2017 Sony XBR 900E owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 200 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 40400Likes

post #5971 of 19305 Old 10-11-2017, 06:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Berry View Post
What is coach settings and what do you mean by true colors? Do you mean the most accurate color? What’s your frame of reference?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He's referring to coach csan on YouTube who provides his opinion on calibrating the 900E.
Mr Berry likes this.

Current Home Theater Equipment:
Sony 75XBR900E, Sony XBR52LX900
Denon AVR-X2300W, Denon AVR-791, Sony UBP-X800, Sony BDPS6200, Nvidia Shield, Roku 3 & Streaming Stick, XBOX360
Monitor Audio 5i (Towers, Center, Surrounds), Energy (for Atmos), Polk PSW-505 Subwoofer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5972 of 19305 Old 10-11-2017, 06:47 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Good morning all - joining this thread as SquareTrade just replaced my 940C with a 900E. Looking forward to catching up with the info posted here and learning about the new TV.
bradman likes this.
post #5973 of 19305 Old 10-11-2017, 07:40 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Voice Search

I recently purchased this TV and I'm very happy with it so far after adjusting some settings. I'm upgrading from a Vizio M-50 1080p display and the 4K HDR is amazing. I'm really enjoying watching stupid demos on YouTube but I'm not a fan of having to type in my search.

I know the remote has a voice search button but I'm using the Harmony Hub remote so I can control all my devices. I'm wondering if it's possible to use an Echo Dot or Google Home to do the voice search on the TV. I know you can control the TV through Alexa (TV on/off, volume up/down, etc.) but I'm hoping there's a way to use either smart speaker to search on the TV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5974 of 19305 Old 10-11-2017, 07:42 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Yesterday I noticed while watching one of the workout DVDs I use that there were a few times during a screen transition where for just a split second it appeared as though the frame was catching up. Hard to explain and it happens very quickly but right when the transition from a camera cut you'll see a very quick pause. It's not on every transition, just certain ones but it happens in the same exact ones every time.

I figured it must be the source video and I never noticed it before because I'm playing closer attention now since I just got this tv last week. I tried the video on my older 55" Sony 1080p tv and it didn't do it. I tried it on my computer and it didn't do it. I used the same Blu-ray player on both the older 1080p tv and on the 900E and again it didn't do it on the 1080 and did it on the 900E. I tried different settings on the 900E messing with the smoothness and cinemotion along with different picture modes. It does it every single time. I'm trying to figure out if this is just the nature of this set or if there is something wrong with it. I have noticed some frame drops the other night but that could have been attributed to directv.

I haven't noticed this issue on anything else I've watched so far, but I also just haven't had the time to just sit down and watch a bunch of things non stop on it. Any information or recommendations are appreciated. I don't want to go through the hassle of trying to exchange the tv especially since the picture is fantastic, but don't want to not exchange it if there's an actual problem.
post #5975 of 19305 Old 10-11-2017, 07:51 AM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg3 View Post
Today I was watching the 4K miniseries Suburra on Netflix through my Roku Premiere + directly connected to my 65 900e using Monoprice Certified cable. Noticed every so often a tiny red flash in different places on the screen. Could not predict when it would happen and sometimes it was a tiny red line and other times it was like a spiderweb of red lines. Happen about every 5 minutes in different areas. I felt my screen was defective but I never saw this in Cable HD broadcasts dvd or blu-ray playback that are all coming through my AVR to the screen. Eventually I played a half hour of 4K Sony nature clips on Youtube also coming through my Roku. They played flawlessly with no red lines or flashes. I guess the problem is a netflix issue and probably connected to this particular feature that just premiered on Roku a few days ago.
Wondered if anyone has ever seen an issue like this. Im not concerned as long as its only on Netflix. My roku is connected through WIFI with speed over 100 but Im going to get an ethernet cable soon to hardwire the connection.
I get the red flashes occasionally on my Roku Premier+. I believe this is an issue with roku, I've seen other complaint's about it also
mattg3 likes this.
post #5976 of 19305 Old 10-11-2017, 08:17 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hey,

Just bought my XBR75X900E, and I"m getting it next week...any suggestions for calibration? I'm pretty sure there are a few good links in the forum, but not sure which one i should look at (200 pages in this thread...).

Thanks.
post #5977 of 19305 Old 10-11-2017, 08:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 948 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javelin View Post
I get the red flashes occasionally on my Roku Premier+. I believe this is an issue with roku, I've seen other complaint's about it also
Hopefully an update will solve this soon

Matt
post #5978 of 19305 Old 10-11-2017, 08:26 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6848 Post(s)
Liked: 6844
Quote:
Originally Posted by yronnen View Post
Hey,

Just bought my XBR75X900E, and I"m getting it next week...any suggestions for calibration? I'm pretty sure there are a few good links in the forum, but not sure which one i should look at (200 pages in this thread...).

Thanks.
XBR-75X900E took a little price drop

--Contact Chad B or D-Nice for calibration......
post #5979 of 19305 Old 10-11-2017, 08:33 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
XBR-75X900E took a little price drop

--Contact Chad B or D-Nice for calibration......
Yes, made it easier on the wife convincing effort...Thanks, I'll contact those guys when I get the TV...
post #5980 of 19305 Old 10-11-2017, 08:34 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Sorry if this has been asked, just picked up this tv about a week and half ago, I sold my lg c6, because i hated how the curved model looked , wall mounted. I was thinking of picking up the new apple tv 4k. Since this tv doesnt support Dolby Vision, and it appears quite a few movies on the itunes store are in Dolby Vision, do i lose the ability to watch those movies with hdr ? Or does it simply play in HDR 10. To be honest, I have a new receiver, yamaha 7810 from costco, and I'm not sure it supports dolby vision anyway.

Xbox Live- bucknuts07

PSN-bucknuts07

post #5981 of 19305 Old 10-11-2017, 09:13 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucknuts07 View Post
Sorry if this has been asked, just picked up this tv about a week and half ago, I sold my lg c6, because i hated how the curved model looked , wall mounted. I was thinking of picking up the new apple tv 4k. Since this tv doesnt support Dolby Vision, and it appears quite a few movies on the itunes store are in Dolby Vision, do i lose the ability to watch those movies with hdr ? Or does it simply play in HDR 10. To be honest, I have a new receiver, yamaha 7810 from costco, and I'm not sure it supports dolby vision anyway.
There's some debate about this, but the consensus seems to be that Apple views the technology as progressive -- I.e. All DV must carry HDR 10, therefore any movie listed DV is encoded with HDR 10.
post #5982 of 19305 Old 10-11-2017, 10:06 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders4life12 View Post
Can someone explain what cinemotion low med or high means? The description is confusing? Also what exactly does true cinema do?

It adds extra frames to help with juddering and motion juddering. It can have good effects, but can also make movements look artificial and give it the "soap opera" effect. It will have different effect on difference sources and movies. Some of the motion settings will also give it the unwanted soap opera effect as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azstang95 View Post
Yesterday I noticed while watching one of the workout DVDs I use that there were a few times during a screen transition where for just a split second it appeared as though the frame was catching up. Hard to explain and it happens very quickly but right when the transition from a camera cut you'll see a very quick pause. It's not on every transition, just certain ones but it happens in the same exact ones every time.

I figured it must be the source video and I never noticed it before because I'm playing closer attention now since I just got this tv last week. I tried the video on my older 55" Sony 1080p tv and it didn't do it. I tried it on my computer and it didn't do it. I used the same Blu-ray player on both the older 1080p tv and on the 900E and again it didn't do it on the 1080 and did it on the 900E. I tried different settings on the 900E messing with the smoothness and cinemotion along with different picture modes. It does it every single time. I'm trying to figure out if this is just the nature of this set or if there is something wrong with it. I have noticed some frame drops the other night but that could have been attributed to directv.

I haven't noticed this issue on anything else I've watched so far, but I also just haven't had the time to just sit down and watch a bunch of things non stop on it. Any information or recommendations are appreciated. I don't want to go through the hassle of trying to exchange the tv especially since the picture is fantastic, but don't want to not exchange it if there's an actual problem.

I noticed very bad judder on my older blu ray player. I went and bought a 4k Sony x800 4k player (because it plays blu rays and DVDs too) and a new 2.0 HDMI cable and noticed a decent bit of improvements on the judder. Its not great but its much better. It was almost unwatchable with all TV motion settings off before hand.

I would recommend to anyone that they get a 4k payer when viewing movies, as it helps upscale the blu rays, and its processors help manage the upscaling and motion, where as the tv would be doing all the work. Again, just anecdotal advice.

As for settings: I recommend "standard" motion for blu ray and "standard" or "off" for 4k movies. Also recommend any between "off" to "high" for cinemotion depending on the source and movie. I would just play around with it until you get how you like it.

The other motion settings make it look too soap opera for me.

Last edited by pehaire; 10-11-2017 at 10:11 AM.
post #5983 of 19305 Old 10-11-2017, 10:08 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 8
I may return mine for another tomorrow.

I am experiencing some light coming through around the frame on dark scenes in movies.

Anyone else have this issue? Is it normal? As a FALD tv I would think this wouldnt be a problem. Its faint, but I can def see light around the frame.

Last edited by pehaire; 10-11-2017 at 10:11 AM.
post #5984 of 19305 Old 10-11-2017, 10:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1171 Post(s)
Liked: 652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac128 View Post
There's some debate about this, but the consensus seems to be that Apple views the technology as progressive -- I.e. All DV must carry HDR 10, therefore any movie listed DV is encoded with HDR 10.
The question is whether or not the streaming services are govern by the same rules provided by the BDA, which requires HDR10 to be the fallback when DV is not available. Vudu would be an example, as they provide Dolby Vision, but no HDR10.

Sony XBR55X900E
Marantz SR7010/Marantz MM7025
Oppo UDP-203 - Nvidia Shield
XBox One X
Klipsch RP-260f - RP-440C - RP140sa- RP-160m - RB10 - Sony SA-WM500
post #5985 of 19305 Old 10-11-2017, 10:17 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pehaire View Post
It adds extra frames to help with juddering and motion juddering. It can have good effects, but can also make movements look artificial and give it the "soap opera" effect. It will have different effect on difference sources and movies. Some of the motion settings will also give it the unwanted soap opera effect as well.

I noticed very bad judder on my older blu ray player. I went and bought a 4k Sony x800 4k player (because it plays blu rays and DVDs too) and a new 2.0 HDMI cable and noticed a decent bit of improvements on the judder. Its not great but its much better. It was almost unwatchable with all TV motion settings off before hand.

I would recommend to anyone that they get a 4k payer when viewing movies, as it helps upscale the blu rays, and its processors help manage the upscaling and motion, where as the tv would be doing all the work. Again, just anecdotal advice.

As for settings: I recommend "standard" or "off" motion for both blu ray and 4k movies and anywhere between "off" to "high" for cinemotion depending on the source and movie. I would just play around with it until you get how you like it.

The other motion settings make it look too soap opera for me.
Great information thanks! Do you think what I'm seeing is just normal judder? Any reason why I wouldn't see it on the same scenes on the older 1080p tv? I haven't really noticed it in other spots and it's so quick during the camera cut but I can still notice it for a split second. It's just very strange to me as I've never encountered this before. The older 1080p set is a sony with similar motionflow and cinemotion settings so I would figure the processing would have improved and not regressed. I was thinking about going to best buy and have them pop in the disc on the 900e on display to see if it duplicates there and see if it's something specific with my set.
post #5986 of 19305 Old 10-11-2017, 10:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Christianson View Post
Is it just me or is ARC broken with the new Google Play movies APP? When I first got the TV, it worked just fine. Now the audio will not play.
It's the app. I have a 930e and experienced the same problems. I had to keep fiddling with the TV's audio settings to get sound. I couldn't even get audio through the TV speakers when initially running the app. ARC on my set works fine on all other apps and sources I've tried.
post #5987 of 19305 Old 10-11-2017, 11:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 61
I added 65XBR900E a few weeks ago after lasting less than 24 hours with the step-down model. Should not be surprised as I have replaced the Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 which I still find superior in some aspects. That said, it is heaven not to have to be hyper vigilant about IR or even worse, burn-in.

For the money, I have yet to find anything that truly compares and HDR10 stuff looks stellar and upscaling is quite good too. It is also decidedly moved up the timetable for replacing my Denon AVR-4520CI that I purchased new that has yet to have a speaker cable connected to it running it full time in Pre-amp Only Mode.

As for SOE, it is relatively straightforward to defeat that thank goodness. Currently using the Rtings settings as a baseline with multiple calibration discs refining the image from there.

While quasi disappointing that Dolby Vision willl never be available, but considering how cheap it truly is combined with HDR10 being no slouch in addition to what Netflix and Amazon seem to only offer thus far. That said, guessing for the 2018's that DV will be offered at this price level and beyond.

Radio Shack SPL Meter Owner
post #5988 of 19305 Old 10-11-2017, 11:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked: 1284
"The 10 Best 4K TV's of 2017" - from techradar....

Hey, the Sony 900E is number two! It tries harder. The best 75" 4K TV of 2017? Hands down, by way of third round knockout - - The Sony 75X900E!

Link to Article: http://www.techradar.com/news/televi...-today-1326405

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, BenQ W1080ST, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)
post #5989 of 19305 Old 10-11-2017, 01:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post
"The 10 Best 4K TV's of 2017" - from techradar....

Hey, the Sony 900E is number two! It tries harder. The best 75" 4K TV of 2017? Hands down, by way of third round knockout - - The Sony 75X900E!

Link to Article: http://www.techradar.com/news/televi...-today-1326405
Interesting that it beats Sony's OLED and the premium ZD9. Didn't even see the X930E on the list...
luished likes this.

Sony XBR-65X930E | NVIDIA SHIELD TV | Apple TV 4K | Samsung BD-P1600
Yamaha TSR-7810 | Energy C-100 / Energy C-C100 / Energy S10.3 / Polk RC60i
Logitech Harmony 950 / Smart Control w/ Harmony Hub
post #5990 of 19305 Old 10-11-2017, 01:18 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by atbear View Post
Interesting that it beats Sony's OLED and the premium ZD9. Didn't even see the X930E on the list...
Actually, the X900E doesn't "beat" the other premium Sony sets. It's on the list as #2 but its categorized as the "best mid-range 4K TV". #3 is the TCL but that one is the "best budget 4K TV" and so on.

But make no mistake, I love my 75X900E and in this price range wouldn't consider any other sets at this time.

Current Home Theater Equipment:
Sony 75XBR900E, Sony XBR52LX900
Denon AVR-X2300W, Denon AVR-791, Sony UBP-X800, Sony BDPS6200, Nvidia Shield, Roku 3 & Streaming Stick, XBOX360
Monitor Audio 5i (Towers, Center, Surrounds), Energy (for Atmos), Polk PSW-505 Subwoofer
post #5991 of 19305 Old 10-11-2017, 01:36 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pehaire View Post
I may return mine for another tomorrow.

I am experiencing some light coming through around the frame on dark scenes in movies.

Anyone else have this issue? Is it normal? As a FALD tv I would think this wouldnt be a problem. Its faint, but I can def see light around the frame.

I’m having the same issue. It’s hard to ignore.

post #5992 of 19305 Old 10-11-2017, 01:39 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone played in graphics mode, it looks different then game mode. Like its more sharper I believe and brighter.

Last edited by Blackblades; 10-11-2017 at 02:13 PM.
post #5993 of 19305 Old 10-11-2017, 01:45 PM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Just ordered my 75” 900e. Does anyone have info on how the mounting holes are situated on the back (distance of the lowest hole from the bottom of the screen e.g.)? I need to verify if I need to move my current wall mount.
post #5994 of 19305 Old 10-11-2017, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
What are your preferences for the local dimming and X-tended dynamic range? I have both at medium in the Cinema Home settings. I tried changing one/both to High and noticed no difference...granted this was with only 5 minutes of testing, but I've seen calibration reviews that recommend different combinations like M/H.
post #5995 of 19305 Old 10-11-2017, 02:27 PM

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by timosilakka View Post
Just ordered my 75” 900e. Does anyone have info on how the mounting holes are situated on the back (distance of the lowest hole from the bottom of the screen e.g.)? I need to verify if I need to move my current wall mount.
I don't have specifics but they are set really low. I had to move my mount down a lot. Almost a foot I believe.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
post #5996 of 19305 Old 10-11-2017, 02:49 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackblades View Post
Anyone played in graphics mode, it looks different then game mode. Like its more sharper I believe and brighter.
According to RTINGS:

Quote:
When in the graphics picture mode 1080p is displayed with very basic upscaling, just mapping one pixel to four. This is shown in the pixel picture to the right. This kind of upscaling looks more jagged but it retains all the sharpness of the original image, unlike the softer upscaling from the other picture modes. However 1080p @ 120 Hz does not show the same behavior; in both game and graphics modes it uses a different jagged upscaling that is a little softer, but is still more jagged than normal.
post #5997 of 19305 Old 10-11-2017, 02:54 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by craiglc15 View Post
Oh no! My 75x900e just stopped working in the middle of a football game and won't turn back on. I get no illumination light or anything. I tried all the troubleshooting tips on the Sony website (unplug, plug in wall, factory reset, etc.) but nothing works. It looks like I need to set up an appointment with a technician. I wonder if it's the power circuit board like many owners of the 930d complained about.
My TV is fixed. It was the power distribution board. Sony had a technician come out and fix the TV in about 55 hours from the time I called about the problem, so I can't complain too much.
post #5998 of 19305 Old 10-11-2017, 03:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShOcKwAvE85 View Post
What are your preferences for the local dimming and X-tended dynamic range? I have both at medium in the Cinema Home settings. I tried changing one/both to High and noticed no difference...granted this was with only 5 minutes of testing, but I've seen calibration reviews that recommend different combinations like M/H.
Most recommend Local Dimming on Low or Medium and X-tended Dynamic Range on Off unless you're watching HRD content, then on High.

Sony XBR-65X930E | NVIDIA SHIELD TV | Apple TV 4K | Samsung BD-P1600
Yamaha TSR-7810 | Energy C-100 / Energy C-C100 / Energy S10.3 / Polk RC60i
Logitech Harmony 950 / Smart Control w/ Harmony Hub
post #5999 of 19305 Old 10-11-2017, 03:08 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoPropane View Post
The video quality is pretty good. I've been doing the 5 day trial this weekend and I'm really liking the service. Only some locals are available and the 2 in my area seem to have worse quality than any of the national channels, but antenna solves that. The audio is only stereo though. That's the only thing causing me to hesitate on dropping my DirecTV for it. Just sign up for the trial and give it a run through.
I've had Vue now for over a year (without locals) and I love it. I tried DirecTV Now but that app was terrible and I could never watch a show in full without it freezing like crazy. Which size screen do you have?
post #6000 of 19305 Old 10-11-2017, 04:38 PM

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Why are some recommending local dimming to be on medium? How does setting it to high negatively affect the picture?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
issues , motion , motionflow , problems , Sony , sound delay , x900e

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page