2017 Sony XBR 900E owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 384 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 40378Likes

post #11491 of 19137 Old 01-22-2018, 09:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by omston View Post
Hey everybody on our little corner of the internet Stranger Things isn't working in HDR using the built in app can anybody verify this? On all of the other HDR programs i'm getting the grey flash and verified it was on in the pic settings. Also my remote became inoperable for about five minutes is this normal operating procedure on some occasions maybe updating or something?
Yesterday, I started the 1st episode of season 4 of Black Mirror (the Star Trek episode) on the built in app.
I think the HDR flag was activated but it didn't look like anything special.
I don't know what the deal is with the built in. It may limit bandwidth. One thing I like about it is when you press display, it tells you what resolution and bandwidth it is pushing.

Anyway, I finished the episode on my Xbox One X Netflix and it looked 100% better. More colorful, brighter, more detail.
Maybe the picture settings weren't the same but I wouldn't expect that much difference.

To get back to your question, if you have any other way to view 4k HDR Netflix, give that a try.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11492 of 19137 Old 01-22-2018, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdroid View Post
Actually I have the manufacture date on my box
I will check mine tonight. I do not see that bright band unless I move my viewing angle way off-axis.
post #11493 of 19137 Old 01-22-2018, 09:56 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by ursa99 View Post
If the game was on Fox, then it is broadcast in 720p. I,ve noticed they seem to do edge enhancement in their sports broadcasts possibly causing the effect you & I too see. I do NOT see it on CBS games in 1080p. Turn sharpness way down should help...hopefully some day Fox gets into this century and off of 720p broadcasts.

Ursa
Once the Disney sale goes through, FOX should probably use the capital investment to do a lot of improvements to FOX (not to mention the windfall they're getting from the recent tax reforms which they will surely re-invest in their infrastructure ... right? ;-), as the stated goal is to focus on Sports and News programming. They've given up all the regional Sports channels, so now everything can be focused on a next generation Sports broadcast service.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11494 of 19137 Old 01-22-2018, 10:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked: 512
Just ordered an X900E on Friday from ABT and I am really looking forward to getting it and hopefully it will be this week! I did alot of research on it and it has everything I am looking for in a tv. I'm coming from a curved Samsung 4K tv and it just wasnt cutting for me. Cant wait to get it.

post #11495 of 19137 Old 01-22-2018, 10:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1790 Post(s)
Liked: 1267
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWBoston View Post
No regret here. We have the 65" 900E and the Xbox One X and it looks fantastic. My son plays a lot of SW Battlefront and SW Battlefront II and he hasn't complained about input lag. We put the TV in game mode with the calibration settings from the Xbox and it looks amazing.

We also bought the Onkyo SBT-A500 soundbar system and it sounds really good with Atmos enabled on the Xbox One X.
If the Xbox One only had a separate audio hdmi connection, I'd look at buying it for Netflix Dolby Atmos alone. To me, that's a huge mistake and a market they are missing out on.

Maybe Netflix will provide Dolby Atmos via Roku or something else besides Xbox One or a 2017 LG OLED TV. I'm sure the almighty dollar has something to do with Netflix Dolby Atmos hardware requirements.

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, BenQ W1080ST, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)
post #11496 of 19137 Old 01-22-2018, 10:28 AM

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by hailjack View Post
Stranger Things not in HDR via Roku Ultra either. Must be something on their end...

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

I believe only Season 2 was in HDR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sony XBR-65X900E / Sony STRDN1080 / Definitive Technology ProCinema 600 Series / Vizio P55-C1 / Vizio SB4031-D5 / DirecTV Genie (non-4K) / Apple TV 4 / Apple TV 4K / Roku Premiere+
post #11497 of 19137 Old 01-22-2018, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just picked up the 75" X900E last week. I've been watching a lot of demos and show clips and such, and been very pleased with the picture so far (just on the built-in settings) without delving into the adjustments yet.

However, I am running an NVidia Shield into it, and no matter what source material I have tried, I never see the "HDR" tag show up on the picture settings page like I am seeing in the screenshots here. I tried many Youtube demos labeled as "4K HDR", and also a few shows on NF, like Stranger Things, which should be in HDR. Also, on the Youtube app "Stats for Nerds" page, should something show up there to indicate an HDR stream?

Also, when I am watching a supposed HDR stream, I can go into the picture settings and switch from "Auto" to "Off" and nothing happens. Any idea what I am doing wrong, or if there is an issue with the set? I don't see any information in the manual about this, which I thought was quite lacking.

Thanks!
post #11498 of 19137 Old 01-22-2018, 11:03 AM

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac128 View Post
Care to share where it's located on the box?
On the side
post #11499 of 19137 Old 01-22-2018, 11:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by circusfreak View Post
Just picked up the 75" X900E last week. I've been watching a lot of demos and show clips and such, and been very pleased with the picture so far (just on the built-in settings) without delving into the adjustments yet.

However, I am running an NVidia Shield into it, and no matter what source material I have tried, I never see the "HDR" tag show up on the picture settings page like I am seeing in the screenshots here. I tried many Youtube demos labeled as "4K HDR", and also a few shows on NF, like Stranger Things, which should be in HDR. Also, on the Youtube app "Stats for Nerds" page, should something show up there to indicate an HDR stream?

Also, when I am watching a supposed HDR stream, I can go into the picture settings and switch from "Auto" to "Off" and nothing happens. Any idea what I am doing wrong, or if there is an issue with the set? I don't see any information in the manual about this, which I thought was quite lacking.

Thanks!
You set your HDMI inputs to "enhanced" right?
post #11500 of 19137 Old 01-22-2018, 11:59 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6574 Post(s)
Liked: 6570
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post
I am really looking forward to getting it and hopefully it will be this week! I did alot of research on it and it has everything I am looking for in a tv. I'm coming from a curved Samsung 4K tv and it just wasnt cutting for me. Cant wait to get it.

I am sure you will notice with your eye's a nice upgrade...
post #11501 of 19137 Old 01-22-2018, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Scott View Post
You set your HDMI inputs to "enhanced" right?
Ah, I had to look up how to do this, but now I see HDR in Netflix. Not sure why they decided to just do it on 2 & 3 though. You'd think "HDMI 1" would be a logical position for a port with full functionality.

BUT, I still am not able to see anything in the Youtube app no matter what videos I choose. Does anyone have any links to videos which for sure have HDR enabled and you can see the HDR tag pop up? I even found some with "HDR10" in the title, but no dice.

Thanks!
post #11502 of 19137 Old 01-22-2018, 12:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked: 558
Quote:
Ah, I had to look up how to do this, but now I see HDR in Netflix. Not sure why they decided to just do it on 2 & 3 though. You'd think "HDMI 1" would be a logical position for a port with full functionality.

BUT, I still am not able to see anything in the Youtube app no matter what videos I choose. Does anyone have any links to videos which for sure have HDR enabled and you can see the HDR tag pop up? I even found some with "HDR10" in the title, but no dice.

Thanks!
The native Youtube app is not capable of streaming HDR, nor on the Shield.

Sony XBR55X900E
Marantz SR7010/Marantz MM7025
Oppo UDP-203 - Nvidia Shield
XBox One X
Klipsch RP-260f - RP-440C - RP140sa- RP-160m - RB10 - Sony SA-WM500
post #11503 of 19137 Old 01-22-2018, 01:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks!
Cost savings is my bet. Cheaper to manufacture with 2 standard ports and 2 enhanced ports. I agree... I wish they made all the ports enhanced. In my case I would also have liked to choose assigning the ARC channel to any HDMI port. As in my setup, I have had to sacrifice the ARC functionality using HDMI because I have used up both enhanced ports for 4K devices, one being the HDMI3/ARC input. I had to run an optical cable back to my receiver instead and have lost Dolby Digital + capability.

For HDR in youtube, you will need something other than the built-in app on the TV. Sony fell asleep at the wheel on these aspects if you ask me.
post #11504 of 19137 Old 01-22-2018, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove93 View Post
The native Youtube app is not capable of streaming HDR, nor on the Shield.
Well, this is super lame! I bought the Shield because "The built-in Youtube app on the Sony will not do HDR...you'll need a separate streaming box". (First of all, an HDR TV with a baked in video app that can't do HDR? REALLY?) And I even looked at the Shield's website, which has this page:

Click image for larger version

Name:	HDR.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	253.2 KB
ID:	2349804

NO asterisk, nothing. Have to go to the forums and search for the fact that what NVidia really meant is "HDR available on only 3 out of this large list of apps).

So now, I guess I need ANOTHER way to try getting Youtube HDR working. What is the cheapest / best solution? Chromecast Ultra? Roku ultra? I want to keep the Shield for Plex or HDHR DVR functionality though, so I guess I will be running 2 streaming boxes, ugh.

Thanks.
post #11505 of 19137 Old 01-22-2018, 02:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked: 558
Nowhere in that picture does it say YouTube HDR, but that's besides the point. The Shield was released before VP9 Profile 2 was released, and therefore is a hardware limitation.

Considering what is now being discovered regarding Dolby Vision and the possibility of the Mediatec chips found in these displays not being powerful enough to handle the format, coupled with a night and day difference regarding the performance of Android TV between the Shield and current crop of Sony Displays, I'm not expecting HDR for YouTube any time soon.

I, like many others have purchased a Chromecast Ultra to suppliment this lack of a format on apps such as YouTube and Google Play Movies.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Sony XBR55X900E
Marantz SR7010/Marantz MM7025
Oppo UDP-203 - Nvidia Shield
XBox One X
Klipsch RP-260f - RP-440C - RP140sa- RP-160m - RB10 - Sony SA-WM500
post #11506 of 19137 Old 01-22-2018, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I bought a Samsung m7500 player. Not only can I play my disc's now it also fixed the vudu Hdr issue chromecast has and has YouTube in hdr as well. It's pretty cheap.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
post #11507 of 19137 Old 01-22-2018, 02:17 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furyus View Post
I believe only Season 2 was in HDR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ahh. I was under the impression that the built-in Netflix app won't do HDR at all. But I have only watched Season 1 so far. I will have to check this out again, but it seems to me that other HDR titles were also not turning on the HDR settings.

Just as frustrating, the Netflix app for PS4 turns on HDR on EVERY title, which is crazier yet....What the heck Netflix?!?!?!

The Amazon Prime app on the PS4 won't do HDR, but the app on the TV does....there should be standards for this type of thing....so frustrating.
post #11508 of 19137 Old 01-22-2018, 03:41 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 2
So, I had bought the this tv and played with it for a while then had to leave on business trip. I been reading some of these post and saw that people are complaining about the 1"band of light on the side. I have that also, I didn't know it was defect so now I'm kind of bummed. It does bug me so I think I'm going to call Sony as I'm past the return window, what is the process like when dealing with sony?
post #11509 of 19137 Old 01-22-2018, 04:48 PM

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Hey all, I’ve enjoyed reading through much of this thread in anticipation of my 55X900E, which arrives tomorrow. Quick question, I am upgrading from a 2007 KDL-40V3000 which I have wall mounted on a swiveling mount, should I be able to reuse the same wall mount and hardware? Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #11510 of 19137 Old 01-22-2018, 05:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac128 View Post
I watch my TV at about a 30 degree off axis position, both to the left and below. I do notice more pronounced blooming from that position, most notably on spinning menu graphics while a movie is buffering. However, during normal program viewing, it's not really even notable, unless I'm looking for it. The black room in STRANGER THINGS looks fantastic from this position, even though I can see the difference if I move dead center.
You are right it's not really noticeable on most content but on solid backgrounds with just a graphic or two on them it is very pronounced depending on the brightness. I am probably testing at greater than a 30 degree angle though. I've just been nitpicking and testing everything possible before my return period is up at the end of the month lol.
post #11511 of 19137 Old 01-22-2018, 05:12 PM

Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Well, this is super lame! I bought the Shield because "The built-in Youtube app on the Sony will not do HDR...you'll need a separate streaming box". (First of all, an HDR TV with a baked in video app that can't do HDR? REALLY?) And I even looked at the Shield's website, which has this page:

Attachment 2349804

NO asterisk, nothing. Have to go to the forums and search for the fact that what NVidia really meant is "HDR available on only 3 out of this large list of apps).

So now, I guess I need ANOTHER way to try getting Youtube HDR working. What is the cheapest / best solution? Chromecast Ultra? Roku ultra? I want to keep the Shield for Plex or HDHR DVR functionality though, so I guess I will be running 2 streaming boxes, ugh.

Thanks.
The cheapest would be a chromecast ultra at $70. Obviously it's completely up to you if you think paying an additional $70 to get HDR content on youtube (which is very limited anyway) is worth it. Of course, chromecast ultra does open up additional benefits to get HDR content via Vudu and Google Play, both of which do not play 4k/HDR content natively on the x900.

LG OLED55C7P | Vizio M65‑E0 | Sony UBP-X700 | Apple TV 4K | Pioneer VSX-1121
post #11512 of 19137 Old 01-22-2018, 05:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omston View Post
My only gripes about this set are it doesn't seem like the sharpness slider does much. I guess that's why you pay extra for the chip in the other ones. Also i wish the remote had a contour or taper so you could tell by feel if you've got the right end pointed at the tv in the dark.
I think it depends on the content. I find the sharpness adjustment does a lot on crappy cable channels. Do you have reality creation enabled? I think that effects the sharpness as well.
post #11513 of 19137 Old 01-22-2018, 05:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Schiller View Post
Yesterday, I started the 1st episode of season 4 of Black Mirror (the Star Trek episode) on the built in app.
I think the HDR flag was activated but it didn't look like anything special.
I don't know what the deal is with the built in. It may limit bandwidth. One thing I like about it is when you press display, it tells you what resolution and bandwidth it is pushing.

Anyway, I finished the episode on my Xbox One X Netflix and it looked 100% better. More colorful, brighter, more detail.
Maybe the picture settings weren't the same but I wouldn't expect that much difference.

To get back to your question, if you have any other way to view 4k HDR Netflix, give that a try.
Interesting. I've been watching Black Mirror and wasn't impressed with HDR either using the built in Netflix app. I figured this particular show just doesn't make much use of it. Now I need to find something else I can try it on.
post #11514 of 19137 Old 01-22-2018, 05:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdroid View Post
On the side
The US boxes have a different label. No way to see it on ours.
post #11515 of 19137 Old 01-22-2018, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove93 View Post
Nowhere in that picture does it say YouTube HDR, but that's besides the point. The Shield was released before VP9 Profile 2 was released, and therefore is a hardware limitation.

Considering what is now being discovered regarding Dolby Vision and the possibility of the Mediatec chips found in these displays not being powerful enough to handle the format, coupled with a night and day difference regarding the performance of Android TV between the Shield and current crop of Sony Displays, I'm not expecting HDR for YouTube any time soon.

I, like many others have purchased a Chromecast Ultra to suppliment this lack of a format on apps such as YouTube and Google Play Movies.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
I agree it doesn't say anywhere "Youtube HDR" but it should have at least had an asterisk with exceptions as products usually do. When I see Youtube in the list of apps, and then "Get all the movies, TV shows, music, and games you’ll ever need. The smoothest 4K HDR video", it leads me to believe it streams everything...and does HDR for what it does stream. I'd just like it to me be more specific, as this stuff is clearly not obvious.

Not to say that I am bummed I bought the Shield though. It's waaaay smoother and faster than the built-in android on this TV. And I should be able to run a full fledged DVR on it to replace my aging Media Center PC, which is also a huge bonus. I was just wishing it was going to be the all-in-one box! But at this point, an extra $70 is not going to be a big deal.

Thanks.
Madmax67 likes this.
post #11516 of 19137 Old 01-22-2018, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorge View Post
Interesting. I've been watching Black Mirror and wasn't impressed with HDR either using the built in Netflix app. I figured this particular show just doesn't make much use of it. Now I need to find something else I can try it on.
I wonder if the built-in Netflix app does anything different with HDR than it does on the Shield. I watched that first episode (Star Trek one) of Black Mirror on the Shield (once I finally got the correct HDMI port configured) and I was pretty darn impressed. I switched back and forth between HDR on/off and the HDR version was much much better. Colors just popped and it just had much more depth.

I also watched parts of "Bright" and was similarly wowed at the difference...at least in certain scenes. Especially the final showdown scene I watched on/off and the color and contrast were great in HDR.
post #11517 of 19137 Old 01-22-2018, 05:47 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
dead pixels?

Hi all,

I just got the sony 65xbr900e and notice white lights at the bottom of the TV display--- i've attached pictures.... Its only noticable on completely black background settings.

Is there any way to fix this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9730.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	617.0 KB
ID:	2349914   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8691.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	739.8 KB
ID:	2349916   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4176.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	675.0 KB
ID:	2349918  
post #11518 of 19137 Old 01-22-2018, 05:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms05 View Post
Hi all,

I just got the sony 65xbr900e and notice white lights at the bottom of the TV display--- i've attached pictures.... Its only noticable on completely black background settings.

So, is it present when you're watching a program with black bars then?
post #11519 of 19137 Old 01-22-2018, 05:57 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Hi all,

Enable auto local dimming either medium or high

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
post #11520 of 19137 Old 01-22-2018, 06:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1280 Post(s)
Liked: 663
Quote:
Hi all,

That should not be there

Sony 75xZ9D connected to Panasonic UB820 and Nakamichi Shockwafe 7.1 Pro Atmos
Sony 55x900e
Sony 55xA1E
Sony 75x940e (Returned :-( bad motion blur)
Sony 75x900e, Sony 75x940d, Sony 55x930d, 55x810c, Sony 55x850c (All retired)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
issues , motion , motionflow , problems , Sony , sound delay , x900e

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page