2017 Sony XBR 900E owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 321 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 40342Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #9601 of 18991 Old 12-21-2017, 12:23 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 23,989
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6391 Post(s)
Liked: 6390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaiden206 View Post
Overall, it doesn't bother me at all because it's really unnoticeable when I am focusing on the media being shown on the screen instead of obsessing over the uformity of the edges.
If its not a bother forget about it, no such thing as a perfect TV..... The next one could be worse......
Cleveland Plasma is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #9602 of 18991 Old 12-21-2017, 12:29 PM
Advanced Member
 
TonyS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 738
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavytoo View Post
OK newbie here
I searched for this (AVS Forum calibration disc) and did not find a direct link, could you please post one?
Happy to help:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-di...libration.html

You have to download everything and then create a disc. There is a lot of good info there.

Have fun!
TonyS is offline  
post #9603 of 18991 Old 12-21-2017, 12:51 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Already posted in the Direct TV programming forum but wanted to give this a shot here. Anyone else using the DTV ready app/feature on their unit to access the available 4K channel programming??

RVU app works fine but cannot seem to get the 4k channels to show authorized. Tech just left after about 3 hours and still no 4k channels via RVU. Once everything was confirmed hardwired however the problem still existed with 4k channels showing not authorized. He was on the phone for like 90 mins resetting everything and talking through various steps with the software techs.... nothing worked.

Basically he left saying that everything was setup 100% correct. He also blamed the TV software (Sony XBR 900E) that was the issue and DTV had no control there. Anyone with experience here? All needed software/firmware updates are automatic with this unit correct?
tjgriffi is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #9604 of 18991 Old 12-21-2017, 12:56 PM
Member
 
davemsc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 190
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Hey all,
Does this tv automatically upconvert to 4k?
I'm asking because when I'm viewing the cable box and press input, it's saying it is 4k, even when not on 4k content.
However, when watching Netflix or Android box, when I press input, it says it's 1080 or 720p. If it was upconverting, shouldn't this say 4k like the cable box signal?
Thanks
Dave

Anything bigger than a handful, you're risking a sprained tongue - Gary, Weird Science
davemsc is offline  
post #9605 of 18991 Old 12-21-2017, 01:14 PM
Senior Member
 
Furyus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 380
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by davemsc View Post
Hey all,
Does this tv automatically upconvert to 4k?
I'm asking because when I'm viewing the cable box and press input, it's saying it is 4k, even when not on 4k content.
However, when watching Netflix or Android box, when I press input, it says it's 1080 or 720p. If it was upconverting, shouldn't this say 4k like the cable box signal?
Thanks
Dave


Yes it is a 4K display. What you are seeing is the source not the Sony


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sony XBR-65X900E / Sony STRDN1080 / Definitive Technology ProCinema 600 Series / Vizio P55-C1 / Vizio SB4031-D5 / DirecTV Genie (non-4K) / Apple TV 4 / Apple TV 4K / Roku Premiere+
Furyus is offline  
post #9606 of 18991 Old 12-21-2017, 01:31 PM
Member
 
davemsc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 190
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Ok so then I'm just a bit confused. When watching through my cable box, the tv is saying 4k, when it is certainly not a 4k signal.. It's a standard def channel, but the tv still says 4k when pressing display.
If it is displaying the source, would it say 480 or something like that is it's a standard def channel?

Thanks

Anything bigger than a handful, you're risking a sprained tongue - Gary, Weird Science
davemsc is offline  
post #9607 of 18991 Old 12-21-2017, 01:44 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by davemsc View Post
Ok so then I'm just a bit confused. When watching through my cable box, the tv is saying 4k, when it is certainly not a 4k signal.. It's a standard def channel, but the tv still says 4k when pressing display.
If it is displaying the source, would it say 480 or something like that is it's a standard def channel?

Thanks
It's a 4K display. It has to upscale the image or it would not display it. This is covered in the early pages of this thread, if you'd like more info on it.
Madmax67 likes this.
Change is offline  
post #9608 of 18991 Old 12-21-2017, 01:47 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Update on my perceived ARC issues from a few pages back.... Updates to Netflix and Plex reset the Advanced audio settings in those apps, and defaulted to outputting DD+. My Yamaha receiver Does TrueHD and DD5.1 but not DD+, so it would not decode it... Thus, silence when attempting to play anything.

So, that fixes the app issue.
sheshechic likes this.
Change is offline  
post #9609 of 18991 Old 12-21-2017, 02:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,370
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 907 Post(s)
Liked: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post
Great! Lots of OLED threads for you to follow.

And I get zero crushing of blacks with the 900E. In fact, read some OLED threads and they talk about OLED crushing HDR and being "too dark." Incredible shadow detail with this set. Zero blooming or any of the negative artifacts you describe.

Sounds like you're a happy OLED camper. Makes me wonder why you even bought a Sony 900E. Maybe you can resell it and get another OLED to add to your collection?
The X900E was for the wife in her living room, the OLED is our main viewing TV. The X900E is a very good set, but like I mentioned in other posts all TVs are compromises, OLED has better black and no blooming, but can't touch the X900E or Z9D for HDR brightness. Overall I am impressed with the X900E. Just take s lot of finesse to get it dialed in decently. Considering the wife's living room is fairly bright during the day OLED would not have been my first choice becasue of cost.

LG 65C7P (Also XBR65X900E and XBR55X900E)
Denon x7200WA
Oppo BD-203
Klipsch RP-280F / RC-62ii / RP-140SA / RS-35 / RS-25
Dual PSA V1800s
kluken is offline  
post #9610 of 18991 Old 12-21-2017, 02:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,370
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 907 Post(s)
Liked: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac128 View Post
Maybe post a link? When I bought my 900E several months ago, and was comparing it to the LG OLED I was willing to pay over $1,000 more for, it was RTINGS.com that clearly gave it low marks for burn in concerns, specifically image retention and ghosting. That said, Apple's OLED iPhone X I believe have begun to suffer from burn-in issues. Unless there is a definitive study that says OLED does not suffer from burn in, I'm not willing to pay almost twice as much for technology that has not been sufficiently tested in the field, just to get some "inker" blacks.



I have none of these issues with the 900E, but then it's likely what I'm used to, never having owned a plasma (though I never really though it was so much better back in the day either). I specifically chose the 900E because my first LG had horrible edge lit light bleed making it impossible to enjoy a movie in a dark room. I tried the Samsung mu8000, and eventually settled on the 900E. In the Best Buy Magnolia showroom, the LG OLED simply didn't look $1,500 better than the 900E. And after reading the rtings.com reviews of the low end OLEDs, that was simply a no-brainer decision against it at this point and time.

I routinely watch my 900E in pitch black rooms, and the black levels and local dimming continue to amaze me. Yes there's the occasional blooming, but I usually assume it's part of the original picture composition and don't find it distracting at all. When I first had it, and was looking for flaws I tended to watch the black bars instead of the movie and noticed some blooming into them from the picture. But now I don't do that anymore. It's as fine a picture as I've ever seen in my home. Heck, I was watching a movie at a theater I paid $18/ticket for, and noticed blooming into its black bars!!

So, the 900E has been an excellent investment for me, and will serve me well until the issues clouding the OLED panels are resolved definitely. I figure another 3-5 years before the prices fall into the range I'm looking for and all the kinks addressed. In the meantime, the 900E will likely serve me decidedly well.
Here is the link, you can drop down the week to see how it went each week. It was a LG B6 and the LG B7 is far more resistant to burn-in. Drop down week 4 and you will start to see some image burn-in with the LG. And again this is same image 20 hours a day 7 days a week.

I suspect the X900E will serve my wife for many years as we do not do any real critical viewing there.

LG 65C7P (Also XBR65X900E and XBR55X900E)
Denon x7200WA
Oppo BD-203
Klipsch RP-280F / RC-62ii / RP-140SA / RS-35 / RS-25
Dual PSA V1800s
kluken is offline  
post #9611 of 18991 Old 12-21-2017, 02:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,370
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 907 Post(s)
Liked: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post
Great! Lots of OLED threads for you to follow.

And I get zero crushing of blacks with the 900E. In fact, read some OLED threads and they talk about OLED crushing HDR and being "too dark." Incredible shadow detail with this set. Zero blooming or any of the negative artifacts you describe.

Sounds like you're a happy OLED camper. Makes me wonder why you even bought a Sony 900E. Maybe you can resell it and get another OLED to add to your collection?
I participate in each thread for each TV I own, so yes the OLED threads and the Vizio P thread. I think I was slightly disappointed with the X900E since I was spoiled with my OLED and my Vizio was fairly quick to dial in, the X900E is taking a bit more time. I have spent more time with it today and believe I am closer, but still not happy with some of the exaggerated contrast with some of the settings. I did seem to minimize some of the blooming. I need to find a decent set of settings somewhere to start from, I tried rtings.com, but was not very impressed with those, I felt it crushed the blacks a bit and I lost shadow detail. I can't even imagine what a X930E is like since the X900E is capable if such bright HDR and I read the X930E is even better. Seems at some point you need sunglasses to watch these things in some scenes.

LG 65C7P (Also XBR65X900E and XBR55X900E)
Denon x7200WA
Oppo BD-203
Klipsch RP-280F / RC-62ii / RP-140SA / RS-35 / RS-25
Dual PSA V1800s
kluken is offline  
post #9612 of 18991 Old 12-21-2017, 02:19 PM
Member
 
trusaleen1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 95
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinMod21 View Post
It'd be interesting to hear what you think, comparison wise, as I only viewed the 800 a few times in the BB stores, and apparently the panels on display in stores are typ set to max brightness or to a 'Retail Display' mode, so I've read, and therefore not representative of typ user settings or typ room light conditions etc.
Yeah I've heard that too, hopefully they have the remote so i can try some adjustments
trusaleen1 is offline  
post #9613 of 18991 Old 12-21-2017, 02:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,370
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 907 Post(s)
Liked: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyS View Post
Well, I have a light controlled HT and can choose to watch in a pitch black room or not. I choose to use a 6500K bias light for eye strain reasons. Even in a pitch black room, the 900E is besting my Panny plasma when it comes to blacks. I think the key here, again, is one's viewing environment. Like many, I started with the AVForums settings for the 900E and, when I started watching (especially in dark scenes like the opening of Rogue One), I was not wow'ed. I popped in my AVS Forum calibration disc, broke out my Avia blue filter and away I went. IMO, the resulting picture is awesome... in my HT! I have refrained from posting my settings as I grew tired of people criticizing settings when they didn't look perfect in their environment (never mind panel-to-panel variances). I have to ask if you have taken the time to do at least a "non-professional" calibration with some sort of test disc and color filters on your 900E? If not, and you are relying on someone else's settings, I fear you may not know what you are missing. If so, I'd suggest you return it as it sounds like you will never be happy with it. BTW, I also had the issue with the "left edge halo". I swapped the TV out and it is not present on my new one. So, again, there are panel-to-panel differences.

As far as OLED goes, there's no denying that nothing beats those black levels! That said, I am too busy in life to be worried about the burn-in issues that have been raised. I had no burn-in issues on my Panny plasma (I did have IR from time to time) and I did not want a TV that I had to "baby sit" or be that concerned about. Add in the fact that, in reading the OLED threads, it sounds like LG is giving a big middle finger to anyone who has burn-in (despite posting on their website about how it is almost impossible to get), I wanted no part of it. There are a lot of good threads over there that, if you haven't yet, I recommend you read up on.

It's all about trade offs from one tech to the next and what we can live with in the tech we choose. I choose the 900E. Oh, and my wallet thanks me as well as it will make trading up to the next big thing even easier!
I need to get a decent calibration disc, right now I have been going by eye sight, and that is not great for accuracy. I agree, and have stated it, these are all good sets, it is about which compromises one wants to live with. I do read the OLED threads since I got my LG C7 6 months ago. Also got a Vizio P about 2 months ago. This has been the year fo TV refreshes for me. The OLED spoiled me and then everything else was not good enough since they were either older 1080P or problematic low end Samsung crap.

If I rated them the OLED would take it for best contrast and color, X900E for HDR is damn impressive, the Vizio is a decent TV, but can't match the X900E in HDR,

LG 65C7P (Also XBR65X900E and XBR55X900E)
Denon x7200WA
Oppo BD-203
Klipsch RP-280F / RC-62ii / RP-140SA / RS-35 / RS-25
Dual PSA V1800s
kluken is offline  
post #9614 of 18991 Old 12-21-2017, 02:43 PM
Member
 
wavytoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Upper Left hand corner of Westchester (NY)
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyS View Post
Happy to help:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-di...libration.html

You have to download everything and then create a disc. There is a lot of good info there.

Have fun!
Ok I finally found this FEW MINUTES AGO but I am unsure which would be for just HD broadcast and UHD on Netflix or if it even applies as it all seems for BR player or AVCHD stuff which seems to be consumer video cameras.

I have the Digital Video Essentials disk from a few years ago, would this be of any help for anything but my DVD player ,which I don't actually use any more or ever really.

Last edited by wavytoo; 12-21-2017 at 02:50 PM.
wavytoo is offline  
post #9615 of 18991 Old 12-21-2017, 02:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ricoflashback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Aurora, Colorado
Posts: 3,312
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1775 Post(s)
Liked: 1247
Quote:
Originally Posted by kluken View Post
I participate in each thread for each TV I own, so yes the OLED threads and the Vizio P thread. I think I was slightly disappointed with the X900E since I was spoiled with my OLED and my Vizio was fairly quick to dial in, the X900E is taking a bit more time. I have spent more time with it today and believe I am closer, but still not happy with some of the exaggerated contrast with some of the settings. I did seem to minimize some of the blooming. I need to find a decent set of settings somewhere to start from, I tried rtings.com, but was not very impressed with those, I felt it crushed the blacks a bit and I lost shadow detail. I can't even imagine what a X930E is like since the X900E is capable if such bright HDR and I read the X930E is even better. Seems at some point you need sunglasses to watch these things in some scenes.
Understood. I'm surprised you rate the Vizio so highly. Maybe it's quicker to dial in because you can't go that far to begin with. Nothing against Vizio as I've owned one in the past. But I don't think it's anywhere in the league of the Sony 900E - especially when it comes to upscaling.

As far as I'm concerned - the RTINGS settings are terrible, IMHO. Soft picture, no detail - - just lousy. In our brighter bedroom, with the 49" Sony 900E - I do not use the light sensor. For my man cave with a few dim lights on - I do use the light sensor and it works great. It was too bright in my dark environment.

I get incredible shadow detail. I mean multiple layers of dark detail. I know this is personal preference but I find the OLED's to be saturated with black and not as bright (especially for HDR) as a full array, LCD set. Colors don't "pop" the same and aren't as luminous. Hockey is phenomenal on the Sony 900E. You really need a bright picture with good motion handling and no banding to enjoy the action.

My BenQ projector with my 100" screen has been virtually retired. I just can't get over the lack of brightness and detail. I might look at a 4K/HDR projector in the future as that might satisfy my quest for another 25" of screen and that theater experience - - but for now, I'm not in any rush as the 75" Sony 900E handles everything I throw at it.

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, BenQ W1080ST, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)

Last edited by Ricoflashback; 12-21-2017 at 02:51 PM.
Ricoflashback is offline  
post #9616 of 18991 Old 12-21-2017, 02:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,370
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 907 Post(s)
Liked: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post
Understood. I'm surprised you rate the Vizio so highly. Maybe it's quicker to dial in because you can't go that far to begin with. Nothing against Vizio as I've owned one in the past. But I don't think it's anywhere in the league of the Sony 900E - especially when it comes to upscaling.

As far as I'm concerned - the RTINGS settings are terrible, IMHO. Soft picture, no detail - - just lousy. In our brighter bedroom, with the 49" Sony 900E - I do not use the light sensor. For my man cave with a few dim lights on - I do use the light sensor and it works great. It was too bright in my dark environment.

I get incredible shadow detail. I mean multiple layers of dark detail. I know this is personal preference but I find the OLED's to be saturated with black and not as bright (especially for HDR) as a full array, LCD set. Colors don't "pop" the same and aren't as luminous. Hockey is phenomenal on the Sony 900E. You really need a bright picture with good motion handling and no banding to enjoy the action.

My BenQ projector with my 100" screen has been virtually retired. I just can't get over the lack of brightness and detail. I might look at a 4K/HDR projector in the future as that might satisfy my quest for another 25" of screen and that theater experience - - but for now, I'm not in any rush as the 75" Sony 900E handles everything I throw at it.
The Vizio is a great value set if you get it on sale (which I did). For my basement where I work out I had my other Panny VT60 and after upgrading my main TV to the LG C7 I could nto watch the Panny VT60 any more, it seemed so dim and while it had great blacks the OLED made the Plasma feel washed out and soft (I know it was not, but having the OLED made it feel that way). And my VT60 was calibrated by Chad B 4 years ago. I went to replace the basement TV and stumbled across the Vizio, sure it is not in the same league as the X900E, but it was like $500 less and for a work out TV that gets used 4-5 hours a week I did not want to spend too much. It did dial in quickly and looks very good. Also has DV which was important to me until Vudu started embracing HDR10 now. For average NetFlix viewing it is actually surprisingly good. Specular highlights are not even close to the Sony, but you still see them. That said the Vizio has some issues and I am swapping it for another one and if that one has issues I will likely do the 65X900E in the basement if they get this low in price around Super Bowl week.

I plan on spending a few more hours tweaking the Sony and if I can get it dialed in nicely I may just skip the Vizio swap and get another Sony.


If anyone has a decent set of settings to start out with I would love a link, right now I am custom picture mode then High Black Detail, Low Contrast enhancer, high Dimming and low Extended setting. That seems to have me in a ballpark.

LG 65C7P (Also XBR65X900E and XBR55X900E)
Denon x7200WA
Oppo BD-203
Klipsch RP-280F / RC-62ii / RP-140SA / RS-35 / RS-25
Dual PSA V1800s
kluken is offline  
post #9617 of 18991 Old 12-21-2017, 03:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ricoflashback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Aurora, Colorado
Posts: 3,312
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1775 Post(s)
Liked: 1247
Quote:
Originally Posted by kluken View Post
The Vizio is a great value set if you get it on sale (which I did). For my basement where I work out I had my other Panny VT60 and after upgrading my main TV to the LG C7 I could nto watch the Panny VT60 any more, it seemed so dim and while it had great blacks the OLED made the Plasma feel washed out and soft (I know it was not, but having the OLED made it feel that way). And my VT60 was calibrated by Chad B 4 years ago. I went to replace the basement TV and stumbled across the Vizio, sure it is not in the same league as the X900E, but it was like $500 less and for a work out TV that gets used 4-5 hours a week I did not want to spend too much. It did dial in quickly and looks very good. Also has DV which was important to me until Vudu started embracing HDR10 now. For average NetFlix viewing it is actually surprisingly good. Specular highlights are not even close to the Sony, but you still see them. That said the Vizio has some issues and I am swapping it for another one and if that one has issues I will likely do the 65X900E in the basement if they get this low in price around Super Bowl week.

I plan on spending a few more hours tweaking the Sony and if I can get it dialed in nicely I may just skip the Vizio swap and get another Sony.


If anyone has a decent set of settings to start out with I would love a link, right now I am custom picture mode then High Black Detail, Low Contrast enhancer, high Dimming and low Extended setting. That seems to have me in a ballpark.
I misread your intentions and for that, I apologize. We get some folks who like to troll on this forum and extol the virtues of OLED while slamming the Sony 900E. 95% of thread is filled with great posts, positive, negative and in between - - and mostly truthful about their experiences with this set.

We're all trying to get the most out of the Sony 900E and while it's not perfect (no TV is) - - it sure has ticked off many boxes for enthusiastic buyers.

I'd suggest my settings to you but mine are atypical (in an earlier spreadsheet post) in that I use "Standard" with almost all the processing off. I have a great Sony distributor that mounted my TV to perfection and they like "Cinema Pro." It's really close to what I have (looks like) but I prefer more of a razor sharp picture (my continual reference to seeing the teeny hairs on CNN's Wolf Blitzer's face) and lots of detail. Can the PQ be over saturated? Sometimes (not often) and not with most of the content I watch.

I also believe your cable or satellite "source" has a lot to do with variances in one's preferred Sony 900E settings. I have a strong Comcast Xfinity signal (they retrenched the line back to the main connection point) and even then, it's "boosted" with an amplifier in my man cave (from Comcast). I'm sure this has to do with the internal cabling inside my house which was done many moons ago. And, we have three TV's with one main Comcast box in my man cave.

DV sounds promising but honestly, I've never seen it, so I can't comment on whether it's great or not. Netflix provides my best 4K/HDR viewing and upscaled Bluray discs from my OPPO 103 comes in second place. I'm a big believer in HLG but it will never be implemented in the good ol' USA.

All in all and especially for a large panel (75") - - I couldn't find anything that matched the price performance of the Sony 900E. And I discovered it by mistake - - I gave away my 4K (non HDR Vizio) set to my girlfriend's sister and bought the 49" Sony 900E to see what HDR was all about. I didn't think it would make much of a difference but boy, was I wrong. Add a full array design and after watching my Sony 49" 900E for a month or so, I couldn't wait to upgrade my man cave with the Sony 75" TV. Best decision I've made in a long time! Happy viewing & Happy Holidays - Rico.
Madmax67 likes this.

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, BenQ W1080ST, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)
Ricoflashback is offline  
post #9618 of 18991 Old 12-21-2017, 04:09 PM
Advanced Member
 
Mac128's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 930
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by davemsc View Post
Ok so then I'm just a bit confused. When watching through my cable box, the tv is saying 4k, when it is certainly not a 4k signal.. It's a standard def channel, but the tv still says 4k when pressing display.
If it is displaying the source, would it say 480 or something like that is it's a standard def channel?

Thanks
Your cable box has to be set to output 4K. So the cable box is upscaling. You likely don't want that. There should be a setting that will either auto match the resolution, or at a minimum, 1080p.
Mac128 is offline  
post #9619 of 18991 Old 12-21-2017, 04:22 PM
Advanced Member
 
Mac128's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 930
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by kauaidoug View Post
However then when I went to Netflix and tried watching an HDR movies on my recently upgraded account so I could experience HDR it was not showing HDR(hitting display on remote but is showing the 4k aspect) on a movie listed as HDR and I'm pretty sure I have had HDR so somehow in my constant quest for the perfect PQ I have lost it. I have HDR set to auto but I can change that to hdr and the pic goes darker and the color is enhanced. I also just bought a new Samsung blu ray 8500 recommended that I use to upscale. When I use the 8500 the pic looks better than just through the TV. But now that I started playing with the settings at picture adjustments it is showing HDR(netflix ) up in the corner of the settings box? I am confused.
Are you watching Netflix on the internal app or the Samsung box? HDR should be left on Auto. The only place on the entire set that provides feedback for HDR is in the Picture Adjustments settings. Display doesn't usually provide that info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavytoo View Post
I am wondering what apps use the Samba engine, what am I loosing by not having it activated or even present.
I believe you need Samaba to use the Sony TVSideView app, and other compatible Apps. Not sure how widely adopted this is yet. So if you don't use your phone or tablet to control the TV, then you won't need the engine.
Mac128 is offline  
post #9620 of 18991 Old 12-21-2017, 06:14 PM
Member
 
gnojham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 119
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 17
anybody else using the sony bravia skill with alexa to control the tv?
im finding half the time it tells me the tv is not responding when i try to turn it on. so far it will always turn off. seems the problems turning it on are when the tv has been sitting for a while (>1 hour or so).
its not an internet issue.
i think its probably just the skill isnt too hot
gnojham is offline  
post #9621 of 18991 Old 12-21-2017, 06:32 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnojham View Post
anybody else using the sony bravia skill with alexa to control the tv?
im finding half the time it tells me the tv is not responding when i try to turn it on. so far it will always turn off. seems the problems turning it on are when the tv has been sitting for a while (>1 hour or so).
its not an internet issue.
i think its probably just the skill isnt too hot
Yup - I'm having the exact same issue . . . Almost always have a problem turning the X900 on. No problems at all turning it off or adjusting volume.
rjanice is offline  
post #9622 of 18991 Old 12-21-2017, 06:33 PM
Member
 
kauaidoug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Kaua'i
Posts: 199
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac128 View Post
Are you watching Netflix on the internal app or the Samsung box? HDR should be left on Auto. The only place on the entire set that provides feedback for HDR is in the Picture Adjustments settings. Display doesn't usually provide that info.



I believe you need Samaba to use the Sony TVSideView app, and other compatible Apps. Not sure how widely adopted this is yet. So if you don't use your phone or tablet to control the TV, then you won't need the engine.
I use the sammy box, it looks better but when I am viewing a Netflix program that is rated HDR shouldn't I see that somehwere? When i look for resolution by hitting display it just shows the 4k, no HDR indicated. But when I go ahead and unlock my settings, meaning I have to start all over again, I can change from auto to HDR and then I see a darker picture with enhanced color. I guess I am after a brighter pic with the enhancement, what am I missing, other than technical no how?

BTW i do not use a phone and first thing I did was dissable the Samaba and the remote was lightning compared to that lag. Best thing I did to enjoy the TV, so far.
kauaidoug is offline  
post #9623 of 18991 Old 12-21-2017, 08:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sheshechic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Suffolk, VA
Posts: 3,275
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnojham View Post
anybody else using the sony bravia skill with alexa to control the tv?
im finding half the time it tells me the tv is not responding when i try to turn it on. so far it will always turn off. seems the problems turning it on are when the tv has been sitting for a while (>1 hour or so).
its not an internet issue.
i think its probably just the skill isnt too hot
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjanice View Post
Yup - I'm having the exact same issue . . . Almost always have a problem turning the X900 on. No problems at all turning it off or adjusting volume.
It's not just the Skill, it's the tv since I have an issue turning off and on with both Alexa and Tivo. My tv is on all day, from the time I get up until I go to bed, with one occasional exception- dinner time. It seems that the problem lies with how long the tv has been on or off, and it goes to sleep. It then requires two clicks one to wake and then one to communicate. It will turn on/off if I ask Alexa a second time just after she has said that tv won't respond. I looked for something to stop her from sleeping but I didn't see anything in settings.

You can call me Sheila.
sheshechic is offline  
post #9624 of 18991 Old 12-21-2017, 08:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sheshechic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Suffolk, VA
Posts: 3,275
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by kluken View Post
The Vizio is a great value set if you get it on sale (which I did). For my basement where I work out I had my other Panny VT60 and after upgrading my main TV to the LG C7 I could nto watch the Panny VT60 any more, it seemed so dim and while it had great blacks the OLED made the Plasma feel washed out and soft (I know it was not, but having the OLED made it feel that way). And my VT60 was calibrated by Chad B 4 years ago. I went to replace the basement TV and stumbled across the Vizio, sure it is not in the same league as the X900E, but it was like $500 less and for a work out TV that gets used 4-5 hours a week I did not want to spend too much. It did dial in quickly and looks very good. Also has DV which was important to me until Vudu started embracing HDR10 now. For average NetFlix viewing it is actually surprisingly good. Specular highlights are not even close to the Sony, but you still see them. That said the Vizio has some issues and I am swapping it for another one and if that one has issues I will likely do the 65X900E in the basement if they get this low in price around Super Bowl week.

I plan on spending a few more hours tweaking the Sony and if I can get it dialed in nicely I may just skip the Vizio swap and get another Sony.


If anyone has a decent set of settings to start out with I would love a link, right now I am custom picture mode then High Black Detail, Low Contrast enhancer, high Dimming and low Extended setting. That seems to have me in a ballpark.

You can call me Sheila.
sheshechic is offline  
post #9625 of 18991 Old 12-21-2017, 09:05 PM
Advanced Member
 
snorge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: WI
Posts: 549
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airsculpture View Post
When a HDR disc is played and the TV is set to HDR Mode AUTO, it's normal for brightness to zoom up from my 20 setting to MAX right ? I am assuming so along with any other settings which change (haven't checked) with HDR Mode AUTO ?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I am wondering the same thing. Are we meant to leave it on Max for the best HDR picture or lower it to our normal brightness setting?
snorge is offline  
post #9626 of 18991 Old 12-21-2017, 09:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sheshechic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Suffolk, VA
Posts: 3,275
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airsculpture View Post
When a HDR disc is played and the TV is set to HDR Mode AUTO, it's normal for brightness to zoom up from my 20 setting to MAX right ? I am assuming so along with any other settings which change (haven't checked) with HDR Mode AUTO ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by snorge View Post
I am wondering the same thing. Are we meant to leave it on Max for the best HDR picture or lower it to our normal brightness setting?
You can change the settings if you like. The settings for HDR are separate from SDR.

There is a search tool at the top of the thread.

You can call me Sheila.
sheshechic is offline  
post #9627 of 18991 Old 12-21-2017, 10:20 PM
Senior Member
 
Elemental101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: A Sanctuary State, unfortunately
Posts: 227
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradman View Post
The installer screwed the pooch. They are not supposed to leave until you are activated and 4K displays on your set.
Yes, I let him leave without checking.
DTV had me reboot everything and during the reboot/reset process, you can see the DTV hardware show 4k all good to go during the testing portion.
This seems like they are confused and probably forgot to check the 4k box on my account.
I just want to see that HDR on a broadcast channel!
Elemental101 is offline  
post #9628 of 18991 Old 12-21-2017, 10:27 PM
Senior Member
 
Elemental101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: A Sanctuary State, unfortunately
Posts: 227
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by kluken View Post
In my dark viewing rooms I will take my OLED all day long, my X900E and Vizio P can't come close to the pleasing contrast and pop the OLD has in a dark room. The X900E can go far brighter, but the FALd dimming struggling to keep things even and natural looking is visible to me, and the settings to get it to maintain decent black to me cause excessive contracts with crushing darks. During the day the X900E looks awesome, at night (that room has windows that let light in during the day), it does no look right, black bars have hints of blooming in bright scenes, and certain scenes struggle dur to limited dimming zones. Overall a great TV, but from 10+ years of plasmas I will take OLED all day every day unless you have a very bright room.
I have walked by the OLED's and they do look very nice and do suggest a superior experience but I have to say that I do question a head to head with these Sony LCD's in HDR.
Maybe the OLEDs do come out on top but by how much and is it winning the battle but losing the war?
I do agree with you that compared to the Vizios, more fiddling is needed with these Sony's.
As for the burn-in FUD, pfft...they said that about my Plasma and I laughed at them for 11 years (Of course, I didn't run VIVID either!).
Elemental101 is offline  
post #9629 of 18991 Old 12-21-2017, 10:33 PM
Senior Member
 
Elemental101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: A Sanctuary State, unfortunately
Posts: 227
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedingwicked View Post
So I’m trying to find a decent sound bar to complement my 55in 900e. I’m looking to spend around $300. I’m not really too picky when it comes to audio but I don’t want to buy the worse either. I was looking at the Yamaha 207, Sony CT800, and the Samsung ms650. I don’t really know much about audio. And I am interested in the “simulated” surround sound, so I’ve been leaning towards the Yamaha. Or do most sound bars nowadays offer some sort of surround sound? Currently I have a older Logitech pc surround sound that I’ve been using for 8+ years. The room I’ll be using it in is pretty big but the couch is towards the middle of the room, about 6-7 feet from the tv.

I’m really enjoying the tv. But I was coming from a 8 year old lg, so I’m sure anything would have looked better. Been enjoying playing PS4pro in hdr.

Thanks in advance for advice. Hope everyone has a great holiday.
While I would take the $1200 Sony ATMOS soundbar if I had money to burn, my CT800 was worth every BF special penny spent.
Add some wireless surround Sony speakers and you are good to go!
Bleedingwicked likes this.
Elemental101 is offline  
post #9630 of 18991 Old 12-22-2017, 04:05 AM
Advanced Member
 
Airsculpture's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: English but in Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada
Posts: 917
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 488 Post(s)
Liked: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post
You can change the settings if you like. The settings for HDR are separate from SDR.



There is a search tool at the top of the thread.


Obviously I can change them, I assume they are the defaults. I also assume when altered they will save just like settings for other individual HDMI


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sony XBR65X900E, Oppo UDP-203 Universal Player
Front L&R - Polk TSx550t, Centre - Polk CSiA6 all in Cherry
Surrounds & Rears - Mission 77DS & Mission 780s
Subwoofer - Polk PSW125 in Cherry
Receiver - Marantz SR6012
Airsculpture is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
issues , motion , motionflow , problems , Sony , sound delay , x900e

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off