2017 Sony XBR 900E owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 416 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 40400Likes

post #12451 of 19304 Old 02-11-2018, 04:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac128 View Post
Turning on the enhanced HDMI settings is only needed for high bandwidth signals -- 4K 60p 4:2:2 (or better) HDR. 4K 24p 4:2:0 HDR works on all 4 ports.

As for Netflix, any of the Netflix content that supports HDR or DV at 4K will also support it at 1080p. iTunes movies are the same. However, the internal built-in Netflix app is 4K, so you will always get 4K HDR. Only if it's coming from an external box will you be able to set the box output at 1080p in order to get HDR. The enhanced setting is not required for HDR, at any supported resolution.

A 4K blu-ray can supply full uncompressed bandwidth, which requires the enhanced settings to view it -- however, the bluray player can be set to output a lower bandwidth signal, still with full HDR encoding, in order to be compatible with older 4K sets that don't support full bandwidth connections, yet still provide HDR. The key is making sure the bluray player is set to the correct output for the port.
My PS4 (non pro) wouldn't pass thru HDR on ports 1 & 4. I put it on 3 and it instantly detected HDR?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12452 of 19304 Old 02-11-2018, 05:41 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua goard View Post
I have a USB related question. I have been using multi colored bias lighting for ages without issue. However, when I plugged the bias lighting I took off my old tv (Sony 940e which has the same power output rating for all USB ports as the 900e) I am met with a message that the USB port is trying to output too much power. Only some of the colors will work and others cause the power to drop out and come back on and go back out again. Has anyone else experienced this or is this a possible defect?
I had the same exact problem with USB bias lighting. I even plugged it into USB3 port (which allows higher power output) but the same message appeared.

However, when I plugged the bias lighting to the USB of my pioneer Audio Receiver, it worked fine ! Someday, I'll measure the current draw of bias lighting and if it's within USB specs, I'll report it to Sony as a defect.
post #12453 of 19304 Old 02-11-2018, 06:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javelin View Post
My PS4 (non pro) wouldn't pass thru HDR on ports 1 & 4. I put it on 3 and it instantly detected HDR?

My PS4 (non pro) displaying Gran Turismo Sport in HDR @ 1080p on HDMI port 4 Perfectly

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
bradman, Mac128, Rankgt18 and 1 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12454 of 19304 Old 02-11-2018, 09:52 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
TV saying no signal from HDMI

I have a 900e less than a month old. I've been having issues with a PC/standard PS4 connected to it for about a week now where it will randomly flicker saying no signal. I've tried removing and putting it back in but it takes a moment then it will like do it again over and over. Its very frustrating playing a game just for it to flicker. Could it be the update? or am I missing something?
post #12455 of 19304 Old 02-12-2018, 04:07 AM

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by jba252 View Post
I have a 900e less than a month old. I've been having issues with a PC/standard PS4 connected to it for about a week now where it will randomly flicker saying no signal. I've tried removing and putting it back in but it takes a moment then it will like do it again over and over. Its very frustrating playing a game just for it to flicker. Could it be the update? or am I missing something?
Could be a cable. I had to go through a few before getting decent ones.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
green666 likes this.
post #12456 of 19304 Old 02-12-2018, 05:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Really annoying that when connecting a Roku Premiere + to my 900e directly and sending audio to my receiver through optical out Netflix only plays in stereo and not 5.1. Anyone else notice this?

Matt
post #12457 of 19304 Old 02-12-2018, 06:02 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Williams View Post
Could be a cable. I had to go through a few before getting decent ones.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I'm using amazon high speed cables and it was fine till about a week ago. I switched to older ones that I had for my old vizio and its also having the issue
post #12458 of 19304 Old 02-12-2018, 08:16 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg3 View Post
Really annoying that when connecting a Roku Premiere + to my 900e directly and sending audio to my receiver through optical out Netflix only plays in stereo and not 5.1. Anyone else notice this?
I have the same issue with different devices and built in apps. However the native app for Netflix is one of the few that gives me 5.1. Have you tried that?
mattg3 likes this.
post #12459 of 19304 Old 02-12-2018, 08:17 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I have a problem with the screen.
A few days ago, on bottom of the tv screen a strange dark spot has appeared (like on the attached picture). At first I tought it was a pressure mark, or some sort of damage, but then it suddenly moved more to the right. So it seems that the screen is not damaged, and perhaps there is a solution for this.
Has someone else had this problem and knows how to fix it?

Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tv.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	2359950  
post #12460 of 19304 Old 02-12-2018, 08:39 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleksa View Post
I have a problem with the screen.
A few days ago, on bottom of the tv screen a strange dark spot has appeared (like on the attached picture). At first I tought it was a pressure mark, or some sort of damage, but then it suddenly moved more to the right. So it seems that the screen is not damaged, and perhaps there is a solution for this.
Has someone else had this problem and knows how to fix it?

Thanks in advance!
WTH that's not even a real screen image. If you don't see it on normal content just forget about it.
post #12461 of 19304 Old 02-12-2018, 09:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilipad View Post
I have the same issue with different devices and built in apps. However the native app for Netflix is one of the few that gives me 5.1. Have you tried that?
Yes I have and it works.I feel there is better picture quality from my Roku but It could be my imagination!

Matt
post #12462 of 19304 Old 02-12-2018, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omston View Post
WTH that's not even a real screen image. If you don't see it on normal content just forget about it.
Yes it is less visible on normal content, but when there is single color it really sticks out, and it is much more visible from distance and angles. The problem is that it is really distracting, and it shouldn't be there because the tv is barely one month old. It is not something that you expect from a new tv.
I can live with it, but why have it if it is not supposed to?
And I am curios what it is, and wan't to remove it if possible.
javan robinson likes this.
post #12463 of 19304 Old 02-12-2018, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Yes it is less visible on normal content, but when there is single color it really sticks out, and it is much more visible from distance and angles. The problem is that it is really distracting, and it shouldn't be there because the tv is barely one month old. It is not something that you expect from a new tv.
I'm not an expert but if you can see that dark spot on all input devices and normal content in my opinion i'd be calling someone to check it out.
post #12464 of 19304 Old 02-12-2018, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omston View Post
I'm not an expert but if you can see that dark spot on all input devices and normal content in my opinion i'd be calling someone to check it out.
It is visible on all input devices. At first i thought that it is a hardware problem, and was about to call someone, but then it moved to the right side, where it is now, and the place where it was previously is now normal. That is the strange thing, and because of that i am looking for help here, maybe someone had a similar problem, the chances are too small that i am the only one.
Anyway, thanks for the reply.
post #12465 of 19304 Old 02-12-2018, 09:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRIBB43 View Post
I have auto picture set to off. I watch all my programming on vivid because I like this setting compared to others and yes I know no one watches on this setting. When in HDR set to auto, vivid remains the setting, Pic just gets drastically darker. It’s like night and day with hdr on and off
That doesn't happen on mine. You might have a defective TV.
post #12466 of 19304 Old 02-12-2018, 09:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
It is visible on all input devices. At first i thought that it is a hardware problem, and was about to call someone, but then it moved to the right side, where it is now, and the place where it was previously is now normal. That is the strange thing, and because of that i am looking for help here, maybe someone had a similar problem, the chances are too small that i am the only one.
I've read all 12k+ posts in this thread. You are the only person reporting this problem. I'd call Sony.
post #12467 of 19304 Old 02-12-2018, 10:11 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Hello all, i just made the jump to 4k this saturday and i have this tv now. I searched but couldn't find a thread for some good calibration settings. i currently have the Xbox one X and comcast cable box (1080p. ) i have the xbox plugged into HDM 3 and the cable box in hdmi 2. The upscaling is HORRIBLE for the 1080p cable box. So i'm sure i have some settings set wrong since all i've read for the reviews is how good it upscales. any help would be greatly appreciated. I told my girl that the picture would be sooooo much better and now i'm looking like a fool because she said the picture doesnt' look good. i purchased a few 4k movies that look good (deadpool, kingsman and dark knight trilogy) and the games look good. but when i go to netflix i feel like i have the color too high and if the program isn't 4k ultra it just doesn't look pretty. Hulu and Amazon prime movies look even worse. Please help! i'm not a total teckie but i also know more than the best buy associate that sold me the tv. so i do know to go to settings and set the hdmi to enhanced and i even had to tell them full HDR was only on hdmi 2 and 3. I'm just not as savy as some of you guys are. Thanks for any help.
PS i plan on calling comcast to order a 4k cable box because as of right now it's only 1080p

Xbox gamertag: guy walks n bar
PSN ID: Marcellusk
post #12468 of 19304 Old 02-12-2018, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I got my 55X900E a week ago and am very happy with the PQ. But, I am not happy with one issue I found:
When I use the built-in Video app to play movie rips from USB, I am unable to eliminate judder. I have tried different motion settings and was able to reduce judder a little but not eliminate it.
When I play the same movies from a WDTV box through HDMI input, I am able to eliminate judder completely to the point of having the soap-opera effect.
I am wondering if this is due to the processor having to handle decoding, upscaling as well as motion processing all at the same time? Or, could it be that the Android app is the issue?
Anyone here seen this and know of a fix?

Last edited by macara; 02-12-2018 at 11:45 AM.
post #12469 of 19304 Old 02-12-2018, 10:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Crazy thought here... spider or some other bug behind the panel? You say it started on the left and then moved to the right side... maybe it died on the right?!?
Davird_Jr and Furyus like this.
post #12470 of 19304 Old 02-12-2018, 10:52 AM

Quote:
I've read all 12k+ posts in this thread. You are the only person reporting this problem. I'd call Sony.
Ok, thanks for the reply.
post #12471 of 19304 Old 02-12-2018, 11:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcellusk View Post
Hello all, i just made the jump to 4k this saturday and i have this tv now. I searched but couldn't find a thread for some good calibration settings. i currently have the Xbox one X and comcast cable box (1080p. ) i have the xbox plugged into HDM 3 and the cable box in hdmi 2. The upscaling is HORRIBLE for the 1080p cable box. So i'm sure i have some settings set wrong since all i've read for the reviews is how good it upscales. any help would be greatly appreciated. I told my girl that the picture would be sooooo much better and now i'm looking like a fool because she said the picture doesnt' look good. i purchased a few 4k movies that look good (deadpool, kingsman and dark knight trilogy) and the games look good. but when i go to netflix i feel like i have the color too high and if the program isn't 4k ultra it just doesn't look pretty. Hulu and Amazon prime movies look even worse. Please help! i'm not a total teckie but i also know more than the best buy associate that sold me the tv. so i do know to go to settings and set the hdmi to enhanced and i even had to tell them full HDR was only on hdmi 2 and 3. I'm just not as savy as some of you guys are. Thanks for any help.
PS i plan on calling comcast to order a 4k cable box because as of right now it's only 1080p
What size 900E did you upgrade to? What size and model was your old TV you're coming from?

If you've been reading the forum you'd see this is a common complaint, especially with respect to Comcast cable. The issue is almost 100% with the horrible signal Comcast is making you pay through the nose for, as the upscaling for OTA antenna broadcasts is excellent. So there's not a whole lot you're going to be able to do about it. How old is your cable box? You might call Comcast and make them upgrade you to the latest box.

After that you'll need to adjust setting on cable port, and likely set up individual picture settings for different channels which may suffer more or less compression artifacts, and degraded signal. I don't have the link handy as it's been posted numerous times. Try searching for "spreadsheet" but it that still doesn't turn up the link, then I'm sure someone will post it eventually.

I don't understand at all why Hulu or Amazon Prime movies look worse on your set. Those are some of the top selling points of the TV. Are you using the built-in apps or the ones on your Xbox? I have seen both Hulu and Amazon on the built-in apps, and on my Apple TV 4K, and they are pristine signals that look stunning on this set using just the rtings settings.

HDR is available on all 4 ports. You'll only need enhanced settings of ports 2 & 3 if you want to access high bandwidth programs, which is almost certainly not the case with the Comcast box. Not sure about the Xbox (does it even offer 4:2:2 chroma?). If you look slightly up in the thread, you'll see someone posted a picture of their Xbox working perfectly on Port one with 1080p HDR.
post #12472 of 19304 Old 02-12-2018, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Settings question

As a new owner of a 75X900E, I have some questions.
1) When watching 4K content, and pressing Display on Sony remote, if it is HDR content, will the Display info on screen indicate that?
2) Should the HDR settings on the TV, under Video I believe, be set to Auto?
3) Just hooked up a new Roku Ultra 4K to HDMI 2 on the TV, due to non-4K AV PrePro. Should that Input be set to Enhanced on the TV?
4) Hooked up an Optical cable to send the audio signal back to the PrePro (see #4 above), what should the setting be in Audio on the TV? Auto 1, Auto 2, or PCM? So far, everything I am playing on the Roku in 4K plays back in Stereo 2.0 on all YouTube channels, shouldn't some of them output DD 5.1?

Thanks in advance to all of you for the forthcoming answers!

Sony XBR-75X900E / Marantz AV8801 / Emotiva XPA-5 / Oppo BDP-103 / Paradigm Studio 40v2 / Paradigm Studio CC490 / Paradigm ADP190 / SVS PC12-NSD x2 -- "Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end; then stop." --Lewis Carroll
post #12473 of 19304 Old 02-12-2018, 12:10 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Sony X900E problems need help

I have returned this TV 8 times because of a screen issue. It seems as though it is water stained or something. It is not on the outside and can not be cleaned. I've sent pictures to Sony support and response was to take a picture with screen on and was told that they see no problems with color so they cant do anything about it. I had an in store tech come and see the TV and he was baffled but labeled it defective for replacement. I have purchased this set from 2 different retailers and even had a replacement direct from Sony with the same issue. The staining is seen when light hits the screen from the sides, does anyone have an idea as to what this is? I have checked other LED TV and do not see this. I am hesitant to even buy a different model the X930E in fear that this is a Sony display problem across all models. IF anyone has any idea what this is I would greatly appreciate it as I can't seem to get answers from anyone including Sony. I surely can't be the only person with this issue, like I stated I've tried 8 TVs. Thanks in advance.

PS Its the staining on the screen itself not the yellow line across the screen, that's from taking the picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0016.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	722.8 KB
ID:	2360000  
post #12474 of 19304 Old 02-12-2018, 12:15 PM

Quote:
The fact that its moving around would seem like a backlighting problem to me but that's just a guess. Or maybe you picked up a virus off of the net.

Last edited by omston; 02-12-2018 at 12:40 PM.
post #12475 of 19304 Old 02-12-2018, 01:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpottr View Post
I have returned this TV 8 times because of a screen issue. It seems as though it is water stained or something. It is not on the outside and can not be cleaned. I've sent pictures to Sony support and response was to take a picture with screen on and was told that they see no problems with color so they cant do anything about it. I had an in store tech come and see the TV and he was baffled but labeled it defective for replacement. I have purchased this set from 2 different retailers and even had a replacement direct from Sony with the same issue. The staining is seen when light hits the screen from the sides, does anyone have an idea as to what this is? I have checked other LED TV and do not see this. I am hesitant to even buy a different model the X930E in fear that this is a Sony display problem across all models. IF anyone has any idea what this is I would greatly appreciate it as I can't seem to get answers from anyone including Sony. I surely can't be the only person with this issue, like I stated I've tried 8 TVs. Thanks in advance.

PS Its the staining on the screen itself not the yellow line across the screen, that's from taking the picture.
Holy crap! 8 times, I got sick of Vizio after 2 swaps and went to X900E and love it. I had a 55X900E in the sitting room and just swapped the exercise TV Vizio to the 65X900E.

Sony 77A9G (Also XBR65X900E and XBR55X900E)
Denon x7200WA
Oppo BD-203
Klipsch RP-280F / RC-62ii / RP-140SA / RS-35 / RS-25
Dual PSA V1800s
post #12476 of 19304 Old 02-12-2018, 01:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by awardb View Post
As a new owner of a 75X900E, I have some questions.
1) When watching 4K content, and pressing Display on Sony remote, if it is HDR content, will the Display info on screen indicate that?
2) Should the HDR settings on the TV, under Video I believe, be set to Auto?
3) Just hooked up a new Roku Ultra 4K to HDMI 2 on the TV, due to non-4K AV PrePro. Should that Input be set to Enhanced on the TV?
4) Hooked up an Optical cable to send the audio signal back to the PrePro (see #4 above), what should the setting be in Audio on the TV? Auto 1, Auto 2, or PCM? So far, everything I am playing on the Roku in 4K plays back in Stereo 2.0 on all YouTube channels, shouldn't some of them output DD 5.1?

Thanks in advance to all of you for the forthcoming answers!
1) No, Action Menu>Picture Adjustments
2) Yes
3) Yes
4) Auto 1
post #12477 of 19304 Old 02-12-2018, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpottr View Post

What kind of light are you using to see it i tried my flashlight and it wouldn't penetrate the blackness.
post #12478 of 19304 Old 02-12-2018, 02:10 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
What size 900E did you upgrade to? What size and model was your old TV you're coming from?

If you've been reading the forum you'd see this is a common complaint, especially with respect to Comcast cable. The issue is almost 100% with the horrible signal Comcast is making you pay through the nose for, as the upscaling for OTA antenna broadcasts is excellent. So there's not a whole lot you're going to be able to do about it. How old is your cable box? You might call Comcast and make them upgrade you to the latest box.

After that you'll need to adjust setting on cable port, and likely set up individual picture settings for different channels which may suffer more or less compression artifacts, and degraded signal. I don't have the link handy as it's been posted numerous times. Try searching for "spreadsheet" but it that still doesn't turn up the link, then I'm sure someone will post it eventually.

I don't understand at all why Hulu or Amazon Prime movies look worse on your set. Those are some of the top selling points of the TV. Are you using the built-in apps or the ones on your Xbox? I have seen both Hulu and Amazon on the built-in apps, and on my Apple TV 4K, and they are pristine signals that look stunning on this set using just the rtings settings.

HDR is available on all 4 ports. You'll only need enhanced settings of ports 2 & 3 if you want to access high bandwidth programs, which is almost certainly not the case with the Comcast box. Not sure about the Xbox (does it even offer 4:2:2 chroma?). If you look slightly up in the thread, you'll see someone posted a picture of their Xbox working perfectly on Port one with 1080p HDR.
yes the comcast box is a couple years old, i plan on calling them afterwork today to get the 4k box. I have the 65 inch model. my older model was the sony XBR 46 inch 1080P tv. and as far as Netflix, Hulu and Amazon i've been using the one on the xbox, not on the tv. (i figured since the xbox outputs HDR it would look better on that, since the HDMI port for the cable box isn't set for HDR)

Xbox gamertag: guy walks n bar
PSN ID: Marcellusk
post #12479 of 19304 Old 02-12-2018, 02:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Afternoon everyone. Just curious if anyone is watching the olympics via Comcast 4K on their 900e?? I'm not blown away by it, but it is nice. However, what is super annoying, is you can see different patches of ice changing colors (pink, almost an opalescence, or pearl). Anyone else experiencing this?
post #12480 of 19304 Old 02-12-2018, 02:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by topside3 View Post
Afternoon everyone. Just curious if anyone is watching the olympics via Comcast 4K on their 900e?? I'm not blown away by it, but it is nice. However, what is super annoying, is you can see different patches of ice changing colors (pink, almost an opalescence, or pearl). Anyone else experiencing this?
I am not watching it in 4k, but when I was watching it through the NBC sports app, I noticed digital artifact halo around the figure skaters as they moved across the ice. Any idea what could be causing this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
issues , motion , motionflow , problems , Sony , sound delay , x900e

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page