2017 Sony XBR 900E owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 162 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 40378Likes

post #4831 of 19137 Old 09-07-2017, 06:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1652 Post(s)
Liked: 4797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post
Speaking of "calibrated sets," when a manufacturer like Sony pushes a firmware update, does that affect the calibration or settings at all? (PQ)
For the love of god I hope not, otherwise that would be money in the trash for me! Lol
Ricoflashback likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4832 of 19137 Old 09-07-2017, 06:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrawst View Post
Rogers, Bell and Cogeco in Ontario Canada all offer sports (for home teams) in 4k.

That's cool that you get some sports content. Obviously, it's all about the cameras - that's why it's for home team coverage only (because the "local" crews have the cameras and equipment capable of it) I would imagine. ATSC3.0 is "here", even if it isn't fully accepted / approved everywhere. Clearly, your sports outfits have adopted enough of it to make it a reality for you to get the content.

We likely won't see any true level of adoption of it in the US for at least another year if not two. Even then, who knows who will do what with it.
post #4833 of 19137 Old 09-07-2017, 07:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My 2 year old XBR-75X850C panel crapped the bed so I went out to find a new set with the mindset of NEVER AGAIN SONY.

However the 75" 900E was just too good to pass up. So far very happy and this time purchased an extended warranty to protect myself from the stress and anger that the crapping out of the 850C caused.

Can anyone link me to some awesome picture settings? I Have used the AVS forums in years past with other sets and have had great results.

Thanks very much
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4834 of 19137 Old 09-07-2017, 07:30 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by mithras1 View Post
Calibrated

This CALIBRATED image looks fantastic. Please post the settings.

(BTW - Oblivion is one of my favorite movies to use to check settings and show off my new displays, great choice. I have the bluray and upscaled on this x900e it looks damn near 4K UHD quality)

Sony 75" X900e 4K HDR TV
Samsung 65" KS8000 4K HDR TV
Samsung HT-E5400 5.1 Smart HTS
X1X GT: JonnyRingo619
PS4 Pro GT: Ringo619

Last edited by BDUB619; 09-07-2017 at 07:58 AM.
post #4835 of 19137 Old 09-07-2017, 07:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1790 Post(s)
Liked: 1267
Quote:
Originally Posted by subacabra View Post
For the love of god I hope not, otherwise that would be money in the trash for me! Lol
LOL - you would think that firmware enhancements/updates wouldn't affect picture settings but my previous TV, a five year old plus Samsung UN65ES8000 constantly pushed updates to the set to where it was affecting the picture quality. I finally turned off any access to updates, period, back in year 1 of the set.

It could be that a professional calibration accesses areas that can't be touched by software updates.

Maybe a professional calibrator who does this for a living can chime in here?

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, BenQ W1080ST, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)
post #4836 of 19137 Old 09-07-2017, 07:38 AM

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by meburdick View Post
Yeah? Where?

Terrestrial broadcast is still maxed out at 1080. I believe there is a small amount of sports content on satellite, but it comes at an extra cost of dollars and complexity (with DTV, anyway).
I have MLB.TV, streaming service that costs $129. for the whole year every game everyday. Streamed in 4K 60fms looks amazing. owned by MLB. If you are a baseball fan and want quality, check it out. I think they offer a $24 for the rest of the year. Might be a chance for you to check it. I run it through my Roku.
BruZZi and Ricoflashback like this.

Any major Dude

Last edited by Jack Taormina; 09-07-2017 at 07:43 AM.
post #4837 of 19137 Old 09-07-2017, 07:41 AM

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
This is bad guidance.

When using the DTV box connected to a 4K set, all available resolutions that the TV will support should be checked and the DTV box should be set to use Native Resolution. This guarantees that the DTV box will not "touch" the content in any way and the TV will do 100% of the upscaling. If you put the DTV box into a mode where it ONLY outputs 1080, then the DTV will box upscale everything except 1080 content, and the TV has to do a "second pass" to upscale everything to 4K. The resulting picture quality is fine with 1080 content, but gets worse as you step down to content that was originally broadcast in 720 and 480.
It's just a test and only takes a second to do. If it doesn't work. He can switch it back to native. To me, either his box is outputting 480i or directv has gotten really bad or worse his TV is defective. I have no other answer as my X900 is almost perfect. The only thing I can find wrong with it ,is it's terrible android operating system. Other than that it's a great TV.
post #4838 of 19137 Old 09-07-2017, 07:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Taormina View Post
I have MLB.TV, streaming service that costs $129. for the whole year every game everyday. Streamed in 4K 60fms looks amazing. owned by MLB. If you are a baseball fan and want quality, check it out. I think they offer a $24 for the rest of the year. Might be a chance for you to check it. I run it through my Roku.
As I said... comes at extra cost of dollars and complexity. Now I need a device or another app (at minimum), AND I have to subscribe to yet another service. And I can't record it to watch later.
post #4839 of 19137 Old 09-07-2017, 08:06 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 6574 Post(s)
Liked: 6570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargus777 View Post
Has Sony given any time frame for when we will get an update to HDR10 plus? I saw where Samsung is updating their entire 2017 line and some 2016 sets to support it. (via software update)
Not that I have seen.....
post #4840 of 19137 Old 09-07-2017, 08:31 AM

Quote:
As I said... comes at extra cost of dollars and complexity. Now I need a device or another app (at minimum), AND I have to subscribe to yet another service. And I can't record it to watch later.
Well that's true but it is the way of the world we live in. Just look at what has what happen to cell bills lately. For everyone like you there are 10 like me who will pay up. BTW on MLB.TV you can replay any game anytime.

Any major Dude
post #4841 of 19137 Old 09-07-2017, 08:32 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 3
If people are going to post pictures showing off calibrated images could you at least post the settings you use? Paging oblivion guy.

Thanks!

I might have to check out the 4k MLB stuff, only problem is they would blackout my Cubs because I live in the state, but would love to see the quality of that over the ****ty comcast signal.
BDUB619 likes this.

Last edited by dorkimoe; 09-07-2017 at 08:39 AM.
post #4842 of 19137 Old 09-07-2017, 08:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1790 Post(s)
Liked: 1267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Taormina View Post
Very nice! I just signed up via my Roku Account and the native Sony apps. Not a bad price to watch teams during the playoff chase. Looking forward to the 4K/60 fms.

ALSO - they have a "free game of the day" that you can access. Might be worth trying it out.

P.S. - we'll see if the Sony "Native Apps" will stream MLB.com. All the games show up just like on the Roku interface.

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, BenQ W1080ST, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)

Last edited by Ricoflashback; 09-07-2017 at 09:49 AM.
post #4843 of 19137 Old 09-07-2017, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddvette9 View Post
I have the Rtings.com settings under the custom tab and I have the AVforums settings under the Cinema Home and Cinema Pro tab. So I have 3 "professional website" settings to switch between depending on content and source and lighting of my room.

I have ALSO tweaked ALL of them to change the color temperature to neutral as the Expert 1 looks too yellow/red to my eyes. (They both suggest that you can change color temperature to make it cooler than Expert 1 which is what I did).

I have also put auto local dimming on medium and xtended dynamic range on medium.

But that's it, the settings are identical to Rtings and AVforums but for the color temperature being a little cooler and the local dimming and dynamic range.

What MINOR tweak would give me that extra pop of saturation or inkiness that the Samsung's have (no I don't want a Samsung so don't say it lol). I am not saying the Standard setting looks good or that I want that level of pop.

I want Custom, Cinema Pro or Cinema Home with a little more pop. There has to be some meter to increase one or two ticks to get the perfect picture for myself.

Is it the live color setting I need to fool around with? Is it the actual color slider I need to fool around with? Is it a combination of the color slider and the black level slider? Could it be something in the Gamma sections to move up or down a tiny bit.

Again, in conclusion, I have the online calibrated settings for Custom (Rtings) and Cinema home and pro (AV Forums) and they look fine to me with the exception of cooling off the picture a little bit which is what I did. I am looking for a suggestion for a SLIGHT tweak to enhance color and make the pop a little more, not a ton more, but 10%-15% more to get those Samsung type colors.

BTW***** as my setting stand now the colors are extremely accurate, which Sony is known for. I'm not requesting higher accuracy of color. Just saturation and pop, which I want a little more but not so much that they change the accuracy. This is an important thing to understand before you guys make reccomendations to me.
First of all, thankyou for your extensive explanation. I really appreciate that. Your settings sound perfect to me, i really like a natural image with just a little extra color/bright pops. ( just like you said the Samsung does).
I also use the AVFORUMS settings for CinemaPRO for a while, can you tell your exact color settings please? I think your settings look really good in the pictures you shared.
Like how you changed the Color temperature to more neutral. COLOR en HUE ?
What did you changed at Advanced color settings to remove the extra yellow and red ? ( I changed it like AVFORUMS reccomends)
G-gain -2
B-gain -7

Ps: Last week i tried to experiment with bt2020 and pci on content that not shot in it. Some Movies look very Nice with sparkling colors on bt2020 even it is not intended. But it's very often everything looks way to red So most of the time I leave the color space setting on auto.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G900F met Tapatalk
post #4844 of 19137 Old 09-07-2017, 10:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 1652 Post(s)
Liked: 4797
Thought I would give that Oblivion scene a try.
First is the calibrated picture.
Second is standard

4k version
post #4845 of 19137 Old 09-07-2017, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Very nice! I just signed up via my Roku Account and the native Sony apps. Not a bad price to watch teams during the playoff chase. Looking forward to the 4K/60 fms.

ALSO - they have a "free game of the day" that you can access. Might be worth trying it out.

P.S. - we'll see if the Sony "Native Apps" will stream MLB.com. All the games show up just like on the Roku interface.
I am a Pirate fan living in Cali. so I love it. Make sure your Roku is plugged in to 2 or 3 for 60fms, I don't use the native apps. Just my preference, Enjoy

Any major Dude
post #4846 of 19137 Old 09-07-2017, 10:55 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddvette9 View Post
I have the Rtings.com settings under the custom tab and I have the AVforums settings under the Cinema Home and Cinema Pro tab. So I have 3 "professional website" settings to switch between depending on content and source and lighting of my room.

I have ALSO tweaked ALL of them to change the color temperature to neutral as the Expert 1 looks too yellow/red to my eyes. (They both suggest that you can change color temperature to make it cooler than Expert 1 which is what I did).

I have also put auto local dimming on medium and xtended dynamic range on medium.

But that's it, the settings are identical to Rtings and AVforums but for the color temperature being a little cooler and the local dimming and dynamic range.

What MINOR tweak would give me that extra pop of saturation or inkiness that the Samsung's have (no I don't want a Samsung so don't say it lol). I am not saying the Standard setting looks good or that I want that level of pop.

I want Custom, Cinema Pro or Cinema Home with a little more pop. There has to be some meter to increase one or two ticks to get the perfect picture for myself.

Is it the live color setting I need to fool around with? Is it the actual color slider I need to fool around with? Is it a combination of the color slider and the black level slider? Could it be something in the Gamma sections to move up or down a tiny bit.

Again, in conclusion, I have the online calibrated settings for Custom (Rtings) and Cinema home and pro (AV Forums) and they look fine to me with the exception of cooling off the picture a little bit which is what I did. I am looking for a suggestion for a SLIGHT tweak to enhance color and make the pop a little more, not a ton more, but 10%-15% more to get those Samsung type colors.

BTW***** as my setting stand now the colors are extremely accurate, which Sony is known for. I'm not requesting higher accuracy of color. Just saturation and pop, which I want a little more but not so much that they change the accuracy. This is an important thing to understand before you guys make reccomendations to me.

Rtings said you can drop the color temp to Warm if Expert 1 is too yellow. Nowhere did they say drop it to Neutral. You can't say your colors are extremely accurate and Neutral in the same breath. Neutral is far from accurate. Change it to Warm if Pop is what you're looking for. Change it to Expert 1 if accuracy is what you're looking for.

If you want more pop, you need to play with 4 things : Increase your Brightness. Rtings level of 4 is too low. That setting is meant for outputting 100 bits in a dark room. Set it to anywhere between 10-15. Move the color slider anywhere between 50-60, set color temp to Warm and play around with Live Color. Though I would leave the latter as a last resort.

Why are you using X-tended Dynamic Range (XDR) on Medium for Non-HDR content? It should be Off or on Low. That's also another thing that will ruin your colors. XDR also won't work on Custom. In case you're wondering.

Mr. Berry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #4847 of 19137 Old 09-07-2017, 12:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by subacabra View Post
Thought I would give that Oblivion scene a try.
First is the calibrated picture.
Second is standard

4k version
Calibrated looks too dark to me and Standard looks too "blue", def has a blue-ish tint.

Sony 75" X900e 4K HDR TV
Samsung 65" KS8000 4K HDR TV
Samsung HT-E5400 5.1 Smart HTS
X1X GT: JonnyRingo619
PS4 Pro GT: Ringo619
post #4848 of 19137 Old 09-07-2017, 02:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Goldman View Post
The issue no has nailed is the fact that all the major manufacturers STOPPED making high quality 1080P large screen TVs a couple of years ago and there aren't any large (>55") screen TVs. So, if you want to move up in screen size you're going to have to move up to 4K. With a top notch TV HD content (720P/1080P - not sure about 1080i - never seen 1080i) looks great on most higher end TVs (except Vizio who seems to have problems with their upscaling algorithms for 720P). I know everyone is working to help you with your decision but at some point you're just going to need to take the plunge and bring one home and find out for yourself if the new TV is an upgrade over your current setup. I will say (having just upgraded to an OLED) that most content looks spectacular but with a large room screen size may be more important (with a still high quality LED). Good luck, I don't think you will be disappointed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrawst View Post
MLB, NHL and NBA games get broadcast in 4k though...
The problem is the flawed logic in the assumption that what was once true -- having native pixel resolution, which has never been the case in practice, and definitely not anymore. Most if not all sets upscale the image to a slight degree, and for my money that's worse than what's happening between 1080p and 4K. 720p sets were designed to be WXGA computer monitors which required a higher resolution, so the 720p signal was upscaled. 1080p changed that, but like with 720p, the source determined the quality. In most cases, a 1080p TV is likely hiding overscan, or the broadcaster is. Both ABC (including ESPN) & FOX, two major sports broadcasters only transmit in 720p. So that's going to affect a lot of this native pixel resolution nonsense immediately.

Quote:
Speaking of "calibrated sets," when a manufacturer like Sony pushes a firmware update, does that affect the calibration or settings at all? (PQ)
Yes. The last update changed some of my picture settings. And unfortunately you cannot back them up and restore the way you would after a firmware update gone wrong on a computer. And Sony firmware updates have gone wrong on this set. You could end up having to do a factory restore which would wipe everything. It's a real potential problem.
post #4849 of 19137 Old 09-07-2017, 03:00 PM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 51
tv turns itself on randomly

I came home today, and my 900e was on as well as the reciever/speaker system. Did a little research, and apparently a few people have had this issue earlier,(weeks ago) and in searching the threads, there seemed to be some differences on how to resolve this issue.

FYI, what I did was go home, settings, troubleshoot, which ultimately prompted me to disable Bravia Sync which automatically turns the tv on with other hdmi devices. So, I have done that, and hopefully that will resolve the matter. Will have to monitor.

Just curious, anyone else have this issue recently?
post #4850 of 19137 Old 09-07-2017, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twssas View Post
I came home today, and my 900e was on as well as the reciever/speaker system. Did a little research, and apparently a few people have had this issue earlier,(weeks ago) and in searching the threads, there seemed to be some differences on how to resolve this issue.

FYI, what I did was go home, settings, troubleshoot, which ultimately prompted me to disable Bravia Sync which automatically turns the tv on with other hdmi devices. So, I have done that, and hopefully that will resolve the matter. Will have to monitor.

Just curious, anyone else have this issue recently?

Yes it's a known issue. Turning off Bravia sync fixes it.

post #4851 of 19137 Old 09-07-2017, 03:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Berry View Post
Yes it's a known issue. Turning off Bravia sync fixes it.

???

Turning off the IP Control fixes it.
post #4852 of 19137 Old 09-07-2017, 03:45 PM

Can someone please tell me why my PC says my TV's native resolution is 1080p when HDMI format is Standard? Enhanced format says native is 2160p. What's happening?

post #4853 of 19137 Old 09-07-2017, 03:46 PM

Quote:
???

Turning off the IP Control fixes it.

What's the confusion?

post #4854 of 19137 Old 09-07-2017, 03:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
What's the confusion?

The "confusion" is that you're wrong.

Bravia Sync is HDMI-CEC and allows a connected device to turn your TV on when -IT- powers on. The known problem with TV's turning on seemingly by themselves has to do with the IP Control feature where a remote device ON YOUR NETWORK (not needing to be HDMI-Connected to your TV) is able to power the TV on. It's essentially a "Wake on LAN" type of packet that pretty much any network-connected device could send to the TV.
Mr Berry likes this.
post #4855 of 19137 Old 09-07-2017, 03:51 PM

Quote:

Bravia Sync is HDMI-CEC and allows a connected device to turn your TV on when -IT- powers on. The known problem with TV's turning on seemingly by themselves has to do with the IP Control feature where a remote device ON YOUR NETWORK (not needing to be HDMI-Connected to your TV) is able to power the TV on. It's essentially a "Wake on LAN" type of packet that pretty much any network-connected device could send to the TV.

Okay maybe that's what I meant. I have to check the labeling.

The confusion is that I'm the one confused, LOL.

Madmax67 likes this.
post #4856 of 19137 Old 09-07-2017, 03:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Okay maybe that's what I meant. I have to check the labeling.

The confusion is that I'm the one confused, LOL.

Wait... It's you? Not me? Now I really -AM- confused.
Mr Berry likes this.
post #4857 of 19137 Old 09-07-2017, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Wait... It's you? Not me? Now I really -AM- confused.

Lol, hey I'm human okay. I'm allowed to make a few...many mistakes

post #4858 of 19137 Old 09-07-2017, 05:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
What's the confusion?

Hello,
How and where do you turn this off?
post #4859 of 19137 Old 09-07-2017, 05:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:

Hello,
Where do you shut off the IP control?
post #4860 of 19137 Old 09-07-2017, 05:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 876 Post(s)
Liked: 308
So how do you turn off IP control?

Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement