2017 Sony XBR 900E owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 136 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 40424Likes

post #4051 of 19471 Old 08-15-2017, 05:05 AM
KR_

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Berry View Post
Yeah it's very faint but I see what you mean. I'll have a look at the same YouTube 4K video on my set later and report back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In this video you see it more on the blues... playing this back on the x900e might confuse things because you will see the effect two-fold

Mr Berry likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4052 of 19471 Old 08-15-2017, 05:21 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 172
2017 Sony XBR 900E owners thread (No Price Talk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR_ View Post
In this video you see it more on the blues... playing this back on the x900e might confuse things because you will see the effect two-fold

I'll try watching other content like Avatar and Mad Max also.

post #4053 of 19471 Old 08-15-2017, 06:41 AM
KR_

Quote:
I'll try watching other content like Avatar and Mad Max also.

Okay. Here is another example... pay attention to the right side of the screen as it's more apparent.

Mr Berry likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4054 of 19471 Old 08-15-2017, 07:05 AM

Okay, will have a look when I'm at home.

KR_ likes this.
post #4055 of 19471 Old 08-15-2017, 07:15 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I dont know what changed since the last youtube update, but I am no longer able to watch youtube videos in 4k. They will only play in 1080p now...

Speed test over wirless gives over 450Mbps (gigabit fios with wireless ac router) and netflix/amazon have no problem playing 4k & hdr videos.

Anyone else not able to watch youtube videos in 4k anymore?
post #4056 of 19471 Old 08-15-2017, 07:24 AM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by tw1st View Post
I dont know what changed since the last youtube update, but I am no longer able to watch youtube videos in 4k. They will only play in 1080p now...

Speed test over wirless gives over 450Mbps (gigabit fios with wireless ac router) and netflix/amazon have no problem playing 4k & hdr videos.

Anyone else not able to watch youtube videos in 4k anymore?
Complain to sony, been discussed many times on this thread. Roll back the update and disable auto update.

My UI is very smooth without auto updates on and no Sony shelf recommendations. Amazon stutter cleaned up after holding home and killing off unused apps. No reboots in the last month. Overall pretty happy with Android performance with current settings.

Sent from my SM-P607T using Tapatalk

2017 Sony XBR75X900E | Onkyo TX-NR801 5.1 | Polk Audio front | Retired: 2006 Sony KDSR-60XBR1
post #4057 of 19471 Old 08-15-2017, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbAVS View Post
Complain to sony, been discussed many times on this thread. Roll back the update and disable auto update.

My UI is very smooth without auto updates on and no Sony shelf recommendations. Amazon stutter cleaned up after holding home and killing off unused apps. No reboots in the last month. Overall pretty happy with Android performance with current settings.

How long have you had your set?

post #4058 of 19471 Old 08-15-2017, 10:03 AM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

Ahh, I wasn't aware of this.

Need to look up how to roll back updates, I imagine it is not a very easy task to complete.
post #4059 of 19471 Old 08-15-2017, 04:54 PM
KR_

Quote:
Okay, will have a look when I'm at home.

Update: I spoke to Sony support over the phone and emailed pictures. If they verify this is a known issue (the rep indicated this sounds like one), they will send a replacement. I should hear back from them tomorrow at which point I will provide another update.

Mr Berry likes this.
post #4060 of 19471 Old 08-15-2017, 05:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Hello all,
Just saw this video from Vincent on HDTV test. Shows how to improve the speed of android TV

Regards,
post #4061 of 19471 Old 08-15-2017, 06:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1839 Post(s)
Liked: 5271
Man, watching some Spiderman cartoons on Disney xd with my little guy and the pq is amaze-balls.
post #4062 of 19471 Old 08-15-2017, 08:49 PM

Quote:
How long have you had your set?

Two months. Hope it keeps running for years without issue and they get the 4k apps issue resolved. HDR10+ would be nice too.
Mr Berry likes this.

2017 Sony XBR75X900E | Onkyo TX-NR801 5.1 | Polk Audio front | Retired: 2006 Sony KDSR-60XBR1
post #4063 of 19471 Old 08-15-2017, 09:38 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello everyone. Not sure if this is a thread for helping people solve technical issues but here goes. Some back story before I get to my question:

I just purchased the X900E today to use as a screen for my gaming PC. I'm planning to build a new PC soon that will handle 4k. In the mean time I'm trying to use this TV on my current gaming PC which has a Radeon R9 390. From what I've read online, the R9 390 is only capable of 4k @ 60hz via display port, and I do not have an adapter for that currently so I'm forced to connect the TV to the HDMI port which is not a 2.0 port.

30Hz looks terrible for games, obviously, so in order to have 60hz I need to run the TV at 1080p. This is where my problem begins. I cannot figure out how to get the TV to cooperate with my video card and display 1080p @ 60hz. I've looked through the options under Action Menu > Picture adjustments and under Home > Settings > External Inputs/Picture and Display and cannot figure out why it won't run at that resolution.

Currently I have my desktop resolution set to 1920 x 1080. Refresh rate is 29hz according to the monitor properties in Windows, and only goes up to 30hz in the options there. If I hit Action Menu > Display I get an info bar at the top of the screen that tells me the screen resolution is set to 3840 x 2160p. I feel like the TV and PC are not communicating their settings properly to each other, or I'm missing a settings menu somewhere, or I'm just, well, stupid.

I should also mention that after having these issues, I suspected perhaps my HDMI cable was too old. It's labeled High Speed and from what I read that should have been sufficient for what I'm trying to do. I went out and got an HDMI 2.0 cable anyway, 18Gbps 60hz capable according to the packaging, and still have the problem.

Anyone have a clue what's wrong? Did I overlook something simple?
post #4064 of 19471 Old 08-15-2017, 09:40 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by twssas View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunta777 View Post
Just got my 65" 900e up and running Saturday. I have a few concerns...

4K content, PS4 pro, some Amazon streaming, and some standard blu-ray scenes look incredible. However, most DirecTv and regular DVD looks like ****. Absolute garbage. Obviously the source plays a part, and I'm used to watching a 50" Samsung Hu8550, so perhaps the difference in size is playing a factor? Is this normal? Also, some blu-ray movies looked incredibly grainy. Why? I did use the Disney WOW disc to calibrate, but made only very minor adjustments. Frankly, for all the hype I expected a little better from the 900e. Also, couldn't get 2k/4k output from PS3 Pro on HDMI-3. I was able to get this on HDMI-2. Also, while the corners are a bit dim, I do see some minor flash-lighting on the edges. I'm not particularly concerned about any of the minor flaws except for the graininess/picture quality. Anybody else experience something similar?

Considering going to PS Vue...is this a good idea for quality vs DirecTV? Overall, content with the purchase (and it sounds great with a Yamaha 207), but I can't help but think I'm doing something wrong here.
Interesting. I have a 65inch HU8550, and am looking at going to the 75xbr900e, or possibly the 75xbr 940e. I use Direct TVnow, and stream. Picture is perfect on the Samsung. Are you using the Direct TVnow app, or true Direct TV. I have also tried PS Vue, and it was perfect on the Samsung, but finally decided on DirectTVnow.

I did a test on a 940e at best buy today and it has really bad ghosting.
green666 likes this.
post #4065 of 19471 Old 08-15-2017, 11:16 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude1000 View Post
Hello everyone. Not sure if this is a thread for helping people solve technical issues but here goes. Some back story before I get to my question:

I just purchased the X900E today to use as a screen for my gaming PC. I'm planning to build a new PC soon that will handle 4k. In the mean time I'm trying to use this TV on my current gaming PC which has a Radeon R9 390. From what I've read online, the R9 390 is only capable of 4k @ 60hz via display port, and I do not have an adapter for that currently so I'm forced to connect the TV to the HDMI port which is not a 2.0 port.

30Hz looks terrible for games, obviously, so in order to have 60hz I need to run the TV at 1080p. This is where my problem begins. I cannot figure out how to get the TV to cooperate with my video card and display 1080p @ 60hz. I've looked through the options under Action Menu > Picture adjustments and under Home > Settings > External Inputs/Picture and Display and cannot figure out why it won't run at that resolution.

Currently I have my desktop resolution set to 1920 x 1080. Refresh rate is 29hz according to the monitor properties in Windows, and only goes up to 30hz in the options there. If I hit Action Menu > Display I get an info bar at the top of the screen that tells me the screen resolution is set to 3840 x 2160p. I feel like the TV and PC are not communicating their settings properly to each other, or I'm missing a settings menu somewhere, or I'm just, well, stupid.

I should also mention that after having these issues, I suspected perhaps my HDMI cable was too old. It's labeled High Speed and from what I read that should have been sufficient for what I'm trying to do. I went out and got an HDMI 2.0 cable anyway, 18Gbps 60hz capable according to the packaging, and still have the problem.

So my first two thoughts:

1) It's been a while since I've been on an AMD/ATI card, so I'm not sure how this works--are you able to set a custom resolution like how you can with NVIDIA control panel? If so, you could try to set up a 1920x1080 resolution with 60Hz.

2) Have you played with HDCP settings? I can't remember which way they should be set, but I think a lot of the time that has something to do with resolutions and refresh rates going haywire.
post #4066 of 19471 Old 08-15-2017, 11:20 PM

Quote:

If you tried connecting the GPU via HDMI 2 or 3 and selected Enhanced Format under Settings > External Inputs > Enhanced Format, and still nothing, then there's nothing you can do I'm afraid. It's a GPU limitation. I would recommend selling it to fund an upgrade.

post #4067 of 19471 Old 08-15-2017, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR_ View Post
Okay. Here is another example... pay attention to the right side of the screen as it's more apparent.

https://youtu.be/kDLVTG_OCLk

Yeah I saw a border on mine too. Nothing too crazy. A few millimetres from the edges. Not as deep as yours. But it's definitely noticeable if I keep staring at it. Otherwise it doesn't distract me at all. So it's par for the course.

Update : I didn't see your update. Remember, if it isn't a big deal and if you have an otherwise "perfect" set, I wouldn't risk swapping it out.

Last edited by Mr Berry; 08-15-2017 at 11:35 PM.
post #4068 of 19471 Old 08-15-2017, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Two months. Hope it keeps running for years without issue and they get the 4k apps issue resolved. HDR10+ would be nice too.

Yeah I hope so too! The reason I ask is because you clearly have a good thing going so I wanted to know if you simply put your tv in standby every night or do you switch it off at the wall also?

Thanks.

post #4069 of 19471 Old 08-16-2017, 12:39 AM

Quote:
If you tried connecting the GPU via HDMI 2 or 3 and selected Enhanced Format under Settings > External Inputs > Enhanced Format, and still nothing, then there's nothing you can do I'm afraid. It's a GPU limitation. I would recommend selling it to fund an upgrade.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but are you saying the GPU is limited in the sense that it doesn't recognize the resolution capabilities of the TV? The way I see it, the video card and the TV are both supposed to be capable of 1080p 60hz, so what kind of technical limitation would get in the way of that? To answer your question, yes I tried your suggestions when I was initially trying to get 4k at 60hz and again later when I was trying to make 1080p at 60hz work. I'm aware that this card is older and not really going to handle 4k well, which is why I mentioned this is temporary until I get my new PC built.
post #4070 of 19471 Old 08-16-2017, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptchunk View Post
So my first two thoughts:

1) It's been a while since I've been on an AMD/ATI card, so I'm not sure how this works--are you able to set a custom resolution like how you can with NVIDIA control panel? If so, you could try to set up a 1920x1080 resolution with 60Hz.

2) Have you played with HDCP settings? I can't remember which way they should be set, but I think a lot of the time that has something to do with resolutions and refresh rates going haywire.

1) It is possible to do custom resolutions, but there were several variables I didn't recognize. Most of them have something to do with timing. For example, "G.Pixel Clock (KHz)", "H.Timing Total", "V.Timing Front Porch". I left all of that stuff default, and only changed horizontal res, vertical res and refresh rate. When I tried to apply it I received the message "The custom resolution settings are not compatible with this display. Reconfigure your settings and try again."

2) I'm not sure where to find the HDCP settings. I looked through the TV options and tried googling it.
post #4071 of 19471 Old 08-16-2017, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but are you saying the GPU is limited in the sense that it doesn't recognize the resolution capabilities of the TV? The way I see it, the video card and the TV are both supposed to be capable of 1080p 60hz, so what kind of technical limitation would get in the way of that? To answer your question, yes I tried your suggestions when I was initially trying to get 4k at 60hz and again later when I was trying to make 1080p at 60hz work. I'm aware that this card is older and not really going to handle 4k well, which is why I mentioned this is temporary until I get my new PC built.

Yes the limitation is that your GPU can only do [email protected] over DP. From what I've seen, if a GPU can't do that over HDMI, the TV usually doesn't play well with it. Any GPU with HDMI limitations like this will have issues with certain TV's.

But like you said, you're building a 4K machine so your issues will be short-lived.

post #4072 of 19471 Old 08-16-2017, 04:36 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
1) It is possible to do custom resolutions, but there were several variables I didn't recognize. Most of them have something to do with timing. For example, "G.Pixel Clock (KHz)", "H.Timing Total", "V.Timing Front Porch". I left all of that stuff default, and only changed horizontal res, vertical res and refresh rate. When I tried to apply it I received the message "The custom resolution settings are not compatible with this display. Reconfigure your settings and try again."

2) I'm not sure where to find the HDCP settings. I looked through the TV options and tried googling it.
Ignore my number 2. I seem to be really off-base about that. What HDMI inputs on the TV are you trying this on?
post #4073 of 19471 Old 08-16-2017, 06:46 AM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrawst View Post
I did a test on a 940e at best buy today and it has really bad ghosting.
I am still on the fence between the 940 vs the 900. For me it is all about the motion question, as rtings gave the 940 a really low score on motion. The 940 owners thread seems to have indicated there is not a motion issue. I think I would like the 940, but sometimes I think the 75 inch 900 would be great as well, but though without the additional contrast and Dolby Vision. I am not a videophile by any means, but can tell if I like a picture, watch lots of sports, stream, use OTA attenna, and just dont want to deal with motion/judder issues, etc.
I call it paralyses by analysis. I picked up that term somewhere on this board, and it fits me perfectly at the moment.
post #4074 of 19471 Old 08-16-2017, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Yeah I hope so too! The reason I ask is because you clearly have a good thing going so I wanted to know if you simply put your tv in standby every night or do you switch it off at the wall also?

Thanks.

It stays plugged in, just using remote. I wait 10 seconds after power on for wired Internet to reconnect before doing anything unless just watching OTA TV, since I'm mostly using Internet apps like youtube, amazon, netflix which all work in 4k, just the downloaded third party apps don't seem to support 4k yet.

Mr Berry likes this.

post #4075 of 19471 Old 08-16-2017, 07:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by subacabra View Post
Man, watching some Spiderman cartoons on Disney xd with my little guy and the pq is amaze-balls.
very nice! what type of lighting are you using behind the set? Also how far from the wall is the TV. That's a great setup.
post #4076 of 19471 Old 08-16-2017, 07:09 AM

Quote:
It stays plugged in, just using remote. I wait 10 seconds after power on for wired Internet to reconnect before doing anything unless just watching OTA TV, since I'm mostly using Internet apps like youtube, amazon, netflix which all work in 4k, just the downloaded third party apps don't seem to support 4k yet.

Awesome! Will do the same. Thanks for the input!

post #4077 of 19471 Old 08-16-2017, 07:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1839 Post(s)
Liked: 5271
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddysnake View Post
very nice! what type of lighting are you using behind the set? Also how far from the wall is the TV. That's a great setup.
Hey eddysnake!
I'm using the following:HAMLITE TV LED Bias Lighting USB Backlights for 65 to 75 Inch 
Works great and is a good quality. The adhesive is much better than some other brands I've used. Also, it's more subtle in person, pictures tend to exaggerate the lighting.
The tv is wall mounted I forget exactly which mount I'd have to look but from wall to back of tv is about two inches or so I'd say.
Watched Alien Covenant 4k last night by the way, excellent visuals and sound too!
post #4078 of 19471 Old 08-16-2017, 08:12 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
hey guys, new to the forum. I just recently purchased a new TV(Sony 4K X900E 49") and Receiver (Denon X3400H) and I find that the picture quality seems to be degraded. I have my Cable box (Shaw Portal), PS3, and Nvidia Shield (2017 Version) all hooked up to my new Denon Receiver via HDMI, Then the Receiver hdmi ARC going to the 4k Tv hdmi ARC (input 3) and have Enhanced mode turned on for tv and also in the receiver settings . I have all high end Black Platinum Monster HDMI cables for each source. I have I/P scaler OFF and Video Conversion set to ON, and HDMI pass through set to ON. I just find that the picture on any source I use seems to be a bit grainy/washed out/not crystal clear. its not crazy bad, but just slightly noticeable. Now before I bought the new Denon receiver X3400H, I had a Pioneer VSX-821 Receiver, that I had hooked up to my new Sony 4k tv for a couple of weeks till i bought the new Denon receiver and the picture was crystal clear. Now with the new denon receiver I find, its not as clear, which is weird considering I thought it would be better due to it being a 4k receiver and have the updated hdmi inputs etc. I'm hoping it's in the settings, I'm just not aware of what to change or do. Any help would be greatly appreciated from you guys!. Thanks in advance, look forward to hearing some input!
post #4079 of 19471 Old 08-16-2017, 08:19 AM
KR_

Quote:
Yeah I saw a border on mine too. Nothing too crazy. A few millimetres from the edges. Not as deep as yours. But it's definitely noticeable if I keep staring at it. Otherwise it doesn't distract me at all. So it's par for the course.

Update : I didn't see your update. Remember, if it isn't a big deal and if you have an otherwise "perfect" set, I wouldn't risk swapping it out.

Noted and thanks for your input. Still waiting to hear from Sony reps. I would say mine is about and inch and blooms a half inch more or less. If Sony claims this is a known issue and guarantees the new replacement set won't exhibit this behavior, then I'm going to move forward with it.

To everyone else here: do you all experience this on your TVs? Curious to know how wide spread this might be.

Mr Berry likes this.
post #4080 of 19471 Old 08-16-2017, 08:44 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by twssas View Post
I am still on the fence between the 940 vs the 900. For me it is all about the motion question, as rtings gave the 940 a really low score on motion. The 940 owners thread seems to have indicated there is not a motion issue. I think I would like the 940, but sometimes I think the 75 inch 900 would be great as well, but though without the additional contrast and Dolby Vision. I am not a videophile by any means, but can tell if I like a picture, watch lots of sports, stream, use OTA attenna, and just dont want to deal with motion/judder issues, etc.
I call it paralyses by analysis. I picked up that term somewhere on this board, and it fits me perfectly at the moment.
After what I saw at Best Buy I would absolutely not buy the 940e.

If you can find a demo unit thats hooked up to the web go watch this youtube video:

The black square on the white background leaves a pretty nasty trail. Not as bad as my current samsung which practically leaves full image squares as a ghosting trail but still pretty bad.

Was only able to test the same video on a 65 900e but there was minimal to no ghosting.

TV: Sony XBR75X900E
AVR: Onkyo TX-NR676
Speakers: KEF T205
Devices: Xbox One X, Nvidia Shield TV, Wii U, Cable Box, NES Classic, SNES Classic
PC: Intel Core i5-4670K, 8GB GTX 1070, 500GB Samsung EVO SSD, 16GB DDR3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
issues , motion , motionflow , problems , Sony , sound delay , x900e

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page