2017 Sony XBR 900E owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 199 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 40400Likes

post #5941 of 19305 Old 10-09-2017, 02:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post
I should have read closer. What version is your Harmony? Why not hook everything up via your AVR, turn off CEC, enable ARC on your AVR and separately program your Harmony for:

1. Watch Satellite (AVR off - pass thru mode on), Speakers (Sony TV)
2. Watch Satellite (AVR on - your satellite HDMI Input on the AVR - corresponding to the AVR input for your satellite), Audio System (Sony TV)

And the same for TV apps - one setting for TV speakers and one for your AVR. ( All assuming your satellite receiver is on all the time.)

Lots of options with your Harmony remote. Are you getting any 4K/HDR from your satellite TV? Is your AVR HDMI 2.0 compliant? I only use the Sony HDMI 2 & 3 ports with both having enhanced turned on. I'm not sure if it makes any difference with non 4K content or not on the Sony 2 & 3 inputs. But if your AVR is not HDMI 2.0 or HDCP 2.2 compliant AND you are getting 4K from your satellite, then you would need to use HDMI 2 or 3 on your Sony inputs and set them to enhanced for HDR.

Have I confused you yet?

lol no problem. So what I've found on my receiver is there's an option for HDMI control on/off. ARC doesn't seem to work at all unless that is enabled, so I don't seem to have the option to control them independently as far as I can tell. The AVR is 2.0 compliant, in fact it's a 2017 Sony model. I bought the TV and receiver at the same time. I'm not doing any 4K/HDR from the satellite yet, but will in the future. I was hoping I could do exactly what you described with the harmony, if only I could just enable ARC without enabling the CEC bravia sync bs. lol I'll have to look at the (crappy) manual again.

Hmm I just thought of something after looking at the manual. It says HDMI control needs to be on for ARC but that doesn't mean I'd have to have bravia sync enabled on the tv. So maybe that will work how I want it to.....I'll try that when I get home. Thanks for getting my brain going Rico!

Last edited by azstang95; 10-09-2017 at 02:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5942 of 19305 Old 10-09-2017, 02:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by azstang95 View Post
lol no problem. So what I've found on my receiver is there's an option for HDMI control on/off. ARC doesn't seem to work at all unless that is enabled, so I don't seem to have the option to control them independently as far as I can tell. The AVR is 2.0 compliant, in fact it's a 2017 Sony model. I bought the TV and receiver at the same time. I'm not doing any 4K/HDR from the satellite yet, but will in the future. I was hoping I could do exactly what you described with the harmony, if only I could just enable ARC without enabling the CEC bravia sync bs. lol I'll have to look at the (crappy) manual again.

Hmm I just thought of something after looking at the manual. It says HDMI control needs to be on for ARC but that doesn't mean I'd have to have bravia sync enabled on the tv. So maybe that will work how I want it to.....I'll try that when I get home. Thanks for getting my brain going Rico!
Same problem here. Bought this TV with a brand new Onkyo receiver. The receiver only has an option to turn hdmi control on or off. If I turn just the receiver on, 9/10 times the TV will not turn on, which I'm OK with because sometimes I just turn my receiver on to listen to music. However, if I tune the TV on, about 50 percent of the time the receiver will also turn on. But I'd say only 2/10 times of I turn the TV off, the receiver will turn off, which if I'm turning the TV off I'd like the receiver to turn off too.

Disabling hdmi control isn't what I want, because when I do have both on, I like to be able to control the volume with the TV remote, so I don't have to use two different remotes.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk
post #5943 of 19305 Old 10-09-2017, 02:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked: 1285
Quote:

Great! Newer AVR - that's super. Even if you have CEC Bravia on, initially, you should be able to program the Harmony (with a delay) to turn off your AVR and switch to TV Speakers (on or off, and then Audio System via your AVR when you listen to your separate speakers.) I'm not sure if there is a separate setting for Bravia Sync (CEC) "Off" while ARC is on. If there is, then you can try that, as well.

I'd really run everything through your newer AVR, leave Bravia Sync on and then program your Harmony remote exactly the way you want it for all TV with audio from your TV speaker system and then program for your audio system. And - - if you have 4K/HDR content from your satellite receiver - - then you'll be all set by having it hooked up to the Sony HDMI Input (3) with the enhanced port setup. All doable - - it will just take a little programming to get it working just the way you want.

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, BenQ W1080ST, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5944 of 19305 Old 10-09-2017, 04:53 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturboaudi View Post
How do I get into pro mode?
Not everything he says is correct but good detail on pro mode, for you look at the HDMI wake-up.

https://youtu.be/fKRNVHXeQDk

DISCLAIMER: please watch and proceed on your own risk.
post #5945 of 19305 Old 10-09-2017, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitlet View Post
Same problem here. Bought this TV with a brand new Onkyo receiver. The receiver only has an option to turn hdmi control on or off. If I turn just the receiver on, 9/10 times the TV will not turn on, which I'm OK with because sometimes I just turn my receiver on to listen to music. However, if I tune the TV on, about 50 percent of the time the receiver will also turn on. But I'd say only 2/10 times of I turn the TV off, the receiver will turn off, which if I'm turning the TV off I'd like the receiver to turn off too.

Disabling hdmi control isn't what I want, because when I do have both on, I like to be able to control the volume with the TV remote, so I don't have to use two different remotes.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk
Yeah I think we're SOL unless Sony adds a control to bravia sync to disable sending a power signal. I tried turning the HDMI control to on, on the AVR but left the bravia sync disabled on the tv and ARC doesn't work. Oh well the rare times I use my satellite with the AVR I'll just manually enable it. Annoying but oh well. I could use optical to get around it as well, but I'd like to limit the amount of cables.
post #5946 of 19305 Old 10-09-2017, 05:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1171 Post(s)
Liked: 652
@Mr Berry is right one this one.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk
Mr Berry likes this.

Sony XBR55X900E
Marantz SR7010/Marantz MM7025
Oppo UDP-203 - Nvidia Shield
XBox One X
Klipsch RP-260f - RP-440C - RP140sa- RP-160m - RB10 - Sony SA-WM500
post #5947 of 19305 Old 10-09-2017, 05:13 PM

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 193
2017 Sony XBR 900E owners thread (No Price Talk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Berry View Post
There’s nothing wrong with your tv. It’s the movie and it’s poor IMAX implementation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought that may be the case. There's a LG e6P on the wall behind the beast. I was going to run some tests with that as well. It just didn't make sense how Wonder Woman and other 4K HDR content played flawlessly and Transformers had this just on certain scenes.

Thanks for the response!

Mr Berry likes this.

Last edited by jdsmoooth; 10-09-2017 at 06:45 PM.
post #5948 of 19305 Old 10-09-2017, 06:20 PM

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonystyle44 View Post
What is the version number of your update? It seems like the most recent 10/3/17 PKG6.2669.0070NAA update has now been completely removed from Sony'download page for the 75" 900E.
Sorry it took me so long to get back. .

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
sonystyle44 likes this.
post #5949 of 19305 Old 10-09-2017, 06:45 PM

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove93 View Post
@Mr Berry is right one this one.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

I was really perplexed by it. And everything else I throw at the tv it does a great job with.

Thanks!

post #5950 of 19305 Old 10-09-2017, 06:48 PM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 23
What is the best remote for these tvs? I have an avr, fire tv, directv and I would love to retain the voice support if possible. Maybe remote plus the Google mini, let me know thanks. Trying to stay @ or below 200

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk
post #5951 of 19305 Old 10-09-2017, 07:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by petes67bird View Post
What is the best remote for these tvs? I have an avr, fire tv, directv and I would love to retain the voice support if possible. Maybe remote plus the Google mini, let me know thanks. Trying to stay @ or below 200

I just researched all of the Harmony remotes. I decided on the Harmony Smart Control. It actually just arrived today. It comes with a Hub, a handheld remote, and the smartphone app for $79. That's less than just a Hub by itself. The Hub allows you to put your components behind a door and still control them. I picked the Smart Control over the other Hub models because I didn't need a touchscreen and I still wanted number buttons on the remote. Also, price, of course. I plan to use the Hub to control all of my components inside my entertainment center cabinet, and then use IP Control to control my X900E. If for some reason IP Control doesn't work out for me, I'll go ahead and get a Harmony remote that has an IR emitter (the Smart Control does not have an IR emitter, but it does come with an IR blaster... I just don't want the IR blaster visible). Let me know if you have any questions about what I've described.

This won't get you voice control, but you could always use the stock remote for that, or get a Dot / Alexa / etc.
Madmax67 likes this.

Sony XBR-65X930E | NVIDIA SHIELD TV | Apple TV 4K | Samsung BD-P1600
Yamaha TSR-7810 | Energy C-100 / Energy C-C100 / Energy S10.3 / Polk RC60i
Logitech Harmony 950 / Smart Control w/ Harmony Hub
post #5952 of 19305 Old 10-10-2017, 04:30 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Speaking of Harmony Remotes...

Is anyone aware of discrete IR codes for picture modes?

One of the very few (if not the only) things that really annoys me is the lagginess of the Android menu. The main issue that this causes for me is that it is impossible to set up a sequence in my Harmony Remote to change picture mode to "Game" (and back). Because changing the picture mode requires tons of key clicks, and because of the laggy menu, the max. number of 25 steps that a sequence on a Harmony remote can contain is simply not enough. This is because you have to add many pauses to make sure that the sequence really works all the time, and the number of necessary pauses are simply too high for that 25-steps limit of the Harmony sequences.

This could easily be solved if there would be discrete codes for the picture modes.

Things like this used to be common in past days, but nowadays noone seems to care for something like this anymore...
Blomman00, tidwelr1 and danzero like this.
post #5953 of 19305 Old 10-10-2017, 07:41 AM

Has anyone noticed any frame drops or a very slight stutter? I noticed it last night while watching the Yankee game. Every once in a while it would appear that a frame dropped or there was an extremely quick stutter. I rewound the DVR and it didn't do again at the same spot so it didn't appear to be coming from the source as that would have been recorded.
post #5954 of 19305 Old 10-10-2017, 08:36 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I noticed when watching a uhd blu ray from oppo 203 that camera panning looked blurred/juddery is there a setting I can choose to fix this? I was on true cinema and cinemotion high. Thanks

post #5955 of 19305 Old 10-10-2017, 10:47 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattdude View Post
If you have enhanced turned off then it doesnt matter. ARC is unreliable(on all tv's), use optical instead.
Unreliable in what way?
Have worked just fine on my x8509c for two years and i expect it will work on my new xe9005 too
post #5956 of 19305 Old 10-10-2017, 01:11 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Hi everyone,  I just purchased a XBR65X900E along with a STRZA810ES.  My question relates to the bravia sync with ARC.  I have all my devices plugged into the receiver with the exception of the satellite receiver which is plugged directly into the TV's HDMI 1 port and the receiver is plugged into the HDMI 3 (ARC) port.  If I have bravia sync enabled when I turn the TV on it also turns the receiver on.  I don't want that to happen as I typically will watch tv with the tv speakers and use a logitech harmony remote to activate the receiver and any other devices when I want to. 

I've tried the settings in the bravia sync but they seem to do the opposite of what I want.  There's a setting to not turn off the receiver if the tv turns off, and a setting to not turn on the tv when the receiver turns on, but no setting to not turn the receiver on when the tv turns on. 

I'm guessing the setting doesn't exist, so for now I've just disabled bravia sync.  The issue is it seems to also disable ARC, which means if I do want to use the receiver with the satellite receiver I have to re-enable bravia sync every time or run an optical cable from the satellite receiver to the audio receiver which defeats the purpose of ARC. 

Anything else I can do?  Thanks for any input
Here is the setting to prevent the Audio System from turning on each time you turn on your TV:

HOME > Settings > Sound > Audio system prioritization > Off
post #5957 of 19305 Old 10-10-2017, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400MHz MAN View Post
Here is the setting to prevent the Audio System from turning on each time you turn on your TV:

HOME > Settings > Sound > Audio system prioritization > Off
I will give this a shot when I get home. Thanks for the information!
post #5958 of 19305 Old 10-10-2017, 01:46 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Old Deuteronomy View Post
Speaking of Harmony Remotes...

Is anyone aware of discrete IR codes for picture modes?

One of the very few (if not the only) things that really annoys me is the lagginess of the Android menu. The main issue that this causes for me is that it is impossible to set up a sequence in my Harmony Remote to change picture mode to "Game" (and back). Because changing the picture mode requires tons of key clicks, and because of the laggy menu, the max. number of 25 steps that a sequence on a Harmony remote can contain is simply not enough. This is because you have to add many pauses to make sure that the sequence really works all the time, and the number of necessary pauses are simply too high for that 25-steps limit of the Harmony sequences.

This could easily be solved if there would be discrete codes for the picture modes.

Things like this used to be common in past days, but nowadays noone seems to care for something like this anymore...
I am also looking for this very information. I love this tv's performance, but I can't believe Sony buried the backlight (brightness) and picture settings and modes in enormous screen-hiding menus requiring 10 clicks to reach, and didn't think to assign dedicated remote buttons for some of these commonly used functions like they used to in the Trinitron CRT days. (Don't get me started on the overcrowded and non-backlit remote. Come on Sony, it's 2017.) At the very least, let's hope there are IR codes for these functions, or a possible future fix in the TV's Android OS.

Theater: Sony X900E 65" | Denon AVR-X4500H 5.2.4 + zone2 | KEF | Polk 8.5" in-ceiling (x8) | Polk & Yamaha subs
Kids: Panasonic 50" plasma | Denon AVR-890 | HD-DVD(!) | Klipsch | Xbox One X | miniDSP 2x4
Studio: Native Instruments | Soundcraft | Ableton | Roland TD-20 vdrums | Gretsch | Fender | Shure | AKG
Vintage: Yamaha CA-610 II | Mission 760i | Technics SL1200 mkII | Akai, Nakamichi, Technics, JVC gear
post #5959 of 19305 Old 10-10-2017, 04:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 206
True Cinema & New Roku Automatic Display Refresh Rate

Roku is releasing their new system software 8.0. One of the big features is the ability for the Roku to automatically adjust to the native frame rate of whatever program is streaming. If I enable this feature, would it make sense to turn off the TrueCinema setting that I normally keep on all of the time?

https://support.roku.com/article/115...deo-or-tv-show
post #5960 of 19305 Old 10-10-2017, 06:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 948 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Today I was watching the 4K miniseries Suburra on Netflix through my Roku Premiere + directly connected to my 65 900e using Monoprice Certified cable. Noticed every so often a tiny red flash in different places on the screen. Could not predict when it would happen and sometimes it was a tiny red line and other times it was like a spiderweb of red lines. Happen about every 5 minutes in different areas. I felt my screen was defective but I never saw this in Cable HD broadcasts dvd or blu-ray playback that are all coming through my AVR to the screen. Eventually I played a half hour of 4K Sony nature clips on Youtube also coming through my Roku. They played flawlessly with no red lines or flashes. I guess the problem is a netflix issue and probably connected to this particular feature that just premiered on Roku a few days ago.
Wondered if anyone has ever seen an issue like this. Im not concerned as long as its only on Netflix. My roku is connected through WIFI with speed over 100 but Im going to get an ethernet cable soon to hardwire the connection.

Matt
post #5961 of 19305 Old 10-10-2017, 07:03 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaBlitz View Post
I tried both factory resetting the firmware on both devices and updating to the newest firmware on both devices. The receiver doesn't show up in the list of controllable devices when I send the enable command from the tv menu. It did out of the box but now it doesn't anymore. I was able to control it with the tv remote that first day but out of the blue it just stopped working and nothing I do is able to make it work again.
Did you ever get this resolved?

I have control over my Denon 4300H with my Sony 900E, it turns it off/on etc; however, I haven't gotten audio to play from my TV.
post #5962 of 19305 Old 10-10-2017, 07:19 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMRSX View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaBlitz View Post
I tried both factory resetting the firmware on both devices and updating to the newest firmware on both devices. The receiver doesn't show up in the list of controllable devices when I send the enable command from the tv menu. It did out of the box but now it doesn't anymore. I was able to control it with the tv remote that first day but out of the blue it just stopped working and nothing I do is able to make it work again.
Did you ever get this resolved?

I have control over my Denon 4300H with my Sony 900E, it turns it off/on etc; however, I haven't gotten audio to play from my TV.

Not yet no. I wish I had an update for you guys.
post #5963 of 19305 Old 10-10-2017, 07:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBetaGuy View Post
Roku is releasing their new system software 8.0. One of the big features is the ability for the Roku to automatically adjust to the native frame rate of whatever program is streaming. If I enable this feature, would it make sense to turn off the TrueCinema setting that I normally keep on all of the time?

https://support.roku.com/article/115...deo-or-tv-show
I would think the native refresh feature would create an even greater need for True Cinema.

Sony XBR-65X930E | NVIDIA SHIELD TV | Apple TV 4K | Samsung BD-P1600
Yamaha TSR-7810 | Energy C-100 / Energy C-C100 / Energy S10.3 / Polk RC60i
Logitech Harmony 950 / Smart Control w/ Harmony Hub
post #5964 of 19305 Old 10-10-2017, 08:07 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Speaking of ARC....

Is it just me or is ARC broken with the new Google Play movies APP? When I first got the TV, it worked just fine. Now the audio will not play.
post #5965 of 19305 Old 10-10-2017, 08:51 PM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Calibration vs using the settings in avs/rtings? I had tried for many different combos and do far using the coach settings on YouTube have given me closest to true colors. What did everyone do here?

Last edited by petes67bird; 10-11-2017 at 01:35 AM.
post #5966 of 19305 Old 10-10-2017, 09:14 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 20
When using the onboard Netflix and Amazon apps, is there a way to tell if it is in HDR? I see the HDR text when using an HDMI source, but nothing when using the apps. Also, not really wowed by the black level in a dark room. I came from plasma and went right to OLED a few years back, so this is my first LCD other than computer monitors. I actually bought the 49x900e as a monitor in my home office. It sounds like others are impressed with the dark room performance. Just wondering what I can look at to improve it or know whether there is an issue. Is it supposed to be close to OLED? Definitely not going to use OLED as a monitor so I have to figure something out. Thanks
post #5967 of 19305 Old 10-10-2017, 09:27 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdroid View Post
Unreliable in what way?
Have worked just fine on my x8509c for two years and i expect it will work on my new xe9005 too
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Christianson View Post
Is it just me or is ARC broken with the new Google Play movies APP? When I first got the TV, it worked just fine. Now the audio will not play.
Yea arc will always have problems.
post #5968 of 19305 Old 10-10-2017, 09:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just got the tv. Does the channel guide not work anymore? All I get are 'error please try again later' messages as soon as I enter in my provider or any provider. This isnt a huge problem since my set top box remote is so much better but it'd be nice for that 'guide' button to not be useless.

One huge problem. Once or twice a day the tv also seems to be forgetting my wifi network preference, it shows up as saved but not connected in the settings. I click wifi diagnostics and it says my network cable is disconnected. Well.. no ****, Im trying to use wifi.
Doing a factory reset seemed to have fixed the problem for awhile, but now its back to doing the same thing. I constantly have to manually reconnect(which for some reason takes forever on this tv). My previous tv which was an entry level sharp had no problem in the same spot. Im on 2.5ghz since the 5ghz band is pretty much unusable for some reason.
I turned off Wifi Direct hoping for some reason that was the issue. I'll check tomorrow to see if the wifi will have a question mark when I turn the tv on.

Last edited by ssjLancer; 10-10-2017 at 10:18 PM.
post #5969 of 19305 Old 10-10-2017, 11:44 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Can someone explain what cinemotion low med or high means? The description is confusing? Also what exactly does true cinema do?

post #5970 of 19305 Old 10-11-2017, 02:02 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 172
2017 Sony XBR 900E owners thread (No Price Talk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by petes67bird View Post
Calibration vs using the settings in avs/rtings? I had tried for many different combos and do far using the coach settings on YouTube have given me closest to true colors. What did everyone do here?

What is coach settings and what do you mean by true colors? Do you mean the most accurate color? What’s your frame of reference?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
issues , motion , motionflow , problems , Sony , sound delay , x900e

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page