**OFFICIAL** 2017 SONY XBR-X930E (Owner's Thread)(No Price Talk) - Page 363 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 15239Likes

post #10861 of 10895 Old 12-27-2019, 11:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morac View Post
ChromeCast (and most of the other Google apps) now update through the Google Play Store as of Oreo. If you don’t have automatic updates enabled, you should do that as I’ve found Chromecast works very reliably now.

As for security updates, the version of Linux on the TV has been EOL since 2017, so I wouldn’t expect any security updates for that. Many Oreo updates are pushed via the Google Play Store. Any other security patches would need to be written by Sony and pushed out as a software update. Sony doesn’t have a great track record for that. See Sony”s response to two known denial of service attacks for Bravia TV’s, which basically boils down to “don’t connect the TV directly to the Internet” (note that IPv6 bypasses most router firewalls, so Sony’s response is wrong) and “no data loss occurs so they won’t patch if”:

https://www.darkmatter.ae/xen1thlabs...ity-xl-19-013/
https://www.darkmatter.ae/xen1thlabs...btv-xl-19-014/

Basically the TV will never be secure, but it’s a fairly low value target for hackers. If you want to secure the TV, run some kind of security firewall on your router or disconnect the TV from your network.
I have auto updates turned on and it still doesn't work for me. It worked fine for me before the July tv firmware update, which appears to be the most recent judging by the Sony website. Is there a newer update that's been pushed to the tv through auto updates? The only thing that worked was when I cleared data and cache of the chromecast app and then reset the tv. It worked for about a day before not working again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10862 of 10895 Old 12-31-2019, 08:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Anyone here also have a Sony Z9F soundbar?

I have an XBR65X930E and I have a new Sony Z9F soundbar and subwoofer and rears being delivered on Friday.
The 930E has one ARC hdmi and also an optical audio input. Is connecting through ARC the only way to get ATMOS.
What are the pros and cons of connecting through ARC or optical audio in?
Should I also connect my Apple TV4K to an HDMI in on the soundbar, then everything out to the ARC input?
Also, is it true that if I only connect the soundbar via ARC I will no longer be able to listen through the tv speakers?
The wireless sub and rears are matching set to the soundbar, so I assume connecting should be easy with a Sony tv.
Thanks for any tips, advice and comments.
post #10863 of 10895 Old 01-02-2020, 02:40 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Not sure what happened, but yesterday any dolby vision show off of the tv apps, netflix , disney, etc is having serious playback issues, where as the the screen is constantly changing brightness and contrast. As if the tv doesn't know how to render dolby vision at all times. Ugh its so annoying.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10864 of 10895 Old 01-02-2020, 05:15 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droozy View Post
Not sure what happened, but yesterday any dolby vision show off of the tv apps, netflix , disney, etc is having serious playback issues, where as the the screen is constantly changing brightness and contrast. As if the tv doesn't know how to render dolby vision at all times. Ugh its so annoying.
My set does this every now and then, a restart will normally fix it. Good luck.

4KTV: Sony 65 930E Receiver: Pioneer VSX-LX101 7.2 Channel ATMOS/DTS-X Speakers: JAMO S 807(2) Fronts, Andrew Jones SP-FS52 (2) Rears, Center:SP-C22, Klipsch R-14SA Atmos Subwoofer: SVS PB-3000 Subwoofer 4K Player and Misc: Panasonic UB-820, Sony X700, Sony X800, Samsung UBD-K8500, Comcast Arris AX014ANM and Extreme 150 Internet and PS4 (6TB Edition)
post #10865 of 10895 Old 01-08-2020, 09:48 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I'm having trouble getting audio to play out of my external speakers when I use my smart TV's apps like Netflix, Hulu, etc.

I have a Denon x4500h.

So I have an HDMI connected to the TV's HDMI ARC input and the AVR's Monitor 1 HDMI input. I have my cable box connected via HDMI to the cbl/sat input. I have my PS4 connected to the Game HDMI input. That's pretty much all that's connected to the AVR in terms of inputs.

I have HDMI Control set to On in my AVR settings. I have Sound set to External Speakers in the TV's settings. Still, the only sound I get with my external speakers is through the PS4 or with cable through the cable box.

What could I be missing here? Any ideas?
post #10866 of 10895 Old 01-08-2020, 09:54 PM

Oh, I would also mention, when I go to Bravia Sync, nothing, including my AVR, shows up there.

I've tried clearing the data and cache for the two Bravia Sync apps and that External Input Devices app. I'm power cycled the TV and AVR multiple times. I'm using an HDMI 2.1 cord.

Is this probably just the Sony updates breaking my ARC?
post #10867 of 10895 Old 01-09-2020, 04:44 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkey_nuggets View Post
I'm having trouble getting audio to play out of my external speakers when I use my smart TV's apps like Netflix, Hulu, etc.

I have a Denon x4500h.

So I have an HDMI connected to the TV's HDMI ARC input and the AVR's Monitor 1 HDMI input.

If this is correct, try connecting the TV's HDMI ARC input to the AVR's Monitor 1 HDMI output (not input).
post #10868 of 10895 Old 01-09-2020, 05:41 AM

Pardon, I misspoke. It is in fact connected to the Monitor 1 output on the AVR.
post #10869 of 10895 Old 01-09-2020, 07:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:

I have a Denon x4500h.

So I have an HDMI connected to the TV's HDMI ARC input and the AVR's Monitor 1 HDMI input. I have my cable box connected via HDMI to the cbl/sat input. I have my PS4 connected to the Game HDMI input. That's pretty much all that's connected to the AVR in terms of inputs.

I have HDMI Control set to On in my AVR settings. I have Sound set to External Speakers in the TV's settings. Still, the only sound I get with my external speakers is through the PS4 or with cable through the cable box.

Try running a Toslink cable from the TV to the AVR and designating that Cable as primary for the that specific activity - i.e. using the internal apps.

post #10870 of 10895 Old 01-09-2020, 08:46 AM

I'm sure running an optical cable would work, but is there really no way to get the ARC to work on this TV?
post #10871 of 10895 Old 01-09-2020, 11:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
I'm sure running an optical cable would work, but is there really no way to get the ARC to work on this TV?
If I recall correctly - there was a previous firmware update that was supposed to have fixed this issue. I never bothered to investigate further - since my toslink connection took care of the audio feed for the internal apps. The only downside for me is that in the rare event that I rent a Vudu Atmos enabled film - I only get Dolby D+ My workaround for that is to use the Vudu app on my Sony 700 4k UHD player.

post #10872 of 10895 Old 01-09-2020, 01:51 PM

I need to check on my TV's firmware then. I have only ever received updates OTA. Maybe there's an update I never received OTA that I can download and install via USB somewhere.
post #10873 of 10895 Old 01-10-2020, 07:44 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsantafe View Post
If I recall correctly - there was a previous firmware update that was supposed to have fixed this issue. I never bothered to investigate further - since my toslink connection took care of the audio feed for the internal apps. The only downside for me is that in the rare event that I rent a Vudu Atmos enabled film - I only get Dolby D+ My workaround for that is to use the Vudu app on my Sony 700 4k UHD player.
That issue was affecting us Yamaha receiver owners and I was able to go into the HDMI settings to make it work everytime. That was fixed with firmware before v6.6520. Sony's website does not show the older firmware's.

TV - Sony 65XBR-930e | Receiver - Yamaha RX-V577 | 4K player - Sony UBP-X700 | PS3 | Router - Asus RT-AC86U | SVS SB-2000 sub | Paradigm Monitor SE 6000F L/R | Paradigm Monitor SE 2000C center | Paradigm ADP-170 v.3 rears
post #10874 of 10895 Old 01-10-2020, 10:37 AM

Yeah, it looks like I'm currently on the latest firmware version for the TV, so I guess I'm out of luck there.

Would factory reseting the TV do anything? I don't really want to mess with that unless there's a significant chance of success.
post #10875 of 10895 Old 01-11-2020, 06:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2028 Post(s)
Liked: 1291
Quote:
Yeah, it looks like I'm currently on the latest firmware version for the TV, so I guess I'm out of luck there.

Would factory reseting the TV do anything? I don't really want to mess with that unless there's a significant chance of success.

It might but write down all your settings for each input first.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 2-32GB 5th Gens | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2019 | Logitech Harmony Elite
post #10876 of 10895 Old 01-11-2020, 11:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:

I have a Denon x4500h.

Maybe dumb questions but it wasn't mentioned so I'll ask...
In addition to HDMI Control, does the Denon have ARC set to On? And does the TV have Bravia Sync Control (I think that's what it was called in Menu-->External Inputs) set to On?

If you haven't yet tried it, maybe turn ^^^those^^^ off and set the TV's sound back to internal speakers. Disconnect the Denon from the TV, then unplug the power cord for a few minutes. Also reboot (not just power cycle) the TV, or unplug the power cord for a moment. Re-connect HDMI, power up, turn the Denon settings back on, and turn the TV's back.

While not the same, I have a Sony Z9D and a Marantz (pretty much a Denon twin) and do get sound from the TV's apps fine with ARC. I don't explicitly set sound to external speakers though, I let it change automatically when I power the AVR on or off.
post #10877 of 10895 Old 01-14-2020, 12:31 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
It's been 6 months since the last update for this tv right? 07/02/19
post #10878 of 10895 Old 01-14-2020, 03:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoboBrazil View Post
It's been 6 months since the last update for this tv right? 07/02/19

Yep.

BoboBrazil likes this.

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 2-32GB 5th Gens | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2019 | Logitech Harmony Elite
post #10879 of 10895 Old 01-15-2020, 10:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I've never done of any the Oreo updates due to the bugs in the first few versions of the Oreo update (I have auto updates turned off). The last update I did was to get Dolby Vision. Is the current update that's available stable and worth installing? I have no issues with my TV currently.

Mark

"We named the dog Indiana."
Directv since '03
post #10880 of 10895 Old 01-15-2020, 12:25 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana627 View Post
I've never done of any the Oreo updates due to the bugs in the first few versions of the Oreo update (I have auto updates turned off). The last update I did was to get Dolby Vision. Is the current update that's available stable and worth installing? I have no issues with my TV currently.
Yes it is. Much cleaner interface and snappier if that was an issue that bothered you. As for any major improvements you will get the latest apps etc. As for visual and audio improvements it’s hard to tell because it already had great picture quality.

I have not encountered any issues for what it’s worth.
post #10881 of 10895 Old 01-15-2020, 12:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffo11 View Post
Yes it is. Much cleaner interface and snappier if that was an issue that bothered you. As for any major improvements you will get the latest apps etc. As for visual and audio improvements it’s hard to tell because it already had great picture quality.

I have not encountered any issues for what it’s worth.
Yes definitely a great picture. I've got the 55" connected to a Denon 2313CI. The TV interface can be a little slow sometimes. But I'm usually of the 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' frame of mind and not sure upgrading for minor speed improvement is worth it.

Mark

"We named the dog Indiana."
Directv since '03
post #10882 of 10895 Old 01-16-2020, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsandvb View Post
Quote:

I have a Denon x4500h.

Maybe dumb questions but it wasn't mentioned so I'll ask...
In addition to HDMI Control, does the Denon have ARC set to On? And does the TV have Bravia Sync Control (I think that's what it was called in Menu-->External Inputs) set to On?

If you haven't yet tried it, maybe turn ^^^those^^^ off and set the TV's sound back to internal speakers. Disconnect the Denon from the TV, then unplug the power cord for a few minutes. Also reboot (not just power cycle) the TV, or unplug the power cord for a moment. Re-connect HDMI, power up, turn the Denon settings back on, and turn the TV's back.

While not the same, I have a Sony Z9D and a Marantz (pretty much a Denon twin) and do get sound from the TV's apps fine with ARC. I don't explicitly set sound to external speakers though, I let it change automatically when I power the AVR on or off.
I tried all that and still no luck. The TV just won't recognize the AVR.

The AVR has a setting for HDMI Control and a setting for ARC. Both are turned on.

I seem to remember having issues with this TV and syncing devices before I even got the AVR. I used to have my PS4 connected to the TV using the ARC HDMI input and I was able to turn the TV on by turn my PS4 on and navigate the PS4 using the TV remote, but then one day it just stopped working and the TV stopped finding the PS4 in the Bravia Sync settings. Very odd.
post #10883 of 10895 Old 01-16-2020, 11:23 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 5
I had the same issue happen to me - but that was because I was fiddling around a bit too much with the tv.

I essentially factory reset all my audio settings, Disabled and re-enabled bravia and it got back to working.

Also I turned the audio output to Auto 2 vs PCM - which only does 2.1.

Last edited by indocti discant; 01-17-2020 at 10:49 AM.
post #10884 of 10895 Old 01-18-2020, 06:36 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Arc issues

Quote:
I have had my 930E since Feb of 2017. I have not had any ARC issues at all. It works fine for me. My problem is my remote seems to have a mind of its own. sometimes it works, most time it does not.
post #10885 of 10895 Old 01-18-2020, 08:16 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flygaff View Post
Quote:
I have had my 930E since Feb of 2017. I have not had any ARC issues at all. It works fine for me. My problem is my remote seems to have a mind of its own. sometimes it works, most time it does not.
I don’t use ARC but always have issues with my harmony remote not turning the tv on or off so I have to keep the stock remote out unfortunately but it always works.

Sony XBR-65X930E (w/luminoodle)/Sony UBP-X800M2/Apple TV 4K/PS4 Pro/Xbox One X
Denon AVR-X6200W(Surround/Height)/Emotiva XPA-3(L/C/R)/AC Infinity Aircom T8 x2
DefTech SM 65 x3(L/C/R)/DefTech PM 1000 x4(Surround)/DefTech DI5.5R x4(Atmos/DTS X)
SVS PC-2000 x2(Subs)/Panamax M4300-PM(Main) & MD2(Subs)/Logitech Harmony Elite
post #10886 of 10895 Old 01-18-2020, 10:20 AM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
I tried all that and still no luck. The TV just won't recognize the AVR.

The AVR has a setting for HDMI Control and a setting for ARC. Both are turned on.

I seem to remember having issues with this TV and syncing devices before I even got the AVR. I used to have my PS4 connected to the TV using the ARC HDMI input and I was able to turn the TV on by turn my PS4 on and navigate the PS4 using the TV remote, but then one day it just stopped working and the TV stopped finding the PS4 in the Bravia Sync settings. Very odd.
After updating my set with the first Oreo release over a year ago I started having the issue of the AVR not switching to ARC for the TV's apps (Netflix, Spotify, YouTube, etc.). I spent hours on the phone with Level 1 and 2 support to no avail and was eventually passed on to the Engineering team that was trying to fix the software. I wasn't new to ARC ... I'd been using it for years with older Sony sets connected to Onkyo and Denon AVRs. ARC worked perfectly with my current Yamaha RX-v581 and the x930e pre-Oreo just as it had with the Samsung JU7100 which the Sony x930e replaced. In case you're wondering, yes, I did factory reset the x930e many times following the initial Oreo update and after every mini-update since.

While subsequent Oreo updates did improve the situation, I still occasionally have the issue. It doesn't happen if the set goes directly to the "Home" screen when powering on. It only occurs when switching from an HDMI source (e.g., cable TV, Blue-ray player, AppleTV, etc.) to the TV's "Home" screen. Apparently it results from some x930e sets with Oreo not sending a proper signal to the AVR to switch input to the ARC channel. The switch should occur as soon as you go to the TV's "Home" screen. While several people with Yamaha AVRs have reported the problem in this thread, users of other AVR brands have also reported this Oreo-ARC issue. I've stopped expecting a fix from Sony, so this is how I manage it:

When hitting the "Home" button on the remote to use one of the x930e's apps and the AVR doesn't switch to ARC input from the TV, I unplug the ARC cable from the AVR for 10 seconds and then reattach it. Without fail this signals the AVR that audio is coming from the TV via ARC and gets the AVR and the TV working together as they should. I've also found that unplugging the ARC cable from the TV instead of from the AVR sometimes requires repeating the action two or three times before the proper connection is established. Hope this helps.

TVs: Sony XBR65X930E (2017), v8.0.0 (6.6510) / Samsung UN50JU7100 (2015) w/ IA02 panel, sw v.1530.1
AVR: Yamaha RX-v581, sw v.2.65
Speakers 5.1.2: Polk Audio RM6750 (surround) + Pioneer SP-T22A-LR Atmos height
post #10887 of 10895 Old 01-18-2020, 11:13 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I have the same problem with a Marantz 6011. I have found that power cycling the AVR fixes the issue for me.
post #10888 of 10895 Old 01-18-2020, 07:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked: 103
I have a Sony UBP-X800M2 hooked up to both my 930E and my Onkyo AVR via 2 HDMI cables as my Onkyo doesn’t support 4K.

Any time I pause and resume the Blu-ray the TV switches my AVR to the TV/ARC input. It’s really annoying. Any idea how to stop that short of disabling Bravia Sync or disconnecting the ARC HDMI cable?
post #10889 of 10895 Old Yesterday, 12:56 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 23
My 930e logs into a strangers Netflix account on its own. The TV has been factory reset several times but it still manages to find this account somehow. The TV was purchased new at Best Buy. Also I live alone so no one else is logging in from my household. I even seen this same account pop up on my 900e.

Has anyone one else experienced this with their television?
post #10890 of 10895 Old Yesterday, 06:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majcric View Post
My 930e logs into a strangers Netflix account on its own. The TV has been factory reset several times but it still manages to find this account somehow. The TV was purchased new at Best Buy. Also I live alone so no one else is logging in from my household. I even seen this same account pop up on my 900e.

Has anyone one else experienced this with their television?

That is issue, while odd, would be tied to your NF app account not the Sony. Have you tried logging into the Netflix portal and poke around to see if a unknown profile was created somehow?

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
jimmyhigh; solzun; zachfeen; johnerz

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page