2017 Sony XBR 900E owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 413 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 40400Likes

post #12361 of 19305 Old 02-09-2018, 05:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 4
I still don't understand why 1080p looks horrible over Comcast, yet wifi 1080 content looks totally fine on this TV...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12362 of 19305 Old 02-09-2018, 05:17 PM

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by circusfreak View Post
Questions on the built-in Amazon Video app on the 900e:

First of all, is there anywhere in the app or on the Amazon site where it specifies which programs are in 4K or HDR? I thought for sure I heard that Grand Tour was at least in 4K.

I fired up Grand Tour and when I pause it says 1080p. It still looks pretty amazing, but I thought it was supposed to be available in 4K.

Why does the "Display info" button not seem to work when I am running any of the internal apps? It only seems to pop up the info when I am using an external streamer, like my Chromecast Ultra.

BTW, watching something like Planet Earth in 4K HDR on this 75" behemoth gives me 0% buyer's remorse about the price of the 900E. Just awesome!

Thanks for the info!

For some reason the Amazon app (at least on Apple TV) has 4K and non-4K versions of their shows. You’re probably watching the standard HD version.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #12363 of 19305 Old 02-09-2018, 06:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Sooooo.... what do you do when audio is behind video for antenna only?

Using digital antenna into coax of TV and ARC HDMI to Denon receiver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12364 of 19305 Old 02-09-2018, 06:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 948 Post(s)
Liked: 324
I have an optical cable connected to my 65 900e and have it connected to my receiver but Im not getting 5.1 surround on Netflix .What setting should I set my audio out to on the tv to get 5.1 surround out of optical cable? thanks

Matt
post #12365 of 19305 Old 02-09-2018, 06:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by freestylee30 View Post
> Is there some definitive way to know if what you are watching is HDR? Or is there something online you all can point me at to help me see the difference between normal and HDR? I've been watching Altered Carbon on Netfilx (via the TV app) and it does look amazing. When I press the 'display' button on the remote I see something like 15.xxx Mbps / 2160, which I assume means UHD or 4K but I'm not sure what I'm seeing is HDR? Same thing with the Xbox, I believe I have it setup correctly for HDR, but I'm not sure my untrained eyes notice the difference... (again )

Thanks for any info you might have!
Display button is inconsistent on this TV. Some apps it does absolutely nothing -- like Amazon. You can confirm HDR by using the Action/Picture Adjustments menu and you'll see an HDR flag in the top right hand corner of the menu if it's engaged.
freestylee30 likes this.
post #12366 of 19305 Old 02-09-2018, 06:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks_mandrill View Post
I still don't understand why 1080p looks horrible over Comcast, yet wifi 1080 content looks totally fine on this TV...

Because they are completely different signals and Comcast sucks. And it varies by region and individual connection. You'll need to adjust a picture settings mode for watching Comcast to make up for some of its short falls. You will not be able to use the same picture settings for a pristine signal, as you do for a garbage one.
psklenar and djdel002 like this.
post #12367 of 19305 Old 02-09-2018, 06:52 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg3 View Post
I have an optical cable connected to my 65 900e and have it connected to my receiver but Im not getting 5.1 surround on Netflix .What setting should I set my audio out to on the tv to get 5.1 surround out of optical cable? thanks
In Settings > Audio, make sure you are choosing "Audio System". This will pass 5.1 (bitstream) over optical but nothing to the TV speakers. If you choose "TV Speakers", it sends audio to the TV and PCM over optical. If set this way, my receiver does not get 5.1. At least this is how my 900E is working. It took me a while to figure out as my old Panny plasma used to pass audio to the TV speakers while still sending bitstream (5.1) over optical to my receiver.
post #12368 of 19305 Old 02-09-2018, 07:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 948 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyS View Post
In Settings > Audio, make sure you are choosing "Audio System". This will pass 5.1 (bitstream) over optical but nothing to the TV speakers. If you choose "TV Speakers", it sends audio to the TV and PCM over optical. If set this way, my receiver does not get 5.1. At least this is how my 900E is working. It took me a while to figure out as my old Panny plasma used to pass audio to the TV speakers while still sending bitstream (5.1) over optical to my receiver.
Thanks,I do have it set to audio system and when I went to optical out settings on the 900e there was an audio one option and an audio 2 option as well as a PCM option which I don't want. I have the audio 1 option but still get no 5.1 on anything on Netflix. Maybe Netflix has just stopped streaming 5.1 but I find that hard to believe. My Roku that Im using to give me Netflix audio is set to 5.1 and DTS so its not the Roku.

Matt
post #12369 of 19305 Old 02-09-2018, 08:27 PM

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:

Probably because cable is about the worst signal you can get.
post #12370 of 19305 Old 02-09-2018, 09:02 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg3 View Post
Thanks,I do have it set to audio system and when I went to optical out settings on the 900e there was an audio one option and an audio 2 option as well as a PCM option which I don't want. I have the audio 1 option but still get no 5.1 on anything on Netflix. Maybe Netflix has just stopped streaming 5.1 but I find that hard to believe. My Roku that Im using to give me Netflix audio is set to 5.1 and DTS so its not the Roku.
I had this problem as well. I toggled some of the audio settings on the TV, then toggled them back to what they originally were, then Dolby Digital started coming out of the optical output of the TV from the Netflix app.
post #12371 of 19305 Old 02-09-2018, 10:16 PM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Looks like Dish’s channel 540 is going to have a 4K HDR of some select Olympic events. I told the DVR to record the series. Unless I missed it, it looks like they are going to broadcast the opening ceremony tomorrow. I did catch a bit of some loop of Pyeongchang tonight. It was 1080i but the TV recognized it as HDR. Looked muted in color. I sure hope that they were just trying to save bandwidth rather than there being some kind of issue with the 4K Hopper and my TV. Anybody catch that loop or have ever caught the extremely rare 4K HDR on Dish 540 with this TV?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #12372 of 19305 Old 02-10-2018, 02:36 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DG_ View Post
I just posted the below in the samsung mu8000 thread, but would also appreciate if anyone here has any feedback.

"I've been sifting through most threads discussing the 82 mu8000 and the 75 x900e as I was torn between which one to buy. As expected, most feel the Sony to have a better picture. The real estate difference between a 75 and 82 is huge and I felt that maybe I would not notice much of a pq difference as I'm more of a casual viewer. Well, I ended up buying both to compare (almost impossible to get a good idea in store) and the mu8000 looks terrible when compared to the x900e. It's much dimmer, colors seemed washed out, and details are less pronounced. Both sets are for the most part following rtings settings and are on the same mode and color temp.
I truly did not expect the difference to be so apparent, so now I'm wondering if I might have gotten a dud panel with the samsung. Has anyone else here compared these two models and gotten any different results?"
I had both in my living room for several days in order to compare (both 75” models). I was finally able to make the Samsung appear close to the picture quality and brightness of the Sony using various content. But in order to do so, I was turning up all the features of the Samsung Which resulted in noticeable exaggerations in contrast especially. It did OK with motion but I like the way the Sony handles that better, although there is much more experimentation with it to get it how I like it.
The Samsung had a far far greater user interface than the Sony—much more refined and smooth. However the Sony had a much better picture. I really wanted to like the Samsung since it was 20% less than the Sony at the time, available at Costco, and with a free square trade warrantee. But I couldn’t live with the picture after using the Sony.

In general, the Samsung MU8000 had an overall dimmer picture. It was accurate for the most part, but not as vibrant as the X900E in some scenes. I tested them side by side using the same content at the same time with the built in apps—SD, HD, and 4K with and without HDR. When you compare the pictures it’s important to not just see the main object (faces, cars, animals, etc), but to also look at the sky and other background images. There should be detail all over. When I got the Samsung to show a good picture, the sky was washed out more, and the tone mapping of fireballs and other bright objects lacked more detail. Not a lot, but obviously noticeable when side by side. At the same time, I could notice more blooming on the Samsung since it doesn’t do local dimming as well. You really only see this in a dark room though.

I had the Samsung in the house first, never expecting to get anything different, but I was disappointed in some of the content so I started comparing brands more when I found out about the X900E. I’m happy I spent the extra money on it in the end.
RUBEN PORTILLO likes this.
post #12373 of 19305 Old 02-10-2018, 05:40 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just started having a power issued with my 65X900E. When I go to turn it on in the morning the last few days it won?t power on unless I unplug and plug back in the power cord.

Any one else with similar experiences or reccomendations?
post #12374 of 19305 Old 02-10-2018, 06:31 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Issues getting 4K HDR on Netflix / Amazon

Hello everyone,

I've been enjoying the TV and everything looks great. I just discovered that I am not getting the HDR / 4K streams in Netflix or Amazon. I've hit the display button and seeing a streaming speed of 1 mb / 480 on these. Lots of pixels and rough edges showing up on streaming.

Currently I have a Linksys WRT-3200ACM router and have it connected directly to the TV via Ethernet. I also tried linking the TV to the Router's 5 ghz band as well to see if it solves the problem but that band already has 9 devices on it.

I'm trying to figure out how to get the speeds up so we can stream 4K / HDR content. It's driving me nuts!

I am wondering if it is the cable modem itself as it is about 5-7 years old so may not be hitting the top speeds - we subscribe to a 40 mB download package from the company.

I also did a speedtest off Speedtest.net and getting a 43 mbs / download speed.

Any thoughts here?

THanks,
cwoguelph
post #12375 of 19305 Old 02-10-2018, 07:37 AM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwoguelph View Post
Hello everyone,

I've been enjoying the TV and everything looks great. I just discovered that I am not getting the HDR / 4K streams in Netflix or Amazon. I've hit the display button and seeing a streaming speed of 1 mb / 480 on these. Lots of pixels and rough edges showing up on streaming.

Currently I have a Linksys WRT-3200ACM router and have it connected directly to the TV via Ethernet. I also tried linking the TV to the Router's 5 ghz band as well to see if it solves the problem but that band already has 9 devices on it.

I'm trying to figure out how to get the speeds up so we can stream 4K / HDR content. It's driving me nuts!

I am wondering if it is the cable modem itself as it is about 5-7 years old so may not be hitting the top speeds - we subscribe to a 40 mB download package from the company.

I also did a speedtest off Speedtest.net and getting a 43 mbs / download speed.

Any thoughts here?

THanks,
cwoguelph
That modem could be the culprit, an upgrade there would be a good place to start!
kluken likes this.
post #12376 of 19305 Old 02-10-2018, 07:44 AM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I noticed this too, I just got the XG1v4 box yesterday and it does improve the 1080p picture a little but still not like 1080p stuff on Fire TV etc.
I was surprised how bad it looked when I first hooked up tv. I understood xfinity wouldn't be true 4k so I expected some quality loss but wow fuzzy, blurry looked like my old Mitsubishi projection screen from the old days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac128 View Post
Because they are completely different signals and Comcast sucks. And it varies by region and individual connection. You'll need to adjust a picture settings mode for watching Comcast to make up for some of its short falls. You will not be able to use the same picture settings for a pristine signal, as you do for a garbage one.

Sony 65" X900E Sony UBP-X800 4K Blu-Ray Roku Ultra, Apple TV 4K
Onkyo TX-nr656
Polk S15s, S35 and TL1 satellite rears, TL1 satellite heights Atmos 5.1.2
HSU VTF-2 MK5
post #12377 of 19305 Old 02-10-2018, 08:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bKid23 View Post
Just started having a power issued with my 65X900E. When I go to turn it on in the morning the last few days it won?t power on unless I unplug and plug back in the power cord.

Yes, I've had this problem off an on since I bought the TV back in March. A couple of updates and factory resets later it stopped doing this from about June until December, where it did it over a couple of weeks a few times, now it's stopped again, and working perfectly.

I wasn't sure it had to do with a recent update or not. Unfortunately I do not have a direct correlation as to why it happened, nor why it resolved itself either time.

I did find that unplugging it from the set, not the wall, ruled out the PSU, and prevented a reboot with the Android launch screen. That was the last time I did it. And instead of a hard reboot, the TV merely turned on as normal, after the PMU presumably reset. Not sure why this would make a difference, but it hasn't happened again for me to check it out further.

I read on an earlier post something about using internal apps, and turning off the TV while streaming something could cause a router reassignment while the TVs off creating a conflict, since the TV never turns off, just standby where it's looking for network traffic -- this is how the TV can be turned on from a phone app. I did notice that it seemed to happen when I used a built-in browser app. And stopped happening after I started using my Apple TV for most streaming. The only thing that changed in December was that Amazon updated their app, which is part of the 900E system software, and not a standalone app. Perhaps that caused some issues, if this theory is to be believed.

Last edited by Mac128; 02-10-2018 at 09:12 AM.
post #12378 of 19305 Old 02-10-2018, 09:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked: 1285
Quote:

Three reasons - compression, compression, compression. I have Comcast’s top tier cable package and all the bandwidth is sucked up in the 150 channels that I never watch.

One comparison of OTA (antenna) local channels versus the same channel on cable and you’ll see what I mean. Live TV poses many more problems, PQ wise, than recorded and mastered content like on Netflix whose picture quality is absolutely stunning.

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, BenQ W1080ST, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)
post #12379 of 19305 Old 02-10-2018, 09:30 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6849 Post(s)
Liked: 6848
Quote:
Originally Posted by bKid23 View Post

Sometimes these electronics just glitch out......If it continues Sony will come out for free to fix or replace it.
post #12380 of 19305 Old 02-10-2018, 10:07 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post
Three reasons - compression, compression, compression. I have Comcast’s top tier cable package and all the bandwidth is sucked up in the 150 channels that I never watch.

One comparison of OTA (antenna) local channels versus the same channel on cable and you’ll see what I mean. Live TV poses many more problems, PQ wise, than recorded and mastered content like on Netflix whose picture quality is absolutely stunning.
I think we should all boycott.

post #12381 of 19305 Old 02-10-2018, 10:11 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac128 View Post
Display button is inconsistent on this TV. Some apps it does absolutely nothing -- like Amazon. You can confirm HDR by using the Action/Picture Adjustments menu and you'll see an HDR flag in the top right hand corner of the menu if it's engaged.
When I go to Picture Adjustments all I see is CinemaPro. Can you explain please? Thanks.
post #12382 of 19305 Old 02-10-2018, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javelin View Post
That modem could be the culprit, an upgrade there would be a good place to start!
Thanks for the response - I thought the modem as well but the speedtest I did is showing the modem hitting 43 mb per second download speed? Anything else I could do to improve it?

Cheers,
cwoguelph
post #12383 of 19305 Old 02-10-2018, 11:17 AM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by omston View Post
Probably because cable is about the worst signal you can get.
Source content is really key here.
Haven't you seen broadcasts with real old terrible content with side bars in 1080i?
Any network can wrap junk source material into a modern signal.
post #12384 of 19305 Old 02-10-2018, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Tv crashes when starting up battlefield 1

My tv crashes when i start up battlefield 1 from ps4pro, so from ps4 dashboard when i click on the tab for the game the tv crashes, goes to black screen with red pulsing led on tv. Have to press tv power button on remote several times to reboot tv. Only does it with that particular game, usually trying to start game the second time it starts up no problemo. Strange .
post #12385 of 19305 Old 02-10-2018, 11:38 AM

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwoguelph View Post
Thanks for the response - I thought the modem as well but the speedtest I did is showing the modem hitting 43 mb per second download speed? Anything else I could do to improve it?

Cheers,
cwoguelph
Try a network test from in Netflix.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
post #12386 of 19305 Old 02-10-2018, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Is it possible to ascribe a specific picture mode to a specific cable channel? I watch a lot of live cable news and have my custom picture mode set up for best quality for CNN And MSNBC. When I each HBO and other premium cable I use Cinema Home with a few tweaks. I would like to have the modes automatically switch to predetermined modes. Is this possible? Also, can I program the color buttons (red yellow blue green) to specific tasks such as picture modes or DVR function on cable box? Thanks.
post #12387 of 19305 Old 02-10-2018, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davird_Jr View Post
Gaslitnation, I do not use apps (please don't judge) but if you are talking about the curser buttons and select they work pretty well for the TV menus and the Dish Hopper receiver. It also has number keys that work. I mostly use it to turn on and off activities, but also use it to go to guide on Dish and change channels. Although I can also do that with my echo dot connected to Harmony. Overall I like the remote, but it does require patience at times to get set up properly and get everything working like you like. Hope that helps.
That did help. Thank you!

PS Why would I judge?
post #12388 of 19305 Old 02-10-2018, 01:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I think we should all boycott.

I think you're joking, but that would do the trick. If all of Comcast's customers cancelled their accounts at the same time, Comcast would have no choice but to upgrade their service, but quick. But that will never happen because it doesn't affect all of their customers equally, and for most of America, even the worst Comcast single is adequate for most customers needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolandM View Post
When I go to Picture Adjustments all I see is CinemaPro. Can you explain please? Thanks.
Directly under picture adjustments you will see the source. To the right of the source, directly across you will see the HDR flag. If you do not see this, you're set is not receiving an HDR signal. The "Cinema Pro" selection you are seeing will be on the next row down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by minsk99 View Post
Is it possible to ascribe a specific picture mode to a specific cable channel? I watch a lot of live cable news and have my custom picture mode set up for best quality for CNN And MSNBC. When I each HBO and other premium cable I use Cinema Home with a few tweaks. I would like to have the modes automatically switch to predetermined modes. Is this possible? Also, can I program the color buttons (red yellow blue green) to specific tasks such as picture modes or DVR function on cable box? Thanks.
Yes, but it won't be automatic. Is your cable coming in through the TV tuner, or is it coming through an HDMI input via a box? If the latter, which is most common, you will have to manually change the picture settings for each channel you've customized them for. There's very little automation -- Auto picture mode will switch to Cinema home when 24p is detected, and HDR content will switch into custom settings within a picture more, but otherwise, I'm not aware of any automatic picture settings unrelated to input source.

The color buttons don't appear to be programmable.
post #12389 of 19305 Old 02-10-2018, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyjoebob007 View Post
My tv crashes when i start up battlefield 1 from ps4pro, so from ps4 dashboard when i click on the tab for the game the tv crashes, goes to black screen with red pulsing led on tv. Have to press tv power button on remote several times to reboot tv. Only does it with that particular game, usually trying to start game the second time it starts up no problemo. Strange .
Hi there,

If you did the latest update it screws up switching over to HDR games with the PS4 Pro. If you turn off HDR in the PS4 Pro settings it should fix it temporarily. Sony knows of this issue and is working on a fix which will hopefully be in the next update.

Cheers!
cwoguelph
post #12390 of 19305 Old 02-10-2018, 03:30 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Any 4K Olympics broadcasts available on the apps on our 900E's?

I've got FiOS so no 4K for me over cable. Any of our built-in Android apps offer 4K?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
issues , motion , motionflow , problems , Sony , sound delay , x900e

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page