Sub.
post #10722 of 10774 Old 07-28-2019, 10:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radvlad View Post
No picture quality update but my ARC is now malfunctioning. When I power on the TV after the update, my Denon receiver no longer recognizes the signal from the cable-box, so no picture or sound. I have to unplug the Denon, the plug it back in and restart to recognize the input from the cable box. Anyone else have this issue?
I think my issues are similar to yours after this latest update.... I am using ARC for my Vizio sound bar and as previously mentioned , I get sound dropouts when modifying any picture settings which never happened in any previous firmware version. I tried a 2nd factory Reset and all was well for several hours of use but this morning ARC weirdness has returned. I was thinging I got a bad live update download but as mentioned Sony should have precations preventing the update if corruption occurs. Sure hope they really do. I do not have any idea if what I am preceiving as a slight change in picture quality on my TV is related to ARC somhow now interacting with any picture setting change I make. The ARC sound dropout I am experiencing ONLY occurs when pressing on the remote when adjusting any picture setting fron Brightness to Contrast... Ect.. While typing this, my sound bar just turned OFF on its own and the TV auto switched to internal speakers. This has been an ongoing issue since Oreo was installed & it's getting old as well. I really believe there will be more updates to come as I suspect others will report continued issues to Sony.
post #10723 of 10774 Old 07-28-2019, 11:11 AM
Advanced Member

There’s definitely still ARC issues, but they aren’t as bad as they were. I still occasionally get audio from both the TV and receiver when turning on the TV, but that doesn’t happen every time now.

Another weird issue is that the TV periodically turns on my receiver for about a minute and then turns it off, while the TV is in Standby. If I try to turn the TV on during that time either the TV won’t turn on or it will turn on and the turn off shortly afterwards. I have to wait for the TV to turn off my receiver before I can turn the TV on.

I reported that to Sony over 6 months ago. The problem is that Sony won’t even accept calls if the TV is out of warranty. They also tend to ignore emails in general other than sending back generic troubleshooting suggestions.
mgh26 likes this.
post #10724 of 10774 Old 07-29-2019, 05:13 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
There’s definitely still ARC issues, but they aren’t as bad as they were. I still occasionally get audio from both the TV and receiver when turning on the TV, but that doesn’t happen every time now.

Another weird issue is that the TV periodically turns on my receiver for about a minute and then turns it off, while the TV is in Standby. If I try to turn the TV on during that time either the TV won’t turn on or it will turn on and the turn off shortly afterwards. I have to wait for the TV to turn off my receiver before I can turn the TV on.

I reported that to Sony over 6 months ago. The problem is that Sony won’t even accept calls if the TV is out of warranty. They also tend to ignore emails in general other than sending back generic troubleshooting suggestions.
No more under warranty and having the Oreo ARC issue is my reason to avoid this update.

TV - Sony 65XBR-930e | Receiver - Yamaha RX-V577 | 4K player - Sony UBP-X700 | PS3 | Router - Asus RT-AC86U | SVS SB-2000 sub | Paradigm Monitor SE 6000F L/R | Paradigm Monitor SE 2000C center | Paradigm ADP-170 v.3 rears
post #10725 of 10774 Old 08-06-2019, 03:26 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Kiler View Post
No more under warranty and having the Oreo ARC issue is my reason to avoid this update.
We finally got the update in Australia. No ARC issues and if anything the picture quality looks “sharper”.

Did do a full power off but nothing else.

Impressed with the new interface. Some say it’s snappier but I’ve not noticed any speed difference. Less clustered screen which I really like. Never bothered by this aspect of the tv.

All in all good update.
Jim Kiler likes this.
post #10726 of 10774 Old 08-10-2019, 02:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Is my Sony X930e Atmos capable with Denon x1200w? I've searched the Forum and the internet and it's hard for me to find a correct answer. I've read that the TV does support Atmos through Arc HDMI but it limited Atmos. I also have the optical cable connected to the TV and the receiver but I did read somewhere this TV does not support Atmos? Should I disconnect the fiber-optic cable between the two devices? I read that the fiber-optic connection is not Atmos capable . I'm pretty sure I have all the settings on the TV correct.

My other question is I am not getting Atmos displayed on my Denon receiver display. have the typical 5.1 setup but I also have two front height speakers. The height speaker's do appear to be working for height sound as I check them regularly for sound and when I do audyssey setup calibration all of the speakers are being calibrated . The sound is incredible and I hear sound all around me and above me I'm just concerned since I'm not seeing it on the receiver display that maybe it's artificial sound and not truly Atmos.
I've read that the TV does not support Atmos but will my receiver allow me to play Atmos if my TV is not compatible. I don't believe the TV and receiver are eARC capable.

Sorry if this has been discussed in this thread but there's so much info.

Thanks for reading.
post #10727 of 10774 Old 08-12-2019, 06:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2227 Post(s)
Liked: 2511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chassis221 View Post
Is my Sony X930e Atmos capable with Denon x1200w? I've searched the Forum and the internet and it's hard for me to find a correct answer. I've read that the TV does support Atmos through Arc HDMI but it limited Atmos. I also have the optical cable connected to the TV and the receiver but I did read somewhere this TV does not support Atmos? Should I disconnect the fiber-optic cable between the two devices? I read that the fiber-optic connection is not Atmos capable . I'm pretty sure I have all the settings on the TV correct.

My other question is I am not getting Atmos displayed on my Denon receiver display. have the typical 5.1 setup but I also have two front height speakers. The height speaker's do appear to be working for height sound as I check them regularly for sound and when I do audyssey setup calibration all of the speakers are being calibrated . The sound is incredible and I hear sound all around me and above me I'm just concerned since I'm not seeing it on the receiver display that maybe it's artificial sound and not truly Atmos.
I've read that the TV does not support Atmos but will my receiver allow me to play Atmos if my TV is not compatible. I don't believe the TV and receiver are eARC capable.

Sorry if this has been discussed in this thread but there's so much info.

Thanks for reading.
Yes, it will pass E-AC-3 Atmos from Vudu over ARC. Netflix hasn't updated their app and I am unaware of other apps but it capable of passing lossy Atmos over ARC.
post #10728 of 10774 Old 08-12-2019, 06:44 PM

Thank you. I went on my vudu account and it works, I haven't been on there in a while I just thought I can get Atmos through Netflix. Now I can relax and stop browsing the internet for answers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2019-08-12-21-40-18_1565660632214.png
Views:	43
Size:	884.9 KB
ID:	2602262  
post #10729 of 10774 Old 08-13-2019, 08:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffo11 View Post
We finally got the update in Australia. No ARC issues and if anything the picture quality looks “sharper”.

Did do a full power off but nothing else.

Impressed with the new interface. Some say it’s snappier but I’ve not noticed any speed difference. Less clustered screen which I really like. Never bothered by this aspect of the tv.

All in all good update.
I want to add that the WiFi update although I did not experience connection issues now performs faster web page loading using my VEWD Browser software. But not the perfect software since ARC still is kind of flaky at times. On another positive note, my bluetooth mouse that seemed to drop its connection every day now is much more reliable and only needed reconnection a couple of times since the update. I really hope the last few bugs will be ironed out as I really overall love the 930E. Last comment is that I mentioned a slight picture quality change but after using the TV for a couple of weeks now, I believe I was wrong. The picture is just GREAT! Or maybe the 2nd full factory reset I did did manage to correct what I percieved to be not quite as good as image as before. Only negative comment now is that a few days ago I lost the ability to change any picture settings. All were grayed out so I did a system restart using the Power button technique and all has been well since... I don't have a clue why this happened but this has not returned so far and had never happened before since the first day of ownership.
post #10730 of 10774 Old 08-13-2019, 02:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked: 373
So, I had to have the motherboard on my 930E replaced after power surge happened. The repair guy came out today and thankfully replacing the board worked. The tv powered on is working. New motherboards apparently come with no software loaded, so the repairman had to load the software off a USB.

I'm hoping once I get home tonight, I can just check for software updates and get the latest software upgrade with no issues. I tried to do an initial test this morning before I left for work and it seems like the tv couldn't accept a DV signal from my Apple TV 4K.

Last edited by tmdorsey; 08-13-2019 at 02:46 PM.
post #10731 of 10774 Old 08-18-2019, 10:51 AM

Hi, just a quick question, would the new sony remote lets say from the 950G work on my 930E?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
post #10732 of 10774 Old 08-18-2019, 11:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked: 373

Replacement of the main board of my 930e went well. TV is back in top notch shape. Been watching content on it the past week and not noticing anything amiss so far.

Watched the VUDU UHD streaming versions of Infinity War and Endgame and have to say this tv still impresses the hell out of me with it’s picture quality. So happy I was able to cop one these sets since as of now they are no longer being made.
Jim Kiler, Modicen and ForecastV like this.
post #10733 of 10774 Old 08-18-2019, 12:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by wezyboi View Post
Hi, just a quick question, would the new sony remote lets say from the 950G work on my 930E?

The "majority" of functions are standardized Sony codes. The only time you run into an issue is with special or newly introduced features. For example, when Netflix was first supported by Sony the older remotes obviously did not have that function. I prefer customized programable remotes and it amazes me how many IR codes have not changed.

Leon McKee
m_snow likes this.

LR: XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB 5th Gen | UBP-X700 | URC MX-890 | SoundTouch 300 | Luminoodle Bias Lighting
MBR: KDL-65W850A | ATV4K-64GB 5th Gen | URC MX-890 | Luminoodle Bias Lighting
4K HDR/DV Chains: ATV4K/UBP-X700>3ft Monoprice Certified Premium Cables>65X930E
Computing, Truck & Communication Devices: Proud Apple Customer Since 1979

Last edited by leonmckee; 08-18-2019 at 03:50 PM.
post #10734 of 10774 Old 08-18-2019, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonmckee View Post
The "majority" of functions are standardized Sony codes. The only time you run into an issue is with specified features. For example, when Netflix was first supported by Sony the older remotes obviously did not have that function. I prefer customized programable remotes and it amazes me how many IR codes have not changed.

Leon McKee
Thankyou for the info, much appreciated buddy!

post #10735 of 10774 Old 08-18-2019, 08:46 PM
Advanced Member

I know this has been asked before, but is there some way to adjust the picture settings so Dolby Vision on Apple TV looks as good as the native apps on the TV?

I noticed that the Movies Anywhere app for both Android TV and TVos has been updated to support Dolby Vision and I was watching the scene from Avengers Endgame near the end of the movie and it’s not just that the picture is darker, it’s not as “shiny”. For example Thanos’s armor looks dull. I can’t find a setting that adjusts that shininess.

I’ve tried increasing the Gamma, increasing the color to the max, enabling Live Color, but nothing seems to match the brightness and color of the native apps.

Any ideas? I’d use the native apps, but those stutter at times.
post #10736 of 10774 Old 08-19-2019, 08:12 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
I know this has been asked before, but is there some way to adjust the picture settings so Dolby Vision on Apple TV looks as good as the native apps on the TV?

I noticed that the Movies Anywhere app for both Android TV and TVos has been updated to support Dolby Vision and I was watching the scene from Avengers Endgame near the end of the movie and it’s not just that the picture is darker, it’s not as “shiny”. For example Thanos’s armor looks dull. I can’t find a setting that adjusts that shininess.

I’ve tried increasing the Gamma, increasing the color to the max, enabling Live Color, but nothing seems to match the brightness and color of the native apps.

Any ideas? I’d use the native apps, but those stutter at times.
I don't use the native apps on the TV at all so I can't personally compare, but could it be an issue specific to the Movie Anywhere app? Is the same issue also happens with other DV enabled apps like Netflix?

The only thing I noticed with DV using my Apple TV was that the signal is dimmer across the board compared to regular HDR. If I bump Gamma by 2 points it solves the issue. But again, I can't compare with the native apps picture.

That's an interesting topic. I would like to hear what other 930e owners think.

Last edited by ForecastV; 08-19-2019 at 01:07 PM.
post #10737 of 10774 Old 08-19-2019, 03:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForecastV View Post
I don't use the native apps on the TV at all so I can't personally compare, but could it be an issue specific to the Movie Anywhere app? Is the same issue also happens with other DV enabled apps like Netflix?

The only thing I noticed with DV using my Apple TV was that the signal is dimmer across the board compared to regular HDR. If I bump Gamma by 2 points it solves the issue. But again, I can't compare with the native apps picture.

That's an interesting topic. I would like to hear what other 930e owners think.

I saw the same thing in Vudu. Bumping up the Gamma helps, but it still looks off somehow. It’s hard to explain, but it’s like the colors aren’t in HDR.
post #10738 of 10774 Old 08-19-2019, 05:28 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
I saw the same thing in Vudu. Bumping up the Gamma helps, but it still looks off somehow. It’s hard to explain, but it’s like the colors aren’t in HDR.

I’ve complained about this before too. I put gamma up all the way and live color to medium (as someone in this thread suggested before). It’s helped, but it still doesn’t look as good as the native apps. It’s much dimmer.

I’ve basically given up but hoping someone much smarter than me has a final answer on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #10739 of 10774 Old 08-19-2019, 08:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonkrood View Post
I’ve complained about this before too. I put gamma up all the way and live color to medium (as someone in this thread suggested before). It’s helped, but it still doesn’t look as good as the native apps. It’s much dimmer.

I’ve basically given up but hoping someone much smarter than me has a final answer on this.

I found turning off DV and using Home Cinema HDR comes closest to what the native app DV looks like. Though Home Cinema by default has Live color set to high. It doesn’t have the gamma turned up.

I did find that video does look better with gamma at 2 (or more) and Live Color at low or medium. The home screen looks horrible like that though. It’s much too bright. That makes me wonder if Apple calibrated the brightness and colors using the home screen.

It’s really odd that it’s like this though as from what I’ve read, Dolby keeps tight control of DV so as to not tarnish the Dolby name and keep things unified. That would imply Dolby signed off on Apple’s implantation for Apple TV as well as Sony’s native apps. They look nothing alike, so one of them is doing it wrong. I guess it’s possible Apple calibrated the Apple TV for an OLED screen. All I know is that DV on ATV by default doesn’t come close to putting out peak nits on this TV.

For what it’s worth, I reported this issue (dull colors) to Apple and they replied that they didn’t see a significant difference between Apple TV and native apps. Doing a Google search for “Apple TV Dolby Vision dark” returns a lot of hits for Sony TVs.

Edit:

I found a fairly plausible explanation as to what’s happening. It’s written for the 8AF, but probably applies to the 930E as well. Basically it comes down to the Apple TV trying to dynamically scale the HDR based on the metadata and the peak brightness of the TV without actually knowing what that is. Also being locked to a single picture mode.

https://www.reddit.com/r/appletv/com...medium=ios_app

Edit 2:

I found another post which suggests the TV isn’t switching to the correct HDR range with the Apple TV Dolby Vision signal. The poster suggests changing the HDR range to Full when viewing DV content on the ATV.

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/andr...5/td-p/2518563

Last edited by Morac; 08-19-2019 at 09:22 PM.
post #10740 of 10774 Old 08-20-2019, 08:23 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
I found turning off DV and using Home Cinema HDR comes closest to what the native app DV looks like. Though Home Cinema by default has Live color set to high. It doesn’t have the gamma turned up.

I did find that video does look better with gamma at 2 (or more) and Live Color at low or medium. The home screen looks horrible like that though. It’s much too bright. That makes me wonder if Apple calibrated the brightness and colors using the home screen.

It’s really odd that it’s like this though as from what I’ve read, Dolby keeps tight control of DV so as to not tarnish the Dolby name and keep things unified. That would imply Dolby signed off on Apple’s implantation for Apple TV as well as Sony’s native apps. They look nothing alike, so one of them is doing it wrong. I guess it’s possible Apple calibrated the Apple TV for an OLED screen. All I know is that DV on ATV by default doesn’t come close to putting out peak nits on this TV.

For what it’s worth, I reported this issue (dull colors) to Apple and they replied that they didn’t see a significant difference between Apple TV and native apps. Doing a Google search for “Apple TV Dolby Vision dark” returns a lot of hits for Sony TVs.

Edit:

I found a fairly plausible explanation as to what’s happening. It’s written for the 8AF, but probably applies to the 930E as well. Basically it comes down to the Apple TV trying to dynamically scale the HDR based on the metadata and the peak brightness of the TV without actually knowing what that is. Also being locked to a single picture mode.

https://www.reddit.com/r/appletv/com...medium=ios_app

Edit 2:

I found another post which suggests the TV isn’t switching to the correct HDR range with the Apple TV Dolby Vision signal. The poster suggests changing the HDR range to Full when viewing DV content on the ATV.

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/andr...5/td-p/2518563

I set my Apple TV to be 4K SDR and set the match dynamic range to on. That way the menus and regular content are in their normal SDR and DV and HDR turn on when needed. Only downside to this is the flicker when switching between ranges, but that’s a small price to pay for me.

I will try the Full HDR trick later.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
jimmyhigh; solzun; zachfeen; johnerz

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page