2017 Sony XBR 900E owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 353 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 40380Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #10561 of 19183 Old 01-05-2018, 11:29 PM
Advanced Member
 
bradman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 736
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks_mandrill View Post
Ive noted (in this thread iirc) about how ****ty Comcast looks on this TV,and people have said that it's because the upscaler on sony TV's is not very good... If that's the case, then why does a YouTube video in 1080 look totally nice and basically just as nice as stuff on my 1080 computer monitor?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Yep, those folks are wrong.
bradman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #10562 of 19183 Old 01-06-2018, 05:55 AM
Newbie
 
deano1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Here are my settings Picture adjustments menu

Picture Mode: Cinema Pro
Auto picture Mode: Off
Brightness: 10
Color: 50
Light Sensor: Off

Advanced settings menu

-- Brightness sub-menu
Brightness: 10
Contrast: 90
Gamma: -2
Black level: 50
Black adjust: Off
Auto Local Dimming: Medium
X-tended Dynamic Range: Off

-- Color sub-menu
Color: 50
Hue: 0
Color temperature: Expert 1
Live Color: Off

Multi point (10p) [no changes]

-- Clarity sub-menu
Sharpness: 50
Reality Creation: Off
Random noise reduction: Off
Digital noise reduction: Off
Smooth gradation: Low

-- Motion sub-menu
Motionflow: True Cinema
CineMotion: High

-- Video options sub-menu
HDR mode: Auto
HDMI video range: Auto
Color space: Auto
bradman likes this.
deano1979 is offline  
post #10563 of 19183 Old 01-06-2018, 06:39 AM
Advanced Member
 
bradman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 736
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by deano1979 View Post
Here are my settings Picture adjustments menu

Picture Mode: Cinema Pro
Auto picture Mode: Off
Brightness: 10
Color: 50
Light Sensor: Off

Advanced settings menu

-- Brightness sub-menu
Brightness: 10
Contrast: 90
Gamma: -2
Black level: 50
Black adjust: Off
Auto Local Dimming: Medium
X-tended Dynamic Range: Off

-- Color sub-menu
Color: 50
Hue: 0
Color temperature: Expert 1
Live Color: Off

Multi point (10p) [no changes]

-- Clarity sub-menu
Sharpness: 50
Reality Creation: Off
Random noise reduction: Off
Digital noise reduction: Off
Smooth gradation: Low

-- Motion sub-menu
Motionflow: True Cinema
CineMotion: High

-- Video options sub-menu
HDR mode: Auto
HDMI video range: Auto
Color space: Auto
This is what I use, but with a bit more backlight. Folks who try these need to give it a day or two, and adjust backlight to suit the room.
Reality Creation can be left on Auto without introducing too much artifacting, and APM can work in some situations. It accurately switches from C Pro to Game and back for me.
These can also be used with C Home and get nice results, especially if one is using auto 24p sync.

Last edited by bradman; 01-06-2018 at 06:44 AM.
bradman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #10564 of 19183 Old 01-06-2018, 07:09 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove93 View Post
Yes youtube is compressed, and so is Vimeo. They just use different compression algorithms. Same goes for cable/satellite/OTA broadcast signals.

You'll notice that YouTube uses the vp9 profile 2 spec for 4k HDR clips. If you check the "stats for nerds" information for one of these videos you should notice that h.265 is used as well.

Older 1080p feeds will have h.264.






Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Sorry, what's this "stats for nerds" video? I'd love to get a high level view on all this sort of stuff.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
sparks_mandrill is offline  
post #10565 of 19183 Old 01-06-2018, 07:36 AM
Member
 
Billyjoebob007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua goard View Post
My 75 inch 900e just got dropped off. Brought it into the living room to start unboxing and look what happened? Son of a B$#@!

Hopefully the picture looks better than my carpet does now...
You aint supposed to drag the tv in with ur motorbike, derp.
Billyjoebob007 is offline  
post #10566 of 19183 Old 01-06-2018, 07:44 AM
Senior Member
 
Furyus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 380
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks_mandrill View Post
Sorry, what's this "stats for nerds" video? I'd love to get a high level view on all this sort of stuff.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk


Available on Youtube content


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sony XBR-65X900E / Sony STRDN1080 / Definitive Technology ProCinema 600 Series / Vizio P55-C1 / Vizio SB4031-D5 / DirecTV Genie (non-4K) / Apple TV 4 / Apple TV 4K / Roku Premiere+
Furyus is offline  
post #10567 of 19183 Old 01-06-2018, 07:47 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furyus View Post
Available on Youtube content


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Interesting thanks

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
sparks_mandrill is offline  
post #10568 of 19183 Old 01-06-2018, 07:49 AM
Senior Member
 
Furyus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 380
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks_mandrill View Post
Interesting thanks

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk


If you watch through the TV app, you will see an icon on the far right (I think) of the play/pause button. You can use the dpad on the tv remote to select it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sony XBR-65X900E / Sony STRDN1080 / Definitive Technology ProCinema 600 Series / Vizio P55-C1 / Vizio SB4031-D5 / DirecTV Genie (non-4K) / Apple TV 4 / Apple TV 4K / Roku Premiere+
Furyus is offline  
post #10569 of 19183 Old 01-06-2018, 08:04 AM
Senior Member
 
allencc3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 216
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by deano1979 View Post
Here are my settings Picture adjustments menu

Picture Mode: Cinema Home
Auto picture Mode: Off
Brightness: 10
Color: 48
Light Sensor: Off

Advanced settings menu

-- Brightness sub-menu
Brightness: 10
Contrast: 90
Gamma: 0
Black level: 50
Black adjust: Off
Auto Local Dimming: High
X-tended Dynamic Range: Low

-- Color sub-menu
Color: 48
Hue: 0
Color temperature: Neutral: R-Gain -3, G-Gain -2
Live Color: Low

Multi point (10p) [no changes]

-- Clarity sub-menu
Sharpness: 43
Reality Creation: Manual
Resolution: 45
Random noise reduction: Off
Digital noise reduction: Off
Smooth gradation: Off

-- Motion sub-menu
Motionflow: Smooth
CineMotion: High

-- Video options sub-menu
HDR mode: Auto
HDMI video range: Auto
Color space: Auto
Try the changes I made on the Cinema Home preset. Flip back and forth and let me know what you think, please.
allencc3 is offline  
post #10570 of 19183 Old 01-06-2018, 09:58 AM
Member
 
tubaman1000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 79
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaiden206 View Post
I noticed turning MotionFlow completely off and setting Cinemotion to Medium cleaned up judder on 1080p Netflix streams for me.

I tried doing research on the subject and noticed some people in the Sony A1E thread have also experienced this weird judder during pans when both MotionFlow and Cinemotion (Medium/High) are enabled. Their end conclusion was to use Cinemotion on Medium and then MotionFlow completely off. Hopefully that helps with your issue as well.
Thanks for the suggestion. So far, in observing different Netflix content with those settings, it doesn't eliminate the judder, but I did notice that having MotionFlow to some custom setting might smooth things out, but would introduce different jittery effects - so your suggestion to turn off Motionflow in those cases, was beneficial. It seems to be on a case by case, show by show basis. I'll keep experimenting...
tubaman1000 is offline  
post #10571 of 19183 Old 01-06-2018, 10:48 AM
Member
 
Anodyne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Angier, NC
Posts: 167
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
With the recent news of Warner Bros. joining the ever-increasing consortium of support around HDR10+, is there any news or word out of Sony about potential firmware updates in the future to add support to the 900e? And also, is it even possible with the hardware (regardless of whether or not they chose to add it)?
Anodyne is offline  
post #10572 of 19183 Old 01-06-2018, 11:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ricoflashback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Aurora, Colorado
Posts: 3,345
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1796 Post(s)
Liked: 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubaman1000 View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. So far, in observing different Netflix content with those settings, it doesn't eliminate the judder, but I did notice that having MotionFlow to some custom setting might smooth things out, but would introduce different jittery effects - so your suggestion to turn off Motionflow in those cases, was beneficial. It seems to be on a case by case, show by show basis. I'll keep experimenting...
I have Motionflow and Cinemotion turned off for both of my Sony 900E's. I believe they cause other problems in trying to compensate for what can't be compensated for.

Again, there are two main reasons for judder/stutter/bumblin/stumbin/rumblin on these Sony sets - 1) Your source signal 2) the way these 4K sets handle upconversion from your sources. I've never seen judder or stutter with a Bluray disc. My Comcast Cable feed is hit and miss some nights. My Netflix source is pristine and this is for both streaming and wired (I have a fast Internet connection).

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, BenQ W1080ST, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)
Ricoflashback is online now  
post #10573 of 19183 Old 01-06-2018, 11:12 AM
Member
 
vtpossum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by snorge View Post
I have yet to see any motion problems that were not source related on my set. I have Motionflow off and CineMotion set to high. I also have a 2 year old Sony 810C and the 900E seems to have improved on the great motion handling that model had.
I know turning off motion flow setting help but I am one of those who actually likes some motion interpolation, not to the extreme but some. As I mentioned, my 6 year old samsung which is also connected to the same type of cable tv box has never had issues with judder/studder/skip, etc and I have that tv set on the medium motion settings. That same tv does studder on some bluray movies though. I still love this tv but it should be able to handle motion better than a 6 year old mid level LCD tv. I have settled on motion on standard and cinemotion on high for bluray/4k movies and it does just fine but going to Smooth starts causing problems.

Sony 55X900E, Sony STR-DE635, Sony PS3, Samsung UBD-M7500
Samsung LN46D630
vtpossum is offline  
post #10574 of 19183 Old 01-06-2018, 11:42 AM
Senior Member
 
Elemental101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: A Sanctuary State, unfortunately
Posts: 227
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdog1 View Post
I did some additional testing with the different picture modes using an isolated clip from "Hell's Kitchen" which is constantly changing shots. Frame repeat/drop issue is visible on all modes with various forms of motion smoothing options enabled and disabled except the Photo Modes and Game Mode. I don't see the issue in the standard viewing modes when streaming from Netflix. Planet Earth II looks absolutely stunning. I really think it is a great set, but it looks like I got one with a glitch. Sounds like there may be some issues on some of the late year production models? I guess I can watch DirecTV content on the Game and Photo modes, but it seems a shame I can't enjoy the "normal" picture settings while watching sports and other "over the air" programs. Do you think I should start a claim with Sony to try for a replacement?
It must be your source.
Elemental101 is offline  
post #10575 of 19183 Old 01-06-2018, 12:31 PM
Newbie
 
jdog1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elemental101 View Post
It must be your source.
The same source shows fine on Game and Picture modes but not the standard settings? Seems like an issue with the internal video processing for HDMI on the sources which send 1080i, 720p, and 480p and 480i. I am proceeding with the claim to Sony to see if it is an isolated defective unit.
jdog1 is offline  
post #10576 of 19183 Old 01-06-2018, 12:40 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furyus View Post
If you watch through the TV app, you will see an icon on the far right (I think) of the play/pause button. You can use the dpad on the tv remote to select it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Great, and that will show stats as it pertains to the output? In this case, being my TV, or is it just about the source (sorry if my lingo is off. I'm trying to incorporate this stuff into my lexicon)?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
sparks_mandrill is offline  
post #10577 of 19183 Old 01-06-2018, 12:49 PM
Member
 
tubaman1000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 79
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post
I have Motionflow and Cinemotion turned off for both of my Sony 900E's. I believe they cause other problems in trying to compensate for what can't be compensated for.

Again, there are two main reasons for judder/stutter/bumblin/stumbin/rumblin on these Sony sets - 1) Your source signal 2) the way these 4K sets handle upconversion from your sources. I've never seen judder or stutter with a Bluray disc. My Comcast Cable feed is hit and miss some nights. My Netflix source is pristine and this is for both streaming and wired (I have a fast Internet connection).
Wow, you say your Netflix streaming is "pristine." I WISH I could say the same. I have 25mb/sec internet; I would think that would be plenty fast enough for 1080p Netflix streaming. Please look at the following example: Schitt's Creek, Season 2, Episode 1, at the 11:05 minute/second mark. When the scene with the open field appears, please focus on the vertical objects like the sign and the telephone pole. If you tell me you don't see any judder on those two objects, then all I have to say is I'm REALLY jealous of your TV, because with all motion settings turned off, I see judder like this throughout lots of Netflix streams (not always, but often).
tubaman1000 is offline  
post #10578 of 19183 Old 01-06-2018, 12:52 PM
Newbie
 
jdog1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdog1 View Post
The same source shows fine on Game and Picture modes but not the standard settings? Seems like an issue with the internal video processing for HDMI on the sources which send 1080i, 720p, and 480p and 480i. I am proceeding with the claim to Sony to see if it is an isolated defective unit.
Take a look the next time watching sports immediately after a shot change and let me know if anyone has a similar issue. Appreciate the feedback in advance.
jdog1 is offline  
post #10579 of 19183 Old 01-06-2018, 12:54 PM
Newbie
 
jdog1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdog1 View Post
Take a look the next time watching sports immediately after a shot change and let me know if anyone has a similar issue. Appreciate the feedback in advance.
Here is a youtube link showing the frame drop/repeat issue:

Let me know if anyone sees this after shot changes on sports/TV programs viewed on a set top box.
jdog1 is offline  
post #10580 of 19183 Old 01-06-2018, 01:22 PM
Newbie
 
deano1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thankyou,I?ll let you know how I get on?
deano1979 is offline  
post #10581 of 19183 Old 01-06-2018, 02:08 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Im using the IR Blaster to go through the Comcast Guide, but is it possible to manage my DVR using Sony remote as well, or am I just asking for too dang much in this day and age of technology?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
sparks_mandrill is offline  
post #10582 of 19183 Old 01-06-2018, 05:27 PM
Advanced Member
 
bradman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 736
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Things to remember are True Cinema only engages on 24p content, not cable/satellite. The cinemotion is meant to remove judder from 60hz source. Season to taste. These settings generally will have not have a negative impact on normal TV viewing. Try with both off and if movies in 24p or 24p sourced from 60hz have no judder, leave them off. Not gonna impact sports or live TV.
See judder during live sports, but not the commercials? Production or transmission issues are the culprit. There is a reason pro reviews of the set commend its' motion handling.
zaprosper likes this.
bradman is offline  
post #10583 of 19183 Old 01-06-2018, 05:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ricoflashback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Aurora, Colorado
Posts: 3,345
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1796 Post(s)
Liked: 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubaman1000 View Post
Wow, you say your Netflix streaming is "pristine." I WISH I could say the same. I have 25mb/sec internet; I would think that would be plenty fast enough for 1080p Netflix streaming. Please look at the following example: Schitt's Creek, Season 2, Episode 1, at the 11:05 minute/second mark. When the scene with the open field appears, please focus on the vertical objects like the sign and the telephone pole. If you tell me you don't see any judder on those two objects, then all I have to say is I'm REALLY jealous of your TV, because with all motion settings turned off, I see judder like this throughout lots of Netflix streams (not always, but often).
I looked at the scene you referenced and couldn't see any judder. It was somewhat out of focus and quite frankly, has the worst picture quality that I've ever seen on Netflix for any series. The camera work was also very herky jerky.

I wouldn't make any judgements on the Sony 900E based on this content, IMHO. I suspect a poor production or transfer or both.

It was produced by a company called "Not A Real Company Productions" - an appropo name if I've ever seen one.

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, BenQ W1080ST, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)

Last edited by Ricoflashback; 01-06-2018 at 05:57 PM.
Ricoflashback is online now  
post #10584 of 19183 Old 01-06-2018, 06:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ricoflashback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Aurora, Colorado
Posts: 3,345
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1796 Post(s)
Liked: 1271
I'm getting judder on the live NFL playoff game between the Rams and Falcons from my Comcast cable feed via NBC. The picture is spectacular, color and sharpness wise. When they switch to a commercial - surprise, no judder.

I didn't see any judder on the ABC production of the Chiefs & Titans game earlier today.

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, BenQ W1080ST, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)
Ricoflashback is online now  
post #10585 of 19183 Old 01-06-2018, 06:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
joshua goard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 1,678
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1305 Post(s)
Liked: 673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post
I'm getting judder on the live NFL playoff game between the Rams and Falcons from my Comcast cable feed via NBC. The picture is spectacular, color and sharpness wise. When they switch to a commercial - surprise, no judder.

I didn't see any judder on the ABC production of the Chiefs & Titans game earlier today.
I have directv and have 0 judder on the Rams and Falcons game.
bradman and Hetfieldjames like this.

Sony 75xZ9D connected to Panasonic UB820 and Nakamichi Shockwafe 7.1 Pro Atmos
Sony 55x900e
Sony 55xA1E
Sony 75x940e (Returned :-( bad motion blur)
Sony 75x900e, Sony 75x940d, Sony 55x930d, 55x810c, Sony 55x850c (All retired)
joshua goard is online now  
post #10586 of 19183 Old 01-06-2018, 06:38 PM
Member
 
tubaman1000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 79
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post
I looked at the scene you referenced and couldn't see any judder. It was somewhat out of focus and quite frankly, has the worst picture quality that I've ever seen on Netflix for any series. The camera work was also very herky jerky.

I wouldn't make any judgements on the Sony 900E based on this content, IMHO. I suspect a poor production or transfer or both.

It was produced by a company called "Not A Real Company Productions" - an appropo name if I've ever seen one.
Thanks for taking the time to view this scene and report back, Ricoflashback. I wouldn't make any general claim about the 900e based on this scene; in fact, because of your experience of no judder here, and the fact that I see very blatant judder on the telephone pole and sign post as the camera pans on my 900e, this is just more evidence that one 900e panel can be very different from another.
tubaman1000 is offline  
post #10587 of 19183 Old 01-06-2018, 07:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ricoflashback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Aurora, Colorado
Posts: 3,345
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1796 Post(s)
Liked: 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua goard View Post
I have directv and have 0 judder on the Rams and Falcons game.
Yes, Comcast can be finicky at times. I had Directv for close to ten years until their bandwidth issues with three TV's and lack of customer support led me to Comcast. I even invested in a dish heater but with Comcast, I don't worry about snow or rain storms anymore.

Directv does have dedicated 4K channels and that's way ahead of Comcast. I wish there was a sports 4K streaming channel available via the Internet. I even checked into our Directv Ready 900E but that functionality is only available with a full blown system.

We're probably a minimum of 5 years away from any significant sports programming via cable. I'll be living somewhere in the Caribbean by then and hopefully U.S. packages will be available by then.

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, BenQ W1080ST, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)
Ricoflashback is online now  
post #10588 of 19183 Old 01-06-2018, 07:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ricoflashback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Aurora, Colorado
Posts: 3,345
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1796 Post(s)
Liked: 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubaman1000 View Post
Thanks for taking the time to view this scene and report back, Ricoflashback. I wouldn't make any general claim about the 900e based on this scene; in fact, because of your experience of no judder here, and the fact that I see very blatant judder on the telephone pole and sign post as the camera pans on my 900e, this is just more evidence that one 900e panel can be very different from another.
You are so correct - it can really vary based on source, provider, panel and even settings. If there's one constant about folks and their experiences with the Sony 900E it's that when the picture is really dialed in and no other hiccups are present -- it's a real joy to watch.

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, BenQ W1080ST, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)
Ricoflashback is online now  
post #10589 of 19183 Old 01-06-2018, 08:24 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua goard View Post
I haven't noticed a light ring either, but i don't have my brightness maxed out either...how could you with this set? Unless you just want to punish your retinas into submission...
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubaman1000 View Post
Wow, you say your Netflix streaming is "pristine." I WISH I could say the same. I have 25mb/sec internet; I would think that would be plenty fast enough for 1080p Netflix streaming. Please look at the following example: Schitt's Creek, Season 2, Episode 1, at the 11:05 minute/second mark. When the scene with the open field appears, please focus on the vertical objects like the sign and the telephone pole. If you tell me you don't see any judder on those two objects, then all I have to say is I'm REALLY jealous of your TV, because with all motion settings turned off, I see judder like this throughout lots of Netflix streams (not always, but often).
Hi, I tested this scene on the native Netflix app and the judder on the sign and telephone poles is terrible on my 65" if I have Motionflow to Off, True Cinema, Standard, or Clear. If I change it to Smooth the judder is gone, but this creates some soap opera effect, so it is frustrating when I hear other owners have no judder on scenes like this when all motion settings are set to off. My internet speed is 50/50, which should be more than capable of providing quality content.

I've also had some issues with motion while watching football, as the ball appears faded/ghosted. I am going to contact Sony this week and see what they suggest.

Last edited by cclocke; 01-06-2018 at 08:28 PM.
cclocke is offline  
post #10590 of 19183 Old 01-06-2018, 08:54 PM
Member
 
craiglc15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubaman1000 View Post
Wow, you say your Netflix streaming is "pristine." I WISH I could say the same. I have 25mb/sec internet; I would think that would be plenty fast enough for 1080p Netflix streaming. Please look at the following example: Schitt's Creek, Season 2, Episode 1, at the 11:05 minute/second mark. When the scene with the open field appears, please focus on the vertical objects like the sign and the telephone pole. If you tell me you don't see any judder on those two objects, then all I have to say is I'm REALLY jealous of your TV, because with all motion settings turned off, I see judder like this throughout lots of Netflix streams (not always, but often).
I checked out the scene. That is just motion judder inherent in the source. They were probably shooting at 24fps, and 24 fps is not fast enough to smoothly capture the pan across vertical objects. The judder looks the exact same on my plasma as it does my 75x900e. You'll start noticing it at the movie theater if you pay attention when the camera pans.
Mac128 likes this.
craiglc15 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
issues , motion , motionflow , problems , Sony , sound delay , x900e

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off