2017 Sony XBR 900E owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 135 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 40409Likes

post #4021 of 19370 Old 08-14-2017, 06:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Berry View Post
The reason I ask is because I was planning on purchasing these, the Sony HT-RT3 https://www.sony.com/electronics/sound-bars/ht-rt3

So with your Soundbar connected via optical, do all of your HDMI sources receive audio from it or just HDMI 1?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
my 2 hdmi devices and all apps work just fine, no issues.
Mr Berry likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4022 of 19370 Old 08-14-2017, 06:19 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS racer View Post
my 2 hdmi devices and all apps work just fine, no issues.

Thanks buddy. Gonna order it now. Need a cheap, temporary solution till Christmas. Then I'll purchase a Dolby Atmos setup.

post #4023 of 19370 Old 08-14-2017, 07:24 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Has any of you connected the tv to a sound bar via optical?

Klipsch r20b connected via optical..no problems, sounds really good
Mr Berry likes this.

personal tv setup:
Sony 65" X900e, Roku Ultra, Mibox 4k, Apple Tv 4k,Ps4 Pro, Kipsch R20b
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4024 of 19370 Old 08-14-2017, 10:25 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckles View Post
I have tried all of the settings on the TV and the Denon receiver. No 5.1 indication is showing on Netflx and surround sound is absent. Does anyone have a solution or work-around so that I am able to produce the correct sound. I see this issue has been around for a while but have been unable to locate recent posts. It is a shame to have this great set and not have it capable of a true theater experience. Please help!
Do you have something connected to the AUDIO OUT/Headphone jack on the TV?

Netflix will detect this and only output 2 channel then.
post #4025 of 19370 Old 08-14-2017, 10:47 AM

Do you guys use X-tended Dynamic Range Pro on 1080p content or just HDR? I was thinking about it. If it improves picture quality then why not right?

I tried Smooth gradation (Super Bitmapping) on 1080p content, it didn't work. There was still banding.

post #4026 of 19370 Old 08-14-2017, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Do you guys use X-tended Dynamic Range Pro on 1080p content or just HDR? I was thinking about it. If it improves picture quality then why not right?

I tried Smooth gradation (Super Bitmapping) on 1080p content, it didn't work. There was still banding.

Yes on XDR, in various degrees and adds HDR look to non HDR content. I also think it works well and is similar to upscaling but on bit depth rather than resolution.

Sent from my SM-P607T using Tapatalk
Mr Berry likes this.

2017 Sony XBR75X900E | Onkyo TX-NR801 5.1 | Polk Audio front | Retired: 2006 Sony KDSR-60XBR1
post #4027 of 19370 Old 08-14-2017, 11:35 AM

2017 Sony XBR 900E owners thread (No Price Talk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbAVS View Post
Yes on XDR, in various degrees and adds HDR look to non HDR content. I also think it works well and is similar to upscaling but on bit depth rather than resolution.

Sent from my SM-P607T using Tapatalk

Thanks. What level do you set it to?

Never mind. Stupid question. I'll play around with it and see what works best for the content I'm watching.

tbAVS likes this.

Last edited by Mr Berry; 08-14-2017 at 11:51 AM.
post #4028 of 19370 Old 08-14-2017, 11:51 AM
KR_

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Greetings,

Is it normal to see blooming with local dimming on? It's much more apparent when viewing at an angle. Straight on it's not as noticeable.

Additionally, can any of you proud owners suggest good test videos for this stuff? I recently posted pictures with clouding but I've not been able to replicate them as of yet. If someone asked me if I had clouding on this TV I would say none (but it seems my cell camera has a. Enter eye for it).

Thanks!

~KR

post #4029 of 19370 Old 08-14-2017, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Just got my 65" 900e up and running Saturday. I have a few concerns...

4K content, PS4 pro, some Amazon streaming, and some standard blu-ray scenes look incredible. However, most DirecTv and regular DVD looks like ****. Absolute garbage. Obviously the source plays a part, and I'm used to watching a 50" Samsung Hu8550, so perhaps the difference in size is playing a factor? Is this normal? Also, some blu-ray movies looked incredibly grainy. Why? I did use the Disney WOW disc to calibrate, but made only very minor adjustments. Frankly, for all the hype I expected a little better from the 900e. Also, couldn't get 2k/4k output from PS3 Pro on HDMI-3. I was able to get this on HDMI-2. Also, while the corners are a bit dim, I do see some minor flash-lighting on the edges. I'm not particularly concerned about any of the minor flaws except for the graininess/picture quality. Anybody else experience something similar?

Considering going to PS Vue...is this a good idea for quality vs DirecTV? Overall, content with the purchase (and it sounds great with a Yamaha 207), but I can't help but think I'm doing something wrong here.
post #4030 of 19370 Old 08-14-2017, 12:04 PM
KR_

Quote:
I'm not quite sure how this is looking for issues -

Without LD

With LD

That's not normal. Avoiding it won't make those black uniformity issues go away.

It's interesting that I see the same faint brighter border on your captures as I do on my TV - does anyone else have this? Not the clouding but the perimeter you see here.

post #4031 of 19370 Old 08-14-2017, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR_ View Post
It's interesting that I see the same faint brighter border on your captures as I do on my TV - does anyone else have this? Not the clouding but the perimeter you see here.

Lol, those are yours buddy. I used those pics to make a point.

tbAVS likes this.
post #4032 of 19370 Old 08-14-2017, 12:18 PM
KR_

Quote:
Lol, those are yours buddy. I used those pics to make a point.

Oh lol

Mr Berry likes this.
post #4033 of 19370 Old 08-14-2017, 12:20 PM
KR_

2017 Sony XBR 900E owners thread (No Price Talk)

Quote:
Oh lol

Wait it looks like you were replying to tidwelr1 - I never took pictures with and without local dimming.

I also think I stumbled upon a bug in Tapatalk where I would reply to a thread and it would include an incorrect image. This white screen above is definitely not mine.

Last edited by KR_; 08-14-2017 at 12:39 PM.
post #4034 of 19370 Old 08-14-2017, 12:31 PM
KR_

Quote:
I'm not quite sure how this is looking for issues -

Without LD

With LD

That's not normal. Avoiding it won't make those black uniformity issues go away.

I'm attempting to quote the original post to see where the confusion lies.

post #4035 of 19370 Old 08-14-2017, 12:33 PM
KR_

Quote:
I'm attempting to quote the original post to see where the confusion lies.

Yep these aren't mine - mine are the following:Name:  IMG_1850.JPG
Views: 990
Size:  306.9 KBName:  IMG_1842.JPG
Views: 971
Size:  299.0 KB

post #4036 of 19370 Old 08-14-2017, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Yep these aren't mine - mine are the following:Attachment 2267520Attachment 2267522

Okay now I'm confused cause the issues in the ones I quoted looked nothing like yours?

post #4037 of 19370 Old 08-14-2017, 01:07 PM
KR_

Quote:
Okay now I'm confused cause the issues in the ones I quoted looked nothing like yours?

I have not noticed any clouding as seen in the two pics posted, the ones with LD on and off. I do see the bright border around the perimeter however.

post #4038 of 19370 Old 08-14-2017, 01:16 PM

Quote:
I have not noticed any clouding as seen in the two pics posted, the ones with LD on and off. I do see the bright border around the perimeter however.

Did you try exchanging the panel? You might get lucky.

post #4039 of 19370 Old 08-14-2017, 01:17 PM
KR_

Quote:
Did you try exchanging the panel? You might get lucky.

I haven't yet because it seems like this might be by design as seen in these pictures posted. Do you see them on yours? I think I read someone else saying they see them on their set as well, just don't recall who it was at the moment.

post #4040 of 19370 Old 08-14-2017, 01:30 PM

Quote:
I haven't yet because it seems like this might be by design as seen in these pictures posted. Do you see them on yours? I think I read someone else saying they see them on their set as well, just don't recall who it was at the moment.

Nope. My borders are fine. Just some faint clouding on the top left and bottom right. But only with LD off. Completely black with LD on Medium.

post #4041 of 19370 Old 08-14-2017, 01:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunta777 View Post

4K content, PS4 pro, some Amazon streaming, and some standard blu-ray scenes look incredible. However, most DirecTv and regular DVD looks like ****. Absolute garbage. Obviously the source plays a part, and I'm used to watching a 50" Samsung Hu8550, so perhaps the difference in size is playing a factor? Is this normal? Also, some blu-ray movies looked incredibly grainy. Why? I did use the Disney WOW disc to calibrate, but made only very minor adjustments. Frankly, for all the hype I expected a little better from the 900e. Also, couldn't get 2k/4k output from PS3 Pro on HDMI-3. I was able to get this on HDMI-2. Also, while the corners are a bit dim, I do see some minor flash-lighting on the edges. I'm not particularly concerned about any of the minor flaws except for the graininess/picture quality. Anybody else experience something similar?

Considering going to PS Vue...is this a good idea for quality vs DirecTV? Overall, content with the purchase (and it sounds great with a Yamaha 207), but I can't help but think I'm doing something wrong here.
Interesting. I have a 65inch HU8550, and am looking at going to the 75xbr900e, or possibly the 75xbr 940e. I use Direct TVnow, and stream. Picture is perfect on the Samsung. Are you using the Direct TVnow app, or true Direct TV. I have also tried PS Vue, and it was perfect on the Samsung, but finally decided on DirectTVnow.
post #4042 of 19370 Old 08-14-2017, 01:47 PM
KR_

Quote:
Nope. My borders are fine. Just some faint clouding on the top left and bottom right. But only with LD off. Completely black with LD on Medium.

Ok - my borders only show up some of the time... if I cast a pure black image I do not see them. It only happens on some lighter material.

Mr Berry likes this.
post #4043 of 19370 Old 08-14-2017, 01:55 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by twssas View Post
Interesting. I have a 65inch HU8550, and am looking at going to the 75xbr900e, or possibly the 75xbr 940e. I use Direct TVnow, and stream. Picture is perfect on the Samsung. Are you using the Direct TVnow app, or true Direct TV. I have also tried PS Vue, and it was perfect on the Samsung, but finally decided on DirectTVnow.
Quote:
I'm using the standard DirecTV thru a satellite dish. All sources looked great on my Sammy, which is why I'm a bit perplexed as to the differences on the Sony, particularly after the glowing reviews. I don't think my TV is defective, I just don't understand why such a wide variety of quality. Again, 4k/PS4 pro looks outstanding. Lower quality just looks so/so. Standard DVD looks almost unwatchable. Blu Rays were a mixed bag - some looked near 4k quality, others looked like VHS.
post #4044 of 19370 Old 08-14-2017, 02:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
I'm using the standard DirecTV thru a satellite dish. All sources looked great on my Sammy, which is why I'm a bit perplexed as to the differences on the Sony, particularly after the glowing reviews. I don't think my TV is defective, I just don't understand why such a wide variety of quality. Again, 4k/PS4 pro looks outstanding. Lower quality just looks so/so. Standard DVD looks almost unwatchable. Blu Rays were a mixed bag - some looked near 4k quality, others looked like VHS.
Only thing I could suggest is searching through the threads, and see if you find anything similar that someone had. Perhaps, there are some settings you could tweak. I am real interested on how this turns out for you, because as I mentioned, I am also considering this model, based a lot on the positive reviews from everyone.

I am sure I am not suggesting anything you havent already thought of, but there is an enormous amount of information in these threads, and a lot of helpful folks.

Welcome to the board!
post #4045 of 19370 Old 08-14-2017, 03:00 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7015 Post(s)
Liked: 7028
Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeCrow View Post
Totally agree. That would be perfect. I already have one of those "brush" style wallplates above a conduit on the other side of the stud, though. I'd rather not cut another hole in the wall if it isn't necessary. I would definitely do it if there wasn't another option, though.
The last two TV's I hung that is what I used....They work out great .....
post #4046 of 19370 Old 08-14-2017, 05:58 PM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:

4K content, PS4 pro, some Amazon streaming, and some standard blu-ray scenes look incredible. However, most DirecTv and regular DVD looks like ****. Absolute garbage. Obviously the source plays a part, and I'm used to watching a 50" Samsung Hu8550, so perhaps the difference in size is playing a factor? Is this normal? Also, some blu-ray movies looked incredibly grainy. Why? I did use the Disney WOW disc to calibrate, but made only very minor adjustments. Frankly, for all the hype I expected a little better from the 900e. Also, couldn't get 2k/4k output from PS3 Pro on HDMI-3. I was able to get this on HDMI-2. Also, while the corners are a bit dim, I do see some minor flash-lighting on the edges.
Check your directv display settings, your HDMI cables and the enhanced HDMI settings.

Quote:
I partially watched "Incredibles" on DVD 480p and it looks great on my older panasonic BR player upscaled by the TV.

2017 Sony XBR75X900E | Onkyo TX-NR801 5.1 | Polk Audio front | Retired: 2006 Sony KDSR-60XBR1
post #4047 of 19370 Old 08-14-2017, 06:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by green666 View Post
No, you can`t have separate presets of each mode (not sure why they didnt allow it) ...use custom for lesser material (480i and 720p) and cinema pro for 1080i and 4K and you will be good to go.
Quote:
Greetings,

Is it normal to see blooming with local dimming on? It's much more apparent when viewing at an angle. Straight on it's not as noticeable.

Additionally, can any of you proud owners suggest good test videos for this stuff? I recently posted pictures with clouding but I've not been able to replicate them as of yet. If someone asked me if I had clouding on this TV I would say none (but it seems my cell camera has a. Enter eye for it).

Thanks!

~KR

Yes. You will see blooming from an angle. It's much more subtle, if you see it at all straight on. You will occasionally see it in black bars, assuming you're looking for it. Generally I rarely if ever notice it, unless I'm sitting at an angle.
post #4048 of 19370 Old 08-14-2017, 09:02 PM
KR_

Quote:

I found this on youtube and if you look closely, you can see a faint border (about 1 inch around the perimeter of the screen... it's subtle, but it's there.

post #4049 of 19370 Old 08-15-2017, 01:11 AM

Quote:
I found this on youtube and if you look closely, you can see a faint border (about 1 inch around the perimeter of the screen... it's subtle, but it's there.

https://youtu.be/-K2ixYIU2yo

Yeah it's very faint but I see what you mean. I'll have a look at the same YouTube 4K video on my set later and report back.

post #4050 of 19370 Old 08-15-2017, 03:52 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 3
So I finally hooked up my Steam Link again yesterday and used it on the X900E. I had a blast with it and was even surprised how well it looked and worked considering the last time I used it, I unplugged it indefinitely. It looks great, but of course is limited to 1080p/60fps.

Is anyone using the Shield TV for game stream (local, not the streaming subscription)? I'm seriously considering it for the 4K and HDR capabilities for the TV...not to mention I wouldn't mind a superior Android TV device.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
issues , motion , motionflow , problems , Sony , sound delay , x900e

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page