Samsung MU8000 (No Price Talk) - Page 53 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 982Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1561 of 1574 Old 01-29-2020, 03:40 PM
Advanced Member
 
Quicksilv3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Orangeville Canada
Posts: 922
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikemike View Post
Thanks for the link to ratings.com. That was helpful. And as far as sports viewing goes, I can see myself revisiting the settings menu more than I may want to once the broadcast begins.



Ratings.com does not mention HDR+ Mode setting. I’m assuming I switch this on only when viewing HDR content. Otherwise leave off and adjust picture mode to my liking? Do I have this right?


I personally can’t stand the HDR+ mode. I think on this thread, people have the same sentiments.

As far as sports, turn on auto motion plus. I turn it to automatic when I watch hockey and baseball. Don’t care for American football so I don’t know how it looks.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
pikemike likes this.

tv: Samsung UN75MU800, Receiver: Denon AVR 730H, speakers: 4x M&K S-1B and M&K S85c for center, sub: MKsound V12 HTPC, Samsung UBP-K8500, Rogers Digital PVR, Chromecast Ultra
Quicksilv3r is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1562 of 1574 Old 01-30-2020, 09:42 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilv3r View Post
I personally can’t stand the HDR+ mode. I think on this thread, people have the same sentiments.

As far as sports, turn on auto motion plus. I turn it to automatic when I watch hockey and baseball. Don’t care for American football so I don’t know how it looks.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
You shouldn't use HDR+ mode, It's not a native Hdr mode. It's used to pimp normal content and useless imo.
If the contend is HDR your tv automatically switch to the real HDR mode which is different to the HDR+ mode.
pikemike likes this.
Guzzpower is online now  
post #1563 of 1574 Old 02-05-2020, 08:39 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Samsung UN65MU800d UN65MU8000 secret service menu

I have been searching for a couple of hours and have tried at least 8 different key combinations but cannot get into the secret service menu on my UN65MU800D. Does anyone know of a key combination that works?
CrazyPop is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1564 of 1574 Old 02-11-2020, 07:13 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Panel defect

I recently noticed consistently seeing dark and light grey vertical bars during certain scenes on my UN75MU8000. In other scenes, where you have larger sections of any solid color, the bars also appear. Quite distracting. Happens with both DTV or ATV, the only sources I use. I have the Best Buy protection plan, and after calling and sending screenshots of a few scenes I recorded to DVR, they are sending out a tech Saturday to replace my panel! At $1900 just for the part he told me! I was surprised as I thought they would replace it. Purchased June 2017. Anyone else see this defect?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3135.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	2683660  
pikemike is offline  
post #1565 of 1574 Old 02-11-2020, 09:01 AM
Advanced Member
 
Quicksilv3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Orangeville Canada
Posts: 922
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikemike View Post
I recently noticed consistently seeing dark and light grey vertical bars during certain scenes on my UN75MU8000. In other scenes, where you have larger sections of any solid color, the bars also appear. Quite distracting. Happens with both DTV or ATV, the only sources I use. I have the Best Buy protection plan, and after calling and sending screenshots of a few scenes I recorded to DVR, they are sending out a tech Saturday to replace my panel! At $1900 just for the part he told me! I was surprised as I thought they would replace it. Purchased June 2017. Anyone else see this defect?


There’s nothing wrong with your tv. It’s an edge lit tv and that’s what happens.
Good luck though...


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tv: Samsung UN75MU800, Receiver: Denon AVR 730H, speakers: 4x M&K S-1B and M&K S85c for center, sub: MKsound V12 HTPC, Samsung UBP-K8500, Rogers Digital PVR, Chromecast Ultra
Quicksilv3r is online now  
post #1566 of 1574 Old 02-11-2020, 11:26 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilv3r View Post
There’s nothing wrong with your tv. It’s an edge lit tv and that’s what happens.
Good luck though...


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kind of surprised I haven’t noticed this before. If this is what to be expected from my TV, then after the “fix” and I replay the same scene, and we see the same defect, it could get interesting. We’ll see.
pikemike is offline  
post #1567 of 1574 Old 02-12-2020, 07:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Land of Cardinals
Posts: 5,864
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikemike View Post
Kind of surprised I haven’t noticed this before. If this is what to be expected from my TV, then after the “fix” and I replay the same scene, and we see the same defect, it could get interesting. We’ll see.
As stated it is normal and all of them have it to varying degree. Proper black level adjustment will help.

I have the 65" MU8000 bought march 18. Started showing a horizontal bar on the bottom followed by going blank and restoring the image repeatedly.
Tech person diagnosed it with bad panel. Just got it repaired with new panel and it has been working last days. It is a very good panel better that original one.

It is all about quality. That is the picture
Sony 75" X900F, Samsung 65" MU8000, Nec 8" LC CRT pj, DLP pj, 12' screen media room
CaspianM is offline  
post #1568 of 1574 Old 02-13-2020, 07:00 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaspianM View Post
...Proper black level adjustment will help.

I have the 65" MU8000...
I don’t have “black level” adjustment in my settings. Is that buried in some service settings menu? Or controlled by backlight?
pikemike is offline  
post #1569 of 1574 Old 02-13-2020, 07:57 AM
Advanced Member
 
Quicksilv3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Orangeville Canada
Posts: 922
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikemike View Post
I don’t have “black level” adjustment in my settings. Is that buried in some service settings menu? Or controlled by backlight?
Ok honestly, it's your contrast and brightness levels.

You should not be tweaking any levels if you don't understand the settings.

I personally think you've wasted the time of best buy coming to replace your screen.

I know you want to change settings and make sure your picture is perfect, but no one on here or Google can tell you what settings will change the black levels to your particular eyes.

The grey bands are probably a result of the brightness and contrast being too high and might have accidentally been changed.

The tv itself is an edge lit tv, meaning it will have grey bands, the higher the contrast and brightness levels the higher and more clear the grey bands.



Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

tv: Samsung UN75MU800, Receiver: Denon AVR 730H, speakers: 4x M&K S-1B and M&K S85c for center, sub: MKsound V12 HTPC, Samsung UBP-K8500, Rogers Digital PVR, Chromecast Ultra
Quicksilv3r is online now  
post #1570 of 1574 Old 02-13-2020, 08:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Land of Cardinals
Posts: 5,864
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikemike View Post
I don’t have “black level” adjustment in my settings. Is that buried in some service settings menu? Or controlled by backlight?
You do not need to get into service menu. MU8000 has great black level for most applications.

I have the local dimming in standard, contrast enhancer in low, with picture mode & color tone in standard for everyday use. that is mybright room setting.
In dark room movie mode, I use movie 2 (color tone) but contrast enhancer is off and local dimming low. Local dimming still some what effective eventhough it is NOT a full array TV.
I have also have done grey scale calibration but only 2 point in standard mode and 20 points in movie 2 mode.
My black level is awesome, no clouding flash lighting. Gray uniformity is very good as well.

The key is not to run the TV in full contrast and have the back light low specially in dark room.
Use these setting as a reference point for movie watching:
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sa...u8000/settings

It is all about quality. That is the picture
Sony 75" X900F, Samsung 65" MU8000, Nec 8" LC CRT pj, DLP pj, 12' screen media room
CaspianM is offline  
post #1571 of 1574 Old 02-13-2020, 11:54 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaspianM View Post
You do not need to get into service menu. MU8000 has great black level for most applications.

I have the local dimming in standard, contrast enhancer in low, with picture mode & color tone in standard for everyday use. that is mybright room setting.
In dark room movie mode, I use movie 2 (color tone) but contrast enhancer is off and local dimming low. Local dimming still some what effective eventhough it is NOT a full array TV.
I have also have done grey scale calibration but only 2 point in standard mode and 20 points in movie 2 mode.
My black level is awesome, no clouding flash lighting. Gray uniformity is very good as well.

The key is not to run the TV in full contrast and have the back light low specially in dark room.
Use these setting as a reference point for movie watching:
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sa...u8000/settings
Thanks for all the comments and tips. I still got it; albeit gray bands not as bright, but still there. I’ll follow up here after the Geek Squad visit Saturday.
pikemike is offline  
post #1572 of 1574 Old 03-23-2020, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member
 
Chuck666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Surprise, AZ
Posts: 593
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 87
RED STREAKS from bottom upward?

This is a Nov 2017 delivered 82" MU8000. After working flawlessly, I now see narrow vertical lightning bolts in red emanating from the bottom edge upward about halfway? Maybe once an hour?

Anyone else?

Samsung UN82MU8000 4K UHD TV | Onkyo TN-NR787 9.2 AVR with Klipsch RP-600M L&R and R-34C front stage speakers | Klipsch G-12 surrounds | 4 Atrium 5 front & rear Tops | Dual BIC RtR EV-1200 Subs | 5.1.4 Atmos system | Samsung UBD M9500 BD Player | Logitech Harmony 700 | TIVO BOLT OTA 849000 | AppleTV 4K | HT PC |
Chuck666 is online now  
post #1573 of 1574 Old 03-23-2020, 01:27 PM
Advanced Member
 
Quicksilv3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Orangeville Canada
Posts: 922
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck666 View Post
This is a Nov 2017 delivered 82" MU8000. After working flawlessly, I now see narrow vertical lightning bolts in red emanating from the bottom edge upward about halfway? Maybe once an hour?



Anyone else?
I've had my 75" inch setup since labour day weekend 2017 and I use it about 4-6hrs daily and do not have this issue.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

tv: Samsung UN75MU800, Receiver: Denon AVR 730H, speakers: 4x M&K S-1B and M&K S85c for center, sub: MKsound V12 HTPC, Samsung UBP-K8500, Rogers Digital PVR, Chromecast Ultra
Quicksilv3r is online now  
post #1574 of 1574 Old 03-24-2020, 06:02 AM
Advanced Member
 
Chuck666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Surprise, AZ
Posts: 593
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilv3r View Post
I've had my 75" inch setup since labour day weekend 2017 and I use it about 4-6hrs daily and do not have this issue.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
TY Saw 3 flashes last night..

Samsung UN82MU8000 4K UHD TV | Onkyo TN-NR787 9.2 AVR with Klipsch RP-600M L&R and R-34C front stage speakers | Klipsch G-12 surrounds | 4 Atrium 5 front & rear Tops | Dual BIC RtR EV-1200 Subs | 5.1.4 Atmos system | Samsung UBD M9500 BD Player | Logitech Harmony 700 | TIVO BOLT OTA 849000 | AppleTV 4K | HT PC |
Chuck666 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
2017 model , black , high dynamic range , Samsung , search

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off