2017 Sony XBR 900E owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 399 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 40400Likes

post #11941 of 19295 Old 01-30-2018, 06:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyS View Post
BTW, don't worry, my Blu-ray and 4K players are connected via HDMI to the receiver and I am getting TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio for those.
I would connect 4k players directly to the TV and get the 4k picture and forego the TrueHD/DTS Master audio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11942 of 19295 Old 01-30-2018, 07:19 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by guida74 View Post
Has anyone who contacted Sony about the edge bleed/ halo been approved for an exchange?
I've decided to keep my TV, but recently I went through this massive return/exchange saga where I finally got a TV (fifth one!) that at first I thought had no edge halo.

Well, after watching the TV for more than a week, it definitely DOES have the edge halo. It is by far the least noticeable example of all the sets I've been through, and oddly enough, it's most prominent on the *right* side and not the left, as was the case with all of the other sets. It's at a level where I can honestly say I can tolerate it. I mean, a couple of those sets I'd had prior it was REAL bad. Visible on all content. This time, it's there but you have to look for it. But some things you just can't unsee...

A buddy of mine here at the school I work with got a 65X900E this past weekend. I asked him if I could come over. Yup. It has it, too. He's not particularly discerning, so he said it doesn't bother him, but even he noticed it WAS THERE. His had a December manufacture date.

Maybe they've just gotten totally lax on their QC at this point. Because my parents have the 55X900E manufactured in July and it doesn't have it at all. And my other friend has the 75" and it doesn't have it at all.

Maybe this is just an issue with the 65"?

There's so many possible factors here. The main issue is that it IS there, it EXISTS, and based on things I'm reading, they don't want to deal with it.

I'm still going to hold out until maybe later in the spring and then try to bring it up to the warranty department and possibly see if I can get an exchange for the upcoming X900F.

TV: Sony XBR65X900E
Receiver: Yamaha RX-V479
Speakers: Fronts: Sony SS-F6000, Center: Sony SS-CN5000 , Rears: Sony SS-B1000, Sub: Sony SA-W3000
-pete-

Last edited by guitarpete987; 01-30-2018 at 07:28 AM.
post #11943 of 19295 Old 01-30-2018, 07:48 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusb84 View Post
Quote:
BTW, don't worry, my Blu-ray and 4K players are connected via HDMI to the receiver and I am getting TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio for those.
I would connect 4k players directly to the TV and get the 4k picture and forego the TrueHD/DTS Master audio
However if your receiver is 4K HDR pass through, then you get the benefit of 4K, HDR, and lossless audio. It is a more complete experience
bradman likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11944 of 19295 Old 01-30-2018, 08:02 AM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damar1979 View Post
However if your receiver is 4K HDR pass through, then you get the benefit of 4K, HDR, and lossless audio. It is a more complete experience
..along with possibly adding extra full bandwidth HDMI ports.
bradman likes this.
post #11945 of 19295 Old 01-30-2018, 08:05 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by SliChillax View Post
Hey guys I've been using this TV for gaming mostly and I tried to connect my gaming PC but the results were horrible. Image quality in HDR wasn't that impressive and the input lag was horrible. I've never had any problems in HDR or input lag on the PS4 but gaming on PC is unplayable. I used the same HDMI 2.0 cable that I used on the PS4 so that's not the issue, I even used the same HDMI port 2 and it's still really bad. I've got a beefy PC so that's not the issue either. All the post processing stuff is turned off too. I don't know what to do, is my TV faulty?
Were you previously using your PC successfully with an LED 4K HDR TV? If not, are you sure your PC graphics card supports it?

Since you were using the same port successfully with your PS4, we can assume you've already turned on HDMI enhanced settings, and confirmed HDR is engaged in Picture Adjustments menu?

Are you using the exact same picture settings as you were with the PS4, and if so, what are those settings? Every source is going to have different requirements, and your PC may be outputting a signal that needs very different adjustments compared to the PS4. If the PS4 otherwise has an excellent picture, my first suspicion would be the PC, NOT the 900E.

Way too many variables here to conclude the TV is at fault. In addition to the TV settings, you should also provide detailed settings of the video card and PC output settings.

Last edited by Mac128; 01-30-2018 at 11:31 AM.
post #11946 of 19295 Old 01-30-2018, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damar1979 View Post
OPs receiver was an older non-4K receiver, and they expressed that they have no desire to upgrade.
post #11947 of 19295 Old 01-30-2018, 08:33 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 13
FINALLY got HDR video from the Xbox One S.

Bought Wonder Woman on sale from Vudu - plays at 4K HDR using app on Xbox One S.
FYI, the Vudu app installed on the x900e does NOT do 4K.

Plex is working on direct streaming to Xbox One S/X, i.e. no transcoding, 4K resolution, no support yet for HDR
While trying to work this out it on my system, would be very nice to know if transcoding is occurring.

Is there any way to tell if the input to the TV is 1080 vs 4K?

Sony XBR65X900E
Denon AVR-X4400H
B&W 683 front, CC6 S2 center, DM601 S2 surround, DM603 rear, ASW1000 powered sub woofer, 4 X SP-T22A-LR Dolby Atmos
NVIDIA Shield | XBox One S | Plex | HDHomeRun | Nintendo Wii | Xbox 360 | Popcorn A400

Last edited by megabitee; 01-30-2018 at 08:46 AM.
post #11948 of 19295 Old 01-30-2018, 09:05 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6834 Post(s)
Liked: 6830
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarpete987 View Post
I've decided to keep my TV, but recently I went through this massive return/exchange saga where I finally got a TV (fifth one!) that at first I thought had no edge halo.
Maybe they've just gotten totally lax on their QC at this point. Because my parents have the 55X900E manufactured in July and it doesn't have it at all. And my other friend has the 75" and it doesn't have it at all.
The issue is any technology has limitations unfortunately. QC is not bad, as 99% of the user do not see these things. Pick any car for under 100K, I guarantee you will see orange peel in the paint, unfortunately it is what it is. I bet the 900F will be the same. You can get an OLED and never have this type of issue but you will have other issues
post #11949 of 19295 Old 01-30-2018, 10:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked: 296
I recently got 75" 900e. whenever I power on, I get a message:" the USB device is drawing too much power" I don't have anything plugged into the USB port. the message goes away, and there are no other messages or issues. Anyone else see this?

Main: Sony XBR75900E, Denon AVR-x4400, Denon POA-5200 (L/R(a) Goldenear supersat 60, (b)FW Boston acoustic Bravo 2. C Goldenear supersat 60C,
SSR DIYSG Volt 6v2. RSS Volt 6, Atmos(.4) Boston acoustics soundware XS
HSU research ULS -15, Episode ES-IW-Dual 8 / Monitor audio IWA 250 amp 2nd Rm: Visio E55, Denon avr730H, Boston Acoustics CR8, cr400 sub.
post #11950 of 19295 Old 01-30-2018, 11:15 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Anyway of recreating the same image of cinema pro for game mode under HDR? Although not quite as bright when in Cinema Pro I have a more accurate image (to my eyes) as apposed to the game mode, but with the added input lag it's not really an option. Both picture modes are on the same settings.

Brightness - Max
Color - 50
Color Temperature - Expert 1
Advanced. color temperature - Default
Live Color - off
Smooth Graduation - off
Contrast - 90
Gamma - 0
Black Level - 50
Black Adjust - off
Adv. contrast - off
Auto local dimming - Medium
X-Tended Dynamic Range - High
post #11951 of 19295 Old 01-30-2018, 11:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by megabitee View Post
FINALLY got HDR video from the Xbox One S.

Bought Wonder Woman on sale from Vudu - plays at 4K HDR using app on Xbox One S.
FYI, the Vudu app installed on the x900e does NOT do 4K.

Plex is working on direct streaming to Xbox One S/X, i.e. no transcoding, 4K resolution, no support yet for HDR
While trying to work this out it on my system, would be very nice to know if transcoding is occurring.

Is there any way to tell if the input to the TV is 1080 vs 4K?
Press the Display button on the remote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithsabom View Post
I recently got 75" 900e. whenever I power on, I get a message:" the USB device is drawing too much power" I don't have anything plugged into the USB port. the message goes away, and there are no other messages or issues. Anyone else see this?
That sounds like a defect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joolsy View Post
Anyway of recreating the same image of cinema pro for game mode under HDR? Although not quite as bright when in Cinema Pro I have a more accurate image (to my eyes) as apposed to the game mode, but with the added input lag it's not really an option. Both picture modes are on the same settings.

Brightness - Max
Color - 50
Color Temperature - Expert 1
Advanced. color temperature - Default
Live Color - off
Smooth Graduation - off
Contrast - 90
Gamma - 0
Black Level - 50
Black Adjust - off
Adv. contrast - off
Auto local dimming - Medium
X-Tended Dynamic Range - High
So you've matched the Game mode picture settings to the Cinema Pro and it doesn't look the same?

I believe the lag in the other settings has to do with the Motion settings. Try matching those in Cinema Pro to hose of the Game mode.
post #11952 of 19295 Old 01-30-2018, 01:01 PM

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Interesting the PKG6.2818.0075NAA firmware is still up on Sony's site.
post #11953 of 19295 Old 01-30-2018, 01:01 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac128 View Post
Were you previously using your PC successfully with an LED 4K HDR TV? If not, are you sure your PC graphics card supports it?

Since you were using the same port successfully with your PS4, we can assume you've already turned on HDMI enhanced settings, and confirmed HDR is engaged in Picture Adjustments menu?

Are you using the exact same picture settings as you were with the PS4, and if so, what are those settings? Every source is going to have different requirements, and your PC may be outputting a signal that needs very different adjustments compared to the PS4. If the PS4 otherwise has an excellent picture, my first suspicion would be the PC, NOT the 900E.

Way too many variables here to conclude the TV is at fault. In addition to the TV settings, you should also provide detailed settings of the video card and PC output settings.
My current monitor is the Asus Rog Swift G-Sync 1440p 144hz monitor. My PC specs are i7 5820k 4.2ghz, 16gb 2666mhz ram, GTX 980 Ti. The HDMI enhanced settings is turned on. I have had no problems with the TV watching blu rays or playing on the PS4 Pro, and I've had no issues with the PC on the monitor. HDR settings can be fixed by tinkering with the Windows settings but the input lag is my main concern and I don't understand why it happens. My TV settings are:
Brightness max
Color 55
Light sensor off
Contrast max
Gamma 0
Black level 50
Adv contrast enhancer off
Auto local dimming high
Xtended dynamic range high
Color temp cool
Live color high
Sharpness 50
Reality creation all off
All the noise reduction off
Smooth gradation off
Motionflow off
Film mode off
post #11954 of 19295 Old 01-30-2018, 01:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac128 View Post

So you've matched the Game mode picture settings to the Cinema Pro and it doesn't look the same?

I believe the lag in the other settings has to do with the Motion settings. Try matching those in Cinema Pro to hose of the Game mode.
Yup, same settings. All motion settings are off, input lag is still quite noticeable compared to game mode.
post #11955 of 19295 Old 01-30-2018, 01:16 PM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarpete987 View Post

Well, after watching the TV for more than a week, it definitely DOES have the edge halo. It is by far the least noticeable example of all the sets I've been through, and oddly enough, it's most prominent on the *right* side and not the left, as was the case with all of the other sets. It's at a level where I can honestly say I can tolerate it. I mean, a couple of those sets I'd had prior it was REAL bad. Visible on all content. This time, it's there but you have to look for it. But some things you just can't unsee...

A buddy of mine here at the school I work with got a 65X900E this past weekend. I asked him if I could come over. Yup. It has it, too. He's not particularly discerning, so he said it doesn't bother him, but even he noticed it WAS THERE. His had a December manufacture date.

There's so many possible factors here. The main issue is that it IS there, it EXISTS, and based on things I'm reading, they don't want to deal with it.

I'm still going to hold out until maybe later in the spring and then try to bring it up to the warranty department and possibly see if I can get an exchange for the upcoming X900F.
I can't comment on the 75 but I have definitely seen it on a 55.
post #11956 of 19295 Old 01-30-2018, 01:20 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by mingus View Post
Interesting the PKG6.2818.0075NAA firmware is still up on Sony's site.
If you try to download it, does it unzip for you?

After hearing about all the issues with this release, I'm going to wait for the next update for the fixes.
post #11957 of 19295 Old 01-30-2018, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
The issue is any technology has limitations unfortunately. QC is not bad, as 99% of the user do not see these things. Pick any car for under 100K, I guarantee you will see orange peel in the paint, unfortunately it is what it is. I bet the 900F will be the same. You can get an OLED and never have this type of issue but you will have other issues
Especially for those that don't use bias lights, it seems fairly prevalent, at least in this forum. Since you participate in many threads, do you see people talking about this phenomenon much in the X940E or Z9D owner's forums? Now, of course, we would probably have to normalize for ownership and there are probably a lot more X900E owners. I ask because my HX909 has no light bleed effects like this. The edges fade into the dark room, period. This was the Z9 of its day, made to compete the best it could with plasma. It was quite expensive back then. Maybe this particular PQ issue is largely avoided nearer the top by design/process and hence part of the cost?
post #11958 of 19295 Old 01-30-2018, 02:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by iphilologos View Post
Especially for those that don't use bias lights, it seems fairly prevalent, at least in this forum. Since you participate in many threads, do you see people talking about this phenomenon much in the X940E or Z9D owner's forums? Now, of course, we would probably have to normalize for ownership and there are probably a lot more X900E owners. I ask because my HX909 has no light bleed effects like this. The edges fade into the dark room, period. This was the Z9 of its day, made to compete the best it could with plasma. It was quite expensive back then. Maybe this particular PQ issue is largely avoided nearer the top by design/process and hence part of the cost?
Does biaslight really improve the colors and black level. Are all sorts biaslight a improve PQ or does it need the spec of 6500K with a cri around 90 ?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G900F met Tapatalk
post #11959 of 19295 Old 01-30-2018, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

My TV recently prompted me to update to the latest version of software and I did. Since then I've noticed that whenever I change channels from an SD channel to an HD channel I hear a loud screeching and pop through my speakers. My setup is Dish Network Hopper --> HDMI to TV ---> optical out to Sonos Soundbar. I was able to replicate that this only happened when switch from an SD channel to HD channel and not ever happening when going from HD to HD, or HD to SD.

I also tried this on another Sony TV in another room that is also hooked up to a Sonos Soundbar and that TV does not cause the same issues. So it appears isolated to the recent software update.

1) Has anyone else experienced this?
2) Is there a way to downgrade the software version?

Thanks in advance for any input, and I apologize if this has already been covered.
post #11960 of 19295 Old 01-30-2018, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Nevermind, I found my answer just a page back. Sounds exactly like my issue. Please disregard my previous entry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangback View Post
I just spoke with Sony customer support and they indicated that this firmware is currently on hold, due to the following issues:

- Some customers are experiencing some crackling or static noise or audio when changing channels with some set top boxes
- Continuing issues with Dolby Vision

They confirmed that as of right now, the most current firmware version is PKG6.2676.0070NAA, and that they were working on an update to correct the issues found in PKG6.2818.0075NAA.

They also said that once updated, the TV cannot be pushed back to an older version. With all the issues they were receiving with the latest update, they decided to stop the roll out of this firmware.

My question to them was, if it was really on hold, why was the file still posted on their website, and they said they would look into pulling it from there, if that makes any sense?
post #11961 of 19295 Old 01-30-2018, 02:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
OPs receiver was an older non-4K receiver, and they expressed that they have no desire to upgrade.
Sorry for the confusion! Yes, my receiver is older but I am using the dual HDMI outputs from my Sony 4K player so I am getting 4K and HDR on the TV and TrueHD/DTS-HD Master Audio via the receiver.

Anyone have any idea if I can get audio via the TV speakers while having the TV's optical out pass bitstream to my receiver? Upon further research, whether I choose "Auto 1" or "Auto 2" on the digital audio out, as soon as I choose "TV Speakers" (instead of "Audio System", the audio options defaults to PCM and is grayed out. Choosing "Audio System" and "Auto 1" is passing bitstream to my receiver.
post #11962 of 19295 Old 01-30-2018, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Sorry for the confusion! Yes, my receiver is older but I am using the dual HDMI outputs from my Sony 4K player so I am getting 4K and HDR on the TV and TrueHD/DTS-HD Master Audio via the receiver.
That's my misunderstanding then. I guess I didn't realize UHD BluRay players had dual outputs like that. That's interesting.
post #11963 of 19295 Old 01-30-2018, 02:55 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Which A/V receiver?

Hi, everyone

I'm expecting my 65x900 to be delivered later today. i currently have 2 brand new receivers (still in boxes) and planning to set up tv with one of them. One is Costco Yamaha TSR-5830, and the other is Pioneer Elite VSXLX102 (it was on sale at Best Buy, my son got it). I'm neither audio nor videophile, and I have simple 5.2 setup. Just need good sound, excellent picture and easy set up / maintenance. Used to own Onkyo, and have no experience with either brand. I'd hate to set up 1 receiver than than the other to compare, so I'd be very grateful to see if you, guys, can recommend one over other? I'd prefer leaving one box intact. Any recommendations?

P.S. Was also looking at Costco Yamaha TSR-7810 as well, but don't see much of a difference except extra connections.
If not for those 3, what would you recommend? My budget is $500 (prefer to stay in $400 range).
post #11964 of 19295 Old 01-30-2018, 03:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
That's my misunderstanding then. I guess I didn't realize UHD BluRay players had dual outputs like that. That's interesting.
Not all do. It's a nice feature for those of us with quality older HDMI-equipped receivers (that don't have 4K pass-through) who aren't ready to add additional speakers and upgrade the receiver to get Atmos/DTS-X.
post #11965 of 19295 Old 01-30-2018, 03:41 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jopat View Post
Did it once and hasnt done it again

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
How long you had it? And was it after update or factory reset etc? Thanks for info
post #11966 of 19295 Old 01-30-2018, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philly33flyers View Post
Hello,

My TV recently prompted me to update to the latest version of software and I did. Since then I've noticed that whenever I change channels from an SD channel to an HD channel I hear a loud screeching and pop through my speakers. My setup is Dish Network Hopper --> HDMI to TV ---> optical out to Sonos Soundbar. I was able to replicate that this only happened when switch from an SD channel to HD channel and not ever happening when going from HD to HD, or HD to SD.

I also tried this on another Sony TV in another room that is also hooked up to a Sonos Soundbar and that TV does not cause the same issues. So it appears isolated to the recent software update.

1) Has anyone else experienced this?
2) Is there a way to downgrade the software version?

Thanks in advance for any input, and I apologize if this has already been covered.
Check up in this thread it is effecting alot of people^.
post #11967 of 19295 Old 01-30-2018, 03:48 PM

Quote:
You can watch a movie and its on some dark scenes and is perfectly sharp edged on most other scenes, its in the tv and is noticable during certain content.
post #11968 of 19295 Old 01-30-2018, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick4K View Post
Does biaslight really improve the colors and black level. Are all sorts biaslight a improve PQ or does it need the spec of 6500K with a cri around 90 ?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G900F met Tapatalk
It can definitely improve the perception blacks levels being lower. However, I enjoy movies in the pitch dark so I am not an expert in this. There are many that do enjoy their biasing lighting on this thread. You might search for Kluken and Groove93 posts, for example. I believe they have supplied pictures and recommendations.
post #11969 of 19295 Old 01-30-2018, 04:49 PM

Quote:
You can watch a movie and its on some dark scenes and is perfectly sharp edged on most other scenes, its in the tv and is noticable during certain content.
post #11970 of 19295 Old 01-30-2018, 05:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1834 Post(s)
Liked: 1284
Quote:
Not all do. It's a nice feature for those of us with quality older HDMI-equipped receivers (that don't have 4K pass-through) who aren't ready to add additional speakers and upgrade the receiver to get Atmos/DTS-X.
As well as folks who do have the speaker setup for Dolby Atmos/DTS-X but have an older, non compliant HDMI 2.0 & HDCP 2.2 AVR and need to split audio and video. If Xbox One X had dual HDMI outputs, I’d buy it just for Netflix Atmos even though I’m not a gamer.

Hey folks - this amazing thread is 400 pages strong! To all you posters - thanks for keeping the Sony 900E great!

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, BenQ W1080ST, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)

Last edited by Ricoflashback; 01-30-2018 at 05:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
issues , motion , motionflow , problems , Sony , sound delay , x900e

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page