2017 Sony XBR 900E owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 163 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 40378Likes

post #4861 of 19141 Old 09-07-2017, 06:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg3 View Post
So how do you turn off IP control?
It's probably in the Pro settings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4862 of 19141 Old 09-07-2017, 06:58 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Goldman View Post
I know everyone is working to help you with your decision but at some point you're just going to need to take the plunge and bring one home and find out for yourself if the new TV is an upgrade over your current setup. Good luck, I don't think you will be disappointed.
Just waltzed into Best Buy, plunked down $1,799, and will have a 65X900E up on the wall on Wednesday.

Thanks to all for the advice. Fingers crossed my 1080 looks great with the 75% upscaling and 10 extra inches.
shyguy3763 and sk373 like this.
post #4863 of 19141 Old 09-07-2017, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post

Here are the specs I see for your sound bar. Also - - since it's a Sony, ARC should play nice with a Sony TV. (Translation - - no changes, whatsover, to your existing setup. Just route the HDMI from your sound bar to HDMI3 on the Sony 900E.)
Just placed my order for the 65X900E, thanks again for the help Rico.

Question about your comment above....Is there a reason I should use the HDMI 3 input on the 900E instead of another?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4864 of 19141 Old 09-07-2017, 07:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1790 Post(s)
Liked: 1267
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjames View Post
Just placed my order for the 65X900E, thanks again for the help Rico.

Question about your comment above....Is there a reason I should use the HDMI 3 input on the 900E instead of another?
Congrats! The only ARC capable HDMI input on the Sony 900E is HDMI3. Hence the sound bar won't work via ARC with any other Sony input on 900E.

P.S. - you'll really notice the size difference from a 55" to a 65" set. A whole new experience.
boltjames likes this.

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, BenQ W1080ST, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)
post #4865 of 19141 Old 09-07-2017, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post
Congrats! The only ARC capable HDMI input on the Sony 900E is HDMI3. Hence the sound bar won't work via ARC with any other Sony input on 900E.
Got it, thanks.

Does HDMI3 also handle 4K and HDR throughput? Or is that only via one of the other HDMI inputs on the TV?

Also, if Apple comes out with a 4K Apple TV, connecting it through my old Sony HT-CT150 as the HDMI switcher, it will not provide 4K because the HDMI ports on the CT150 are not compatible, correct? So if that's the case I'll have to velcro the Apple TV to the back of the panel to connect it to one of the HDMI inputs. If I put it in, say, HDMI1 and then use the optical cable back to the CT150, will I get a 4K picture from the Apple TV and audio from the CT150? Or the fact that HDMI1 isn't ARC ruins that possibility?
post #4866 of 19141 Old 09-07-2017, 08:21 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Could someone PLEASE tell me what setting I need to do to have the tv stop telling me "HueyModule has stopped working" I turned off most android notifications but it still pops up. I dont even know what that is, nor do I care.
post #4867 of 19141 Old 09-08-2017, 02:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked: 289
To those asking about the settings: I clearly mentioned twice the pictures/screenshots were from a review (to which I posted a link on page 2 of this thread already https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...l#post51403265
Unfortunately they are of the school that doesn't believe in publishing settings as each set has variances (and seeing calibration is also his/their job they prefer to offer calibration services). Honestly I don't think they will differ much form most of the published calibrated. I have actually registered on their forum but I don't speak the language, best I could do is see if I can get everything but the white balance settings.
I am also no more than a calibrated settings copier and tinkerer but the majority of content I watch (these days) is sports. I usually try a few published settings and check the contrast settings and black level with the AVS test disc and set the Sports mode by copying over the settings and custom set the Motionflow or just use Clear.
To be clear: the type of content you watch doesn't make a difference as to what the correct colors are. A correctly calibrated set will show the actual colors no matter what content you watch be it sports, anime, movies, etc. .

I thought I had posted some other settings from a German review but I don't know where I left them so I will have to translate everything again and will put them up later. One thing of note already is that the Black Level is at 49 instead of 50 so perhaps it will lead to a slightly richer looking picture. If you don't want to wait they were also written down/copied here in post #2 (as they came from a Youtube video): http://www.hifi-forum.de/index.php?a...44&thread=9290 (and that is a X900E settings thread but I normally don't try out other user's settings as I might as well mess around with the settings myself without any calibration equipment. To be clear the post #2 in the link I posted are calibrated settings from a review on Youtube, the rest of the thread is a mix of people's tinkering results and also settings that have been posted here on AVS)

Also I believe DNice owns an X900E, maybe he can provide some ballpark settings just as he did for the A1E (although iirc that was just for white balance).

Last edited by mithras1; 09-08-2017 at 02:34 AM.
post #4868 of 19141 Old 09-08-2017, 02:35 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkimoe View Post
Could someone PLEASE tell me what setting I need to do to have the tv stop telling me "HueyModule has stopped working" I turned off most android notifications but it still pops up. I dont even know what that is, nor do I care.
I would also like the answer to this question. I can still return my set if this is a common problem.
post #4869 of 19141 Old 09-08-2017, 05:26 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Hello,

I purchased a 900E 65" last week and then also bought an HTNT5 soundbar to go with it, ditching my very old LG720P set and old Sony receiver. I spent months debating about whether to go with LG OLED as I do think it's superior, but just couldn't justify spending that much on a TV.

I do have to say that the picture on the 900E is fantastic, and I have no regrets. The viewing angle is definitely too narrow but I can put up with some minor quality loss when off center if it saves me ~$1,750

One thing I've been wondering though is how much backlight bleed I should expect or is thought to be normal. The panel seems to have good uniformity (at least to my eyes), but in dark scenes, there's almost a 1 or 2 inch ribbon around the perimeter of the screen that is slightly brighter than the rest. I'm surprised by this given that it's direct lit, and it's not necessarily a deal-breaker but I thought some of you experts could tell me whether this is fairly normal / acceptable or of I should be marching back to Best Buy for an exchange. I attached a pic which I know does not properly catch the screen quality and is making it all seem too bright, but it does demonstrate what it is I'm talking about around the perimeter. Note that it seems to be worse when HDR is enabled and the screen is at max brightness.

As mentioned, I'm coming from a very old LCD so I'm not up to date on what is considered normal or tolerable for a panel.

Thanks in advance
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5492.JPG (65.3 KB, 151 views)
post #4870 of 19141 Old 09-08-2017, 05:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 993 Post(s)
Liked: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnstone View Post
Hello,

I purchased a 900E 65" last week and then also bought an HTNT5 soundbar to go with it, ditching my very old LG720P set and old Sony receiver. I spent months debating about whether to go with LG OLED as I do think it's superior, but just couldn't justify spending that much on a TV.

I do have to say that the picture on the 900E is fantastic, and I have no regrets. The viewing angle is definitely too narrow but I can put up with some minor quality loss when off center if it saves me ~$1,750

One thing I've been wondering though is how much backlight bleed I should expect or is thought to be normal. The panel seems to have good uniformity (at least to my eyes), but in dark scenes, there's almost a 1 or 2 inch ribbon around the perimeter of the screen that is slightly brighter than the rest. I'm surprised by this given that it's direct lit, and it's not necessarily a deal-breaker but I thought some of you experts could tell me whether this is fairly normal / acceptable or of I should be marching back to Best Buy for an exchange. I attached a pic which I know does not properly catch the screen quality and is making it all seem too bright, but it does demonstrate what it is I'm talking about around the perimeter. Note that it seems to be worse when HDR is enabled and the screen is at max brightness.

As mentioned, I'm coming from a very old LCD so I'm not up to date on what is considered normal or tolerable for a panel.

Thanks in advance
Enabling Local Dimming, lowering your brightness, and using a setting such as Cinema Pro come to mind when I see something like this on the display. Try enabling/adjusting these settings as a starting point to see what happens.

Sony XBR55X900E
Marantz SR7010/Marantz MM7025
Oppo UDP-203 - Nvidia Shield
XBox One X
Klipsch RP-260f - RP-440C - RP140sa- RP-160m - RB10 - Sony SA-WM500
post #4871 of 19141 Old 09-08-2017, 05:46 AM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeffeMusic View Post
Hello,
How and where do you turn this off?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeffeMusic View Post
Hello,
Where do you shut off the IP control?
Quote:
so how do you turn off IP control?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlppimp View Post
It's probably in the Pro settings.
At least for me, these are excellent questions. Can anyone help answer this question about the IP control.
I had posed a question yesterday about my set turning on randomly, and I turned off Bravia sync which allows hdmi devices to turn the tv on through them.

Then it seems the problem is linked somehow to IP control. I also dont have a clue what it is , or where to find it.

Thanks in advance.
post #4872 of 19141 Old 09-08-2017, 05:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkimoe View Post
I have googled & cant find a answer. Anybody on this forum have a answer?
post #4873 of 19141 Old 09-08-2017, 06:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

It could be a combination of things such as hardware attached to the display which includes cables and how they are configured, or possible out of date apps. Is the Sony's OS up to date, are you using any peripherals that may cause this error?

I had a "LiveTV stopped working" error appear because I had my Nvidia Shield installed in the HDMI in of my Oppo 203. A few adjustments between the Android TV interfaces between both the TV and the Shield fix that problem, but ultimately, I remove the Shield from the HDMI input.

If you can "intentionally" reproduce this error, then that's a good starting point because you it will help pinpoint when the error occurs.

Sony XBR55X900E
XBox One X
post #4874 of 19141 Old 09-08-2017, 06:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Sounds like best way to deal with this tv is to turn off internet connection after firmware updates and get a 4K Roku
Madmax67 likes this.

Matt
post #4875 of 19141 Old 09-08-2017, 06:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 80
watched Alien Covenant 4k UHD the other night and just want to chime in and again say that I love this TV. Cheers!
Ricoflashback and green666 like this.
post #4876 of 19141 Old 09-08-2017, 07:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Sounds like best way to deal with this tv is to turn off internet connection after firmware updates and get a 4K Roku
Thanks. I just turned it off.Already have the 4k Roku.
mattg3 likes this.
post #4877 of 19141 Old 09-08-2017, 07:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by twssas View Post
At least for me, these are excellent questions. Can anyone help answer this question about the IP control.
I had posed a question yesterday about my set turning on randomly, and I turned off Bravia sync which allows hdmi devices to turn the tv on through them.

Then it seems the problem is linked somehow to IP control. I also dont have a clue what it is , or where to find it.

Thanks in advance.
I can find the details tonight when I'm back home if someone doesn't beat me to it.
post #4878 of 19141 Old 09-08-2017, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove93 View Post
Enabling Local Dimming, lowering your brightness, and using a setting such as Cinema Pro come to mind when I see something like this on the display. Try enabling/adjusting these settings as a starting point to see what happens.

I do have local dimming on max, and in normal viewing my brightness is at 6 - this definitely reduces the problem but for HDR doesn't it automatically kick the brightness up to max?

That being said, even at a brightness of 6 the issue is still noticeable, just not as obvious.

So you're not thinking its bad enough to warrant the hassle of exchange / return?
post #4879 of 19141 Old 09-08-2017, 07:12 AM

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjames View Post
Got it, thanks.

Does HDMI3 also handle 4K and HDR throughput? Or is that only via one of the other HDMI inputs on the TV?

Also, if Apple comes out with a 4K Apple TV, connecting it through my old Sony HT-CT150 as the HDMI switcher, it will not provide 4K because the HDMI ports on the CT150 are not compatible, correct? So if that's the case I'll have to velcro the Apple TV to the back of the panel to connect it to one of the HDMI inputs. If I put it in, say, HDMI1 and then use the optical cable back to the CT150, will I get a 4K picture from the Apple TV and audio from the CT150? Or the fact that HDMI1 isn't ARC ruins that possibility?
HDMI 2 and 3 are 4K with HDR
HDMI 3 is ARC which allows the TV to send sound from the built in apps back over the HDMI cable to your sound bar.

Optical Audio outing the Apple TV to the Sound bar and HDMI'ing it into HDMI 2 will get you 4k HDR from the apple tv (assuming it does HDR) and sound from the sound bar.

TV: Sony XBR75X900E
AVR: Onkyo TX-NR676
Speakers: KEF T205
Devices: Xbox One X, Nvidia Shield TV, Wii U, Cable Box, NES Classic, SNES Classic
PC: Intel Core i5-4670K, 8GB GTX 1070, 500GB Samsung EVO SSD, 16GB DDR3
post #4880 of 19141 Old 09-08-2017, 07:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I do have local dimming on max, and in normal viewing my brightness is at 6 - this definitely reduces the problem but for HDR doesn't it automatically kick the brightness up to max?

That being said, even at a brightness of 6 the issue is still noticeable, just not as obvious.

So you're not thinking its bad enough to warrant the hassle of exchange / return?
What about your Motion Flow settings? Is motion flow on or off? If enabled, minimizing "clearness" will darken the display.

Lowering Gamma and Black Level will also darken the image as well.

Also be sure that your HDMI input is set to Enhanced. (HDMI 2, 3/arc)

For HDR, for me at least, I'm always expecting a darker image, where the contrast is more intense regarding colors compared to SDR.

Sony XBR55X900E
XBox One X

Last edited by groove93; 09-08-2017 at 07:25 AM.
post #4881 of 19141 Old 09-08-2017, 07:23 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:

If it bothers you now, it's probably always going to bother you. If anything with time it's only probably going to get worse, as the LEDs age. My TV doesn't have anything like this problem. So whether it's bad enough to get a replacement or not is entirely up to your happiness with it.

As for HDR, yes the brightness is ramped up to max, but that's because the picture source is so much darker. The point is to allow the brights to pop out of the picture as they would naturally, rather than blend into the wash of standard contrast. So that's not likely to create an issue for you. However, if you haven't checked the set with an HDR source, you probably should immediately. This problem sounds like a defect to me, and if it is, there's no way to know how it will appear with an HDR source.
post #4882 of 19141 Old 09-08-2017, 07:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I'm planning to move all of my "smart" features outside the set with an Apple TV when they presumably update it for 4K HDR next week.

However, turning off the firmware updates may be a way to preserve your investment in picture calibration, however, if Sony does update the 900e to Dolby Vision, you'll have a tough choice to make ... Live without DV, or lose your calibrated settings.

Is there a reason the calibtrated settings can't be written down and simply re-entered after a firmware update that may affect them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrawst View Post
HDMI 2 and 3 are 4K with HDR
HDMI 3 is ARC which allows the TV to send sound from the built in apps back over the HDMI cable to your sound bar.

Optical Audio outing the Apple TV to the Sound bar and HDMI'ing it into HDMI 2 will get you 4k HDR from the apple tv (assuming it does HDR) and sound from the sound bar.
Unless Apple TV adds back an Optical port, there's no way to get an optical output. HDMI is the only way get audio out of an Apple TV at present. All indications are that it will get a 4K HDR update next week. Hard to imagine them adding back an optical port.
post #4883 of 19141 Old 09-08-2017, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac128 View Post
If it bothers you now, it's probably always going to bother you. If anything with time it's only probably going to get worse, as the LEDs age. My TV doesn't have anything like this problem. So whether it's bad enough to get a replacement or not is entirely up to your happiness with it.

As for HDR, yes the brightness is ramped up to max, but that's because the picture source is so much darker. The point is to allow the brights to pop out of the picture as they would naturally, rather than blend into the wash of standard contrast. So that's not likely to create an issue for you. However, if you haven't checked the set with an HDR source, you probably should immediately. This problem sounds like a defect to me, and if it is, there's no way to know how it will appear with an HDR source.

Thanks for the response, and to groove93 as well.

Motionflow is usually off, and yes I am getting HDR through the ARC HDMI input, and the pic in my original post was utilizing HDR.

I will perform more testing and see what my tolerance is, but I guess I'm wondering whether this issue is bad enough in your eyes to warrant the gamble of getting a different set. From what I understand, you play the panel lottery when buying one of these and an exchange may mean I end up with a set that doesn't have this specific problem, but may suffer from different, possible worse issues. This is a possibility, no?
post #4884 of 19141 Old 09-08-2017, 07:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Motionflow is usually off, and yes I am getting HDR through the ARC HDMI input, and the pic in my original post was utilizing HDR.

I will perform more testing and see what my tolerance is, but I guess I'm wondering whether this issue is bad enough in your eyes to warrant the gamble of getting a different set. From what I understand, you play the panel lottery when buying one of these and an exchange may mean I end up with a set that doesn't have this specific problem, but may suffer from different, possible worse issues. This is a possibility, no?
Is HDR for your display set to Auto or is it enabled for everything. You shouldn't be seeing HDR at the Netflix Menu Screen, only when the video is playing.

Sony XBR55X900E
XBox One X
post #4885 of 19141 Old 09-08-2017, 08:31 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6583 Post(s)
Liked: 6580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac128 View Post
If it bothers you now, it's probably always going to bother you.
Sometimes its just worth saying its good enough, chasing perfection is for the birds.......
aflorida likes this.
post #4886 of 19141 Old 09-08-2017, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Is HDR for your display set to Auto or is it enabled for everything. You shouldn't be seeing HDR at the Netflix Menu Screen, only when the video is playing.

HDR is auto. Sorry if I was mistaken, that was an HDR program but I didn't realize it would have kicked out of HDR in that menu screen... even so, the photo I took is a good representation of what the issue looks like.

I also find it odd that the majority of the bleed issue is a perfectly uniform strip around the entire perimeter of the screen... that strikes me as odd given that this is not an edge lit set. I was also thinking of trying that bleed "fix" where by putting some pressure on the screen to rub it toward the outer edge may help...
post #4887 of 19141 Old 09-08-2017, 08:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

@CLE avland Plasma has a good point, which have also observed, you could get a panel with an even worse problem. That said I didn't see your picture. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/attach...2&d=1504873114

A menu is not exactly the best kind of image on which to base this kind of decision. Post a screen shot of a dark scene from a movie. If there's the same kind of thick bright band around the entire perimeter in that too, then it is definitely something I could not live with.

The opening of Petes Dragon has some excellent footage to use for this kind of bleed and is ultimately what convinced me to dump my LG and spend the extra $1K on the Sony. If I had a thick illuminated border around the permitter of every program I watched, I wouldn't have spent the extra $1K. Since I know it's not normal, I would never accept that.

If you only notice it on menu and test screens, but not regular viewing, then I wouldn't worry about it at all.
groove93 likes this.
post #4888 of 19141 Old 09-08-2017, 09:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Or if you have a copy of older Scope films such as 2001 or Lawrence of Arabia, play the first few minutes. When I played them on my set up, I thought the TV was turned off and just the audio was playing.

Sony XBR55X900E
XBox One X
post #4889 of 19141 Old 09-08-2017, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowop View Post
I have emailed Sony, doubt I will get an answer. Keep bumping this question. There is no way someone doesnt have a solution. I have a hard time recommending any TV with android after this annoying bug.
post #4890 of 19141 Old 09-08-2017, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowop View Post
I emailed Sony, doubt I will get an answer from them. I really figured someone here would know. I have disabled notifications on about 10 things in the app menu that I thought could be it. Including the one thats erroring.

Quote:
It could be a combination of things such as hardware attached to the display which includes cables and how they are configured, or possible out of date apps. Is the Sony's OS up to date, are you using any peripherals that may cause this error?

I had a "LiveTV stopped working" error appear because I had my Nvidia Shield installed in the HDMI in of my Oppo 203. A few adjustments between the Android TV interfaces between both the TV and the Shield fix that problem, but ultimately, I remove the Shield from the HDMI input.

If you can "intentionally" reproduce this error, then that's a good starting point because you it will help pinpoint when the error occurs.
I have comcast box, ps4 and xbox connected, nothing else. It happens just watching live tv, happens watching stuff over wifi. It doesnt close anything or cause any problems, just pops up randomly, cant seem to reproduce it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
issues , motion , motionflow , problems , Sony , sound delay , x900e

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page