2017 Sony XBR 900E owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 387 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 40382Likes

post #11581 of 19197 Old 01-23-2018, 08:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by avswonka View Post
thanks for the heads up on that post number. i totally forgot to enable the stuff in the xbox one x.
i hung the tv with all 4 hdmi's cabled along with the head phone jack / ethernet / fiber optic /usb cable and everything else i could plug in that i might use because it would be big tbl to access with it hung up there.
after watching rtings report on the hdmi ports, i chose port 2 to go back to the yamaha receiver. i only need one port as the yamaha has 6 inputs and i output going to hdmi 2 on the sony.
we had to hang it above the fireplace as its the ONLY place in our living room to put a tv. its an open plan with very little wall space that is not a window.
the samsung has been up there since we bought it with no problems. i had to take down the mantle as there would have been no way that her and i could have hung it
with the mantle in the way. i have it tilted so that its not a neck strain to see it and we always sit in a straight line to it.
thanks so much
Is your DTV chain all 4K ready?
You are missing out if not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11582 of 19197 Old 01-23-2018, 10:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I see that the 900e has released a new firmware. I checked my 65xbr900e TVs firmware and it is not the latest one, but when I try to update it via the WiFi, the TV keeps telling me what I have is the latest. What’s up with that?
post #11583 of 19197 Old 01-23-2018, 11:45 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandaroy View Post
I see that the 900e has released a new firmware. I checked my 65xbr900e TVs firmware and it is not the latest one, but when I try to update it via the WiFi, the TV keeps telling me what I have is the latest. What’s up with that?
I'm guessing it's a staged rollout. I have 2 55 900e and one received the update last week, while the other one hasn't yet and tells me it's up to date when I do a manual check.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11584 of 19197 Old 01-24-2018, 01:25 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandaroy View Post
I see that the 900e has released a new firmware. I checked my 65xbr900e TVs firmware and it is not the latest one, but when I try to update it via the WiFi, the TV keeps telling me what I have is the latest. What?s up with that?
Just checked, was released on the Jan 16 (Improves general performance of the TV) Hmmm haven't updated since probably august so I missed like 3 probably. Should I update my tv or wait for a update thats interesting? Also as a check in of having this tv since summer. It's been going fine, still eh on the side view and blooming when white appears to bad it can't be fix with software.
post #11585 of 19197 Old 01-24-2018, 03:50 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover16 View Post
Oh I didn't think about the update because I got that update like a week ago. However, I don't watch on this TV and the person who does can't remember if it happened pre update. However, my 2nd x900e hasn't received the update yet and is on the august android security patch and an earlier build number compared to the problem tv which has the december android security patch and a higher build number. I updated my original post with a video that shows the issue. Was it the same as your issue?
Yep, that's the same issue I was having.

Since changing the audio koutout style on my Bell receiver to PCM audio I haven't had it. I'll report back if it comes back as I still expect it to.
post #11586 of 19197 Old 01-24-2018, 04:15 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbrooke26 View Post
As a way to keep track of your own settings I've added a downloadable Your Settings.pdf file to(...). Credit to @Ricoflashback for having done so much earlier in the thread. Enjoy!
Let me just say that your work is quite impressive and very life saver. Thanks for that.

I'll definitely check your file when I get my hands on that TV, eventually
johnbrooke26 likes this.
post #11587 of 19197 Old 01-24-2018, 04:20 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elemental101 View Post
Is your DTV chain all 4K ready?
You are missing out if not.
it is not
im still using HR24 dvr's that are over 10 years old. i have been a dtv customer for 17 years and clearly have not been under a contract for a very long time.
i am planning on calling the CRG department today and talking to them about upgrading to the genie server. I just HATE going back under a contract for 2 years.
post #11588 of 19197 Old 01-24-2018, 05:42 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Not sure where to find the answer to this, as various searches have turned up nothing. I own a Samsung KS8000, and have found that various YouTube videos (played through the provided app) will play in 5.1. Some are labeled as 5.1 videos but only play in 2.0. I bring that up because a friend of mine recently got the 75" Sony X900e, and has found that ALL videos from the Sony YouTube app play in 2.0. I've given him some videos that work in 5.1 for me, and they all play in 2.0 for him. I had read a long time ago that all YouTube videos are 2.0, so I'm a little confused. Does anyone have any answers or help with this?
post #11589 of 19197 Old 01-24-2018, 06:31 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I just got this set last Saturday, and I'm loving it. I used to have a Samsung DLP 61a750 which I loved for playing back 24p movies. It was pretty much as simple as setting the output of the bluray player to 24p.

With the Sony, I find that movies are appearing too smoothly. I see a lot of people recommend True Cinema and High for the motion settings or True Cinema and Low. What are the differences between the two settings? The most frustrating thing about this TV is the lack of proper documentation.
post #11590 of 19197 Old 01-24-2018, 07:03 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusb84 View Post
I just got this set last Saturday, and I'm loving it. I used to have a Samsung DLP 61a750 which I loved for playing back 24p movies. It was pretty much as simple as setting the output of the bluray player to 24p.

With the Sony, I find that movies are appearing too smoothly. I see a lot of people recommend True Cinema and High for the motion settings or True Cinema and Low. What are the differences between the two settings? The most frustrating thing about this TV is the lack of proper documentation.
Should be able the remove judder without too much soap opera effect with Motionflow: True Cinema, Cinemotion: High. If you think it is too smooth, you can try turn motionflow off entirely while leaving Cinemotion on to do the reverse 3:2 pulldown.

Or, if you don't notice judder (which may be the case if you've watched movies on a 60Hz set), just turn all motion processing off.
post #11591 of 19197 Old 01-24-2018, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klotera View Post
Should be able the remove judder without too much soap opera effect with Motionflow: True Cinema, Cinemotion: High. If you think it is too smooth, you can try turn motionflow off entirely while leaving Cinemotion on to do the reverse 3:2 pulldown.

Or, if you don't notice judder (which may be the case if you've watched movies on a 60Hz set), just turn all motion processing off.
Isn't Motionflow "True cinema" the one doing the 3:2 pulldown?
post #11592 of 19197 Old 01-24-2018, 07:45 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klotera View Post

But he's asking specifically about 24p. The 900E does 24Hz natively. Theoretically, there's no need for any motion processing when a 24p source is being played back at 24Hz.

Do we know whether True Cinema and Cinemotion only kick in when a non-24p source is detected, like a 60Hz signal? If so, then they'd be the correct settings for all programming where one wants to achieve minimal motion control, as they have no effect with a native 24p source.
post #11593 of 19197 Old 01-24-2018, 07:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked: 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac128 View Post
But he's asking specifically about 24p. The 900E does 24Hz natively. Theoretically, there's no need for any motion processing when a 24p source is being played back at 24Hz.

Do we know whether True Cinema and Cinemotion only kick in when a non-24p source is detected, like a 60Hz signal? If so, then they'd be the correct settings for all programming where one wants to achieve minimal motion control, as they have no effect with a native 24p source.
You have to enable "24p Sync" in order for the Display to switch to Cinema Home/Pro when a video filmed at 24p is played.

Sony XBR55X900E
Marantz SR7010/Marantz MM7025
Oppo UDP-203 - Nvidia Shield
XBox One X
Klipsch RP-260f - RP-440C - RP140sa- RP-160m - RB10 - Sony SA-WM500
post #11594 of 19197 Old 01-24-2018, 08:07 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I unboxed my new 75 inch X900E last night (purchased at Best Buy), and hung it on the wall. Turned it on, fired up some 4k content, everything looked great.

Like some others in this forum, I've noticed irregularities in the panel that are most apparent when looking at reflected light from different angles around the room. There is a region near the middle of the panel that is slightly concave, and there is a another region in the upper right quadrant that has a slight rippled pattern. There's also a slight distortion of flatness near the corners. These distortions are clearest when the display is off and there is a higher amount of ambient light in the room. I've read this described elsewhere as the 'funhouse mirror' effect. Insofar as I can tell, the bezel around the panel is not warped or bent in any way.

I haven't seen any of the light leakage or cloudiness, or picture defects, etc. that other folks have mentioned here, so as such I consider the irregularities I am seeing to be purely cosmetic. My concern or uncertainty is whether the lack of 'flatness' even if only cosmetic right now is a sign of underlying issues with the screen. (I have not yet put the TV through more demanding tests, which I intend to do over the next day or two.)

I realize there are manufacturing irregularities that inherent to panels this large, so I'm just trying to put the defect I see in the context of what others have seen, so I can decide whether to return/exchange the TV. Curious whether people consider this type of irregularity normal for a screen this size.
post #11595 of 19197 Old 01-24-2018, 08:09 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
I'm about to pull the trigger and buy the 55" 900E but I want to make sure of one final thing before I do. I can't seem to find a clear answer on. I plan to mount this over our fireplace. Does "off axis" viewing refer only to horizontal off axis or does it refer to vertical as well? We will watch straight on but obviously will be looking up at the TV. Does the picture degrade from that angle as well???
post #11596 of 19197 Old 01-24-2018, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by double_b View Post
I'm about to pull the trigger and buy the 55" 900E but I want to make sure of one final thing before I do. I can't seem to find a clear answer on. I plan to mount this over our fireplace. Does "off axis" viewing refer only to horizontal off axis or does it refer to vertical as well? We will watch straight on but obviously will be looking up at the TV. Does the picture degrade from that angle as well???
Of course it degrades from an angle, its a VA panel so it looses about 15% (imo) of contrast from +30 degree angle. The tv is great and one to choose for the best price/performance TV.

But, if you can wait get X900F (2018), it will have better performance with extreme chip and still FALD. And also, my biggest regret was taking 55 instead of 65. The size of the tv itself looks pretty small with the new thin frame design and you will definitely wish for 65.

1st 55js8002: Bad DSE - returned for replace
2nd 55js8002: Exactly the same thing - refund
55js9002: Panel R.I.P. (edge bleed after 1 year of use) - refund
55x900E: Great TV - hope it will last
post #11597 of 19197 Old 01-24-2018, 08:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackblades View Post
Just checked, was released on the Jan 16 (Improves general performance of the TV) Hmmm haven't updated since probably august so I missed like 3 probably. Should I update my tv or wait for a update thats interesting? Also as a check in of having this tv since summer. It's been going fine, still eh on the side view and blooming when white appears to bad it can't be fix with software.
If you have the option to automatically download updates, then it should do that or at least prompt you that a new update is ready for download/install. Side viewing and blooming will not improve with firmware updates, but the last update did fix the optical out from TV from dropping DD audio randomly.

Do you view in the dark? LED tvs like this cannot perform like OLEDs in dark environment. Try using a bias light, it does wonders to the black level, contrast and blooming. I have a regular LED bulb (40w equivalent) bright white ~5000 Kelvin (6500 K is best) placed behind the TV facing the back wall so it creates a diffuse lighting and I always turn it on when I watch the TV. Black level perception gets better and blooming is minimized. I rarely encounter blooing issues this way, also reduces eye strain when the rest of the room is dark. Also, I do not have the backlight cranked up in my TV, a setting of 15 is plenty bright for me. Even when HDR kicks and the backlight is at max, the presence of bias light prevents or minimizes the blooming effect. If you do not have space behind the TV to install a light like mine, there are LED bias light strips you can attach to the back of the TV that are available on Amazon. Key is to get something closer to daylight (6500 K). Even when I had my Panasonic VT30 plasma, I used bias lighting.

Regarding side viewing, not much can be done, it will degrade like all LEDs, but again bias lighting will reduce the impact a bit.
TonyS likes this.
post #11598 of 19197 Old 01-24-2018, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green666 View Post
Of course it degrades from an angle, its a VA panel so it looses about 15% (imo) of contrast from +30 degree angle. The tv is great and one to choose for the best price/performance TV.

But, if you can wait get X900F (2018), it will have better performance with extreme chip and still FALD. And also, my biggest regret was taking 55 instead of 65. The size of the tv itself looks pretty small with the new thin frame design and you will definitely wish for 65.
Does it degrade from the VERTICAL angle? I know it will from the side to side.
post #11599 of 19197 Old 01-24-2018, 08:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by algorithmic View Post
I unboxed my new 75 inch X900E last night (purchased at Best Buy), and hung it on the wall. Turned it on, fired up some 4k content, everything looked great.

Like some others in this forum, I've noticed irregularities in the panel that are most apparent when looking at reflected light from different angles around the room. There is a region near the middle of the panel that is slightly concave, and there is a another region in the upper right quadrant that has a slight rippled pattern. There's also a slight distortion of flatness near the corners. These distortions are clearest when the display is off and there is a higher amount of ambient light in the room. I've read this described elsewhere as the 'funhouse mirror' effect. Insofar as I can tell, the bezel around the panel is not warped or bent in any way.

I haven't seen any of the light leakage or cloudiness, or picture defects, etc. that other folks have mentioned here, so as such I consider the irregularities I am seeing to be purely cosmetic. My concern or uncertainty is whether the lack of 'flatness' even if only cosmetic right now is a sign of underlying issues with the screen. (I have not yet put the TV through more demanding tests, which I intend to do over the next day or two.)

I realize there are manufacturing irregularities that inherent to panels this large, so I'm just trying to put the defect I see in the context of what others have seen, so I can decide whether to return/exchange the TV. Curious whether people consider this type of irregularity normal for a screen this size.
If anyone could guarantee me near perfect (without DSE, clouding, uneven uniformity near the frame) i would jump on it right away, but i think its hardly possible to expect it with such big panels. I really want bigger screen now after owning 55 for nearly 3 years, but i am so afraid of all the exchanges and panel lottery i would have to get through to get a decent one so i would place my bet on a 4K HDR projector ...one day, when the price would be more reasonable.

post #11600 of 19197 Old 01-24-2018, 08:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Does it degrade from the VERTICAL angle? I know it will from the side to side.
Not that much compared to horizontal. I see its a US general habit to hang the tv above the fireplace (heating?!?) and too high (?!?) ...here in EU we like to keep it in the level of our seating position.

post #11601 of 19197 Old 01-24-2018, 08:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove93 View Post
You have to enable "24p Sync" in order for the Display to switch to Cinema Home/Pro when a video filmed at 24p is played.
So you're saying that if I don't have Auto picture mode enabled, that even if the TV receives a 24p source signal, it won't display it in 24p?

If that's true then none of the internal apps will display 24p, since that option is only available with HDMI sources.

But to my original point, when that setting is enabled, Cinemotion is still set to high, and True Cinema is still selected. So, unless they are disabled automatically, then what are they doing to a native 24p picture?
post #11602 of 19197 Old 01-24-2018, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green666 View Post
Not that much compared to horizontal. I see its a US general habit to hang the tv above the fireplace (heating?!?) and too high (?!?) ...here in EU we like to keep it in the level of our seating position.
Thanks for clarifying. Yea, it is popular here to hang over the fireplace. It just works best for the layout of a lot of newer houses to be able to view from the kitchen as well. Heat isn't really a concern, the mantle deflects most of the intense heat away from the wall directly above the TV.

This will be our "everyday" TV so holding out for the 900F isn't as important. I debated if I should future proof for DV but we have a Sony projector with a 110" screen in our movie room so that's where we get the wow factor immersive experience. In other words by the time the HDR format wars are settled and there is a lot more content the Sony projector will be the one that gets upgraded. ;-)
post #11603 of 19197 Old 01-24-2018, 08:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks for clarifying. Yea, it is popular here to hang over the fireplace. It just works best for the layout of a lot of newer houses to be able to view from the kitchen as well. Heat isn't really a concern, the mantle deflects most of the intense heat away from the wall directly above the TV.

This will be our "everyday" TV so holding out for the 900F isn't as important. I debated if I should future proof for DV but we have a Sony projector with a 110" screen in our movie room so that's where we get the wow factor immersive experience. In other words by the time the HDR format wars are settled and there is a lot more content the Sony projector will be the one that gets upgraded. ;-)
Yeah, HDR is still scarce ... but man, i would loooove to see 110" picture - main problem is that such projector costs 30k and i can bet it will still not be enough in a well lit room during the day. Have to make a dark cinema room as well

Edit. For everyday use x900E is a great choice and you won`t be sorry ... a degrade from an angle is mostly visible with black bars in a complete dark environment and from extreme angle, with daylight use you will never notice it. I am using this tv almost 24/7 for a year now and have zero problems.

Last edited by green666; 01-24-2018 at 08:47 AM.
post #11604 of 19197 Old 01-24-2018, 08:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
If you do chose to mount over your fireplace, you'd be well advised to look into a mounting bracket that allows you to pull the TV down into a proper viewing level. Or, a tiltable bracket that allows you to angle the set toward your eyes so you aren't viewing it off axis.

Off vertical axis viewing is worse below the TV than from above, which is exactly where you will be. Add a left or right off-axis angle and the picture will be less than optimal. That said, I watch my TV from about a 25-30 degree off-axis angle both vertical and horizontal, basically from the lower left side of the TV. My experience is not unpleasant, in fact I don't even realize it until I stand up and make a direct comparison, assuming you insist on mounting it in an unatural location for viewing. The only time mounting a TV that high would be acceptable would be for non-critical viewing, as they would in a Sports bar. Think of it as the equivalent to sitting on the front row of a multiplex stadium theater. Not the best way to watch a movie critically.
post #11605 of 19197 Old 01-24-2018, 08:51 AM

Quote:
So you're saying that if I don't have Auto picture mode enabled, that even if the TV receives a 24p source signal, it won't display it in 24p?

If that's true then none of the internal apps will display 24p, since that option is only available with HDMI sources.

But to my original point, when that setting is enabled, Cinemotion is still set to high, and True Cinema is still selected. So, unless they are disabled automatically, then what are they doing to a native 24p picture?
This is where my confusion is. I think on my DLP it was one setting in the options to enable 24p, and then the output on the bluray player had to be set and that was it.

I would assume if the TV accepts a 24 signal, it is adjusting its refresh rate or multiplying the frames into 120hz without adjusting any settings, but it's hard to assume this because Sony doesn't document anything.

I think Rtings might have a clue in their review, as they specifically mention the TV plays 24p fine, but True Cinema/High must be set for 60p/i sources:

"The X900E can play movies from Blu-ray players, native streaming apps and cable/satellite boxes without any judder. Note that when playing the movie from a 60p/60i source like cable TV, the 'Motionflow' option must be set to 'True Cinema' and 'CineMotion' set to 'High' to have a judder-free experience without any motion interpolation."

So from that, I would assume it is correct that if given a 24p signal, both motion settings set to off would be the correct way to display the signal. TrueCinema/High probably doesn't have any effect on 24p and can be left on in case you display a signal that needs the pulldown.

It still doesn't explain exactly what High/Low means in this context or what it's actually doing to the picture on a 60p/i source.
post #11606 of 19197 Old 01-24-2018, 08:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I see. If your main concern is being able to see it from the kitchen and living area of a great room, then the quality of your picture is your least concern here. Especially since you have a home theater for critical viewing.

I'm not even sure the 900E is they way to go for you. You might be better served with an edge lit display, and particularly a bright one, so it will have a good viewing angle from any area of such an open living area, and in the daylight from the kitchen.
post #11607 of 19197 Old 01-24-2018, 08:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked: 585
Quote:

I'll have to check the apps native to the TV again since I don't use them primarily.

The link below has pictures of what happens when the display is not calibrated for when 24fps content is played on my Oppo 203, as was the case with my Nvidia Shield as well.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...l#post55331866

Sony XBR55X900E
Marantz SR7010/Marantz MM7025
Oppo UDP-203 - Nvidia Shield
XBox One X
Klipsch RP-260f - RP-440C - RP140sa- RP-160m - RB10 - Sony SA-WM500
post #11608 of 19197 Old 01-24-2018, 09:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1796 Post(s)
Liked: 1272
Quote:
Originally Posted by ursa99 View Post
My 3rd and last post on this with the same info. Sorry to burst your bubble but unless Sony has a change of heart....Kinda pissed about this because it appears HDR10+ would be perfect for the many 900E owners out there who will never get Dolby Vision due to HW limitations.

http://www.techradar.com/news/heres-...ivals-to-hdr10

Full article below.

Here’s why Sony isn’t following its rivals to HDR10+
By Nick Pino 6 days ago Television

Sony President Mike Fasulo takes a hard pass on the not-so-universal standard:
Update: Samsung has reached out to TechRadar to clarify some of the points below on the HDR10+ Alliance and how products receive HDR10+ certification. Those changes have been noted below.

It seems that not one single CES can pass without there being some sort of format war: Last year, Dolby Vision came about to rival (and outclass) the universal HDR10 standard and, before that, LG paraded OLED around the showfloor while Samsung touted its quantum dot panels. We’ve seen Blu-ray beat out HD-DVD here at CES, and now, HDR10+ is going up against Dolby Vision to take the throne of best dynamic metadata-rich HDR format.

While sides have shifted and some manufacturers have stayed out of it entirely, for now it appears that Samsung, Amazon, 20th Century Fox and Panasonic have all aligned themselves with HDR10+, while Sony, LG, TCL, Netflix and others have signed deals with Dolby to bring Dolby Vision to their platforms.

Though companies can change sides any time they’d like (HDR10+ and Dolby Vision aren’t mutually exclusive), it seems that one of the biggest TV manufacturers in the world, Sony, won’t be making the switch any time soon.

Speaking to TechRadar, Sony President and COO, Mike Fasulo, said the company would likely focus its attention elsewhere rather than adopt HDR10+.

“HDR10 was established with the CTA as an industry standard. We support Dolby Vision. We support HLG … Our interest is in delivery mechanisms that make it easier for the consumer and make a more immersive experience,” Fasulo said.

But when asked if those delivery mechanisms included HDR10+, Fasulo seemed nonplussed with the idea of the format on Sony TVS.

“Again, our priorities are focused on other technology and delivery systems and we’re going to stay focused there,” Fasulo said.

HDR10+ vs Dolby Vision: what’s the difference?
Dolby Vision was one of the first dynamic metadata-driven HDR formats on the market. Instead of having one set dynamic range for an entire film like standard HDR10, Dolby Vision promised a scene-by-scene approach that would allow tones to shift to better match content.

HDR10+ more or less does the same thing - it too uses dynamic metadata to reflect frame to frame or scene to scene variations in brightness, color saturation, and contrast. The only difference is that with HDR10+ you don’t have to pay a licensing fee to Dolby to use it.

So is this format war all about money? The short answer is both yes and no.

While HDR10+ doesn’t charge a fee to license its technology, according to a source at LG, it does ask that you join the HDR10+ Alliance, a group of manufacturers that share data points and technology advancements with one another. As you can imagine, in an industry as competitive as television manufacturing is, there aren’t many companies too keen on sharing their insider information. So for that reason, Sony is out, or at least that’s our assumption.

(Correction: Samsung has reached out to inform us that there is no 'sharing of data points' between HDR10+ Alliance members, and the implementation in devices is deliberately unspecified so that it can be done as each device maker sees fit. The only requirement for a device to have HDR10+ on it is that it needs to support the format and pass the certification test based on quality.)

In better news, while it doesn’t appear that Sony will be joining the HDR10+ Alliance any time in the near future, Fasulo did reaffirm the company’s promise to bring the Dolby Vision software update to US Sony TVs by the end of January.
Good post and no bubble bursted. While HDR10+ is more of a "static" metadata versus Dolby Vision (at least right now - HDR10+ is moving to "dynamic" metadata), my main point was that there doesn't appear to be any technical hurdles to providing HDR10+ for Sony TV's.

I think Sony is missing the boat by not adopting HDR10+ - - especially for Sony 900E owners who will never get Dolby Vision. And, as with all standard's "wars" - - who knows what will eventually win out. Since I haven't seen anything in HDR10+ or Dolby Vision - - it might be "much ado about nothing." And, if there isn't much difference between HDR10 compared to HDR10+ (at least to the viewer's eyes), then no harm, no foul.

Link to more info on HDR10+

https://www.cnet.com/news/what-is-hdr10/
marcusb84 likes this.

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, BenQ W1080ST, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)
post #11609 of 19197 Old 01-24-2018, 09:31 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corizzle View Post
Yep, that's the same issue I was having.

Since changing the audio koutout style on my Bell receiver to PCM audio I haven't had it. I'll report back if it comes back as I still expect it to.
Ah ok. Thanks for confirming you had the same issue. Makes me feel better knowing I'm not the only one experiencing this weird issue. I guess I won't find out if the update is the cause until my 2nd x900e receives the update too. Am I correct to assume a factory reset wouldn't delete the new firmware update, so would be pointless to do?
post #11610 of 19197 Old 01-24-2018, 09:32 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Hey guys, looking at buying a 65”, what’s the dse and clouding like on these sets ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
issues , motion , motionflow , problems , Sony , sound delay , x900e

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page