2017 Sony XBR 900E owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 415 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 40381Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #12421 of 19190 Old 02-11-2018, 05:40 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Sometimes these electronics just glitch out......If it continues Sony will come out for free to fix or replace it.
Yes, over in the Sony forum you'll find dozens of these issues. I fixed mine by replacing DHCP with a Static IP address. Take note of what app you're using when exiting the night before.

The TV doesn't really turn off. It goes to sleep mode much like a computer so it keeps the IP address. Meanwhile another device in your home may grab that available IP address from your router so when your TV wakes it cannot access the IP address that it has stored.

One other trouble shoot is to take a voltage meter to your outlet. Also, many with trouble have been using a surge strip.
Gaslitnation is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12422 of 19190 Old 02-11-2018, 05:42 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwoguelph View Post
Thanks for the response - I thought the modem as well but the speedtest I did is showing the modem hitting 43 mb per second download speed? Anything else I could do to improve it?

Cheers,
cwoguelph
Buy a 50' Enet cable and plug into router.
Gaslitnation is offline  
post #12423 of 19190 Old 02-11-2018, 06:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
joshua goard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 1,685
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1312 Post(s)
Liked: 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwoguelph View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua goard View Post
How are you conducting your speedtest? On a computer, cell phone? Is the device your running speedtest on a wired or wireless connection? Is the tv on a wired or wireless connection?

On a 2.4ghz signal, you almost always get about half of your max download speed over wifi. If your router is a dual band router, you'll want to connect via a 5ghz network to get max speeds.

So, if you are connecting the tv over wifi, and you don't have a dual band router, the issue is your wifi speeds probably aren't fast enough. You need at about 25mb per second to do 4k content and possibly more with HDR. So my guess would be it's time for a router upgrade. Also, if you have numerous devices logged into your router, cell phones, Xbox, etc. If multiple devices are using up bandwidth, you have to take that into account. 40gb per second isn't really the best speeds if you're going to be streaming 4k HDR content with multiple devices connected to the router.

Hope this helps.
Hi there,

Thank you for the reply - I checked playback settings and they weren't set up correctly for speed so adjusted.
Now can pull 4K signals no problem but not the HDR setting. I think it's time for a new cable modem box.

As for the router - just bought it and should be a good one - it got good reviews for streaming / useage.

Thanks again!
cwoguelph
Do you have your hdmi set to enhanced mode?

Sony 75xZ9D connected to Panasonic UB820 and Nakamichi Shockwafe 7.1 Pro Atmos
Sony 55x900e
Sony 55xA1E
Sony 75x940e (Returned :-( bad motion blur)
Sony 75x900e, Sony 75x940d, Sony 55x930d, 55x810c, Sony 55x850c (All retired)
joshua goard is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12424 of 19190 Old 02-11-2018, 06:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
joshua goard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 1,685
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1312 Post(s)
Liked: 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtpossum View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks_mandrill View Post
If I'm watch something in HDR yet it's only 1080,do I still want to turn on the HDMI signal enhancement? I believe it's for 4k signals only.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
I don't think there is any 1080 content in HDR but I could be wrong. You don't need to turn on enhanced mode for 4k HDR content unless your gaming. You can also watch 4k HDR blu-ray or streaming on any of the 4 HDMI ports as long as their not 60fps.
I don't think this is accurate. Pretty sure you need enhanced to watch 4k hdr blu rays.

Sony 75xZ9D connected to Panasonic UB820 and Nakamichi Shockwafe 7.1 Pro Atmos
Sony 55x900e
Sony 55xA1E
Sony 75x940e (Returned :-( bad motion blur)
Sony 75x900e, Sony 75x940d, Sony 55x930d, 55x810c, Sony 55x850c (All retired)
joshua goard is online now  
post #12425 of 19190 Old 02-11-2018, 07:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Doug Schiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,306
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtpossum View Post
I don't think there is any 1080 content in HDR but I could be wrong. You don't need to turn on enhanced mode for 4k HDR content unless your gaming. You can also watch 4k HDR blu-ray or streaming on any of the 4 HDMI ports as long as their not 60fps.
Oh there is, which is kind of a good thing.

I'm 99% sure that Cloverfield Paradox is not in 4k, but it does have HDR.

Netflix is confusing with their labels.

Cloverfield Paradox and Altered Carbon both only say HDR (I think) but Altered Carbon is definitely 4k HDR.
And some titles they specifically say Ultra 4k.
Doug Schiller is offline  
post #12426 of 19190 Old 02-11-2018, 07:49 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 24,563
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6676 Post(s)
Liked: 6671
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Dova View Post
I returned it and got one from the local Best Buy and that one has a near flawless panel. Now both my 900Es have come from BB and neither has any defects. I love ordering from Amazon and shopping online, but I wonder if the extra shipping is too much of a crapshoot when buying an item like this. I imagine that Best Buy and other large retailers are much more careful with their stock than the average parcel guy who delivers boxes all day. Just something to consider for anyone still in the market for any TV.
Best buy damages TV's too, you just have not experienced it yet......
Cleveland Plasma is offline  
post #12427 of 19190 Old 02-11-2018, 08:44 AM
Member
 
RolandM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 13
[quote=Billy Williams;55670274]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolandM View Post
The crown is not an HDR show try one of the marvel ones. They will even say HDR under the title.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
It worked; tried a Marvel Iron Fist and the HDR flag appeared in the Picture Adjustments header. Thanks so much for your helpful expertise.
RolandM is offline  
post #12428 of 19190 Old 02-11-2018, 08:51 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua goard View Post
I don't think this is accurate. Pretty sure you need enhanced to watch 4k hdr blu rays.
1080 content, such as videogames, can use HDR

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
sparks_mandrill is offline  
post #12429 of 19190 Old 02-11-2018, 09:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
joshua goard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 1,685
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1312 Post(s)
Liked: 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks_mandrill View Post
1080 content, such as videogames, can use HDR

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
I agree with this statement, I just don't think you are accurate in saying that you don't need to turn on enhanced HDMI for 4k HDR unless you are gaming. I believe 4k Blu Ray discs with HDR will also require enhanced mode to be turned on.

Sony 75xZ9D connected to Panasonic UB820 and Nakamichi Shockwafe 7.1 Pro Atmos
Sony 55x900e
Sony 55xA1E
Sony 75x940e (Returned :-( bad motion blur)
Sony 75x900e, Sony 75x940d, Sony 55x930d, 55x810c, Sony 55x850c (All retired)
joshua goard is online now  
post #12430 of 19190 Old 02-11-2018, 09:11 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua goard View Post
I agree with this statement, I just don't think you are accurate in saying that you don't need to turn on enhanced HDMI for 4k HDR unless you are gaming. I believe 4k Blu Ray discs with HDR will also require enhanced mode to be turned on.
Well, I'm running the original PS4 (not pro), which isnt 4k; the game itself says it utilizes HDR and the tv itself shoes HDR in the picture mode... Pretty sure considering the evidence that there's HDR.

Im ASKING you guys if I need to turn on enhanced mode, because I have no idea.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
sparks_mandrill is offline  
post #12431 of 19190 Old 02-11-2018, 09:29 AM
Advanced Member
 
Mac128's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 930
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua goard View Post
I don't think this is accurate. Pretty sure you need enhanced to watch 4k hdr blu rays.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Schiller View Post
Oh there is, which is kind of a good thing.

I'm 99% sure that Cloverfield Paradox is not in 4k, but it does have HDR.

Netflix is confusing with their labels.

Cloverfield Paradox and Altered Carbon both only say HDR (I think) but Altered Carbon is definitely 4k HDR.
And some titles they specifically say Ultra 4k.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks_mandrill View Post
Well, I'm running the original PS4 (not pro), which isnt 4k; the game itself says it utilizes HDR and the tv itself shoes HDR in the picture mode... Pretty sure considering the evidence that there's HDR.

Im ASKING you guys if I need to turn on enhanced mode, because I have no idea.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Turning on the enhanced HDMI settings is only needed for high bandwidth signals -- 4K 60p 4:2:2 (or better) HDR. 4K 24p 4:2:0 HDR works on all 4 ports.

As for Netflix, any of the Netflix content that supports HDR or DV at 4K will also support it at 1080p. iTunes movies are the same. However, the internal built-in Netflix app is 4K, so you will always get 4K HDR. Only if it's coming from an external box will you be able to set the box output at 1080p in order to get HDR. The enhanced setting is not required for HDR, at any supported resolution.

A 4K blu-ray can supply full uncompressed bandwidth, which requires the enhanced settings to view it -- however, the bluray player can be set to output a lower bandwidth signal, still with full HDR encoding, in order to be compatible with older 4K sets that don't support full bandwidth connections, yet still provide HDR. The key is making sure the bluray player is set to the correct output for the port.
400MHz MAN likes this.

Last edited by Mac128; 02-11-2018 at 09:36 AM.
Mac128 is offline  
post #12432 of 19190 Old 02-11-2018, 09:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ricoflashback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Aurora, Colorado
Posts: 3,345
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1796 Post(s)
Liked: 1272
So, in regards to the statement by Mac128 quote -

"Turning on the enhanced HDMI settings is only needed for high bandwidth signals -- 4K 60p 4:4:4 HDR."

AND...

"4K 24p 4:2:0 HDR works on all 4 ports."

If I read the article below correctly, 4K 60 fps 4:4:4 HDR requires HDMI 2.1, not the current HDMI 2.0.

And, all of the content we currently obtain, regardless of source, is 4K/HDR compatible with ALL Sony inputs?

4K 60 4:4:4 HDR - Article By David Meyer posted 06-22-2017 01:58

4K resolution.
60 frames per second.
4:4:4 chroma subsampling.

This trio has been used in combination for some time as a moniker to signify 18Gbps HDMI support. Simply stating ‘18G’ might have been simpler, but hey that’s another story…

The complication comes when HDR is added. From a menu where 4K is the main dish, and 60fps, 4:4:4 and HDR are the three side options, we can only choose two. The third comes at extra cost of which we can’t yet afford. That’ll come with HDMI 2.1.

Why is it so?

4K60 4:4:4 runs at 17.82Gbps, but only with the default 8-bit BT.709 color. That’s the same color gamut as 720p and 1080i/p. The whole point of HDR is to increase color volume, which it can’t do unless there’s first an increased color gamut. That means stepping up to BT.2020, which in turn means 10- or 12-bit deep color. The HDMI 2.0 spec also calls for a minimum 10-bit color with BT.2020.

Here's how it stands...

Main + 2 sides;
(Remember it has to be under 18Gbps…)

4K 60 4:4:4 (no HDR) = 17.82Gbps

4K 30 4:4:4 10b-HDR (no 60fps) = 11.14Gbps

4K 60 4:2:2 10b-HDR (no 4:4:4) = 17.82Gbps

Main + 3 sides;

4K 60 4:4:4 10b-HDR = 22.28Gbps

*** Italics & red highlight are mine -

"Bottom line – there currently is no 4K 60 4:4:4 HDR supported by HDMI 2.0. We need HDMI 2.1. The good news is that there’s not many applications that would require the combo of all three sides anyway. We're most commonly watching 24fps, 4:2:0 chroma, or both, in which case we're under the 18Gbps. Happy days. It’s just something to be aware of for now, whenever you see that moniker."

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, BenQ W1080ST, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)

Last edited by Ricoflashback; 02-11-2018 at 09:51 AM.
Ricoflashback is offline  
post #12433 of 19190 Old 02-11-2018, 09:53 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac128 View Post
Turning on the enhanced HDMI settings is only needed for high bandwidth signals -- 4K 60p 4:2:2 (or better) HDR. 4K 24p 4:2:0 HDR works on all 4 ports.

As for Netflix, any of the Netflix content that supports HDR or DV at 4K will also support it at 1080p. iTunes movies are the same. However, the internal built-in Netflix app is 4K, so you will always get 4K HDR. Only if it's coming from an external box will you be able to set the box output at 1080p in order to get HDR. The enhanced setting is not required for HDR, at any supported resolution.

A 4K blu-ray can supply full uncompressed bandwidth, which requires the enhanced settings to view it -- however, the bluray player can be set to output a lower bandwidth signal, still with full HDR encoding, in order to be compatible with older 4K sets that don't support full bandwidth connections, yet still provide HDR. The key is making sure the bluray player is set to the correct output for the port.
This is what I thought. Thanks dude.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
sparks_mandrill is offline  
post #12434 of 19190 Old 02-11-2018, 10:19 AM
Member
 
RolandM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipergts2207 View Post
I ordered the 55X900E model from Abt on Saturday and should have it by the end of the week or early next week. Pretty excited, as I'm also upgrading from a pretty old TV myself, a Sony KDL-37XBR6. Pretty impressed with the thing, as it's almost 9 years old and had been moved many times throughout my college years and it still works like new.
I also have the KDL-37XBR6 and like yours, it's going strong even after a cross-country move.
vipergts2207 likes this.
RolandM is offline  
post #12435 of 19190 Old 02-11-2018, 10:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
joshua goard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 1,685
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1312 Post(s)
Liked: 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post
So, in regards to the statement by Mac128 quote -

"Turning on the enhanced HDMI settings is only needed for high bandwidth signals -- 4K 60p 4:4:4 HDR."

AND...

"4K 24p 4:2:0 HDR works on all 4 ports."

If I read the article below correctly, 4K 60 fps 4:4:4 HDR requires HDMI 2.1, not the current HDMI 2.0.

And, all of the content we currently obtain, regardless of source, is 4K/HDR compatible with ALL Sony inputs?

4K 60 4:4:4 HDR - Article By David Meyer posted 06-22-2017 01:58

4K resolution.
60 frames per second.
4:4:4 chroma subsampling.

This trio has been used in combination for some time as a moniker to signify 18Gbps HDMI support. Simply stating ‘18G’ might have been simpler, but hey that’s another story…

The complication comes when HDR is added. From a menu where 4K is the main dish, and 60fps, 4:4:4 and HDR are the three side options, we can only choose two. The third comes at extra cost of which we can’t yet afford. That’ll come with HDMI 2.1.

Why is it so?

4K60 4:4:4 runs at 17.82Gbps, but only with the default 8-bit BT.709 color. That’s the same color gamut as 720p and 1080i/p. The whole point of HDR is to increase color volume, which it can’t do unless there’s first an increased color gamut. That means stepping up to BT.2020, which in turn means 10- or 12-bit deep color. The HDMI 2.0 spec also calls for a minimum 10-bit color with BT.2020.

Here's how it stands...

Main + 2 sides;
(Remember it has to be under 18Gbps…)

4K 60 4:4:4 (no HDR) = 17.82Gbps

4K 30 4:4:4 10b-HDR (no 60fps) = 11.14Gbps

4K 60 4:2:2 10b-HDR (no 4:4:4) = 17.82Gbps

Main + 3 sides;

4K 60 4:4:4 10b-HDR = 22.28Gbps

*** Italics & red highlight are mine -

"Bottom line – there currently is no 4K 60 4:4:4 HDR supported by HDMI 2.0. We need HDMI 2.1. The good news is that there’s not many applications that would require the combo of all three sides anyway. We're most commonly watching 24fps, 4:2:0 chroma, or both, in which case we're under the 18Gbps. Happy days. It’s just something to be aware of for now, whenever you see that moniker."
So i thought this was the case, and not totally disagreeing with the info as it looks like you've done your homework. But, when I tried plugging my Xbox One S into HDMI 1, I could get it to output 4k, but it would not recognize HDR. For movies or games. I do not know of any games the Xbox One S can run at 4k 60 fps.

Why would i run into an issue with my Xbox? I had to put in on HDMI 3 with Enhanced mode turned on for it to give me the green check mark for both 4k and HDR.

Sony 75xZ9D connected to Panasonic UB820 and Nakamichi Shockwafe 7.1 Pro Atmos
Sony 55x900e
Sony 55xA1E
Sony 75x940e (Returned :-( bad motion blur)
Sony 75x900e, Sony 75x940d, Sony 55x930d, 55x810c, Sony 55x850c (All retired)
joshua goard is online now  
post #12436 of 19190 Old 02-11-2018, 10:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
joshua goard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 1,685
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1312 Post(s)
Liked: 674
I have a USB related question. I have been using multi colored bias lighting for ages without issue. However, when I plugged the bias lighting I took off my old tv (Sony 940e which has the same power output rating for all USB ports as the 900e) I am met with a message that the USB port is trying to output too much power. Only some of the colors will work and others cause the power to drop out and come back on and go back out again. Has anyone else experienced this or is this a possible defect?

Sony 75xZ9D connected to Panasonic UB820 and Nakamichi Shockwafe 7.1 Pro Atmos
Sony 55x900e
Sony 55xA1E
Sony 75x940e (Returned :-( bad motion blur)
Sony 75x900e, Sony 75x940d, Sony 55x930d, 55x810c, Sony 55x850c (All retired)
joshua goard is online now  
post #12437 of 19190 Old 02-11-2018, 10:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ricoflashback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Aurora, Colorado
Posts: 3,345
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1796 Post(s)
Liked: 1272
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua goard View Post
So i thought this was the case, and not totally disagreeing with the info as it looks like you've done your homework. But, when I tried plugging my Xbox One S into HDMI 1, I could get it to output 4k, but it would not recognize HDR. For movies or games. I do not know of any games the Xbox One S can run at 4k 60 fps.

Why would i run into an issue with my Xbox? I had to put in on HDMI 3 with Enhanced mode turned on for it to give me the green check mark for both 4k and HDR.
Well, to answer your question, I don’t know. (No charge, by the way)

The newer Sony TV’s have all ports enhanced so users don’t have to go through this excercise. To me, if it has to be 4K and HDR, I’d go with Sony 900E ports 2 and 3.

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, BenQ W1080ST, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)
Ricoflashback is offline  
post #12438 of 19190 Old 02-11-2018, 10:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
joshua goard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 1,685
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1312 Post(s)
Liked: 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post
Well, to answer your question, I don’t know. (No charge, by the way)

The newer Sony TV’s have all ports enhanced so users don’t have to go through this excercise. To me, if it has to be 4K and HDR, I’d go with Sony 900E ports 2 and 3.
Right, and what advantage is there by leaving HDMI in standard versus enhanced mode?

Sony 75xZ9D connected to Panasonic UB820 and Nakamichi Shockwafe 7.1 Pro Atmos
Sony 55x900e
Sony 55xA1E
Sony 75x940e (Returned :-( bad motion blur)
Sony 75x900e, Sony 75x940d, Sony 55x930d, 55x810c, Sony 55x850c (All retired)
joshua goard is online now  
post #12439 of 19190 Old 02-11-2018, 11:43 AM
Senior Member
 
SRIBB43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 206
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Still don’t understand why this tv when HDR is set to auto the picture looks so dark. This is especially true then I’m watching DirecTv or Netflix. Colors look so much better with it set to off
SRIBB43 is offline  
post #12440 of 19190 Old 02-11-2018, 11:57 AM
Member
 
vtpossum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua goard View Post
Right, and what advantage is there by leaving HDMI in standard versus enhanced mode?
I have a samsung 4k bluray player and I have hooked it up to all 4 ports just for the heck of it and all 4 will show HDR in the picture settings. I also turned on enhanced on port 2 a well as the "wide color gamut" on the 4k player with no difference in the 4k movie(s) I tried but the enhanced mode did mess with the DVD's and regular Blu-rays color. I now have my 4k player in port 2 with enhanced off.

Sony 55X900E, Sony STR-DE635, Sony PS3, Samsung UBD-M7500
Samsung LN46D630
vtpossum is offline  
post #12441 of 19190 Old 02-11-2018, 12:22 PM
Advanced Member
 
Mac128's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 930
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post
So, in regards to the statement by Mac128 quote -

"Turning on the enhanced HDMI settings is only needed for high bandwidth signals -- 4K 60p 4:4:4 HDR."

AND...

"4K 24p 4:2:0 HDR works on all 4 ports."

If I read the article below correctly, 4K 60 fps 4:4:4 HDR requires HDMI 2.1, not the current HDMI 2.0.

And, all of the content we currently obtain, regardless of source, is 4K/HDR compatible with ALL Sony inputs?

4K 60 4:4:4 HDR - Article By David Meyer posted 06-22-2017 01:58

4K resolution.
60 frames per second.
4:4:4 chroma subsampling.

This trio has been used in combination for some time as a moniker to signify 18Gbps HDMI support. Simply stating ‘18G’ might have been simpler, but hey that’s another story…

The complication comes when HDR is added. From a menu where 4K is the main dish, and 60fps, 4:4:4 and HDR are the three side options, we can only choose two. The third comes at extra cost of which we can’t yet afford. That’ll come with HDMI 2.1.

Why is it so?

4K60 4:4:4 runs at 17.82Gbps, but only with the default 8-bit BT.709 color. That’s the same color gamut as 720p and 1080i/p. The whole point of HDR is to increase color volume, which it can’t do unless there’s first an increased color gamut. That means stepping up to BT.2020, which in turn means 10- or 12-bit deep color. The HDMI 2.0 spec also calls for a minimum 10-bit color with BT.2020.

Here's how it stands...

Main + 2 sides;
(Remember it has to be under 18Gbps…)

4K 60 4:4:4 (no HDR) = 17.82Gbps

4K 30 4:4:4 10b-HDR (no 60fps) = 11.14Gbps

4K 60 4:2:2 10b-HDR (no 4:4:4) = 17.82Gbps

Main + 3 sides;

4K 60 4:4:4 10b-HDR = 22.28Gbps

*** Italics & red highlight are mine -

"Bottom line – there currently is no 4K 60 4:4:4 HDR supported by HDMI 2.0. We need HDMI 2.1. The good news is that there’s not many applications that would require the combo of all three sides anyway. We're most commonly watching 24fps, 4:2:0 chroma, or both, in which case we're under the 18Gbps. Happy days. It’s just something to be aware of for now, whenever you see that moniker."
Well thanks for the explanation, however, while you were composing it, I edited my post to read 4:2:2 or better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua goard View Post
So i thought this was the case, and not totally disagreeing with the info as it looks like you've done your homework. But, when I tried plugging my Xbox One S into HDMI 1, I could get it to output 4k, but it would not recognize HDR. For movies or games. I do not know of any games the Xbox One S can run at 4k 60 fps.

Why would i run into an issue with my Xbox? I had to put in on HDMI 3 with Enhanced mode turned on for it to give me the green check mark for both 4k and HDR.
A Microsoft product eh? Who knows with them. However, check your video output settings. What is the signal you're outputting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post
Well, to answer your question, I don’t know. (No charge, by the way)

The newer Sony TV’s have all ports enhanced so users don’t have to go through this excercise. To me, if it has to be 4K and HDR, I’d go with Sony 900E ports 2 and 3.
Unless you actually need ports 2 & 3 for high band width devices, then ports 1 and 4 will handle standard 4K HDR material just fine, to say nothing of 1080p HDR, at least at standard 4:2:0 chroma. If you have a 4K blu-ray, I'd consider that high bandwidth, and I would put it on ports 2 or 3. I wouldn't put a streaming box on 2 or 3, unless you didn't have any other high bandwidth devices, then it doesn't matter.


Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua goard View Post
Right, and what advantage is there by leaving HDMI in standard versus enhanced mode?
You'll get greater detail and color gamut from a high bandwidth uncompressed signal. A 4K bluray player can provide that. A streaming box not so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRIBB43 View Post
Still don’t understand why this tv when HDR is set to auto the picture looks so dark. This is especially true then I’m watching DirecTv or Netflix. Colors look so much better with it set to off
Mine doesn't. Could it be you have auto 24p selected and it's kicking 24p programming into Cinema Home with darker settings? Unless it's an HDR program, auto HDR will have no effect.

Last edited by Mac128; 02-11-2018 at 12:36 PM.
Mac128 is offline  
post #12442 of 19190 Old 02-11-2018, 12:38 PM
Member
 
RolandM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Ethernet vs WiFi with Netflix

I had my 900E connected to my router via an Ethernet cable and despite getting great Netflix streaming, the Netflix Connection Speed test always reported 0 Mbps; tried rebooting, reconnecting, reloading--still 0 Mbps. When I switched from Ethernet to WiFi and ran the same Netflix Connection Speed test, I get 66.5 Mbps. Caould anyone possibly have an explanation? Thanks.
RolandM is offline  
post #12443 of 19190 Old 02-11-2018, 12:50 PM
Newbie
 
Celticpacman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua goard View Post
So i thought this was the case, and not totally disagreeing with the info as it looks like you've done your homework. But, when I tried plugging my Xbox One S into HDMI 1, I could get it to output 4k, but it would not recognize HDR. For movies or games. I do not know of any games the Xbox One S can run at 4k 60 fps.



Why would i run into an issue with my Xbox? I had to put in on HDMI 3 with Enhanced mode turned on for it to give me the green check mark for both 4k and HDR.


The regular PS4 will do 1080p HDR on any HDMI port
I have mine connected to HDMI port 4
It’s 4k HDR on PS4 Pro needs the enhanced port


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Celticpacman is offline  
post #12444 of 19190 Old 02-11-2018, 12:53 PM
Member
 
J_Dova's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Providence, RI
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRIBB43 View Post
Still don’t understand why this tv when HDR is set to auto the picture looks so dark. This is especially true then I’m watching DirecTv or Netflix. Colors look so much better with it set to off
You need the brightness set high when displaying HDR content. I just setup two TVs in 2 days (had to return one) and I noticed that brightness seems to auto default to max when an HDR blu ray is played, regardless of what you set your picture settings to for that source. I thought it was a mistake at first, but HDR requires a lot of brightness to work properly from what I gather. I also set local dimming to low for HDR content to avoid clouding when the brightness is that high.

Quote:
The greatest teacher, failure is.... -Yoda TLJ
J_Dova is offline  
post #12445 of 19190 Old 02-11-2018, 02:03 PM
Advanced Member
 
bradman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 736
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua goard View Post
Right, and what advantage is there by leaving HDMI in standard versus enhanced mode?
None.
bradman is offline  
post #12446 of 19190 Old 02-11-2018, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member
 
bradman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 736
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjames View Post
Any 4K Olympics broadcasts available on the apps on our 900E's?

I've got FiOS so no 4K for me over cable. Any of our built-in Android apps offer 4K?
No.
bradman is offline  
post #12447 of 19190 Old 02-11-2018, 02:08 PM
Advanced Member
 
bradman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 736
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRIBB43 View Post
Still don’t understand why this tv when HDR is set to auto the picture looks so dark. This is especially true then I’m watching DirecTv or Netflix. Colors look so much better with it set to off
Questions like these need very specific information related to input, settings and cabling. There is a lot of information in this thread to set yourself up for proper HDR playback.
bradman is offline  
post #12448 of 19190 Old 02-11-2018, 02:08 PM
Senior Member
 
SRIBB43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 206
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac128 View Post
Well thanks for the explanation, however, while you were composing it, I edited my post to read 4:2:2 or better.



A Microsoft product eh? Who knows with them. However, check your video output settings. What is the signal you're outputting?



Unless you actually need ports 2 & 3 for high band width devices, then ports 1 and 4 will handle standard 4K HDR material just fine, to say nothing of 1080p HDR, at least at standard 4:2:0 chroma. If you have a 4K blu-ray, I'd consider that high bandwidth, and I would put it on ports 2 or 3. I wouldn't put a streaming box on 2 or 3, unless you didn't have any other high bandwidth devices, then it doesn't matter.




You'll get greater detail and color gamut from a high bandwidth uncompressed signal. A 4K bluray player can provide that. A streaming box not so much.



Mine doesn't. Could it be you have auto 24p selected and it's kicking 24p programming into Cinema Home with darker settings? Unless it's an HDR program, auto HDR will have no effect.
I have auto picture set to off. I watch all my programming on vivid because I like this setting compared to others and yes I know no one watches on this setting. When in HDR set to auto, vivid remains the setting, Pic just gets drastically darker. It’s like night and day with hdr on and off
SRIBB43 is offline  
post #12449 of 19190 Old 02-11-2018, 02:12 PM
Advanced Member
 
bradman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 736
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Dova View Post
You need the brightness set high when displaying HDR content. I just setup two TVs in 2 days (had to return one) and I noticed that brightness seems to auto default to max when an HDR blu ray is played, regardless of what you set your picture settings to for that source. I thought it was a mistake at first, but HDR requires a lot of brightness to work properly from what I gather. I also set local dimming to low for HDR content to avoid clouding when the brightness is that high.
With the correct metadata being sent, the 900e will automatically max brightness and XDR. Some games require the user to adjust brightness and whiteness, they send a different signal to the set.
Ghost Recon sends it correctly, CoD WW2 and GT Sport do not, but these let you adjust manually within the game. Destiny2 does not, and no adjustments are available, it is the worst game in HDR.
bradman is offline  
post #12450 of 19190 Old 02-11-2018, 03:03 PM
Member
 
J_Dova's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Providence, RI
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradman View Post
With the correct metadata being sent, the 900e will automatically max brightness and XDR. Some games require the user to adjust brightness and whiteness, they send a different signal to the set.
Ghost Recon sends it correctly, CoD WW2 and GT Sport do not, but these let you adjust manually within the game. Destiny2 does not, and no adjustments are available, it is the worst game in HDR.
I noticed that most of my UHD Blu Rays and Altered Carbon on Netflix seem to automatically adjust those settings.

I strictly game on PC so I haven't tried any games on the 900E yet (I still just have a PS3). I have an Acer XB270HU monitor which is 1440p and Gsync and I prefer the framerates and smoothness I get with that. Although admittedly since I have 2 small children and own my own business I have almost no time to game. Kinda funny/ironic once you hit the point of your career that you can afford all of this stuff you don't have the time to rightfully enjoy it all
Ajb485 likes this.

Quote:
The greatest teacher, failure is.... -Yoda TLJ
J_Dova is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
issues , motion , motionflow , problems , Sony , sound delay , x900e

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off