2017 Sony XBR 900E owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 295 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 40453Likes

post #8821 of 19591 Old 12-11-2017, 09:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2011 Post(s)
Liked: 1467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
When in that situation you have to view each TV from the proper distance, you can not view both at the same difference as the smaller TV will always look better.......
The smaller screen might look better but it will still be S-M-A-L-L-E-R.

FUD's first law of TV selection - what looks small in the showroom might look bigger in your home but still be smaller than the large TV you compared it to.

Folks - a lot of education went into discovering that statement.
Mac128 likes this.

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, Bluesound Node 2i, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3, AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 - 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's-V.5 (FL/FR), CC-690-V.5 (C), ADP 590-V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub, Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8822 of 19591 Old 12-11-2017, 10:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Its normal to have brighter borders in the screen ? I exchange 3 and all have this:

Dr.Shankenstein likes this.
post #8823 of 19591 Old 12-11-2017, 10:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1302 Post(s)
Liked: 778
Quote:
Originally Posted by otimus View Post
Asking this question here, that I also asked on Roku's forum, as it pertains to these TV, and I'm just not sure if it's the TV, the Roku App, the Roku itself, or what, and I'd like any help anyone can provide:

This problem is bugging the heck out of me. Everything has been fine for a couple of days since I got the thing, but now, for seemingly no reason (I've changed nothing since the initial set up of the TV, and before anyone asks, the settings are on on my TV to enable 4K HDR 60 on the supported HDMI ports, it's a Sony X900E. I know that's the problem people always suggest first. It's not that!) The problem is this: When I first set everything up, 1080p 60 on youtube worked fine. 4K 60? Also fine. 4K 60 HDR? Fine too!

Come yesterday (and still now), not so. 1080p 60 works... on some 1080p/60 youtube videos (but not all), 4K 60 videos are playing back in 4K at 30 FPS. Likewise with 4K 60 HDR. (The HDR works, though!).

This is only with youtube, too, on the Stick. I don't know a way to test 4K 60 HDR on it outside of youtube, but 4K 60 works on Plex just fine, and every other app is doing what it's supposed to be doing normally. It's just youtube. (I've also ran every speed test I can possibly run. I've got pretty fast internet (300Mb down/50 Up), and the wifi connection to the Roku seems ultra-stable by all metrics I have that I can test it. Other wifi devices are fine. I'm able to consistently get 4K/60 on the TV's built in youtube app (it can't do HDR, though) and I'm also able to consistently get 1080p/60 on my PS4. Is this normal? Is it a Youtube problem? is it a problem with the stick?

Oh, also, some youtube HDR videos have a slight... I guess flicker? Every few seconds, for like a milisecond, the screen will flash black. Doesn't happen with all HDR videos, but it happens with a good few. (For example, if you find the HDR LG test video of like.. chess or something? It's one of the videos on the HDR channel on youtube). Is that normal? It only happens with youtube. Nothing else.

Edit: Here's a video of a video that should be 60 fps, as well as flickering with HDR:

My video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyqUqslBiD0

Original video I'm watching in the clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RIDhA9c8qw

Remember that there's no HDR support for Youtube on your TV. The only way to view Youtube videos in HDR are through the use of a Chromecast Ultra, or 4k Websites where you can download the videos and use an app like Plex or Kodi for viewing.

Sony XBR55X900E
Marantz SR7010/Marantz MM7025
Oppo UDP-203 - Nvidia Shield
XBox One X
Klipsch RP-260f - RP-440C - RP140sa- RP-160m - RB10 - Sony SA-WM500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8824 of 19591 Old 12-11-2017, 10:23 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove93 View Post
Remember that there's no HDR support for Youtube on your TV. The only way to view Youtube videos in HDR are through the use of a Chromecast Ultra, or 4k Websites where you can download the videos and use an app like Plex or Kodi for viewing.
Roku definitely supports 4K HDR on youtube. (They added support for it this year on the Premiere+ and Ultra, and the new Streaming Stick+ also can do it)

(Refernce: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/465-hi...pport-hdr.html )
post #8825 of 19591 Old 12-11-2017, 10:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Roku definitely supports 4K HDR on youtube. (They added support for it this year on the Premiere+ and Ultra, and the new Streaming Stick+ also can do it)

(Refernce: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/465-hi...pport-hdr.html )
Are you able to adjust the Roku to 4:2:2 or 4:2:0 10-bit Rec.2020?

Sony XBR55X900E
XBox One X
post #8826 of 19591 Old 12-11-2017, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Are you able to adjust the Roku to 4:2:2 or 4:2:0 10-bit Rec.2020?
I tried that, I went into the secret menu for it or whatever, and had no options for it. Maybe that setting no longer exists for the new Streaming Stick+?

https://i.imgur.com/jpHAVtS.jpg
post #8827 of 19591 Old 12-11-2017, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddysnake View Post
was this posted? updated settings from rtings

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgoR...ature=youtu.be
I used these settings and did not enjoy them. I found the screen was too dark and there was not much color presented. I went with Quantum Apothesis suggestions and the screen looks stunning. I made some minor adjustments so the color was not so oversaturated.

I enjoy rtings but was really shocked with their settings. Did anyone else run into this?
post #8828 of 19591 Old 12-11-2017, 10:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I tried that, I went into the secret menu for it or whatever, and had no options for it. Maybe that setting no longer exists for the new Streaming Stick+?

https://i.imgur.com/jpHAVtS.jpg
Are you able to downgrade to an earlier version of Youtube on your Roku to see if the issue persists?

Sony XBR55X900E
XBox One X
post #8829 of 19591 Old 12-11-2017, 10:41 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I just want to reiterate the sound delay issue. I'm also having the problem & I posted about it a while back but got no traction at the time. I have the 75x900e with a brand new Sony 1080 receiver that is hooked up via ARC with a brand new HDMI cable from Amazon.

I am strictly OTA and I am seeing sound delay on all my OTA channels. Internal apps to the TV are unaffected. Also anything I plug into the back of the TV like a Roku stick or whatever also has audio delay. I plug that same device into the back of the receiver then there is no delay.

I called Sony on this weeks ago & spoke to a helpful level 1 tech but nothing we did fixed it. He said if I call back it would get escalated to level 2 but I never did. Maybe it would be worth that 2nd call now.
sheshechic likes this.
post #8830 of 19591 Old 12-11-2017, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OK KO View Post
Lol. I reallize all that you are saying and that's why I don't know if I should care about not having it. I'm within the timeframe to return the TV and wait until next year if I really want this eARC capability.

I remember you stating before that DD+ can carry the Atmos soundtracks but does that mean that this TV will be able to provide the pass through to the AVR for it as I thought that I read only LG sets can do this? Do we think that DTS:X can operate the same way?

Kev
Yes, the issue of DD+ providing Dolby Atmos soundtracks (compressed - lossy, if you will) is not debated.

The real problem is lack of content and the crazy hoops you have to go through to get to Dolby Atmos over ARC. I know that HDMI 2.0 ARC can provide a Dolby Atmos soundtrack via DD+. But Jeez, Louise, you have to consider your TV, your AVR and then find any content with Dolby Atmos.

Example: Netflix Dolby Atmos streaming is supported on Microsoft's Xbox One, One S and 2017 LG OLED TV's with the notation that the LG OLED TV's have built-in Dolby Atmos capabilities that create a 360 degree sound field around you WITHOUT the need to connect an external sound system. Are they out of their minds?

Why can't Netflix just provide everyone Dolby Atmos via DD+ and existing HDMI 2.0? I know my Comcast box provided an episode of Black Sails with Dolby Atmos via DD+.

VUDU has a whole list of compatible devices that are required for an expensive, lossy Dolby Atmos soundtrack. Thanks, but I'll pass.

And we're are not even talking about Dolby Vison or HDR10 or HDR10+.

Maybe I'm old fashioned but it just isn't worth it to me to worry about Dolby Atmos content when there is such little (like virtually none) that is available from OTA or broadcast TV, either cable or satellite, and content that is Dolby Atmos via streaming but lossy (compressed) is outrageously priced.

I use DSU and DTS Neo X (older AVR) upscaling and I'm happy with that and the occasional Redbox regular Bluray disc that has a Dolby Atmos track on it.

You can chase standards all day long but in the end, if the content isn't there - whether that be attributed to technical capability or general lack of content, period, it's not worth the effort.

IMHO - I wouldn't worry about your investment in the Sony 900E. Maybe in five years, it will be a different situation, but until then - - I'm a happy camper with what I have today.

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, Bluesound Node 2i, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3, AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 - 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's-V.5 (FL/FR), CC-690-V.5 (C), ADP 590-V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub, Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)

Last edited by Ricoflashback; 12-11-2017 at 10:48 AM.
post #8831 of 19591 Old 12-11-2017, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Are you able to downgrade to an earlier version of Youtube on your Roku to see if the issue persists?
Doesn't seem to be a way for me to do that, I checked various secret and non-secret menus :/
post #8832 of 19591 Old 12-11-2017, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leandro Acevedo (Qix) View Post
Its normal to have brighter borders in the screen ? I exchange 3 and all have this:

I have it too. This is my 2nd one also. I only notice it on dark scenes. Bias lighting has helped.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
post #8833 of 19591 Old 12-11-2017, 10:49 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Scott View Post
Is it just me or does every professional review have a different idea (especially brightness/contrast) on how to calibrate this TV? Are they using professional calibration hardware or just eyeballing it?

Anyway off the soap box.

I have had my 55" X900E for over a month and have been really enjoying it. This is the best TV I have ever owned by far. I was a plasma fan for many years and my old LG 50PK250 is now dedicated as a spare TV in the rec room.

I've been tweaking the 900E based on settings from "professional reviews" previously posted by others and have it pretty much dialed in (I think) but one thing that was haunting me was the judder I was still seeing on the 900E with 24p Blu-Ray material using the True Cinema and Cinemotion recommended settings. As much as I played with these two settings, I couldn't reduce the judder I was seeing without turning on that freaky soap opera effect. I tried watching the SOE for a while because I hated judder and ghosting more. I couldn't get used to it. It just looks strange.

On my old LG plasma, the set would display 24p material beautifully without judder. Camera pans and motion were really nice without resorting to the soap opera effect.

So I began to play with the custom motion settings on the 900E. Using my plasma for direct comparison using the same Blu-Ray, watching specific camera pans and fast action scenes. I think I nailed it down. The motion on the 900E now matches the smooth motion I was getting on my plasma. I set Motionflow to Custom: Level 2, and Clearness at MIN, Cinemotion is set to HIGH. This in my opinion are the settings to use

The recommended "True Cinema" and "Smooth" setting by others is unwatchable for me. Does anyone else have a similar experience?

A good scene to test this on is during the beginning of "The Revenant" when DiCaprio is stalking a buck through the forest. The camera does a slow horizontal pan away from him to the left. On my plasma the trees in the forest are pretty smooth but on the 900E the trees were almost strobing using the recommended TrueCinema motion settings.
The best scene I've found for testing this is from 10 CLOVERFIELD LANE. The Scene where John Goodman first shows his "guests" the common room. It's a 360 degree pan that will pop your eyeballs if not judder free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnojham View Post
thanks for the thoughts
i have some pics, will post them later today.
the picture itself looks fine, aside from the pixelation i mentioned when watching football. but i am admittedly trying to find any potential issue/defect while im still in my return window so i can make a decision.

regarding your text above in red, youre lucky because you got the x900e and didnt have an issue, or youre lucky relative to the rest of the people with any random tv in general? i have never had an lcd to compare to, im moving to this unit from a rear projection box, but for the cost of these tvs, i dont think a person should be 'lucky' to get a set with no issues.
thanks again
I've never owned a plasma, specifically because of all the horror stories I heard back in the day when they were being sold, as far as your statement goes. Heck even CRT TVs all had some issue or another that always meant a roll of the dice, and living with something vs. going through the replacement tango, and risking some other problem to solve one. As for LCD panels, they have always been a mixed bag. I remember back in the day, I would buy a new laptop and count myself lucky if I only had a couple of stuck pixels. With TVs it is a constant battle between price and quality. These are huge panels assembled by poorly paid employees who could never hope to own the TVs they make. The quality will vary, but mostly fits within the tolerances of the average TV viewer. When I say "I'm lucky", I mean I'm luck to be so critical of my technology to receive a panel that achieves high marks in all areas where the average panel might typically be acceptable with a higher level of noticeable defects. That statement is purely meant in the context of the hyper-critical AVS member. Add to that, these smart TVs are loaded with finicky technology and a dozen things that could go wrong with them.

That said, if you want the best technology available, with no flaws whatsoever, then you should probably be prepared to spend over $6,000 on a well-reviewed state of the art OLED screen. No offense, but your statement is unreasonable for someone spending only the amount of money a 900E costs, and expecting it to be perfectly flawless technology for every unit produced. I realize you're new to LCD, but Plasma was never all sunshine and happiness either. There are most definitely trade offs in every commercial technology marketed to consumers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leandro Acevedo (Qix) View Post

Is this on all source material? If so, I'd say no, and you have a defect. If only a few sources then it's something else.
post #8834 of 19591 Old 12-11-2017, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac128 View Post
The best scene I've found for testing this is from 10 CLOVERFIELD LANE. The Scene where John Goodman first shows his "guests" the common room. It's a 360 degree pan that will pop your eyeballs if not judder free.

I've never owned a plasma, specifically because of all the horror stories I heard back in the day when they were being sold, as far as your statement goes. Heck even CRT TVs all had some issue or another that always meant a roll of the dice, and living with something vs. going through the replacement tango, and risking some other problem to solve one. As for LCD panels, they have always been a mixed bag. I remember back in the day, I would buy a new laptop and count myself lucky if I only had a couple of stuck pixels. With TVs it is a constant battle between price and quality. These are huge panels assembled by poorly paid employees who could never hope to own the TVs they make. The quality will vary, but mostly fits within the tolerances of the average TV viewer. When I say "I'm lucky", I mean I'm luck to be so critical of my technology to receive a panel that achieves high marks in all areas where the average panel might typically be acceptable with a higher level of noticeable defects. That statement is purely meant in the context of the hyper-critical AVS member. Add to that, these smart TVs are loaded with finicky technology and a dozen things that could go wrong with them.

That said, if you want the best technology available, with no flaws whatsoever, then you should probably be prepared to spend over $6,000 on a well-reviewed state of the art OLED screen. No offense, but your statement is unreasonable for someone spending only the amount of money a 900E costs, and expecting it to be perfectly flawless technology for every unit produced. I realize you're new to LCD, but Plasma was never all sunshine and happiness either. There are most definitely trade offs in every commercial technology marketed to consumers.

Is this on all source material? If so, I'd say no, and you have a defect. If only a few sources then it's something else.
Yes all sources when show lighter colours.

Its the same in this video showing the x800e:

post #8835 of 19591 Old 12-11-2017, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWOLF View Post
I have it too. This is my 2nd one also. I only notice it on dark scenes. Bias lighting has helped.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
I saw videos from the x800e and x720e and have the same "problem".

Check this video, you can see it crearly, i have the same in my x900e:

post #8836 of 19591 Old 12-11-2017, 11:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
So I began to play with the custom motion settings on the 900E. Using my plasma for direct comparison using the same Blu-Ray, watching specific camera pans and fast action scenes. I think I nailed it down. The motion on the 900E now matches the smooth motion I was getting on my plasma. I set Motionflow to Custom: Level 2, and Clearness at MIN, Cinemotion is set to HIGH. This in my opinion are the settings to use

The recommended "True Cinema" and "Smooth" setting by others is unwatchable for me. Does anyone else have a similar experience?

A good scene to test this on is during the beginning of "The Revenant" when DiCaprio is stalking a buck through the forest. The camera does a slow horizontal pan away from him to the left. On my plasma the trees in the forest are pretty smooth but on the 900E the trees were almost strobing using the recommended TrueCinema motion settings.
I will give this a shot as well. I have been using TrueCinema and HIGH and I'm not distracted with judder as most appear to be, but I definitely recognize it and quite honestly just thought that's how it's supposed to look. Thanks
Todd Scott likes this.
post #8837 of 19591 Old 12-11-2017, 11:08 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by pehaire View Post
Dark corners on these sets are normal and youll have it on every set.

what Im more currently worried about is the light around the frames. Its inconsistent, but noticeable especially in black screens when there are words in the middle of the screen like opening credits.

Can any one else confirm this? I ve had the same thing on 2 sets, so Im thinking its on all of them.
I have the same problem with my 65" x900e. I returned two and on my third. This latest one has the least noticeable light band on the sides but it's still there. I think I'm still within the BestBuy return policy but am not sure what to do.
post #8838 of 19591 Old 12-11-2017, 11:19 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetank966 View Post
I used these settings and did not enjoy them. I found the screen was too dark and there was not much color presented. I went with Quantum Apothesis suggestions and the screen looks stunning. I made some minor adjustments so the color was not so oversaturated.

I enjoy rtings but was really shocked with their settings. Did anyone else run into this?
Where are the settings you went with?
post #8839 of 19591 Old 12-11-2017, 11:21 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post
You’re very welcome. Once you have your TV and setup completed, please let us know how it’s working out.

~ I’m all in on the Sony 900E.
~ I know of no better TV on the market. Once you settle in on your settings, the Sony 900E is a joy to watch day in and day out.
Just went thru the Sony 'Easy Setup' for the soundbar and believe it or not it works !=) I'm not ordinarily a doubtful person---or one who talks in double-negatives---but I was pretty sure I was gonna mess something up. In fact, my better half has called me her 'Sparky' ever since those National Lampoon movies w/Chevy Chase from the late 90's.

First though, is it typically better for the subwoofer to be in front, up below tv, facing back at ya? Instead of even with you-- off to one side? Which doesn't seem right cuz the SW is off center and dominate on just one side. So did I just answer my own question?

Thanks again Sir Rico, for all your friendly help! You're a Prince of a guy.
post #8840 of 19591 Old 12-11-2017, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Native vudu app doesnt play pacific rim in hdr but i can on mu xbox 1s

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
post #8841 of 19591 Old 12-11-2017, 12:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Is it just me or does every professional review have a different idea (especially brightness/contrast) on how to calibrate this TV? Are they using professional calibration hardware or just eyeballing it?

Anyway off the soap box.
The Professional reviews by Rtings, Cnet, Sound and Vision, and Reference Home Theater all used calibration hardware and software. This is discussed in their reviews. Brightness is room dependent and can be tweaked to fit your room without impacting PQ, this is also discussed in some of the reviews. Most have this between 4 and 20. The default is 20 for most picture modes. Set this where you want.
Contrast(White Level) is set to 90 or 95 in all but one of the pro reviews I've seen. 90 is default in any picture mode worth using. You can push it to 95 without clipping.
Now if you're including clowns like Coach Csan or Quantom Apotheosis, well I can't help you there, just understand that they have absolutely no idea what they are talking about, and the results show. They may be useful if you want the set to look like those at B-Dubs or Wal-Mart.

Last edited by bradman; 12-11-2017 at 12:21 PM.
post #8842 of 19591 Old 12-11-2017, 12:11 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
I've been tweaking the 900E based on settings from "professional reviews" previously posted by others and have it pretty much dialed in (I think) but one thing that was haunting me was the judder I was still seeing on the 900E with 24p Blu-Ray material using the True Cinema and Cinemotion recommended settings. As much as I played with these two settings, I couldn't reduce the judder I was seeing without turning on that freaky soap opera effect. I tried watching the SOE for a while because I hated judder and ghosting more. I couldn't get used to it. It just looks strange.

On my old LG plasma, the set would display 24p material beautifully without judder. Camera pans and motion were really nice without resorting to the soap opera effect.

I run my 900E with exactly the same motion settings you indicate here and for exactly the same reasons. I will say that on occasion, infrequently, this setting will trigger a mild "soap opera effect" on some programming. But the benefit far outweighs the infrequent negative for me. I've mentioned previously that I don't like to constantly tweak settings for different programming. I ultimately try to "dial-in" a setting that works for the majority of what I watch, and then simply enjoy the 95+ percent perfect image.
Todd Scott likes this.
post #8843 of 19591 Old 12-11-2017, 12:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetank966 View Post

I didn't. Did you try the Rtings settings for more than a few minutes?
sheshechic likes this.
post #8844 of 19591 Old 12-11-2017, 12:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Or a PS4 or a X800 UHD player, among others.
sheshechic likes this.
post #8845 of 19591 Old 12-11-2017, 12:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinMod21 View Post
Just went thru the Sony 'Easy Setup' for the soundbar and believe it or not it works !=) I'm not ordinarily a doubtful person---or one who talks in double-negatives---but I was pretty sure I was gonna mess something up. In fact, my better half has called me her 'Sparky' ever since those National Lampoon movies w/Chevy Chase from the late 90's.

First though, is it typically better for the subwoofer to be in front, up below tv, facing back at ya? Instead of even with you-- off to one side? Which doesn't seem right cuz the SW is off center and dominate on just one side. So did I just answer my own question?

I appreciate the kind words. Glad it worked out for you.

Regarding your subwoofer location - - there is no right or wrong answer, here. A lot is dependent on your room layout. See this link and article and try out some locations. It's all about your preference and how it sounds to you.

http://www.klipsch.com/blog/place-a-subwoofer-3-tips
WinMod21 likes this.

Home Theater Setup
post #8846 of 19591 Old 12-11-2017, 12:33 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6989 Post(s)
Liked: 7055
Quote:
Yes, the issue of DD+ providing Dolby Atmos soundtracks (compressed - lossy, if you will) is not debated.

The real problem is lack of content and the crazy hoops you have to go through to get to Dolby Atmos over ARC. I know that HDMI 2.0 ARC can provide a Dolby Atmos soundtrack via DD+. But Jeez, Louise, you have to consider your TV, your AVR and then find any content with Dolby Atmos.

Example: Netflix Dolby Atmos streaming is supported on Microsoft's Xbox One, One S and 2017 LG OLED TV's with the notation that the LG OLED TV's have built-in Dolby Atmos capabilities that create a 360 degree sound field around you WITHOUT the need to connect an external sound system. Are they out of their minds?

Why can't Netflix just provide everyone Dolby Atmos via DD+ and existing HDMI 2.0? I know my Comcast box provided an episode of Black Sails with Dolby Atmos via DD+.

VUDU has a whole list of compatible devices that are required for an expensive, lossy Dolby Atmos soundtrack. Thanks, but I'll pass.

And we're are not even talking about Dolby Vison or HDR10 or HDR10+.

Maybe I'm old fashioned but it just isn't worth it to me to worry about Dolby Atmos content when there is such little (like virtually none) that is available from OTA or broadcast TV, either cable or satellite, and content that is Dolby Atmos via streaming but lossy (compressed) is outrageously priced.

I use DSU and DTS Neo X (older AVR) upscaling and I'm happy with that and the occasional Redbox regular Bluray disc that has a Dolby Atmos track on it.

You can chase standards all day long but in the end, if the content isn't there - whether that be attributed to technical capability or general lack of content, period, it's not worth the effort.

IMHO - I wouldn't worry about your investment in the Sony 900E. Maybe in five years, it will be a different situation, but until then - - I'm a happy camper with what I have today.

I don’t get your comments on Vudu being “expensive”. Many times people are getting the UHD/Atmos with their Digital code from a movie they bought. You can catch movies on sale as well for ~10 and some will transfer to MA so you’ll have it in multiple locations.

I do agree about not worrying about eARC capabilities. Until streaming services start offering a lossless track, it seems a waste to me now). Plus for the OP if they “wait until next year” they’ll wait till the following year for the “next big thing”.
post #8847 of 19591 Old 12-11-2017, 12:52 PM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradman View Post
Or a PS4 or a X800 UHD player, among others.
why wouldnt sony have HDR support in their native youtube app?
post #8848 of 19591 Old 12-11-2017, 01:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinMod21 View Post

Quote:
I appreciate the kind words. Glad it worked out for you.

Regarding your subwoofer location - - there is no right or wrong answer, here. A lot is dependent on your room layout. See this link and article and try out some locations. It's all about your preference and how it sounds to you.

http://www.klipsch.com/blog/place-a-subwoofer-3-tips
The easiest way to find out where the best place to put the subwoofer is by doing the subwoofer crawl (google it or look on youtube).
post #8849 of 19591 Old 12-11-2017, 01:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post
The easiest way to find out where the best place to put the subwoofer is by doing the subwoofer crawl (google it or look on youtube).

It was a pain for me, but well worth it.
sheshechic and WinMod21 like this.

Sony XBR55X900E
XBox One X
post #8850 of 19591 Old 12-11-2017, 01:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
I don’t get your comments on Vudu being “expensive”. Many times people are getting the UHD/Atmos with their Digital code from a movie they bought. You can catch movies on sale as well for ~10 and some will transfer to MA so you’ll have it in multiple locations.

I do agree about not worrying about eARC capabilities. Until streaming services start offering a lossless track, it seems a waste to me now). Plus for the OP if they “wait until next year” they’ll wait till the following year for the “next big thing”.
Expensive in the eye of the beholder. To me - a $5.99 VUDU HDX rental is expensive. Not that I can't afford to pay it - - I'd rather not.

Great if you can get deals - I'm all for it. Speaking of which, I just got an Email for a free Redbox "Bluray" movie. I think I'll peruse over there and pick it out.
WinMod21 likes this.

Home Theater Setup
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
issues , motion , motionflow , problems , Sony , sound delay , x900e

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page