2017 Sony XBR 900E owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 400 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 40400Likes

post #11971 of 19305 Old 01-30-2018, 05:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarpete987 View Post
I've decided to keep my TV, but recently I went through this massive return/exchange saga where I finally got a TV (fifth one!) that at first I thought had no edge halo.

Well, after watching the TV for more than a week, it definitely DOES have the edge halo. It is by far the least noticeable example of all the sets I've been through, and oddly enough, it's most prominent on the *right* side and not the left, as was the case with all of the other sets. It's at a level where I can honestly say I can tolerate it. I mean, a couple of those sets I'd had prior it was REAL bad. Visible on all content. This time, it's there but you have to look for it. But some things you just can't unsee...

A buddy of mine here at the school I work with got a 65X900E this past weekend. I asked him if I could come over. Yup. It has it, too. He's not particularly discerning, so he said it doesn't bother him, but even he noticed it WAS THERE. His had a December manufacture date.

Maybe they've just gotten totally lax on their QC at this point. Because my parents have the 55X900E manufactured in July and it doesn't have it at all. And my other friend has the 75" and it doesn't have it at all.

Maybe this is just an issue with the 65"?

There's so many possible factors here. The main issue is that it IS there, it EXISTS, and based on things I'm reading, they don't want to deal with it.

I'm still going to hold out until maybe later in the spring and then try to bring it up to the warranty department and possibly see if I can get an exchange for the upcoming X900F.
My wife’s 55X900E has edge halo/bleed particularly noticeable at times on the left edge. Single biggest reason I am struck with my Vizio P65 with notorious flashing white line issue. I was ready to, and ordered a 65X900E, but not sure I can live with the edge bleed.

Sony 77A9G (Also XBR65X900E and XBR55X900E)
Denon x7200WA
Oppo BD-203
Klipsch RP-280F / RC-62ii / RP-140SA / RS-35 / RS-25
Dual PSA V1800s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11972 of 19305 Old 01-30-2018, 05:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by kluken View Post
My wife’s 55X900E has edge halo/bleed particularly noticeable at times on the left edge. Single biggest reason I am struck with my Vizio P65 with notorious flashing white line issue. I was ready to, and ordered a 65X900E, but not sure I can live with the edge bleed.
I just got a great deal on an open box at Best Buy. July 2017 build and no noticeable light bleed. Your 55" may have been defective since these are FALD sets.

On a different note, tv is wanting to update. Looks like its running a build from 6/30/17. Any reason I should update or best leave it alone?
post #11973 of 19305 Old 01-30-2018, 06:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Does anyone know why the " Direct tv Now " app is not available on the play store through my new 75x900e ?
A search of the play store shows nothing called " direct tv "
I did some site searches and couldn't find out much.

It may be time to just buy a Roku Ultra or something and forget letting the 900e stream anything

Last edited by avswonka; 01-30-2018 at 06:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11974 of 19305 Old 01-30-2018, 07:04 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just to add my 0.02 to the "light-bleed issue"... I've had the 75" for about 2 weeks now and I didn't notice any light bleed when watching it.
After starting to follow this thread, I looked for it a bit. Now, I sometimes notice a very faint band on the left side, but only in certain scenes. But without reading about it here, I would have never noticed it.
Also wanted to add that this TV is absolutely stunning! I am super glad I chose this model, and the 75" size is wonderful.
Furyus likes this.
post #11975 of 19305 Old 01-30-2018, 07:16 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by circusfreak View Post
Just to add my 0.02 to the "light-bleed issue"... I've had the 75" for about 2 weeks now and I didn't notice any light bleed when watching it.
After starting to follow this thread, I looked for it a bit. Now, I sometimes notice a very faint band on the left side, but only in certain scenes. But without reading about it here, I would have never noticed it.
Also wanted to add that this TV is absolutely stunning! I am super glad I chose this model, and the 75" size is wonderful.

X2 for me except i notice zero light bleed or banding. But, i may not know exactly what im looking for. There is certainly nothing negative that i notice. Picture is stunning to say the least.
post #11976 of 19305 Old 01-30-2018, 07:31 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Just got done watching " It Comes At Night" BD those dark scenes were totally awesome what a tv.
post #11977 of 19305 Old 01-30-2018, 07:42 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristCutlass View Post
You can watch a movie and its on some dark scenes and is perfectly sharp edged on most other scenes, its in the tv and is noticable during certain content.
It is quite odd. I've never experienced a phenomenon like this in any other TV. It's NOT actually light bleed, but a weird difference in brightness.

Because you can't see it on very very dark scenes. If the edge of the TV is black or extremely close to it, you don't see it at all.

Only on on *dim* scenes. And it is by far most prevalent on scenes that features grays or dark to mid-dark blues or greens.

It truly does depend on the type of scene being displayed.
iphilologos likes this.

TV: Sony XBR65X900E
Receiver: Yamaha RX-V479
Speakers: Fronts: Sony SS-F6000, Center: Sony SS-CN5000 , Rears: Sony SS-B1000, Sub: Sony SA-W3000
-pete-
post #11978 of 19305 Old 01-30-2018, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Well, I WILL say this issue is much easier to live with than I assume a flashing white line would be, oh my gosh that would be impossible.

Speakers: Fronts: Sony SS-F6000, Center: Sony SS-CN5000 , Rears: Sony SS-B1000, Sub: Sony SA-W3000
-pete-
post #11979 of 19305 Old 01-30-2018, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by circusfreak View Post
Much like what I've been through with my current set, my fifth one. I watched for almost a full two weeks after doing my last exchange. And then when watching something, I already forgot what it was, with some deep grays I noticed it, ON THE RIGHT SIDE. I think that's why I hadn't noticed it until then was because I had always been looking for it on the left. Which, incidentally, the left side is perfect on this TV.

But even still, it's the least noticeable yet on this set so that's why I've just decided to keep it.

I can't deal with any more exchanges. I just want to enjoy the beauty. I try not to look to the right side, LOL.

-pete-
post #11980 of 19305 Old 01-30-2018, 10:10 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Can anyone tell me who they'd rather deal with, when it comes to extended warranty, BB or Costco? I got the 65"X900E from both stores, both were manufactured Nov 2017 and yes both had the bad 1" light bleed on the left side and top. If you were to stick with one over the other, which one would be best to deal with, if any future issues were to happen? Thanks
post #11981 of 19305 Old 01-31-2018, 05:50 AM
Longtime Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Much like what I've been through with my current set, my fifth one. I watched for almost a full two weeks after doing my last exchange. And then when watching something, I already forgot what it was, with some deep grays I noticed it, ON THE RIGHT SIDE. I think that's why I hadn't noticed it until then was because I had always been looking for it on the left. Which, incidentally, the left side is perfect on this TV. ...
Maybe they mounted your panel upside down?

So far I've not seen any issues with my 75", although it's only been 4-5 days. <fingers crossed>
TonyS likes this.

pat----

Last edited by psklenar; 01-31-2018 at 06:03 AM.
post #11982 of 19305 Old 01-31-2018, 06:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flightpath View Post
Can anyone tell me who they'd rather deal with, when it comes to extended warranty, BB or Costco? I got the 65"X900E from both stores, both were manufactured Nov 2017 and yes both had the bad 1" light bleed on the left side and top. If you were to stick with one over the other, which one would be best to deal with, if any future issues were to happen? Thanks
Being a Canadian also, go with the Costco warranty. They double the manu warranty to 2 years and you can purchase the extended warranty for an additional 3 yrs. 5 yrs total for $100. Plus Costco's return policy is so much better than BB.
I have had issues with BB in the past with regards to their extended warranties.
my .02c
That was the reason I purchased my 75 from Costco.
post #11983 of 19305 Old 01-31-2018, 06:02 AM
Longtime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damar1979 View Post
However if your receiver is 4K HDR pass through, then you get the benefit of 4K, HDR, and lossless audio. It is a more complete experience
An option for folks who have an AVR or PrePro that doesn't support UHD could be the Transformative Engineering HDS-42AVR UHD HDMI Switch. When I bought this TV to replace my old HD one I realized that I couldn't use my old PrePro (Outlaw 975) to do my video switching any more. Adding the switch was cheaper than upgrading the PrePro and it works perfectly. Has four full range UHD inputs, one full range UHD pass-through output for connecting to the TV and one audio only pass-through output to the PrePro (or AVR). Fully HDCP 2.2 compliant.

http://www.transformativeengineering...ect/hds-42avr/

Just another option.

pat----

post #11984 of 19305 Old 01-31-2018, 06:58 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redoryx View Post
Quote:
Being a Canadian also, go with the Costco warranty. They double the manu warranty to 2 years and you can purchase the extended warranty for an additional 3 yrs. 5 yrs total for $100. Plus Costco's return policy is so much better than BB.
I have had issues with BB in the past with regards to their extended warranties.
my .02c
That was the reason I purchased my 75 from Costco.
Thanks Bud!
post #11985 of 19305 Old 01-31-2018, 07:22 AM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by avswonka View Post
Does anyone know why the " Direct tv Now " app is not available on the play store through my new 75x900e ?
A search of the play store shows nothing called " direct tv "
I did some site searches and couldn't find out much.

It may be time to just buy a Roku Ultra or something and forget letting the 900e stream anything
DirecTV Now does not have an Android TV app. You should look into the free Apple TV 4k promotion and then get into the beta. I use both Vue and DTV Now and the beta looks really good.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I WANT MORE likes this.
post #11986 of 19305 Old 01-31-2018, 07:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Coscto is good during first 2 years, ten you are SquareTrade. BB is awesome in the few experiences I have had with them. Plus at a certain point they will either replace or buy back the TV if you have too many issues.

I actually don't mind paying the higher BB costs becasue their service has been excellent.

Denon x7200WA
Oppo BD-203
Dual PSA V1800s
post #11987 of 19305 Old 01-31-2018, 07:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well, I WILL say this issue is much easier to live with than I assume a flashing white line would be, oh my gosh that would be impossible.
Not sure I agree, the edge bleed is never going away, the flashing white line is very intermittent and they will hopefully resolve that within my 90 day return perid, btu the Sony does have a very nice PQ that pops nicely.

Denon x7200WA
Oppo BD-203
Dual PSA V1800s
post #11988 of 19305 Old 01-31-2018, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Not sure I agree, the edge bleed is never going away, the flashing white line is very intermittent and they will hopefully resolve that within my 90 day return perid, btu the Sony does have a very nice PQ that pops nicely.
And you know, that's the only thing that doesn't have me switching to another brand.

Outside of this edge halo issue, everything else about the picture is probably the best I have ever seen from an LED. The color richness and depth of the black levels is just too good, especially with HDR going.

-pete-
post #11989 of 19305 Old 01-31-2018, 07:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 81
I just realized last night that I have been watching my TV the last couple days with different settings. I knew something was different at the time watching, but I didn't check to see what had changed since I started using bias lighting. So watching Peaky Blinders on Netflix through the android tv app, the HD picture looked really awesome. I was shocked it wasn't actual 4k. Anyway, there was definitely some blooming, but it didn't seem so bad with the bias lighting.

Here my XDR was set on HIGH (which I never use unless its HDR content). The only other settings that were on that I don't remember having on were REALITY CREATION - MANUAL 20 and SMOOTH GRADATION - LOW.

The XDR on HIGH did an amazing job at making this look like it was an HDR broadcast, but it wasn't without it's flaws (blooming and crushed blacks). I have no idea what REALITY CREATION and SMOOTH GRADATION does and if it would have an effect on this HD broadcast? Any one have details on those?

I ended up switching these all off for another episode to see the difference and while there isn't that stark HDR look, it was a more natural overall picture, just have to weigh that against the flaws with the other picture (which kinda worked for this over stylized show). It seemed like with those settings ON, the picture was a little more crisp and detailed, does that make any sense?
post #11990 of 19305 Old 01-31-2018, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddysnake View Post
I just realized last night that I have been watching my TV the last couple days with different settings. I knew something was different at the time watching, but I didn't check to see what had changed since I started using bias lighting. So watching Peaky Blinders on Netflix through the android tv app, the HD picture looked really awesome. I was shocked it wasn't actual 4k. Anyway, there was definitely some blooming, but it didn't seem so bad with the bias lighting.

Here my XDR was set on HIGH (which I never use unless its HDR content). The only other settings that were on that I don't remember having on were REALITY CREATION - MANUAL 20 and SMOOTH GRADATION - LOW.

The XDR on HIGH did an amazing job at making this look like it was an HDR broadcast, but it wasn't without it's flaws (blooming and crushed blacks). I have no idea what REALITY CREATION and SMOOTH GRADATION does and if it would have an effect on this HD broadcast? Any one have details on those?

I ended up switching these all off for another episode to see the difference and while there isn't that stark HDR look, it was a more natural overall picture, just have to weigh that against the flaws with the other picture (which kinda worked for this over stylized show). It seemed like with those settings ON, the picture was a little more crisp and detailed, does that make any sense?
Well, Reality Creation is a Sony technology that tries to improve the clarity and apparent resolution of SD content. It actually works really well in my experience at improving the look of standard DVDs on this TV.

Smooth Gradation improves the smoothness of color gradients, so you don't see color bands or "stair-stepping" in things like sunsets or glowing objects.
bradman and johnbrooke26 like this.

-pete-
post #11991 of 19305 Old 01-31-2018, 08:01 AM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by psklenar View Post
An option for folks who have an AVR or PrePro that doesn't support UHD could be the Transformative Engineering HDS-42AVR UHD HDMI Switch. When I bought this TV to replace my old HD one I realized that I couldn't use my old PrePro (Outlaw 975) to do my video switching any more. Adding the switch was cheaper than upgrading the PrePro and it works perfectly. Has four full range UHD inputs, one full range UHD pass-through output for connecting to the TV and one audio only pass-through output to the PrePro (or AVR). Fully HDCP 2.2 compliant.

http://www.transformativeengineering...ect/hds-42avr/

Just another option.
Only problem is a good switch can cost more than a new AVR. And you also will be adding more cables to your setup.

Most of us are not pure audiophiles and just want good sound, I was in the same boat and found a decent Denon that i'm very happy with and cleaned my up my wiring setup.
post #11992 of 19305 Old 01-31-2018, 08:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Well, Reality Creation is a Sony technology that tries to improve the clarity and apparent resolution of SD content. It actually works really well in my experience at improving the look of standard DVDs on this TV.
Thanks, so if it stays on, will it leave HD and 4k content as is? Basically like how True Cinema only works on 60p/60i content (supposedly)?
post #11993 of 19305 Old 01-31-2018, 08:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
And you know, that's the only thing that doesn't have me switching to another brand.

Outside of this edge halo issue, everything else about the picture is probably the best I have ever seen from an LED. The color richness and depth of the black levels is just too good, especially with HDR going.
I agree the Sony's are right up there with my OLED for color depth, richness and vibrancy. My Vision is not bad, but not int he same league.

Denon x7200WA
Oppo BD-203
Dual PSA V1800s
post #11994 of 19305 Old 01-31-2018, 09:00 AM

Just buy a roll of electrical tape and roll it down the sides problem solved.
cb86 likes this.
post #11995 of 19305 Old 01-31-2018, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omston View Post
Just buy a roll of electrical tape and roll it down the sides problem solved.

You know, that is almost too brilliant.

-pete-
post #11996 of 19305 Old 01-31-2018, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Just jesting go to settings display and see if its on normal. My daughter was playing a game and it had a white line across the bottom and one side it was in pixel mode. I set it to normal and it filled the screen like it was supposed to do also it might improve with some hours.
post #11997 of 19305 Old 01-31-2018, 09:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked: 300
Quote:
That's kind of wishful thinking, and speculative at that, since in both cases, the underlying problem is not necessarily understood. Some with the Sony light band have reported adjusting the screen size has reduced the light band. Others have reported its not in some content, and less visible in other, and more pronounced in yet other situations. So it's not necessarily a hardware only problem, and it's possible that a firmware fix may solve the problem. But good luck to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddysnake View Post
Thanks, so if it stays on, will it leave HD and 4k content as is? Basically like how True Cinema only works on 60p/60i content (supposedly)?
Probably not. It's going to have less to do in the case of an HD or 4K signal, so to the extent it's still active, it theoretically has less impact on higher quality pictures.
eddysnake likes this.
post #11998 of 19305 Old 01-31-2018, 10:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 167
I recently setup my 65"...is it normal for this TV to have a small lean backwards ?

JVC DLA-RS1000, 120″ EluneVision Reference Studio AudioWeave 2.35:1 CinemaScope screen, Marantz AV8802a Pre/Pro, Anthem MCA 525, Anthem MCA 225, Anthem PVA-4, Paradigm CI Elite E80-R ceiling speakers x4, Paradigm Prestige 95F, Paradigm Prestige 15B x4, Paradigm Prestige 55C, Paradigm Signature Sub 1, Panasonic UDP820 UHD player, OPPO 203 UHD player, Richard Gray 1200c Custom power conditioner, AC Infinity AIRCOM X4.
post #11999 of 19305 Old 01-31-2018, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omston View Post
Quote:
Just jesting go to settings display and see if its on normal. My daughter was playing a game and it had a white line across the bottom and one side it was in pixel mode. I set it to normal and it filled the screen like it was supposed to do also it might improve with some hours.
I have tried doing this but for 4K sources it forces the screen size so you can't change it.

I have tried this though when playing my PS2 through component and it DOES fix the problem to zoom the picture in. So I had already been wondering if this was a software problem indeed or if it is a software problem potentially tied to or exacerbated by faulty hardware.

-pete-
post #12000 of 19305 Old 01-31-2018, 11:15 AM
Longtime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javelin View Post
Only problem is a good switch can cost more than a new AVR. And you also will be adding more cables to your setup.

Most of us are not pure audiophiles and just want good sound, I was in the same boat and found a decent Denon that i'm very happy with and cleaned my up my wiring setup.
True, but there are a good number of folks who've invested in somewhat more expensive HD AVRs or PrePro's that such a UHD switch would be valid option for. In my case, it was definitely less expensive than buying the new PrePro I'd been considering before finding the switch. And both the video and audio appear pristine to my eyes and ears (and to my friends who helped me get up and running this past weekend. I really need to get up and move more for my health, but ... it's so tempting to get lost in those beautiful pixels.

As for increased cabling complexity ... it added two cables to my setup. Everything that had been plugged into my PrePro is now plugged into the switch and the switch goes to the TV. The "extra" connections are the audio pass-through from the switch to the PrePro and a connection from the PrePro to the TV to allow proper handshaking for the audio.

But, options are good ... some people will find adding a switch to the system to be an unneeded or undesired option whereas others will find it meets their needs perfectly.

pat----

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
issues , motion , motionflow , problems , Sony , sound delay , x900e

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page