2017 Sony XBR 900E owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 310 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 40324Likes

post #9271 of 18897 Old 12-15-2017, 03:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 947 Post(s)
Liked: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codeman89 View Post
I understand but HDR mode is not present with these options. Only HDMI Video Range and Color Space. Using the native Amazon and Netflix app. Also, my Xbox One X says the tv is not HDR capable, using the supplied cable and HDMI port 2.
I went into the native Netflix app on my display and was able to adjust the HDR setting.

Regarding your xbox1, what HDMI input are you using? For HDR use inputs 2 or 3 and be sure that the ports are set to Enhanced Mode.

Edit: HDR may not be available if the hdcp 2.2 chain is broken in your configuration. Are you connected to a receiver?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Sony XBR55X900E
Marantz SR7010/Marantz MM7025
Oppo UDP-203 - Nvidia Shield
XBox One X
Klipsch RP-260f - RP-440C - RP140sa- RP-160m - RB10 - Sony SA-WM500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9272 of 18897 Old 12-15-2017, 04:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove93 View Post
I went into the native Netflix app on my display and was able to adjust the HDR setting.

Regarding your xbox1, what HDMI input are you using? For HDR use inputs 2 or 3 and be sure that the ports are set to Enhanced Mode.

Edit: HDR may not be available if the hdcp 2.2 chain is broken in your configuration. Are you connected to a receiver?

Bingo on the Xbox, forgot enhanced had to be turned on. I restarted the tv and now the HDR settings have turned up but now HDR content is a lot brighter? I think I will leave it on. Thanks for the help!
post #9273 of 18897 Old 12-15-2017, 04:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codeman89 View Post
Bingo on the Xbox, forgot enhanced had to be turned on. I restarted the tv and now the HDR settings have turned up but now HDR content is a lot brighter? I think I will leave it on. Thanks for the help!
Is HDR turned off on the TV?

I don't have an Xbox One X so I don't know how it handles HDR.

Sony XBR55X900E
XBox One X
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9274 of 18897 Old 12-15-2017, 04:28 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Xbox HDR is working now since I turned enhanced on. Also, the native apps have the ability to toggle HDR now after I rebooted the display. Everything seems to be working fine. I traded in an 850e on this unit and so far I am glad I did, it is much brighter.
groove93 likes this.
post #9275 of 18897 Old 12-15-2017, 05:42 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Stranger Things in 4k HDR streaming at 15.26 Mbps
Brightness: Max
Auto local dimming: Medium
Xtended Dynamic Range: High
Picture taken from straight on in a completely dark room with a Samsung S8

Very impressed with the x900e so far.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171215_173138.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	2.33 MB
ID:	2331426  
post #9276 of 18897 Old 12-15-2017, 07:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Liked: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airsculpture View Post
Just a quickie, when connecting an optical cable from the TV to the receiver, what sound setting should it be on as at present I’m only getting Stereo from the in TV Netflix app ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone any 'input' on this one ? (Excuse the pun)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sony XBR65X900E, Oppo UDP-203 Universal Player
Front L&R - Polk TSx550t, Centre - Polk CSiA6 all in Cherry
Surrounds & Rears - Mission 77DS & Mission 780s
Subwoofer - Polk PSW125 in Cherry
Receiver - Marantz SR6012
post #9277 of 18897 Old 12-15-2017, 08:09 PM

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post
Is your receiver is a Sony?
i dont think i saw this before.
avr is yamaha
post #9278 of 18897 Old 12-15-2017, 08:34 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by imlerj View Post
That's about how mine looks. In my case, the picture I took exaggerates it a bit and it doesn't look as bad in person.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Berry View Post
Does Local Dimming eliminate the clouding? If so, then it’s normal.

Yes the local dimming eliminate the clouding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbets View Post
I have returned two that were much worse than that. Even my third one is worse than that, but I’ve decided to live with it (and was given a generous partial refund) although I may still reach out directly to Sony. If I were you, I'd keep that one.
Local dimming help little. Too much blooming on corner and It makes john wick unwatchable. Most likely I'm going to exchange on Sunday

setting for all 4 pictures

Brightness: max
local dimming: high
XDR: high
Clearness: Min
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171215_194903.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	855.0 KB
ID:	2331464   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171215_194859.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	680.6 KB
ID:	2331466   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171215_194838.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	675.9 KB
ID:	2331468   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171215_192234.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	2331470  
post #9279 of 18897 Old 12-15-2017, 11:49 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd12586 View Post
Local dimming help little. Too much blooming on corner and It makes john wick unwatchable. Most likely I'm going to exchange on Sunday

That’s normal, I’m afraid. Especially on Max Brightness with LD on High. Blooming is common on FALD displays. Even more so on those with as few dimming zones as the 900E.

An exchange may not improve your picture. You might end up with a worse set. Blooming on the 900E is terrible. Try keeping LD to Low or Medium. That will help with the Blooming. But any HDR content with Max brightness on a dark background with the odd light source illuminating the picture will give you issues.

post #9280 of 18897 Old 12-16-2017, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd12586 View Post

That amount of blooming is normal with FALD panels, like what was said if you return it you might end up with one that has a worse problem, no TV is perfect. If you're watching movies in the dark in HDR looking for occasional blooming issues, you're gonna find little problems each time. Accept that all FALD displays will have some blooming and you'll suddenly start really enjoying your tv instead of despising it for the little flaws that every tv will have.
post #9281 of 18897 Old 12-16-2017, 01:47 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
That’s normal, I’m afraid. Especially on Max Brightness with LD on High. Blooming is common on FALD displays. Even more so on those with as few dimming zones as the 900E.

An exchange may not improve your picture. You might end up with a worse set. Blooming on the 900E is terrible. Try keeping LD to Low or Medium. That will help with the Blooming. But any HDR content with Max brightness on a dark background with the odd light source illuminating the picture will give you issues.

Well... I was about to box the tv up to go exchange it this afternoon. You are making me think again. I have blooming as well, especially on that stranger things S2 scene, and the upper left corner seems brighter than the rest at all time. While playing the scene I can also see the different zone brighten or dim with the movement. Is that normal behaving ? I also have a dead pixel which stays black. Would thay be worth an exchange in your opinion ? When I see pics from other members here, it seems their set is much better in term of blooming and flickering.

Should I do some more testing before going for an exchange. Its really quite hard to tell what is normal, and what is defective. On this pic you can really see the upper left corner is brighter, and the image is symetrical from left to right.
Here are a few pics of my set :

Thank you very mich for your help.
post #9282 of 18897 Old 12-16-2017, 03:27 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Can't remember but have you tried turning brightness down to 15 or so? I've noticed that even being slightly off angle you will see more blooming than looking at the TV straight on. I sit slightly off angle and from where I sit the black bars on movies are more gray than black ans show blooming when something bright is near the letterbox borders. When I look at the TV straight on the black bars are much darker and the blooming is not as bad. I knew when I read reviews for this tv that the viewing angle was limited but I didn't think it would hurt dark areas that much. I don't notice this in the actual picture though so I am happy with the sony, just have to get used to its own peculiar ways.
RUBEN PORTILLO likes this.

Sony 55X900E, Sony STR-DE635, Sony PS3, Samsung UBD-M7500
Samsung LN46D630
post #9283 of 18897 Old 12-16-2017, 03:31 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtpossum View Post
Can't remember but have you tried turning brightness down to 15 or so? I've noticed that even being slightly off angle you will see more blooming than looking at the TV straight on. I sit slightly off angle and from where I sit the black bars on movies are more gray than black ans show blooming when something bright is near the letterbox borders. When I look at the TV straight on the black bars are much darker and the blooming is not as bad. I knew when I read reviews for this tv that the viewing angle was limited but I didn't think it would hurt dark areas that much. I don't notice this in the actual picture though so I am happy with the sony, just have to get used to its own peculiar ways.
Yes but in HDR isn't the brightness supposed to be at max ? Yes if lower the brightness to 15 then the black bars are acceptable, but I also lose some brightness for HDR.
post #9284 of 18897 Old 12-16-2017, 03:48 AM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by blusmaug View Post
Well... I was about to box the tv up to go exchange it this afternoon. You are making me think again. I have blooming as well, especially on that stranger things S2 scene, and the upper left corner seems brighter than the rest at all time. While playing the scene I can also see the different zone brighten or dim with the movement. Is that normal behaving ? I also have a dead pixel which stays black. Would thay be worth an exchange in your opinion ? When I see pics from other members here, it seems their set is much better in term of blooming and flickering.

Should I do some more testing before going for an exchange. Its really quite hard to tell what is normal, and what is defective. On this pic you can really see the upper left corner is brighter, and the image is symetrical from left to right.

My TV is similar to yours....I am also stuck on whether I should exchange or not....but I have a feeling they are all going to be like that...just the nature of this tv.

But then there are videos like this that have no blooming and makes me doubt it all over again.....

post #9285 of 18897 Old 12-16-2017, 04:28 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Ok help me out here.

I had problems before with arc and eventually my avr broke down.

Now i have a new avr and i have sound again but switching to the right input isn't working great on two avr:s so is it the tv to blame the cable?

Both Yamaha and Onkyo do the same thing

When it doesn't work i change to tv speaker and then i turn off bravia sync and turn it on and now it works, it changing to the right input and then it stops working (haven't tried how long it works)
post #9286 of 18897 Old 12-16-2017, 05:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnojham View Post
cable box to tv is the least amount of variables and i get the lag, thats the point of that. just eliminating the possibility the lag is coming from someplace else. i dont want to say im getting lag using my avr and then somebody suggests i try it just from cable box to tv to see if its still there.
im using arc now, so i am in fact using the avr speakers.
i can try to run cable to avr to tv, but i mean, is that going to fix anything? and if it does, then what happens when i want to watch something streaming? im still going to have the lag, right?

you dont have the lag at all or you dont have lag because youre using optical (had you ever checked before using optical??)
Personally, I've found the HDMI "ARC" to be Buggy on my Samsung's similar to what occurs on a Network with data collisions where the data pack management stops working and the network needs a hard boot to correct the dataflow (very common). Consumer Tech World would have the public believe standards are pure and free of data collision hiccups but that's pure BS. Sometimes, simplification of what an Optical does is the best choice. Pretty good explanation of HDMI ARC issues here:

https://www.cnet.com/news/what-is-au...n-channel-arc/

Samsung 75HU8550w/SEK-3500-UHDVideoPk, 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Philips Folio Soundbar
XBoxOne/360, FPS's Borderlands 1/2, EDF 2017/2025, Halo's
post #9287 of 18897 Old 12-16-2017, 05:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
If it's that, then we should wait as much as possible before exchanging it ?
If your not satisfied I would suggest returning now. My statement is NOT fact, just a guess or for a better word, “hope”. I want the 65” but the edge bleed and light bleed is making me think otherwise. I may just go to OLED. Rather deal with that stuff than LED issues which are considered common or within spec.
post #9288 of 18897 Old 12-16-2017, 05:33 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 172
2017 Sony XBR 900E owners thread (No Price Talk)

Quote:

That scene in Stranger Things is notorious for Blooming. The pure black background is the cause. Usually, you are presented with more textures and objects in a scene to even out the light distribution. So I wouldn’t judge the display based on that.

Even the campfire scene in Wonder Woman. Lots of blooming. All normal for a TV with Local Dimming.

I actually know of people who simply won’t watch HDR content unless it’s bright and colorful. For movies that are predominantly darker, they’ll play it back in SDR, where Brightness doesn’t matter so they can set it to their preference.

I wouldn’t exchange it for that. The dead pixel however, that’s something else entirely. Can you see it from normal seating distance and is it in a place that affects you? If not, then leave it.

The problem with dead pixels, is you can’t unsee them. So it will always play on your mind. So see how it goes until your return window draws near. Then decide.

groove93 and Madmax67 like this.
post #9289 of 18897 Old 12-16-2017, 05:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Are most people using things like Apple TV or Xbox to stream and still getting these issues with bloom and bleed or is it just the TV apps
post #9290 of 18897 Old 12-16-2017, 06:19 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by turts85 View Post
Are most people using things like Apple TV or Xbox to stream and still getting these issues with bloom and bleed or is it just the TV apps
I want to know this as well. Starting to look into either Apple TV, FireTv, or Roku.
post #9291 of 18897 Old 12-16-2017, 06:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by marv117 View Post
I want to know this as well. Starting to look into either Apple TV, FireTv, or Roku.
Same here. I am a little upset that the sony does not play 4k from the vudu native tv app or from the ps4 pro. Only Netflix from the ps4 pro plays 4k. It is one of the reasons I do not really watch much tv on the x900e but instead watch it on my vizio p65-e1 because all the native apps I watch support 4k hdr10 and dolby vision and even dolby atmos for sound. I do wish the Vizio got as bright as the Sony but the difference isn't that big of a deal to me
post #9292 of 18897 Old 12-16-2017, 07:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I may get another FALD Vizio P series since the FALD is superior plus features are extensive for it...plus 65” will be cheaper. Not that I want too but I’ll take less upscaling and less brightness of the Vizio vs the terrible issues of this poor mans FALD x900e
leojj25 likes this.
post #9293 of 18897 Old 12-16-2017, 07:45 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by turts85 View Post
I may get another FALD Vizio P series since the FALD is superior plus features are extensive for it...plus 65” will be cheaper. Not that I want too but I’ll take less upscaling and less brightness of the Vizio vs the terrible issues of this poor mans FALD x900e
I'm intrigued...I still have time to return/exchange.
leojj25 likes this.
post #9294 of 18897 Old 12-16-2017, 07:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That scene in Stranger Things is notorious for Blooming. The pure black background is the cause. Usually, you are presented with more textures and objects in a scene to even out the light distribution. So I wouldn’t judge the display based on that.

Even the campfire scene in Wonder Woman. Lots of blooming. All normal for a TV with Local Dimming.

I actually know of people who simply won’t watch HDR content unless it’s bright and colorful. For movies that are predominantly darker, they’ll play it back in SDR, where Brightness doesn’t matter so they can set it to their preference.

I wouldn’t exchange it for that. The dead pixel however, that’s something else entirely. Can you see it from normal seating distance and is it in a place that affects you? If not, then leave it.

The problem with dead pixels, is you can’t unsee them. So it will always play on your mind. So see how it goes until your return window draws near. Then decide.

Im leaning towards "not understanding the tech" when it comes to all these exchanges. While there are legit reason for an exchange, due to dead pixels, uniformity, etc.

I also believe that all the constant requests for someone's screen settings, without taking into account environmental variables which may be counter-productive to the overall image, has played a large role in this "issue" as well.

I've been lurking around in the 930 and 940 threads and have found similar conversations.

Again, these are not Oleds.

Sony XBR55X900E
XBox One X
post #9295 of 18897 Old 12-16-2017, 08:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 202
That is the reason why I bought the Vizio in the first place. A few months ago there was a sale on the 17 Vizio p series and compared to the Sony it was to good to pass up. The sony does upscale a little better for lower content but if all you watch is uhd then it doesn't matter. Plus the upscale and brightness is good enough for me plus the vizio supports dolby vision too. I would get the 65" though as the 55" Vizio is an ips panel and the 65' is va. Both good tvs in their own right I am lucky to have both lol

Vizio P65-E1 // Sony XBR49X900E
Sony Ht-ST5000 // RCA RTS7015B
Chromcast Ultra // Apple TV 4K
PS4 PRO
post #9296 of 18897 Old 12-16-2017, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove93 View Post
Im leaning towards "not understanding the tech" when it comes to all these exchanges. While there are legit reason for an exchange, due to dead pixels, uniformity, etc.

I also believe that all the constant requests for someone's screen settings, without taking into account environmental variables which may be counter-productive to the overall image, has played a large role in this "issue" as well.

I've been lurking around in the 930 and 940 threads and have found similar conversations.

Again, these are not Oleds.

It's like someone buying a BMW and bringing it back to the dealership for replacement 3 times because it doesn't have the performance of a Ferrari they test drove. Well guess what, you bought a mid tier FALD panel with 40 or so dimming zones, not a $4k OLED. You're going to have some blooming happen sometimes, some slight edge bleed, and uniformity issues. If these things will always float around in your OCD head then spend more money for an OLED, because no matter how many X900E you return, you'll never be happy with it if you can't accept it has some slight flaws.

I feel bad for all these guys who had a nice panel to start with but got too picky and all the replacements were worse, that's rough. If it ain't broke don't fix it.
post #9297 of 18897 Old 12-16-2017, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leojj25 View Post
That is the reason why I bought the Vizio in the first place. A few months ago there was a sale on the 17 Vizio p series and compared to the Sony it was to good to pass up. The sony does upscale a little better for lower content but if all you watch is uhd then it doesn't matter. Plus the upscale and brightness is good enough for me plus the vizio supports dolby vision too. I would get the 65" though as the 55" Vizio is an ips panel and the 65' is va. Both good tvs in their own right I am lucky to have both lol
im just going to stop obsessing over dark scene blooming issues in a dark room and start enjoying this TV. Not everything is a 'defect' it is just limitations of the tech. Go for OLED if blacks and blooming is your main concern. This TV offers best bang for buck and thats the main reason ill stick to it till OLEDs improve in the future
shyguy3763, Mac128, Furyus and 2 others like this.
post #9298 of 18897 Old 12-16-2017, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teahouser View Post
It's like someone buying a BMW and bringing it back to the dealership for replacement 3 times because it doesn't have the performance of a Ferrari they test drove. Well guess what, you bought a mid tier FALD panel with 40 or so dimming zones, not a $4k OLED. You're going to have some blooming happen sometimes, some slight edge bleed, and uniformity issues. If these things will always float around in your OCD head then spend more money for an OLED, because no matter how many X900E you return, you'll never be happy with it if you can't accept it has some slight flaws.

I feel bad for all these guys who had a nice panel to start with but got too picky and all the replacements were worse, that's rough. If it ain't broke don't fix it.
You are on point.
post #9299 of 18897 Old 12-16-2017, 08:53 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airsculpture View Post
Anyone any 'input' on this one ? (Excuse the pun)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Try using auto 1 or 2. Netflix is the only app I can get 5.1 . All other apps are stereo. Strange you're getting stereo on the one app I get 5.1. Other people have the same issue and some say they get 5.1 using ARC, so anything is possible I guess. Very annoying.
post #9300 of 18897 Old 12-16-2017, 09:01 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6308 Post(s)
Liked: 6310
Quote:
Originally Posted by lebo2323 View Post
You are on point.
That is harsh, but it is the truth........ Sometimes you expect to much out of the technology you bought. No matter what, no matter how much you spend, you look and search for flaws you will find them I promise.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
issues , motion , motionflow , problems , Sony , sound delay , x900e

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page