2017 Sony XBR 900E owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 215 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 40453Likes

post #6421 of 19590 Old 10-24-2017, 07:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by atbear View Post
Could someone do me a favor? Could someone with the X900E that has The Dark Knight Rises please play it on their X900E and go to the scene where Batman fights Bain in the sewer (dark scene where Bain gets the best of him and takes his mask in front of a onlooking Catwoman before the Batmobile falls down from the street above) and tell me if you see any judder? I was watching it the other day and that scene was the first and only scene I've seen on this TV where I saw substantial judder. Here's the catch- I was watching it off an external thumb drive rather than Blu-Ray / streaming / cable. I'd just like to see whether what I saw regarding judder was due to the scene, or due to the medium. Thanks!
Checked it out via bluray. Didn't notice any judder.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6422 of 19590 Old 10-24-2017, 08:05 PM
G--

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Have had the 65 900e for a few days, set it up using the rntings settings. I have to say unfortunately I’m taking it back, it’s just not as good is my Samsung pn59d7000 that I’m coming from. Most of what I watch is cable, which looks much better on the 1080 panel. The 4K YouTube stuff looks good but it’s just the color depth and motion handling of the plasma that I’m missing. I would have gone oled but I don’t want burn in. Will be sitting out for a few years, not to bash, just saying.

Last edited by G--; 10-24-2017 at 08:09 PM.
post #6423 of 19590 Old 10-24-2017, 08:28 PM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 38
So today I noticed about a one inch band around the entire screen where the backlight is slightly brighter than the rest of the screen. And the upper left corner has clouding. I haven’t noticed it before, I’ve had the tv for a little over a week. It’s only noticeable during dark scenes when hdr content is playing and I have the brightness set to max. If I turn the brightness down to about 10 it goes away, but I know hdr is supposed to be at max. I’ve already returned 3 tvs (different brand) before getting this one so I really don’t feel like returning another one. Am I losing a lot of what hdr offers if I have the brightness set lower?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6424 of 19590 Old 10-24-2017, 08:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by stradovinski View Post
Checked it out via bluray. Didn't notice any judder.
Thank you! The judder that I saw was obvious. You couldn't miss it. The fact that you didn't see any surely means that the judder was due to the quality of the content on the USB drive. I watched other content on the same USB drive that didn't have any judder, so it must have just been that file. Just out of curiosity, what Motionflow settings were you using? Thanks again!

Sony XBR-65X930E | NVIDIA SHIELD TV | Apple TV 4K | Samsung BD-P1600
Yamaha TSR-7810 | Energy C-100 / Energy C-C100 / Energy S10.3 / Polk RC60i
Logitech Harmony 950 / Smart Control w/ Harmony Hub
post #6425 of 19590 Old 10-25-2017, 04:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2009 Post(s)
Liked: 1465
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-- View Post
Have had the 65 900e for a few days, set it up using the rntings settings. I have to say unfortunately I’m taking it back, it’s just not as good is my Samsung pn59d7000 that I’m coming from. Most of what I watch is cable, which looks much better on the 1080 panel. The 4K YouTube stuff looks good but it’s just the color depth and motion handling of the plasma that I’m missing. I would have gone oled but I don’t want burn in. Will be sitting out for a few years, not to bash, just saying.
FYI - the RTINGS settings are horrific. Extremely bland with zero pop and washed out colors. If all I saw was via the RTINGS settings, I would have returned my set, as well. I do not think you saw the 900E in it's best light but I certainly understand your decision.

Motion can be tamed to acceptable levels and it appears that this 4K set will not handle motion as well as older 1080P sets. Key benefits of the 900E? Upscaling, HDR and zero banding. Once you have the right settings, the color pops, the picture is extremely sharp and 4K/HDR sources are a joy to watch. I have two 900E's - a 49" for our bedroom and a 75" for my man cave. The 75" is an incredible value for that large of screen size. And as I said before - no banding, especially with golf, hockey and fast action sports. It's really a big difference from my Samsung 65" LCD that was five years old.

Many happy plasma owners are on the sideline when it comes to buying a new TV. Understandable if that is the technology you prefer.

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, Bluesound Node 2i, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3, AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 - 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's-V.5 (FL/FR), CC-690-V.5 (C), ADP 590-V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub, Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)
post #6426 of 19590 Old 10-25-2017, 06:15 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked: 300
Quote:
Just out of curiosity, plasma also suffers from burn-in (it's the reason I never bought into plasma). So if you're already dealing with that, as well as the steady decline in brightness with age, why would burn-in be an issue for you on OLED? From my understanding potential OLED burn-in is not as great as what you've chosen to live with already.

Last edited by Mac128; 10-25-2017 at 06:24 AM.
post #6427 of 19590 Old 10-25-2017, 06:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
The original settings for CINEMA PRO on this set are great. In all honesty, you really don't have to change much from that and you'll still have a wonderful picture. I've been going back and forth with those (I adjust brightness to around 16, Dimming to MEDIUM/HIGH, True Cinema and cinemotion to HIGH) and using Subacabra settings. Both work great, but I've noticed a little bit of a blue push with his lately and went back to the regular settings.

I watched War for the Planet of Apes last night on UHD disc and it was phenomenal. I'd be lying if I said there wasn't a bit of light bleed/blooming in certain scenes and you definitely see the black letterbox bars lighten up a bit on occasion, but this happened on previous set as well and my eyes are adjusted enough that it doesn't become a distraction if you are enjoying the movie, but if you are constantly looking for it, you will see it. Regarding the judder, I've experienced this a little as well through Roku Premiere + with smooth gradation on low and True Cinema and cinamotion HIGH. I've seen in on Mindhunter 4k Netflix and the only way I've found to completely remove it is by switching to soap opera effect. With that said, I think it's completely normal to see a little judder as the camera pans. I'm not sure if that's because of Netflix at 60p or what...
bradman likes this.
post #6428 of 19590 Old 10-25-2017, 07:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1836 Post(s)
Liked: 936
Is anybody here using the Hulu App?

If so, I can't find any way to enable or disable subtitles from within the App. Also, fast forward and rewind don't work either - the only button on the remote control that functions it the Play/Pause button.

Is there something I'm missing with this App?

I'm watching Handmaid's Tale, which actually looks incredibly sharp, with great picture quality overall. Almost makes me wonder if it's in 4k, although there are no flags, labels, or any kind of info available when streaming.

JVC NX7, DCR Lens, Marantz SR7010, Screen Innovations 160" 2.35:1 Screen
Front L/R: Duntech Sovereigns, powered by 2 bridged Adcom GFA-555
Center: Revel C208 powered by Cambridge Audio Azur 851W
Dolby Bed (4): Sony Core SS-CS5, Atmos (4): Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SE
Subwoofer: DIY 8' sub with 4 18" SI Drivers, powered by iNuke 6000
post #6429 of 19590 Old 10-25-2017, 09:44 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I haven't found a clear answer to this (and admittedly, haven't gone through the 200+ pages of this thread..so please go easy on me).

I just picked up a 65X900E yesterday (love it so far!).

Do all 4 HDMI inputs support 4K AND HDR? Or do only inputs 2 + 3 support HDR but all 4 support 4K?

I found (and turned on) the enhanced mode on inputs 2/3 in the menu. But it seemed vague in the settings if I was turning on HDR mode or just some sort of "enhanced" hdr mode on those inputs.

So far I have:
- Telus 4K Box (input 1)
- AppleTV 4K (input 2)
- Xbox One (input 3) -- this will be replaced with an Xbox One X in a few weeks to use HDR

All 3 of these boxes support HDR. I am a little annoyed if this TV doesn't actually support HDR on all 4 inputs as that was not listed in the specs. Granted almost nothing on my Telus IPTV box will support HDR, which is why I put it on input 1.
post #6430 of 19590 Old 10-25-2017, 10:12 AM
G--

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post
FYI - the RTINGS settings are horrific. Extremely bland with zero pop and washed out colors. If all I saw was via the RTINGS settings, I would have returned my set, as well. I do not think you saw the 900E in it's best light but I certainly understand your decision.

Motion can be tamed to acceptable levels and it appears that this 4K set will not handle motion as well as older 1080P sets. Key benefits of the 900E? Upscaling, HDR and zero banding. Once you have the right settings, the color pops, the picture is extremely sharp and 4K/HDR sources are a joy to watch. I have two 900E's - a 49" for our bedroom and a 75" for my man cave. The 75" is an incredible value for that large of screen size. And as I said before - no banding, especially with golf, hockey and fast action sports. It's really a big difference from my Samsung 65" LCD that was five years old.

Many happy plasma owners are on the sideline when it comes to buying a new TV. Understandable if that is the technology you prefer.
Thanks for the response, I just figured rntings would have it close to dialed in. I'll tweak the settings and see what happens.
post #6431 of 19590 Old 10-25-2017, 10:15 AM
G--

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac128 View Post
Just out of curiosity, plasma also suffers from burn-in (it's the reason I never bought into plasma). So if you're already dealing with that, as well as the steady decline in brightness with age, why would burn-in be an issue for you on OLED? From my understanding potential OLED burn-in is not as great as what you've chosen to live with already.
IDK I still might go down the OLED road. I know my 2011 plasma with 23000 hrs on it doesn't have any burn in. Reading the LG OLED forums, seem like burn-in IS a serious issue.
post #6432 of 19590 Old 10-25-2017, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Does anyone use ARC to a their receiver & use the built in OTA tuner? I just need to know if you are experiencing audio lag while watching OTA channels.

I'm having audio lag while watching TV OTA but no lag when watching internal apps (netflix, hbo etc.) Both are using HDMI 3 ARC to my receiver. It's like the tuner is delaying the audio, while when I watch internal apps that don't go through the tuner it sync's up perfectly.
post #6433 of 19590 Old 10-25-2017, 11:28 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeWasAbducted View Post
So today I noticed about a one inch band around the entire screen where the backlight is slightly brighter than the rest of the screen. And the upper left corner has clouding. I haven’t noticed it before, I’ve had the tv for a little over a week. It’s only noticeable during dark scenes when hdr content is playing and I have the brightness set to max. If I turn the brightness down to about 10 it goes away, but I know hdr is supposed to be at max. I’ve already returned 3 tvs (different brand) before getting this one so I really don’t feel like returning another one. Am I losing a lot of what hdr offers if I have the brightness set lower?

Yes.

I have been through 2 900E's and both had light bands around the frame (most noticably on the sides). This second set I feel it is even more noticable in the dark scenes, which leads me to beleive it could be a issue with all sets.

My company recently had a new 930E delivered through warranty with our 930d. So far I cant notice the same issues of this, even though it is an edge lit. On this 930e set however, the tops and bottom around the frame seem to have dark clouding.

Seems theres always something, but Im considering upgrading to the 930e with BB since my return period is still in effect. Discouraging seeing I got the non-edge lit for the very purpose of not havign edge light issues.

The motion, I am still having issues with, from feedback it seems a lot of 4k tvs are not handling the motions as well as older sets. idk I think I am havign to adjust myself to have some of the soap opera effect 60fps. I DO like on this set how you can customize the amount of effect through smoothing and clear and cinemotion. As far as I know you cant on other makes , and so I think these Sonys are ay an advantage regarding that.

Right now my go-to Blu ray and 4k blu ray setting is "Custom" "1-2 smoothing", "0 clear", "High to medium" cinemotion, depending on movie and 1080 or 4k.
EyeWasAbducted likes this.
post #6434 of 19590 Old 10-25-2017, 11:42 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7494 Post(s)
Liked: 7533
Quote:
IDK I still might go down the OLED road. I know my 2011 plasma with 23000 hrs on it doesn't have any burn in. Reading the LG OLED forums, seem like burn-in IS a serious issue.
^^^ I do not see it as a serious issue on our end thank goodness....... 3 reports in four years, these are non confirmed though as I would need pictures and also would need to know the unit was ran 24-7 for 7 days on rolling content with no still images to be sure it was not image retention.
post #6435 of 19590 Old 10-25-2017, 12:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by pehaire View Post
Yes.

I have been through 2 900E's and both had light bands around the frame (most noticably on the sides). This second set I feel it is even more noticable in the dark scenes, which leads me to beleive it could be a issue with all sets.

My company recently had a new 930E delivered through warranty with our 930d. So far I cant notice the same issues of this, even though it is an edge lit. On this 930e set however, the tops and bottom around the frame seem to have dark clouding.

Seems theres always something, but Im considering upgrading to the 930e with BB since my return period is still in effect. Discouraging seeing I got the non-edge lit for the very purpose of not havign edge light issues.

The motion, I am still having issues with, from feedback it seems a lot of 4k tvs are not handling the motions as well as older sets. idk I think I am havign to adjust myself to have some of the soap opera effect 60fps. I DO like on this set how you can customize the amount of effect through smoothing and clear and cinemotion. As far as I know you cant on other makes , and so I think these Sonys are ay an advantage regarding that.

Right now my go-to Blu ray and 4k blu ray setting is "Custom" "1-2 smoothing", "0 clear", "High to medium" cinemotion, depending on movie and 1080 or 4k.
are you seeing the band around the screen all the time or only during certain scenes?
post #6436 of 19590 Old 10-25-2017, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Anybody have a report on how the X900E compares to the X930E regarding light blooming into the top and bottom black bars on widescreen movies? I watched the HDTV Test YouTube review of the X930E and the blooming into those bars was very apparent on that review due to the LEDs being top and bottom edge-lit. I know people here have complained about the same thing on the black bars on the X900E, but I'm wondering if it's as apparent when compared to the X930E? Anybody have experience with both? Thanks.

both 900Es Ive had have noticeable light int he cinema bars, to me. This second set not quite as bad , but just anecdotal.

I just recently got a 930e for my company and I am going to hook up my 4k player and do a demo on several movies and compare the two on various fronts.

I will update later this week maybe
post #6437 of 19590 Old 10-25-2017, 12:22 PM

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgruber12 View Post
Does anyone use ARC to a their receiver & use the built in OTA tuner? I just need to know if you are experiencing audio lag while watching OTA channels.

I'm having audio lag while watching TV OTA but no lag when watching internal apps (netflix, hbo etc.) Both are using HDMI 3 ARC to my receiver. It's like the tuner is delaying the audio, while when I watch internal apps that don't go through the tuner it sync's up perfectly.
I've had my 75" set for a couple of months. I think I see very minor lag from the OTA tuner using ARC to my receiver. On one instance early on, I noticed an extreme audio sync problem watching an OTA broadcast. In that case it turned out to be a problem with the actual broadcast. But it sensitized me to looking for sync issues on OTA broadcasts. While other inputs seem to be spot on, the OTA sync sometimes seems just a little off --so little that I'm not convinced that just not imagining it. Generally, I don't even notice it until I start thinking about it.
post #6438 of 19590 Old 10-25-2017, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Glad you're happy. Can you tell me whether you had the opportunity to test the top and bottom horizontal black bars on widescreen movies with both sets? On the HDTV Test YouTube vid the reviewer shows how the X930E struggles with blooming on those on content with a bright spot on the screen, causing the black bars to because illuminated due to the screen being edge-lit from top and bottom. Sometimes it's tough to tell how apparent these effects are in these reviews since they're specifically trying to highlight it when describing it. Did you happen to compare this effect on both the X930E and X900E? Is the X900E better or worse in this regard? Thanks!

Going to compare tonight

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrouleyarl View Post
I have been planning on purchasing the 75"900e for some time now. I have been following along in this thread. Is it just me, or does there seem to be a lot of problems with this set? It's seems like every other post is someone returning it for one reason or another. I've never had one problem with my pioneer plasma and I'm getting a little worried that the 900e is going to be a nightmare. Can someone please comfort me? Lol
I think there are people like me on here who are highly perceptive, OCD, and videophiles. i notice small things that will drive me crazy for the "perfect" picture, stuff my wife doesnt notice and thinks Im anal. I can point it out and then she will be like "ok I guess I see that." But inititally the average viewing just doesnt notice or care

honestly, I think jsut about all sets have issues, and this forum will mostly have poeple joining because of issues, like myself.

Quote:
Well, it wasn't just one 930E. I looked at them in 3 different Magnolia stores and one Fry's. They all had edge bleed. None of the 900Es had edge bleed. Nor does the model I took home. I'm not even sure how a FALD display could have edge bleed unless it were defective.

Likewise, I always buy at the local merchant, as I would never ship a TV to my home where I didn't have free local pickup and delivery, and ability to easily replace. The price difference just isn't substantial enough for online vendors. I started with an edge-lit LG that was had horrible light bleed, which was picked up and replaced for free. So edge bleed was the most important critical aspect of it for me, and that's why I settled on the 900E. Every 900E I saw looked great, and had none, while every 930E had some -- and they wanted to charge me another $1,000 to live with that just to get Dolby vision! In one store they had a 900E and 930E sitting right next to each other and there was no contest. I bought the 900E right then and there.

I also went the FALD direction strictly because the edge bled on my 2011 Samsung 8000 was bad and it was my top priority. So I am at a loss that i am noticing light bars on the sides of both FALD 900e that Ive had

Quote:
Originally Posted by green666 View Post
I had this developed (light bleed) on my Samsung js9000 after a year and a half, and exchanged it for this tv, but it was edge lit (sides) and it was to be expected for the tech ...x900e being FALD its almost impossible to have edge bleed like yours Ask for a replace asap.

Ive replaced twice. No dice. Maybe Im unlucky

Quote:
As far as judder, I'm not really having a problem with it. My benchmark is a scene about 22 min. Into 10 Cloverfield Lane, with a 360 degree pan. Using just Cinemotion on high and TrueCinema, I find it works well. Are you finding any settings which work well with some sources and not others?

I'm finding some movies in 4k need higher sittings to combat the judder than blu ray. "The Revenant has egreggious judder and camera pan judder throughout the movie. I have to set it to custom , smoothing 3, cinemotion high, for it to be viewable.

Ive got the reg blu ray Skyfall to a setting that actually looks pretty darn good. Youll get a slight soap opera effect every now and then but if every movie looked liek i have it now, Id be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddysnake View Post
are you seeing the band around the screen all the time or only during certain scenes?

I am very perceptive, so in my case, yes 100% of the time, very faint in lighter scenes and more noticeable in dark scenes. My wife doesnt notice it till i point it out, but then she def sees that it is there.
post #6439 of 19590 Old 10-25-2017, 03:02 PM

Ok guys, we've had complains and issues, especially me, but time for some of the great things about this tv-

-First off, the black levels on scenes, utilizing settings like auto dimming and contrast are excellent. The tv does a great job of making dark portions dark and light portions light with no clouding on just about every scene

-The high dynamic range is great IMO. I've compared my Samsung 8000 1080p to the 900e on movies like the Revenant. Scenes like the camp fire and the sunlight shining through the wet tree branches are fantastic and on a completely different level. And so much more life like. It adds a clear, dynamic contrasted range, which includes colors, that make it beautiful and near life-like.

-The motion: while I still feel there is judder, I like the fact that there are multiple settings and manual settings to be able to hone in how the motion is displayed to you. And it does a great job on a variety of sources.

-The upscaling: this Sony has the "creation reality" that EXCELS in making regular blu rays look like 4k. Especially if you have a bigger screen like 65 or 75, it helps create artificial details that retain the smaller screen false details from like a 55 or 45 screen (due to denser pixels.)
It even helps to sharpen the 4k movies that are really just 2k upscaled. I leave it on 100 for all blu ray and 4k movies.

-Now it should be said, the creation reality looks good using a 4k player. Before the 4k player the tv created too many grains at 100. Now with the 4k player there's absolutely no added grain.

-The build is excellent. I love the sleek bezel- even more than the 930e. It's small and feels endless. The remote and the way the smart tv and even setting set up is great IMO. I love the way the apps and menu screen work. By far my favorite on a tv. The stand is very nice looking as well.

Last edited by pehaire; 10-25-2017 at 03:22 PM.
post #6440 of 19590 Old 10-25-2017, 03:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yes.

Quote:
both 900Es Ive had have noticeable light int he cinema bars, to me. This second set not quite as bad , but just anecdotal.

I just recently got a 930e for my company and I am going to hook up my 4k player and do a demo on several movies and compare the two on various fronts.

I will update later this week maybe
Whatever you do, make sure you turn off all the lights during your test with the 930e. If little things bother you, you're likely going to notice some edge bleed and screen wash from it. And even if your office set looks good, the one you get might not. Every 930e I saw had unacceptable edge bleed.

That said, I have also seen noticeable light bleed into the black bars on the 900E, though that typically doesn't bother me, since if the picture is bright enough for that to happen, I generally don't notice it unless I'm looking for it. It seems there's always going to be a tradeoff, unless you're willing to spend top dollar for a top of the line OLED, something I'm not willing to do yet until they've been market tested a while longer, and knowing the prices are going to come down radically in just a few short years. Likewise, the tradeoffs on the 930e were too great to justify the price increase.

I guess I got incredibly lucky in that I have a beautiful panel with no clouding, and even light distribution, edge to edge, with very minor corner vignetting.
post #6441 of 19590 Old 10-25-2017, 03:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
That's the exact reason I decided to avoid the LG. I'm not willing to spend more than that, and I just assumed a cheap OLED would be gambling with a big step up in price. Then again, I've never had a plasma and have never had to worry about burn in, though I've had friends who've had to replace plasma sets because of it and swore they'd never go back.
post #6442 of 19590 Old 10-25-2017, 03:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked: 455
Quote:
Whatever you do, make sure you turn off all the lights during your test with the 930e. If little things bother you, you're likely going to notice some edge bleed and screen wash from it. And even if your office set looks good, the one you get might not. Every 930e I saw had unacceptable edge bleed.
You keep saying this about the 930E, but I have noticed no edge bleed on mine and I don't remember any other owners in the 930E thread mention anything about edge bleed or "screen wash" whatever that is. I'm thinking you must have been viewing those 930Es off angle or something. I know what edge bleed looks likes as I have an JS8500 that has some of that depending on the content.
post #6443 of 19590 Old 10-25-2017, 04:36 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
I won't disagree that watching 1080i/720p content isn't as good as many of the 1080p sets we have all come from. My Panny plasma from 2012 looks better than this when playing DTV. than the 75" 900e. But, all of the newer content is so much better looking. Like phenomenally so. I'm willing to suffer through slightly less PQ on broadcast (well DTV) for a while until that tech catches up.
post #6444 of 19590 Old 10-25-2017, 04:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmdorsey View Post
You keep saying this about the 930E, but I have noticed no edge bleed on mine and I don't remember any other owners in the 930E thread mention anything about edge bleed or "screen wash" whatever that is. I'm thinking you must have been viewing those 930Es off angle or something. I know what edge bleed looks likes as I have an JS8500 that has some of that depending on the content.
Don't know what to tell you. It's light that leaks in from the outside edges of an edge lit display, and I describe the effect of the resulting brightness across the panel that washes out color and contrast as "screen wash", though I'm sure there's a more technical name for it. Now maybe all 3 of those Best Buys and the one Fry's had defective units? Or had bad settings? But I viewed them at all angles in darkened rooms, with one siting right below a 900E. That issue was the main reason I returned my LG, so maybe I'm overly sensitive to it?

Again, that's just my experience, just as many people on this thread have complained about various issues that do not affect my 900E, nor seemingly the vast majority of them. Nevertheless, an edge lit display is susceptible to this kind of light bleed across a panel, and as I have witnessed it first hand on several 930Es, I'm simply pointing out one test that shouldn't be overlooked. I made the mistake of not viewing the LG in a dark room before I took it home, where it was blatantly evident my first night watching a letterboxed movie in a darkened room.
Madmax67 likes this.
post #6445 of 19590 Old 10-25-2017, 06:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1836 Post(s)
Liked: 936
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLCPhoto View Post
Is anybody here using the Hulu App?

If so, I can't find any way to enable or disable subtitles from within the App. Also, fast forward and rewind don't work either - the only button on the remote control that functions it the Play/Pause button.

Is there something I'm missing with this App?

I'm watching Handmaid's Tale, which actually looks incredibly sharp, with great picture quality overall. Almost makes me wonder if it's in 4k, although there are no flags, labels, or any kind of info available when streaming.
Well, answered my own question:

You can hit the "up" button on the remote to bring up the option to turn subtitles on/off. Hitting the "down" button brings up a timeline, which I assume can be used to rewind or go forward (I didn't actually test it out, but suspect this is the case).

JVC NX7, DCR Lens, Marantz SR7010, Screen Innovations 160" 2.35:1 Screen
Front L/R: Duntech Sovereigns, powered by 2 bridged Adcom GFA-555
Center: Revel C208 powered by Cambridge Audio Azur 851W
Dolby Bed (4): Sony Core SS-CS5, Atmos (4): Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SE
Subwoofer: DIY 8' sub with 4 18" SI Drivers, powered by iNuke 6000
post #6446 of 19590 Old 10-25-2017, 06:49 PM

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
The remote and the way the smart tv and even setting set up is great IMO. I love the way the apps and menu screen work. By far my favorite on a tv. The stand is very nice looking as well.

IMO the menu and settings are the worst thing about the TV. Sometimes I have to wait 10 seconds just for the volume to respond when streaming. The Samsung Tizen OS blows it away!!
post #6447 of 19590 Old 10-25-2017, 07:42 PM

Liked: 21
Quote:
Thank you! The judder that I saw was obvious. You couldn't miss it. The fact that you didn't see any surely means that the judder was due to the quality of the content on the USB drive. I watched other content on the same USB drive that didn't have any judder, so it must have just been that file. Just out of curiosity, what Motionflow settings were you using? Thanks again!
Set to Off.

I haven't messed around in the settings too much yet, but I'm inclined to set things to Off to make sure I avoid SOE. Going to dial into the settings in more detail over the weekend.
post #6448 of 19590 Old 10-25-2017, 09:49 PM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 107
I own both. You are 100% correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucknuts07 View Post
Just my honest opinion. And since I have owned both, felt I could provide some insight. Also, Rtings just gave it best LED tv.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-type/led-lcd
post #6449 of 19590 Old 10-26-2017, 01:42 AM

Liked: 10
Cool

I just bought a 2017 Sony 900E 55' , I am going to use it as a PC monitor. I have it hooked up via HDMI and was hoping to get it running 4k via the PC, I have a good Nvidia video card that does 4K but I don't think I have the proper display settings, had to adjust the screen to fit and some images do not look properly sized.

Res: 4Kx2K 4096x2160
32 Bit
YCbCR420

Suggestions please
post #6450 of 19590 Old 10-26-2017, 04:17 AM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisyak View Post
I just bought a 2017 Sony 900E 55' , I am going to use it as a PC monitor. I have it hooked up via HDMI and was hoping to get it running 4k via the PC, I have a good Nvidia video card that does 4K but I don't think I have the proper display settings, had to adjust the screen to fit and some images do not look properly sized.

Res: 4Kx2K 4096x2160
32 Bit
YCbCR420

Suggestions please
Try 3480 x 2160p

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G900F met Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
issues , motion , motionflow , problems , Sony , sound delay , x900e

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version