Samsung MU8000 (No Price Talk) - Page 15 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 978Likes

post #421 of 1541 Old 12-05-2017, 05:27 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPowers View Post
The whole Point is a single remote so the Soundbar will turn on/off automatically when the TV is turned on/off. Worked on my old Samsung 55"
I use optical to my Samsung Soundbar and when I turn the TV off it turns the Soundbar off as well. My 8000 recognized my soundbar immediately when I bought the TV a few weeks ago. Should note my Samsung Soundbar is brand new and the remote it came with is Bluetooth.

Gamertag: Quicksilver1663

Last edited by Poolshark69; 12-05-2017 at 05:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 1541 Old 12-06-2017, 10:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepepaco1980 View Post
the clouding faded away after few days, I massaged it a little bit, and also switched the legs to the inner positions, that helped a lot.
today I don't see any clouding at all, only the normal blooming on high contrast scenes, but I think that's "Normal" as per Rtings reviews. thanks.
That make sense with the legs as the cloudings is the worst directly above them!
post #423 of 1541 Old 12-06-2017, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 804 Post(s)
Liked: 408
Does this TV have auto input switching? One thing I love about my 940d is that as soon as I turn on the PS4, or the 4KBD it switches. I'm guessing it's simply detecting the new video motion from the input and decides it's convenient to just switch for you automatically. It is, and I love it. So does this TV do that?

Upstairs - Sony 75x940e: soundbar - Klipsch R-20B
Basement - BenQ HT3050: screen - Elite 125" motorized ATS: speakers - RF-7IIx2, RC-64II, RS-41IIx2, RS-42IIx2, AVR Denon x4000 -- subs PC-12NSD + RW12D
Bedroom - LG 65eg9600: soundbar - LG SH3K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #424 of 1541 Old 12-06-2017, 12:50 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teremei View Post
Does this TV have auto input switching? One thing I love about my 940d is that as soon as I turn on the PS4, or the 4KBD it switches. I'm guessing it's simply detecting the new video motion from the input and decides it's convenient to just switch for you automatically. It is, and I love it. So does this TV do that?
I don’t believe it does but someone near their set may be able to give a better answer. I do know one thing it does that is great, with one remote it will turn on the previous source automatically when you turn the tv on and you can program it to turn on and off your equipment from the home menu. Works great with powering on my directv, Xbox and PlayStation, also with navigating the menus of each system. One thing I thought I’d never use and find myself using everyday is the voice search. Being able to ask my tv “what’s on espn” and it pop up an onscreen guide is pretty neat. It’s kinda like Kinect for Xbox, great little feature to not have to use my directv remote.
post #425 of 1541 Old 12-06-2017, 02:49 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 227
I picked up a UN49MU8000 for our bedroom on Black Friday. So far the set seems to be working okay. The only issue I am having is with the Samsung remote. It controls most aspects of the Roku Premiere I have connected to one of the HDMI inputs, except the directional ring does not seem to work properly to navigate within the Amazon video app on the Roku. Is anyone else having this issue? I was hoping to avoid buying another Harmony remote for this simple setup if the supplied remote handled most of our needs.
post #426 of 1541 Old 12-06-2017, 04:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Muldrow View Post
I don’t believe it does but someone near their set may be able to give a better answer. I do know one thing it does that is great, with one remote it will turn on the previous source automatically when you turn the tv on and you can program it to turn on and off your equipment from the home menu. Works great with powering on my directv, Xbox and PlayStation, also with navigating the menus of each system. One thing I thought I’d never use and find myself using everyday is the voice search. Being able to ask my tv “what’s on espn” and it pop up an onscreen guide is pretty neat. It’s kinda like Kinect for Xbox, great little feature to not have to use my directv remote.
Thank you for the answer. I only had a glimmer of hope I could convince sony for a refund on my 940d. I wanted the 82" size increase. But the good news is I got a brand new 940e on the way. A larger than 75" screen is definitely in my future though. So happy to see even larger sizes enter our price range.

Basement - BenQ HT3050: screen - Elite 125" motorized ATS: speakers - RF-7IIx2, RC-64II, RS-41IIx2, RS-42IIx2, AVR Denon x4000 -- subs PC-12NSD + RW12D
post #427 of 1541 Old 12-07-2017, 03:00 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi all, I just got the 82MU800D from Costco. The picture is very good for the price/size (not many options over 80"). However, having an issue with the remote. I have an older Denon receiver hooked up via optical out. I set up the receiver in the Universal Remote menu, and when it tests power on/off, it functions correctly and concludes setup. I then assigned my cable box and Apple TV to use the receiver as well. While the smart remote is able to control the volume for the receiver, it never turns the receiver on or off. Is there anything else I need to do in order to get the remote to turn the receiver on and off when the TV turns on/off?
post #428 of 1541 Old 12-07-2017, 11:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalDave View Post
Hi all, I just got the 82MU800D from Costco. The picture is very good for the price/size (not many options over 80"). However, having an issue with the remote. I have an older Denon receiver hooked up via optical out. I set up the receiver in the Universal Remote menu, and when it tests power on/off, it functions correctly and concludes setup. I then assigned my cable box and Apple TV to use the receiver as well. While the smart remote is able to control the volume for the receiver, it never turns the receiver on or off. Is there anything else I need to do in order to get the remote to turn the receiver on and off when the TV turns on/off?
Doesn't it have to be connected via ARC for that function? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Gamertag: Dominikin
PS3 username: Dominikin
post #429 of 1541 Old 12-07-2017, 01:32 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well I pulled the trigger on the UN82MU8000FXZA and got it in two days ago.
The picture looks REALLY good under most conditions, still playing around with the calibration to get it to best suit what I like.

I will say with a screen this big, I see A LOT of things in movies/shows (like faked CGI, animations, etc) that I'd probably otherwise have difficulty seeing on a smaller screen. For example I was watching John Wick last night on it, and the "puffs" of blood on gunshots stood out as pretty fake looking. On a smaller screen, never really paid much attention to it.

The one thing I can't seem to figure out is I get some choppiness in content, especially fast moving. I have tried everything from amped up Truemotion and HDR, but still get flavors of it. The slow moving and stationary sharpness is excellent, the motion oriented things (as others have alluded to on here) have a judder and skippy feeling. It's almost like a lagged stream that skips. Any chance it could be an HDMI cable issue? I think I'm using the one provided from my XBOX ONE (original). If it's not that, I'm not sure what it could be. I'm running the latest firmware. No other major issues to complain about at all, but that skipping of frames does jump out and I'd like to figure out how I can resolve it. Any ideas?
post #430 of 1541 Old 12-07-2017, 03:40 PM
Advanced Member

I like this TV but for the life of me I cannot figure out how to get some display information on the screen. I watched some YouTube videos of other model Samsungs and they say yo go to the source and using the smart remote click the source and wait 2-3 seconds and a banner will drop down from the top and show the input signal resolution. Well that is a no go. Also the colored dots button brings up an overlay with Info but that does nothing either.

Is this a function that was lost through the myriad of firmware updates from Samsung? It seems pretty downright silly to not have a fairly basic function in the world of 4k TV's.

post #431 of 1541 Old 12-07-2017, 03:44 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krieger119 View Post
Doesn't it have to be connected via ARC for that function? Please correct me if I'm wrong.
I suppose that's possible, but I didn't believe so based on information I read in the manual and other user accounts online. I know it is able to control devices via IR, and like I said it even powers on and off the receiver during the device setup.

However, from messing with the remote a bit more, I can see I probably need to just get a Harmony and call it a day.

For others on the fence about this set, this TV (the 82" UN82MU800D or 8000), for the size, is much much better than I expected it to be. I actually bought this set for my mother - my own set is an LG OLED65E7P, and I find this set a bit threatening. I'm not certain the picture quality improvement on the LG, which is very real, outweighs the sheer size & performance of this unit. There are some lighting and refinement issues I can nitpick, but for the size it is very very nice and a terrific value in my opinion. I'm a stickler for the little details, so the OLED is not going anywhere, but this TV is good enough that it would be a very tough decision if I were choosing between the two today.
dreaux likes this.

Last edited by SocalDave; 12-07-2017 at 03:49 PM.
post #432 of 1541 Old 12-08-2017, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teremei View Post
Thank you for the answer. I only had a glimmer of hope I could convince sony for a refund on my 940d. I wanted the 82" size increase. But the good news is I got a brand new 940e on the way. A larger than 75" screen is definitely in my future though. So happy to see even larger sizes enter our price range.
Try to sit closer to make up for the size and enjoy the better picture on your 940e
post #433 of 1541 Old 12-08-2017, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalDave View Post
I suppose that's possible, but I didn't believe so based on information I read in the manual and other user accounts online. I know it is able to control devices via IR, and like I said it even powers on and off the receiver during the device setup.

However, from messing with the remote a bit more, I can see I probably need to just get a Harmony and call it a day.

For others on the fence about this set, this TV (the 82" UN82MU800D or 8000), for the size, is much much better than I expected it to be. I actually bought this set for my mother - my own set is an LG OLED65E7P, and I find this set a bit threatening. I'm not certain the picture quality improvement on the LG, which is very real, outweighs the sheer size & performance of this unit. There are some lighting and refinement issues I can nitpick, but for the size it is very very nice and a terrific value in my opinion. I'm a stickler for the little details, so the OLED is not going anywhere, but this TV is good enough that it would be a very tough decision if I were choosing between the two today.
Yeah I have an MU82 and LG 65C6 and if I watch the MU right after watching the same thing on the C6 im disappointed, if I havent used my C6 in a while everything on the MU looks very impressive lol
post #434 of 1541 Old 12-08-2017, 03:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomenbass1 View Post
Try to sit closer to make up for the size and enjoy the better picture on your 940e
Oh I sometimes do haha I have a couch against the side wall I lay down on some times. Thanks! I will definitely be very happy with my 940e. I look on the bright side, it is a very bright TV for HDR and I got it as a free upgrade/replacement, and that will be nice. But the 82 samsung is a very nice TV too so enjoy your TVs everyone!

post #435 of 1541 Old 12-09-2017, 01:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Dimming Problem

Hi,

I'm from Brazil and have a 55MU8000 Samsung TV.
I watch a lot of american movies with portuguese subtitles and the dimming on this TV is horrible. Every time a subtittle pops up on dark scenes, the whole screen brightens up. When the subtittle is off, the picture turns darker. On and off, brighter and darker, it's very annoying. In HDR movies it's even worse.
All the ecological settings are off. I've tried all the local dimming options and it's not helping.
Any help or info to solve this problem would be really appreciate it.
Thanks,

Kleber Ancona
post #436 of 1541 Old 12-09-2017, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kancona View Post
Dimming Problem

Hi,

I'm from Brazil and have a 55MU8000 Samsung TV.
I watch a lot of american movies with portuguese subtitles and the dimming on this TV is horrible. Every time a subtittle pops up on dark scenes, the whole screen brightens up. When the subtittle is off, the picture turns darker. On and off, brighter and darker, it's very annoying. In HDR movies it's even worse.
All the ecological settings are off. I've tried all the local dimming options and it's not helping.
Any help or info to solve this problem would be really appreciate it.
Thanks,

Kleber Ancona
All you can do is turn local dimming to low to minimize it.
kancona likes this.
post #437 of 1541 Old 12-09-2017, 11:50 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 2
And try to turn backlight to 4 or 5 or so. I watch with bl at 3 at night on a 65mu8000.
kancona likes this.
post #438 of 1541 Old 12-10-2017, 01:05 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hi everyone!

I have 55MU8000 and I noticed a strange issue while playing the PS4 PRO. Several times during the game, the image disappears for 1-2 seconds and reappears - just like when we turn on HDR games. The image gets completely black, 1-2 seconds and the picture returns.
What could it be ? Something in the settings? I have the game mode enabled, the UHD option is enabled in the TV options...

Please help me

P.S. Sorry for my bad english...
post #439 of 1541 Old 12-10-2017, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guzzpower View Post
And try to turn backlight to 4 or 5 or so. I watch with bl at 3 at night on a 65mu8000.
Correct but on some HDR content it seems extra dim so higher can be needed. I usually run HDR with a backlight of 20 so it blasts the highlights but yeah you have a choice of one or the other...nice bright highlights or blooming/bad blacks.
kancona likes this.
post #440 of 1541 Old 12-11-2017, 06:56 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polako View Post
Hi everyone!

I have 55MU8000 and I noticed a strange issue while playing the PS4 PRO. Several times during the game, the image disappears for 1-2 seconds and reappears - just like when we turn on HDR games. The image gets completely black, 1-2 seconds and the picture returns.
What could it be ? Something in the settings? I have the game mode enabled, the UHD option is enabled in the TV options...

Please help me

P.S. Sorry for my bad english...
This happens for me only upon first start up. Usually only once or twice. Then done. I also have 1151 update. Don't remember it with 1147???? I have HDR turned on also..

Samsung UN82MU8000 4K UHD TV | Yamaha RX-A2070 9.2 AVR with Klipsch R-15M L&R and R-34C front stage speakers | Klipsch G-12 surrounds | 4 Atrium 5 front & rear Tops | Dual BIC RtR EV-1200 Subs | 5.1.4 Atmos system | Samsung UBD M9500 BD Player | FireTV 4K | Logitech Harmony 750 | TIVO BOLT OTA 849000 | AppleTV 4K |
post #441 of 1541 Old 12-11-2017, 10:59 AM

So I've had a few days with the 82" now, and have replaced my HDMI cable with a new one. I was a dummy and actually had my Xbox 360 HDMI cable plugged into the TV. Don't believe it was a high speed HDMI cable, or could have been damaged over time, but after replacing I haven't seen the skipping issue like I was before.

Distance viewing wise, I'm around 16' and feel 82" is a great size for this distance. I was afraid it would be too small, and would be honest if I felt it was, but truly...at least for my preferences, it seems like it's perfect. Could go bigger (maybe in the future), could even go a little smaller to the 75" (but I wouldn't want to)...however there's no issue whatsoever viewing it as is. It's big enough that you have to noticeably move your eyes/head to see details doing from one side of the tv to the other.

4K streams look awesome, as one would expect. Fast moving scenes see a little bit of jitter and fragmenting when I'm right on top of the screen (< 8 feet), but viewing 12-16ft you can't really see it at all. I binged Season 2 of Stranger Things on Netflix and it was a pleasure to watch...crisp and clean. ST2 from what I understand is recorded with 4K cameras, so no upscaling. Other 4K sources I've seen may have been upscaled and resulted in that minor jitter/fragmenting.

HD cable TV channels look good but not great. Fast moving scenes show more noticeable jitter and fragmenting, but again at 12-16 ft, it's not a big deal. It only feels like a problem because of how good 4K looks in comparison. You start to nit pick the details.

Standard def cable TV channels as expected looks like crap. They're watchable, but not fun to watch.

Ultimately, 4K viewing will spoil your eyes. This is my first 4K TV and I'm crazy observant with details, so I notice the differences easily on things that others might not see or might not care about. And like most things, when you don't have something better to compare it next to (i.e. 4K vs 1080 vs Standard)...you notice far less and probably won't be bothered by it. However when you do have it to compare, it really makes you not want to watch anything but the best (cmon more 4K content, especially Sports streaming!!!).

I can say the TV display is beautiful with 4K, and because it can display it well, then the poor viewing issues are likely an indicator of the quality of the stream you are running. Things on a screen of this size are really magnified. Pixels aren't condensed and the lower quality streams tend to expand the pixels, blend colors and show aberrations that would be more difficult to see in smaller screens (think of how a non-high res photo looks on an iphone vs a 27" monitor). So it seems the only thing to do is enjoy the hell out of 4K and wait for the world to catch up with more content! The TV seems fully capable of accommodating it well and in the interim I'll have to avoid being nitpicky about the 720/1080 streams. Without question, for the pricepoint, this TV is excellent!
post #442 of 1541 Old 12-11-2017, 02:28 PM
Advanced Member

Does anyone have Netflix with the Ultra HD package level? I am watching Planet Earth 2 in Ultra 4K HD (whatever that means for netflix) and my Samsung is not going into HDR mode. I am 99% sure Planet Earth 2 is in 4k and HDR
If I switch to Iron Fist on Netflix which is HDR only from what I can tell the Picture type switches to Standard HDR.
Also I added Bias lighting to test things out using the MU8000 USB port and wondering if there is a way to control the port at all? When I turn the TV off the lighting stays powered.
Thanks

post #443 of 1541 Old 12-11-2017, 05:45 PM

What kind of wall mount can you use? How slim can the wall mount be? 1"?
post #444 of 1541 Old 12-11-2017, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolshark69 View Post
Does anyone have Netflix with the Ultra HD package level? I am watching Planet Earth 2 in Ultra 4K HD (whatever that means for netflix) and my Samsung is not going into HDR mode. I am 99% sure Planet Earth 2 is in 4k and HDR
If I switch to Iron Fist on Netflix which is HDR only from what I can tell the Picture type switches to Standard HDR.
Also I added Bias lighting to test things out using the MU8000 USB port and wondering if there is a way to control the port at all? When I turn the TV off the lighting stays powered.
Thanks
I have a bias lighting strip connected to my tv as well. When I power off the tv it stays on for maybe two or three minutes after then turns off. I didn’t change any settings on the tv either. Seems like the USB port powers down on my 75 after a few minutes
post #445 of 1541 Old 12-12-2017, 07:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Muldrow View Post
I have a bias lighting strip connected to my tv as well. When I power off the tv it stays on for maybe two or three minutes after then turns off. I didn’t change any settings on the tv either. Seems like the USB port powers down on my 75 after a few minutes
Thanks Sean. I guess I was not patient enough. Appreciate the info.

post #446 of 1541 Old 12-12-2017, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maelstromm View Post
What kind of wall mount can you use? How slim can the wall mount be? 1"?
Check out Sanus' Mount Finder for some options

http://www.sanus.com/en_US/mountfinder/#!step1
post #447 of 1541 Old 12-12-2017, 08:29 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by XstatiK View Post
Check out Sanus' Mount Finder for some options

http://www.sanus.com/en_US/mountfinder/#!step1
Make sure you got all 4 of the spacers with your TV, with the curve of the back of the TV it's a must. Mine only had 2, but the store I got it from had a few in the back from the displays they gave me.
post #448 of 1541 Old 12-12-2017, 02:24 PM

Is it just me or has the contrast improved with the last update?

Also we are getting Amazon HDR10+ tomorrow! Netflix might follow along at some point too!

https://www.engadget.com/2017/12/12/amazon-prime-video-to-stream-in-hdr10-on-samsung-tvs/

Last edited by Boomenbass1; 12-12-2017 at 03:08 PM.
post #449 of 1541 Old 12-12-2017, 08:15 PM

I have the option of buying the samsung 82 uncgmu8000 or the JU7100 85 inch for similar price. The price doesn't make a difference to me at this point between the two. Which is the better set?
Mu8000 is newer, but i do like the 3 extra inches.

any suggestions?
post #450 of 1541 Old 12-13-2017, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coumadin View Post
I have the option of buying the samsung 82 uncgmu8000 or the JU7100 85 inch for similar price. The price doesn't make a difference to me at this point between the two. Which is the better set?
Mu8000 is newer, but i do like the 3 extra inches.

any suggestions?
Not sure I could justify getting a tv that’s two years older and doesn’t support full HDR for 3” inches but to each their own. I’ve heard the JU7100 is a great tv but so is the MU and in all respects is probably better in every way but 3” smaller
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
2017 model , high dynamic range , Samsung

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page