2017 Sony XBR 900E owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 369 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 40421Likes

post #11041 of 19436 Old 01-15-2018, 09:40 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by snorge View Post
I think it depends on the settings enabled within each mode. If you have it on Cinema Pro or Home and disable most of the extra processing it shouldn't be too much different than the default game mode. The processing is what adds to lag.
He rectified his post and stated that he meant "game" mode.

65" 900E Tee Vee | Denon 6300H AVR | PSA MTM-210s | PSA MTM-210c | PSA MTM-110s | Canton 880 InCeilings | Rythmik FV25HP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11042 of 19436 Old 01-15-2018, 09:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac128 View Post
Please tell us your secret. I have Developer settings enabled, and Background processes limited to 4, and still have lag, just when changing the volume. But that randomly resets, and I know it has when menus suddenly take a while to appear, or the volume indicator takes an abnormally long time to appear. And while much improved, streaming anything while adjusting video settings is an exercise in patience, as they lag behind adjustments and cause stuttering on the content. If you experience none of that, then you are the exception.
My parents probably wouldn't notice lag. I think a lot of people's opinions in here need first be put into perspective...

for instance, I am almost 40yo and have held jobs that need very good eyesight.. I am also a gamer who notices lag. I am on a computer 50% of my time, less if I can help it..

now, say jack Johnson, 56, works in logging comes in here and loves this TV because it is vibrant when he maxes out brightness and all settings

do you think both of us will have the same perspective?

IMO, Android on this TV is retarded. As with most TV's OS I have inspected. They work. But. they. work. slow. It's like bloatware and Samsung putting their own layers on top of Android and it slows it down.. I highly suggest looing into Roku(haven't tried it though I hear it is good) or Fire TV or I have the Shield and it works great on most stuff, but Google Play seems to limit 4k to no HDR.. or not yet anyways.. Every platform does something to benefit it's own platform. One great advantage to an external player, beyond the speed, is the ability to move to a different display and keep all your apps and everything set.

All in all, I think I am going to just buy a PC and connect it. Get a mouse and keyboard for near my recliner, and enjoy anything I want with enough processing power to stay relevant for years to come. Tv companies can keep their "Smart", i'll be looking for the best display.
post #11043 of 19436 Old 01-15-2018, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradman View Post
Yep, it has no use with SDR content. Blows out the whites, causes blooming.
I find XDR to almost force more color.. When watching football live, albeit 1080i, XDR looked ok on low. but I think it makes things look a bit fake.. glowing if put on high.. but yes all settings accounted for, things could be different for others..

CGI may look great with it though, GoG2 on high doesn't look bad, looks more vibrant..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11044 of 19436 Old 01-15-2018, 09:53 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexed1 View Post
My parents probably wouldn't notice lag. I think a lot of people's opinions in here need first be put into perspective...

for instance, I am almost 40yo and have held jobs that need very good eyesight.. I am also a gamer who notices lag. I am on a computer 50% of my time, less if I can help it..

now, say jack Johnson, 56, works in logging comes in here and loves this TV because it is vibrant when he maxes out brightness and all settings

do you think both of us will have the same perspective?

IMO, Android on this TV is retarded. As with most TV's OS I have inspected. They work. But. they. work. slow. It's like bloatware and Samsung putting their own layers on top of Android and it slows it down.. I highly suggest looing into Roku(haven't tried it though I hear it is good) or Fire TV or I have the Shield and it works great on most stuff, but Google Play seems to limit 4k to no HDR.. or not yet anyways.. Every platform does something to benefit it's own platform. One great advantage to an external player, beyond the speed, is the ability to move to a different display and keep all your apps and everything set.

All in all, I think I am going to just buy a PC and connect it. Get a mouse and keyboard for near my recliner, and enjoy anything I want with enough processing power to stay relevant for years to come. Tv companies can keep their "Smart", i'll be looking for the best display.
Yes, I agree. I have an Apple TV 4K for that very reason. I bought the 900E strictly for its picture. However, my point was that even moving all of my streaming digital media off the TV, and using it solely as monitor, there's still lag, just for the basic functions like volume -- to say nothing of the smart apps. But @snorge is saying he's using the built-in apps with no lag. So maybe he's a 56 year old logger who's maxed out his picture settings, but I doubt it. ;-)
post #11045 of 19436 Old 01-15-2018, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Yes, I agree. I have an Apple TV 4K for that very reason. I bought the 900E strictly for its picture. However, my point was that even moving all of my streaming digital media off the TV, and using it solely as monitor, there's still lag, just for the basic functions like volume -- to say nothing of the smart apps. But @snorge is saying he's using the built-in apps with no lag. So maybe he's a 56 year old logger who's maxed out his picture settings, but I doubt it. ;-)
LOL, i did not mean to sound like i was calling snorge that ... lol.. What i mean was, maybe his definition of lag is not the same as yours or mine.. maybe 200ms seems like 25ms to him.. yeah, volume on remote to TV is the only lag i have yet, unless i switch off Shield and use OTA TV . Then TV guide, basically anything on the TV's OS.

What lag are you speaking of? The switching between apps and volume lag, which is what i am speaking of. Or the lag when watching a movie on Netflix? If it's the latter, i wouldn't know because i do not use it, but i am willing to bet the TV runs Netflix and everything just fine with a proper internet speed.. we use 25mps here and it seems to suffice for all 4k HDR content i can find..
post #11046 of 19436 Old 01-15-2018, 10:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1884 Post(s)
Liked: 1333
I'm not sure if it's the updates or not, but last night, my hard wired internet connection did not work AND there were no channels associated with my OTA (external antenna).

The fix was to turn wi-fi back on, connect, and then turn wi-fi back off. Then, my hard wired internet connection worked fine.

I had to re-scan for all my OTA channels. Again, I do not know why this happened, but there it is.

Lastly - I'm continually amazed at the PQ with Netflix - - even HD. I was watching "The Frozen Dead" on Netflix last night and even streaming at a measly 3.54 mbps, the picture was outstanding as upscaled by the Sony 900E. Really stellar.

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, BenQ W1080ST, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)
post #11047 of 19436 Old 01-15-2018, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post
I'm not sure if it's the updates or not, but last night, my hard wired internet connection did not work AND there were no channels associated with my OTA (external antenna).

The fix was to turn wi-fi back on, connect, and then turn wi-fi back off. Then, my hard wired internet connection worked fine.

I had to re-scan for all my OTA channels. Again, I do not know why this happened, but there it is.

Lastly - I'm continually amazed at the PQ with Netflix - - even HD. I was watching "The Frozen Dead" on Netflix last night and even streaming at a measly 3.54 mbps, the picture was outstanding as upscaled by the Sony 900E. Really stellar.
sounds like it may have updated the software? did you not update it around November? when i first got mine, i didn't update because that idiot quantum apost, but when i did, i have to reprogram my OTA channels.. mine does power off from time to time, but i wondered if i was hitting a remote button or something.. usually fires up right away and doesn't reboot, but i think i have had a reboot twice in a few months so far.. does seem odd to just turn off at random times though.. If i didn't use the built in TV guide, i don't think i would even run internet/wifi on the TV itself, it's retarded.
post #11048 of 19436 Old 01-15-2018, 11:13 AM

Does one even need a TV with more than 60hz native to run Xbox one at it's full potential?

For instance, will a sony 720 55" look and perform just as well as a 900e, even though it is 60hz?

i was always under the impression this better motion rate helped with lag and whatnot, but isn't it just a matter of network speed (25mps) and then controller lag that helps with 1st person shooters?

i am so impressed with the cheaper TVs picture, i don't really know why i bought this one.. thought the 120hz(960) helped refresh the rate, which in turn helped you see things faster, but if Xbox only does 60fps, how is this TV any better for gaming than a 60hz?

movies and TV aside, what makes the 900e a better gaming display? I'm about to say f it and return this for something cheaper. The HDR is not what i expected and no matter what i do, it doesn't get bright enough without messing up blacks or causing blooming and white bars... so i thought i would keep if it truly was better at gaming, but the more i think and read about it, the more it doesn't make sense to even have 120hz for gaming on a console or even for watching movies (24p) or normal TV.. i used to think you got what you paid for, but adding a bell or whistle and adding 1/3 or 1/2 the cost to a TV seems ridiculous, especially when that said bell or whistle fails to disappoint.

don't get me wrong, this TV looks great with certain things, but shouldn't all of it look amazing on this TV?! I honestly get the same picture on a 1080p sony and i am not joking. What makes me laugh the most is to even get 120hz in gaming, it has to be in 1080p! and i assume only with PC games.. so in affect, this display is meant to hook a PC up to?
post #11049 of 19436 Old 01-15-2018, 11:27 AM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Does one even need a TV with more than 60hz native to run Xbox one at it's full potential?

For instance, will a sony 720 55" look and perform just as well as a 900e, even though it is 60hz?

i was always under the impression this better motion rate helped with lag and whatnot, but isn't it just a matter of network speed (25mps) and then controller lag that helps with 1st person shooters?

i am so impressed with the cheaper TVs picture, i don't really know why i bought this one.. thought the 120hz(960) helped refresh the rate, which in turn helped you see things faster, but if Xbox only does 60fps, how is this TV any better for gaming than a 60hz?

movies and TV aside, what makes the 900e a better gaming display? I'm about to say f it and return this for something cheaper. The HDR is not what i expected and no matter what i do, it doesn't get bright enough without messing up blacks or causing blooming and white bars... so i thought i would keep if it truly was better at gaming, but the more i think and read about it, the more it doesn't make sense to even have 120hz for gaming on a console or even for watching movies (24p) or normal TV.. i used to think you got what you paid for, but adding a bell or whistle and adding 1/3 or 1/2 the cost to a TV seems ridiculous, especially when that said bell or whistle fails to disappoint.

don't get me wrong, this TV looks great with certain things, but shouldn't all of it look amazing on this TV?! I honestly get the same picture on a 1080p sony and i am not joking. What makes me laugh the most is to even get 120hz in gaming, it has to be in 1080p! and i assume only with PC games.. so in affect, this display is meant to hook a PC up to?
If you think the 900E is no better than that older TV...something is really wrong!
post #11050 of 19436 Old 01-15-2018, 11:28 AM

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by convergent View Post
Just bought an XBR55X900E to replace my 9 year old Sony 46". I debated quite a bit whether to get the LG
OLED55C7P. Went back and forth in Best Buy looking at them and just didn't see enough difference to justify the 50% greater cost... both being on pre Super Bowl sales. I was a little nervous about burn in because we this TV stays on quite a bit on the same channels. But when comparing the blacks and viewing angles in the store I couldn't honestly tell the difference with both playing the Dark Knight movie. I also felt the motion on the Sony was smoother. This is our first 4K TV and its amazing to fit a 55" TV in the "hole" above the fire place that barely fit an old 46". Very, very happy.
Glad i read this being in the 14 day return period i got a good chunk of change back really loving this tv now.
post #11051 of 19436 Old 01-15-2018, 11:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Saturday was the day, my new XBR75X900E arrived. This was replacing a 2011 KDL60NX720.
So far, I am enjoying the set. I do need some help regarding pic settings though. I have been reading the forum and am looking at the spreadsheet which was diligently put together.

Tv is setup in the basement in light controlled environment. no windows and the lights are on a dimmer switch.
So far, I have had limited time playing with this set and am hoping to have good starting point from a member who views in a similar environment.

The main things I cannot stand are Judder and Soap opera Effect.
Which settings tame these the most.

Thank you
post #11052 of 19436 Old 01-15-2018, 11:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
LOL, i did not mean to sound like i was calling snorge that ... lol.. What i mean was, maybe his definition of lag is not the same as yours or mine.. maybe 200ms seems like 25ms to him.. yeah, volume on remote to TV is the only lag i have yet, unless i switch off Shield and use OTA TV . Then TV guide, basically anything on the TV's OS.

What lag are you speaking of? The switching between apps and volume lag, which is what i am speaking of. Or the lag when watching a movie on Netflix? If it's the latter, i wouldn't know because i do not use it, but i am willing to bet the TV runs Netflix and everything just fine with a proper internet speed.. we use 25mps here and it seems to suffice for all 4k HDR content i can find..
I don't know what you mean by lag when watching a movie on Netflix. I have 30Mbps downstream Internet. The built-in Netflix does run just fine, until you try to adjust picture. Then there's a lag with launching the menus, and sometimes stutter with the movie. This is a certainty when watching an Amazon 4K HDR movie. Again, this is the overall problem with the TV, interface lag, which can be really frustrating when you're just trying to relax. What's even worse is a lag on top of Sony forcing most minor adjustments, like just switching picture mode, through a gauntlet of sluggish nested menus.

Quote:

I've never had to rescan OTA channels after an update. What's the current OS version? I show my last update on Oct. 26, 3.10.79, version 7.0, 8/1 security patch, NRD91N.S101
post #11053 of 19436 Old 01-15-2018, 11:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redoryx View Post
Saturday was the day, my new XBR75X900E arrived. This was replacing a 2011 KDL60NX720.
So far, I am enjoying the set. I do need some help regarding pic settings though. I have been reading the forum and am looking at the spreadsheet which was diligently put together.

Tv is setup in the basement in light controlled environment. no windows and the lights are on a dimmer switch.
So far, I have had limited time playing with this set and am hoping to have good starting point from a member who views in a similar environment.

Thank you
Depends on your source. What kinds of programming do you watch and from what sources? You may want to set up different picture modes with different motion settings to address judder from different sources, particularly 24p movies, vs. 60Hz live sports.

Last edited by Mac128; 01-15-2018 at 11:49 AM.
post #11054 of 19436 Old 01-15-2018, 11:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Depends on your source. What kinds of programming do you watch and from what sources?
Cable TV via STB
-this includes the regular dramas and some live Hockey games.

Everything else is through the Xbox one X
Netflix,
Bluray
4K Bluray
Amazon Prime
Gaming

pretty simple vs what a lot of other members have.
post #11055 of 19436 Old 01-15-2018, 12:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Cable TV via STB

Netflix,
Bluray
4K Bluray
Amazon Prime
Gaming

You have at least 4 different motion settings there:

1) Sports
2) Cable
3) Movies
4) Games

For movies I'd turn all motion settings off, and try the native 24p.

For Cable, you might turn on True Cinema, and Cinemotion. It works fine for me, but you may need something more robust.

For sports and games, I'd turn off Cinemotion, and experiment with custom motion settings to suit your taste.

Motion is all subject to individual taste. So unfortunately, just like picture settings, there's no perfect motion setting that's going to work for everyone.

Last edited by Mac128; 01-15-2018 at 12:41 PM.
post #11056 of 19436 Old 01-15-2018, 12:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Cable TV via STB

Netflix,
Bluray
4K Bluray
Amazon Prime
Gaming

Do you have an AVR in between? HDMI 2 In (Sony 900E) for cable and HDMI 3 In (Sony 900E) for Xbox One? How are you getting your audio?

The reason I ask is that Xbox One does have Netflix with Dolby Atmos (compressed via DD+) but I have an older, non compliant HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 AVR and from everything I've seen, Xbox One does NOT have a separate HDMI audio out where you could split the video to your TV and your audio to your AVR.

Regarding judder - looked at "Advanced Settings" under "Clarity" and "Motion" and make sure everything is "OFF." You can still get judder from live sports telecasts or the occasional Sony 900E upscaling hiccup.

Try the "Light Sensor" on - I find in a darker environment, the picture is too bright. With my "Standard" adjustments, the picture is beautiful. In our bedroom with light directly behind our smaller 49" 900E (versus the 75" in the darker man cave) - the "Light Sensor" is off.

Home Theater Setup
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
post #11057 of 19436 Old 01-15-2018, 12:59 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 7133 Post(s)
Liked: 7175
Quote:
But that’s the conundrum - the inability to save calibrated settings or any settings for that matter. A huge design error, IMHO.

And, even if you pay for a calibration, how do system updates affect any saved or calibrated settings? How can you lock in what is a moving target?
A good calibrator will have your setting for you, or you need to write them down. Setting can be lost for many reasons, play it safe
secondhand1 likes this.
post #11058 of 19436 Old 01-15-2018, 01:00 PM
Advanced Member

Thank you,
I have an AVR running between the STB and the TV into HDMI3. I have the Xbox piped into HDMI2 directly and having the TV ARC the sound back to the receiver
Yamaha RX-A2030 (upgrade coming later this year). I do not have Atmos speakers.....yet.
My plan is to use the Receiver as the backbone, TV as the monitor only.
post #11059 of 19436 Old 01-15-2018, 01:23 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I'm having a strange issue with my 900e:

Everytime I turned it on the screen "blinks", the only way I have to fix it is to switch to the tuner and then come back to the hdmi source. This also happen on the menu so I don't think it's a problem with my AVR (Denon 2300).

Has anyone experience anything similar ?
post #11060 of 19436 Old 01-15-2018, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Everytime I load up the youtube app it signs me out of my youtube account and I can't sign back in. Anyone know a fix?
post #11061 of 19436 Old 01-15-2018, 01:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentRage47 View Post
I'm having a strange issue with my 900e:

Everytime I turned it on the screen "blinks", the only way I have to fix it is to switch to the tuner and then come back to the hdmi source. This also happen on the menu so I don't think it's a problem with my AVR (Denon 2300).

Has anyone experience anything similar ?

Could be the hdmi cable.

You can call me Sheila.
post #11062 of 19436 Old 01-15-2018, 02:22 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Anyone doing any sort of specific settings for watching UHD's from their Xbox?

I keep it in game mode whether I'm playing a game (1080p since I only have an Xbox One S) or watching UHD's. All Clarity settings are set to Off. Under Motion, I have Motionflow set to True Cinema and CineMotion set to High.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
post #11063 of 19436 Old 01-15-2018, 03:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
A good calibrator will have your setting for you, or you need to write them down. Setting can be lost for many reasons, play it safe
Even if you saved your settings in a vaulted crypt surrounded by armed guards, 24 X 7, my main point is what will system updates do to any calibration since it's like a balance sheet - - a point in time?

Do Sony updates affect the core processing, tone mapping or any algorithms that are "calibrated" by the calibrator?

Home Theater Setup
post #11064 of 19436 Old 01-15-2018, 05:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Xbox One X Afficionado's -

I'm not sure how this works so please bear with me.

My goal is to have Netflix streaming of Dolby Atmos soundtracks and a better (hopefully) 4K/HDR Bluray Player than my Samsung K8500 unit.

I have Comcast Cable via Sony input HDMI 3. I use ARC for "native" streaming apps. HDMI 2 Sony 900E input for my rarely used Samsung K8500 player.

Would it be easier to have my Comcast Cable from my older AVR (non HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2) go into the Sony TV HDMI 2 "In" and have the Sony TV 3 "In" for a new Xbox One X or,

... is it easier just to run everything through the XBox One X (including my cable TV) and the HDMI "Out" from my AVR to the Xbox One X? I'm not sure if running my cable box through the Xbox One X degrades the picture quality or complicates things. If I separate it out - clean separation with cable on HDMI 2 and Xbox One X (Netflix streaming and Bluray 4K/HDR) on HDMI 3 of the Sony 900E.

I hope I haven't confused anybody and this will be on the final exam.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	XBox One X.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	2346214  

Home Theater Setup
post #11065 of 19436 Old 01-15-2018, 06:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
I find XDR to almost force more color.. When watching football live, albeit 1080i, XDR looked ok on low. but I think it makes things look a bit fake.. glowing if put on high.. but yes all settings accounted for, things could be different for others..

CGI may look great with it though, GoG2 on high doesn't look bad, looks more vibrant..
It enhances white level to simulate the brightness of HDR, when used with SR content. Notice that it is set to max automatically with HDR signals.
That enhancement will effect how some colors look to be sure, and also lose you a lot of detail in bright scenes, again with SDR content.
post #11066 of 19436 Old 01-15-2018, 06:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thank you
The two settings are Motionflow and Cinemotion. Unless you will be viewing 24p content (movies on disc or some streaming options), leave these off.
For set it and forget it purposes, use True Cinema for motionflow, as it will only engage on 24p content. Cinemotion on high with this setting will remove any judder from 24p.
post #11067 of 19436 Old 01-15-2018, 06:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks_mandrill View Post
Anyone doing any sort of specific settings for watching UHD's from their Xbox?

I keep it in game mode whether I'm playing a game (1080p since I only have an Xbox One S) or watching UHD's. All Clarity settings are set to Off. Under Motion, I have Motionflow set to True Cinema and CineMotion set to High.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
I would have MF and CM off for gaming. The TVs auto picture mode is actually good at detecting the content played. Try the auto24p setting, which should change to Cinema Home when watching a movie.
Then you can set C-Home how you want for movies, and Game for your games.This is working well for me atm, switching from C-Pro to C-Home, to Game across different inputs and devices. I used to leave it off, but now I like it.
post #11068 of 19436 Old 01-15-2018, 07:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Xbox One X Afficionado's -

I'm not sure how this works so please bear with me.

My goal is to have Netflix streaming of Dolby Atmos soundtracks and a better (hopefully) 4K/HDR Bluray Player than my Samsung K8500 unit.

I have Comcast Cable via Sony input HDMI 3. I use ARC for "native" streaming apps. HDMI 2 Sony 900E input for my rarely used Samsung K8500 player.

Would it be easier to have my Comcast Cable from my older AVR (non HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2) go into the Sony TV HDMI 2 "In" and have the Sony TV 3 "In" for a new Xbox One X or,

... is it easier just to run everything through the XBox One X (including my cable TV) and the HDMI "Out" from my AVR to the Xbox One X? I'm not sure if running my cable box through the Xbox One X degrades the picture quality or complicates things. If I separate it out - clean separation with cable on HDMI 2 and Xbox One X (Netflix streaming and Bluray 4K/HDR) on HDMI 3 of the Sony 900E.

I hope I haven't confused anybody and this will be on the final exam.
If the AVR doesn't pass 4K/HDR, then run two separates into the set, and ARC everything. You're not getting hi-res lossless audio anyway. The sole advantage to running it all through the X, is it has cable box-like features you might like. Otherwise HDMI 2 and 3, ARC back into the AVR. At its' price point,an extra HDMI out for audio only would have been nice on the X.
Ricoflashback likes this.
post #11069 of 19436 Old 01-15-2018, 07:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked: 782
I am looking for some help with settings. I have a Vizio P65 with issues and debating getting a 65X900E. My wife has a 55X900E so I have been going back and forth with comparisons. I have posted in this thread and the Vizio thread for a little while now. While the Vizio does not go as bright as the Sony, its dark/black performance is extremely good. The issue I have is th Vizio dialed in easily, the Sony is more work. I have posted that my main concern is black performance. Scenes where the are large black sections near the left side of the screen, but have nearby bright areas seem to cause what looks like light clouding along the left 1-3 inches of the screen. The most obvious example of of this is in Punisher episode 12 near the last 15 minutes there is a long dream sequence where Frank is with his wife in a dark background room on a white bed. Any time there is supposed to,be say 2-5 inches of black along the left you see hazy light and grayish instead.

I have tried Custom, Cinema Pro and Cinema Home, all have it. I have tri d advanced contrast enhancement off, Black level high, Local dimming is high, and extended range is default of high with HDR. Been turning down brightness hike helpful does not get rid of it. I can’t find a settings thread and it seems there are sporadic postings here with info. I was wondering if anyone has their X900E calibrated that might share where the settings landed, or at least what settings by eye dialed in the X900E a bit better.

Thanks.

LG 77 C9 (Also LG 65 C7 and Sony XBR55X900E)
Denon x7200WA
Oppo BD-203
Klipsch RP-280F / RC-62ii / RP-140SA / RS-35 / RS-25
Dual PSA V1800s
post #11070 of 19436 Old 01-15-2018, 08:01 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by kluken View Post
I am looking for some help with settings. I have a Vizio P65 with issues and debating getting a 65X900E. My wife has a 55X900E so I have been going back and forth with comparisons. I have posted in this thread and the Vizio thread for a little while now. While the Vizio does not go as bright as the Sony, its dark/black performance is extremely good. The issue I have is th Vizio dialed in easily, the Sony is more work. I have posted that my main concern is black performance. Scenes where the are large black sections near the left side of the screen, but have nearby bright areas seem to cause what looks like light clouding along the left 1-3 inches of the screen. The most obvious example of of this is in Punisher episode 12 near the last 15 minutes there is a long dream sequence where Frank is with his wife in a dark background room on a white bed. Any time there is supposed to,be say 2-5 inches of black along the left you see hazy light and grayish instead.

I have tried Custom, Cinema Pro and Cinema Home, all have it. I have tri d advanced contrast enhancement off, Black level high, Local dimming is high, and extended range is default of high with HDR. Been turning down brightness hike helpful does not get rid of it. I can’t find a settings thread and it seems there are sporadic postings here with info. I was wondering if anyone has their X900E calibrated that might share where the settings landed, or at least what settings by eye dialed in the X900E a bit better.

Thanks.
See my auto-signature and Post # 10997 for a spreadsheet with tons of settings

Sony XBR-##X900E Picture Settings Summary spreadsheet
Vizio 2015 M-series Picture Settings Summary spreadsheet
Sony XBR-65X900E | Vizio M65-C1 | Yamaha TSR-7790BL AVR | DirecTV HR54-700 Genie | DirecTV C61K-700 4K Genie Minis | Roku Streaming Stick+ | XBox One Elite | AppleTV Gen 3 | Panasonic Blu-ray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
issues , motion , motionflow , problems , Sony , sound delay , x900e

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page