2017 Sony XBR 900E owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 396 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 40400Likes

post #11851 of 19297 Old 01-28-2018, 11:54 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elemental101 View Post
did somebody say DTV?

Oh yes, HLG on this Sony is amazing!

What channels are showing HLG?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sony XBR-65X900E / Sony STRDN1080 / Definitive Technology ProCinema 600 Series / Vizio P55-C1 / Vizio SB4031-D5 / DirecTV Genie (non-4K) / Apple TV 4 / Apple TV 4K / Roku Premiere+
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11852 of 19297 Old 01-28-2018, 11:56 AM

Also if you want to see some amazing HDR, find Cosmos Laundromat on Netflix. It’s an animated short - kind of goofy but the highlights will make you squint. I looked at this on my P55 about a year ago and it really shines on the 900e.

BJHebert likes this.

Sony XBR-65X900E / Sony STRDN1080 / Definitive Technology ProCinema 600 Series / Vizio P55-C1 / Vizio SB4031-D5 / DirecTV Genie (non-4K) / Apple TV 4 / Apple TV 4K / Roku Premiere+
post #11853 of 19297 Old 01-28-2018, 11:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furyus View Post
What channels are showing HLG?

104, 105 and 106 so far.
The Sony's work magic with HLG, imo.
Implement HLG across the board for broadcasting I say and leave HDR/DV for the physical media.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11854 of 19297 Old 01-28-2018, 12:01 PM

Yeah I don’t have a 4K setup. I’m waiting until it’s become more widespread.

post #11855 of 19297 Old 01-28-2018, 12:04 PM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furyus View Post
Yeah I don’t have a 4K setup. I’m waiting until it’s become more widespread.

Understandable....but with new customers, no reason not to.
I WANT MORE likes this.
post #11856 of 19297 Old 01-28-2018, 01:33 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by idntknw View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damar1979 View Post
Even rtings.com have expressed the Q7F doesn't compare to the 900e. Full array local dimming on the 900e, significantly less blooming, And really great HDR. So yes definitely better than the MU8000.
Thanks. I checked out the video for the 900e and really seems to be the better set. I'm returning the MU8000 to day trying out the Sony today.
Definitely hope you enjoy!
idntknw likes this.
post #11857 of 19297 Old 01-28-2018, 02:45 PM

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikes88 View Post
Ok thanks, I got it. It still wasn't working at first, I had to change to picture mode from custom to anything else and then whichever mode I choose for the HDR to kick in and show up.
If your setting the HDR off of auto that's a simulated mode Stranger things season 2 is in HDR not season one.
post #11858 of 19297 Old 01-28-2018, 02:50 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLWedge09 View Post
I’ve got the 65” version of the X900E. I installed the latest update via usb (it wasn’t showing up for me via the tv yet) and had my first episode of red flashing lights when switching over to the PS4 yesterday. I think it flashed red 8 times (2 sets of 4) then rebooted. Worked ok after that.

Beyond that, this latest update has really got me wondering if I can find a happy balance on motion processing. For regular tv, I’m watching Dish Network via a Hopper 3 oh HDMI port 1 since I’m never gonna need HDR from it. I actually like the SOE, but I have issues with it on some channels and it isn’t artifacting. It’s almost like judder, but more like a constant skipping...almost like a strobe light effect. While one channel will be smooth as silk, something else might get that jittery skipping effect. Turning off all motion processing just isn’t an option. I just came from a 60 inch plasma, and the lack of smoothness when it’s all turned off bothers my eyes. I swear it really seems like the processor in the tv just can’t keep up with the motion processing. For now, the best balance I can find is Motionflow on custom, smoothness at 2, clearness at min, and Cinemotion on high.

My set is a November build, has the light band/bleed edges on some scenes on the left, right, and top. It was purchased from a third party through Amazon and I have through Feb. 3rd to return it. I’m tempted, but I have no idea what I’d get in it’s place. It would have to be something from Amazon, because I paid for half of the TV with a Amazon e-gift card.
When I bought my Acer XB270HU Gsync monitor about half of forum users complained of minor light bleed, IPS glow, and issues with getting Gsync to work flawlessly. But lots of them ended up going through multiple RMAs, and often got panels that were even worse than the previous. When you factor in your time and your sanity you really have to ask yourself if it is worth searching for the holy grail panel? Or just wait it out and get used to the minor annoyances. My Acer wasn't perfect, but a few months after setting it up I started to barely notice the slight glow in the upper corner, and now I don't even notice it unless I am looking for it.

I know everyone has different tolerances to these minor bugs, but you might never end up finding the "perfect" panel if you don't make at least a few concessions...

I leave Motionflow off to avoid the almost inevitable interpolation side effects, plus my wife and I both hate the soap opera effect, but to each his own I suppose.
post #11859 of 19297 Old 01-28-2018, 03:00 PM

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 50
SOE was strange at first but now it doesn't look fake. After a year it just looks a lot clearer i can't watch a movie with film grain anymore.
post #11860 of 19297 Old 01-28-2018, 03:00 PM
Longtime Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Is there any consensus? Should I use HDMI ARC to listen to OTA and built-in apps or should I use optical?

Thank you,

pat----

post #11861 of 19297 Old 01-28-2018, 03:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1834 Post(s)
Liked: 1284
Quote:
Originally Posted by psklenar View Post
Is there any consensus? Should I use HDMI ARC to listen to OTA and built-in apps or should I use optical?

Thank you,
Depends on your audio setup and if ARC works! I'd recommend ARC for many reasons. You'll get DD+ (Dolby Digital Plus) versus Dolby Digital 5.1 (only) with optical. If you have a Dolby Atmos setup, then you can get compressed Dolby Atmos soundtracks with ARC & DD+, even though they are few and far between and mostly on pay per view movies.

Convenience wise, I like ARC better even though there can be some hiccups with older AVR's like I have. It's funny - Netflix, Google Play Movies - - all stellar with ARC. Amazon Prime? For some reason, I get audio dropouts with ARC from Amazon Prime. I think it's more an Amazon/Sony issue than anything else. This could be a limitation of my own system so see how it works with yours. You can always go to optical as a backup or permanent setup if ARC doesn't work.

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, BenQ W1080ST, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)
post #11862 of 19297 Old 01-28-2018, 03:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Where is the IR remote sensor on the 900E located? I had the 850E and with a Vizio sound bar, I had to hold the remote up and aim it down to get to work. When I still had the 850E, I ended up getting a 2x12 and elevating the TV slightly so the remote worked. I can see the white light showing the power is on with the wood and have been aiming towards that. When I got the 900E, I didn't remove the stand. I have since then purchased a new TV stand and even though the board is hidden when sitting by the Sound bar, I'd prefer remove it. I may have to leave it or find something in case the top of the sound bar is blocking the sensor or a little bit of the bottom of the TV. Or a shorter sound bar!

Xbox: Deezul
Sony XBR-65X900E, Sony XBR-49X900E
Go Jackets!
post #11863 of 19297 Old 01-28-2018, 03:41 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezul View Post
Where is the IR remote sensor on the 900E located? I had the 850E and with a Vizio sound bar, I had to hold the remote up and aim it down to get to work. When I still had the 850E, I ended up getting a 2x12 and elevating the TV slightly so the remote worked. I can see the white light showing the power is on with the wood and have been aiming towards that. When I got the 900E, I didn't remove the stand. I have since then purchased a new TV stand and even though the board is hidden when sitting by the Sound bar, I'd prefer remove it. I may have to leave it or find something in case the top of the sound bar is blocking the sensor or a little bit of the bottom of the TV. Or a shorter sound bar!
Pretty sure you can locate it wherever you want with the supplied cable dongle that plugs into the back panel. The RF remote sensor is located in the bottom middle where the indicator light. I just mounted my Sony CT800 soundbar(which is fairly thin) on the wall because it was interfering with the remote. The CT800 has been pretty decent for our bedroom, crisp sound at low levels (we have small children) and a decent "night mode". Almost anything is an upgrade over the stock speakers on the 900E...

Quote:
The greatest teacher, failure is.... -Yoda TLJ
post #11864 of 19297 Old 01-28-2018, 04:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Returned the Samsung MU8000 and bought the Sony today and it looks great!

Thanks again.
Mac128 likes this.
post #11865 of 19297 Old 01-28-2018, 05:24 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezul View Post
I went to the Lowe's store, lumber dept trash bin, immediately found a discarded 2x4 asked if I could have it, no problem, cut it and used one for the front of the stand and one for the back two legs. Can't see it since the sound bar is there. It's perfect.
(even if you could see it just put a decorative or black material over it.
post #11866 of 19297 Old 01-28-2018, 05:49 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac128 View Post
You should be good. Mine has been on the top center with plenty of room for a year. 55" or 65" that part of the TV is going to be the same in terms of design and space.

Interesting discovery. As it turns out, I might have been streaming something on an app that is only available on Android, since I usually use my Apple TV. I haven't tried using that built-in app for a while and have had no problems. If keep an eye on it. Thanks! Using an ATT router.

Have you tried a factory reset? That seemed to fix the blinking red light for me, when I first had the TV.

The Display button on the remote doesn't show HDR status. You have to use the Action button and open Picture Adjustment Settings. It will be in the top right of the menu.
I did just do the factory reset and if it does again im taking it back and this perfect panel will probably not be on the next one. ARE THERE ALOT OF PEOPLE ON HERE THAT HAD THERE TV SHUT OFF AND GIVE THE ERROR RED LIGHT BLINKS THAT GOT FIXED BY UPDATE/FACTORY RESET AND NOW THERE TV IS OK?
post #11867 of 19297 Old 01-28-2018, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristCutlass View Post
Quote:
You should be good. Mine has been on the top center with plenty of room for a year. 55" or 65" that part of the TV is going to be the same in terms of design and space.

Interesting discovery. As it turns out, I might have been streaming something on an app that is only available on Android, since I usually use my Apple TV. I haven't tried using that built-in app for a while and have had no problems. If keep an eye on it. Thanks! Using an ATT router.

Have you tried a factory reset? That seemed to fix the blinking red light for me, when I first had the TV.

The Display button on the remote doesn't show HDR status. You have to use the Action button and open Picture Adjustment Settings. It will be in the top right of the menu.
I did just do the factory reset and if it does again im taking it back and this perfect panel will probably not be on the next one. ARE THERE ALOT OF PEOPLE ON HERE THAT HAD THERE TV SHUT OFF AND GIVE THE ERROR RED LIGHT BLINKS THAT GOT FIXED BY UPDATE/FACTORY RESET AND NOW THERE TV IS OK?
If you did a factory reset, have you also put everything back to enhanced mode? Mine stopped doing the red blinking after I put the enhanced mode back on
post #11868 of 19297 Old 01-28-2018, 06:41 PM
Longtime Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Boogers. I was hunting and pecking thru the TV's menus today and changed something, although I can't figure out what, and now my prepro isn't seeing any signal coming from the ARC port. And no, I didn't touch and physical cables, was just in the TVs menus.

The OTA turner, internal apps and a friend's Firestick on HDMI 4 all has sounds yesterday and this AM, but after I was was looking for adjustments and tweaks this afternoon ... nothing.

Any thoughts as to where to look? Thanks,

pat----

post #11869 of 19297 Old 01-28-2018, 07:39 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Quote:

My kid just informed me the tv has been blinking red and shutting off. I use it pretty much everyday and haven't experienced this my self.
post #11870 of 19297 Old 01-28-2018, 07:54 PM

Quote:
If you did a factory reset, have you also put everything back to enhanced mode? Mine stopped doing the red blinking after I put the enhanced mode back on
Yes i did remember, HOW LONG SINCE YOU HAD RED LIGHTS AND HOW LONG YOU HAD TV? Thanks for the info .
post #11871 of 19297 Old 01-28-2018, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newb00 View Post
My kid just informed me the tv has been blinking red and shutting off. I use it pretty much everyday and haven't experienced this my self.
My condolences,lol. Well this sucks and i just got to determine does it have to be returned or is this common and can be overcome with time, i know sony says red lights usually mean they need repair. Thanks for the info
post #11872 of 19297 Old 01-28-2018, 08:09 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newb00 View Post
Quote:
Yes i did remember, HOW LONG SINCE YOU HAD RED LIGHTS AND HOW LONG YOU HAD TV? Thanks for the info .

Mine has only had the blinking red light episode once, and it actually happened about 20 minutes AFTER I factory reset the tv. My Dish Hopper 3 is on HDMI 1, the Roku Premiere+ is on HDMI 2, and my PS4 is on HDMI 3. The red lights happened the first time I turned on the PS4 and tried to switch to its input after the factory reset. Hasn’t happened since.
post #11873 of 19297 Old 01-28-2018, 08:20 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I bought my tv on Amazon but it was through an authorized reseller. When I try to register the tv, both Amazon and the reseller shows up. Any ideas which store I should list as the place of purchased?
post #11874 of 19297 Old 01-28-2018, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Had the TV since May. But I did notice the red lights only since doing this latest firmware update with factory reset. Only times was when I tried using my Panasonic 4K Blu-Ray player, which after I noticed wasn't in HDR. So I put enhanced mode back on.... and haven't experienced it since.
post #11875 of 19297 Old 01-28-2018, 09:39 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Hey All,

Just picked up a 65in 900e today. This will be replacing my Sharp Aquos 52in that I've had since 2008. Which btw still works very well and moved to the bedroom for now. Was going back and forth for like 3 weeks and wanted to get something before the big game. Was choosing between the Sammy MU8000 or the 850e and found the 900 at a great price. I'll be reading on these forums to see what I should be looking out for and tips.
post #11876 of 19297 Old 01-28-2018, 09:58 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by degrom123 View Post
I bought my tv on Amazon but it was through an authorized reseller. When I try to register the tv, both Amazon and the reseller shows up. Any ideas which store I should list as the place of purchased?
I bought mine the same way and faced the same choice. I ended up listing it as being purchased from the authorized reseller, Video & Audio Center.
post #11877 of 19297 Old 01-28-2018, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLWedge09 View Post
Mine has only had the blinking red light episode once, and it actually happened about 20 minutes AFTER I factory reset the tv. My Dish Hopper 3 is on HDMI 1, the Roku Premiere+ is on HDMI 2, and my PS4 is on HDMI 3. The red lights happened the first time I turned on the PS4 and tried to switch to its input after the factory reset. Hasn’t happened since.
Mine has done it 3 times and i just got it 2 days ago.I did not do the factory reset until last night im thinking maybe i should wait to see if it does it after factory reset . It is tough to decide to return when i had a realistic standard which is i will return if the screen has banding and this one is perfect. Chances of another perfect uniformity is prolly a zero. Tough choice!

Last edited by ChristCutlass; 01-28-2018 at 10:40 PM.
post #11878 of 19297 Old 01-28-2018, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Had the TV since May. But I did notice the red lights only since doing this latest firmware update with factory reset. Only times was when I tried using my Panasonic 4K Blu-Ray player, which after I noticed wasn't in HDR. So I put enhanced mode back on.... and haven't experienced it since.
3 times in 2 days for me. Just got it and its got perfect uniformity. I did not do the factory reset until last night im thinking maybe i should wait to see if it does it after factory reset.Tough call here thanks for the info

Last edited by ChristCutlass; 01-28-2018 at 10:39 PM.
post #11879 of 19297 Old 01-28-2018, 10:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked: 300
Quote:
Did you read the documentation on the Sony site? This is not necessarily a fatal error, requiring repair.

https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answer...lrT1hEbg%3D%3D
post #11880 of 19297 Old 01-28-2018, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Did you read the documentation on the Sony site? This is not necessarily a fatal error, requiring repair.

https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answer...lrT1hEbg%3D%3D
Yes, if you click it and look in the first couple sentences it says "most" red light blinking means it needs to be serviced. Now whether its red lights and tv wont come on or if sonys information is different if your tv is coming back on after red lights is a question to investigate...hey thanks for info buddy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
issues , motion , motionflow , problems , Sony , sound delay , x900e

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page