Samsung MU8000 (No Price Talk) - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 982Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #61 of 1571 Old 03-17-2017, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Dave4Steelers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by promethean-in-fla View Post
On the KS8000, the bottom bezel and the legs have a very shiny, chrome-like appearance, which I find distracting. Based on in-person inspection, how would you describe the finish of these parts on your MU8000? With respect to your bezel, I would say matte silver or gray based on your photo (not real shiny like the KS8000), but colors can be hard to judge based on photos displayed on a computer monitor.
I can get a picture later but i remember them being more like a stainless steel or brushed aluminum. Not shiny like chrome

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
promethean-in-fla likes this.
Dave4Steelers is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 1571 Old 03-17-2017, 01:25 PM
Advanced Member
 
andydumi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 967
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
What puts me off is that the Webpage for KS was filled with quantum this, quantum that, and the word is absent on the MU page.
andydumi is offline  
post #63 of 1571 Old 03-19-2017, 04:56 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Anyone with a direct comparison of the mu vs ks or mu vs q7? Anyone know when rtings will be done with their review of the mu?
promethean-in-fla likes this.
430 hp 70 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #64 of 1571 Old 03-21-2017, 05:50 PM
Newbie
 
Rommel102's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
FYI, I've been anxiously awaiting this set to see if they fixed the issue with the KS8000's HDR Game Mode brightness not saving, since it is essentially the 2017 version of the KS8000.

Unfortuantely, Samsung confirmed it is still present in the MU8000 models, and I would assume the Q7/8/9 as well.
Rommel102 is offline  
post #65 of 1571 Old 03-21-2017, 06:13 PM
Member
 
paultimm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I was really hoping to go bigger than a 75 inch TV. Does anybody know or has anybody heard of when the 82 inch TV is going to be released? I heard rumors that this TV was going to be released but I don't know if that is just for the European market.
paultimm is offline  
post #66 of 1571 Old 03-21-2017, 10:06 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rommel102 View Post
FYI, I've been anxiously awaiting this set to.........., since it is essentially the 2017 version of the KS8000.
I've been anxiously avaiting to see if it is essentially the 2017 version. Unfortunately the answer isn't clear and the BB guy said today that the samsung rep told him it was the replacement for the 6/7 series and that the q7 was the replacement for the ks. Who the f knows at this point......

I bought a 65ks8000 from costco tonight. They go on sale thurs and I'll have them price match. I don't actually plan to open it until I read a few mu8000 reviews and see it in person. I haven't bought a TV in 8 years and don't want to regret this one.
430 hp 70 is offline  
post #67 of 1571 Old 03-22-2017, 12:53 PM
Member
 
Sanookdi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 182
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by andydumi View Post
What puts me off is that the Webpage for KS was filled with quantum this, quantum that, and the word is absent on the MU page.
KS was a part of their "S"UHD, whereas this MU series is just UHD, so no quantum dots.

My Home theater Set-Up:
Sony XBR75X900E (Prior TVs included LG OLED65B6P, Samsung KS8000/8500, KU6300)
LG LAS465 2.1-Channel 300W Sound Bar w/ Wireless Subwoofer
Philips BDP7501 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray player with HDR support
Other TV: Sony XBR49X900E (Returned Samsung UN49MU8000FXZA)
Sanookdi is offline  
post #68 of 1571 Old 03-22-2017, 01:16 PM
 
audacious nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 844
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanookdi View Post
KS was a part of their "S"UHD, whereas this MU series is just UHD, so no quantum dots.
That remains to be seen. We shall see how it and the MU8000 compare to the KS8000 and KS9000.
audacious nick is offline  
post #69 of 1571 Old 03-23-2017, 06:00 AM
Advanced Member
 
UnfoldingSquid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 752
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave4Steelers View Post
Yes got it friday. Extremely happy with it. Not sure how it compares to ks8000. I wanted to rent uhd movie on vudu but apparently the app on tv doesnt allow it yet.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
The problem with Vudu is they only support select LG and Vizio TVs for UHD, this is because right now Vudu only supports Dolby Vision for their UHD content. The thing is, Dolby Vision converts to HDR10 if the TV doesn't support Dolby Vision, so why Vudu refuses to support non-Dolby Vision TVs I have no idea.
UnfoldingSquid is offline  
post #70 of 1571 Old 03-23-2017, 06:11 AM
Advanced Member
 
UnfoldingSquid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 752
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by 430 hp 70 View Post
I've been anxiously avaiting to see if it is essentially the 2017 version. Unfortunately the answer isn't clear and the BB guy said today that the samsung rep told him it was the replacement for the 6/7 series and that the q7 was the replacement for the ks. Who the f knows at this point......

I bought a 65ks8000 from costco tonight. They go on sale thurs and I'll have them price match. I don't actually plan to open it until I read a few mu8000 reviews and see it in person. I haven't bought a TV in 8 years and don't want to regret this one.
rtings.com already has a review of the Q7, which seems almost identical to the ks8000 only the Q7 is receiving slightly lower scores. The mu8000 doesn't talk about HDR1000, Samsung's inflated "we're better than HDR10" spec, everything about this line screams budget mid range. It's technically an HDR10 TV from what I can find, using Active Crystal instead of Quantum dot probably means it's 10 bit while lacking wider color gamut. I know this sounds strange, but there were plenty of budget TVs last year that were really 8 bit panels that brought themselves up to 10 bit so this means they are using a cheaper technology to get more color out of the mu series while saving the big guns for the Qleds. This is all a guess on my part until we see real reviews start to roll out.
UnfoldingSquid is offline  
post #71 of 1571 Old 03-23-2017, 01:25 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hello. I am new to the forums. Just thought I'd chime in since I own a 55" ks8000 and a new 65" MU8000. The new MU8000 definitely does not have moth eye. It uses what they are using what they call triple black or clear panel. The panel has very small grooves that absorb light. Moth eye has a shiny film that absorbs light. Both do about as equally well as each other absorbing light. I'm no videophile but the MU8000 to my eyes looks every bit as good as the KS8000 when it comes to color and black levels. I like many am still waiting for some official reviews to see the numbers they come up with as far. The one thing I have to say as a positive although the MU8000 also uses a VA Panel, it seems to have a slightly wider viewing angle than the KS8000.
Lp85253 likes this.
Lferrin is offline  
post #72 of 1571 Old 03-23-2017, 01:27 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
This is a 1080P streaming of 13 hours on the MU8000. Contrast and black levels are great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0036_1490297210471.jpg
Views:	2301
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	2044897  
Lferrin is offline  
post #73 of 1571 Old 03-23-2017, 01:42 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 430 hp 70 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rommel102 View Post
FYI, I've been anxiously awaiting this set to.........., since it is essentially the 2017 version of the KS8000.
I've been anxiously avaiting to see if it is essentially the 2017 version. Unfortunately the answer isn't clear and the BB guy said today that the samsung rep told him it was the replacement for the 6/7 series and that the q7 was the replacement for the ks. Who the f knows at this point......

I bought a 65ks8000 from costco tonight. They go on sale thurs and I'll have them price match. I don't actually plan to open it until I read a few mu8000 reviews and see it in person. I haven't bought a TV in 8 years and don't want to regret this one.

You can't go wrong with either. The MU8000 is currently more expensive than the KS800 by about $600 for the same size. The KS8000 is a great tv.
Lferrin is offline  
post #74 of 1571 Old 03-23-2017, 07:53 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lferrin View Post
This is a 1080P streaming of 13 hours on the MU8000. Contrast and black levels are great.
how is the side light bleed? compared to the ks8000
Attached Images
 
4Kbeyond is offline  
post #75 of 1571 Old 03-23-2017, 10:34 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Kbeyond View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lferrin View Post
This is a 1080P streaming of 13 hours on the MU8000. Contrast and black levels are great.
how is the side light bleed? compared to the ks8000

I have zero light bleed on my KS8000 or MU8000. Your picture looks severe. I would take that back or try to warranty the TV. I've heard some KS8000 owners have light bleed and heavy blooming in dark scenes. I got one with a great panel and have zero issues.
Lferrin is offline  
post #76 of 1571 Old 03-23-2017, 10:38 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lferrin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Kbeyond View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lferrin View Post
This is a 1080P streaming of 13 hours on the MU8000. Contrast and black levels are great.
how is the side light bleed? compared to the ks8000

I have zero light bleed on my KS8000 or MU8000. Your picture looks severe. I would take that back or try to warranty the TV. I've heard some KS8000 owners have light bleed and heavy blooming in dark scenes. I got one with a great panel and have zero issues.
Here is another picture. Note how black the sky is in the Night scene. This is a pic of the MU8000 65". I'll get you a pic of a dark scene on the KS8000 shortly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0035_1490330131881.jpg
Views:	2640
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	2045633  
Lferrin is offline  
post #77 of 1571 Old 03-23-2017, 10:59 PM
 
audacious nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 844
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Kbeyond View Post
how is the side light bleed? compared to the ks8000
That is not normal KS8000 behavior, so I would not use that as a reference.
audacious nick is offline  
post #78 of 1571 Old 03-23-2017, 11:23 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
https://comparetv.net/samsung-un55mu...-mu8000-model/

Found a site that talks about the MU-8000 and MU-8500 (curved). They talk about the MU series as the successor to the KS series. Don't know how reputable this sight is but at least there's some more info starting to come out. I'm very happy with my 65" MU8000 either way.
Lferrin is offline  
post #79 of 1571 Old 03-24-2017, 01:26 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Kbeyond View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lferrin View Post
This is a 1080P streaming of 13 hours on the MU8000. Contrast and black levels are great.
how is the side light bleed? compared to the ks8000

Here is a pic of my 55" KS8000 with the LG Chess Demo. In a completely dark room. You can see the small clock with the time from my DVR next to it. Zero light bleed and some pretty damn impressive blacks from an Edge Lit LED.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0043_1490340359389.jpg
Views:	2339
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	2045673  
Lferrin is offline  
post #80 of 1571 Old 03-24-2017, 10:42 AM
 
player002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 6,246
Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3935 Post(s)
Liked: 2944
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfoldingSquid View Post
rtings.com already has a review of the Q7, which seems almost identical to the ks8000 only the Q7 is receiving slightly lower scores. The mu8000 doesn't talk about HDR1000, Samsung's inflated "we're better than HDR10" spec, everything about this line screams budget mid range. It's technically an HDR10 TV from what I can find, using Active Crystal instead of Quantum dot probably means it's 10 bit while lacking wider color gamut. I know this sounds strange, but there were plenty of budget TVs last year that were really 8 bit panels that brought themselves up to 10 bit so this means they are using a cheaper technology to get more color out of the mu series while saving the big guns for the Qleds. This is all a guess on my part until we see real reviews start to roll out.
No it has WCG it uses Special coated Phosphor LEDS . That is if confirmed not to have QDots..
player002 is offline  
post #81 of 1571 Old 03-26-2017, 02:02 AM
Senior Member
 
Forrest Gump's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 202
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hi everyone, I have a question for anyone who might own a UN49MU8000.

I was wondering if anyone who owns the 49" version of the MU8000 tv series, can confirm the or not if the UN49MU8000 has a 10-bit panel?

I ask this question because in europe the MU7000 series (which is the same as the MU8000 series) mentions that the 49" version of that series uses a 8-bit panel instead of a 10-bit panel like in the larger versions.

Thanks in advance for any information.
Forrest Gump is offline  
post #82 of 1571 Old 03-26-2017, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Dave4Steelers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Calibration Settings

Has anyone else bought this tv and would like to share their calibration settings?
Hairsonfire likes this.
Dave4Steelers is offline  
post #83 of 1571 Old 03-26-2017, 11:55 AM
Advanced Member
 
mithras1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 848
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest Gump View Post
Hi everyone, I have a question for anyone who might own a UN49MU8000.

I was wondering if anyone who owns the 49" version of the MU8000 tv series, can confirm the or not if the UN49MU8000 has a 10-bit panel?

I ask this question because in europe the MU7000 series (which is the same as the MU8000 series) mentions that the 49" version of that series uses a 8-bit panel instead of a 10-bit panel like in the larger versions.

Thanks in advance for any information.
I incorrectly assumed and wrote the 'UN MU8000 = UE MU8000' , but now that I see the Rtings review it is indeed the same as the UE MU7000 and therefore should not have Moth Eye. The UN MU7000 in turn is the UE MU6000 ...

Last edited by mithras1; 04-01-2017 at 12:29 PM.
mithras1 is offline  
post #84 of 1571 Old 03-26-2017, 02:38 PM
Senior Member
 
Forrest Gump's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 202
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hi guys, looks like you might be right about me looking at the wrong series.

I found a north american website that does confirm that the 49MU8000 has a 10-bit panel, the website is listed as follows in case anyone is interested in the complete specs of the MU8000 series: http://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/4145a69

Thanks for trying to help everyone!

Last edited by Forrest Gump; 03-26-2017 at 02:57 PM.
Forrest Gump is offline  
post #85 of 1571 Old 03-26-2017, 06:26 PM
Advanced Member
 
mithras1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 848
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest Gump View Post
Hi guys, looks like you might be right about me looking at the wrong series.

I found a north american website that does confirm that the 49MU8000 has a 10-bit panel, the website is listed as follows in case anyone is interested in the complete specs of the MU8000 series: http://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/4145a69

Thanks for trying to help everyone!
There isn't anything actually official about that site, the vast majority of the specs are what you can find in the product manual and the rest is gathered from wherever they can.
But you might be on to something regarding the 49" models, even the MU9000 has the 49" spec'd as 8bit according to the aforementioned German webshop that also has a Youtube channel introducing these models:
(at 00:40 it says only the 55 and 65" MU9000 are 10bit)
mithras1 is offline  
post #86 of 1571 Old 03-26-2017, 07:14 PM
Senior Member
 
joe75xp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 327
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 340
http://www.samsung.com/us/television...n49mu8000fxza/

10bit Support
Yes

___________________
:49KS8000 :TX-NR757
joe75xp is offline  
post #87 of 1571 Old 03-28-2017, 09:40 AM
Advanced Member
 
UnfoldingSquid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 752
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by player002 View Post
No it has WCG it uses Special coated Phosphor LEDS . That is if confirmed not to have QDots..
Of course it doesn't use quantum dots, why would Samsung release a $4,000 Qled and simultaneously release an MU8000 that also has quantum dots for half the price? They wouldn't, these are mid-range 8-bit panels increased to 10-bit with color filters with very little doubt in my mind. What it means on spec is the MU8000 technically has WCG but it isn't as wide of a range as a quantum dot TV.
UnfoldingSquid is offline  
post #88 of 1571 Old 03-28-2017, 05:37 PM
 
player002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 6,246
Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3935 Post(s)
Liked: 2944
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfoldingSquid View Post
Of course it doesn't use quantum dots, why would Samsung release a $4,000 Qled and simultaneously release an MU8000 that also has quantum dots for half the price? They wouldn't, these are mid-range 8-bit panels increased to 10-bit with color filters with very little doubt in my mind. What it means on spec is the MU8000 technically has WCG but it isn't as wide of a range as a quantum dot TV.
No No I know just some were saying it might be quantum dots.. The panels in these are most likely 10 bits as they are so common now.

Last edited by player002; 03-28-2017 at 05:41 PM.
player002 is offline  
post #89 of 1571 Old 03-29-2017, 04:36 PM
Member
 
tsunami2311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NJ, Lincoln Park
Posts: 165
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe75xp View Post
were exactly in the link do you see 10bit panel?
tsunami2311 is offline  
post #90 of 1571 Old 03-29-2017, 04:53 PM
Senior Member
 
joe75xp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 327
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Expand the "Show All Specs" section and its listed in the Video information.

___________________
:49KS8000 :TX-NR757
joe75xp is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
2017 model , black , high dynamic range , Samsung , search

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off