2017 Sony XBR 900E owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 318 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 40346Likes

post #9511 of 19002 Old 12-19-2017, 02:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnojham View Post
when you say this tv, you mean my tv in particular, or all x900e?
so what was your solution?
2 wire appliances are by nature not Grounded, that is what the 3rd wire does.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9512 of 19002 Old 12-19-2017, 02:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1776 Post(s)
Liked: 1247
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyBaldy View Post
The thing is you'll miss out on HDR which is the true real force of these HDR enabled TVs in my opinion. The resolution and details might be amazing when upscaled but you won't get the colors you'd get with HEVC.
Let's clarify a couple of things. HEVC or High Efficiency Video Coding (H.265 versus H.264) is twice as efficient as the earlier version - H.264. The other popular alternative for streaming is VP9 (open source) which is a favorite of YouTube.

LINK to article: http://4k.com/in-case-you-were-wonde...d-hevc-983046/

H.265 is the compression codec that’s actually being used to compress some of the best and most popular studio-grade 4K-HDR streaming media. This means that 4K episodes of shows like Breaking Bad, Marco Polo, House of Cards and Amazon’s newest 4K series are compressed via HEVC, not VP9.

The real question to me is what and where do I find the best picture quality? And at what price? Without a doubt, the YouTube 4K/HDR demos that I've seen have the best PQ, period, compared to anything I've watched on my Sony 900E. But alas, I have not seen any 4K/HDR movie that has been close to this experience.

And Netflix is the best source for streaming 4K/HDR, IMHO. Where I have a problem is with "fake" 4K/HDR from 2K sources that are being passed off as 4K/HDR.

Back to the original comment - - I find regular Blurays (which have more info than streaming content) are upscaled beautifully by the Sony 900E and are equal or better than the 4K/HDR discs that I have rented for the past three months. Maybe it's my player or settings or both - - but I've just been underwhelmed with 4K/HDR Blurays.

My cheapo Bluray source is Redbox (another freebie yesterday) and standard Bluray. Even though it is not 4K or HDR - - I still find the regular Blurays look better and are much cheaper than the 4K/HDR Bluray discs I have rented in the past. Many of them have Dolby Atmos soundtracks, so I'm a happy camper there.

For my 4K/HDR "fix" - I look to Netflix and occasional Amazon Prime content.
iphilologos likes this.

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, BenQ W1080ST, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)
post #9513 of 19002 Old 12-19-2017, 02:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 953 Post(s)
Liked: 539
Quote:
I'm not talking about these cheap "remastered" movies but stuff like Planet Earth 2, which is definitely HDR and will blow your mind in HDR, or a few other newer movies that have real HDR10 or DV.
Not all that glitters is gold..

Sony XBR55X900E
Marantz SR7010/Marantz MM7025
Oppo UDP-203 - Nvidia Shield
XBox One X
Klipsch RP-260f - RP-440C - RP140sa- RP-160m - RB10 - Sony SA-WM500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9514 of 19002 Old 12-19-2017, 03:28 PM

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavytoo View Post
2 wire appliances are by nature not Grounded, that is what the 3rd wire does.
right, thanks. i didnt even notice if this tv had a 2 or 3 prong plug.
thanks again
post #9515 of 19002 Old 12-19-2017, 04:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinMod21 View Post
We have an August 2017, 'Made in Mexico', that seems almost annoyingly slow at startup, but then fast whilst switching channels and also fast whilst navigating the Android TV smart features etc. So I wish it was faster at startup, but it has been explained to me that our startup is probably slower due to our DirecTV C61 running [via HDMI] to/thru our soundbar, where it apparently insists on "handshaking" with everyone, before continuing on [via HDMI ARC] to final destination of tv.
Quote:
Originally Posted by marv117 View Post
Mine has "Nov, 2017", "Made in Mexico". Seems to be navigating through Menus just fine.
My issue is with the menus and Android OS, I already tried a reset. The Best Buy where I bought it went out of stock then back in stock so hopefully they have newer ones now. The back light bleed on this set seems minimal. I suppose I will buy another one to test, then return the older one as long as it doesn't have any other issues.

Last edited by snorge; 12-19-2017 at 04:14 PM.
post #9516 of 19002 Old 12-19-2017, 04:10 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 0
So... long time reader, first time poster. I’m about to take possession of a shiny new XBR75x900e, and I can’t wait... problem is, I’m matching this with a Yamaha sound bar (sorry @turts85 — I loves me some good speakers, but the lady in my house can’t stand having them all around the room). Specifically, the Yamaha YSP-5600, which is a big ol’ honkin’ beast of a set of speakers. So here’s my question: Does anyone have a good recommendation for a stand?
post #9517 of 19002 Old 12-19-2017, 04:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 727 Post(s)
Liked: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by lebo2323 View Post
does anyone know if the x900e will get HDR10+ support?
As of now Samsung and Panasonic are the only brands supporting the format. CES 2018 will certainly be interesting to see the format wars really take off.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
post #9518 of 19002 Old 12-19-2017, 05:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by TragerJonnes View Post
So... long time reader, first time poster. I’m about to take possession of a shiny new XBR75x900e, and I can’t wait... problem is, I’m matching this with a Yamaha sound bar (sorry @turts85 — I loves me some good speakers, but the lady in my house can’t stand having them all around the room). Specifically, the Yamaha YSP-5600, which is a big ol’ honkin’ beast of a set of speakers. So here’s my question: Does anyone have a good recommendation for a stand?
Can’t speak to a stand, but I coupled mine with a Samsung kw-950 ATMOS soundbar. Also put an Xbox One S in the mix for some superb sounds. Amazon is the place to get it in their used section.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Lloyd
post #9519 of 19002 Old 12-19-2017, 05:20 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
If it were me I would stand facing the TV as it'd be easier that way to see it. Unless you want to only hear the music, in which case I'd stand facing away from the TV . . . . . .sorry, I couldn't help myself. Please forgive my misdemeanoring rambunctiousness

Congrats on your new 75 900E ! And say, that's a powerful lookin' soundbar. It looks awful good.
post #9520 of 19002 Old 12-19-2017, 05:21 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by lebo2323 View Post
does anyone know if the x900e will get HDR10+ support?

It once was thought that such require HDMI 2.1 which would preclude the X900E. But if the rumor is true that only 2.0b is required, then at least is possible for two of our ports, as long as those are 2.0b (if that’s true). Sorry, it’s not an answer, but there seems to be a possibility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ricoflashback likes this.
post #9521 of 19002 Old 12-19-2017, 05:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by snorge View Post
My issue is with the menus and Android OS, I already tried a reset. The Best Buy where I bought it went out of stock then back in stock so hopefully they have newer ones now. The back light bleed on this set seems minimal. I suppose I will buy another one to test, then return the older one as long as it doesn't have any other issues.
Have you seen or tried this?

You can call me Sheila.
post #9522 of 19002 Old 12-19-2017, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorge View Post
I'm just glad that both our Sony panels seem excellent. Cuz if I was to tell my wife that I was gonna unplug one and return it, I'm pretty sure I would thenceforth be sleepin' out in the garage. And It's real cold out in the garage. And my old REI expedition goose-down sleeping bag is smellin' kinda musty of late.
post #9523 of 19002 Old 12-19-2017, 05:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by kluken View Post
OK, still deciding what to do about my Vizio P, but Samsung bought back my wife's lemon KU6300 and opted to get her 55 X900E. Spent a bit of time going through initial settings and tweaks. First impression is WOW what a picture. I have a LGC7 and Vizio P so I can appreciate good PQ. Landed on Cinema Hime since the room has decent ambient light.

Still playing with best combinations of Black adjust, Contrast Enhancer, Local dimming, Motionflow, CineMotion as they have so many opions.

So first thing is this this TV is very under powered, laggy as hell at times. Also the WiFi is weak and as I have found with all TVs the built in WiFi usually is marginal. I may need to run a Cat 5 or set up a bridge.

The damn Sony built in Featured apps is annoying, seems like I can either hide them all or deal with the clutter. I may wind up just using old Roku or hoping a new Shield is announce and pass down mine to her Sony.

I see a bit of judder I am struggling to get rid of with Kodi loaded on TV, but think I will try my Shield to verify.

I have seen debates about Sony vs. Vizio P and others on whether higher clipped brightness vs. tone mapped lower brightness is better. I can tell you at first glance I prefer lowere level tone mapped as when I see clipped brights on this Sony it is distracting as the lost detail just looks like a wash out.

Overall impressed, but still debating whether to try another Vizio P in the exercise room or go Sony, tough call. Once I have more time to play with settings I will update my feedback. The depth and richness of the colors are truly amazing.

Try Moca adapters. They work perfectly for getting an ethernet connection without running cable.

You can call me Sheila.
post #9524 of 19002 Old 12-19-2017, 05:48 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Been a long time since i lurked around these boards, but finally decided to upgrade my display. 65" version due to be delivered here Saturday morning.. that will be replacing and aging (but still chugging along) 65" Hitachi CRT rear projection... Had my eyes on OLED for a bit because I think it would've been a better fit for my viewing preferences, but still want to give the newer larger displays another generation or two. So after a few weeks and lots of reading, I pulled the trigger on this Sony. Hopefully won't be disappointed!

Over the next couple days I will have to decide on which UHD player to get so I can really enjoy it!
post #9525 of 19002 Old 12-19-2017, 05:51 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I noticed sometimes Playstation Vue on this TV stutters or pauses live tv. I'm plugged in directly to my router via ethernet so I'm hoping its the Vue service, even though I think this TV is only 10/100 for some reason. Anyone use WiFi instead to get faster link speed?
post #9526 of 19002 Old 12-19-2017, 07:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Shankenstein View Post
As of now Samsung and Panasonic are the only brands supporting the format. CES 2018 will certainly be interesting to see the format wars really take off.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
The support of advanced video and audio formats is absolutely maddening. Example: You can only get Dolby Atmos from Netflix via One Box or a LG OLED TV. Why not just make it available via a DD+ audio stream for everyone to enjoy? The technology is there but does everything have to come down to the almighty dollar and licensing fees?

HDR10+ only with Samsung and Panasonic? Ridiculous. I know that we are a minority here on the AVS Forums who appreciate top quality video and audio but geez, Louise - the manufacturers and content providers sure test our patience.

Home Theater Setup
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
post #9527 of 19002 Old 12-19-2017, 08:55 PM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
The thing is you'll miss out on HDR which is the true real force of these HDR enabled TVs in my opinion. The resolution and details might be amazing when upscaled but you won't get the colors you'd get with HEVC.
I just have to wonder WTH these guys are doing with their setups to not see the leap in PQ.
I will agree that the Hobbit in BR is amazing (it was filmed in 4k I believe) so it's going to look amazing....but just wait until you see it in 4k HDR!
[Jackson, get er done!]
bradman likes this.
post #9528 of 19002 Old 12-19-2017, 11:37 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinMod21 View Post
If it were me I would stand facing the TV as it'd be easier that way to see it. Unless you want to only hear the music, in which case I'd stand facing away from the TV . . . . . .sorry, I couldn't help myself. Please forgive my misdemeanoring rambunctiousness

Congrats on your new 75 900E ! And say, that's a powerful lookin' soundbar. It looks awful good.
Of course, just after I posted that, I found a Focal sound bar with a sub that doubles as a stand for 40% of the price. I think I’ll start with that. Then, when I really can’t deal without good surround sound, I’ll have an excuse to get a smaller OLED TV to go with the “old” setup in the workout room and put the Yamaha in the living room.
post #9529 of 19002 Old 12-20-2017, 05:33 AM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by odoro View Post
I noticed sometimes Playstation Vue on this TV stutters or pauses live tv. I'm plugged in directly to my router via ethernet so I'm hoping its the Vue service, even though I think this TV is only 10/100 for some reason. Anyone use WiFi instead to get faster link speed?
The issue is Vue itself. For instance last night I had a couple of the same issues, but for the most part its rock solid. Vue caps out at around 5Mbps so it wouldn't be your connection. The UI is not as fast or smooth as the Fire TV box, PS4 or Apple TV, but the integration with the remote is worth it for me. Plus it's one less thing to run power to.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
post #9530 of 19002 Old 12-20-2017, 05:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 80
4K HDR Dunkirk + this TV = WOW. Absolutely Incredible! I've had this TV since May and I love finding new ways of being impressed 7 months later!
post #9531 of 19002 Old 12-20-2017, 06:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 953 Post(s)
Liked: 539
"Chasing Coral" on Netflix is a pretty interesting documentary with which is in HDR. Some very nice visuals, but the story itself should keep you involved.

The first two episodes of the second season for "The Grand Tour" on Amazon, another great use of HDR.

I looked for Chiraq on Amazon Instant, and it's no longer in HDR, that was strange.

Any type of animation, computer generated or not, it's all eye candy.

Sony XBR55X900E
Marantz SR7010/Marantz MM7025
Oppo UDP-203 - Nvidia Shield
XBox One X
Klipsch RP-260f - RP-440C - RP140sa- RP-160m - RB10 - Sony SA-WM500
post #9532 of 19002 Old 12-20-2017, 07:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by iphilologos View Post
Re: Upscaling

The vast majority of current content is not 4K. Broadcast is typically 720p or 1080i (sometimes p). Most streaming is 1080p. Samsung and Sony typically do a good job and the X900E is an excellent example of that.

Re: CES. I am excited as well!

Cable is like watching an extra large YouTube video. Terrible compression.
bradman and iphilologos like this.
post #9533 of 19002 Old 12-20-2017, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Of course, just after I posted that, I found a Focal sound bar with a sub that doubles as a stand for 40% of the price. I think I’ll start with that. Then, when I really can’t deal without good surround sound, I’ll have an excuse to get a smaller OLED TV to go with the “old” setup in the workout room and put the Yamaha in the living room.
That's an interesting soundbar too. And fairly powerful as well. But you'll still want or need to set it on something, wouldn't you? And be sure to check the weight of your 900E, as that Focal soundbar specs 55kg max. weight for tv sitting on the sub...wait, that's 121 lbs, so you should be good. I was remiss yesterday in forgetting to say, Welcome to the forum!

LINK to BDI Sweep: https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...l_90tf33ndua_p

Last edited by WinMod21; 12-20-2017 at 09:16 AM.
post #9534 of 19002 Old 12-20-2017, 07:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by odoro View Post
In my experience the being hooked up via Ethernet is the best. My tv is literally right above my asus router running 200mbs of speed and I still lagged through certain native apps especially Amazon. Once I hooked up my tv with the Ethernet cable I have not had such issues. Even my Vizio P series in my living room never had any lag issues displaying 4K Dolby Vision via wifi so I just think the system in the Sony isn't that great

Vizio P65-E1 // Sony XBR49X900E
Sony Ht-ST5000 // RCA RTS7015B
Chromcast Ultra // Apple TV 4K
PS4 PRO
post #9535 of 19002 Old 12-20-2017, 08:04 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by turts85 View Post
Cable is like watching an extra large YouTube video. Terrible compression.

I can attest that Dish has gotten worse. On AMC, the last couple years, I get the effect, during shows, but not ads, almost like the frame rate is variable at times. I think it’s compression though that macroblocks and blurs enough to make facial expressions look off. This happens on all my TVs and even the X900E’s processing can’t fix. Again, ads look beautiful.

post #9536 of 19002 Old 12-20-2017, 08:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Shadow detail torture test - Dawn of the Planet of the Apes.

I was perusing various channels last night and ran across this classic flick on FX.

This movie has a tremendous amount of dark scenes and the Sony 900E does an incredible job of shadow detail. If you're one of those households that has both an OLED and the Sony 900E - - I'd be interested in reading about your comparison. For those who have just acquired the Sony 900E (congratulations!) - this is where you'll see a huge difference in the capability of the 900E to handle shadow detail and dark scenes where you can clearly see lots of detail compared to other sets where everything is blacked out.
tornadobox and sheshechic like this.

Home Theater Setup
post #9537 of 19002 Old 12-20-2017, 10:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post

I was perusing various channels last night and ran across this classic flick on FX.

This movie has a tremendous amount of dark scenes and the Sony 900E does an incredible job of shadow detail. If you're one of those households that has both an OLED and the Sony 900E - - I'd be interested in reading about your comparison. For those who have just acquired the Sony 900E (congratulations!) - this is where you'll see a huge difference in the capability of the 900E to handle shadow detail and dark scenes where you can clearly see lots of detail compared to other sets where everything is blacked out.
Being as I am plasma guy and was never really bothered by the lack of brightness people complained about for plasma (those who liked LED at the time), I would be very interested in this as well. The more I think about my plasma the more I lean towards OLED. Jesus CES hurry up
post #9538 of 19002 Old 12-20-2017, 10:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post

there are a few night time ship/water scenes in Dunkirk that just blew me away. Absolutely gorgeous.
post #9539 of 19002 Old 12-20-2017, 11:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turts85 View Post
Being as I am plasma guy and was never really bothered by the lack of brightness people complained about for plasma (those who liked LED at the time), I would be very interested in this as well. The more I think about my plasma the more I lean towards OLED. Jesus CES hurry up
There are always trade offs in life. Where you are not bothered by a lack of brightness, I'm not enamored with "blacker than black" blacks of the OLED.

As mentioned in an earlier post - - there have been complaints that some LG OLED models are "too dark" with 4K/HDR. Which brings me to the "Shadow Detail Torture Test" or "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes" reference. I suspect that the OLED will be much darker AND less detail than the Sony 900E. That's my speculation but it would be great to compare the two - - hence my request to see if anyone who has both sets can chime in here.

To me (and maybe just my eyes) - OLED is too black with a virtual black tint or haze over the entire panel. That and the cost, especially for a large panel - 75", turned me towards the Sony 900E. There's no denying the form factor - - thinner, lighter, more visually attractive.

I believe there are still some PQ enhancements that can be squeezed out of full array sets. And of course, everyone is subject to panel lotto. I was lucky - I have two Sony 900E's (49" and 75") that are stellar performers.
Madmax67 likes this.

Home Theater Setup
post #9540 of 19002 Old 12-20-2017, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 6407 Post(s)
Liked: 6403
Quote:
Way Fair has all kinds of cheap stands........hundreds.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
issues , motion , motionflow , problems , Sony , sound delay , x900e

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page