2017 Sony XBR 900E owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 436 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 40381Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #13051 of 19188 Old 02-25-2018, 02:30 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksnow66 View Post
Black uniformity - hi I just got a 900e 75 inch and am experiencing some blooming and uniformity issues. When I take picture of tv with local dimming turned off it looks like the below image. Can someone else try this test in a dark room local dimming off with a black screen and see if it is as bad as mine below ? I think this is what?s causing my issues.
Turn local dimming "ON." Also see referenced spreadsheet a couple posts ago on recommended settings. I'm not sure why anyone would have the dimming feature "OFF."

Out of the 18 settings on the spreadsheet, only two people have local dimming "OFF" with the other 16 having local dimming "ON."
Just to note I watch the tv with local dimming on medium but am getting blooming and not the greatest black uniformity. I have to assume that even with local dimming when their is a dark scene with little light everywhere all the zones are on. So to test for uniformity I turn off local dimming and the below image is what I got. Can anyone with the same tv replicate the test - local dimming off on a black test screen and see how it looks ?
Ksnow66 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #13052 of 19188 Old 02-25-2018, 02:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ricoflashback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Aurora, Colorado
Posts: 3,345
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1796 Post(s)
Liked: 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksnow66 View Post
Just to note I watch the tv with local dimming on medium but am getting blooming and not the greatest black uniformity. I have to assume that even with local dimming when their is a dark scene with little light everywhere all the zones are on. So to test for uniformity I turn off local dimming and the below image is what I got. Can anyone with the same tv replicate the test - local dimming off on a black test screen and see how it looks ?
Thanks. Got it. I’d suggest, as I do with all reported issues on this thread, to provide as much information as you can on your source content and current settings.

Example: Diirectv, native resolution and your Sony 900E settings. That way, users on this forum will be in a better position to possibly help. Especially those with the same provider (cable or satellite).

Hope this helps.

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, BenQ W1080ST, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)
Ricoflashback is offline  
post #13053 of 19188 Old 02-25-2018, 03:17 PM
Member
 
sixtytooneratio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 186
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post
Great question. It would be nice if Comcast had a “native” resolution but they don’t. That would have taken care of any resolution choices, providing the best picture quality from all sources.

Personally, I think 720p would provide the best picture based on 99% of Comcast compressed content. But for the rare 4K content that is available - you’d have to change the output to 4K. I do not see any great benefit in using Comcast for Netflix streaming. The native apps or a separate media player can do that just fine.

So, to answer your question, I’d try it both ways and see if you can tell the difference. I think Sony upscaling to 4K would do a better job than the new Comcast STB, but since I do not have this box, I don’t know. I can say that the non 4K Xfinity STB that I have looks better with 720p. Please let us know what you decided on.
I am leaving the XG1v4 xfinity box at 720,in my eye the Sony seems to do a little bit better job of upscaling.That being said,the box is not too far behind as far as picture quality goes.
sixtytooneratio is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #13054 of 19188 Old 02-25-2018, 05:00 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Black bar light bleed - does everyone get light bleed on the black bars when in a dark room ? Specifically when their are bright images near the bars ?
Ksnow66 is offline  
post #13055 of 19188 Old 02-25-2018, 05:05 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 223
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksnow66 View Post
Black bar light bleed - does everyone get light bleed on the black bars when in a dark room ? Specifically when their are bright images near the bars ?
Dude don't freak calm down mine wasn't perfect at first either after a month of hours its almost perfect now. If you have a 30 day return window give it some time and when you learn the adjustments you can darken it up. Backlighting makes it pop too.

Last edited by omston; 02-25-2018 at 06:07 PM.
omston is offline  
post #13056 of 19188 Old 02-25-2018, 05:27 PM
Member
 
KingLion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey All,

I just purchased the Nvidia Shield TV (locally) to test out some of my files. It's playing my 4K HDR files, mkv, mts, mov, everything I'm throwing at it after installing VLC to read the files. I have a 2 TB USB Drive connected directly to it and it's plugged into Input (HDMI) 2.

This thing was $194 after taxes!!

Is this something the 900e should be able to do should be able to do without me getting this $200 device? I have tried to plug in the same 2 TB HD directly to the TV, it knows a drive has a plugged in but can never see any of the HD's data. The drive is formatted as OS X Extended also, I heard NTFS would work but not sure. Wanted to check with you guys 1st.

Thanks

Last edited by KingLion; 02-25-2018 at 06:08 PM.
KingLion is offline  
post #13057 of 19188 Old 02-25-2018, 05:40 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 14
To the people struggling with blooming and vertical banding, these factors generally show up in greyish scenes. Then X-tended Dynamic Range feature causes gamma to be raised to unpredictable levels during some scenes. Very dark greys that are unassuming all of a sudden get blown up into a glowing grey. The glowing greys in turn pronounces blooming and vertical banding.

While the X-tended Dynamic Range can provide pleasing pop in many scenes, it can totally ruin others. Try turning it off. Do keep Auto Dimming On, as without the contrast on the panel is very poor.
kluken likes this.
MuzzakusReturns is offline  
post #13058 of 19188 Old 02-25-2018, 06:11 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 223
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuzzakusReturns View Post
To the people struggling with blooming and vertical banding, these factors generally show up in greyish scenes. Then X-tended Dynamic Range feature causes gamma to be raised to unpredictable levels during some scenes. Very dark greys that are unassuming all of a sudden get blown up into a glowing grey. The glowing greys in turn pronounces blooming and vertical banding.

While the X-tended Dynamic Range can provide pleasing pop in many scenes, it can totally ruin others. Try turning it off. Do keep Auto Dimming On, as without the contrast on the panel is very poor.
Mine doesn't exhibit that behavior.
omston is offline  
post #13059 of 19188 Old 02-25-2018, 06:33 PM
Member
 
stonewahl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Watching The Walking Dead right now and it’s the 1st time I’m having 2nd thoughts on this TV. I came from a 58” Sammy plasma and had no real issue with dark scenes. This tv is a mottled pixelated mess in almost every night scene.

I am on Spectrum cable with an Arris 3600-m box set to 720p. Is this just a crappy source or does the 900e just have issues with dark scenes? I am using several different settings from the spreadsheet and am severely disappointed. Any suggestions?
stonewahl is offline  
post #13060 of 19188 Old 02-25-2018, 06:40 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 241
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonewahl View Post
Watching The Walking Dead right now and it’s the 1st time I’m having 2nd thoughts on this TV. I came from a 58” Sammy plasma and had no real issue with dark scenes. This tv is a mottled pixelated mess in almost every night scene.

I am on Spectrum cable with an Arris 3600-m box set to 720p. Is this just a crappy source or does the 900e just have issues with dark scenes? I am using several different settings from the spreadsheet and am severely disappointed. Any suggestions?
My guess is the source and for me walking dead had a lot of grainy film look going on. So that's amplified when you have a compressed low resolution blown to 4k

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Billy Williams is offline  
post #13061 of 19188 Old 02-25-2018, 07:02 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by omston View Post
Mine doesn't exhibit that behavior.
That would indicate a non working processor if it’s not doing it’s thing. But most likely it’s down to a personal thing of you not noticing it or not coming across the right kind of dark scenes.
MuzzakusReturns is offline  
post #13062 of 19188 Old 02-25-2018, 07:10 PM
Member
 
stonewahl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Williams View Post
My guess is the source and for me walking dead had a lot of grainy film look going on. So that's amplified when you have a compressed low resolution blown to 4k

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Thanks for your input. I had read about the graininess and how TWD is filmed but this set seems to have exaggerated that. I am actually finding that Ricoflashback’s settings seem to work most favorably. Thank you RFB!
Ricoflashback likes this.
stonewahl is offline  
post #13063 of 19188 Old 02-25-2018, 07:14 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 223
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 50
It's doing its thing i'm just not seeing fluorescent greys and banding.
omston is offline  
post #13064 of 19188 Old 02-25-2018, 07:19 PM
Member
 
KingLion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey All,

I just purchased the Nvidia Shield TV (locally) to test out some of my files. It's playing my 4K HDR files, mkv, mts, mov, everything I'm throwing at it after installing VLC to read the files. I have a 2 TB USB Drive connected directly to it and it's plugged into Input (HDMI) 2.

This thing was $194 after taxes!!

Is this something the 900e should be able to do should be able to do without me getting this $200 device? I have tried to plug in the same 2 TB HD directly to the TV, it knows a drive has a plugged in but can never see any of the HD's data. The drive is formatted as OS X Extended also, I heard NTFS would work but not sure. Wanted to check with you guys 1st.

Thanks
KingLion is offline  
post #13065 of 19188 Old 02-25-2018, 08:02 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by omston View Post
It's doing its thing i'm just not seeing fluorescent greys and banding.
Not fluorescent, just blown out to brighter levels. Explains you’re not noticing expecting it to be so extreme.

Either way, consider yourself lucky, and stop reading this forum before it makes you overly critical. Lol
MuzzakusReturns is offline  
post #13066 of 19188 Old 02-25-2018, 08:35 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by omston View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksnow66 View Post
Black uniformity - hi I just got a 900e 75 inch and am experiencing some blooming and uniformity issues. When I take picture of tv with local dimming turned off it looks like the below image. Can someone else try this test in a dark room local dimming off with a black screen and see if it is as bad as mine below ? I think this is what?s causing my issues.
Out of the box mine looked similar to yours and here it is with local dimming off a u tube test video 30 days later and before you say it your welcome.
What should I be seeing in your pictures ? Oh and always - thank you!
Ksnow66 is offline  
post #13067 of 19188 Old 02-26-2018, 02:21 AM
Member
 
jvilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Finally got my Wi-Fi strips installed plus Wi-Fi bulbs for the Ikea lamps underneath.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
RUBEN PORTILLO likes this.
jvilla is offline  
post #13068 of 19188 Old 02-26-2018, 04:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ricoflashback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Aurora, Colorado
Posts: 3,345
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1796 Post(s)
Liked: 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLion View Post
Hey All,

I just purchased the Nvidia Shield TV (locally) to test out some of my files. It's playing my 4K HDR files, mkv, mts, mov, everything I'm throwing at it after installing VLC to read the files. I have a 2 TB USB Drive connected directly to it and it's plugged into Input (HDMI) 2.

This thing was $194 after taxes!!

Is this something the 900e should be able to do should be able to do without me getting this $200 device? I have tried to plug in the same 2 TB HD directly to the TV, it knows a drive has a plugged in but can never see any of the HD's data. The drive is formatted as OS X Extended also, I heard NTFS would work but not sure. Wanted to check with you guys 1st.

Thanks
The Sony 900E does many things well and can’t be expected to be high quality, media player, as well. (IMHO)

Even though there are complaints (justified) about the Android interface, I still find the PQ, especially on Netflix, to be quite stellar and better than my Roku Ultra. Knock, knock but ARC works great with Netflix, which tells me that it’s all about implementation and the quality of the streaming site. I just finished watching Altered Carbon and the HDR colors were spectacular!

And speaking of movies - I watched a plain old Bluray (Blade Runner 2049) via my OPPO 103 and the upscaling by the Sony 900E and Dolby Atmos soundtrack was a real treat. The colors were almost HDR like, which is a real testament to the Sony 900E’s upscaling abilities - especially with better source material. Even Comcast Cable’s golf channel looked fantastic yesterday.

So, in closing, I don’t fault the Sony 900E for not having the horsepower or processing power to flawlessly handle media files like an Apple 4K player, Nvidia Shield or other like device. I think Sony put their money and development in providing the best PQ and bang for buck with the 900E model.
vtpossum likes this.

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, BenQ W1080ST, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)
Ricoflashback is offline  
post #13069 of 19188 Old 02-26-2018, 05:29 AM
Member
 
johnbrooke26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 91
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post
Help Jerry's kids. It helps to click on the right link. Duh.

Suggestion (and I hope I didn't miss it in the spreadsheet) - how about source? Example: Comcast Cable, Xfinity STB (model number, if you have it).

I think we see a lot of variations on PQ depending on your source for regular programming (not OTA) - - mainly cable or satellite. That might help folks who are having issues and common size it by provider.

Thx - Rico.
Thanks for the suggestion. I found that many people's source isn't singular and became difficult to track. For instance, you can run standard blu-rays through an Oppo 103. Others through the Sony X800, others through their PS4 or XBox One, etc. Would the source be any of those 4+ players, or just "blu-ray"? Each of those players have settings. Now add in an AVR, whether it's applying AV processing, and soon it's a big mess. I believe the same challenges exist for documenting cable or satellite as a source. However, because I agree with you that it's important I do include Source, Input, and Environment in the Sony XBR-##X900E - Your Settingsv3.pdf.

I also agree that anyone who is requesting help should include as many of the variables that they can to aide in troubleshooting.

Sony XBR-##X900E Picture Settings Summary spreadsheet
Vizio 2015 M-series Picture Settings Summary spreadsheet
Sony XBR-65X900E | Vizio M65-C1 | Yamaha TSR-7790BL AVR | DirecTV HR54-700 Genie | DirecTV C61K-700 4K Genie Minis | Roku Streaming Stick+ | XBox One Elite | AppleTV Gen 3 | Panasonic Blu-ray
johnbrooke26 is offline  
post #13070 of 19188 Old 02-26-2018, 05:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
HuskerHarley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Lincoln,Neb
Posts: 1,739
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuzzakusReturns View Post
To the people struggling with blooming and vertical banding, these factors generally show up in greyish scenes. Then X-tended Dynamic Range feature causes gamma to be raised to unpredictable levels during some scenes. Very dark greys that are unassuming all of a sudden get blown up into a glowing grey. The glowing greys in turn pronounces blooming and vertical banding.

While the X-tended Dynamic Range can provide pleasing pop in many scenes, it can totally ruin others. Try turning it off.

Do keep Auto-Dimming On, as without the contrast on the panel is very poor.
High-Medium-Low?
HuskerHarley is offline  
post #13071 of 19188 Old 02-26-2018, 05:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
HuskerHarley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Lincoln,Neb
Posts: 1,739
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Question

What is the Recommended Setting for:

"WIDE MODE"

Wide Zoom

Normal

Full (What I'm Currently Using)

Zoom
HuskerHarley is offline  
post #13072 of 19188 Old 02-26-2018, 05:51 AM
Advanced Member
 
eddysnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 741
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by omston View Post
Dude don't freak calm down mine wasn't perfect at first either after a month of hours its almost perfect now. If you have a 30 day return window give it some time and when you learn the adjustments you can darken it up. Backlighting makes it pop too.
With my last TV, I started out with backlighting and then stopped using it and got used to the completely dark theater room. I did this for years and enjoyed it. I went the first few months with this TV with no backlighting and it was fine, but I definitely noticed more blooming than I was used to with my old TV (I can't even compare how much brighter this TV is vs my old one). For the last 2 months or so, I've been back to backlighting and I'm amazed at how much of a difference it makes with this TV. I very rarely notice the blooming anymore and the way everything pops is crazy. This TV can do some wonderful things when you get it to where you like it!
eddysnake is offline  
post #13073 of 19188 Old 02-26-2018, 05:53 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerHarley View Post
High-Medium-Low?
Medium or even high is ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerHarley View Post
What is the Recommended Setting for:

"WIDE MODE"

Wide Zoom

Normal

Full (What I'm Currently Using)

Zoom
Full is the only sensible option, no overscan. The entire picture fits boarder to boarder
HuskerHarley likes this.
MuzzakusReturns is offline  
post #13074 of 19188 Old 02-26-2018, 05:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
I WANT MORE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: 'Middle of Nowhere
Posts: 2,725
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerHarley View Post
High-Medium-Low?
Medium.
HuskerHarley likes this.

Perhaps I misremembered.

I WANT MORE is offline  
post #13075 of 19188 Old 02-26-2018, 06:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
HuskerHarley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Lincoln,Neb
Posts: 1,739
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuzzakusReturns View Post
Medium or even high is ok

Full is the only sensible option, no overscan. The entire picture fits boarder to boarder
Thank-U.

I'll try "High" for a day or two (Hopefully, Permanently)

I use the "Full" but wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something like another setting having an effect on the Mode.
HuskerHarley is offline  
post #13076 of 19188 Old 02-26-2018, 06:14 AM
Member
 
atomic dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 167
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I have had my 75" 900E for a couple weeks now. This is a replacement to a 75" 850C that developed horrible vertical banding spaced every 4 inches (which was sad because I loved that TV). The 900E shows me that there have been some real improvements made, and it's a step up technically. The PQ is nothing short of amazing. A few comments I want to make as far as my experiences with my previous and this current TV.

Cable TV quality is garbage - Colors always seem washed, horrible macroblocking and motion artifacts. Honestly it is barely standable. A big 75" really shows how bad the input is and no amount of video processing will fix that.

Built in apps - the 900E acquits itself adequately. Not sexy but it gets the job done. Netflix and Amazon look just fine. Yea the interface is slow and full of bloat, but it works. Obviously external players like the Nv Shield are superior solutions.

Picture quality - the 75" I have at least is very good with 4k and 1080. I turn off local dimming because I don't care for how it looks. It's a personal thing. But in general this panel handles bright and darks much better than my old set, and gets much brighter. Viewing at angle is not as horrible as people make it out to be. Contrast washes out some, but it stays bright. As I watch the TV from the kitchen sometimes, I can see the image better than my old ips 75"

The quality of the input is everything. This is what I have come to understand. No TV is perfect, but this 900E is darn good. But playing with picture settings is really a must. I know some people don't want to mess with things like that, but I have found tweaking picture settings usually achieves desired results with a little patience. Thank goodness you can reset the settings if your tweaks go off the rails.

Anyway, just checking in to say how much I like this set. I am please I stepped up to the 900E -largely because of this thread convincing me the 900E was the real deal. So thanks to everybody posting in this thread!
atomic dog is offline  
post #13077 of 19188 Old 02-26-2018, 06:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
HuskerHarley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Lincoln,Neb
Posts: 1,739
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic dog View Post
I have had my 75" 900E for a couple weeks now. This is a replacement to a 75" 850C that developed horrible vertical banding spaced every 4 inches (which was sad because I loved that TV). The 900E shows me that there have been some real improvements made, and it's a step up technically. The PQ is nothing short of amazing. A few comments I want to make as far as my experiences with my previous and this current TV.

Cable TV quality is garbage - Colors always seem washed, horrible macroblocking and motion artifacts. Honestly it is barely standable. A big 75" really shows how bad the input is and no amount of video processing will fix that.

Built in apps - the 900E acquits itself adequately. Not sexy but it gets the job done. Netflix and Amazon look just fine. Yea the interface is slow and full of bloat, but it works. Obviously external players like the Nv Shield are superior solutions.

Picture quality - the 75" I have at least is very good with 4k and 1080. I turn off local dimming because I don't care for how it looks. It's a personal thing. But in general this panel handles bright and darks much better than my old set, and gets much brighter. Viewing at angle is not as horrible as people make it out to be. Contrast washes out some, but it stays bright. As I watch the TV from the kitchen sometimes, I can see the image better than my old ips 75"

The quality of the input is everything. This is what I have come to understand. No TV is perfect, but this 900E is darn good. But playing with picture settings is really a must. I know some people don't want to mess with things like that, but I have found tweaking picture settings usually achieves desired results with a little patience. Thank goodness you can reset the settings if your tweaks go off the rails.

Anyway, just checking in to say how much I like this set. I am please I stepped up to the 900E -largely because of this thread convincing me the 900E was the real deal. So thanks to everybody posting in this thread!
So far I've been tweaking my fingers to the bone...

I've been using STANDARD MODE settings. Before I start playing around with other Picture Mode settings, do they (Settings) stay with the Individual Mode or do they Change all Modes? My guess is they stay.

I could experiment/confirm but the Wife is using the TV and I don't dare interrupt her morning BS shows!!!
HuskerHarley is offline  
post #13078 of 19188 Old 02-26-2018, 06:45 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 3
New Owner

Pulled the trigger this weekend on a 75" 900e after a lot of research. I am very eager to get it delivered and installed later in the week.

My main concern in making this choice was I would predominantly be watching cable sports on this TV. I hope the "source" issues are not too big of a problem for me. Especially amplified on a 75".

I will look through the spreadsheet for recommended settings. Does anyone have recommendations for sports?


Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInPa View Post
I picked up my 49" 900E yesterday and as of now quite disappointed...
@LostInPa did you get your set to work well with FIOS? I also have FIOS.
dubvdingo is offline  
post #13079 of 19188 Old 02-26-2018, 07:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ricoflashback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Aurora, Colorado
Posts: 3,345
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1796 Post(s)
Liked: 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbrooke26 View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. I found that many people's source isn't singular and became difficult to track. For instance, you can run standard blu-rays through an Oppo 103. Others through the Sony X800, others through their PS4 or XBox One, etc. Would the source be any of those 4+ players, or just "blu-ray"? Each of those players have settings. Now add in an AVR, whether it's applying AV processing, and soon it's a big mess. I believe the same challenges exist for documenting cable or satellite as a source. However, because I agree with you that it's important I do include Source, Input, and Environment in the Sony XBR-##X900E - Your Settingsv3.pdf.

I also agree that anyone who is requesting help should include as many of the variables that they can to aide in troubleshooting.
All great points - especially with any source routed through an AVR. But I think the most important source that should be noted is your cable or satellite provider. That's where there seems to be most of the issues. And, as a caveat, I think we can say that routing anything through an AVR - - do not have the AVR "upscale" anything. Native pass through while the Sony handles the upscaling.

Your other points are right on, as well. Cables can make a difference but all things being equal, if you have a high speed, HDMI cable (especially if it is certified) - that shouldn't be a problem.

Where this can help the most, IMHO, is with cable & satellite where folks with the same provider can see what settings are working the best for individual posters. Of course, the type of STB can make a difference, too, (newer 4K boxes) but seeing what works for main cable & satellite providers can help identify issues that maybe solved by tweaking settings for that specific source.

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, BenQ W1080ST, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)
Ricoflashback is offline  
post #13080 of 19188 Old 02-26-2018, 07:49 AM
Member
 
Sanookdi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 182
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Local dimming

Reading the past couple of pages, some people turn on local dimming, some turn off. I thought the whole point of buying a FALD TV was to have this feature turned on

My Home theater Set-Up:
Sony XBR75X900E (Prior TVs included LG OLED65B6P, Samsung KS8000/8500, KU6300)
LG LAS465 2.1-Channel 300W Sound Bar w/ Wireless Subwoofer
Philips BDP7501 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray player with HDR support
Other TV: Sony XBR49X900E (Returned Samsung UN49MU8000FXZA)
Sanookdi is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
issues , motion , motionflow , problems , Sony , sound delay , x900e

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off