2017 Sony XBR 900E owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 241 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 40368Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #7201 of 19051 Old 11-19-2017, 11:28 AM
Member
 
techlogik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 125
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post
That may be your preference but these are 4k tvs. The distance you're stating seem outdated. 4k is closer... much closer. His seating distance is about perfect for hdr.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-PPf5j2...placement.html

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-...e-relationship
Yes, watching HDR/4K, Netflix and good content, picture is incredible at 11'. Perfect. Picture is really much better than the Samsung JS8500, and the sizing is great.

Watching football is nearly intolerable when they go to a wide view/snap with all the players in the scene. Then they zoom in or focus close, picture looks great and scaling.

I'm going to assume on certain content and cameras, the larger TV must be exaggerating these issues compared to the 55" at the same distance. But still, the Samsung does a great job overall, on a variety of sources, consistent.

And the variation of the picture/coloring even during the same show during scene changes at times can be bad on the Sony. Especially on darker scenes on broadcast. Picture can go green/blue and get dim/odd looking, nothing natural.

I also tweaked by 10pt color. I like a more naturally color, so the Green/Blues this TV has too much of, I have really great looking now. Not overly green/blue. But colors still pop, yet not harsh in anyway and natural. Sports mode almost caused cornea damage on my eyes..haha

Discovery channel, Gold Rush, or even TMC Walking Dead, looks terrible the color and quality. Coworker of mine has the same TV/size/seating distance...says the same thing on some content. But says it is still better than the LG C7 he auditioned and returned for the 900E.
sheshechic likes this.
techlogik is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #7202 of 19051 Old 11-19-2017, 11:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sheshechic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Suffolk, VA
Posts: 3,275
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Another helpful video. This one helps speed up the Android system.


You can call me Sheila.
sheshechic is offline  
post #7203 of 19051 Old 11-19-2017, 11:37 AM
Senior Member
 
ericuf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 350
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by green666 View Post
No, you only need high speed HDMI for 4k HDR (also enhanced mode must be enabled in tv`s options). For everything else regular HDMI is enough.


Thanks! Does the tv upscale automatically then?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ericuf is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #7204 of 19051 Old 11-19-2017, 11:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sheshechic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Suffolk, VA
Posts: 3,275
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by techlogik View Post
Yes, watching HDR/4K, Netflix and good content, picture is incredible at 11'. Perfect. Picture is really much better than the Samsung JS8500, and the sizing is great.

Watching football is nearly intolerable when they go to a wide view/snap with all the players in the scene. Then they zoom in or focus close, picture looks great and scaling.

I'm going to assume on certain content and cameras, the larger TV must be exaggerating these issues compared to the 55" at the same distance. But still, the Samsung does a great job overall, on a variety of sources, consistent.

And the variation of the picture/coloring even during the same show during scene changes at times can be bad on the Sony. Especially on darker scenes on broadcast. Picture can go green/blue and get dim/odd looking, nothing natural.

I also tweaked by 10pt color. I like a more naturally color, so the Green/Blues this TV has too much of, I have really great looking now. Not overly green/blue. But colors still pop, yet not harsh in anyway and natural. Sports mode almost caused cornea damage on my eyes..haha

Discovery channel, Gold Rush, or even TMC Walking Dead, looks terrible the color and quality. Coworker of mine has the same TV/size/seating distance...says the same thing on some content. But says it is still better than the LG C7 he auditioned and returned for the 900E.
The Walking Dead? Oh no.

Will you be trying the settings I posted earlier? I'd really like to know your opinions if you do. My tv doesn't get here until Saturday- once the grandkids go home and I don't have to worry about them damaging the plasma I'm going to move. So feedback on those settings will save me a lot of time. Will you share your color settings?

You can call me Sheila.
sheshechic is offline  
post #7205 of 19051 Old 11-19-2017, 11:54 AM
Senior Member
 
boltjames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 481
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by techlogik View Post
Yes, watching HDR/4K, Netflix and good content, picture is incredible at 11'. Perfect. Picture is really much better than the Samsung JS8500, and the sizing is great.

Watching football is nearly intolerable when they go to a wide view/snap with all the players in the scene. Then they zoom in or focus close, picture looks great and scaling.

I'm going to assume on certain content and cameras, the larger TV must be exaggerating these issues compared to the 55" at the same distance. But still, the Samsung does a great job overall, on a variety of sources, consistent.

And the variation of the picture/coloring even during the same show during scene changes at times can be bad on the Sony. Especially on darker scenes on broadcast. Picture can go green/blue and get dim/odd looking, nothing natural.

I also tweaked by 10pt color. I like a more naturally color, so the Green/Blues this TV has too much of, I have really great looking now. Not overly green/blue. But colors still pop, yet not harsh in anyway and natural. Sports mode almost caused cornea damage on my eyes..haha

Discovery channel, Gold Rush, or even TMC Walking Dead, looks terrible the color and quality. Coworker of mine has the same TV/size/seating distance...says the same thing on some content. But says it is still better than the LG C7 he auditioned and returned for the 900E.
If you can't move your couch back another 4 to 6 feet, I highly recommend you return your 75 inch and pick up the 65 inch. This will make your viewing experience far more pleasurable.

There's no point in a giant screen if all it's producing is giant artifacts for the 90% of the time you are watching good ol' HD cable.
boltjames is offline  
post #7206 of 19051 Old 11-19-2017, 11:54 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 429
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac128 View Post
Try adjusting the reality creation settings. Those are intended to clean up digital noise, etc. on lower quality sources such as SD video, which is what Hulu is offering. Seems odd since XFiles was remastered in HD. Maybe Huku doesn't have a license for the HD masters?


I wasn’t aware Hulu only did SD? What about random and digital noise reduction?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Raiders4life12 is online now  
post #7207 of 19051 Old 11-19-2017, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member
 
Mac128's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 930
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders4life12 View Post
I wasn’t aware Hulu only did SD? What about random and digital noise reduction?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It doesn't. But it doesn't do 4K either. If you say you're seeing digital artifacts, then I presume you are looking at the SD transfer of X-Files? If it's an HD stream, then you have other problems if you are seeing artifacts. I have Hulu and HD feeds are clean and crisp.
Mac128 is offline  
post #7208 of 19051 Old 11-19-2017, 12:06 PM
Senior Member
 
boltjames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 481
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post
More settings. If anyone has or does try them would you comment please?
Like almost every other recommended setting on YouTube or this forum, those settings are good for streaming 4K HDR content and movies over broadcast cable only.

Somewhere along the line, optimized settings for high motion live video sports over a good ol' HD from a cable box are not taken into account. People who sell these 4K TVs and are excited about them are so because of their incredible capabilities with incredible content. But when it comes to doing a good job with the old HD 1080i or 720p content that is not a movie, it's ignored. Someone gives us a geometry lesson on pixel mapping as if it's supposed to make us feel better when the NFL on FOX looks like it's being viewed through a screen door.

I use other custom settings because most of my TV viewing is at night when I am home from work and I am watching local live baseball, local live hockey, live news broadcasts, etc. as well as spending my Sunday's watching the NFL. These recommended settings by professional calibraters are hogwash unless you are just a movie film viewer, a cord cutter using a streaming box, or someone consumed with watching Netflix, Amazon Prime, or other 4K sources. They are lame for live broadcast content over HD cable.
boltjames is offline  
post #7209 of 19051 Old 11-19-2017, 12:21 PM
Member
 
NatasNJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 192
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
5.1 DD Pass through Help (SONOS)

Hello

I just purchases a 900e and I am having some issues with the audio settings. I am coming from a Panasonic Plasma and had to use a audio stripping box to get all 5.1 passed correctly to my Sonos playbar. Since I had the understanding that the new Sonys passthrough 5.1 via its optical out from HDMI sources I reconifgured things as such.

XBOX HDMI -> 900e HDMI 1 -> Optical to Playbar
TIVO HDMI -> 900e HDMI 3 -> Optical to Playbar

I can confirm 5.1 on all internal apps to the TV out to my playbar.
I tested the TIVO and I am showing Stereo only. Any ideas?
I have not tried the Xbox yet.

Also can anyone recommend a TV mount for this TV that will allow me to pull it off the wall and turn it ~90 degrees. I don't know how many inches the arms need to extend to be able o do a 90 degree turn. Thanks
NatasNJ is offline  
post #7210 of 19051 Old 11-19-2017, 12:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sheshechic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Suffolk, VA
Posts: 3,275
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjames View Post
Like almost every other recommended setting on YouTube or this forum, those settings are good for streaming 4K HDR content and movies over broadcast cable only.

Somewhere along the line, optimized settings for high motion live video sports over a good ol' HD from a cable box are not taken into account. People who sell these 4K TVs and are excited about them are so because of their incredible capabilities with incredible content. But when it comes to doing a good job with the old HD 1080i or 720p content that is not a movie, it's ignored. Someone gives us a geometry lesson on pixel mapping as if it's supposed to make us feel better when the NFL on FOX looks like it's being viewed through a screen door.

I use other custom settings because most of my TV viewing is at night when I am home from work and I am watching local live baseball, local live hockey, live news broadcasts, etc. as well as spending my Sunday's watching the NFL. These recommended settings by professional calibraters are hogwash unless you are just a movie film viewer, a cord cutter using a streaming box, or someone consumed with watching Netflix, Amazon Prime, or other 4K sources. They are lame for live broadcast content over HD cable.
It seems there are at least 3 sets of tv owners- 1)appreciates calibration and all that it brings (may even attempt a diy calibration using slides or WOW disc) 2) believes the only tools needed to get the best picture are their eyes 3) just don't care- plug and play. Which are you?

You can call me Sheila.
sheshechic is offline  
post #7211 of 19051 Old 11-19-2017, 12:39 PM
Advanced Member
 
green666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Croatia
Posts: 525
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericuf View Post
Thanks! Does the tv upscale automatically then?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes it does. It does the best job with 1080i where it doesnt need any extra options to be used, if you have stb or something else choose [email protected] output to tv because it can sometimes stutter with 60hz.

1st 55js8002: Bad DSE - returned for replace
2nd 55js8002: Exactly the same thing - refund
55js9002: Panel R.I.P. (edge bleed after 1 year of use) - refund
55x900E: Great TV - hope it will last
green666 is offline  
post #7212 of 19051 Old 11-19-2017, 12:41 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 429
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac128 View Post

It doesn't. But it doesn't do 4K either. If you say you're seeing digital artifacts, then I presume you are looking at the SD transfer of X-Files? If it's an HD stream, then you have other problems if you are seeing artifacts. I have Hulu and HD feeds are clean and crisp.


I just assumed x files was hd. How can I tell? The main focus of the shot is usually pretty clear but the background is usually very pixelated and noisy.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Raiders4life12 is online now  
post #7213 of 19051 Old 11-19-2017, 12:58 PM
Senior Member
 
boltjames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 481
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post
It seems there are at least 3 sets of tv owners- 1)appreciates calibration and all that it brings (may even attempt a diy calibration using slides or WOW disc) 2) believes the only tools needed to get the best picture are their eyes 3) just don't care- plug and play. Which are you?
I'm a #1 , definitely. Or at least I used to be.

The last time I needed to care about calibration in any sense was 8 years ago when I got my 55" 1080p Sony NX810. Back then, there were recommended "consensus" best settings in this very forum that applied to only Cable TV content because back then that's what we were watching. I could come here, learn from experts, walk away with great settings, and within 10 minutes my 1080p Sony panel would look spectacular. Lived with those settings for 8 years, 720p and 1080i cable broadcasts looked terrific, never gave it a second thought after that.

Flash forward to today, different story. All the recommended settings I see on YouTube and this forum are built around 4K, HDR, streaming apps, and gaming sources. It's like 1080i and 720p cable still isn't what 95% of the owners watch 95% of the time. So instead of picking up a simple set of settings optimized for good ol' HD cable boxes from one of the fine members of this forum, I've had to improvise and I still don't have it to my satisfaction yet.

And I'm not alone. And as we get through Black Friday this thread is going to be flooded with people like me who bought this 4K panel as a replacement for our old 1080p panels and not really to watch 4K content or to game. And for myself and those soon-to-arrive others it would be extremely nice if someone with expertise in the art could create a set of recommended settings for those who don't care about 4K HDR content at all and whose priority is solely live sports on 1080i and 720p cable TV so that those of us disappointed in the step-backwards in picture quality can worship our 900E's the way the 4K HDR people do.
boltjames is offline  
post #7214 of 19051 Old 11-19-2017, 01:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sheshechic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Suffolk, VA
Posts: 3,275
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders4life12 View Post
I just assumed x files was hd. How can I tell? The main focus of the shot is usually pretty clear but the background is usually very pixelated and noisy.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Try turning down sharpness 1 or two clicks to see if that does anything.

You can call me Sheila.
sheshechic is offline  
post #7215 of 19051 Old 11-19-2017, 01:18 PM
Newbie
 
forbiddenx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradman View Post
Yes, you are in for quite a nice upgrade. Use the HDMI cable included with your Pro, HDMI input 2 or 3 on the TV, and set those ports to Enhanced.
Obviously, 4K titles will shine, but activate Boost Mode on the Pro to enjoy increased resolution and better frame rates and loads of older games.
Great that's exactly what I was hoping for. I just got my PS4 Pro today and I can't wait to try it out.
forbiddenx is offline  
post #7216 of 19051 Old 11-19-2017, 01:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sheshechic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Suffolk, VA
Posts: 3,275
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjames View Post
I'm a #1 , definitely. Or at least I used to be.

The last time I needed to care about calibration in any sense was 8 years ago when I got my 55" 1080p Sony NX810. Back then, there were recommended "consensus" best settings in this very forum that applied to only Cable TV content because back then that's what we were watching. I could come here, learn from experts, walk away with great settings, and within 10 minutes my 1080p Sony panel would look spectacular. Lived with those settings for 8 years, 720p and 1080i cable broadcasts looked terrific, never gave it a second thought after that.

Flash forward to today, different story. All the recommended settings I see on YouTube and this forum are built around 4K, HDR, streaming apps, and gaming sources. It's like 1080i and 720p cable still isn't what 95% of the owners watch 95% of the time. So instead of picking up a simple set of settings optimized for good ol' HD cable boxes from one of the fine members of this forum, I've had to improvise and I still don't have it to my satisfaction yet.

And I'm not alone. And as we get through Black Friday this thread is going to be flooded with people like me who bought this 4K panel as a replacement for our old 1080p panels and not really to watch 4K content or to game. And for myself and those soon-to-arrive others it would be extremely nice if someone with expertise in the art could create a set of recommended settings for those who don't care about 4K HDR content at all and whose priority is solely live sports on 1080i and 720p cable TV so that those of us disappointed in the step-backwards in picture quality can worship our 900E's the way the 4K HDR people do.
Thank you. This helps me understand you better. I agree that it would be nice if someone with expertise in the art could help with this. Coming from the plasma forums to this is a little disheartening to say the least. When I first arrived at AVS it was for help with buying a LCD and those people were here, or at least people with enough knowledge to help us get there on our own. It seems that most of those people are in the OLED forums now and still aren't there nearly as often as they were in the plasma forums.

I just hope that I don't have to return this tv because it turns out not to be much better than the TCL P. *sigh*

You can call me Sheila.
sheshechic is offline  
post #7217 of 19051 Old 11-19-2017, 02:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sneals2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: UK
Posts: 7,866
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Freak View Post
What exactly is HDR 10 for? When I switch it on, it makes the picture look worse.
HDR10 lets you manually force the TV into HDR10 mode (i.e. to display HDR native content encoded in the HDR10 format). Most sources should autoswitch to HDR10 over HDMI - but there are some sources (PCs, Media Players) that may not, or you may be playing files on them that aren't. The same is true for HLG.

If you aren't playing HDR10 or HLG content that's not automatically switching - leave it in AUTO.
Super Freak likes this.
sneals2000 is offline  
post #7218 of 19051 Old 11-19-2017, 02:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 2,974
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1697 Post(s)
Liked: 1024
So I fired up my 55X900e just to test it out and broken. Weird lines throughout the screen. Broken panel.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Hetfieldjames is online now  
post #7219 of 19051 Old 11-19-2017, 02:52 PM
Advanced Member
 
kenoh89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 723
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked: 97
I just got my set two days ago and can't get HDR to work on my PC using MadVR and a Titan XP. When I try and put it in exclusive Fullscreen mode I get a blackscreen? (It works nicely with my x800 and PS4 Pro.)
kenoh89 is offline  
post #7220 of 19051 Old 11-19-2017, 02:56 PM
Advanced Member
 
Mac128's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 930
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post
Thank you. This helps me understand you better. I agree that it would be nice if someone with expertise in the art could help with this. Coming from the plasma forums to this is a little disheartening to say the least. When I first arrived at AVS it was for help with buying a LCD and those people were here, or at least people with enough knowledge to help us get there on our own. It seems that most of those people are in the OLED forums now and still aren't there nearly as often as they were in the plasma forums.

I just hope that I don't have to return this tv because it turns out not to be much better than the TCL P. *sigh*
I gotta tell you, I don't understand the complaints about 720p and 1080i signals looking like crap on this TV. I have crystal clear pictures and watch lots of sports, and they all look as good or better than my 1080p. That said, I'm using an $30 flat wall-mount OTA antenna for my local channels and I'm streaming other live network feeds. I'd definitely recommend an OTA if you find your cable or satellite provider isn't up to snuff. I used to have DirecTV and TimeWarner cable, and in both cases, the picture could sometimes look terrible on both my 1080p and 720p. So I refuse to believe that there's some inherent problem with 4K TVs and network HD signals, nor that 95% of all the owners watch only HD network broadcasts 95% of the time, making the TV inappropriate for them. That's just unsubstantiated hyperbole. The facts are that the TV does an excellent job with HD upscaling, and that's supported by the reality behind the basic technology, even with a bad signal. Sure some people on his forum are complaining about this problem, but it's nowhere near 95% -- and this TV has been on the market for over a year, with plenty of big sales which would have put them into the "average" customer's homes.

The bottom line here seems to be people upgrading from smaller sets to larger ones. Even larger 1080p sets look worse than smaller ones. A 55" to 65" or 65" to 75" is going to make a huge difference in the size of the 1080p pixels, and thus reveal the flaws of lower resolution pictures. I can see the proof in my own home. How can a 10 year old 720p set, which is really WXGA (so the picture is being upscaled 1.067x), look better than a 4 year old larger 1080p set by the same manufacturer? Sure it could be a problem with the TVs, or it could be that the smaller the pixels, the better the picture looks, the larger, the worse, regardless of the source.

And by the way, I sit 7 feet from my 65" panel, about 30 degrees off axis. So the whole idea about viewing distances being a problem has also been debunked, and from my experience, rightly so. The real bottom line is we're all different, and have different perceptions. And the only way to judge something this subtle is to get the panel in your house. I hate the idea of returning anything, but especially something the size of a 65" TV, much less 75". The sad reality is, I went through two other brand panels and returned them before settling on this one after much additional research and looking at the 900e in four other stores. But I wasn't going to keep a set that looked good in the store but not in my home. I can live with a lot of things, but something I spend so much time looking at, I couldn't accept issues that bothered me.

I wish you the best of luck here, but there's no use worrying about it, based on a few opinions from anecdotal experiences. You have to get the set into your own environment and make the decision yourself.

Last edited by Mac128; 11-19-2017 at 03:14 PM.
Mac128 is offline  
post #7221 of 19051 Old 11-19-2017, 03:06 PM
Member
 
kauaidoug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Kaua'i
Posts: 199
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjames View Post
I'm a #1 , definitely. Or at least I used to be.

The last time I needed to care about calibration in any sense was 8 years ago when I got my 55" 1080p Sony NX810. Back then, there were recommended "consensus" best settings in this very forum that applied to only Cable TV content because back then that's what we were watching. I could come here, learn from experts, walk away with great settings, and within 10 minutes my 1080p Sony panel would look spectacular. Lived with those settings for 8 years, 720p and 1080i cable broadcasts looked terrific, never gave it a second thought after that.

Flash forward to today, different story. All the recommended settings I see on YouTube and this forum are built around 4K, HDR, streaming apps, and gaming sources. It's like 1080i and 720p cable still isn't what 95% of the owners watch 95% of the time. So instead of picking up a simple set of settings optimized for good ol' HD cable boxes from one of the fine members of this forum, I've had to improvise and I still don't have it to my satisfaction yet.

And I'm not alone. And as we get through Black Friday this thread is going to be flooded with people like me who bought this 4K panel as a replacement for our old 1080p panels and not really to watch 4K content or to game. And for myself and those soon-to-arrive others it would be extremely nice if someone with expertise in the art could create a set of recommended settings for those who don't care about 4K HDR content at all and whose priority is solely live sports on 1080i and 720p cable TV so that those of us disappointed in the step-backwards in picture quality can worship our 900E's the way the 4K HDR people do.
I am one of those soon to join types(55") and I am a movie watcher and NO sports(spots) over cable and I do not have access to OTA. I am a pull out the box, plug it in and want my 1k TV(yes price drop and match from Crutchfield's, Thanks Doc) to look great. I would guess that any TV company who designs these fancy new 4k Tvs designs them to work form the gitgo for the majority of consumers way less "sophistcated" than I.

I have spent months looking at websites, TVs etc and for 1k I expect a great pic and I don't care how close I am sitting, obviously not right up on it but it should look great, that's why I bought this Sony. If I was some of the folks here not getting the best pic possible for sports or anything I would be pissed. I am hoping for their sake as well as mine they just need to push the right buttons or plug in the correct ports. My TV is suppose to arrive on Island Wednesday so hoping to watch Parades and what not on Thanksgiving sitting 7 feet from my TV. Gobble Gobble to you all.
kauaidoug is offline  
post #7222 of 19051 Old 11-19-2017, 03:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
motoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: California
Posts: 1,677
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post
Thank you. This helps me understand you better. I agree that it would be nice if someone with expertise in the art could help with this. Coming from the plasma forums to this is a little disheartening to say the least. When I first arrived at AVS it was for help with buying a LCD and those people were here, or at least people with enough knowledge to help us get there on our own. It seems that most of those people are in the OLED forums now and still aren't there nearly as often as they were in the plasma forums.

I just hope that I don't have to return this tv because it turns out not to be much better than the TCL P. *sigh*
I got my 65X900e yesterday. I’m coming from a 55” Samsung UN55B8500 which was Samsung’s top of the line FALD set in 2009. Always had a wonderful picture with cable and anything fed to it. I sit right at 12’ away from the set. Initially when I set up the 900e I thought it had a great picture on the football game I was watching but today i’ve Struggled with it. I have been watching football and the NASCAR race and just can’t seem to find the right setting. I really wonder if the Sony A1E would look any better for standard broadcast cable. I’ve heard people say it does a great job at upscaling but I don’t know if it would be any better. That was the set I was originally going to get but decided to get a 900e when they went on sale. Now with the A1E sale it is awful tempting to swap it for another set.

Just frustrated I guess and having some buyers remorse. 😬
sheshechic and kauaidoug like this.
motoman is offline  
post #7223 of 19051 Old 11-19-2017, 03:44 PM
Member
 
NatasNJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 192
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatasNJ View Post
Hello

I just purchases a 900e and I am having some issues with the audio settings. I am coming from a Panasonic Plasma and had to use a audio stripping box to get all 5.1 passed correctly to my Sonos playbar. Since I had the understanding that the new Sonys passthrough 5.1 via its optical out from HDMI sources I reconifgured things as such.

XBOX HDMI -> 900e HDMI 1 -> Optical to Playbar
TIVO HDMI -> 900e HDMI 3 -> Optical to Playbar

I can confirm 5.1 on all internal apps to the TV out to my playbar.
I tested the TIVO and I am showing Stereo only. Any ideas?
I have not tried the Xbox yet.

Also can anyone recommend a TV mount for this TV that will allow me to pull it off the wall and turn it ~90 degrees. I don't know how many inches the arms need to extend to be able o do a 90 degree turn. Thanks
Solved my Tivo Problem. Somehow my Tivo sound output was set incorrectly. I changed it to Dolby Digital and 5.1 out of my Sonos. So Pass through 100% works.

So down to just needing a mount. Trying to find one at under $100 that can allow me to pull TV out and turn in close to 90 degrees. I am guessing I need a 24" or so extensions minimum to be able to turn it fully. I also want this adjustment to be easy. If it is a pain I will never do it. Needs to be a simple pull out and twist at most.

Any suggestions on that?
NatasNJ is offline  
post #7224 of 19051 Old 11-19-2017, 03:55 PM
Member
 
mhraracing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjames View Post
I'm a #1 , definitely. Or at least I used to be.

The last time I needed to care about calibration in any sense was 8 years ago when I got my 55" 1080p Sony NX810. Back then, there were recommended "consensus" best settings in this very forum that applied to only Cable TV content because back then that's what we were watching. I could come here, learn from experts, walk away with great settings, and within 10 minutes my 1080p Sony panel would look spectacular. Lived with those settings for 8 years, 720p and 1080i cable broadcasts looked terrific, never gave it a second thought after that.

Flash forward to today, different story. All the recommended settings I see on YouTube and this forum are built around 4K, HDR, streaming apps, and gaming sources. It's like 1080i and 720p cable still isn't what 95% of the owners watch 95% of the time. So instead of picking up a simple set of settings optimized for good ol' HD cable boxes from one of the fine members of this forum, I've had to improvise and I still don't have it to my satisfaction yet.

And I'm not alone. And as we get through Black Friday this thread is going to be flooded with people like me who bought this 4K panel as a replacement for our old 1080p panels and not really to watch 4K content or to game. And for myself and those soon-to-arrive others it would be extremely nice if someone with expertise in the art could create a set of recommended settings for those who don't care about 4K HDR content at all and whose priority is solely live sports on 1080i and 720p cable TV so that those of us disappointed in the step-backwards in picture quality can worship our 900E's the way the 4K HDR people do.
This is such a true statement - I am seriously considering the 900e or 930e - but I am struggling with all the comments on each forum postings. I am coming from Plasmas and they both look great with cable TV and I will watch cable 99% of the time - with an occasional blue ray movie - but that is it.
sheshechic likes this.
mhraracing is offline  
post #7225 of 19051 Old 11-19-2017, 04:00 PM
Advanced Member
 
Poolshark69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Nova Scotia Canada
Posts: 842
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhraracing View Post
This is such a true statement - I am seriously considering the 900e or 930e - but I am struggling with all the comments on each forum postings. I am coming from Plasmas and they both look great with cable TV and I will watch cable 99% of the time - with an occasional blue ray movie - but that is it.
I am coming from Plasma as well and it is truly a bit of an eye opener when moving to a 4K set. if you can let yourself relax about how cable TV will be different on a 4K set then you will probably be ok. Give it a few days or more to adjust your mind to the picture difference. Try some various sources to appreciate 4K and BD on the 4K set and eventually the cable will look passable and the set will stay with you.

Gamertag: Quicksilver1663
Poolshark69 is online now  
post #7226 of 19051 Old 11-19-2017, 04:09 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 157
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Yeah, I remember when I got my first HD set back in 2004. There were only a couple channels in HD (HBO, Starz, HDnet, ect...). Everything else didn't look that great in 480I. So, I think were going through another growing period. But, at least now we don't have to deal with 4x3 picture anymore.
sheshechic likes this.
Kb Cool is offline  
post #7227 of 19051 Old 11-19-2017, 04:25 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Ph8te's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 18,992
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6327 Post(s)
Liked: 6000
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoman View Post
I got my 65X900e yesterday. I’m coming from a 55” Samsung UN55B8500 which was Samsung’s top of the line FALD set in 2009. Always had a wonderful picture with cable and anything fed to it. I sit right at 12’ away from the set. Initially when I set up the 900e I thought it had a great picture on the football game I was watching but today i’ve Struggled with it. I have been watching football and the NASCAR race and just can’t seem to find the right setting. I really wonder if the Sony A1E would look any better for standard broadcast cable. I’ve heard people say it does a great job at upscaling but I don’t know if it would be any better. That was the set I was originally going to get but decided to get a 900e when they went on sale. Now with the A1E sale it is awful tempting to swap it for another set.



Just frustrated I guess and having some buyers remorse.

If you spend double and nothing changes what then? As it’s been said making that large of a jump you are going to see those things you didn’t on your 55”. The complaints I see about football are all over the forums on multiple sets especially when making large jumps in size. People don’t realize how BAD most of the football games are when seeing wide shots. Could you see an improvement? Sure, but at more than double the price how much of an improvement are you expecting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhraracing View Post
This is such a true statement - I am seriously considering the 900e or 930e - but I am struggling with all the comments on each forum postings. I am coming from Plasmas and they both look great with cable TV and I will watch cable 99% of the time - with an occasional blue ray movie - but that is it.

You see this all of the time. Generally you will always see more problem/complaint posts than positive posts. Those who have problems are alway more vocal, happy owners are usually quiet owners. It will be a risk no matter what TV you select these days. If you expect your new TV to be some magical new toy, I think you’ll be underwhelmed. These days it’s about determining what problems you are willing to live with and which ones you are not.
Poolshark69 likes this.
Ph8te is online now  
post #7228 of 19051 Old 11-19-2017, 04:36 PM
Member
 
NatasNJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 192
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
What are people using to browse the internet on their 900e's? I don't see a default web browser app and I don't see chrome or firefox in the play store. What am I missing here?
NatasNJ is offline  
post #7229 of 19051 Old 11-19-2017, 05:16 PM
Member
 
ejewels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 119
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 16
New X900E - issues or normal?

Hey Guys-

I picked up a Sony X900E (65”) from BB today, coming from a Panny plasma ST30 55”. I read the rtings review and the gray uniformity rating and some of this seems normal but figured I’d make sure with experts here.

When displaying a solid color or fairly light non-busy scene, the corners appear to be a little darker almost like a slight vignette. Also, the edges of the screen seem to be a tad lighter like an opposite vignette when a darker color is on screen. I think I might have heard this called uniformity or clouding and it’s a characteristic of LCD and FALD? All this is hardly noticeable and being a motion graphics professional myself, I stare at screens all day so I was studying it to make sure all is good.

Anyways, Hoping this stuff is normal?
ejewels is offline  
post #7230 of 19051 Old 11-19-2017, 05:56 PM
Member
 
ejewels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 119
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I should also note after watching more... the edges only seem to ghost or bleed slightly (the second issue I wrote in my first post) when that side of the screen has a light color and a dark color. If the entire edge is a dark color I don’t see it and it’s pretty uniform.
ejewels is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
issues , motion , motionflow , problems , Sony , sound delay , x900e

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off