2017 Sony XBR 900E owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 322 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 40343Likes

post #9631 of 18997 Old 12-22-2017, 05:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elemental101 View Post
Well, my OLD Panny plasma didn't hold a candle to the 900E unless you fed it real garbage which it could polish up pretty well.
I was just watching ST:Into Darkness and was even comparing BR:HD to the UHD disk and beyond the bit rates being 2-3x higher with UHD, no way my old plasma could hope to look that good. Throw in HDR and yeah, I even wonder if today's less bright OLEDs can look that good.
When the Vengeance pulls up on Enterprise, it's not even a close competition....but of course, that's against an 11 yr old 720p Plasma.
Not to seem like I’m trying to promote OLED here cuz I’m really not...just having a rough time choosing tech right now. I am also about to build my first PC, so LED may be best anyway.

With that said...OLED HDR may not be “as bright” but with OLED, HDR still looks incredible because you don’t have zones or edge lighting with dimming to count on or lack of zones...each pixel shuts up itself so HDR still looks great because of the accuracy of OLED (as far as the way pixels shut off)
kluken likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9632 of 18997 Old 12-22-2017, 06:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaiden206 View Post
Yes, I can see some light bleed or whatever you want to call it on the left side of my 55". But it's only noticeable during certain scenes in movies and even than I have to be looking for it to notice it.

I also noticed that it's more noticeable if you watch the TV in a dark room versuses a bright or semi-bright room. No one in my family notices it except me and I really have to focus on the edges and try hard to look for it in certain scenes to see it.

Overall, it doesn't bother me at all because it's really unnoticeable when I am focusing on the media being shown on the screen instead of obsessing over the uformity of the edges.
funny thing is i have the same left edge problem. its not like a bleed but more like theres a light behind it. ive had a ks8000 and that had edgle bleed this is different. I wonder how many other people have this problem, i had this tv for almost a year and i just noticed it a couple months ago after i stupidly decided to move the tv. i know im not crazy because my gf can see it to.
post #9633 of 18997 Old 12-22-2017, 06:34 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by kauaidoug View Post
I use the sammy box, it looks better but when I am viewing a Netflix program that is rated HDR shouldn't I see that somehwere? When i look for resolution by hitting display it just shows the 4k, no HDR indicated. But when I go ahead and unlock my settings, meaning I have to start all over again, I can change from auto to HDR and then I see a darker picture with enhanced color. I guess I am after a brighter pic with the enhancement, what am I missing, other than technical no how?

BTW i do not use a phone and first thing I did was dissable the Samaba and the remote was lightning compared to that lag. Best thing I did to enjoy the TV, so far.

Yes the HDR indicator shows up in Picture Adjustment settings on the right side of the menu. That's the ONLY way to see HDR. As long as your Samsung box is outputting the correct signal, the 900E will reflect HDR in the Picture Adjustments menu. As I said before, pressing the Display button will not tell you anything about HDR.

Leave the HDMI HDR settings in auto. You need to look at the Output settings of the Samsung box to make sure it is sending the native signal for the 900E to decode.

What do you mean "unlock" and "start all over again"? There's no need to reset any settings to make minor adjustments.

I also don't understand what you mean by a brighter pic. HDR Doesn't make your picture brighter. If anything it makes the picture darker. It technically ramps the brightness up to max, because it reveals more shadow detail, while boosting the bright spots. But it doesn't make the picture overall brighter, only bright objects.

I have noticed no lag with Samaba, using my iPhone. I have gone into developer settings and limited background processes to 4, and that's sped things up considerably.

Last edited by Mac128; 12-22-2017 at 06:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9634 of 18997 Old 12-22-2017, 07:22 AM

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post
It's not just the Skill, it's the tv since I have an issue turning off and on with both Alexa and Tivo. My tv is on all day, from the time I get up until I go to bed, with one occasional exception- dinner time. It seems that the problem lies with how long the tv has been on or off, and it goes to sleep. It then requires two clicks one to wake and then one to communicate. It will turn on/off if I ask Alexa a second time just after she has said that tv won't respond. I looked for something to stop her from sleeping but I didn't see anything in settings.
hmm, i have asked her repeatedly to turn on after she said no communication, doesnt help me at all.
post #9635 of 18997 Old 12-22-2017, 07:31 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Is there a way to turn off the upscaler for this TV? I have a Nintendo Switch and some games are locked at 720p, and it doesn't look good on the 900e, I assume, because of the upscaler.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
post #9636 of 18997 Old 12-22-2017, 07:38 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
We've been enjoying a 55" set since early Nov and I was fortunate to get the price match when BB dropped the price for Black Friday. Made me feel much better about missing an open box one by about 2 min when I bought mine.

I just added an Oppo 205 player as a combo of major DAC upgrade for 2-channel plus the video benefit. I went into the audio settings and changed them to "audio system." What I found was that, when I set the Oppo to ARC input, the 900E shut off its speakers (player main out HDMI connected to HDMI 3 on TV). But when I played a disc, the internal speakers stayed on with awful sync until I muted the TV.

Guess I'm wondering if that's normal/expected. What I'm going for due to technology-challenged spouse is that, if you want to listen over the stereo, you can turn that on and the TV switches off its internal speakers. But if the 205 isn't on, it defaults back to the internal speakers (good for evening watching when one or more family members are in bed nearby). Also, if I want to watch a disc without the stereo on (which will happen, even though it sounds bleeping awesome through the big speakers), is there a way to fix the sync from the internal speakers?
post #9637 of 18997 Old 12-22-2017, 07:46 AM

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks_mandrill View Post
Is there a way to turn off the upscaler for this TV? I have a Nintendo Switch and some games are locked at 720p, and it doesn't look good on the 900e, I assume, because of the upscaler.

Not sure that's possible. Not much at such a low resolution like that is going to look good on a 4K tv. You can try to use the reality Creation in picture settings to help clean it up but garbage in garbage out.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
iphilologos likes this.
post #9638 of 18997 Old 12-22-2017, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Williams View Post
Not sure that's possible. Not much at such a low resolution like that is going to look good on a 4K tv. You can try to use the reality Creation in picture settings to help clean it up but garbage in garbage out.

Fair enough, thanks.

post #9639 of 18997 Old 12-22-2017, 08:01 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6394 Post(s)
Liked: 6393
Quote:
I have walked by the OLED's and they do look very nice and do suggest a superior experience but I have to say that I do question a head to head with these Sony LCD's in HDR.
here are a few guys out there that like LED over OLED.....Nothing wrong with that. Buy what you like.
kluken likes this.
post #9640 of 18997 Old 12-22-2017, 08:24 AM

Liked: 28
does any one play 4k video files directly from a connected USB drive to their 900e? I am not able to get it to work with various video formats. I have tried the internal media player. I also downloaded VLC but cannot figure out how to get it to find the USB drive. VLC keeps wanting to look at internal memory or connect to my network. Which leads to another question. I have a windows computer and VLC is asking for domain and username to connect to network. do you know what the domain is ??

Thanks for any help. Very frustrating.
post #9641 of 18997 Old 12-22-2017, 08:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Hi,

I am having trouble getting the sound to work from my Optimum cable box when my TV and receiver are set to 'enhanced'.

My setup is a Sony 900e connected to a Denon 1400h receiver. My Optimum TV cable box is connected to the Denon receiver with a monoprice HDMI cable and most recently added an optical audio cable.

I have tried different ports on the Denon as well as different HDMI cables. When I have the TV and receiver set to enhanced mode (for 4k) I get picture but no sound from the cable box. All of my other devices work as normal on this setting. I also tried changing the audio output settings on the cable box from Dolby Digital to Other. As soon as I switch the Denon or TV out of enhanced mode back to standard the TV flashes and the sound works for the cable box.

I have passthrough and ARC enabled on the Denon. Even with the Denon powered off and the TV switches back to internal speakers I have no sound. Any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
post #9642 of 18997 Old 12-22-2017, 08:33 AM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by snorge View Post
I am wondering the same thing. Are we meant to leave it on Max for the best HDR picture or lower it to our normal brightness setting?
If you have HDR set to AUTO in the settings, the TV will automatically ramp the brightness to max when HDR content is detected.
post #9643 of 18997 Old 12-22-2017, 09:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboys6190 View Post
does any one play 4k video files directly from a connected USB drive to their 900e? I am not able to get it to work with various video formats. I have tried the internal media player. I also downloaded VLC but cannot figure out how to get it to find the USB drive. VLC keeps wanting to look at internal memory or connect to my network. Which leads to another question. I have a windows computer and VLC is asking for domain and username to connect to network. do you know what the domain is ??

Thanks for any help. Very frustrating.
I've been able to play a lot of 4k videos with the standard video player app. What format and codec are the videos you're having trouble with?

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk
post #9644 of 18997 Old 12-22-2017, 09:12 AM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 55
[QUOTE=turts85;55363940]Not to seem like I’m trying to promote OLED here cuz I’m really not...just having a rough time choosing tech right now. I am also about to build my first PC, so LED may be best anyway.

With that said...OLED HDR may not be “as bright” but with OLED, HDR still looks incredible because you don’t have zones or edge lighting with dimming to count on or lack of zones...each pixel shuts up itself so HDR still looks great because of the accuracy of OLED (as far as the way pixels shut off)[/QUOTE

I had same difficulties. But, since this set in a 55" and 65" is not terribly expensive, you can buy yourself a well-rounded TV. Any content you throw at it will be from good to excellent, depending on content and metric.

I still have to get used to the light framing that I see dark scenes. Some people don't see it (or perhaps don't have it) some do.

To do better in blacks, you either need to get an OLED or accept the cost and poor pixel response of X940E or Z9D (though 75" has good pixel response). Samsung won't get you there and Vizio P kind of does for blacks (compared to X900E) but sacrifices light output to do it and don't even get me started on processing (or lack there of). Samsung and Vizio can't get close to the 940 and Z9 for blacks, never have. Also, OLEDs often have vertical banding, image retention, potential-burn in, and currently have these motion artifacts - macro-blocking like in the locust scenes in Planet Earth 2, mediocre upscaling (Rogue 1 BD, worse on streaming) and deinterlacing (broadcast TV and homevideos that I watched), difficulty in removing judder without SOE (pick any 24p movie). The A1E mitigates the artifacts well and this what many reviewers miss. I don't judge just based on clean 4K. I watch many sources.

The best all around performing TV period is the 75" Z9D. Price per all-around performance, join us.

Otherwise, you can always see what's coming out in the next few months and let me know what you find.

Last edited by iphilologos; 12-22-2017 at 09:15 AM. Reason: Miswording
post #9645 of 18997 Old 12-22-2017, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitlet View Post
I've been able to play a lot of 4k videos with the standard video player app. What format and codec are the videos you're having trouble with?

Mainly MKV files. A couple ts files. and a couple blu-ray files (m2ts). None play from the external hard drive. Each one says video cannot play when I click on it from the TV.
post #9646 of 18997 Old 12-22-2017, 09:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboys6190 View Post
Mainly MKV files. A couple ts files. and a couple blu-ray files (m2ts). None play from the external hard drive. Each one says video cannot play when I click on it from the TV.
What codec are they?

post #9647 of 18997 Old 12-22-2017, 09:50 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac128 View Post
I believe you need Samaba to use the Sony TVSideView app, and other compatible Apps. Not sure how widely adopted this is yet. So if you don't use your phone or tablet to control the TV, then you won't need the engine.
Do any of the Apps on the TV itself use Samba?
post #9648 of 18997 Old 12-22-2017, 09:52 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake1990wilson View Post
funny thing is i have the same left edge problem. its not like a bleed but more like theres a light behind it. ive had a ks8000 and that had edgle bleed this is different. I wonder how many other people have this problem, i had this tv for almost a year and i just noticed it a couple months ago after i stupidly decided to move the tv. i know im not crazy because my gf can see it to.
I have the same issue. I noticed it last night after owning the set a month. We were watching Peaky blinders when I noticed the problem on all edges but most so on the left. Played some other content and it wasn't as noticeable. Sorry for the iphone quality pic. It's a bit worse than the pic shows.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	563.3 KB
ID:	2334076  
post #9649 of 18997 Old 12-22-2017, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44tiger View Post
I have the same issue. I noticed it last night after owning the set a month. We were watching Peaky blinders when I noticed the problem on all edges but most so on the left. Played some other content and it wasn't as noticeable. Sorry for the iphone quality pic. It's a bit worse than the pic shows.
I wonder what's going on. It's slightly annoying lol

Sent from my P01M using Tapatalk
post #9650 of 18997 Old 12-22-2017, 09:55 AM

Quote:
I thank we all need to figure this out! If its on alot of tvs or if it's fixable

post #9651 of 18997 Old 12-22-2017, 09:57 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake1990wilson View Post
I wonder what's going on. It's slightly annoying lol

Once you notice it it can't be unseen lol. But we also noticed t when we moved to the bedroom and we're watching on a 50" Panasonic plasma. Not as bad as the x900 but still noticeable. Gonna pay attention today but so far I'm thinking it may be just this show and how it's shot.
post #9652 of 18997 Old 12-22-2017, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Once you notice it it can't be unseen lol. But we also noticed t when we moved to the bedroom and we're watching on a 50" Panasonic plasma. Not as bad as the x900 but still noticeable. Gonna pay attention today but so far I'm thinking it may be just this show and how it's shot.
It's really strange, I'm hoping we can get more input from other members

post #9653 of 18997 Old 12-22-2017, 10:08 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kauaidoug View Post
BTW i do not use a phone and first thing I did was dissable the Samaba and the remote was lightning compared to that lag. Best thing I did to enjoy the TV, so far.
Its Samba, like the Linux protocol, why they picked that for a name is anybody's guess. Did you turn it off or uninstall it? I never activated it but have no idea if it is still running in the back ground.

Anyway lov'n my 900e.
post #9654 of 18997 Old 12-22-2017, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Williams View Post

The 4K TV has no choice but to guess what to fill in the missing pixels (upscaling). The X900E with Reality Creation is about a good as it gets. A native 720p TV will probably trade less upscaling issues with poorer black performance, color gamut, and brightness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #9655 of 18997 Old 12-22-2017, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitlet View Post
What codec are they?

All are HEVC codec.
post #9656 of 18997 Old 12-22-2017, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iphilologos View Post
The 4K TV has no choice but to guess what to fill in the missing pixels (upscaling). The X900E with Reality Creation is about a good as it gets. A native 720p TV will probably trade less upscaling issues with poorer black performance, color gamut, and brightness.

Ah, I understand.

What exactly does Reality Creation doanf what is it's purpose? Also, is there a guide that explains all this? I didn't see anything when flipping through the manual.

When I look at the television from it's side, I know that it's titled back a little, but is there also a slight convex to it as well? The back of the TV is thicker at the bottom so that might be an optical illusion, but when I look at environmental light reflections on the screen (like open window blinds), I can see that it's not a perfect mirror.

post #9657 of 18997 Old 12-22-2017, 12:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 907 Post(s)
Liked: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post
I misread your intentions and for that, I apologize. We get some folks who like to troll on this forum and extol the virtues of OLED while slamming the Sony 900E. 95% of thread is filled with great posts, positive, negative and in between - - and mostly truthful about their experiences with this set.

We're all trying to get the most out of the Sony 900E and while it's not perfect (no TV is) - - it sure has ticked off many boxes for enthusiastic buyers.

I'd suggest my settings to you but mine are atypical (in an earlier spreadsheet post) in that I use "Standard" with almost all the processing off. I have a great Sony distributor that mounted my TV to perfection and they like "Cinema Pro." It's really close to what I have (looks like) but I prefer more of a razor sharp picture (my continual reference to seeing the teeny hairs on CNN's Wolf Blitzer's face) and lots of detail. Can the PQ be over saturated? Sometimes (not often) and not with most of the content I watch.

I also believe your cable or satellite "source" has a lot to do with variances in one's preferred Sony 900E settings. I have a strong Comcast Xfinity signal (they retrenched the line back to the main connection point) and even then, it's "boosted" with an amplifier in my man cave (from Comcast). I'm sure this has to do with the internal cabling inside my house which was done many moons ago. And, we have three TV's with one main Comcast box in my man cave.

DV sounds promising but honestly, I've never seen it, so I can't comment on whether it's great or not. Netflix provides my best 4K/HDR viewing and upscaled Bluray discs from my OPPO 103 comes in second place. I'm a big believer in HLG but it will never be implemented in the good ol' USA.

All in all and especially for a large panel (75") - - I couldn't find anything that matched the price performance of the Sony 900E. And I discovered it by mistake - - I gave away my 4K (non HDR Vizio) set to my girlfriend's sister and bought the 49" Sony 900E to see what HDR was all about. I didn't think it would make much of a difference but boy, was I wrong. Add a full array design and after watching my Sony 49" 900E for a month or so, I couldn't wait to upgrade my man cave with the Sony 75" TV. Best decision I've made in a long time! Happy viewing & Happy Holidays - Rico.
No problem, totally understand as my initial feedback was a bit negative. I hope to have some time this weekend tweaking some more and get this better dialed in. It is looking good in ambient light, so now I need to tweak more at night in darker room.
paul416 and Ricoflashback like this.

LG 65C7P (Also XBR65X900E and XBR55X900E)
Denon x7200WA
Oppo BD-203
Klipsch RP-280F / RC-62ii / RP-140SA / RS-35 / RS-25
Dual PSA V1800s
post #9658 of 18997 Old 12-22-2017, 12:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 907 Post(s)
Liked: 645
Quote:
I have walked by the OLED's and they do look very nice and do suggest a superior experience but I have to say that I do question a head to head with these Sony LCD's in HDR.
Maybe the OLEDs do come out on top but by how much and is it winning the battle but losing the war?
I do agree with you that compared to the Vizios, more fiddling is needed with these Sony's.
As for the burn-in FUD, pfft...they said that about my Plasma and I laughed at them for 11 years (Of course, I didn't run VIVID either!).
I have not compared them side by side, but my guess is in a side by side comparison the X900, X930 and Z9D will blow OLED out of the water in extreme HDR highlights, but that said the Sony's are know to clip where the LG OLEDs will tone map down to try and preserve some detail. I prefer the one mapping vs. clipped approach, but that is persona preference.

LG 65C7P (Also XBR65X900E and XBR55X900E)
Denon x7200WA
Oppo BD-203
Klipsch RP-280F / RC-62ii / RP-140SA / RS-35 / RS-25
Dual PSA V1800s
post #9659 of 18997 Old 12-22-2017, 12:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post
I just lit a candle, burned some incense and recited a "TV" chant this morning. Good luck is coming your way. Merry Xmas & Happy New Year!

(P.S. - just in case it didn't work, make sure you have a solid return policy. )
Lmao...thanks dude. I’m Best Buy Elite plus, 45days plus holiday return periods. Woo woo
Ricoflashback likes this.
post #9660 of 18997 Old 12-22-2017, 12:41 PM

I first saw it on a Sony 4K projector demoing the difference with 1080p material side by side, engaged vs. not. We saw this for BD material that our local shop has lying around as well. Made be a believer, huge difference on 8 foot screen. My understanding is that part of interpolation also involves looking up a catalog of textures and applying them. I think this is in part why i think this TV does so well with BD and even 1080i/720p broadcasts. I am not aware of any white papers on the process, however.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
issues , motion , motionflow , problems , Sony , sound delay , x900e

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page