2017 Sony XBR 900E owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 402 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 40382Likes

post #12031 of 19200 Old 02-01-2018, 11:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiken View Post
New owner here (very happy) but I've had a problem with the WiFi dropping every time I turn the TV off. Does anyone have a workaround or fix for this?
You don't clarify if it's the TV wifi dropping or your WiFi network (which it sounds like)

I along with others had a problem of the TV taking about 30 clicks to turn on and then it reboots.
The TV is like a computer running any other OS. When you power off it goes into sleep mode disconnection from the network, during it's sleep most likely another device with DHCP will grab that IP address the TV was using. Then the TV, with the same IP address still embedded will fail.

Either way, change over from DHCP to a Static IP address. That means for both wireless or hard wired.
Good Luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12032 of 19200 Old 02-01-2018, 12:10 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Long time; first time

Hi all. Long time reader and finally decided to start posting. After months and months of research and saving, I had finally decided on the 55", only to come to my senses and go with the 65" instead (the wall I mounted it on is only 70" wide and I was worried it would overwhelm the space... I was wrong, it's awesome) once they went back on sale a couple of weeks ago.

The only problem I have is that now I'm not satisfied with regular cable after watching content from better-quality sources. I'm hoping I eventually get used to it, but I'm still constantly fixated on the image details and would spend all of my time tweaking settings if it didn't drive my wife crazy. I've settled for just staying up way past my bedtime every night trying new settings and re-watching Planet Earth. And I have a Blade Runner 2049 rental to look forward to.

Anyway, want to thank you all for the invaluable information I've pulled from this thread. All the insights are much appreciated. Hope I can add some of my own in the future.
post #12033 of 19200 Old 02-01-2018, 01:34 PM

Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavytoo View Post
Normal for my 55, but annoying as it put my lamp light reflection on the to of the screen,
Likely done for safety reasons to balance the unit backwards.
Yes, and also with the 75". I confirmed this with a bubble level, and even with the base being perfectly level with the horizon, there a slight pitch backwards of where the stand connects to the TV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12034 of 19200 Old 02-01-2018, 02:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaslitnation View Post
You don't clarify if it's the TV wifi dropping or your WiFi network (which it sounds like)

I along with others had a problem of the TV taking about 30 clicks to turn on and then it reboots.
The TV is like a computer running any other OS. When you power off it goes into sleep mode disconnection from the network, during it's sleep most likely another device with DHCP will grab that IP address the TV was using. Then the TV, with the same IP address still embedded will fail.

Either way, change over from DHCP to a Static IP address. That means for both wireless or hard wired.
Good Luck.
I'll take a look into this. Yesterday when I turned on the TV I immediately clicked the Netflix button and it asked me to set up my WiFi. Backed out and went into settings and saw that I was connected. I pretty much had to reconnect and then I was good. This has only been happening the last couple days.
post #12035 of 19200 Old 02-01-2018, 02:17 PM

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLF21 View Post

The only problem I have is that now I'm not satisfied with regular cable after watching content from better-quality sources. I'm hoping I eventually get used to it, but I'm still constantly fixated on the image details and would spend all of my time tweaking settings if it didn't drive my wife crazy. I've settled for just staying up way past my bedtime every night trying new settings and re-watching Planet Earth. And I have a Blade Runner 2049 rental to look forward to.
That’s unfortunate. I thought upscaling was excellent on This TV. I guess the X1 Extreme chip in the 940, 930e and Z9D make a difference. I may have to reconsider This TV as I watch a lot of cable sports so upscaling is very important to me. Does cable content look worse than how it looked on your old set?
post #12036 of 19200 Old 02-01-2018, 03:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1796 Post(s)
Liked: 1272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bklynblaze View Post
That’s unfortunate. I thought upscaling was excellent on This TV. I guess the X1 Extreme chip in the 940, 930e and Z9D make a difference. I may have to reconsider This TV as I watch a lot of cable sports so upscaling is very important to me. Does cable content look worse than how it looked on your old set?
No TV today can totally compensate for poor source content, whether that be a highly compressed cable signal or a poorly mastered DVD. We’re all making the best of a bad situation.

As I’ve stated many times before, with the Sony 900E, we have a race car that can reach 160 mph but we’re stuck in a 60 mph “content” lane.

That being said, I believe the Sony 900E does as good a job or better in upscaling 720p or 1080i sources than any other 4K TV on market - especially for its price range.
psklenar, Todd Scott and TLF21 like this.

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, BenQ W1080ST, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)
post #12037 of 19200 Old 02-01-2018, 03:24 PM

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post
No TV today can totally compensate for poor source content, whether that be a highly compressed cable signal or a poorly mastered DVD. We’re all making the best of a bad situation.

As I’ve stated many times before, with the Sony 900E, we have a race car that can reach 160 mph but we’re stuck in a 60 mph “content” lane.

That being said, I believe the Sony 900E does as good a job or better in upscaling 720p or 1080i sources than any other 4K TV on market - especially for its price range.
Yea I hear ya..in curious as to what provider he uses. I have Verizon Fios. Don’t know if that makes a difference or not
post #12038 of 19200 Old 02-01-2018, 03:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
One of my frind got the 75XE9005, and its phonemonal!
He had Sammy KS series before, but its not in the same league. If somebody think about this modell, dont hesitate!
post #12039 of 19200 Old 02-01-2018, 05:11 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I've come to the conclusion this is the best set i've ever seen. That pic is so clean this tv has to be a ringer to get the word out Sony's the one to beat.

Last edited by omston; 02-01-2018 at 05:23 PM.
post #12040 of 19200 Old 02-01-2018, 05:40 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Hi all. Long time reader and finally decided to start posting. After months and months of research and saving, I had finally decided on the 55", only to come to my senses and go with the 65" instead (the wall I mounted it on is only 70" wide and I was worried it would overwhelm the space... I was wrong, it's awesome) once they went back on sale a couple of weeks ago.

Anyway, want to thank you all for the invaluable information I've pulled from this thread. All the insights are much appreciated. Hope I can add some of my own in the future.
I had similar issue and I found a workaround to address this. I found that Sony XBR900E does a poor upscaling if the input is 1080i (which most of the broadcasters transmit in). I took an old Google TV device (Vizio Costar VAP430) and set it up such that it outputs a 1080p signal. The output of cable box connects to the HDMI input of VAP430 & the HDMI output of VAP430 connects to TV. With this arrangement, I can get close to 4K quality output from Cable sources. Basically my inference is that Sony XBR900E doesn't seem to handle interlaced content well.
post #12041 of 19200 Old 02-01-2018, 05:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by omston View Post
I've come to the conclusion this is the best set i've ever seen. That pic is so clean this tv has to be a ringer to get the word out Sony's the one to beat.
This kinda goes for me also. I tried the Samsung 65" 8000 and really wasn't that happy with it. No matter how much I tweaked it couldn't get it to look right. So I returned it and bought the 65" 900 and it looks great. I was on the fence on going with the 930 and still may try it out but the 900 is really nice.
guitarpete987 likes this.
post #12042 of 19200 Old 02-01-2018, 05:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Finally got the chromecast ultra and hooked it up.
YouTube in 4k hdr is amazing.
I WANT MORE likes this.
post #12043 of 19200 Old 02-01-2018, 06:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

I have to agree. I just got the 55" and I was dismayed that my old Sony XBR from 2009 was sharper. But it's not with just regular cable, it's sharper with Netflix too, which is built into my cable box. (Soon I will try the 900E's Netflix). Plus the viewing angles suck as well. Unless you're near dead center, the picture gets washed out. I'm actually thinking about calibrating my TV while sitting on an angle and seeing what it looks like dead center.
post #12044 of 19200 Old 02-01-2018, 06:28 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gates View Post
I recently setup my 65"...is it normal for this TV to have a small lean backwards ?
I would note that my just recently set up 75" has a very slight lean backwards..... whazzup with that?

Sony XBR-75X900E / Marantz AV8801 / Emotiva XPA-5 / Oppo BDP-103 / Paradigm Studio 40v2 / Paradigm Studio CC490 / Paradigm ADP190 / SVS PC12-NSD x2 -- "Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end; then stop." --Lewis Carroll
post #12045 of 19200 Old 02-01-2018, 06:33 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Schiller View Post
Finally got the chromecast ultra and hooked it up.
YouTube in 4k hdr is amazing.
OK, and from what I'm reading on other threads, the YouTube app built into the 900E series will *not* actually display YouTube in 4K HDR, correct? So one would need to use Chromecast or Roku Ultra or maybe Nvidia Shield if that device has YouTube 4K....

Thoughts?

Sony XBR-75X900E / Marantz AV8801 / Emotiva XPA-5 / Oppo BDP-103 / Paradigm Studio 40v2 / Paradigm Studio CC490 / Paradigm ADP190 / SVS PC12-NSD x2 -- "Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end; then stop." --Lewis Carroll
post #12046 of 19200 Old 02-01-2018, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awardb View Post
OK, and from what I'm reading on other threads, the YouTube app built into the 900E series will *not* actually display YouTube in 4K HDR, correct? So one would need to use Chromecast or Roku Ultra or maybe Nvidia Shield if that device has YouTube 4K....

Thoughts?

Chromecast ultra yes, Shield no. I use a Sony X800 4K Blu-ray player for HDR YouTube, and the Shield for everything else.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #12047 of 19200 Old 02-01-2018, 07:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Have somewhat of a stupid question about this TV. I am thinking about getting the 49" for the bedroom as it is at a good price but wanted to see if when it is turned off if there is any light on the front (standby). Since we will wall mount it the wife goes bonkers for any kind of light in the room. I have an 65X850C in my living room and it doesn't have a standby light when it turns off so hoping the X900E is the same.

Thanks in advance.
post #12048 of 19200 Old 02-01-2018, 07:53 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbrooke26 View Post
I'd love to add them to the spreadsheet
UPDATE: Located mikeyphd from an Xbox One forum who has 3 settings, one specifically for Sports. The spreadsheet has the direct link and the settings added. Thanks, and can't wait to try them myself.
Link to this spreadsheet, please.
post #12049 of 19200 Old 02-01-2018, 09:13 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by murali_v_2000 View Post
I had similar issue and I found a workaround to address this. I found that Sony XBR900E does a poor upscaling if the input is 1080i (which most of the broadcasters transmit in). I took an old Google TV device (Vizio Costar VAP430) and set it up such that it outputs a 1080p signal. The output of cable box connects to the HDMI input of VAP430 & the HDMI output of VAP430 connects to TV. With this arrangement, I can get close to 4K quality output from Cable sources. Basically my inference is that Sony XBR900E doesn't seem to handle interlaced content well.
I disagree. I have an OTA antenna, and watch all of my broadcast TV that way. As you say it's mostly 1080i, and 720p, and it all looks amazing. So it's not 1080i signals. It's the source in general. In particular, some cable TV and satellite companies have extremely poor signals, which this TV can unfortunately expose, and it can vary channel by channel. I suspect your solution is cleaning up the signal coming from the cable box (why your cable box doesn't have a 1080p output is beyond me, and I would think about upgrading your cable box), but if it solves your problem, then thats all that matters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZNole View Post
Have somewhat of a stupid question about this TV. I am thinking about getting the 49" for the bedroom as it is at a good price but wanted to see if when it is turned off if there is any light on the front (standby). Since we will wall mount it the wife goes bonkers for any kind of light in the room. I have an 65X850C in my living room and it doesn't have a standby light when it turns off so hoping the X900E is the same.

Thanks in advance.
No standby light.
post #12050 of 19200 Old 02-01-2018, 09:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac128 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by murali_v_2000 View Post
I disagree. I have an OTA antenna, and watch all of my broadcast TV that way. As you say it's mostly 1080i, and 720p, and it all looks amazing. So it's not 1080i signals. It's the source in general. In particular, some cable TV and satellite companies have extremely poor signals, which this TV can unfortunately expose, and it can vary channel by channel. I suspect your solution is cleaning up the signal coming from the cable box (why your cable box doesn't have a 1080p output is beyond me, and I would think about upgrading your cable box), but if it solves your problem, then thats all that matters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZNole View Post

Thanks in advance.
No standby light.
Thanks
post #12051 of 19200 Old 02-02-2018, 01:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majestyk View Post
I have to agree. I just got the 55" and I was dismayed that my old Sony XBR from 2009 was sharper. But it's not with just regular cable, it's sharper with Netflix too, which is built into my cable box. (Soon I will try the 900E's Netflix). Plus the viewing angles suck as well. Unless you're near dead center, the picture gets washed out. I'm actually thinking about calibrating my TV while sitting on an angle and seeing what it looks like dead center.
Ok, I tried the 900E's Netflix and it's WAY better. The signal is 100% too, so it's nice and fast. My cable box is just pathetic by comparison.
post #12052 of 19200 Old 02-02-2018, 02:33 AM

Is it me?

I use to be the ultimate videophile years ago but now I'm just laid back with that.

I picked up the 55x900e during Black Friday and right out the box I loved the picture (after changing the Motion Flow eliminating the Soap opera effect.)

I don't have cable/OTA and mostly stream. I'm coming from a 46" 2007 Bravia, I've not felt the need to change any other settings being amazed at the picture quality. With the exception of having the 'Power On' problem which I've resolved and I'm really happy.
I don't change the picture settings whilst changing between broadcast and movies ever.

Am I missing something?
Thank you.
post #12053 of 19200 Old 02-02-2018, 05:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgruber12 View Post
I know hardly anyone else has this issue but I do know some other people have complained so I'd like to update my audio lag issues.

I believe my audio lag is very specific to my setup. I have a Sony 2017 75x900e TV & a Sony 2017 STR-DN1080 receiver. They are connected via ARC & I have experienced audio delay ever since I hooked up them after purchase in October. I see mouths start to move then the audio kicks in. I see this lag on all inputs on the TV, especially the coax/antennae connection cause that's what I watch most, OTA TV.

The lag decreases noticeably if I change the digital audio out setting on the TV from Auto1 to PCM but that also reduces my audio to 2-channel but that is the only way I've been able to reduce it. However, for some reason, internal apps like Netflix or HBO Go do not have lag issues, even in dolby digitial or dolby digital plus. It's the just inputs on the TV.

Anyway, I have an open case with Sony & it's been upgraded to the engineer/dev team. I'm hopefully optimistic it's going to get fixed & will update everyone if we find a solution.
I had the same issues with the Sony 1080 AVR.
I returned it and went back to Pioneer (which I've been with for years).
No more lip sync issues.

Perhaps I misremembered.

post #12054 of 19200 Old 02-02-2018, 05:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 60
I have the 1080 and DirecTV and will get lag occasionally.
I just go through the menus and turn Dolby Digital off or even the receiver.
I don't need 5.1 sound when the wife wants to watch HGTV

Going back to my old reciever is a non option.
Can't give up 4k HDR switching and Dolby Atmos for a little random broadcast lag.
post #12055 of 19200 Old 02-02-2018, 05:35 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac128 View Post

No standby light.
I agree with you on this. I just got my 55" 900E the other day and so far I've pretty much only watched OTA shows through my Tivo Roamio and the picture is clear, sharp and beautiful colors. Better than the 2006 Panny Viera 720p plasma it replaced. My initial thought was the same when I saw the comment about 1080i being the issue. I definitely don't think it's that. My 1080i stuff looks really really good.
BJHebert and Mac128 like this.
post #12056 of 19200 Old 02-02-2018, 06:02 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
I know hardly anyone else has this issue but I do know some other people have complained so I'd like to update my audio lag issues.

I believe my audio lag is very specific to my setup. I have a Sony 2017 75x900e TV & a Sony 2017 STR-DN1080 receiver. They are connected via ARC & I have experienced audio delay ever since I hooked up them after purchase in October. I see mouths start to move then the audio kicks in. I see this lag on all inputs on the TV, especially the coax/antennae connection cause that's what I watch most, OTA TV.

The lag decreases noticeably if I change the digital audio out setting on the TV from Auto1 to PCM but that also reduces my audio to 2-channel but that is the only way I've been able to reduce it. However, for some reason, internal apps like Netflix or HBO Go do not have lag issues, even in dolby digitial or dolby digital plus. It's the just inputs on the TV.

Anyway, I have an open case with Sony & it's been upgraded to the engineer/dev team. I'm hopefully optimistic it's going to get fixed & will update everyone if we find a solution.
Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum and new to 900e TV which I got it yesterday. My earlier set up was, not a smart TV but I have connected my old SONY TV with Yamaha receiver(RX-V679) with one HDMI cable which was taking(content from chrome cast/fire tv/xbox) the audio-video signal to TV from receiver and returning audio back to the receiver.

And for OTA channels which I was getting thru the external antenna connected to the TV, I was getting audio ONLY thru TV speakers NOT thru the receiver. My assumption was, TV doesn't send just Audio back to receiver for OTA channels.

with 900E, when I play anything from in-built app like chromecast, I am not getting Audio to receiver, do I need to add additional cable(for Audio alone for the content played from in-built apps) back to receiver apart from HDMI which is connected between TV and receiver ? Or do I need to make any changes in setting so that I can use existing HDMI cable to get the audio from TV to Receiver ?

Thank you for the input.
post #12057 of 19200 Old 02-02-2018, 06:07 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Schiller View Post
I have the 1080 and DirecTV and will get lag occasionally.
I just go through the menus and turn Dolby Digital off or even the receiver.
I don't need 5.1 sound when the wife wants to watch HGTV

Going back to my old reciever is a non option.
Can't give up 4k HDR switching and Dolby Atmos for a little random broadcast lag.
Can you tell me if your DirectTV box is connected to the receiver or the TV itself? In my troubleshooting if you have the cable box plugged into the receiver you shouldn't have any audio lag but if you running it to one of the HDMI inputs on the back of the TV you should.

I have a PS4 plugged into the receiver & there's no audio lag at all. But if I take that same PS4 & plug it into the back the TV and funnel the audio through ARC I get audio lag.
post #12058 of 19200 Old 02-02-2018, 06:18 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

I'm experiencing a decent amount of lip-sync issues as well. Curiosly it's the opposite direction. At first I thought the audio was lagging but after playing with it I discovered that my perception was actually opposite of what was happening. Adjusting the audio delay on my Onkyo NR656 it turns out the audio is actually 50 - 100ms ahead of the video on built in apps (depending on resolution / bitrate) and about 200 - 250ms on OTA channels. Which, in a lot of ways makes sense because the audio is getting passed straight through with no processing versus the video processing which introduces lag. It's not that big of a deal for me given that I use built in apps for 95% of viewing so leaving my receiver at 50ms delay is typically adequate.

I'm curious if you could be in the same situation as me and switching to PCM actually adds lag to the audio (re-encoding it) causing it to line up with the video better? I don't mean to say that your perception is wrong and it's probably not, I just know mine was.
post #12059 of 19200 Old 02-02-2018, 06:30 AM

Currently I have a 930e and have a question (or 2) for the 900e owners. First, I do not think the picture quality on a cable (1080i signal) is that great (I have Spectrum cable and am also using Playstation Vue app directly off the TV). I am comparing this to my two year old Samsung JS9000, which honestly has a phenomenal picture for just watching TV, which is what we mostly do. Second, I do get some pixel images during fast moving scenes like water running on Blue Planet (I think I have read and tried every picture setting combination possible, at least it feels that way!). Again, only with the 1080i signal. Everything else is honestly really good. HDR and 4K is just awesome.

Has anyone compared a 1080i signal on the 930 vs 900? Does anyone have experience with an older Samsung or newer (Q7, Q9, etc.) having better picture quality than the Sony on a lower "cable" signal?

As an FYI, I have premium HDMI cables, etc. I'm even on my second 930e. I still have 6 days to take this one back for a full refund exchange so I am trying to make a decision.

Thanks.
post #12060 of 19200 Old 02-02-2018, 06:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaslitnation View Post
Am I missing something?
Thank you.
Same boat as you. I've adjusted some of the modes depending on the input - Comcast, I set it at standard or Sports, or occasionally Cinema, and when I'm playing off my Xbox One, I set it to Games. Switch it to Standard or Cinema if I'm watching a movie/streaming/etc. I'm happy with the defaults as is, and don't have the time to go through every setting to adjust this or tweak that a little bit. Not that there's anything wrong with it, but everyone's display area is different. And when I watch TV at noon, there's more light than when I watch a movie a 9:00 PM. So I'm quite content with the picture setting as they are. I previously had a Mitsubishi 65" 1080p screen, and I do notice the better picture. I'm content with the defaults, and don't have the need or desire to spend forever getting it "just right".

Xbox: Deezul
Sony XBR-65X900E, Sony XBR-49X900E
Go Jackets!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
issues , motion , motionflow , problems , Sony , sound delay , x900e

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page