2017 Sony XBR 900E owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 193 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 40444Likes

post #5761 of 19521 Old 10-05-2017, 05:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1439 Post(s)
Liked: 272
I think the 55XBR900E may be the best bang for the buck this year in terms of picture quality and specifications, especially at the current price point, and compared to the other choices. Last year it was the 55KS8000 from Samsung, but this year the MU8000 lacks the same specs with no quantum dots, and the QLED is a major jump in price and in some reviews is no better than last year's models. So I think this year this Sony model should be a serious contender. I played around with one in the store recently and it looked very good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5762 of 19521 Old 10-05-2017, 07:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I bought a chrome cast ultra; a roku ultra; as well as downloaded to usb several 4k hdr videos. I compared the YouTube video output from all of these devices to the native YouTube app.

They were almost all identical. The roku ultra had issues until I got the right hdmi cable. The onboard YouTube app is in hdr. It does not display it in the menu but it is playing in hdr. When I tried my pc, which has a Gtx 1080ti, without hdr enabled through the windows 10 creators update, there was a clear difference in performance.
post #5763 of 19521 Old 10-05-2017, 08:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
49" 900E Use with PC / HDR 60Hz Refresh

Hi all. I've been a member of AVSForum for something like two decades now, though I've been absent a while so it's nice to be back.

Anyway just got the TV on a whim and am impressed. I'm replacing a lower-end Samsung 4K 55" that I was using mostly for PC gaming, with the 49" 900E. I mounted the tv on the wall and pushed a pretty small desk up against the wall so there is maybe 3' distance from screen to eyeball. I like the immersive effect.

Anyway I had no idea that TV HDR was even a thing until getting the set home. Fallout 4 in 4K HDR is mind blowing... it felt like Neo eating the red pill or however it went when it flipped from non-HDR to HDR. I was surprised though that it seemed to only want to do 4K HDR at 30 Hz. So i did at least a minimal amount of research and I guess that limitation was due to pixel clock limitations due to the extra bits on every pixel that take up signal bandwidth.

I got HDMI 2 cables thinking that would make a difference but it didn't (at least not immediately). Some more digging however turned up the Nvidia control panel custom resolutions, and after frustration with that a bit more digging turned up Custom Resolution Utility (CRU).

Long story short (er, at least) i did manage to flip, check, and mangle things on the HDMI and HDMI 2 pages to the point where it's now doing 10bpc YCbCr 4K 60Hz, which was pretty much my goal. I'm curious if I can get it to do 444 but a lot of the impetus to fiddle with it is gone given that I've achieved the objective.

Oh, this is paired to an EVGA 1070 GTX.

Anyway here's the screen shot (no "Apply" button in the bottom right means this is current settings...)
https:
imgur.com/
a/
u8sHY

(sorry i'm in the noob ghetto I can't post files or links)

I'm sure there's some way to dig out the CRU settings if there's interest, or worst case write them down or more screen shots or something.

TTYL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5764 of 19521 Old 10-06-2017, 12:46 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 12
So am really concerned about reflections as I have returned a number of tvs because of them. Its difficult to make judgments at the store. I'm placing the tv in a smallish room with windows covered and two fluorescent bulbs of average brightness in the ceiling fan in the middle of the room facing away from the tv. Every newish tv I've bought has had that semi-gloss diffused foggy mirror look that was awful and ruined dark scenes. If it diffuses light, why is it still so bright? I am currently still using a 9 year old Panasonic TV that has a thick glossy finish. It doesn't diffuse light and reflections are smaller and well defined. However, the gloss is very DARK and makes reflections look very dark, like looking at the surface of a black tempered glass desk as opposed to a cheap and bright Walmart plastic mirror. I'm sure there must be a reason why they stopped using that coating but the current ones seem intolerable to me. I recently bought and returned a Sony x720e, for example, because of the reflections, as well as the IPS glow.

So getting to the point. Rtings gives the x900e a reflection percentage of 1.2% which sounds a lot better than the 2.4 % of the x720e. Is there a dramatic difference in the semi-gloss coatings that would make the x900e tolerable to me? Are the reflections remarkably darker, or just diffused? I've also read that higher end tvs use fancier coatings with purple and blue tints. Are these like the coatings on smartphones, ipads, and macbooks? I am perfectly fine with those, but those tvs are our of my price range and don't come in smaller sizes. I just want to know how well the x900e handles reflections and whether they are dark or not.
post #5765 of 19521 Old 10-06-2017, 03:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1804 Post(s)
Liked: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericthemidget View Post
I bought a chrome cast ultra; a roku ultra; as well as downloaded to usb several 4k hdr videos. I compared the YouTube video output from all of these devices to the native YouTube app.

They were almost all identical. The roku ultra had issues until I got the right hdmi cable. The onboard YouTube app is in hdr. It does not display it in the menu but it is playing in hdr. When I tried my pc, which has a Gtx 1080ti, without hdr enabled through the windows 10 creators update, there was a clear difference in performance.
When you say the "onboard YouTube app is in hdr," do you mean the native YouTube app on the TV? If so, that contradicts what others have reported.

When I play YouTube HDR content on my 75x900E, and go to picture settings, it doesn't show HDR at the top, as it does when playing Amazon or Netflix HDR sources using the TV's native apps. This would seem to demonstrate that there is no HDR in use with the native YouTube app.

How are you confirming whether or not the TV is engaging and displaying HDR when using the native TV YouTube app?

JVC NX7, DCR Lens, Marantz SR7010, Screen Innovations 160" 2.35:1 Screen
Front L/R: Duntech Sovereigns, powered by 2 bridged Adcom GFA-555
Center: Revel C208 powered by Cambridge Audio Azur 851W
Dolby Bed (4): Sony Core SS-CS5, Atmos (4): Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SE
Subwoofer: DIY 8' sub with 4 18" SI Drivers, powered by iNuke 6000
post #5766 of 19521 Old 10-06-2017, 04:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwolf0 View Post
So am really concerned about reflections as I have returned a number of tvs because of them. Its difficult to make judgments at the store. I'm placing the tv in a smallish room with windows covered and two fluorescent bulbs of average brightness in the ceiling fan in the middle of the room facing away from the tv. Every newish tv I've bought has had that semi-gloss diffused foggy mirror look that was awful and ruined dark scenes. If it diffuses light, why is it still so bright? I am currently still using a 9 year old Panasonic TV that has a thick glossy finish. It doesn't diffuse light and reflections are smaller and well defined. However, the gloss is very DARK and makes reflections look very dark, like looking at the surface of a black tempered glass desk as opposed to a cheap and bright Walmart plastic mirror. I'm sure there must be a reason why they stopped using that coating but the current ones seem intolerable to me. I recently bought and returned a Sony x720e, for example, because of the reflections, as well as the IPS glow.

So getting to the point. Rtings gives the x900e a reflection percentage of 1.2% which sounds a lot better than the 2.4 % of the x720e. Is there a dramatic difference in the semi-gloss coatings that would make the x900e tolerable to me? Are the reflections remarkably darker, or just diffused? I've also read that higher end tvs use fancier coatings with purple and blue tints. Are these like the coatings on smartphones, ipads, and macbooks? I am perfectly fine with those, but those tvs are our of my price range and don't come in smaller sizes. I just want to know how well the x900e handles reflections and whether they are dark or not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwolf0 View Post
am really concerned about reflections
I was also concerned about reflections prior to my purchase of a 65" 900E. I found that this TV to be more reflective than I had hoped. I would call the reflection as "diffuse". I have a reasonably bright room with white walls and multiple dark paintings that are reflected during dark scenes. I managed to slightly change the angle of the TV to reduce the reflected patterns at my seating spot.
I also found the "off axis" picture degradation was more significant that I had expected, even after most reviews mentioning this issue.
Nevertheless, this TV has a great picture. I mostly use it to view up-converted cable, and find the picture viewing experience very satisfying / enjoyable. Since there is no "perfect" TV, I suggest you take this home, watch it, and see if the great picture the vast majority of the time makes the reflections on relatively brief dark scenes tolerable to you.
post #5767 of 19521 Old 10-06-2017, 05:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1231 Post(s)
Liked: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLCPhoto View Post
When you say the "onboard YouTube app is in hdr," do you mean the native YouTube app on the TV? If so, that contradicts what others have reported.

When I play YouTube HDR content on my 75x900E, and go to picture settings, it doesn't show HDR at the top, as it does when playing Amazon or Netflix HDR sources using the TV's native apps. This would seem to demonstrate that there is no HDR in use with the native YouTube app.

How are you confirming whether or not the TV is engaging and displaying HDR when using the native TV YouTube app?
No display in the 900e line supports hdR via Youtube.
bradman and Mr Berry like this.

Sony XBR55X900E
Marantz SR7010/Marantz MM7025
Oppo UDP-203 - Nvidia Shield
XBox One X
Klipsch RP-260f - RP-440C - RP140sa- RP-160m - RB10 - Sony SA-WM500
post #5768 of 19521 Old 10-06-2017, 06:30 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjroos View Post
I found that this TV to be more reflective than I had hoped.
This TV definitely is not matte in the traditional LCD sense and is much more reflective. Not glossy like Samsungs but I do turn down the lights behind me as they are a distraction.
post #5769 of 19521 Old 10-06-2017, 06:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLCPhoto View Post

The Chromecast Ultra will do YouTube in HDR. My son and I sat down last night and watched YouTube HDR videos through the ChromeCast and then watched them through the native app on the TV. The Chromecast showed HDR when I brought up the picture menu the TV did not. However, the picture was identical. When we watched it using the PC and Apple TV there was a huge difference. So, either I'm an idiot and wrong which is very much possible, or the native app plays in HDR but doesn't flag the set.
post #5770 of 19521 Old 10-06-2017, 06:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson47 View Post
This TV definitely is not matte in the traditional LCD sense and is much more reflective. Not glossy like Samsungs but I do turn down the lights behind me as they are a distraction.
The set is WAY too reflective. We have ours in the basement which has a bar with a mirror behind it. I had to move the TV so that we were 100% out of line of sight of the mirror because it was causing issues. We moved the set into a different area and now our issue is that soffit in our basement causes a shadow and reflection due to the satin paint the previous owners used. I am in the process of repainting our basement in a flat paint to stop the reflection.
post #5771 of 19521 Old 10-06-2017, 06:57 AM

Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 172
2017 Sony XBR 900E owners thread (No Price Talk)

Quote:
The Chromecast Ultra will do YouTube in HDR. My son and I sat down last night and watched YouTube HDR videos through the ChromeCast and then watched them through the native app on the TV. The Chromecast showed HDR when I brought up the picture menu the TV did not. However, the picture was identical. When we watched it using the PC and Apple TV there was a huge difference. So, either I'm an idiot and wrong which is very much possible, or the native app plays in HDR but doesn't flag the set.

Could you perhaps post the links to the videos you were watching? And do you manually set the Brightness and XDR to max? And in Video options, is everything set to Auto?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Mr Berry; 10-06-2017 at 07:01 AM.
post #5772 of 19521 Old 10-06-2017, 06:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You're displaying HDR via the The Chromecast Ultra, not the native Youtube App on the display. Also i would recommend that HDR on your display is set to "Auto" rather than forced.

Sony XBR55X900E
XBox One X
post #5773 of 19521 Old 10-06-2017, 06:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1804 Post(s)
Liked: 883
Quote:
Interesting. I'll have to play around with this when I have time.

Thanks for the updated info.

JVC NX7, DCR Lens, Marantz SR7010, Screen Innovations 160" 2.35:1 Screen
Front L/R: Duntech Sovereigns, powered by 2 bridged Adcom GFA-555
Center: Revel C208 powered by Cambridge Audio Azur 851W
Dolby Bed (4): Sony Core SS-CS5, Atmos (4): Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SE
Subwoofer: DIY 8' sub with 4 18" SI Drivers, powered by iNuke 6000
post #5774 of 19521 Old 10-06-2017, 07:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove93 View Post
You're displaying HDR via the The Chromecast Ultra, not the native Youtube App on the display. Also i would recommend that HDR on your display is set to "Auto" rather than forced.

We have it set to auto. Also, the Chromecast will not flag HDR on other Youtube videos. I don't have access to the links right now as I'm in my office but the ones I recall are the LG Chess video, the LG music, and Sony fireworks.
post #5775 of 19521 Old 10-06-2017, 07:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
We have it set to auto. Also, the Chromecast will not flag HDR on other Youtube videos. I don't have access to the links right now as I'm in my office but the ones I recall are the LG Chess video, the LG music, and Sony fireworks.
The only means of telling if the display is outputting in hdR is by hitting the action menu on your remote, then going to the video settings to where you may or may not see "Hdr" in the upper-right hand corner. Plus, if the video is in HDR, the menu will have a darker tone.

Other than making sure the Chromecast is inserted into HDMI 2 or 3 with Enhanced Mode enabled, there should be no other adjustments needed.

Sony XBR55X900E
XBox One X
post #5776 of 19521 Old 10-06-2017, 07:14 AM

Quote:

The video’s description clearly states the need for a Chromecast Ultra for HDR.

luished likes this.
post #5777 of 19521 Old 10-06-2017, 07:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Berry View Post

That video is a perfect example of why I needed to download the video from one of the 4K sites to actually view it in HDR. Playing via Plex, or Kodi will display in HDR, but streaming it directly from youtube will not. this is why I have a Chromecast Ultra on order.

Again, the 900E line of displays does not support Youtube HDR.
Mr Berry likes this.

Sony XBR55X900E
XBox One X
post #5778 of 19521 Old 10-06-2017, 07:20 AM

Quote:
That video is a perfect example of why I needed to download the video from one of the 4K sites to actually view it in HDR. Playing via Plex, or Kodi will display in HDR, but streaming it directly from youtube will not. this is why I have a Chromecast Ultra on order.

Ooo, that’s a good idea. Where did you download the video from exactly?

Yeah the 900E doesn’t do HDR. But better you say it than me.

post #5779 of 19521 Old 10-06-2017, 07:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ooo, that’s a good idea. Where did you download the video from exactly?

Yeah the 900E doesn’t do HDR. But better you say it than me.

Well, the 900e line is HDR Capable, it's just that not all the apps support HDR Natively.

Apps that support HDR 10 on the display:

Netflix
Amazon Instant
Plex
Kodi

Apps that don't support HDR10 on "this" display
Youtube
Vudu

So if there are Youtube videos stating that they were filmed in HDR, then you will need to download them sites such as http://www.download4k.info/ , then stream them in apps such as Plex or Kodi. I don't mess with any of the native video players on the TV or the Shield so i don't know if they will work or not.

Here are links to some hdr videos.

http://demo-uhd3d.com/

http://4ksamples.com/
Madmax67 and Mr Berry like this.

Sony XBR55X900E
XBox One X

Last edited by groove93; 10-06-2017 at 07:34 AM.
post #5780 of 19521 Old 10-06-2017, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Well, the 900e line is HDR Capable, it's just that not all the apps support HDR Natively.

Apps that support HDR 10 on the display:

Netflix

Amazon Instant

Plex

Kodi

Apps that don't support HDR10 on "this" display

Youtube

Vudu

So if there are Youtube videos stating that they were filmed in HDR, then you will need to download them sites such as http://www.download4k.info/ , then stream them in apps such as Plex or Kodi. I don't mess with any of the native video players on the TV or the Shield so i don't know if they will work or not.

Well, I meant YouTube, given the context of this discussion. I obviously know it’s an HDR tv.

I actually gave my Chromecast Ultra away to a friend cause I didn’t like it very much. And there was a clear difference in some of the videos I watched between the TV and Ultra on YouTube.

Thanks for the link buddy. Much appreciated.

post #5781 of 19521 Old 10-06-2017, 07:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
It says you need a 4K HDR TV and a device with YouTube HDR SUCH AS a Chromecast Ultra. Are there others that currently support YouTube HDR?

Sony XBR-65X930E | NVIDIA SHIELD TV | Apple TV 4K | Samsung BD-P1600
Yamaha TSR-7810 | Energy C-100 / Energy C-C100 / Energy S10.3 / Polk RC60i
Logitech Harmony 950 / Smart Control w/ Harmony Hub
post #5782 of 19521 Old 10-06-2017, 07:54 AM

2017 Sony XBR 900E owners thread (No Price Talk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by atbear View Post
It says you need a 4K HDR TV and a device with YouTube HDR SUCH AS a Chromecast Ultra. Are there others that currently support YouTube HDR?

Last edited by Mr Berry; 10-06-2017 at 08:52 AM.
post #5783 of 19521 Old 10-06-2017, 08:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Then I am blind because on my Chromecast Ultra and the built in app look identical. I have watched it on a non-HDR set and it looks completely different then what I am seeing now.
post #5784 of 19521 Old 10-06-2017, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Then I am blind because on my Chromecast Ultra and the built in app look identical. I have watched it on a non-HDR set and it looks completely different then what I am seeing now.

I guess that’s a testament to how amazing the 900E is. Even on non HDR content, the colors are so rich and vibrant, you think it’s HDR.

post #5785 of 19521 Old 10-06-2017, 08:32 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have the UBP-X800 Sony 4K Ultra HD Blu-Ray player connected to the XBR65X900E. For some reason, I have been having issues watching videos in 4K while using the tv's Youtube app. Most videos seem to switch over to HD quality. There must be an issue with my internet speed.

But yesterday I tried using the X800's Youtube app to view videos in 4K. And I was pleasantly surprised that the app does support HDR! Certain videos do display the HDR flag in the Picture Settings menu. (I'll need to double check this when I get home. But I can confirm that Youtube shows 4K HDR for video quality.) The only problem is that to actually experience HDR, I need to manually change the color space in the settings. The player's app definitely works better with my connection than the tv's app.

Last edited by rtorres481; 10-06-2017 at 08:55 AM.
post #5786 of 19521 Old 10-06-2017, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atbear View Post

Sorry. I think I made a mistake here. I was confusing YouTube with Google Play Movies. That will require a Chromecast Ultra for HDR.

I’m not sure of the device list that supports YouTube HDR. I’ll get back to you.

post #5787 of 19521 Old 10-06-2017, 09:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
If you pull up a video, LG Chess for example, on the Chromecast Ultra, click on "Action Menu" on your Remote, then go into the video settings. In the upper-right corner of the screen you should see the label "HDR".

Play that same video using the Youtube app on the display, follow the same instructions as above for the remote, and HDR will not appear on the display.

Also be sure that the CCU is connected to HDMI 2 or 3 and Enhanced Mode is enabled. This enables the wider colorspace for HDR to work.

Sony XBR55X900E
XBox One X
post #5788 of 19521 Old 10-06-2017, 09:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Sorry. I think I made a mistake here. I was confusing YouTube with Google Play Movies. That will require a Chromecast Ultra for HDR.

I’m not sure of the device list that supports YouTube HDR. I’ll get back to you.

I believe there are some Samsung and LG TVs that have Youtube HDR. A few new Mobile devices support it as well. I've read that some of these devices are software updates compared to hardware, and that opens up another can of worms according to some more knowledgeable users.
Mr Berry likes this.

Sony XBR55X900E
XBox One X
post #5789 of 19521 Old 10-06-2017, 09:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
If you pull up a video, LG Chess for example, on the Chromecast Ultra, click on "Action Menu" on your Remote, then go into the video settings. In the upper-right corner of the screen you should see the label "HDR".

Play that same video using the Youtube app on the display, follow the same instructions as above for the remote, and HDR will not appear on the display.

Also be sure that the CCU is connected to HDMI 2 or 3 and Enhanced Mode is enabled. This enables the wider colorspace for HDR to work.
That's exactly what he said. He's just saying that they LOOK the same to him.

post #5790 of 19521 Old 10-06-2017, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I believe there are some Samsung and LG TVs that have Youtube HDR. A few new Mobile devices support it as well. I've read that some of these devices are software updates compared to hardware, and that opens up another can of worms according to some more knowledgeable users.
But not Roku, Apple TV, Shield, Fire TV, etc.?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
issues , motion , motionflow , problems , Sony , sound delay , x900e

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page