Samsung MU8000 (No Price Talk) - Page 22 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 978Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #631 of 1542 Old 02-05-2018, 04:08 AM
Advanced Member
 
Quicksilv3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Orangeville Canada
Posts: 863
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2silber View Post
Nonetheless, doesn't that bring us right back to why we should expect to be able to use HDMI ARC? If HDMI ARC was working properly, wouldn't it output a Dolby Digital + signal?
The tv no matter what can only output Dolby Digital 5.1 via ARC it can't do DD+. If you want DD+ or higher, you need to use a different source. The hardware of the tv limits it's audio output as do 99.99% of ALL tv sets.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
Chuck666 likes this.

tv: Samsung UN75MU800, Receiver: Denon AVR 730H, speakers: 4x M&K S-1B and M&K S85c for center, sub: MKsound V12 HTPC, Samsung UBP-K8500, Rogers Digital PVR, Chromecast Ultra
Quicksilv3r is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #632 of 1542 Old 02-05-2018, 04:10 AM
Advanced Member
 
Quicksilv3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Orangeville Canada
Posts: 863
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by IPHANT0MI View Post
Yep! I just watched this show and man it was bad... Are some LCD/LED worse than others? Because "Quicksilv3r" above said he was able to rid of the issue by turning off Auto Motion Plus...

That does not work for me.
Yup auto motion plus dialed all the way to 0 or 3 and 3 and I don't get trails or "ghosting". If I watch hockey, I do notice it a bit

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

tv: Samsung UN75MU800, Receiver: Denon AVR 730H, speakers: 4x M&K S-1B and M&K S85c for center, sub: MKsound V12 HTPC, Samsung UBP-K8500, Rogers Digital PVR, Chromecast Ultra
Quicksilv3r is online now  
post #633 of 1542 Old 02-05-2018, 04:31 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: GA
Posts: 126
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Is it normal for the TV to loose all of its settings when the power is disconnected? I put in all the settings into my TV based on Rtings and I decided I would keep this TV so I rearranged all my stuff and when I hooked the TV back up, all of those settings were gone and I had to put them in again. Can I at least save them to a flash drive or something and restore them? That seems like a really bad design to loose everything if there's just a power outage.
91RS is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #634 of 1542 Old 02-05-2018, 05:15 PM
Newbie
 
xisruno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Since I have the MU8000 in 55" I thought I could ask this here.

The Samsung software has McAfee loaded. Does anyone activate this or is it not worth it?

I do not use the browser on the TV.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
xisruno is offline  
post #635 of 1542 Old 02-05-2018, 06:49 PM
Senior Member
 
benz5521's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 224
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I noticed some pretty decently bad blooming on amazon. Black screen with just the amazon logo in the middle. I imagine any edge lit tv will bloom in that situation but still.
benz5521 is offline  
post #636 of 1542 Old 02-06-2018, 08:14 AM
Advanced Member
 
SkyYYZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Hamilton, ON
Posts: 669
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilv3r View Post
The tv no matter what can only output Dolby Digital 5.1 via ARC it can't do DD+. If you want DD+ or higher, you need to use a different source. The hardware of the tv limits it's audio output as do 99.99% of ALL tv sets.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
Hardware was upgraded on 2016 sets and newer. MU models are capable of sending DD+ over ARC but the receiver (or soundbar in my case) must be capable as well.
SkyYYZ is offline  
post #637 of 1542 Old 02-06-2018, 10:22 AM
Member
 
Wheyman12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Got a 75mu8000 for a great price. I ordered from frys a few weeks ago but wont be delivered for another 3 weeks when we move houses. Kinda off topic, wondering if anyone knew the policy for that? Frys has a 30 day return,. but would that apply on the date of purchase or the date of delivery? Seems liek it should be delivery date but wasn't sure.
What is the general concensus on this tv? Seems like its not very popular based on this thread vs threads for other brands.
Wheyman12 is offline  
post #638 of 1542 Old 02-06-2018, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member
 
SkyYYZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Hamilton, ON
Posts: 669
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Price to performance? I am overall very pleased with the 55" set. You should contact Frys for a definitive answer regarding date of purchase vs delivery date.

Last edited by SkyYYZ; 02-06-2018 at 11:13 AM. Reason: typo
SkyYYZ is offline  
post #639 of 1542 Old 02-06-2018, 11:34 AM
Senior Member
 
benz5521's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 224
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheyman12 View Post
Got a 75mu8000 for a great price. I ordered from frys a few weeks ago but wont be delivered for another 3 weeks when we move houses. Kinda off topic, wondering if anyone knew the policy for that? Frys has a 30 day return,. but would that apply on the date of purchase or the date of delivery? Seems liek it should be delivery date but wasn't sure.
What is the general concensus on this tv? Seems like its not very popular based on this thread vs threads for other brands.
Its edgelit so its going to get a bad rap. Its a good tv that gets bright, has good contrast, and very good motion so good for sports and stuff. Its not going to have OLED blacks but for most content, especially if you watch a lot of cable or something and not just 4K Blu-ray itll work for just about anyone.
Chuck666 and SkyYYZ like this.
benz5521 is offline  
post #640 of 1542 Old 02-06-2018, 02:01 PM
Member
 
Tshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by IPHANT0MI View Post
Yep! I just watched this show and man it was bad... Are some LCD/LED worse than others? Because "Quicksilv3r" above said he was able to rid of the issue by turning off Auto Motion Plus...

That does not work for me.
When I got the television in August 2017 I tried many different settings in the Auto Motion Plus, but noticed little difference with this ghosting issue. My research again pointed to this being a problem with LED/LCD TVs due to the Hertz speed of the refresh rate. LED/LCD computer displays do not suffer this issue as much as they refresh much faster. Last month I had my Samsung MU8000 professionally calibrated and now I have to really look for the ghosting to see it. I think the improvement came from adjusting the white/contrast levels. The refresh rate is the same, only the contrast between the white/black of the cartoon is not as stark so the ghosting is less noticeable. While the Samsung MU8000's are pretty good out of the box, I still noticed a visual improvement with professional calibration for the lighting condition of my viewing area. Hope this helps.
Tshark is offline  
post #641 of 1542 Old 02-06-2018, 08:17 PM
Senior Member
 
Bill97Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 366
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I just got this TV and love it. Check out post #587 in this thread for my impressions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohe321 View Post
Thinking about pulling the trigger on a MU8000 82" now that the price is low before the new models come out.

Since I haven't been actively following the TV forum this last year as I have been so happy with my LG Oled, I am not up to speed with all the models and all their pros and cons as well as other factors that one might want to know, so if anyone could be so kind to give a quick summary about the 82" model and how it "stacks up", I'd be very grateful! Perhaps some things I should know about as potential problems or weaknesses, as well as any positives.

Seeing as my main use will be movies, series and gaming, it seems like it's a nice allrounder that will give a lot of image for the price, especially considering the large size of 82".
Bill97Z is offline  
post #642 of 1542 Old 02-06-2018, 08:42 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Colorado
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 7
There's a firmware update dated Feb. 2, 2018. Has anyone experienced problems after installing it? I'm waiting to install because I'm always reluctant to update firmware on a device that's behaving well.

Here's what the Samsung site says about this update:
- Model :MU6300, MU6500, MU7000, MU7500, MU8000, MU8500, MU9000, Q7F, Q7C, Q8C, Q9F, LS003
- Version : 1156.0
- Improved usability 1. Improved browser performance 2. Improved app performance 3. Improved stability 4. Improved usability of input devices
Uffizi is offline  
post #643 of 1542 Old 02-06-2018, 08:43 PM
Advanced Member
 
Quicksilv3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Orangeville Canada
Posts: 863
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uffizi View Post
There's a firmware update dated Feb. 2, 2018. Has anyone experienced problems after installing it? I'm waiting to install because I'm always reluctant to update firmware on a device that's behaving well.

Here's what the Samsung site says about this update:
- Model :MU6300, MU6500, MU7000, MU7500, MU8000, MU8500, MU9000, Q7F, Q7C, Q8C, Q9F, LS003
- Version : 1156.0
- Improved usability 1. Improved browser performance 2. Improved app performance 3. Improved stability 4. Improved usability of input devices
Newbs are paranoid lol. Just install it...

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
Chuck666 likes this.

tv: Samsung UN75MU800, Receiver: Denon AVR 730H, speakers: 4x M&K S-1B and M&K S85c for center, sub: MKsound V12 HTPC, Samsung UBP-K8500, Rogers Digital PVR, Chromecast Ultra
Quicksilv3r is online now  
post #644 of 1542 Old 02-06-2018, 11:07 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Colorado
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilv3r View Post
Newbs are paranoid lol. Just install it...

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
Quite the opposite. Experience has made me cautious. No noob here.
Uffizi is offline  
post #645 of 1542 Old 02-06-2018, 11:46 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tshark View Post
When I got the television in August 2017 I tried many different settings in the Auto Motion Plus, but noticed little difference with this ghosting issue. My research again pointed to this being a problem with LED/LCD TVs due to the Hertz speed of the refresh rate. LED/LCD computer displays do not suffer this issue as much as they refresh much faster. Last month I had my Samsung MU8000 professionally calibrated and now I have to really look for the ghosting to see it. I think the improvement came from adjusting the white/contrast levels. The refresh rate is the same, only the contrast between the white/black of the cartoon is not as stark so the ghosting is less noticeable. While the Samsung MU8000's are pretty good out of the box, I still noticed a visual improvement with professional calibration for the lighting condition of my viewing area. Hope this helps.

Good to know! I ended up replacing my set and with the new one you hardly noticed it! So it was an issue with the original one I got.

Question who did you go with for your calibration? Best buy? Other?
IPHANT0MI is offline  
post #646 of 1542 Old 02-07-2018, 05:39 AM
Advanced Member
 
SkyYYZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Hamilton, ON
Posts: 669
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uffizi View Post
There's a firmware update dated Feb. 2, 2018. Has anyone experienced problems after installing it? I'm waiting to install because I'm always reluctant to update firmware on a device that's behaving well.

Here's what the Samsung site says about this update:
- Model :MU6300, MU6500, MU7000, MU7500, MU8000, MU8500, MU9000, Q7F, Q7C, Q8C, Q9F, LS003
- Version : 1156.0
- Improved usability 1. Improved browser performance 2. Improved app performance 3. Improved stability 4. Improved usability of input devices
I can confirm that the Netflix app was updated and is now utilising available bandwidth. Prior to the update it would never bench higher than 25 Mbps, and now it correctly benchmarks over 70 Mbps. Caching is much faster for 4K/HDR content.
SkyYYZ is offline  
post #647 of 1542 Old 02-07-2018, 05:44 AM
Advanced Member
 
SkyYYZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Hamilton, ON
Posts: 669
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by xisruno View Post
Since I have the MU8000 in 55" I thought I could ask this here.

The Samsung software has McAfee loaded. Does anyone activate this or is it not worth it?

I do not use the browser on the TV.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
I've never used the antivirus app on any of my Samsung TVs or mobiles. I am aware it's there though.
xisruno likes this.
SkyYYZ is offline  
post #648 of 1542 Old 02-07-2018, 06:23 AM
Newbie
 
xisruno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyYYZ View Post
I've never used the antivirus app on any of my Samsung TVs or mobiles. I am aware it's there though.
After looking it does it's thing automatically. Didn't see a way to remove it so I guess it will stay. Don't think you have to have a subscription for it.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
xisruno is offline  
post #649 of 1542 Old 02-07-2018, 11:41 AM
Member
 
Sanookdi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 182
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 70
New MU8000 owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyYYZ View Post
I can confirm that the Netflix app was updated and is now utilising available bandwidth. Prior to the update it would never bench higher than 25 Mbps, and now it correctly benchmarks over 70 Mbps. Caching is much faster for 4K/HDR content.
I can confirm this too. Heavy bandwidth 4K HDR content such as Altered Carbon now load seamlessly and quality looks great from the get-go.

I've had this TV for about a week now and I'm very pleased with it. This is my secondary TV, so I wasn't looking for all the bells and whistles like my main LG B6 OLED TV, but for the price it does many things well. I have the 49-inch version, so while being a 60hz panel, I don't care much for SOE anyways and also don't plan on watching cinematic movies on this set.

4K SDR on this MU8000 looks awesome. My reference UHD show is the first episode of the Blacklist on Netflix. This episode has a good mix of dark and bright scenes, and the image quality of this show was almost as good as my OLED believe it or not. Almost

4K HDR is just okay on this set. Image quality is still good, just the highlights and color that you'd want for HDR isn't there. For most people in a dark environment it's pretty solid I guess, but when compared to my OLED it just doesn't "pop" as much. I know it may not be a fair comparison to OLED, but that's just how I see it. It's not "faux" HDR by any means, but it's true that if you don't have deep enough blacks, then you need higher nit output and much wider color-gamut to make up for that.

That said though, the black level on this TV is pretty impressive for an edge-lit TV. Inky blacks like OLED? No. Grey blacks like IPS panels? No. Just...black? Yes. Watching 4K YouTube videos that emphasize black level, I came away impressed. Was there blooming? Well, yes. Was it totally noticeable? No, not really.

Knock on wood but I have no light-bleed, flash-lighting or any noticeable uneven panel uniformity that I can see from my naked eye. Back when the KS8000 came out I had terrible light-bleed coming from the bottom of the panel so I was a little nervous when I got this similar looking TV. But it looks like they've improved upon the build quality of this set.

Speaking of build the TV looks great mounted! It is a beautiful looking TV and one of the reasons I bought it. Sure, I could've gotten a TV w/ better image quality, but aesthetics came into play as it's located in our living room and I wanted as minimal of a TV as I could get.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5785.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	541.1 KB
ID:	2357470   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5787.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	391.0 KB
ID:	2357472  

My Home theater Set-Up:
Sony XBR75X900E (Prior TVs included LG OLED65B6P, Samsung KS8000/8500, KU6300)
LG LAS465 2.1-Channel 300W Sound Bar w/ Wireless Subwoofer
Philips BDP7501 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray player with HDR support
Other TV: Sony XBR49X900E (Returned Samsung UN49MU8000FXZA)
Sanookdi is offline  
post #650 of 1542 Old 02-07-2018, 12:45 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Colorado
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyYYZ View Post
I can confirm that the Netflix app was updated and is now utilising available bandwidth. Prior to the update it would never bench higher than 25 Mbps, and now it correctly benchmarks over 70 Mbps. Caching is much faster for 4K/HDR content.
Thanks for the info.
Uffizi is offline  
post #651 of 1542 Old 02-07-2018, 01:21 PM
Senior Member
 
MrRoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chicagoland Area
Posts: 298
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I've had mine for almost a week. Love it. As long as you don't expect KS performance (I have the 55" KS8000 in another room) you will be extremely satisfied.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
MrRoy is online now  
post #652 of 1542 Old 02-08-2018, 05:00 AM
Advanced Member
 
Chuck666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Surprise, AZ
Posts: 552
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyYYZ View Post
I can confirm that the Netflix app was updated and is now utilising available bandwidth. Prior to the update it would never bench higher than 25 Mbps, and now it correctly benchmarks over 70 Mbps. Caching is much faster for 4K/HDR content.
How are you bench marking? Is there a tool within Netflix?

Samsung UN82MU8000 4K UHD TV | Yamaha RX-A2070 9.2 AVR with Klipsch R-15M L&R and R-34C front stage speakers | Klipsch G-12 surrounds | 4 Atrium 5 front & rear Tops | Dual BIC RtR EV-1200 Subs | 5.1.4 Atmos system | Samsung UBD M9500 BD Player | FireTV 4K | Logitech Harmony 750 | TIVO BOLT OTA 849000 | AppleTV 4K | miniDSP 2 X 4 |
Chuck666 is offline  
post #653 of 1542 Old 02-08-2018, 06:28 AM
Senior Member
 
benz5521's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 224
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoy View Post
I've had mine for almost a week. Love it. As long as you don't expect KS performance (I have the 55" KS8000 in another room) you will be extremely satisfied.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I have a 55ks8000 as well as the mu8000 like you. For most content Im not noticing many differences. If I put a Blu-ray in then yea but tv, Netflix. Pretty similar.
benz5521 is offline  
post #654 of 1542 Old 02-08-2018, 06:37 AM
Member
 
Sanookdi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 182
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck666 View Post
How are you bench marking? Is there a tool within Netflix?
In Netflix, go to 'settings' and then 'get help' and then 'check your network'.

My Home theater Set-Up:
Sony XBR75X900E (Prior TVs included LG OLED65B6P, Samsung KS8000/8500, KU6300)
LG LAS465 2.1-Channel 300W Sound Bar w/ Wireless Subwoofer
Philips BDP7501 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray player with HDR support
Other TV: Sony XBR49X900E (Returned Samsung UN49MU8000FXZA)
Sanookdi is offline  
post #655 of 1542 Old 02-08-2018, 06:45 AM
Member
 
Tshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by IPHANT0MI View Post
Good to know! I ended up replacing my set and with the new one you hardly noticed it! So it was an issue with the original one I got.

Question who did you go with for your calibration? Best buy? Other?
I went with AccuCal for both video and audio calibration. I have used them several times and always felt I got my money's worth.
Tshark is offline  
post #656 of 1542 Old 02-09-2018, 09:30 AM
DG_
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I've been sifting through most threads discussing the 82 mu8000 and the 75 x900e as I was torn between which one to buy. As expected, most feel the Sony to have a better picture. The real estate difference between a 75 and 82 is huge and I felt that maybe I would not notice much of a pq difference as I'm more of a casual viewer. Well, I ended up buying both to compare (almost impossible to get a good idea in store) and the mu8000 looks terrible when compared to the x900e. It's much dimmer, colors seemed washed out, and details are less pronounced. Both sets are for the most part following rtings settings and are on the same mode and color temp.
I truly did not expect the difference to be so apparent, so now I'm wondering if I might have gotten a dud panel with the samsung. Has anyone else here compared these two models and gotten any different results?

Receiver : Denon X4000
Speakers : Emp Tek R55Ti, R56Ci, R5Bi, R55Wi
Subwoofer : JTR S2

Last edited by DG_; 02-09-2018 at 09:34 AM.
DG_ is offline  
post #657 of 1542 Old 02-09-2018, 09:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Gruson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: DALLAS, TX
Posts: 1,826
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by DG_ View Post
I've been sifting through most threads discussing the 82 mu8000 and the 75 x900e as I was torn between which one to buy. As expected, most feel the Sony to have a better picture. The real estate difference between a 75 and 82 is huge and I felt that maybe I would not notice much of a pq difference as I'm more of a casual viewer. Well, I ended up buying both to compare (almost impossible to get a good idea in store) and the mu8000 looks terrible when compared to the x900e. It's much dimmer, colors seemed washed out, and details are less pronounced. Both sets are for the most part following rtings settings and are on the same mode and color temp.
I truly did not expect the difference to be so apparent, so now I'm wondering if I might have gotten a dud panel with the samsung. Has anyone else here compared these two models and gotten any different results?
I doubt it is the set...I also tried the 82" MU8000 and it does not "pop" like I wanted it too. Colors and blacks are ok but it is lacking for sure when compared to other sets or the Q series. I am returning mine and waiting for something else. HDR mode looks VERY washed out too.

Best deal right now is the Q7 for $2600 through Samsung EPP site, but it's only 75"...I am currently at 79" with an older LG set that really pops so am still on the hunt.
Gruson is offline  
post #658 of 1542 Old 02-09-2018, 10:04 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: GA
Posts: 126
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 25
From what I found, the X900E is a superior set and that the X850E was more comparable to the MU800. I was thinking about swapping my MU8000 for an X850E but wasn’t sure it was worth the hassle. I bought my MU8000 open box for $300 off and the X900E can’t be touched for that.
91RS is offline  
post #659 of 1542 Old 02-09-2018, 11:20 AM
Senior Member
 
Bill97Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 366
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by DG_ View Post
I've been sifting through most threads discussing the 82 mu8000 and the 75 x900e as I was torn between which one to buy. As expected, most feel the Sony to have a better picture. The real estate difference between a 75 and 82 is huge and I felt that maybe I would not notice much of a pq difference as I'm more of a casual viewer. Well, I ended up buying both to compare (almost impossible to get a good idea in store) and the mu8000 looks terrible when compared to the x900e. It's much dimmer, colors seemed washed out, and details are less pronounced. Both sets are for the most part following rtings settings and are on the same mode and color temp.
I truly did not expect the difference to be so apparent, so now I'm wondering if I might have gotten a dud panel with the samsung. Has anyone else here compared these two models and gotten any different results?
What type of video feed are you comparing them on? I bought the 82MU8000 and saw minor differences when comparing it to the sony in the store. I also wasn't happy with the settings from RTINGS.....so maybe play around a bit and see. For one thing, sharpness of zero doesn't look good on this set (which they recommend).
Bill97Z is offline  
post #660 of 1542 Old 02-09-2018, 11:43 AM
Member
 
Duckbacker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Sherwood OR
Posts: 123
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by DG_ View Post
I've been sifting through most threads discussing the 82 mu8000 and the 75 x900e as I was torn between which one to buy. As expected, most feel the Sony to have a better picture. The real estate difference between a 75 and 82 is huge and I felt that maybe I would not notice much of a pq difference as I'm more of a casual viewer. Well, I ended up buying both to compare (almost impossible to get a good idea in store) and the mu8000 looks terrible when compared to the x900e. It's much dimmer, colors seemed washed out, and details are less pronounced. Both sets are for the most part following rtings settings and are on the same mode and color temp.
I truly did not expect the difference to be so apparent, so now I'm wondering if I might have gotten a dud panel with the samsung. Has anyone else here compared these two models and gotten any different results?
I too just bought the 82" MU8000 last week and have been experimenting with the picture controls. I have found that unless I engage the HDR+ setting, I am not able to get a satisfactory picture setting that even comes remotely close to the Sony 75" X940D I replaced it with. Of course I knew going into the swap that I would be sacrificing a certain amount of PQ (the X940D is exceptionally good)) but I felt that it was worth the trade off in exchange for the approximately 20% increase in size. Currently, I am not disappointed with my purchase as the two other competitors in this picture size (Sony X850D and LG86SJ9570) both have their greater issues as can be found by reading about them here on the AVS forums as well as other places. Besides, their cost is not even close to the price on the MU8000 with both of them currently hovering around $5000.00.

I don't see any light at the end of the tunnel in affordable prices in this picture size until this time next year when perhaps the upcoming 85" Sony X900F has had a year long run. But again, priced at $7000 retail, it should be a display to keep an eye on for price drops as the months progress.

Sony XBR-85X900F 85-Inch 4K Ultra HD Smart LED TV; Denon AVR-X8500H (Dolby Atmos 7.2.6/DTS:X 7.2.4/Auro-3D 13.2); Emotiva XPA-7 Gen 3 Amplifier; SVS Ultra Towers; SVS Ultra Center Channel; (4) SVS Ultra Surround Speakers; (12) SVS Prime Elevations for Dolby Atmos/DTS:X/Auro-3D; Dual SVS SB16-Ultra Subwoofers w/SVS Soundpath Isolation System; Auralex Subdude II Isolation Pads; Panasonic DP-UB820 UHD Blu-ray Player; Panamax M5400 Power Conditioner
Duckbacker is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
2017 model , high dynamic range , Samsung

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off