2017 Sony XBR 900E owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 232 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 40400Likes

post #6931 of 19314 Old 11-13-2017, 04:25 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Freak View Post
Thanks.

This is for a different tv tho. Are the settings/display the exact same?

Another question. How come my commercials have that weird cinematic motion to them, but regular programming doesn't?
Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeWasAbducted View Post
It’s the same tv, just the European version I believe.

Exactly. Same tv, different names on either side of the pond.
Super Freak likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6932 of 19314 Old 11-13-2017, 05:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 6
bought the 65" and it will be delivered Saturday.. Can't wait.

Still trying to get through all these posts!

Quick question, why would you not want to set the HDMI ports to enhanced? Why is it even an option?
post #6933 of 19314 Old 11-13-2017, 07:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoRn View Post
So after having the 75" version of this set for about 2 weeks now. I have 2 major complaints. The PQ sucks period watching cable/satellite/streaming tv service. I have seen others complain about this as well. Its a very valid complaint. My other major complaint are the viewing angles. Absolutely HORRIFIC with this set. Its so bad it reminds me of a pc monitor TN panel. Unless you are sitting dead center in front of it. The picture changes even if you are off the to side just a little bit. Reviews ARE NOT driving this home enough at all. All I seen is them saying it suffers a bit. No it does not. It suffers MASSIVELY! I know for many it would be a possible deal breaker and it would be going back. Now that being said. I really like everything else about the set. We also added a new Sony HT-NT5 sound bar with the tv. It integrates as a whole so well. Love it! I think its great price/performance ratio for this tv all things considering.

Being a big time gamer. For instance we have the PS4 Pro, Xbox One X and Nintendo Switch hooked up to this set currently. The 940E was just not an option because of the motion blur. I seen a great youtube video review someone that had the 940E for a couple weeks. Being a big time gamer themselves. They returned it for the 900E and are more happy with that set since it handles motion much better in video games.
I'm not using cable or satellite on mine; OTA and streaming only. But I've never seen a better OTA picture or streaming TV on any TV I've seen. In fact, on the 65" set which I bought, I tested the viewing angles in direct comparison to the 940E, and it was near perfect in the store. I didn't even realize there was a minor shift in PQ siting off axis until I turned off the lights for the first time. And even then, it was marginal.

Quote:
I cant say enough about this tv gaming wise. It is an absolute joy to game on this thing. Beautiful picture and wonderful motion handling. I use Playstation Vue for my tv services. The picture is a big meh to me. Its not that great. Our last tv now retired to the back bedroom. It is a LG 65UB9300 4k tv bought at the start of 2015 and the PQ blows it out of the water with normal tv watching. I used Playstation Vue as well on that tv. You might think it is acceptable with the Sony. Its very subjective imo person to person. But, imo it just plain sucks and I don't know why. The 940E apparently handles that type of viewing better but sucks handling motion in general. Especially with gaming.
I returned a 2016 LG in part because of poor picture quality. Hard to believe from my experience.

Quote:
I don't think I got a dud. Maybe the 75" shows more imperfections with sources like that compared to the 65" since it is bigger? Just a guess I have no idea.
One wonders ...
sheshechic likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6934 of 19314 Old 11-13-2017, 08:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawkcsg View Post
Hey, I'm mostly in agreement with all your comments. I just bought the 55-inch 900e. I also have funkiness with weird lines and pixels now and again, especially when ESPN's graphics come flying into the picture. I'll try to attach a video clip from a game tonight as a sample. Is it the TV or source? I have a friend who owns the 65 who claims none of these issues affect his tv. But, some stuff looks awesome! It's the little pixely crap that is annoying as hell. Let me know if you find a solution! Thx

So... along with the (75”) 4K tv, I needed a 4K capable receiver, and this Denon kept saying the audio feed was stereo instead of DD which my cable provider has/uses. After a few days, I went digging in the the cable box options and yes indeed, audio was set to stereo. While I was there I noticed that video was set to 720p so I switched that to 1080p. Low and behold, the same exact problems you have appeared. Wife got pissed, I remembered your post, and the next day set the video setting on the cable box back to 720p and ta-da! No more problems! Could it be that simple? Network broadcasters only provide 720p anyhow, so I’m not loosing out on anything.
post #6935 of 19314 Old 11-14-2017, 12:20 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by techlogik View Post
Searched through the thread. Couldn't find any direct recommendations for a flat panel wall mount with a til for the 75" version. VESA is 400x400 according to the specs.

I know there are many out there, but maybe need 5-10 degree at most. Peerless ST670 for up to 90" appears to be a beast with some flexibility of dealing with any servicing/cabling behind while mounted.

Any other suggestions for the 75" and wall mounting? Concrete block with some stripping/furring behind the drywall of course.

Thanks
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=8587

Mounted my 65" this weekend with this one. Snugs up faitly close to the wall but the ability to pull it out an reposition is fantastic for accessing the hookups, and you would have the ability to extend it towards you if you wish. Does come with cement/concrete hardware.
post #6936 of 19314 Old 11-14-2017, 06:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1697 Post(s)
Liked: 797
Dolby 5.1 via Optical Out with Google Play Movies?

I posted a day or two ago about this, but no reply yet.

I watched Close Encounters, which I got as a 4k Freebie on Google Play Movies, and while it was in fact in 4k (and looked quite good), I was unable to get Dolby 5.1 sound. I believe I have my setup configured properly, as I get Dolby when available with Netflix and Amazon apps (I have digital optical out from the Sony to an older Onkyo AVR).

Is anybody getting Dolby 5.1 out of Google Play Movies? Theoretically, it is supposed to be there, at least on certain devices. The question is whether or not the Sony 900E series is among those devices.

Thanks.

JVC NX7, DCR Lens, Marantz SR7010, Screen Innovations 160" 2.35:1 Screen
Front L/R: Duntech Sovereigns, powered by 2 bridged Adcom GFA-555
Center: Revel C208 powered by Cambridge Audio Azur 851W
Dolby Bed (4): Sony Core SS-CS5, Atmos (4): Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SE
Subwoofer: DIY 8' sub with 4 18" SI Drivers, powered by iNuke 6000
post #6937 of 19314 Old 11-14-2017, 07:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by techlogik View Post
Searched through the thread. Couldn't find any direct recommendations for a flat panel wall mount with a til for the 75" version. VESA is 400x400 according to the specs.

I know there are many out there, but maybe need 5-10 degree at most. Peerless ST670 for up to 90" appears to be a beast with some flexibility of dealing with any servicing/cabling behind while mounted.

Any other suggestions for the 75" and wall mounting? Concrete block with some stripping/furring behind the drywall of course.

Thanks
Links:
Costco: https://www.costco.com/SANUS-Simplic...100244789.html

Best Buy: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sanus-p...?skuId=5463302

Costco is selling a full motion mount for $129 made by sanus. Its nice, has wire management, and sits pretty close to the wall. Has a lot of adjustments for being off center or tilt issues.

Only difference between this one and the $299 full motion mount at best buy, is the Costco version only has mounting holes for your studs 16 and 24 inches apart. The normal version at best buy has cut outs all the way around the wall mount so you can hit a stud anywhere convenient.

So you can save a chunk of change, but make sure you know where your studs are first before buying the Costco one.

Edit, added links

Drive Fast Take Chances
Speakers: Klipsch KLF 30's, Klipsch C-7, Klipsch RS-52, Klipsch RP-250S, Klipsch RP-140SA; Sub's: 2 x HSU VTF 3.3's
Receiver: Denon X7200; Bluray Player: Xbox One X
Projector: JVC RS440K; Screen: Elite Screens Sable Frame 100-inch 16:9
post #6938 of 19314 Old 11-14-2017, 07:41 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Thanks for the replies on the mounts. I ended up getting the Peerless ST670P Tilt Wall Mount off Amazon for $85 bucks. Little pricier than others, but has the added adjustability and better access behind in needed. Found that to be an issue with my 55" Vizio I put up higher in our bedroom. The higher/heavier TV mounted when it is just me dealing with something, like access or adjusting it, a nightmare. Once on the wall, pretty much forget it.

I have block concrete wall. It has furring strips and drywall over it, but basically an exterior wall. Makes things a bit of a hassle to mount since about nearly 1" of the first part of the mount is hitting drywall and maybe furring strip, before the block. I've never mounted one this way before. Always had studs to hit and that was never an issue, always solid and simple. The drywall/furring/block concrete makes for a potential depth issue. But as long as the things are 2.5-3" in length the bolts...I usually put some concrete adhesive on the bolt and thread it through for extra grip/strength.

It is another reason I like that Peerless mount, it is 40" in length, so if I need to hit 6 bolts on this things, should be more than sufficient for the 70lb TV to get near the ends and near the center to hold it fine. Some people have said to try tapcons. But seems like the anchor then lag bolt method should be the best option using a concrete bit.

Thanks

Last edited by techlogik; 11-14-2017 at 07:46 AM.
post #6939 of 19314 Old 11-14-2017, 08:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLCPhoto View Post
I posted a day or two ago about this, but no reply yet.

I watched Close Encounters, which I got as a 4k Freebie on Google Play Movies, and while it was in fact in 4k (and looked quite good), I was unable to get Dolby 5.1 sound. I believe I have my setup configured properly, as I get Dolby when available with Netflix and Amazon apps (I have digital optical out from the Sony to an older Onkyo AVR).

Is anybody getting Dolby 5.1 out of Google Play Movies? Theoretically, it is supposed to be there, at least on certain devices. The question is whether or not the Sony 900E series is among those devices.

Thanks.
I'm running ARC to my receiver, and I get 5.1 out of all the native apps. It is possible that being an older movie, it might not have 5.1. But the app should tell you next to the title what it has (5.1, 4k, etc).

One thing to check, and I'm not sure where it is, but it's been mentioned a few times here, there's a setting for audio output that has an option for Dolby Digital Plus. That should be turned to regular DD.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk
post #6940 of 19314 Old 11-14-2017, 08:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitlet View Post
I'm running ARC to my receiver, and I get 5.1 out of all the native apps. It is possible that being an older movie, it might not have 5.1. But the app should tell you next to the title what it has (5.1, 4k, etc).

One thing to check, and I'm not sure where it is, but it's been mentioned a few times here, there's a setting for audio output that has an option for Dolby Digital Plus. That should be turned to regular DD.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk
Appreciate the reply.

To clarify: are you getting 5.1 specifically out of Google Play Movies? I do get it with the built-in Amazon and Netflix apps, but so far, not with Google Play movies. This is the newly released UHD version, and does have Dolby 5.1. I also tried with X-Men which I own, and it was the same - no 5.1.

And I did try the audio output options for both DD+ as well as DD, but neither gave me 5.1

Hence my question: are others getting 5.1 specifically with Google Play Movies using the built-in App? And if you are, are there settings used for it, different from what is needed for Amazon and Netflix, where I *do* get 5.1?

Don

post #6941 of 19314 Old 11-14-2017, 08:49 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Appreciate the reply.

To clarify: are you getting 5.1 specifically out of Google Play Movies? I do get it with the built-in Amazon and Netflix apps, but so far, not with Google Play movies. This is the newly released UHD version, and does have Dolby 5.1. I also tried with X-Men which I own, and it was the same - no 5.1.

And I did try the audio output options for both DD+ as well as DD, but neither gave me 5.1

Hence my question: are others getting 5.1 specifically with Google Play Movies using the built-in App? And if you are, are there settings used for it, different from what is needed for Amazon and Netflix, where I *do* get 5.1?

Don
I just checked Spiderman Homecoming on Google Play in 4K, and I'm getting 5.1 over ARC to my Yamaha Receiver.
post #6942 of 19314 Old 11-14-2017, 08:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Change View Post
I just checked Spiderman Homecoming on Google Play in 4K, and I'm getting 5.1 over ARC to my Yamaha Receiver.
Thanks for the reply and info.

Interesting. I'm using Optical Out to go to my AVR, vs HDMI/ARC in your situation. I wonder if the Google Movies App functions differently with Optical out.

So, let me refine the question:

For those using Optical Out to connect their Sony 900E to their AVR, are any of you getting Dolby 5.1 using the Google Play Movies App?

post #6943 of 19314 Old 11-14-2017, 09:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1836 Post(s)
Liked: 1287
Quote:

Interesting. I'm using Optical Out to go to my AVR, vs HDMI/ARC in your situation. I wonder if the Google Movies App functions differently with Optical out.

For those using Optical Out to connect their Sony 900E to their AVR, are any of you getting Dolby 5.1 using the Google Play Movies App?
To be determined. I haven't tried it yet with my optical connection but from my understanding, Google Play Movies transmits audio via DD+. That can only be obtained using ARC, BUT......there was reference in the past that DD+ could be converted to 5.1 for audio. Now I'm not sure what you have to do, settings wise, to ensure this. Perhaps a "PCM" designation, somewhere, but I'll be watching a Google Play movie this weekend and will try to find out if I'm getting DD+ converted to DD 5.1.

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, BenQ W1080ST, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)
post #6944 of 19314 Old 11-14-2017, 09:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post
To be determined. I haven't tried it yet with my optical connection but from my understanding, Google Play Movies transmits audio via DD+. That can only be obtained using ARC, BUT......there was reference in the past that DD+ could be converted to 5.1 for audio. Now I'm not sure what you have to do, settings wise, to ensure this. Perhaps a "PCM" designation, somewhere, but I'll be watching a Google Play movie this weekend and will try to find out if I'm getting DD+ converted to DD 5.1.
Thanks for the reply.

In the Audio main settings, there are 3 options: Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, and PCM only. I've tried all 3 and none of them seem to deliver 5.1 to my AVR via Optical connection.

It's weird, as I have no difficulty getting 5.1 with both Amazon and Netflix, so it seems that the Google Play Music App is doing something differently. Not a big deal, as I don't have much content there, but it would be nice to get it working properly.

Don

P.S. Not sure if you saw my prior reply to one of your posts, where I also addressed the UHD BD issue I think you were having. Post is here.

post #6945 of 19314 Old 11-14-2017, 10:22 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:

I know I struggled with Netflix and DD for a few days. I to have optical running to my AVR (Yamaha 2040) On my set up, once I went into the TV Action Menu and turned off the speakers, 5.1 was available. Hope this helps.

Sony 65xbr900e, Sony UBP-X800, Pioneer DV-563A, Audio-technica AT-LP120USB,
Sony CDP-CX455, Teac AD-800,Yamaha Rx-A2040,
FL/FR Definitive Technology BP30's, center Def Tech Procenter 2000,
SR/SL Def Tech BP2X's, sub JBL PSW1200.
Bedroom pair of JBL L26's that still rock.
post #6946 of 19314 Old 11-14-2017, 10:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Liked: 1287
Quote:
Thanks for the reply.

In the Audio main settings, there are 3 options: Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, and PCM only. I've tried all 3 and none of them seem to deliver 5.1 to my AVR via Optical connection.

It's weird, as I have no difficulty getting 5.1 with both Amazon and Netflix, so it seems that the Google Play Music App is doing something differently. Not a big deal, as I don't have much content there, but it would be nice to get it working properly.

Don

P.S. Not sure if you saw my prior reply to one of your posts, where I also addressed the UHD BD issue I think you were having. Post is here.
Sorry for asking but when you refer to the Audio main settings - - what are you referring to? Sony TV or Google Audio settings?

Also - are you specifically referring to the "Music App" versus movies?

Lastly - yes, I saw your post on the UHD BD issue. Maybe it's my player (Samsung K8500) but I'm just not happy with the look. Upscaled Bluray movies look phenomenal on the Sony 900E. I tried Sony's Bluray player but I couldn't even get a picture out of it. Maybe it was defective (open box special from Best Buy.) At any rate - I'm more than happy with the HDR content from Netflix and Bluray discs as upscaled by my OPPO 103. Maybe in a year or two, I'll try another 4K/HDR disc but for now - - it's just taking up shelf space with very little use.

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, BenQ W1080ST, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)
post #6947 of 19314 Old 11-14-2017, 11:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko1 View Post
I know I struggled with Netflix and DD for a few days. I to have optical running to my AVR (Yamaha 2040) On my set up, once I went into the TV Action Menu and turned off the speakers, 5.1 was available. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the reply and suggestion.

If you're talking about choosing TV Speakers, or Audio, then yes, I turned the TV speakers off when I first set up the TV, since I was using my AVR and speaker system for sound, and not the TV's speakers at all. But if you're talking about something else, let me know.

post #6948 of 19314 Old 11-14-2017, 11:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Sorry for asking but when you refer to the Audio main settings - - what are you referring to? Sony TV or Google Audio settings?

Also - are you specifically referring to the "Music App" versus movies?
If one goes to the Home Page, and then all the way to the bottom, there are the main settings for the TV. Going to the Audio options via that route provides access to all Audio related settings, unless I'm missing something.

And I am talking about the Google Play Movies App, *not* the Music App. That's where I have access to any Google Movie/TV content that I own, or wish to rent. And within that App, I do not find any Audio settings whatsoever - just one for Subtitles, and another, I forget what that was.

Quote:
Lastly - yes, I saw your post on the UHD BD issue. Maybe it's my player (Samsung K8500) but I'm just not happy with the look. Upscaled Bluray movies look phenomenal on the Sony 900E. I tried Sony's Bluray player but I couldn't even get a picture out of it. Maybe it was defective (open box special from Best Buy.) At any rate - I'm more than happy with the HDR content from Netflix and Bluray discs as upscaled by my OPPO 103. Maybe in a year or two, I'll try another 4K/HDR disc but for now - - it's just taking up shelf space with very little use.
I thought you had the Samsung. I just wanted to give you a 'data point' that the Sony player (when it's working right!), provides a great looking picture on the 900E. My main source of viewing is from UHD and HD Bluray discs that I've acquired for use in my main Theater Room. There I have a much more elaborate sound system, as well as the JVC Projector, and only with the discs can I get the best quality out of both. Being able to watch some of this in my TV room is just icing on the cake.

post #6949 of 19314 Old 11-14-2017, 11:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 1132
I'm happy to say I ordered this very set yesterday. I was hot on the LG OLED55B7A but in the end somethings worried me such as burn in and retention, plus price. I've had a beautiful Sony LCD for 10 years that has been flawless, a trooper. I trust Sony and that is another reason I went with this TV. I also bought the Sony ubp-800 a few weeks ago to go 4k Blu-Ray. I'm happy about this decision from all the reviews I've read. I got a great deal on a scratch and dent. Should be here in a few days and can't wait. It's going on the wall where the old Sony is not. Old Sony LCD got to the bedroom.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Ricoflashback likes this.
post #6950 of 19314 Old 11-14-2017, 12:32 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I posted earlier about cable tv looking not so great with some strange artifacts. I got cable in general to look a lot better by running my cable box directly into the tv rather than through my avr. However, now audio through ARC lags significantly behind video, and my avr lag compensation doesn't go negative.

The issue with strange lines/artifacts seems limited to ESPN channels, and the resolution on ESPN appears to be lower than other channels. College football on ESPN looks terrible, but NFL on CBS looks good. So this appears to be an ESPN issue not a TV issue.

I've been noticing one new issue, that all 4 corners are slightly dimmer than the rest of the screen. It's not noticeable on some content but fairly distracting on other content. My better half was watching Big Love last night and certain scenes appeared to have a full vignette filter applied. I think it's supposed to look like that but I'm not sure. I've read that Sony claims corners being a bit dim is within standard specs. Confirm/deny? The last thing I want is to get a replacement and have it be worse…

Last edited by mart541; 11-14-2017 at 12:36 PM.
post #6951 of 19314 Old 11-14-2017, 02:01 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Can anyone tell me if the USB ports on the X900E are always powered or just when the TV is actually turned on?? Thanks . . .
post #6952 of 19314 Old 11-14-2017, 02:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked: 300
Quote:
If one goes to the Home Page, and then all the way to the bottom, there are the main settings for the TV. Going to the Audio options via that route provides access to all Audio related settings, unless I'm missing something.

And I am talking about the Google Play Movies App, *not* the Music App. That's where I have access to any Google Movie/TV content that I own, or wish to rent. And within that App, I do not find any Audio settings whatsoever - just one for Subtitles, and another, I forget what that was.

Try accessing your Google Play content via the YouTube app. They seem to have different settings.

Also, The Google Play app is under the "Video App" settings, not the "App" settings as I recall. Try using the Action menu to go into the audio settings while in Google Play and see if that gives you any other options. Unfortunately, I don't think you can access the Home/Settings menus as they will kick you out of the app. But the Action menu settings allows you to customize the settings for the App you're in, though it will be applied to all Apps of the same type as well.
post #6953 of 19314 Old 11-14-2017, 02:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac128 View Post
Try accessing your Google Play content via the YouTube app. They seem to have different settings.

Also, The Google Play app is under the "Video App" settings, not the "App" settings as I recall. Try using the Action menu to go into the audio settings while in Google Play and see if that gives you any other options. Unfortunately, I don't think you can access the Home/Settings menus as they will kick you out of the app. But the Action menu settings allows you to customize the settings for the App you're in, though it will be applied to all Apps of the same type as well.
Thanks for the reply and suggestions.

AFAIK, YouTube doesn't support Dolby 5.1 at all, and if true, that's unfortunately not going to help. FWIW, I've also found out that Hulu doesn't support Dolby 5.1 at all either. If anybody has information to the contrary on either of these.

I've checked all Audio settings, both under the "Main" one accessed via the Home Page, and also via the Action Menu settings (which contains a subset of the Main settings, but nothing more than can be found there directly).

I'm still trying to determine if anybody is, in fact, getting Dolby 5.1 from the Google Play Movies built-in App, using Optical Audio out. I'm starting to think this may be a built-in limitation of the App, since I have no problem with the Amazon and Netflix built-in Apps, with the same hardware and settings.

post #6954 of 19314 Old 11-14-2017, 03:04 PM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 39
One final question or suggestion for those with concerns about cable or satellite TV quality (esp. 720p) : have you tried connecting with component cables from the cable box to the TV, instead of HDMI? In theory HDMI should be better, but it might be worth trying them both, on the off chance there is some kind of glitch in how the Sony handles cable/satellite sources over HDMI.
post #6955 of 19314 Old 11-14-2017, 03:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Has anyone tried using Google home and harmony Hub to control the TV and home theater? I saw Google assistant pop up with latest firmware. I certainly like the idea of being able to control with my voice, but I don't know how detailed it is?

Last edited by eddysnake; 11-14-2017 at 03:27 PM.
post #6956 of 19314 Old 11-14-2017, 04:15 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The google play movies app built in has jacked up audio. I had to revert to a previous version of the app to restore audio through the audio return channel - hdmi. I did not test optical because i only have hdmi fished through the wall.
post #6957 of 19314 Old 11-14-2017, 05:25 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Did anyone get an update today? I did with an Oct 26th Kernel date. Anyone know what it might have been (or better, a resource)?

Upon edit: Going to the product page: "This software update (version PKG6.2676.0070NAA) adds the Google Assistant function" ...smh

No Bling

Last edited by ImpliedConsent; 11-14-2017 at 05:31 PM. Reason: research
post #6958 of 19314 Old 11-14-2017, 05:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 952 Post(s)
Liked: 324
I got an update today also. Since I dont use any of the android apps and never will Im not sure if anything is going to be of interest in this new update for me.Would love to know what exactly was added to my set today.

Matt
post #6959 of 19314 Old 11-14-2017, 06:10 PM

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalumberjack View Post
I have this exact same problem. Using a harmony remote with hub. Anytime I turn up or down the volume the input will flash across the screen a bunch if times. At first I thought maybe it was my denon's OSD, but turning that off didnt help. I tried turning off all the network settings like mentioned above, but no avail. If anyone else has any ideas why this is happening I'd love to hear it.

I also have the issue where when my harmony remote turns on everything for TV watching (denon receiver, direct tv box, tv) the tv seems to default to TV speakers. This stops the receiver from out putting any sound. I have to go into the action menu, select speakers, and change it back to audio system. This gets old.
Mine did that as well regarding my denon. The fix was adding a delay to the receiver to allow the TV and cable box to start up first and start my receiver on a delay.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
post #6960 of 19314 Old 11-14-2017, 06:15 PM

Liked: 23
I have a question. I run my audio via hdmi arc to my denon receiver. When using the built in Netflix app, I was getting only distorted audio. If I went and disabled dd+ and only used dd, the sound worked fine. Anyone have any idea why I need to disable dd+?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
issues , motion , motionflow , problems , Sony , sound delay , x900e

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page