2017 Sony XBR 900E owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 317 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 40346Likes

Old 12-18-2017, 10:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airsculpture View Post
It doesn't say owners only, it says owners, so owners can discuss and give advise to potential owners , just saying.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Interesting take but isn't that what the 'Help me choose an LCD' thread is for?
Maybe you are right but it's strange to make a point about owners and then let everyone post anyway.
sheshechic likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2017, 10:37 PM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post
Try them all, return all but the one you like. The more speakers, generally, the more immersive the sound field. Make sure you're happy with the center channel. That's where the majority of dialog comes from.
[Facepalm]
I have to say watching Star Trek: Into Darkness for the first time in UHD with the CT800+ZR5's, OMG was that immersive!
I have never seen bitrates like that before either!
Airsculpture likes this.
Old 12-19-2017, 05:21 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Hey folks!

New 49X900E owner, and I'm here to report that (so far...it's only been 1 night) I'm thrilled with this set.

I'm coming from a 1-year-old 49X800D, which is fantastic for things as long as they don't have dark scenes. My wife and I were watching Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales in 4K on Sunday night, and the dark scene images were so washed out and muddy that I said enough is enough. I even confirmed that the horrible picture wasn't because of my custom settings, as I got the same muddy crud switching through the set's pre-configured settings.

I had originally wanted the LG B7A OLED, but then saw all the reports of "burn-in" for lack of a better term (off-colored image retention, mainly based on yellow/orange static images) and quickly changed my mind. I am a former Panasonic Plasma owner, and while I absolutely loved the set (it was a 720p set) I didn't quite care for babying it as much as I had to. Back when I owned the Panny, my wife was home on maternity leave and ended up watching a "Charmed" marathon...in 4:3 . The screen was brighter on the left and right side for quite a while (I ended up making a reverse 4:3 image and leaving it on the screen for hours at a time to eventually mitigate the different brightness of the unevenly aged phosphors). And, at least that was "fixable".

While the X900E isn't perfect - slight color/contrast changes at sharper angles - it's fantastically better for dark scene content than the 49X800D. Out of the box and un-calibrated, the X900E looks to have virtually no clouding and a significantly better native contrast (VA on the 900E vs. IPS on the 49" 800D)...the two things that drove me crazy about the 49X800D.

I can't wait to play around some more with this set and really get it dialed in!

Last edited by tornadobox; 12-19-2017 at 05:26 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2017, 05:58 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Funny, my first 4K was a 49x800D as well. Decent tv but flopped on dark scenes for sure. 49” is in a spare room and not used too much. 3 days ago I picked up a 55” 900e for the bedroom and love it. Almost went with the B7 but decided I didn’t really want to spend another 500 for a bedroom tv.

For the latest price the 900e is a sure pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by tornadobox View Post
Hey folks!

New 49X900E owner, and I'm here to report that (so far...it's only been 1 night) I'm thrilled with this set.

I'm coming from a 1-year-old 49X800D, which is fantastic for things as long as they don't have dark scenes. My wife and I were watching Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales in 4K on Sunday night, and the dark scene images were so washed out and muddy that I said enough is enough. I even confirmed that the horrible picture wasn't because of my custom settings, as I got the same muddy crud switching through the set's pre-configured settings.

I had originally wanted the LG B7A OLED, but then saw all the reports of "burn-in" for lack of a better term (off-colored image retention, mainly based on yellow/orange static images) and quickly changed my mind. I am a former Panasonic Plasma owner, and while I absolutely loved the set (it was a 720p set) I didn't quite care for babying it as much as I had to. Back when I owned the Panny, my wife was home on maternity leave and ended up watching a "Charmed" marathon...in 4:3 . The screen was brighter on the left and right side for quite a while (I ended up making a reverse 4:3 image and leaving it on the screen for hours at a time to eventually mitigate the different brightness of the unevenly aged phosphors). And, at least that was "fixable".

While the X900E isn't perfect - slight color/contrast changes at sharper angles - it's fantastically better for dark scene content than the 49X800D. Out of the box and un-calibrated, the X900E looks to have virtually no clouding and a significantly better native contrast (VA on the 900E vs. IPS on the 49" 800D)...the two things that drove me crazy about the 49X800D.

I can't wait to play around some more with this set and really get it dialed in!
tornadobox likes this.
Old 12-19-2017, 06:16 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove93 View Post
Chiraq on Amazon Instant is HDR. Played on both the Shield and Native App on the TV in HDR.
Amazon Instant? Tried again using TV app. Chi-Raq was not identified as HDR and did not show HDR logo. Was only looking at movies that come with Prime subscription. Is there another version somewhere?

And the search was useless. Every movie returned by searching "HDR" did not include HDR indicator. Selecting "hdr prime movies" or "4k hdr movies on amazon prime" only returns 4 results none of which showed HDR indicator (found the same results online by searching in Amazon Video). Only place I could find HDR movies was in the 4K category on the home screen of the app. And then only by selecting each to look for HDR identifier. Crown Heights is HDR.

Sony XBR65X900E
Denon AVR-X4400H
B&W 683 front, CC6 S2 center, DM601 S2 surround, DM603 rear, ASW1000 powered sub woofer, 4 X SP-T22A-LR Dolby Atmos
NVIDIA Shield | XBox One S | Plex | HDHomeRun | Nintendo Wii | Xbox 360 | Popcorn A400
Old 12-19-2017, 06:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 953 Post(s)
Liked: 539
And to think that for all these years I did not know The Joker had a Purple suit on at the beginning of "The Dark Knight". With my display calibrated for 24p using Cinema Home, I noticed this last night. The reds and blues of the masks really pop now.
bradman and sheshechic like this.

Sony XBR55X900E
Marantz SR7010/Marantz MM7025
Oppo UDP-203 - Nvidia Shield
XBox One X
Klipsch RP-260f - RP-440C - RP140sa- RP-160m - RB10 - Sony SA-WM500
Old 12-19-2017, 06:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by megabitee View Post
Amazon Instant? Tried again using TV app. Chi-Raq was not identified as HDR and did not show HDR logo. Was only looking at movies that come with Prime subscription. Is there another version somewhere?

And the search was useless. Every movie returned by searching "HDR" did not include HDR indicator. Selecting "hdr prime movies" or "4k hdr movies on amazon prime" only returns 4 results none of which showed HDR indicator (found the same results online by searching in Amazon Video). Only place I could find HDR movies was in the 4K category on the home screen of the app. And then only by selecting each to look for HDR identifier. Crown Heights is HDR.
I'll check again, but at one time Chiraq was the only title in HDR found on Amazon Instant. I haven't watached the movie since the summer.

Sony XBR55X900E
XBox One X
Old 12-19-2017, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Specs for the Sony 900E:

USB Drive Format: FAT16/FAT32/exFAT/NTFS

USB Playback Codecs:

MPEG1:MPEG1/MPEG2PS:MPEG2/MPEG2TS(HDV,AVCHD):MPEG2,AVC/MP4(XAVC S):AVC,MPEG4,HEVC/AVI:Xvid,MotionJpeg/ASF(WMV):VC1/MOV:AVC,MPEG4,MotionJpeg/MKV:Xvid,AVC,MPEG4,VP8.HEVC/WEBM:VP8/3GPP:MPEG4,AVC/MP3/ASF(WMA)/WAV/MP4AAC/FLAC/JPEG
Last night, tried using Archos to play "Deadpool 2016 DTSHDMA 7.1 2160p UltraHD BluRay BT2020 HDR x265" from network storage. Seemed fine at first but then the audio started to stutter. Never got better. Checked network stats, pulling 7-8 MBs. Audio was set to pass-through and receiver was playing DTS. Do not currently have external drive, that would be another test to try.

Have others gotten similar to work? Does x265 require too much processing? Maybe recode into something more palatable? Is that even possible or usable? File is 50Gb - afraid of how big it could get - will not keep it around when the experiment is done.

Am I pushing the processor too hard? Are there other apps taking up time? Are there ways to configure processing?

Sony XBR65X900E
Denon AVR-X4400H
B&W 683 front, CC6 S2 center, DM601 S2 surround, DM603 rear, ASW1000 powered sub woofer, 4 X SP-T22A-LR Dolby Atmos
NVIDIA Shield | XBox One S | Plex | HDHomeRun | Nintendo Wii | Xbox 360 | Popcorn A400
Old 12-19-2017, 06:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by megabitee View Post
Last night, tried using Archos to play "Deadpool 2016 DTSHDMA 7.1 2160p UltraHD BluRay BT2020 HDR x265" from network storage. Seemed fine at first but then the audio started to stutter. Never got better. Checked network stats, pulling 7-8 MBs. Audio was set to pass-through and receiver was playing DTS. Do not currently have external drive, that would be another test to try.

Have others gotten similar to work? Does x265 require too much processing? Maybe recode into something more palatable? Is that even possible or usable? File is 50Gb - afraid of how big it could get - will not keep it around when the experiment is done.

Am I pushing the processor too hard? Are there other apps taking up time? Are there ways to configure processing?
I know some HEVC 10-bit files can be taxing on ARM Processors. This is the case with my Nvidia Shield. My Oppo 203 just laughs at them and plays them with no issues.

For 1:1 Blu Ray Rips, I can stream them from my NAS to my Shield, Oppo, or TV. My devices connect to my NAS via 5ghz AC wireless. The Shield and Oppo play these files with ease, lossless audio and all, but the TV will struggle at times, especially if I'm using Plex, where transcoding is involved because of the displays inability to playback lossless audio files. Through VLC or Kodi, I get a better stream, but again, missing lossless audio, and it will studder from time to time.

I have Christmas vacation coming up so I will spend some time ripping the few UHD titles I own that have been decrypted, and see how they perform on my network.

Sony XBR55X900E
XBox One X
Old 12-19-2017, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove93 View Post
I know some HEVC 10-bit files can be taxing on ARM Processors. This is the case with my Nvidia Shield. My Oppo 203 just laughs at them and plays them with no issues.

For 1:1 Blu Ray Rips, I can stream them from my NAS to my Shield, Oppo, or TV. My devices connect to my NAS via 5ghz AC wireless. The Shield and Oppo play these files with ease, lossless audio and all, but the TV will struggle at times, especially if I'm using Plex, where transcoding is involved because of the displays inability to playback lossless audio files. Through VLC or Kodi, I get a better stream, but again, missing lossless audio, and it will studder from time to time.

I have Christmas vacation coming up so I will spend some time ripping the few UHD titles I own that have been decrypted, and see how they perform on my network.
I hear ya, Shield or Oppo is probably on -next- year's Christmas list...so many toys, so little time...

FWIW, everything is wired. Switches and router are all gigabit. Do not have an external drive at the moment but it probably would not make any difference.

I'm pretty picky about his stuff. Would rather watch up-scaled video than 4K with audio stutter. Just trying to figure out what works and what doesn't.

Sony XBR65X900E
Denon AVR-X4400H
Old 12-19-2017, 07:13 AM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 25
does anyone know if the x900e will get HDR10+ support?
eddysnake and iphilologos like this.
Old 12-19-2017, 07:16 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnojham View Post
i dont want to get into a 'what settings are you using' thing, but just out of curiosity, are most of you keeping the brightness up at max or near it? seems if i get too far away from max, it gets too dark too fast. seems weird. i dont mean too dark to see, but just too dark to look good. thanks
Quote:
I think from memory mine is set at 20
Same here, 15 ~ 20; and sometimes 'Cinema Home' mode which defaults to 35.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post
15- 30 unless I'm watching HDR. I have a bright room too.
Agree, seems like good range for night to daytime w/bright room.

Quote:
yikes maybe im just old or something
Welcome to the club
sheshechic likes this.
Old 12-19-2017, 07:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
i dont want to get into a 'what settings are you using' thing, but just out of curiosity, are most of you keeping the brightness up at max or near it? seems if i get too far away from max, it gets too dark too fast. seems weird. i dont mean too dark to see, but just too dark to look good.
thanks
11 for me in a pitch black basement.
Old 12-19-2017, 08:05 AM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlukes View Post
I've had my TV speakers off since I got the TV in March and they've never turned themselves back on
Thanks! I think I just misread a few posts and the speakers problem is in much more obscure situations. Should be getting the TV today, I'm very excited.
Old 12-19-2017, 08:40 AM

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
I think from memory mine is set at 20

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post
15- 30 unless I'm watching HDR. I have a bright room too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinMod21 View Post
Same here, 15 ~ 20; and sometimes 'Cinema Home' mode which defaults to 35.

Agree, seems like good range for night to daytime w/bright room.

Welcome to the club
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddysnake View Post
11 for me in a pitch black basement.
thanks again all
im going to have to give it a try lower and see what i think.
being new to the lcd, i dont even know if it matters what i set brightness to as long as i like it, but 2 things:

1. i dont know if having the brightness set to max or close to max would shorten the life of the leds? and if shortened, is it like 20 years to 5 years, or more like 20 years to 19years kinda thing.

2. im a bit ocd and anal and am trying to make sure theres nothing wrong with this thing while im still in the return window. i think i am over the audio sync hurdle thankfully.

i do notice that outside scenes are really good. but when the scenes move indoors, they look too dark, skin tones are wrong, really bad imo. but, to be fair, i dont know what it is supposed to look like if it was perfect. was it just the way they shot the movie or tv show? i dont know

any of you guys want to do an experiment with me? i set my tv up with your settings and check some reference media and compare to what youre seeing.

thanks again for the input
Old 12-19-2017, 09:07 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Judder and what does Samba do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithras1 View Post
It is a genuine bug on the X900E (I skipped readng the remaining pages so may or may not have been answered already):

(see below in the comments

This question on Rtings originated from
But there are more people seeing it in different countries so it's not a faulty set, more likely a matter of noticing it or not. Seems most obvious/to be happening on switching camera shots and most noticeable on Sports (or according to the other forum's topic content that is originally 50fps).
The solution for the time being is to use Game Mode; and seeing as the XE85 doesn't have this bug yet uses the same processor you would think it can be solved with a firmware update.

I have seen this as well, I was not sure what to call it but the description you quoted seems a match. So this is what Judder is! I have only noticed this with my local cable company's "On Demand" service. watching an archived tv show.
I am guessing this would be the '50/59.94Hz ' content described? I have not done the October Sony update and am wondering if that constitutes a cure??

Aside form that I like the TV very much and am only a bit bothered by the O/S response lag. I may try to uninstall some of the Sony Bloat.

I am wondering what apps use the Samba engine, what am I loosing by not having it activated or even present.
Old 12-19-2017, 09:49 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I have the 900e and have a question about upscaling.

Would the Sony UBP X800 have superior 1080p upscaling to the 900e?

What about the Samsung m8500?
Old 12-19-2017, 10:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1775 Post(s)
Liked: 1247
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterBottle View Post

Personally, I believe the Sony 900E does the best job on upscaling with a native source. Try it both ways and see what you like. I find regular Bluray discs to be phenomenal looking when upscaled by the Sony 900E. Incredible details and colors. Better than most 4K/HDR Bluray discs that I've tried and so much so that I've totally stopped renting any 4K/HDR discs and will stick with regular Bluray for all my player viewing. My Samsung K8500 4K/HDR player is now a paperweight in my cabinet.

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, BenQ W1080ST, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)
Old 12-19-2017, 11:15 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:

I have tried both back and forth. So close that I let the default setting of the X800 remain which lets the TV do it ( but only if it’s a Sony, otherwise an LG or a Vizio would get some needed help)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ricoflashback likes this.
Old 12-19-2017, 11:47 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Newer owner of a 65X900e here and I am glad you asked about optimal upscaling by various devices because I've had that same question rolling around in my head!

I have three options for upscaling standard and Blu-ray dvds from both a media server (unRAID) and the original discs, the X900e, a Samsung UBD-KM85c (costco version), and a Marantz AVR 7702 (not HDR, but will do 4K 60hz upscale) and assumed the Samsung would be optimal. Then I watched a video by Vincent Teoh (HDTVtest) who seems like a credible reviewer/tester and he suggested that the X900e should do the upscaling rather than the oppo 203 he uses as a source for testing displays. Before watching that video, I was ready to buy an oppo 203 and return the samsung to costco but have decided to hold off for now. Vincent's suggestion was a bit surprising to me so I started doing some informal eyeball testing (can't do side-by-side, but can switch inputs with the same source material) and have to say that the X900e upscaling, to my eyes, appears to perform as well if not better than the Samsung and the Marantz.

Quote:
Personally, I believe the Sony 900E does the best job on upscaling with a native source. Try it both ways and see what you like. I find regular Bluray discs to be phenomenal looking when upscaled by the Sony 900E. Incredible details and colors. Better than most 4K/HDR Bluray discs that I've tried and so much so that I've totally stopped renting any 4K/HDR discs and will stick with regular Bluray for all my player viewing. My Samsung K8500 4K/HDR player is now a paperweight in my cabinet.
I have to agree with Ricoflashback regarding upscaling Blu-rays discs on the X900e, they look incredible, even when upscaled by my other two sources. So much so that I've been buying more Blu-rays on steep discount rather than the much more expensive 4K discs (of course, the selection of titles is still very limited).

Sunday we had family members over to watch the first installment of The Hobbit extended version blu-ray and I kept hearing comments about how real it looked, etc.

Oh, and regarding an earlier discussion about brightness level, mine is set to 20 for non-HDR sources.

Merry Christmas!

FG
Old 12-19-2017, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Family Guy View Post
I have to agree with Ricoflashback regarding upscaling Blu-rays discs on the X900e, they look incredible, even when upscaled by my other two sources. So much so that I've been buying more Blu-rays on steep discount rather than the much more expensive 4K discs (of course, the selection of titles is still very limited).
The thing is you'll miss out on HDR which is the true real force of these HDR enabled TVs in my opinion. The resolution and details might be amazing when upscaled but you won't get the colors you'd get with HEVC.
Old 12-19-2017, 12:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 909 Post(s)
Liked: 645
OK, still deciding what to do about my Vizio P, but Samsung bought back my wife's lemon KU6300 and opted to get her 55 X900E. Spent a bit of time going through initial settings and tweaks. First impression is WOW what a picture. I have a LGC7 and Vizio P so I can appreciate good PQ. Landed on Cinema Hime since the room has decent ambient light.

Still playing with best combinations of Black adjust, Contrast Enhancer, Local dimming, Motionflow, CineMotion as they have so many opions.

So first thing is this this TV is very under powered, laggy as hell at times. Also the WiFi is weak and as I have found with all TVs the built in WiFi usually is marginal. I may need to run a Cat 5 or set up a bridge.

The damn Sony built in Featured apps is annoying, seems like I can either hide them all or deal with the clutter. I may wind up just using old Roku or hoping a new Shield is announce and pass down mine to her Sony.

I see a bit of judder I am struggling to get rid of with Kodi loaded on TV, but think I will try my Shield to verify.

I have seen debates about Sony vs. Vizio P and others on whether higher clipped brightness vs. tone mapped lower brightness is better. I can tell you at first glance I prefer lowere level tone mapped as when I see clipped brights on this Sony it is distracting as the lost detail just looks like a wash out.

Overall impressed, but still debating whether to try another Vizio P in the exercise room or go Sony, tough call. Once I have more time to play with settings I will update my feedback. The depth and richness of the colors are truly amazing.

LG 65C7P (Also XBR65X900E and XBR55X900E)
Denon x7200WA
Oppo BD-203
Klipsch RP-280F / RC-62ii / RP-140SA / RS-35 / RS-25
Dual PSA V1800s
Old 12-19-2017, 12:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Family Guy View Post

Sunday we had family members over to watch the first installment of The Hobbit extended version blu-ray and I kept hearing comments about how real it looked, etc.

FG
This!!!

I played a couple of minutes of "The Battle of the Five Armies" Blu Ray Rip using my Oppo 203 and the image quality was incredible.

I spent 2 years updating the audio portion of my system. First with a pair of Klipsch RP260 Mains from an older set of Infinity Speakers. This upgrade reinvigorated my passion for music. Late 2016 I updated to a Marantz SR7010 with a MM2025 2-Channel Amp, from a Pioneer 1020K Receiver and I was simply in awe of the audio upgrade.

Now with this TV, and the Oppo 203 calibrated to my liking, films like the Hobbit, and a few others where I would just watch once a year, changed my mind.

I never picked up the Lord of the Rings Trilogy on Blu Ray, I just have the extended editions on DVD. Now I may just perform the upgrade or wait until a possible UHD Release of these films. I much prefer these films over the Hobbit trilogy.
Family Guy and sheshechic like this.

Sony XBR55X900E
XBox One X
Old 12-19-2017, 12:36 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyBaldy View Post
The thing is you'll miss out on HDR which is the true real force of these HDR enabled TVs in my opinion. The resolution and details might be amazing when upscaled but you won't get the colors you'd get with HEVC.
I agree with you. The 4K discs we have are amazing and I am only buying Blu-rays (cheap, <$10) to replace standard def dvds for now because the upscaled picture is of excellent quality, even if it's not HDR. When the 4K disc selection is much larger, I'll buy more of them and hopefully by then prices will have decreased a bit, but it may take a year for that to happen, I suppose. In the meantime, plenty of cheap Blu-rays available to enjoy!

FG
WillyBaldy likes this.
Old 12-19-2017, 12:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by iphilologos View Post
The P series dims to reduce bloom which will affect your highlights. Vizios typically do not upscale well. They also exhibit judder with cinema over 60i/p. If you are feeding their P a steady diet of 4K, then and only then does the gap begin to close.

Why buy 4k if your going to be watching 480p? Just sayin...

This brightness phase is killing me. Since when did we go from "reference" PQ to "i need nits that burn my brain cells out of my ears" I never looked at my Pioneer Kuro 5020 and said wow look at that brightness...nope I said wow look at that amazing picture. I am a plasma guy so OLED or dimmer sets do not bother. Its quality that bothers me. Anyway we are less than 2 months from CES. Yay!!
Old 12-19-2017, 12:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
Try them all, return all but the one you like. The more speakers, generally, the more immersive the sound field. Make sure you're happy with the center channel. That's where the majority of dialog comes from.
Get a pair of Chance A1.4s. And if you really want to be wowed..get a pair of Chance A2.4's. The A2.4s are multi-use meaning you can buy 3 of then and use them as LRC or buy two and use them as a 2.0 set up, just have to rotate the tweeter if standing them up which directions come with the speakers as well.

Don't buy a soundbar...I was one of those people then experienced a proper 2.0 set. Yamaha A660 paired with 2 Ascend 170s, not a very forgiving speaker but man is it miles better than a soundbar. Believe or not, the 2.0 set up cost me less than the soundbars.
Old 12-19-2017, 01:09 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyBaldy View Post
Not necessarily, there are bad versions of 4k HDR out there right now where the bluray version is better. I bought the Bourne 4k collection, guardians 2, john wick, and the revenant at BB during black friday to go with my new setup plus they were cheap ($15 or less a piece). The first 3 Bourne films are not as good in 4k HDR as the regular bluray is, especially the Bourne Identity. The Bluray version has good color and decent blacks but the 4k version is really washed out. The next two in the series are a little better but the bluray version is just as good. Just because it is 4k HDR does not mean it is a quality 4k HDR re-master.
BruZZi and sheshechic like this.

Sony 55X900E, Sony STR-DE635, Sony PS3, Samsung UBD-M7500
Samsung LN46D630
Old 12-19-2017, 01:14 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by turts85 View Post
Why buy 4k if your going to be watching 480p? Just sayin...

This brightness phase is killing me. Since when did we go from "reference" PQ to "i need nits that burn my brain cells out of my ears" I never looked at my Pioneer Kuro 5020 and said wow look at that brightness...nope I said wow look at that amazing picture. I am a plasma guy so OLED or dimmer sets do not bother. Its quality that bothers me. Anyway we are less than 2 months from CES. Yay!!

Re: Upscaling

The vast majority of current content is not 4K. Broadcast is typically 720p or 1080i (sometimes p). Most streaming is 1080p. Samsung and Sony typically do a good job and the X900E is an excellent example of that.

Re: CES. I am excited as well!

Old 12-19-2017, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtpossum View Post
Not necessarily, there are bad versions of 4k HDR out there right now where the bluray version is better. I bought the Bourne 4k collection, guardians 2, john wick, and the revenant at BB during black friday to go with my new setup plus they were cheap ($15 or less a piece). The first 3 Bourne films are not as good in 4k HDR as the regular bluray is, especially the Bourne Identity. The Bluray version has good color and decent blacks but the 4k version is really washed out. The next two in the series are a little better but the bluray version is just as good. Just because it is 4k HDR does not mean it is a quality 4k HDR re-master.
I'm not talking about these cheap "remastered" movies but stuff like Planet Earth 2, which is definitely HDR and will blow your mind in HDR, or a few other newer movies that have real HDR10 or DV.
Old 12-19-2017, 01:21 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Doesn't the HDMI 2.0 standard provide for ethernet transmission. Can the XBR 900e function that way? Can it receive streaming information through the HDMI?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
issues , motion , motionflow , problems , Sony , sound delay , x900e